logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2014 09:07:05(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Michelle
Title: Collecting Dust
Genre: Indie-Pop
Length: 4:05
Written By: M.Hamilton
Produced By: Aviation
Label: Kaleidoscope Records
From The Album: Songs From The Scrapbook

Information

"Collecting Dust" is an Indie-Pop song written and performed by British singer-songwriter, Michelle Hamilton. The track has been chosen as the lead single for Michelle's forthcoming fourth studio album, "Songs From The Scrapbook" which is due for release in late summer. The song was written and recorded in December 2013 when Michelle was an independent artist, having been left without a label since Chaos Records closed down and due to refusing to sign a deal until her fourth album was completed. Production of the track comes from Swedish producer Lucas Carlson or as he's professionally knows as, "Aviation". He was called in to work on the song as he is a friend of Michelle's husband, Riley Hamilton. The song was recorded at Michelle's home two days before her wedding. "Collecting Dust" The song is written in C major and uses the three main chords of the key C, F and G as the riff which is used as a simple eight bar ostinato. It follows the A-B-A-B-A-B-C-B pattern.

The lyrics of the song tell the story of a young couple who are slowly falling out of love with one another and after spending months trying to salvage what they have, the female in the relationship is finally beginning to see that there is nothing left worth saving. The opening lines of the song suggest that the couple were head over heels for each other in the early days and even the little everyday things that happened in a relationship was enough to put a smile on their faces. However, after a while, things have become a little stale as the boyfriend stops trying once he finally has his feet under the table. Since he has now "bagged the girl", he doesn't feel the need to "wow" her anymore or try to impress her as she is already his and doesn't expect her to go anywhere. The girlfriend is willing to overlook things for a while but things really begin to take their toll on her and she begins to care even less and less as the days go by. Realising that she is the only one fighting for this and that, as sad as it is, the relationship cannot be saved she eventually contemplates leaving but it is unsure whether or not she decided to stay or go.

"First of all, I just want to say that I am so thrilled to be back and to be launching this new album era. I have never been this excited about my own material before and I couldn't think of a better song to help kick start everything off. I love all of the songs on the new album, there is a reason why all of those songs made the final cut but I do have to say that "Collecting Dust" is one of my top tracks. I think it is the perfect choice for a lead single because it really represents the album as a whole. It has that sort of straightforward storytelling theme running through it which is incorporated heavily throughout "Songs From The Scrapbook". It is also rather fun to listen to and easy on the ears. There are a bunch of radio friendly tracks on the new record just like "Collecting Dust" and I think that people assumed that the album would be something completely different after hearing "Aggro" and "Your Hand Is Your Friend" but this song is definitely more representative of the album. When I was writing it, I was just two days away from becoming a wife and walking down the aisle and I was just thinking about the people that had said things to me like "oh you shouldn't be getting married, you're too young. It won't last..." all that sort of stuff. I got inspiration from a lot of my relatives and friends over-dramatic wedding horror stories. I created two people in my head and put them through some of the stuff that I had been warned about when people were giving me advice on marriage. I'm just glad that life didn't imitate art because thankfully, Riley and I are still going strong! We're not collecting dust just yet (laughs). Not only am I saying in the song that communication is key, that's just common sense really, but I'm also trying to say that you should treat your girl or guy right. Don't just put a ring on their finger like you're doing them a favour and then stop trying. You've got to keep that fire burning even if it's by doing subtle little things. Demonstrate your love."

"Collecting Dust"

I used to live for all the simple little things;
Cups of tea, breakfast in bed, living in each other's company
You never failed to make me smile with your wise-cracking one-liners and remarks about the freaks on reality TV
But now a lot of cracks have started showing, the spark has died, it's getting a little boring
Tutting and sighing, you clearly don't care, all these awkward silences fill up the air
"How was your day?" all I get is a shrug, lean in for a kiss but your lips wrap the rim of your mug
Guess I'll leave you to fester away on the sofa with a hand down your pants, there's no room to even cuddle up

We're collecting dust and I really wish that your eyes would stay opened
You'd rather fall asleep with a few cans than see all the warning signs
I've tried and tried, God knows how many times
I'm puffed out, I seem to be the only one in this fight
Don't want to throw the towel in yet but I know that this is our last chance

I'm so glad that you finally stumbled home but the food's gone cold and I'm half asleep
You're looking so classy at this moment in time with your gravy encrusted t-shirt and your slurred speech
What happened to our long conversations at the dinner table? Now it's nothing but a few grunts and groans
Still it's more than you can muster when we're up in the bedroom, yeah mate that's hardly eventful
The patterns on the ceiling are the only thing that's catching my attention

There's a mountain of old clothes on the bedroom floor, a dirty pic of a model stuck to the door,
Stains on the sheet, torn up socks on your feet, we're really living large now
Now I don't mind all the mess and I don't mind all of your little flaws,
I know that I'm not perfect but we shouldn't be living like this

Wake up to your cold shoulder in the morning, experience your hot head every night
And I'm so close to packing my bags and moving on
At least you'll get a whole bed to yourself when I'm gone

Can Be Compared To;

Edited by user 14 October 2014 04:40:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Clampdown on 22/06/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 22/06/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 22/06/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 22/06/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 22/06/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 23/06/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/06/2014(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2014 10:56:56(UTC)
freestylechamp

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: Michelle has been really been hitting the male masturbation button a lot lately, Your Hand is your Best Friend, and then in this song where she leaves him to fester on the sofa with a hand down his pants? Really did she walk in on a guy rubbing one out at some point?

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/06/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2014 21:20:52(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Ooc: still loving the new age of Michelle. She's developed so well and it's great to see someone change and evolve like you've made her do so wonderfully :) Great lyrics as well, really love them :)

Kai: Sounds like she needs a good hard shagging. The lass in the song I mean, not the one on the cover. Although she is fit as all fuck.

Katie: Indie pop indie pop! I love it! So different to anything else out there and so full of sass! You're right at the top of my list now Michelle, I love this seriously. And you tell him, don't let anyone get lazy on you ;)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/06/2014(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2014 23:18:57(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Really strong lyrics and overall RP. Love how you've matured Michelle through these latest releases and I've liked all three so far. Keep this up! :) Very controversial but Michelle just has a cute smile and gets away with it. Shame! lol
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 25/06/2014(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2014 23:26:23(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17932 time(s) in 10423 post(s)
Erich: Michelle is wise beyond her years. People have to keep on dancing to tom Jones. If they don't...well,don't blame Tom for your short comings.

Karoliena: short comings are disappointing. *She grins dirtily*

Erich:oh my! So that's why the ceiling was wet when k visited you and cassie!

Karoliena: we are good at what we do.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2014 01:06:01(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3961 time(s) in 1352 post(s)
Amy-Jayne: oh girl I have so much love for this song you did your thing girl :D

OOC - great job on this rp, I really like the artwork for some reason :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#7 Posted : 30 June 2014 04:59:14(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: Gotta say Michelle, you never let me down. This is such a wonderful song and it's filled with nothing but inspiration. :)

Ooc: I love that artwork. Great job!
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 30/06/2014(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2014 08:58:16(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Linda Fea: I'm sure this record will not be collection dust anytime soon, what an amazing voice, classic record here and those lyrics are superb! Looking forward to reviewing "Songs From The Scrapbook" when it comes out late summer!

OOC: Great job on this! :)
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 05/07/2014(UTC)