logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hellspawn  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2012 09:40:55(UTC)
Hellspawn

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 212 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Well as you should know I'm from Argentina and want to know what do you think of the Falklands War (Guerra de Malvinas in Argentina). I want to know what do you think of the british continuance in that argentinian islands.

ABOUT THE WAR

On 2 April 1982, Argentine forces mounted amphibious landings of the Falkland Islands (Spanish: Islas Malvinas). The invasion involved an initial defence force organised by the Falkland Islands' Governor Sir Rex Hunt giving command to Major Mike Norman of the Royal Marines, the landing of Lieutenant-Commander Guillermo Sánchez-Sabarots' Amphibious Commandos Group on Mullet Creek, the attack on Moody Brook barracks, the engagement between the amphibious personnel carriers of Hugo Santillán and Bill Trollope marines east of Stanley, and the battle and final surrender of Government House. It marked the beginning of the Falklands War.
The Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas or Guerra del Atlántico Sur), also known as the Falklands Conflict or Falklands Crisis, was a 1982 limited war between Argentina and the United Kingdom. The conflict resulted from the long-standing dispute over the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, which lie in the South Atlantic east of Argentina.

UserPostedImage
Argentinian Soldiers

UserPostedImage
Controversial pic of argentinian soldiers with the british flag

Casualties and losses of the war:

Argentina:
649 killed
1,068 wounded
11,313 taken prisoner
18 aircraft lost
3 Warship lost

UK:
258 killed
775 wounded
115 taken prisoner
33 aircraft lost
8 warship lost

Position of third party countries:
An important factor was military support. The USA provided the United Kingdom with military equipment ranging from submarine detectors to the latest missiles. France provided dissimilar aircraft training so Harrier pilots could train against the French aircraft used by Argentina. French and British intelligence also worked to prevent Argentina from obtaining more Exocets on the international market. Chile gave support to Britain in the form of Intelligence about Argentine military and radar early warning.

Argentina was supported by Israeli IAI advisors, who were already in the country and continued their work during the conflict. Israel also sold weapons and crucial drop tanks that extended the combat radius of Argentine fighter-bombers, in a secret operation triangulated over Peru. Peru also openly sent "Mirages, pilots and missiles" to Argentina during the war. Through Libya, under Muammar Gaddafi, Argentina received 20 launchers and 60 SA-7 missiles, as well as machine guns, mortars and mines, all in all, the load of four trips of two Boeing 707 of the AAF, refuelled in Recife with the knowledge and consent of the Brazilian government.

ARA General Belgrano sinking:
By 29 April the ships were patrolling the Burdwood Bank, south of the islands. On 30 April the Belgrano was detected by the British nuclear-powered hunter-killer submarine HMS Conqueror. The submarine approached over the following day. Although the group was outside the British-declared Total Exclusion Zone of 370 km (200 nautical miles) radius from the islands, the British decided that it was a threat. After consultation at Cabinet level, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher agreed that Commander Chris Wreford-Brown should attack the Belgrano.

Important:
Before the sinking of ARA General Belgrano, no british soldier was killed. Peace was still possible. Other important thing is that the British gorvenment sent the Brigade of Gurkhas (mercenaries from Nepal) to the war.

Now:
Actually tension between the two countries is rising because the British Army sent their "best" warship to the islands.

Quote:
President Cristina Fernandez said Tuesday that Argentina will formally complain to the U.N. Security Council that Britain has created a serious security risk by sending one of its most modern warships to the disputed Falkland Islands.

She accused British Prime Minister David Cameron of militarizing their nations’ dispute over sovereignty of the South Atlantic archipelago, which Argentines say the British stole from them nearly 180 years ago.

Argentines are united in their desire to win back the islands they call the Malvinas through diplomacy and negotiation, she said, urging Cameron to "give peace a chance" by avoiding moves that push the dispute into dangerous territory.

Some people here's talking about a possible future war but it won't never happen, any argentinian want another war.

Edited by user 11 February 2012 01:10:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rincewind  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2012 20:08:49(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
right.... As someone who is British i personally disagree with serveal parts of that post..

but first of all, the Argentines always start to press their claims to the Falklands when their president needs to bolster support for other policies.

Right... back to the topic at hand.... the first person to Land on the Islands was a British explorer called John Strong. The Islands were Settled soon after by the French and British.. The French sold their half of the islands to the Spanish in the 1700's the British did not, and while we abandoned our colony their we reserved the recognised political right to re-establish later on.
the spanish abandoned the Islands in 1811, leaving them unclaimed.
while the argentines laid claim to the Islands in the 1820's they didn't send anyone out there untill the 1830's and in 1833 they were expelled by the british... we then signed a treaty with Argentina in the 1850's confirming our rights to the Islands.

personally i think it is the people who live on the islands right to determine what form and type of government they have.. seeing as the Argentine government has only hend effective control of the Islands for 4 months since Argentinia came into existance makes their claims spurious in my opinion, and since the population of the Islands want to remain part of the United Kingdom we have a duty to protect their wishes.
their is no international legislation that proves the Argentinian government has a right to the Islands, while their is legistaltion that upholds our rights to them.
If anyone else has a claim to the Islands it is the Spanish not the Argentine government.

Geography is irrelevant. Just because somewhere looks close on a map of the world does not mean that they should belong to the nearest greater land mass. A childish argument that has no relevance to any serious debate about the islanders rights and freedoms. In 65 years of the United Nations, Argentina has failed to get any substantial support Out of 192 UN member nations, only 33 (17%) support Argentina's mandate for sovereignty change. All of them are members of the OAS. Spain has never formally supported Argentina's claim.

also the Ghurka's are not merc's they are a recognised part of the Bitish Military and calling them mercinaries is insulting both to them and their long record of service.

Edited by user 10 February 2012 20:09:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2012 21:24:35(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I could not give less of a shit about who landed on the Falklands first, or anything else out of history. The Falkland War is a depressing moment in British history.

BUT, and I'm far, far, far from a British patriot and every time I hear the Argentinians go on about the Falklands I cringe. Because it's pathetic. All that really matters here is what the people who live on the island want. I firmly believe in the rights of self-determination. The island had no indigenous people, and so the end of the matter is do the people who live there now want to be British or Argentine? Until they decide to be Argentine then it really doesn't matter what failing Argentine politicians want to do with the Falklands. Lets be honest, they only want the islands to extend their territorial waters over a presumed rich oil field. The British government feel the same way. Neither really gives a fuck about the islanders themselves. And yet they'd still prefer to belong to the British crown. Incidentally, I don't, I support Scotland leaving the UK.

I must say that the rhetoric coming from Buenos Aires is really concerning though, god damn awful jingoistic war-mongering talk. It's just depressing in the 21st century that this pissing contest can go on and goodness only knows where it'll end. You'd hope that no longer being ruled by a tin pot general would ensure war is not going to happen but...fucking people.

Oh yeah and dude, not cool trying to fuck the rep of the Gurkhas. Those guys are not mercenaries, retired Gurkhas recieve a British army pension and are entitled to settle in the UK.

And tensions were rising along time before HMS Dauntless was sent to the islands (as a direct replacement for HMS Montrose.) Sorry brah, but you need to look a bit closer to home for the source of the heat here, such as banning boats flying the Falkland land from a handful of South American ports.
Offline Hellspawn  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2012 01:04:49(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
right.... As someone who is British i personally disagree with serveal parts of that post..

but first of all, the Argentines always start to press their claims to the Falklands when their president needs to bolster support for other policies.

Right... back to the topic at hand.... the first person to Land on the Islands was a British explorer called John Strong. The Islands were Settled soon after by the French and British.. The French sold their half of the islands to the Spanish in the 1700's the British did not, and while we abandoned our colony their we reserved the recognised political right to re-establish later on.
the spanish abandoned the Islands in 1811, leaving them unclaimed.
while the argentines laid claim to the Islands in the 1820's they didn't send anyone out there untill the 1830's and in 1833 they were expelled by the british... we then signed a treaty with Argentina in the 1850's confirming our rights to the Islands.

personally i think it is the people who live on the islands right to determine what form and type of government they have.. seeing as the Argentine government has only hend effective control of the Islands for 4 months since Argentinia came into existance makes their claims spurious in my opinion, and since the population of the Islands want to remain part of the United Kingdom we have a duty to protect their wishes.
their is no international legislation that proves the Argentinian government has a right to the Islands, while their is legistaltion that upholds our rights to them.
If anyone else has a claim to the Islands it is the Spanish not the Argentine government.

Geography is irrelevant. Just because somewhere looks close on a map of the world does not mean that they should belong to the nearest greater land mass. A childish argument that has no relevance to any serious debate about the islanders rights and freedoms. In 65 years of the United Nations, Argentina has failed to get any substantial support Out of 192 UN member nations, only 33 (17%) support Argentina's mandate for sovereignty change. All of them are members of the OAS. Spain has never formally supported Argentina's claim.

also the Ghurka's are not merc's they are a recognised part of the Bitish Military and calling them mercinaries is insulting both to them and their long record of service.

First: thanks for commenting.

Supporters of the Argentine position make the following claims:

> That sovereignty of the islands was transferred to Argentina from Spain upon independence, a principle known as uti possidetis juris.
> That Spain never renounced sovereignty over the islands, even when a British settlement existed.
> That Great Britain abandoned its settlement in 1776, and formally renounced sovereignty in the Nootka Sound Convention. Argentina has always claimed the Falklands, and never renounced its claim.
> That the re-establishment of British rule on the Falklands (referred to as an "act of force" by Argentina) was illegal under international law, and this has been noted and protested by Argentina since 17 June 1833.
> That the principle of self-determination is not applicable since the current inhabitants are not aboriginal and were brought to replace the Argentine population.
> That the Argentine population was expelled by an "act of force" in 1833.
> That the islands are located on the continental shelf facing Argentina, which would give them a claim, as stated in the 1958 UN Convention on the Continental Shelf.
> That Great Britain was looking to extend its territories in Americas as shown with the British invasions of the Río de la Plata years earlier.

"Argentina has failed to get any substantial support Out of 192 UN member nations, only 33 (17%) support Argentina's mandate for sovereignty change" obviously, man! The UK is one of the most-powerful nations world wide so the entire world want to support them!

And talking about he Ghurka's: They ARE mercenaries, my uncle went to the war and he saw how the Ghurkas tortured argentinian soldiers, I can't say they are just soldiers.

Edited by user 11 February 2012 01:09:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Hellspawn  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2012 01:15:20(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
It's just depressing in the 21st century that this pissing contest can go on and goodness only knows where it'll end.

And it's more depressing to have british soldiers and their most-powerful warship near to my country.
Offline Rincewind  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2012 02:46:52(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

the argentine colonists were never forced out, just the military personel.. even if we did expel the argentine colonists, they were not native to the Islands either making your point redundent either way.
uti possidetis juris is somting only the argentines argue, no one else agree's with it.Uti Possidetis juris was not international law until the 1940's. The ancient theory of Uti Posseditis what was never the international law at the time. It was just a theory or 'principle' back then as there was no no binding universal international law in the 1800's to control nations. So this claim is nothing more than a self righteous falsehood, and cannot be legally binding. It was never Argentina's right, especially when they never controlled it during the independence period. Spain did not recognise Argentina until 1859, 26 years after Britain had reasserted its earlier claim. It is highly debatable whether a revolting colony can inherit anything and in Spain's recognition of Argentina it failed to provide for any inheritance. Indeed how can anyone inherit something that's long been lost?
Spain did not transfer the rights to the colony to Argentinia, it sold them to France, making that point moot anyway.. So yes Spain did renounce their claim to the Islands.... by selling it to France.

we British did not technically abandon the islands anyway, they were used by whalers and fishermen as a home port for various amounts of time... Also when the Argentine government did claim the islands in the 1800's there were over 50 british ships there using it as a port.
Britain never renounced it's claim the Nookta Sound treaty supported the 1771 agreement. Also Argentine did renounce it's claim by failing to protest for two lengthy periods and by an all encompassing treaty between the two nations. After 1833 the Buenos Aires province under governor Rosas protested to the British until 1850. In 1850 Britain and Argentina signed the Convention of Settlement Treaty which settled All differences and created Perfect relations between the two nations and the islands remained in British control. There were no further protests from Argentina until they completed their annexation of Patagonia. The then Argentine goverment under President Celman tried their luck by protesting in 1888 and offering to take the matter to arbitration. However Britain refused, in view of the 1850 treaty and considered the matter was closed. The Argentine goverment did not continue the protest to Britain and there was not another protest to the British until 1941. In the 90 whole years of non-protest between 1850 and 1941, there were several adminstrative acts on the islands including the formation of a government and immigration without any interference from Argentina. Failure to protest is a form of acceptance.

I think it is increddibly hipocritical for Argentina to protest vigoursly about their military expulsion from the Falklands after two months of occupation and yet find it perfectly acceptable that they annexxed land the size of India in the 1800's from the native population.

The Ghurkas are not Mercs, they are part of the British armed forces and should be treated as such, and with the proper amount of respect.
and im just like:
Offline Hellspawn  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2012 03:27:15(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

I won't agree with you ever but Ghurkas are mercenaries.

UserPostedImage
My uncle went to the war and the Ghurkas were wild torturers, I can't call that a soldier.

The Ghurkas were well-known in the war for using an insane amount of bullets to kill each soldier.

But be shure, I'm not defending the argentinian the military government. They killed more argentinians than the british.
Offline forkboy  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2012 04:12:43(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Hellspawn Go to Quoted Post
It's just depressing in the 21st century that this pissing contest can go on and goodness only knows where it'll end.

And it's more depressing to have british soldiers and their most-powerful warship near to my country.
No it's not. The French can handle it. The Irish. The Germans. The Norwegians. ETC for the rest of Europe. Also, when we're talking about Brtain's most powerful warship lets take some perspective. Actually, no, lets take some facts. For a start, define "most-powerful". Because I'd suggest that whatever Vanguard class nuclear submarine is currently in the south Atlantic is a far more devestating boat myself, what with them being armed with 16 Lockheed Trident II D5 ballistic missiles, with 192 nuclear warheads.

Also the era of Britain as a top level nation as far as international diplomacy goes, it's a firmly 2nd tier nation now. The reason there is little international support for Argentina to takeover the Falklands is simple: the people who live on the Falklands don't want your government as their government. It doesn't go any further than that. Until a majority of Falkland Islanders want to become Argentine citizen, that situation is not changing. Get used to it brah. Blame Galtieri for starting a ludicrous invasion.

It's time faltering Argentine politicians find a new hobby horse to beat to death because I will never forgive you guys if you fuck up again, go to war, thus shoring up an unpopular Tory government not too long before an election in a wave of jingoism that dooms us to a decade of Tory misery, as happened last time a desperately unpopular Argentine regime tried to flex its muscles and got horribly humiliated.
Offline forkboy  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2012 04:20:21(UTC)
forkboy

PS, shut the fuck up about the Gurkhas please. Serious. They get the right to settle in the United Kingdom if they so want. They recieve a state pension when their service is over. None of this applies to mercenaries. Gurkha soldiers have served in the British military since before Argentina had signed its declaration of independence. After Indian independence was confirmed, six of the Gurkha regiments were to serve in the Indian army, & 4 with the British Army. Again, not mercs.

Mercs aren't the only soldiers who commit horrible acts in war, that's every armed unit that has the potential. It's the problem with desensitising human beings in such away that they can become effective killing machines.
Offline Hellspawn  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2012 04:38:36(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

I don't give a fuck if the Ghurkas are part of the british army...They were fucking criminals in the Falklands Islands. I can talk about that because my uncle was there and he told me everything.

Well I think I won't keep commenting here, you're british, I'm argentinian, we won't never agree.

God Bless Our Heroes!

Edited by user 11 February 2012 04:39:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline forkboy  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2012 06:36:32(UTC)
forkboy

I don't give a fuck if the Ghurkas are part of the british army...They were fucking criminals in the Falklands Islands. I can talk about that because my uncle was there and he told me everything.

yeah, I'm not arguing that they weren't or that they were. I am simply stating that you made a factual inaccuracy about the status of the Gurkhas several times (by calling them mercenaries when clearly they are not). That's all it comes down to. I'm sure soldiers on all sides commited atrocities coz y'know, that's what happens in war.

And no, incidentally we won't agree because you're swept up in a depressing jingoistic fever and I'm an internationalist who believes nationalism is a harmful force that's utterly out-dated for the 20th century. Oh, and you don't respect the right of self-determination for people who have lived on those godforsaken worthless islands for 150 years, which is just ridiculous and without a positively 19th century sense of nationalist mindset impossible to justify.
Offline Hellspawn  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2012 06:59:23(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

yeah, I'm not arguing that they weren't or that they were. I am simply stating that you made a factual inaccuracy about the status of the Gurkhas several times (by calling them mercenaries when clearly they are not). That's all it comes down to. I'm sure soldiers on all sides commited atrocities coz y'know, that's what happens in war.

And no, incidentally we won't agree because you're swept up in a depressing jingoistic fever and I'm an internationalist who believes nationalism is a harmful force that's utterly out-dated for the 20th century. Oh, and you don't respect the right of self-determination for people who have lived on those godforsaken worthless islands for 150 years, which is just ridiculous and without a positively 19th century sense of nationalist mindset impossible to justify.

Here in Latin America the Ghurkas are known as mercenaries but well let's say they are soliders.

"nationalism is a harmful force htat's uttery out-dated for the 20th century"
And Colonialism???
Offline Rincewind  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2012 07:35:38(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

self determination should be everyones right and as long as the majority of a population desire a certain form of governence, thats what they should have.

and if you want to talk about falklands war crimes, clear your own house out first..
A soldiers job is to kill, something the Ghurka's do very well.
and im just like:
Offline DistortedAudio  
#14 Posted : 11 February 2012 07:38:39(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)

Here in Latin America the Ghurkas are known as mercenaries but well let's say they are soliders.

And Colonialism???

I don't think he's arguing that they didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure they did, as he as said, but if you guys are calling them Mercenaries, that's a misuse of the word. Mercenaries are usually those of mixed nationality hired by another country with no interest in the conflict besides a financial gang. A good example of a sort of modern Mercenary is a Private Security Company, they aren't exactly the same (most likely due to the bad connotations behind the word Mercenary), but they are hired to cover Very Important Persons (V.I.P.) and protect points but say, didn't actively fight in Iraqi War.

So Ghurkas =/= Mercenaries.

Also this conversation is going to get increasingly hostile, so I'd suggest ending it, I mean it's one thing when we're all exchanging ideas meaningfully but strongly, but I can easily see this turning into a mud-flinging contest.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline DistortedAudio  
#15 Posted : 11 February 2012 07:44:31(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rincewind Go to Quoted Post
self determination should be everyones right and as long as the majority of a population desire a certain form of governence, thats what they should have.

and if you want to talk about falklands war crimes, clear your own house out first..
A soldiers job is to kill, something the Ghurka's do very well.

Yeah, that totally is their job, if you're going to be near-sighted about it I suppose. A Soldier's Job usually includes killing but more or less it's following orders, there are several branches of the United States Military that don't revolve around KILLKILLKILL, such as the Finance Corps., not to mention the Civil Affairs branch.

Most Soldiers Kill, not all do.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Hellspawn  
#16 Posted : 11 February 2012 07:50:33(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

The soldiers have to kill, not have to torture.
Offline forkboy  
#17 Posted : 11 February 2012 10:13:35(UTC)
forkboy

And Colonialism???

You'll find nothing I've said to support colonialism. It was an arrogant policy to have. But what do you want us to do about it now? Take back everything European colonial powers have ever done? Ship all the blacks back to Africa? Ship the vast majority of the population of South America back to Spain? North America to the British Isles? Leave it to the indigenous people? It's a lovely idea but it's too far gone. And so it is with the Falkland Islands. Which at least has the bonus of, unlike Argentina, USA, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Jamaica, Chile, etc, not having a native indigenous people who were displaced, mistreated, oppressed and killed out by the descendants of Europeans.

The Falkland Islands is a remanant of colonialism, it's true. But frankly what's done is done. Unless you fancy moving back to Spain then I think it's frankly ludicrous to hold the Falkland Islanders to a different standard than yourself. Unlike Argentina, they are still happy with their colonial overlords, they prefer self-government under London than Buenos Aires. It's as simple as really.
Offline forkboy  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2012 10:24:41(UTC)
forkboy

The soldiers have to kill, not have to torture.

Question. Would you rather be killed or tortured and live?

It's an inherently absurd question. Trying to paint one as worse than the other is just daft. Both are abhorrent actions that are a direct result of the way we desensitise our soldiers to turn them into industrial killing machines. You take away someones natural instinct to not want to murder, you are left with a human that has the potential to be not very moral at all. Find me a war where atrocities weren't commited. On all sides.

I mean look at World War 2. Certainly in this country it's portrayed as a conflict on good versus evil, democracy vs fascism. But the allies would never have won without the Soviet Union sending millions of soldiers into the grinder, until the brutal Russian winter pushed back the Nazis. And then look at some of the atrocities the allies commited. Fire bombing of one of the north sea port towns, Hamburg, or Lubeck, I forget exactly which one. The huge strategic bombing campaign over Germany which was on a scale far bigger than the German bombing campaign on the UK, killing thousands of civilians. Hiroshima & Nagasaki, I mean Jesus Christ.

War is brutal. War is horrible. War is abhorrent. War is by its very nature dehumanising, violent, and it is inevitable that atrocities will occur, it's only a question of when.
Offline Hellspawn  
#19 Posted : 11 February 2012 10:51:42(UTC)
Hellspawn

Man

Well I have to recongnise that you know a lot of this topics but we won't ever agree...

Now, the british government confirmed that they have Nuclear weapons in the Falklands!!! Why? I don't know, do they think Argentina will attack the islands??
Offline forkboy  
#20 Posted : 11 February 2012 11:02:59(UTC)
forkboy

Actually the Argentine government have CLAIMED that the UK has sent a nuclear submarine of the Vanguard class into the south Atlantic Ocean. The UK does not have any missiles which can be launched from land AND armed with nuclear warheads, the countries entire nuclear arsenal is on some of the 4 Vanguard class subs in the Royal Navy. And anyway, they can only be launched with permission from America, that's my favourite thing of our politicians talking about it being vital to keep "an independent nuclear deterrent", we've not even had one since the 1960s!

But no, the only time that the British government reveal the location of one of the subs is when they've had a wee accident, like the time one got stuck on a sandbar near the Isle of Skye a couple of years ago, or the time another one collided with a French sub off the coast of Ireland 5 or 6 years ago. There is no smilie on this board to appropriately sum up how much this makes me laugh.

Incidentally, we don't even agree that we won't ever agree. I have faith that all humanity can see the folly of war :-)