logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2018 08:00:48(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Weekend
Title: Victory
Genre(s): Rock-Pop, Pop, R&B
Length: 3:19
Writer: D.Blue, R.Hamilton, S.Wellington
Producer: LosOscuros
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBC

Victory is a song by British-Irish pop group Weekend. The song was released worldwide on December 17th 2018 and serves as the lead single from their upcoming and as-of-yet untitled third studio album, set to be released in early 2019. It also marks the first release for the group in over three years, following some personal downtime after their Here We Go Again world tour and allowing group member Oscar Ward time off to heal following surgery on his vocal chords in mid 2016. The song showcases a natural progression in the band's sound, retaining the rock-pop, almost stadium rock sound that they are known and loved for while incorporating some smoother, R&B styled beats throughout to make the track less aggressive in sound. "Victory" is a story about not giving up on a lost love and lover, willing to fight through the dark times and emerge victorious in spite of naysayers and the obstacles thrown throughout. Some parents have highlighted concern over some lyrics which suggest a suicide attempt, deeming it "too heavy" for a band that has a huge young audience like Weekend. The song was a "surprise release", dropping on all platforms without prior warning or promotion.

Weekend initially began to work on their third studio album while on the road in 2015 and 2016, during their Here We Go Again world tour. The plan was to release the album in either late 2016 or early 2017 but plans came to a halt when Oscar Ward had to endure vocal chord surgery. With Ward being the lead singer of the group, it put plans on the shelf indefinitely. While Oscar recuperated, the remaining four members of the band would occasionally throw out and work on creative ideas but not venture any further than a rough demo or voice note, hoping that they would have enough material to work on as swiftly as possible when it was safe for Oscar to return to singing. Most of the material, however, was discarded by the time the quintet reunited in the studios to properly work on the project again, citing new life experiences for inspiration behind "bigger" and "better" material. The chorus from "Victory", was one of the only pieces to survive from the 2016 material.

Written by three of the members: Dustyn Blue, Riley Hamilton and Scott Wellington, Victory was in the making for two years. It initially started off as a different song composed by Blue and Wellington. When they returned to the studio in early 2018 for a writing session, Blue, Hamilton and Wellington began to work on a new composition but were failing to find a suitable chorus. Blue then remembered the demo for Victory and played it to his writing partners. They then lifted the section from the old song, reworked some of the melody and pieced together the final version. Many critics instantly praised the song's lyrics for showing growth but a handful were disgruntled at the depiction of a suicide attempt. Ward's verse in particular was critcised especially for the lines; "A splash in the blue, you found it hard to breathe/Resurfaced and awoken with brand new eyes to see" with many believing that it suggests a suicide attempt is what it takes to change someone's mind, if they are lucky enough to survive. Scott Wellington, one of the writers, dismissed this by saying: "The song isn't actually about a suicide attempt. It's just about frustration, wanting to run away and do something extreme to feel alive again and wash away all the negativity that's bogging you down. People are watching and worried but in the end, it's more like a rebirth. It's sort of like after you've had a huge, brilliant cry on a shoulder and you suddenly feel lighter, seeing things with new eyes."

Critical reception for Victory has been mostly positive upon release with many highlighting the lyrical content, natural growth in music and the much welcomed return of the beloved act. Gil Kaufman of Billboard was one to hail the lyrical content, calling it "genius" and "a firm reminder that Weekend are not your typical boy band, always offering something different than the "I'm heartbroken, I'm sad, please be my baby again" tropes of the boy band world". He then went on to praise Dustyn Blue, calling him "a master of the pen" and a "no holds barred pop genius". Mike Nied of Idolator opined that "the song reveals a different side of Weekend". He felt that it was "refreshing to hear them add in some R&B undertones and smoother harmonies". Jesse Willis of Noisey also highlighted and commended the new vocal styling of the group stating; "Rather than the usual chant-like, husky combination of Oscar and Dustyn leading the forefront of the chorus, we are greeted with a much smoother sounding harmony in which Dustyn, Billy and Riley are far more prominent and still manage to pack as much punch as your typical, stadium erupting Weekend chorus".

Jon Blistein said that "the song isn't an immediate blow to the head" when comparing it to their previous work but then went on to state that "Victory instead slowly reveals itself after each listen. The slightly dark lyrics and the more subdued production might be a confusing listen at first but you'll be chanting "standing in our victory!" before the night is out". David Renshaw of The Fader also made similar statements; "It's not an underwhelming release by any means, in fact it's probably their best to date but it's not an "instant bop" that one might expect from a pop giant making a comeback. The song unravels and gently flourishes and showcases its beauty over time." He then went on to dub it the "perfect comeback song" as it is "different enough to stand out from past material but not a far cry away from what makes them so beloved to their legion of fans. Renshaw rounded off the review by branded them "marketing kings" and applauded them for releasing a big, soaring track during the holidays for that coveted Christmas #1 spot".

Victory

All
Billy
Dustyn
Oscar
Riley
Scott

Perched on the pier where we met
Your feet dangling, sweaty palms on the edge
Wondering if you've got the guts to jump
Or brave the weathers from the clouds above
We messed up, we messed up twice
But I think we deserve another roll of the dice

I've been to war for you, kept on pushing through
I've seen through the darkness into your heart
I know you've been in a war too, keep pushing through
Standing out on the battlefield for you

When you're struggling to find the light
Know that I'll be the saviour, the star to guide
Fled from their words, our failings, ran from the pain
But you can only go so far, it gets colder in the rain
They say that it's only fools who fall in love
Paint me as the biggest clown but I'm not giving up on us

I've seen through the darkness into you heart

I've ran through the fires and back again
Tread on shattered glass for miles on end
I fight the fight with you to stand in victory
Love doesn't have to be a losing game
Why's it always gotta be us against them?
I'm here with you tonight, let's start a different story
We could be standing in victory, in our victory
It's our victory, this is our victory, ay

You're slipping, so tired and broken down
With the weight of the world, I prayed you wouldn't drown
A splash in the blue, you found it hard to breathe
Resurfaced and awoken with brand new eyes to see
Survived the jump, there's no more time for regrets
Come and wrap in my embrace, 'cause we aren't finished yet

I've seen through the darkness into you heart

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 10 October 2019 13:25:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
FiveT on 18/12/2018(UTC), erich hess on 18/12/2018(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 18/12/2018(UTC), freestylechamp on 19/12/2018(UTC), Atonic Records on 26/12/2018(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 21/01/2019(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/07/2020(UTC)
Offline FiveT  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2018 09:07:35(UTC)
FiveT

Groups: Registered
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 3231 time(s) in 1294 post(s)
Den: Finally a new song from Weekend, I've seen them from start to becoming legends and I'm feeling like a proud papa. Also to hear a song about empowering like this! Wow!! Just amazing! Singing at the top of my lungs!

Jo: Heard the new song and my cousin after the surgery stinks more but still sounds very well. Good job cuz, good.

Martina: I'm usualky a feminist type, I like equality and female-empowering. But once in a while, and I think most girls will agreee, we like to feel protected by our man and I don't think I ever heard a boyband hitting this theme in a song. Kudos to you boys!

MY ACTIVE ACTS
Titans (Laurence, Jo, Martina, Den, Tanya)
Kegan Dawson - Actor, presenter, radio speaker, model, showman
Cj Frankson - Youtuber, Actor, model, showman
Rashai Mari - Model, Dj
Igor Stanovski - Russian tycoon, businessman
Claire Becker - Writer, vocal coach, presenter, radio speaker
Augusto Lincoln - Enterpreneur, model, manager
Lukas Paradiso - Model, Actor

The Jollies
Zafari Mari 👩🏾‍🦲, Rose Hemsworth 👩🏻‍🦰, David Hernandez 👱🏻, Natasha Stanovski 👧🏻, Fabriano Galore 👨🏻

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Creating Sims content here on my YouTube channel! -----> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Tq0J8bDFMidZWlrFK0gtQ
thanks 1 user thanked FiveT for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/12/2018(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2018 09:25:58(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
Erica:clearly trying to come after the cass-ettes momentum....*rolls with laughter.* yeah,i couldnt hold that amused laugh in either. some of weekend's finest work. ii'm, just going to make the comparison...they're the closest thing to michael jackson we have. snazzy little pop tunes that are actually well written and have meaning.

Nina:and we are pretty sure billy would fuck a monkey...or let it fuck him,depending on the day,love.

Erich:on my deathbed i am going to make the wild claim that dustyn ghost wrote every atomic war bride song. thus making my ..estate lots of money? my plan has certain flaws,sure.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/12/2018(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2018 01:56:32(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Tyler: Christmas comes early for weekend fans. I think this is a good present and really glad people can look at some of the not so house names of the group and point to their songwriting. All those good things but lets be clear Billy took that "Paint me as a clown" line litterally

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/12/2018(UTC)