logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2013 22:21:35(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
OOC: Song and lyrics at the bottom

New Zealand pop-punkers Miss Way don't pull any punches with debut 'Chasing California'
Kerrang! Magazine review

UserPostedImage
Paige Williams: More than just a pretty face.

Is it just me, or is the only New Zealand band that anyone else can think of also Flight of the Conchords? If I'm being perfectly honest, it didn't bode well for this Auckland five-piece that I sat down with Pepeleptic Dogs running through my mind when the time came to review this single. Not to worry though, because they soon blew away my preconceived notions of their country's music with a song that is well executed, well written, and surprisingly laced with emotions listeners might not have expected from a female fronted pop-punk band!

For anyone not familiar with Miss Way, they were the Oceanic winners of Chaos Records' Triple Threat Basement Jam contest which saw them signed to a major label contract along with European and North American champions Sonnets & Novellas and Escape Artists Never Die. Since winning the contest, they went somewhat quiet, preferring to stay away from the spotlight - unlike their counterparts - before delivering this debut single, and it was definitely something that was well worth waiting for, as Miss Way deliver a punchy and energetic debut that will not be forgotten in a hurry.

For all that Paramore and Riot! In the Boulevard have done to eradicate the notion many people have of girl-fronted rock bands, it's hard to look at someone and not imagine what they will sound like. Do this with Miss Way at your peril. If you're expecting to hear some happy go lucky high school anthem, or a whiny ode to a love lost, then prepare to be proved wrong. Chasing California is a song that latches firmly on to the angrier side of pop punk that has been more prevalent in recent times with the emergence of bands like The Story So Far and The Wonder Years. The track broaches subjects such as failure, bitterness, anger and schadenfreude/revenge, without ever sounding even slightly cliched. It narrates a tale of someone who thinks they are better than their origins, aiming high and trying to achieve fame and fortune, but ultimately failing. The sarcasm laced through the chorus as singer Paige Williams hopes that the subject is still aiming high, despite being nothing more than a failure in life, is among the best uses of wordplay seen in 2013.

The crowning glory is the sound though. You see a pretty blonde girl and some well manicured young guys front a band, and you expect Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco-esque anthems, right? Well think again. This is a song that drips sarcasm, bitterness and anger. The vocals are delivered with a punch to the gut. As talented as the vocals from Paige are, she spits them out with an air that says messing with her would be a bad mistake. And then...well then there's the guitar work. I often forget how pop-punk has morphed in the last decade. Gone are the Green Day and Blink-led days of simple chord progressions and faux-Californian accents, replaced by real riffs, well thought out progressions and genuine talent. And this is something that Miss Way has in bags.

In short, ignore this at your peril, and forget everything your mind wants to tell you. Chasing California is an anthem for the scorned, a song for the bitter and a theme for the burned. Miss Way have delivered something that most definitely proves they have what it takes to make it to the top.

RATED: 4/5

Miss Way - Chasing California

UserPostedImage

Chasing California is a modern pop-punk song that brings together the sort of happy aura of the genres origins with the bitter and more aggressive forms of the style that have become commonplace in some contemporary bands. It begins with an upbeat mid-tempo intro where one guitar plays an airy and light riff over the top of a clap-along drum beat just begging to be thumped out across a range of festivals this summer and beyond. The verse ends with two abrupt beats that herald the arrival of the main riff, a slightly heavier and faster guitar sound, accompanied by more animated and skilled drum beats. It is at this point that the song sounds a bit more aggressive, setting the stage perfectly for the first sound of the vocals from Paige Williams.

While many probably expected Paige to sound like the typical girl rocker, her voice is very much different. She has a cutting sarcastic tone that seems to just pore from her voice throughout, the bitter and aggressive way she sings immediately setting her apart and giving a strong notion of the tone of the song. In each of the verses, the vocals are the main focus, with the music almost going quiet and turning to intricate yet slow single notes rather than the bouncy riffs that were evident in the intro, allowing the venomous, bitter message within the sarcastic lyrics to stand tallest. At the end of each of the verses, which consist of two banks of four lines describing Paige and the object of her scorn respectively, there is a brief musical bridge, during which one of the guitars plays a few slow chords and Paige whispers a "message".

The choruses are far different, with the pace picking up. The music is louder, faster and a lot more pop-punk in a traditional sense than the verses. Each of the lines runs together to keep up with the fast tempo and the energy, giving an almost breathless and relentless feeling to the nature of the song and the theme behind it. Finally, when the last chorus comes to an end, there is a small bridge again, during which one guitar plays some soft chords and the other plays something akin to a solo (unheard of in pop-punk). The track ends with Paige gently singing the last few lines over this musical section, before the track fades to silence.

Paige says

"This song is something I've been sitting on for a lot of years, waiting to break it out, and I thought there was no better time than now. It's about a real life guy who broke my heart when I was 15. We were dating when he decided that he wanted to go to California to chase his dream of becoming a star and an actor - hence the chorus and the title - and then I never heard from him again. This is sort of saying about how I like to imagine that he's still out there chasing that dream in vain. It's a bit of a nasty notion, to want someone to fail, but sometimes people have bad feelings towards people who hurt them.

"I think the reason I wanted to release this early in our careers was to showcase myself as a writer. I think as women we're often portrayed as being soft and sensitive, and there are a lot of people who write about break ups in a way that does nothing to debunk this myth. I wanted to just blow it out the water, so I'm showing the bitter, angry, sarcastic side of a break up. You know, the side that laughs when an ex gets divorced or fat? Yeah, that's sort of the notion I was going for. And I'm sure we've all been there at some point. I'm sweet, really I am, although this song makes me sound like a bitch. I'm just not afraid to take my claws out if I need to haha."

"I like the notion of being pop-punk. It's something I grew up on, listening to things like Blink, Green Day and New Found Glory, but at the same time, I'm not sure it fits our style exactly. I feel like modern pop-punk needs a new name. Ourselves and like Four Year Strong and stuff, we're far more aggressive and angry than bands of 'our genre' were a few years back. So yeah, although I suppose we are pop-punk at the very roots of what we do, I hope people can appreciate that it's a genre that has evolved and become far more sophisticated than the whole "I skateboard, drink beer and fuck your mom" attitude that was all too prevalent in 2001.

Lyrics

Been dragging my feet, keeping them on the ground
Never reaching up, never going for the clouds
One sure fire way to never fail to fall short
My life feels so settled, so straight ahead.

But you, you were dazzled by the lights,
Abandon this sinking ship, taking flight
Always looking up, aiming beyond the stars,
Live now, fuck it, you said you'll sleep when you're dead

I'd like to think that you're still chasing California,
Reaching for your goals and never failing
I hope your eyes are still set on your dreams and goals
Left us behind, and we're still trailing
I'd like to think, I'd love to think,
When you left I couldn't eat, I'd never drink
But I'd like to to think
That you're still chasing California

Trying to influence my style of dress and fashion
Our friends still tell me I like fight and passion
Never gone outside my safe place, my comfort zone
Afraid to stray from the path, to think outside the box

You were never afraid, never scared to walk your own line
Always on the cusp of greatness, looking for a chance to shine
You wanted more and you set out to grab your chance
Escaped your binds, walked away and broke restrictive locks

Away from me, you walked away, escaped the clutches!

When you left I couldn't eat, and I'd never drink
But I'd like to to think

When did you go, do you still remember who I am, or did I flop
Are you a star, now I've set my goals, I'm also reaching for the top
Did you ever think that you would see me shine
Will you notice when we bump shoulders on the walk of fame

Where are you, I never saw your name in the morning news
Never saw you on the TV, where's your movie, are you singing blues?
Take some time to learn that everything won't be alright
I'm in the middle of my ride, but you've reached the end of the game

And it's.....over

When you left I couldn't eat, and I'd never drink
But I'd like to to think

Cos now I sleep, now I eat, now I drink
Without you.....

Sounds Like - (But with a less gruff female singer)
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 03/07/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 03/07/2013(UTC), kandii on 04/07/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 04/07/2013(UTC), theonlysorrow on 08/07/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 29/07/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2013 22:34:16(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Erich: aw,Paige is adorable. Ada and I should adopt her.

Erica:" skateboarding,drinking beer,and fucking your mom"?! That sounds great...:or like a tenfootpole song. I hate tenfootpole.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
genocidal king on 03/07/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2013 23:25:47(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: aw,Paige is adorable. Ada and I should adopt her.

Erica:" skateboarding,drinking beer,and fucking your mom"?! That sounds great...:or like a tenfootpole song. I hate tenfootpole.

Paige: Adopt me? Well that depends.....what would be my bed time and allowance? It's important to hammer out the deets early ;)

I agree, Erica...top fun...apart from maybe the mother copulation, but I heard so many songs about those things from 2001 that it made my head spin. And not in a good way.

UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2013 23:40:45(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Erich: 11 pm on school nights and 2 am on weekends....unless your grades start slipping. Allowance? I'll have to talk to your prospective mother about that. I think she is roughly your age,she knows what young girls want.

Karoliena: this has "woody Allen" written all over it.

Erich: everything isn't so dark,karoliena sometimes things are as innocent as they look.

Erica: depends on the mother. I agree that early 2000's were a land of sausagy crap. A planet where Fred first evolved from man.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
genocidal king on 03/07/2013(UTC)
Offline Mckenzie-  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2013 00:03:41(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Ryan: Although I hate all my previous work I made when I was in a pop-punk band, I can still appreciate good music from the genre. I think you bring something dynamic to the table, something unique. Most pop-punk bands are hard to separate because they all sound exactly the fucking same. The chorus is so catchy it hurts. I agree with Kerrang here, won't be too long before you rise to the top of the pop-punk scene if you keep this up. I'm proud to share the same surname.

OOC: Lyrics are brilliant man, they match the genre perfectly.
retired x
thanks 1 user thanked Mckenzie- for this useful post.
genocidal king on 04/07/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2013 00:50:38(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Ryan: Although I hate all my previous work I made when I was in a pop-punk band, I can still appreciate good music from the genre. I think you bring something dynamic to the table, something unique. Most pop-punk bands are hard to separate because they all sound exactly the fucking same. The chorus is so catchy it hurts. I agree with Kerrang here, won't be too long before you rise to the top of the pop-punk scene if you keep this up. I'm proud to share the same surname.

OOC: Lyrics are brilliant man, they match the genre perfectly.

Paige: MLC? Aww come on, man I loved you guys! You were different and serious about pop-punk, same as we are trying to be. At least you weren't another baggy jean wearing Blink wannabe. Seriously, I have everything you released on CD and vinyl. #LameIKnow. Thanks for listening and ten times more thanks for liking it! It's exciting to be praised by one of my heroes and I hope you're right! Thanks again, it means a lot to me that someone like you enjoyed our song :)

OOC: Thanks, man, glad you liked them :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
theonlysorrow on 08/07/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2013 00:55:37(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: 11 pm on school nights and 2 am on weekends....unless your grades start slipping. Allowance? I'll have to talk to your prospective mother about that. I think she is roughly your age,she knows what young girls want.

Karoliena: this has "woody Allen" written all over it.

Erich: everything isn't so dark,karoliena sometimes things are as innocent as they look.

Erica: depends on the mother. I agree that early 2000's were a land of sausagy crap. A planet where Fred first evolved from man.

Paige: 11 you say? What if I adopt a policy of fluttering my eyelashes and saying "but daaaddy!" Could I push midnight? Allowance wise....ya know, beer is getting expensive. And I'm gonna need some fake ID too. #SoDemanding.

Fred first.....Fred Durst? Oh my....I saw him recently sporting a massive beard! He still has that red cap on though. I'm all "grow the fuck up and wear a hat right...you're someone's dad...probably."
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 04/07/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2013 01:16:01(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Erich: well.....ok. midnight It is. but i want you In bed directly after brushing your teeth. How about i Just give you my wallet and You take what you Need?

Erica:eew! He just screams "std cookery". I Bet that hat covers a huuuuge bald spot. Any woman that listens to that music Needs her ovaries revoked.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2013 01:39:46(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Everything here looks great as always, nice way to start them off.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline Andre Gandra  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2013 02:55:21(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Julia: I think we're in a very productive time of rock bands releasing great music and this one is not an exception, I loved the sound and the lyrics as well.

OOC: another great RP from you, you never fail to impress me.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2013 05:30:32(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Everything here looks great as always, nice way to start them off.

Thank you for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks :)
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2013 05:35:02(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Julia: I think we're in a very productive time of rock bands releasing great music and this one is not an exception, I loved the sound and the lyrics as well.

OOC: another great RP from you, you never fail to impress me.

Ooc: Thanks Andre :)

Paige: I really appreciate the kind words Julia! Girls doing rock music right, huh? Girl power! I'm glad you enjoyed the song, it means a hell of a lot to us all!
UserPostedImage