logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Famouss7x7  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2014 09:03:51(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Release Date: 4/5/14
Genre: Pop, 2 Step, Soul
Songwriters: Dennis Shaw, Jerry Holmes
Producers: Shahid Kan, Komi Mojam
Label: Studio60

It's been quite a while since we heard anything musically from boyband "The Stat Nerds" and the band does have more of a history then one might think. The band which is occupied by confident and personality infused members [from left to right] Brian Bodkin, Dennis Shaw, Jerry Holmes and Christopher Hudson. The band rose to stardom in 2012 after re-emerging following a falling out with a manager who first signed the boys to contract in 2011 where they released their debut single "Going On". Soon after due to the lavish spending of the label's owner the label folded after funds ran out. So bad the point where the boy's debut album "Want To Be" was released for free online as costs for distribution was too much. After that, the band left for months as they fought in a contractual battle for the right to The Stat Nerd name after the label's closing. The boys eventually settled out in court victorious and was let out of their contract and was quickly signed by label owner Gia Rose Hilton at Studio 60 Records two a two album deal. The boys wasted no time in ruffling the feathers, or making loved ones as they each got a revamped look and sound moving into what many would call their real big break. Their single "Ready For The Weekend" topped the digital charts, in December of 2012, followed by a Christmas single #1 in "Drummer Boy" and Want Ur Love which featured Sophia, also topped the Digital Charts proving the Stat Nerds to be a force to be reckon with. Following Want Ur Love, which was released in early 2013 the boys took some time off but never loss their intent to fully capitalize off of their early success and are coming back like they never left in 2014. In April of 2014, the boys begin promoting a new single on twitter with a hashtag reading #ThisLife which soon was trending worldwide as many of their fans have been wanting a new single an album for quite a while. The real question that everyone had was when exactly was it going to be released, and what would it sound like. Their overall catalog has been looked at as being impressive, so what is next for the boys who seem to speak a big game? Luckily for us here, the new single is right on here.

This Life is the newest single from band, The Stat Nerds, and will be released on May 5th, 2014 with distribution from record label Studio60 Records. The record was written by Dennis Shaw and Jerry Holmes respectively with production from United Kingdom producers Shahid Kan and Komi Mojim and was recorded in January of 2014 and will serve as the bands leading single for their soon to be titled sophomore album that will be released in 2014 under Studio 60 Records. Although 'Ready For The Weekend' and 'Want Ur Love' were big successes and will most likely end up somewhere on the albums track listing, they felt that it would be best to start off fresh and new but not throw away great pop tracks that got them known in the first place, knowing it would probably upset fans. The new record also shows the boys with a mature sound as opposed to the glitzy bubble gum nature of previous song Want Ur Love. The boys wanted to expand their horizon and show their strengths as a always maturing musically, as opposed to staying stuck in one type of sound as they grow up and more importantly, as their fans grow up.

Everyone goes through hard ships, pain, suffrage and heart ache. Ever felt so low but at the end of the day remembered that you should see the beauty of life as a whole? Realizing that you should stop having so much regrets and live life day by day because when there's dark, there soon be light and after the storm comes the sun? If you didn't, the Stat Nerds gives us listeners a first class scenario on "This Life".

From the very start of the record it proclaims the listener with swift keyboards for the first few records of the song and a flow, intelligent backing beat. Seconds later the keyboards silence and beat continues to sway, when Brian is first heard. Although saying the same lines of "La La La" repetitively, his high soprano vocals do the opening sounds and lines justice and although not the very strongest vocalist in the group he has always set himself apart due to his soprano voice range and has made it easier for him to enter higher registers on songs and very easily noticeable when he sings, this can sometimes be a weakness for Brian too. Since his voice is of a high register, he lacks the prowess vocal and he knows his abilities well. Right after Brian finishes singing, a quick and rattling soulful infused 2step/breakbeat bounces onto the record where Chris begins singing. Chris's vocals have always been a positive aspect of the Stat Nerd group. He sounds intelligent when he sings, as his experience and confidence roars whenever he begins singing. Many look at Chris as the strongest vocalist but a lot of people argue those claims. His alto voice range essentially fits any type of song along with his initial ability to make his voice usable on any record makes him a very useful member. Chris sings the first verse of the song over the quick beats that he doesn't get drowned in as he explains seeing the beauty of life after harsh times.

Following his part Jerry takes over the hook of the record, that adds in a soothing soul beat. Jerry has a very soulful voice, and is deepest vocalist in TSN, but doesn't have an extremely deep voice at the same time. He does a wonderful job harmonizing his voice and has always been the best harmonizer in the Stat Nerds and does so very well on this record. His ability to have his voice sway long the beat on This Life is almost ace as a coos: And our all dreams start feel so true, Dreams to be forever young| Dreams to be forever young. Jerry explains that life has ups and downs and uses a roller coaster as a perfect metaphor and adds in a persons dream to be forever young, which is always something that a person wants to be. As he finishes singing the beats hold back for about a split second and bursts into a roaring chorus where the boys come together as they belt out the chorus of the record which can easily get stuck in a listeners head. Although altogether, Dennis and Brian truly take over the chorus due to their higher vocals, with Jerry and Chris doing a perfect job of matching along with them with there deeper vocals as they murmur of the break beat driven, synth filled chorus which adds in keyboards too: Live this life with me, lets move like the waves of the glistening sea| And if we really try, we'll touch the endless sky ; Storms might block our way, but I know we'll find our way through.| This life, this light ! It's all worth the fight |Its a good life, no lie! So let's live this life till we die; They uplift their listener as they encourage them that life can be good, as they move through hardships with metaphors of the glistening sea and touching the 'endless sky' and to keep pushing forward as hardships may block a person but they have the ability to fight their way through because at the end of the day its a good life! The intelligent nature of the song makes it a universal record that is relate able to the ears of all ages. As the chorus ends, Brian's La La La's are heard bringing the chorus to it's second verse, where Dennis begins singing.

Dennis sings the second verse of the song and he can easily be looked at as the best vocalist in The Stat Nerds. Although the least experienced in the group in music and is a natural alto, he has a naturally compelling voice with the ability to easily drift into a high pitched soprano range making his voice very versatile and easily recognizable. Many argue that due to his inexperience in music, Chris is the best vocalist, but when hearing them sing Dennis shows a better range and ability. Whether or not you agree or disagree Dennis also does his job well on This Life. He explains letting go of hurt and having a good time as he begins to finally see the beauty of life, singing: Take my hand and dance with me|Drink to the point of ecstasy| Pain and suffrage, no longer apart of me As I look past all the regret|I see it all, I see the beauty of this life in retrospect following Dennis's part, Jerry sings the hook adding in a high note at the and and then the chorus comes upon us once more. After the chorus, Brian finally gets his own part aside from his simple repetitive word, which although in the background he sings in the for front as he talks about life and how the hurt and pain is inescapable so ride it all the way through. After Brian sings, the chorus comes back and rides out the song with Brian's La La La's taking the song until a full stop.

La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala

The way I'm feeling now
Like my spirit is lifted some how
The sun's gold rays dancing
Has got me glancing
Past my window, through the light
I see it all, I see the beauty of this life

Life is a roller coaster, we it ride till we die.
The sapphire ocean, mirroring the sky, sky so blue
And our all dreams start feel so true,
Dreams to be forever young

Live this life with me, lets move like the waves of the glistening sea
And if we really try, we'll touch the endless sky ;
Storms might block our way, but I know we'll find our way through.
This life, this light ! It's all worth the fight
Its a good life, no lie! So let's live this life till we die

La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala

Our lives pretty much the same,
No expectations, but we dance in the rain to escape the pain
Take my hand and dance with me
Drink to the point of ecstasy
Pain and suffrage, no longer apart of me
As I look past all the regret
I see it all, I see the beauty of this life in retrospect

Life is a roller coaster, we it ride till we die.
The sapphire ocean, mirroring the sky, sky so blue,
And all our dreams start feel so true

Throw your hands in the air and and ride it till it's done
The roller coaster of life, it's a blessing and a curse
The highs, the lows, loopholes and curbs
The ups and downs, then it reoccurs
Just throw your hands up and enjoy the ride
This life, This life, there's no where to hide

La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala
La la lalalalala

Edited by user 23 April 2014 09:11:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 4 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 23/04/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 23/04/2014(UTC), kandii on 23/04/2014(UTC), erich hess on 24/04/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2014 11:38:01(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: This is a very nice change in your style and it's a great record. Shit just got competitive too. I stand corrected, this just removed you from Weekend's shadow, at least until the album.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 23/04/2014(UTC), kandii on 23/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2014 14:38:26(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Honor: This is a very nice change in your style and it's a great record. Shit just got competitive too. I stand corrected, this just removed you from Weekend's shadow, at least until the album.

Jerry: I told youuuuuu, The Stat Nerds play no games when there's things at stake. We know what we need to do and one of then is continue to grow musically and separate ourselces. Won't lie, when you was coming at me on Twitter that made us make sure we did our thing in that studio so knowing you like it is good, sweetheart ;) ..ohhh the album is sounding gooooood its gonna be litttt
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline snap_itshannah  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2014 00:11:21(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
Evangeline: Yay! I love love love this song, guys! Especially the chorus and Dennis' bit. I am all about letting go of hurt and trying to find the bright side of life. There's so many sad songs on the radio now, it'll be so nice to hear this one instead.
Offline erich hess  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2014 02:04:02(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Mariko: oh shit,o town's back.

Erica: well,I am no boyband connaisseur...i think these boys are doing something solid here.

Nina: don't let her fool you,love. She has bloody pie charts and shit comparing boybands. Its like mission control for the 5 boys singing love songs genre.

Erica: your mom has pie charts!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 24/04/2014(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2014 02:39:53(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne: I love this song boys very different from your previous stuff nice job :)

OOC - love this but that sounds like I hate but anyway as I s saying great job both of you on this :)
UserPostedImage
Offline Famouss7x7  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2014 08:55:57(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: snap_itshannah Go to Quoted Post
Evangeline: Yay! I love love love this song, guys! Especially the chorus and Dennis' bit. I am all about letting go of hurt and trying to find the bright side of life. There's so many sad songs on the radio now, it'll be so nice to hear this one instead.

Dennis: Thanks alot Evangeline, very nice of you to say ;)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Famouss7x7  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2014 08:57:29(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Mariko: oh shit,o town's back.

Erica: well,I am no boyband connaisseur...i think these boys are doing something solid here.

Nina: don't let her fool you,love. She has bloody pie charts and shit comparing boybands. Its like mission control for the 5 boys singing love songs genre.

Erica: your mom has pie charts!

Jerry: @Mariko Oh shit William Hung's twin sister is in toooown!

Dennis: Yeaaaah solid music is what we give ms Erica ;)))
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/04/2014(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2014 09:06:48(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne: I love this song boys very different from your previous stuff nice job :)

OOC - love this but that sounds like I hate but anyway as I s saying great job both of you on this :)

Dennis: Thank you :)

OOC: Your opinion :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage