logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2014 02:04:29(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

After releasing the #1 hit "Make It Right" and the critically acclaimed "Homesick", which features Ryan Williams, Nadia Berry is back with a brand new single and a new record deal. "Stone Cold World", a song which Berry's fans have been raving about ever since its premiere, will be Diamond in the Rough's third official single and shows a new side to Berry and the album. It's likely the most powerful song she's ever released and holds a lot of meaning to the singer, and while it may not be the most commercial song on the album, it holds a strong statement that this is the artist Nadia is now, you either support that or you don't. "I feel like this is the real start of the Diamond in the Rough campaign and I can't wait to continue releasing music from an album that means so much to me. While my fans are very much aware of this new sound I've gone for on the record, the general public are still yet to hear the more experimental stuff from the album on the radio," Nadia comments. "My fingers are crossed people are willing to support 'Stone Cold World' because it's my favourite single thus far and it'd be a shame for it to be ignored just because this isn't what they're used to hearing from me. It's a song that really sums up the past year in my life and it's great to be able to write a song about that and make light on what's been a rough time for me."

The single announcement comes in perfect timing with her new three-album record deal that she's signed with FREEDOM. Berry has previously been signed to Chaos Records and North Hill Records, before setting up her own Diamond Records to release her latest album. "It was amazing to have the opportunity to release an album all on my own, I was able to do things how I wanted and no label head was there to tell me otherwise, it was a really exciting experience. But now that I've done that, my interests are elsewhere, I don't want to forget who I am, which is a musician. With running your own label comes a lot of tedious and boring tasks and I'd rather focus on one thing, the music. FREEDOM are giving me the chance to do that while letting me have my say in what goes on in my career, everyone's been so supportive so far and I thank them for making me feel right at home. I look forward to our future together."

"Stone Cold World" marks Berry's first release with FREEDOM and will be sent to radio and digital retailers next month.

UserPostedImage

"Stone Cold World" is an explosive and emotionally heavy offering from Berry, as she makes much impact with her third single to be taken from Diamond in the Rough. While Nadia is well known for experimenting with various different genres when it comes to her solo career, she's never taken a risk quite like this one, and it'll be interesting to see whether it pays off or not. The track is unapologetically loud and has an assertive, angry sound to it, as the track kicks off with a sudden, explosive guitar intro which instantly sets the tone for the track, showing that Nadia's certainly not playing the nice pop girl this time round, she's making a statement and means business. It's no secret Nadia has a smooth, soft voice that works perfect for pop songs, but once her vocals soon come into the song over the top of the razor-sharp guitar licks and energetic drums, you realise how versatile the singer really is, it works surprisingly well and a lot better than the average listener would think.

"Cause the seasons are changing / And the story of my life is rearranging" she sings with a little more power in the chorus, backed by louder guitars. When a singer tackles a personal album, it can sometimes come across as contrived, but Nadia's lived her life in the public eye for many years now and we're all well aware 2013 was a tough year full of changes for her, and it's evident with the way she presents the lyrics to us, making her words all the more believable. Not only does the singer open up about losing a loved one in the first verse, she goes onto sing about betrayal and all the things she's experienced that have made her realise it really is a stone cold world later in the song. Her voice is notably soft and sweet to the ears, before her voice turns a little more aggressive near the end of the second verse, "When you get hurt, I hope it hurts harder than ever before," she almost shouts over the dominant guitars in the track. It sounds bratty on paper, but it works completely and does what we expect she wanted it to do, give the song a little attitude. We don't know who's got on Nadia's bad side, but we'd hate to be in their shoes...

The song takes a vulnerable turn for the middle-eight, where everything drops out but a quiet, distorted drum loop in the background, which Nadia sings over gently. It's a striking moment in the song that stands out purely for its more mellow nature after around two minutes of full-on, powerful music. However, it doesn't take away from the song at all and only makes it all the more effective, letting the lyrics do the talking for a moment. "Now I'm going at it alone, out in the cold / I'll suck it all up and with my head held high / I'll carry on and just walk on by," Nadia sings in true fighting fashion. Nadia has proved time and time again that while she's been through a lot, she's managed to carry on and walk past her demons, making it almost a fitting theme tune to her own life. Although, things don't die down for too long in the song, where the chorus swoops back in more noisier than ever, slightly drowning out Nadia's vocals this time, before the song comes to an abrupt end.

UserPostedImage

I make friends with people with places to go
A subtle hello and it's time to hit the road
There's no stopping the journey you're on
Couldn't pull you over, cause I know it'd be wrong
To stop you from going to better places, seeing angel faces
You're better off with your foot on the pedal
Ride down that open road, out of time like a Rolling Stone
You said you'd be just a little too far to call me on the phone
But just know that you're never alone

Cause the seasons are changing
And the story of my life is rearranging
Everyone around me's leaving
And I've left that winding road behind
Everyone's packing up their things and retreating
And I've got a new life to find
You said it's a stone cold world, ain't it girl
It's a stone cold world, don't cha know
That it's a stone cold world for a lonely soul

Holding hands with the face of betrayal
When you turn your back, it's more than painful
Kissing the lips of a devil, friends now distant strangers
And I ran from everything that I called home
Just to search for a place to go
No more heartbreak, only so much that I could take
Deceiving eyes, dirty lies, aiming with your Cupid's arrow
No matter how hard you try, you'll always be living in my shadow
When you get hurt, I hope it hurts harder than ever before
When I walked out, I didn't expect you to open that same door

All the people I had to say goodbye to
All the people that broke my heart in two
Every time these tears fall and I start to cry
Made me realise, maybe I should dry my eyes
Cause heartbreak's in fashion this season
You can sleep easy, cause you're the reason
Closed my mouth to silence a story to be told
Now I'm going at it alone, out in the cold
I'll suck it all up and with my head held high
I'll carry on and just walk on by

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 8 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 20/03/2014(UTC), erich hess on 20/03/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/03/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 20/03/2014(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 20/03/2014(UTC), Walton on 20/03/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/03/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 22/03/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2014 07:03:45(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: Congrats on your signing and wonderful job on your single :) I can tell it's honest and comes from a deep place, truly my favorite kind of records.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 20/03/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2014 00:15:28(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Jennifer: Congrats on your signing and wonderful job on your single :) I can tell it's honest and comes from a deep place, truly my favorite kind of records.

Nadia: Thanks, sweetie! It does indeed, I'm pleased you heard that in the song. Glad you like it. :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2014 01:31:14(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Groups: Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Melva: im so glad you are signed with FREEDOM girly, it means we can hang out more girl :D

OOC - nice job on this rp ots very detailed and the lyrics are amazing too
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 22/03/2014(UTC)