logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2009 08:47:07(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Broken Down on Memory Lane

UserPostedImage

Studio album by PANIC!
Released: November 3, 2009
(see release history)
Recorded: Lightning Sound Studios
Hidden Hills, California
February - June 2009
Genre: Alternative rock, pop punk
Length: 40:16
Label: Midnight/Mythic Records
Producer: Ryan Ross Hernandez

Professional reviews

Allmusic: 3.5/5 stars
Alternative Press: 4.5/5 stars
Big Cheese: 5/5 stars
Drowned in Sound: 8/10
Kerrang!: 4/5 stars
NME: 7/10
Rock Sound: 9/10
Rolling Stone: 3/5 stars
Slant Magazine: 3/5 stars
Smash Review: 88/100
Spice Magazine: 4.5/5
Spin: 4/5 stars

Singles from Broken Down on Memory Lane

1. "Disloyal Order of the Ignorant"
Released: September 8, 2009

2. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love"
Released: November 17, 2009

Broken Down on Memory Lane is the fourth studio album by American rock band PANIC!, to be released through Midnight/Mythic Records on November 3, 2009, worldwide. The album was produced by Ryan Ross Hernandez and recorded in Hidden Hills, California from February to June, 2009.

Background, writing and production

After the release of Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner and a nonstop year, a blog post which stated they were having "internal issues" in early 2008, coupled with a week of canceled shows, speculation arose that the band was going to breakup. Not long after, it was resolved and claimed to be an issue of the members never having time to talk about things such as how they "were all growing up, and sometimes, when you're growing up, you're not always growing together". Further struggles to write new material had vocalist Ashley Perry speaking of the doubts she had surrounding the writing of the record and meeting the expectations placed on the band after the success of Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner. She was also concerned about lyrics that involved current issues, as opposed to resolved issues that she had written about in the past. "I was like, 'This isn't a feel-good song, because I'm writing about something I'm going through right now, and it's still painful,'" she continued. "And I confused that with actually not liking the songs, when actually I was prouder of them than I've ever been before. They're heavier emotions for me... I'm still going through some of this stuff, and these songs are really healing to me." The band as a whole treated the writing as a therapeutic experience, which helped them hash out old differences. Now that "all those words were out on the table", they were able to have their first real conversations in a longtime, resolving the internal struggles they had been facing, by going back to the reasons why they started the band and had wanted to play music in the first place. Consequently, PANIC! decided to name the record Broken Down on Memory Lane. "Just trying to let go of whatever we might have struggled with the past and just see each other in a new way," explained Perry.

PANIC! spent six weeks in pre-production at Emac Studios in their hometown of Nashville, the first time they had undergone pre-production without the guidance of a producer. A visit from record producer Rob Carling, who produced their previous record, reassured the band that they were on the right track with the album and that their new material had the potential to surpass the success of their previous work. Although it was originally planned to record the album close to home in Nashville, the band commenced recording in Calabasas, California in early February 2009, with Hernandez' self-producing the album. They then added to the original material written at home with additional tunes written with the unlimited time-span they had to work on the album, which was a first for the band. PANIC! finished production by June 2009, in time for a tour in support of Casting Thin Shadows.

Release and promotion

The first single from the album was "Disloyal Order of the Ignorant", which was made available via digital download on September 8, on the same date the album became available for pre-order on PANIC!'s official website. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" has been confirmed by Spice Magazine to be the second single from the album, with "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life" to follow as the third single. "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life" also references the album's cover, in the lyrics.

Two versions of the album will be available; a standard CD edition as well as a deluxe package which has sold out in the United States. The deluxe will include the album on CD, a 60-page hardcover journal, Ashley Perry's handwritten lyrics and notes on the album, a color vinyl 7" single with two acoustic songs and a DVD featuring an exclusive 'making-of' documentary.

Reception

Critical response to Broken Down on Memory Lane was mostly positive. According to Metacritic, the album holds a score of 79 out of 100, indicating "generally favorable reviews", based on 14 reviews through October 16, 2009.

Tour

PANIC! have announced on their official site that they are going on tour, this fall/winter with opening acts to be announced. The domestic tour will begin in Los Angeles, California on November 3, 2009 (the day of the album's release). The band also announced that they would be doing a European tour starting off in Helsinki, Finland in October with opening acts to be announced.

Track listing

All songs written and composed by Ashley Perry and Ryan Ross Hernandez, except where noted.

1. "Too Careful" (Perry, Hernandez) 3:50
2. "Disloyal Order of the Ignorant" (Perry, Hernandez) 3:38
3. "Who Framed God?" (Perry, Hernandez, Gabriel Hunter) 3:02
4. "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life" (Perry, Hernandez) 4:13
5. "Turn It Off" (When Praying Doesn't Always Help) (Perry, Hernandez) 4:19
6. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" (Perry, Hernandez) 4:27
7. "A Feeling We Don't Appeal to" (Perry, Hernandez, Hunter) 3:05
8. "Things Are Looking Up" (Perry, Hernandez) 3:29
9. "Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map" (Perry, Hernandez) 3:18
10. "Misguided Hearts" (Perry, Hernandez, Hunter) 3:01
11. "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)" (Perry, Hunter) 3:48

Deluxe box edition

The deluxe edition is limited to 15,000 copies and includes the full album with two bonus tracks, a 60-page hard-cover journal with Ashley Perry's handwritten lyrics and notes on the album, a yellow colored vinyl 7" single with two songs ("Disloyal Order of the Ignorant" acoustic and "Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map" acoustic), a DVD featuring an exclusive making-of documentary (with interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, plus rare band vignettes), a 36-page full-color booklet, an exclusive PANIC! poster, five limited edition collectible PANIC! photos printed on hardstock paper, and a numbered certificate of authenticity. It sold out in the United States.

Personnel

PANIC!

* Ashley Perry – lead vocals
* Ryan Ross Hernandez – guitar, lead vocals, producer
* Gabriel Hunter - guitar
* Joey Fallon – drums, percussion
* Nick Asher – bass guitar
* Josh Fallon – guitar

Additional personnel

* Rob Carling - engineering
* Chris Brady-Evans - mixing at Mix LA
* Jamie Manning - keyboards, organ
* Taylor Jennings - mastering at Sterling Sound

Release history

Italy: October 26, 2009
Greece: October 26, 2009
Brazil: October 29, 2009
Australia: October 30, 2009
Germany: October 30, 2009
Ireland: October 30, 2009
New Zealand: November 2, 2009
Denmark: November 2, 2009
United Kingdom: November 2, 2009
France: November 2, 2009
Portugal: November 2, 2009
United States: November 3, 2009
Canada: November 3, 2009
Japan: November 4, 2009
Finland: November 4, 2009

Chart Performance

Coming Soon...

Edited by user 03 November 2009 11:12:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2009 14:08:27(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Track by Track (Song Meanings):
(from; Ashley Perry's point of view)

Too Careful

Frontwoman Ashley Perry discussed this song about carving out a life for yourself: "We're in a situation where we're still young and it's hard being the ones who are going out and doing something a little different to other people our age. Some friends are going to college and some are at home who are like, I don't know what I'm doing.' It's a case of where people expect things to fall into their lap. You have to take risks to find out what you want. We've taken those risks and we've lost a lot but we've also gained a great deal that we are extremely proud of."

Disloyal Order of the Ignorant

"In my eyes, this song is a huge turning point for the band. The truth of it is, growing up is not easy. We're six different people who have to work towards the same goal on a daily basis. There were a lot of times when I felt really alone or angry or insecure. I don't always feel good at confronting people, especially people that I love, like these guys. Sometimes it takes songs to get the point across. The song is from one person's perspective. It's unfair that I'm the one who gets to talk about it but it helped me a lot. I felt like I was losing people, and I think the band did too. But it's okay, we're growing up."

Who Framed God?

"About self-righteous people and me feeling the blow of that." She added: "The chorus is about people who place blame and how they should look at themselves first. It's something I've dealt with since I was young. Recently I had someone very close to me do that, and it was difficult because I love that person but I didn't want to point a finger at just that guy I wanted to do a general view of it."

A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life

"This song is about people who cover up their reality with frills and make out like they're living a fantasy life." She added: "It's one thing to have goals and dreams but it's another thing when you never know where you're standing in the real world. People can be hurt by that."

Turn It Off (When Praying Doesn't Always Help)

"Everyone knows what we believe in and our personal choice to believe in Jesus. It's a struggle in the real world to do that. Sometimes you want to give up. Some of the things we've been through - things I've been through personally - in the last few years, I've felt it would be easier to not have faith in anything and see myself as alone and work at it that way. It sounds like a good idea and I don't think it's anything anyone gets over. I also think it's a hopeful lyric, too. If you find yourself at the bottom, the only way you have is to look up. It can't get any worse if you're at the bottom. Even as a band when we've been at the top, inside we've felt at the bottom."

There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love

"The first time I've been able to write a song about that." She added: "Ryan (Hernandez - vocals/guitar) brought me the music and I thought it was so beautiful. I don't know where my head was at when I heard it, but it really hit me. Ryan and I wanted to write a two-minute interlude, just guitar and vocals. It's such a departure from our other songs. When I wrote the lyrics and sang them to the band, we decided to make it into a full song. I've never written lyrics like this before. The first verse is about where I think the fear to be open or vulnerable started. Ever since the first story in a magazine, everyone has known about my family issues and domestic whatever, it's something that's kinda stayed with me and I've learned from. I played this song to my mom and there were tears. It was kind of embarrassing."

Things Are Looking Up

"A number of songs on Broken Down were born out of internal strife during a period when PANIC! came close to breaking up. On this track we respond to the rumors that were circulating about the band's future. Its like even though we've done so much in our careers, we feel we can even do more. I mean I'm just turning 21 this December. We aren't going anywhere, anytime soon."

All I Wanted Was (Me & You)

"This stripped down closing track was written about my boyfriend Breaking Dawn at Sunset bassist Patrick Lewis. The first time, Lewis was leaving to tour for the first time since we had started our relationship and as a consequence all sorts of insecurities were bubbling to the surface. It was so difficult to show this song to Ryan, because the instant he saw it, he knew who I was talking about and this was fresh after Ryan and myself had broken up. But above anything Ryan is my friend and he just said that he wasn't going to let his own ego get in the way of good music. Nevertheless out of respect to him, I didn't want him to write the music for this song so Hunter wrote it and its really different, in a good way. Even though the lyrics aren't out of this world, I feel that its one of the most upfront songs I've ever written on my own."
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2009 22:15:58(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Really looking forward to this. Throw a copy my way if you can!

Liam
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2009 07:12:04(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Aj wrote:
Really looking forward to this. Throw a copy my way if you can!

Liam

"As long as you don't leak it we'll send you a copy. :p Hell any fellow musicians who wants a copy 2 or 3 weeks before the album is released just hit us up and we'll send it to you. If we like you, of course." :p

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.
UserPostedImage
Offline Taylr  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2009 07:46:58(UTC)
Taylr

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Taylor: You like us... Right? :P
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2009 07:59:17(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Taylr wrote:

"Sort of..... :p I'll send you a copy before we head off to Europe at the end of this week. When we see you guys in the UK for the tour, you better know all the songs by memory. Haha." :D
UserPostedImage
Offline Taylr  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2009 08:05:34(UTC)
Taylr

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 73 post(s)
PANIC! wrote:
Taylr wrote:

"Sort of..... :p I'll send you a copy before we head off to Europe at the end of this week. When we see you guys in the UK for the tour, you better know all the songs by memory. Haha." :D

Taylor: Hehe, we'll try. :P
Offline PANIC!  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2009 13:53:34(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Since there has been some confusion as to what the lineup will look like for this album, so we've decided to give more details as to who's doing what on each song.

Ashley Perry - Lead Vocals on all tracks except "Falling Stars".
Backing Vocals on all tracks.

Ryan Ross Hernandez - Lead Vocals on "Too Careful", "Who Framed God?", "Turn It Off", "Things Are Looking Up", "Falling Stars", "Misguided Hearts".
Lead Guitar on "Too Careful", "Disloyal Order of the Ignorant", "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life", "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love", "Falling Stars", "Misguided Hearts".
Rhythm Guitar on "Who Framed God?", "Turn It Off", "A Feeling We Don't Appeal to", "Bitter Tears and Broken Hearts", "Things Are Looking Up", "Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map", "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)".
Backing Vocals on all tracks.

Gabriel Hunter - Lead Guitar on "Who Framed God?", "Turn It Off", "A Feeling We Don't Appeal to", "Bitter Tears and Broken Hearts", "Things Are Looking Up", "Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map", "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)".
Rhythm Guitar on "Too Careful", "Disloyal Order of the Ignorant", "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life", "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love", "Falling Stars", "Misguided Hearts".

Josh Fallon - 3rd Guitar on all tracks except, "Who Framed God?", "Falling Stars".

Nick Asher - Bass Guitar on all tracks.

Josh Fallon - Drums on all tracks.

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2009 05:40:36(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

First Listen: Reception

Alternative Press

Broken Down on Memory Lane astonishes from start to finish.
Final Score: 90

Billboard.com

Although the new set may lack the wide-eyed naivete that made the group's past efforts so endearing, the newfound maturity makes for a compelling set of songs.
Final Score: 81

Spin

The upgrade is one of focus and intensity.
Final Score: 80

The New York Times

Together they broadened the band’s dynamics without sacrificing momentum.

Drowned In Sound

This is a realization, and an affirmation, of PANIC!'s musical craftsmanship and potential longevity.

musicOMH.com
With instantly infectious attitude and a seemingly unending supply of irresistible hooks, Broken Down on Memory Lane comes close to perfecting the emo-rock art.

Sputnikmusic

Broken Down on Memory Lane shows that they have the potential--now they've just got to live up to it and create the classic album the fans know they can make.

All Music Guide

The anthemic, celebratory songs that made 'Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner' so appealing were largely absent, but the band found a new way to rock during those sessions, prizing catharsis and nuanced arrangements above the hooks of albums past.
Final Score: 70

BBC

By sheer strength of will the band has salvaged an album that could have just been a derivative mess and created something pretty damn good in the process, and for that Broken Down on Memory Lane should be praised while we await something even greater from these boys (and girl).

Boston Globe

PANIC! is certainly a sharp enough unit that doesn’t lack for energy, and Broken Down on Memory Lane features enough interesting ideas to take notice. All it needs is to double the ones it has, and it’ll be a band that’s foolish to ignore.

New Musical Express

Sure, the four slower tracks might make for a break in the relentless pace, but who needs the rest? If you just so happen to be one of the best in the up-tempo pop-smattered emo-punk game, why bother slowing down? For this lot, more is most certainly more.

The Phoenix

This is a trick the band deploy again and again, using darkness of tone and lyrical bent as a foil for their almost overbearingly ebullient trill.
Final Score: 63

Rolling Stone

Some of the sweeping moments blunt the band's fresh-faced immediacy--as if the cute kids from the sticks have had a hard time turning pro.
Final Score: 60

Slant Magazine

Rough edges, like the curt bathos of the lyrics (which repeatedly mistake brusqueness for wit), may be improved in the future. Either way, the band's music is already as catchy that of previous efforts, without nearly as much of the Ryan Ross Hernandez' put-on faux-cleverness.
Final Score: 60

Edited by user 18 October 2009 08:10:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2009 12:40:33(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Overall Review: Broken Down on Memory Lane

The barely-out-of-teen years, crew from Nashville, Tennessee has delivered. Broken Down on Memory Lane is PANIC!'s best album so far. It has all the passion and whole-heartedness that their debut I Rather Die Than Have Another Broken Heart! possessed but combines it with the slick, tight production that was We Are the Directors of This Dramatic Love Story, and the catchy hooks and riffs of Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner, to create something beyond all previous releases. Though definitely not without imperfection, the record features songs that will please every listener, be it die-hard fan, music critic, or a skeptical hater. This time around, anyone who listens through this album cannot deny the immense talent of every band member. On Broken Down on Memory Lane, Ashley Perry's well-known powerhouse of a voice, nor Ryan Ross Hernandez' angst-fueled vocals are not the sole driving force of the record. For once, you could actually believe their stringent, repeated statement that "PANIC! is more than Ashley and Ryan."

"Too Careful" opens the album with a furious crash driven by Joey Fallon's near-rabid drum tempo that isn't careful in the least. Perry stated that Fallon had held back on previous releases for fear of overpowering her vocals. No fear. The entire band steps it up: guitarists Ryan Ross Hernandez and Gabriel Hunter, bassist Nick Asher and third guitarist Josh Fallon each get time to shine, as if the band is using this first song to re-introduce themselves to their fans (and introduce themselves to those who have been living under a rock since "Force Our Smiles, Baby, Half-Dead" or "MySpace Whore" hit the airwaves).

The band has certainly matured lyrically, though they certainly fall into cliches on occasion. "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" begins acoustically and features some of the best PANIC!'s lyrics yet. Perry sings, heartbreakingly honest. "Only Exception" is apparently the first love song from this band and Perry gives the whole story within the song (for those of you who really want to know).

"Disloyal Order of the Ignorant" is among the weaker tracks on the record (and is their yet-to-be-a-hit first single); it essentially is MySpace Whore 2.0, with a barely different guitar riff, but this time Perry directs her fury at her bandmates rather than poking fun at Hollywood's lifestyle. There's no denying that the entire band is angrier than ever before, but angrier does not equal better. The angry-at-the-price-of-quality idea plagues other tracks such as "Turn It Off" and "A Feeling We Don't Appeal to," which begin to blend into a blur of hard drumming, shrieked vocals and predictable chord progressions after a few listens. The chorus of "Turn It Off" would sound more at home on a "Let Go"-era Avril cd, with its near-emo influenced lyrics. Yes, its a Christian-faith influenced song. Shocker, not at all in someways the band have always attempted to sneak in some religious references but not in this full-length song form. But each have their redeeming qualities-- the fervent breakdown on "Things Are Looking Up" catches the attention of the listeners -- that keep even the worst songs on the record from being truly terrible.

At the wise old age of 20 (soon-to-be 21, this December), the success of PANIC! makes lead singer Ashley Perry a veritable elder stateswoman. Yet, her solo song "Bitter Tears and Broken Hearts" is a mixed bag. While she delivers her trademark punk-influenced vocals, they seem misplaced over the acoustic instrumentation and hand claps. Although it does bring older PANIC! fans to remember the band's days of Friday night mall anthems. It may be a stretch to say that PANIC! probes dark subject matter on Broken Down on Memory Lane, but they work on fattening their otherwise prototypical pre-adult catalog of lyrics.

"Who Framed God?" mixes it up, utilizing a slightly slower tempo and a vocal back-and-forth by Perry and Hernandez. PANIC! is at their best when collaborating, like the fist-pumping gang vocals at the end of "A World of Magic Can't Fix Your Tragic Life" that also features a hard bass line by Asher. Same with "Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map--" Hernandez again joins Perry on vocals, saving the song from Just Okay land. Perry and friends abandon the slick in favor of a more gritty tone that takes the song to the next level.

"Falling Stars," is an opus acoustic anthem, bringing all this exuberance full circle. On Hernandez' only solo attempt on the record, Ryan never forces anything, and his rugged vocals are tailor-made for the material at hand -- even the acoustic first half of "Stars," which never brings in the strings or the choir arrangements for emphasis. Like very rare pop/rock bands, PANIC! merely focus on organic melodies with a tightened, finely-tuned pop-rock core. He keeps the lyrics so simple, yet he sings them so painfully honest, you could almost feel his pain. Mixing a good riddance to his former lover and softly playing in a broken-hearted lover's bedroom late at night.

"Misguided Hearts" is easily the most well-crafted, mature song the band has ever produced. Exquisitely subtle acoustic guitar by Hernandez and Hunter and gloriously bare vocals by Perry and Hernandez make this simply the most beautiful PANIC! song to date. Yet, the grandiose "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)" that closes the album, gives "Misguided," and "Only Exception," a run for their money. This song can really be called epic, a song worthy of Muse or, dare I say write, U2 that is meant to be played in an arena to thousands of people. Perry raw-throated, insistent chant of "All I wanted was you," sliding from note to note will send chills down your spine at the very least. (A popcore dork will probably burst into tears.)

From their first album, I Rather Die Than Have Another Broken Heart!, to now, the progression is as obvious as growing up. The band is now a natural at buffing the pop architecture. Perry and Hernandez are dripping with more confidence than ever, and their even sneering less to soar higher. Who needs the ‘tude? Come time for a crucial hook and chorus - like on "Who Framed God?" - and the song is immediately a phoenix. But progression can be dirty work. Take ender "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)" - much more “radio” than anything on Broken Down on Memory Lane, it’s forcefully booming to be epic, although its the least-lyrical song on the album, its hard not to be taken a back by Perry's powerful vocals. She alternates between a recluse verse and an awkwardly unmatched chorus. Isn’t this where Avril Lavigne went wrong?

There's no denying it: PANIC! are here to stay (and they make sure of it on "Things Are Looking Up"). They have proven themselves with this record and shown that they deserve all that they have worked for. The record has mediocre cuts, certainly, but the incredible quality of others make me look forward to their next record, which will hopefully be entirely comprised of brilliant tracks like "Misguided Hearts", "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love". and "All I Wanted Was (Me & You)." This band has not yet released their classic album, fans and critics alike know they can make, but Broken Down on Memory Lane shows us that they are capable of it.

Simultaneously down-to-earth and on top of the world, there is something about these main characters of Ashley Perry and Ryan Ross Hernandez that makes an album like Broken Down on Memory Lane more than another notch on that slutty pop-rock bedpost. Just imagine what will happen when the band hits their mid-twenties. Heck, their drummer hasn't even hit the twenties.
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2009 00:48:33(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Stephanie Fierce: As much as I hate to say it, because Ryan's face in the picture is staring right at me right now, I really love the time you guys took to make this album and from what it looks like it is going to be great, BTW congrats on your reviews. I love how you guys do focus on promoting your stuff but you don't whore yourselves while doing it, (like I do Whistle ). Ashley Perry is my favorite because she is very sweet yet she can be rough. I guess is because she is surrounded by guys all day. As much as I would love that, I know at some point you must get tired. Yet girls can be more bitchy. Guys are more mellow. Anyway, I want to purchase this album when it comes out and Roberto is also getting a copy he loves your music. He just dislikes Ryan like me, I wonder why? (Whistle ).
But yes, from what it seems "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" looks like it is going to be my favorite track. I might not love your music, but I do appreciate hard work.

OOC: Why aren't people commenting on great threads such as this one?
Offline PANIC!  
#12 Posted : 18 October 2009 04:52:35(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Stephanie Fierce: As much as I hate to say it, because Ryan's face in the picture is staring right at me right now, I really love the time you guys took to make this album and from what it looks like it is going to be great, BTW congrats on your reviews. I love how you guys do focus on promoting your stuff but you don't whore yourselves while doing it, (like I do Whistle ). Ashley Perry is my favorite because she is very sweet yet she can be rough. I guess is because she is surrounded by guys all day. As much as I would love that, I know at some point you must get tired. Yet girls can be more bitchy. Guys are more mellow. Anyway, I want to purchase this album when it comes out and Roberto is also getting a copy he loves your music. He just dislikes Ryan like me, I wonder why? (Whistle ).
But yes, from what it seems "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" looks like it is going to be my favorite track. I might not love your music, but I do appreciate hard work.

OOC: Why aren't people commenting on great threads such as this one?

"Well I'm use to it, I've always been the only girl on tour since I was sixteen. I've never toured with another girl on the tour bus. But, yeah sometimes its frustrating, sometimes I want to rip my hair out. Still for the most part I think the guys have it much worse than me. The guys are so close to dude freedom, I probably ruin so much fun for them. For the most part its not as bad as people would think, I mean its like having five brothers that always look after you. But I've literally grown up around these five guys so they've seen at my best and at my worse moods. Although we never whore ourselves out we still get the old "sell out" from fans that are Broken Down on Memory Lane, no pun intended. Thanks for the positive comments from both you and Roberto, hopefully we get more comments like that. We worked our butts off more than ever on this record."

--.` Ashley Perry.

"We have it much harder than her, especially me since I'm like even more moodier than girls. Its still cool having her on tour with us, I mean she always keeps us in line which is good. If it wasn't for her we would be like biggest group of idiots, which we still are when its just the six of us. Her attitude on this record, I wouldn't consider it bitchy, I would say moody much like the musical set-up of the record. When the album kicks off the music is heavy, and she's angry. The half-point of the album are mid-tempos a few angry aspects, few faith aspects, love aspects. Then to end it off its the slower, acoustically fueled songs, about just our everyday lives or again love. No hard feelings though, Ashley is my favorite too. Its hard to believe I was her first boyfriend and we dated for 3 years."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.

OOC: Thanks, I always try to put my best effort on my threads. :)

Edited by user 18 October 2009 04:53:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#13 Posted : 19 October 2009 09:36:16(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Second Single: Release Date Announced

PANIC! have, officially confirmed that the second single off of the upcoming critically-acclaimed fourth studio album Broken Down on Memory Lane will be, like it was confirmed last September by Spice Magazine, "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love". Despite online rumors that the single would be released before the albums actual release, the band has shut down that rumor. With an attempt to give it a holiday season push, due to its love-oriented theme the single will now be released on November 17, 2009 as a CD single and released to Mainstream/Top-40 radio a day before on November 16, 2009. Frontwoman Ashley Perry had this to say:

"We know that because its after the album release date, we won't be having much of a sales push. But we talked to our label and we discussed with them that we thought the song is good enough to get a good chart position just due to its radio play. We're really sorry to the fans that really wanted to hear another song before the albums release but we are thinking about maybe putting a song or two on our site, sometime before November 3rd."

She went on to confirm that it will be the last single released off the record for 2009, saying that because it will be the album they will tour off of in 2010 fans should expect four to five singles released off it. The music video for "There's Only One Exception When It Comes to Love" was was filmed on October 9, 2009 and is expected to be released sometime in November. Ryan Ross Hernandez said the following about the video:

"Its a very personal video, I think its one of those videos where the viewer could really relate to it. We recorded it in a church, in our hometown of Nashville, we got a lot of close friends to work on it. Its a really passionate video."
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#14 Posted : 26 October 2009 07:33:17(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Take a Leak: Broken Down on Memory Lane

Just a day before its initial release date in Italy and Greece. PANIC!'s latest album, Broken Down on Memory Lane has leaked online in its full and to make things worse it has leaked at album quality. Now you would think the band would be pissed about it but their not with their front people Ashley Perry and Ryan Ross Hernandez saying this:

Ashley Perry: "We're honestly not stressing about it. We know that now a days everything leaks sooner than its release date, there's not very much excitement on release date anymore because its already been heard a week or so before. But we honestly aren't going crazy about it, I mean we had a huge amount of pre-orders of the album worldwide and we're glad that our fans are able to hear this record that we are extremely proud of."

Ryan Ross Hernandez: "Cool. That's all I have to say. I hope that the fans are enjoying the record. I don't feel that any fans should feel guilt for hearing or downloading a leak, that just means to me that they are excited to hear our new material. Whether fans actually buy the record or not I'm not going to judge or of them. I know its a tough economical time and not everyone can spend fifteen bucks on a record. As long as fans keep coming out to our shows whether they buy our music or not. We're not going anywhere."

Despite the leak, no release dates for any country will be pushed up. All release dates are still at their original, previously announced date. The official release date for the United States and United Kingdom both stand at their original November 3rd and November 2nd release dates, respectively.
UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#15 Posted : 27 October 2009 12:41:39(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Track by Track (continued) (Song Meanings):
(from; Ashley Perry's point of view)

A Feeling We Don't Appeal to

Ashley Perry said the song is of self-empowerment: "At 20 years old, it's the time when you're either working hard at figuring it out or you don't care at all. I'm talking about life here. The same holds true no matter what age you are, I guess. It's frustrating whenever I see people with so much potential just throw away their dreams because they seem out of reach. Working hard is a good thing. I realize that the guys and I are extremely blessed to be where we are. It probably seems a bit like I'm talking down to anyone who isn't on tour or selling records. But it's not like that at all. It took a lot of sacrifice and years of touring and working our way from the ground up to get to this point. And even if it was all taken away from us tomorrow, every bit of it was worth it."

Writing in Stone Across a Personal Map

"Ryan and I wrote this a week before we left the studio. It's the first song we ever wrote together from start to finish. Before this album Ryan and I would each write our parts then mix them, but for this record I wrote all lyrics except for this song which we shared duties in. He had this guitar line that really reminded me of some old [1990s emo band] Get Up Kids song or something. It didn't really sound like anything else we'd written before. It's a simple song. It feels good. And that's pretty much all there is to it."

Misguided Hearts

Ashley Perry explained her theory in this song that everyone is has a misguided lifestyle. She replied: "Some people might think that I actually know what I'm doing but I'm just 20 years old and figuring myself out on a daily basis. The greatest thing about it is that I know now that I don't have to live up to someone else's expectations of me. It's freeing when you finally realize that you don't have to have all the answers."

"This is the redheaded stepchild of the record. No offense to any actual redheaded stepchildren - I was one. Gabriel [Hunter, guitarist] wrote the music for this while we were on tour in England. It was after we'd 'come back' from the break. But I think, mentally, we were all still pretty checked out. All of 2008 was pretty hard, and even though there were a lot of amazing things happening, life felt really complicated for the first time ever for me. So I wrote about that. I like it because it sort of embodies every random, confusing emotion that I've ever had about living in this crazy world."

(OOC: Looking over this thread, I realize I never finished it previously. So, here its done!)

Edited by user 27 October 2009 12:45:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PANIC!  
#16 Posted : 03 November 2009 11:11:21(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

First Week Sales + Chart Performance

UK: 34,012 sales #4
USA: 33,416 #5
Canada: 33,180 #2
Aus & NZ: 34,912 #1
South America: 35,324 #1
Asia: 33,214 #2
Europe: 33,089 #4

World: 237,147 #1

Although it had great first week sales and chart positions, making the top 5 worldwide, Ryan Ross Hernandez told reporters outside the Birdies tonight that he was "slightly disappointed" since he felt that this record was "miles beyond" their previous album Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner but both records virtually debuted with identical numbers.

PANIC! had almost no time to celebrate their victory at the IMA's since they have already boarded their flight bound for Los Angeles, where they will kick off their North American leg of their current tour in support of Broken Down on Memory Lane.
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#17 Posted : 03 November 2009 11:13:14(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Stephanie Fierce: Slightly disappointed?? Are you kidding? Those are some good ass numbers.
Offline SYATEG  
#18 Posted : 03 November 2009 11:15:43(UTC)
SYATEG

Man

Hey send us a copy! We can't wait to here it!

-Andrew
UserPostedImage
Legion of the Undead