logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2014 10:50:22(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1322 time(s) in 637 post(s)
UserPostedImage

[photo of a three year old Jackson and her little cousin]

Artist: Tisha Jackson
Song: The Miseducation
Album: The Highway to Redemption: Redeemed Edition
written by: T.Jackson
Produced by: Tisha Jackson
Label: FREEDOM
Genre: Pop, Soul
Length: 3:33

Background, Concept, and Vocal arrangements for ‘The Miseducation’

‘The Misedcation’ serves as the first single from Jackson’s re-release of ‘The Highway to Redemption’ titled ‘The Highway to Redemption: Redeemed Edition’. The song was written in April of 2014 and it’s origin was mentioned in the May 2014 issue of Vogue, as Tisha Jackson was the cover story. In the article Jackson reveals the inspiration behind the song was the sexual abuse she endured at thirteen when she was raped by a childhood friend. The song is a very emotional number as Jackson doesn’t belt at all but sings in a very modest, innocent like tone. Jackson recounts the rape with lines like “Subjected on your thirteenth year, so when you grew into a woman, you thought every man was out to physically and mentally hurt ya” and “But I admire your twerking and fast living , just as much as you admire the prick who sacked and kept your innocence when you were thirteen”. Jackson also stated in the Vogue article that the message behind the song is to “let go” and that it isn’t only for people who have been sexually abused, “the message is to let go of whatever makes you unhappy so you can find happy”.

Two instruments are played on the entire track of “The Miseducation’, being a guitar (primarily used) and the piano (modestly used). The beat begins with the light strumming of an acoustic guitar followed by the low tone of piano keys. Jackson sings the entire song using her lower register. In the song Jackson label the people (no gender was given to her reference) who have toyed and broken her heart as “players”. Admitting that she could never chooses a partner who could understand or truly love her.

In the first verse Jackson gets into specifics about what she was referencing in the chorus. Revealing that she was often admired as a child and she grew up to become an admirable beautiful and powerful woman. However she admits to be insecure as she says she can’t keep eye contact with men because she’s scared he will notice her flaws inside and out. She blames that insecurity on her being subjected sexually at the tender age of thirteen.

In verse 2 Jackson discloses the hate she feels towards not only her attacker but the men and or women who have hurt her. She explains that she shouldn’t stay hating them because they have moved on with their lives and goes on to mention their damnation for them toying with her heart. Jackson also uses many metaphors in the second verse as she is singing in third person about herself to herself. She uses lines like “But I admire your twerking and fast living, just as much as you admire the prick who sacked and kept your innocence when you were thirteen” sarcastically saying she doesn’t admire the fast life she’s living/lived comparing her admiration to that life of the person who raped her. Jackson also compares her fast living to the life of a twelve year old “Drew Barrymore” who was addicted to drugs by age twelve and rehabilitated and emancipated by age fourteen. Towards the songs bridge and final verse, Tisha assures herself that she is beautiful and worth it. It plays with the idea of her writing a letter as a twenty four year old woman to her thirteen year old self.

Tisha Jackson’s comments on ‘The Misedcation’

Quote:
“This [The Miseducation] is in fact the most personal track I’ve written thus far in my career. It was so personal I did not invite my band to play live instrments, I played the piano and guitar myself. I wanted to zone out, so I could get the song to be as honest and raw as possible. I didn’t want them there, the song is that personal. The song originally started out as a letter I wrote to myself while on my tour bus, and suddenly turned into a song when I came up with the hook and began to play the guitar. I feel that it is important for me to reveal my abuse not really for other people but for myself, I don’t want to hold onto this for the rest of my life. And that’s why I let it go with ‘The Miseducation’. Now if I inspire others to do the same, the reward will be greater, I’ll say that. However, the song is not mainly gathered toward sexual abuse victims, but people who are tired, and who want a change, let go of the negativity, go out and find your place in the universe, find your happiness.”

'The Miseducation'

sounds alike:

[Chorus/Introduction]

You had a lotta players toy with your heart
Never choose a good one, couldn’t never figure out how to love
How to love, (mmmmm)
Couple of times you swore you had a couple of forevers
Couple of forevers turned into seconds, seconds turned into moments
How to love
How to love, (mmmmm)

[Verse 1]

First quarter of the year you were there, second quarter here
Reading your body language, can tell you never had a love
(Never had a love)
Coming up you were christened a darling
In your second decade, you’re so resplendent, it’s so impressive baby
Never was able to look a man dead in the eye for five seconds
Insecure, scared he would see your flaws
Subjected on your thirteenth year
So when you grew into a woman, you thought every man was out to physically and mentally hurt ya
Now you sitting here, on this damn tour bus
Strumming your guitar, trying to pick up the pieces and put it all together

[Chorus]

How to love, (mmmmm)
How to love
How to love, (mmmmm)

[Verse 2]

Got getter since year sixteen
The fact that you living the dreams you envisioned
Saw every part of the world by twenty, exhaustively changed all your views and opinions
But you didn’t plan for that, living fast like twelve year old Drew Berry
Always wanted a man to hear out, you can lead a horse to water but can’t make her drink it
But I admire your twerking and fast living
Just as much as you admire the prick who sacked and kept your innocence when you were thirteen
Baby, don’t stay mad, cause them playas ain’t trippin
Them playas still toying, and in hell they’ll be flaming
How to love, (mmmmm)
How to love
How to love, (mmmmm)

[Bridge/ Verse 3]

I want you to see what I already know
You deserve everything that is the best
You’re beautiful
(You’re beautiful )
And I just want you to know
You were a star since you born, even before the world knew who you were

[Chorus/Outro]

How to love, (mmmmm)
How to love
How to love, (mmmmm)

Edited by user 23 April 2014 10:51:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
erich hess on 23/04/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 23/04/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 23/04/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/04/2014(UTC), kandii on 13/05/2014(UTC)