logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2013 02:54:20(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Title: Mercury
Artist: Carmen Grant
Genre: Indie folk, alt-country
Length: 39:13
Recorded: April 2013 - November 2013
Label: Permanent Reminder
Writers: Carmen Grant, Reza Vranitzky
Producer: Reza Vranitzky

Personnel:
Carmen Grant - guitar, piano, vocals
Lucille Cooke - backing vocals
Arianne Lutz - backing vocals
James Osborn - bass
David Shea - bass
Brent Davies - percussion, bass, acoustic guitar
George Cowan - percussion, marimba
Amelia Carney - percussion
Willie Cooley - percussion
David Kaiser - percussion
Eric Haney - pedal steel
Harry Riddle - piano
Glen Braun - piano
Nina Frey - organ, orchestra bells
Brian Ritter - strings
Frederick Mooney - violin

Tracklist:
1. Ernest Hemingway and Mabel Normand (written by: Carmen Grant)
2. Mercury (written by: Carmen Grant)
3. Not Going to Lie (written by: Carmen Grant)
4. The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow (written by: Carmen Grant)
5. Hockey Skates (written by: Reza Vranitzky, Carmen Grant)
6. One More Song (written by: Carmen Grant)
7. Inside (written by: Carmen Grant)
8. Stop Looking (written by: Carmen Grant)
9. It Will Never Be (written by: Reza Vranitzky, Carmen Grant)
10. I've Been Away (written by: Carmen Grant)
11. What Are You Still Hiding? (written by: Carmen Grant)

Edited by user 24 December 2013 01:57:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 13 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 21/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/12/2013(UTC), erich hess on 21/12/2013(UTC), DistortedAudio on 21/12/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 23/12/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 30/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 30/12/2013(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 30/12/2013(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/01/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 01/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/01/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2013 01:47:13(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Ernest and Mabel
ARTIST: Carmen Grant
LENGTH: 3:18
GENRE: Indie folk, alt-country, American Primitivism

Carmen Grant has proven to us time and again that she has no problem hitting the music scene full force, in a flurry of emotion and red hair, as she releases hit after hit. Just for a quick flashback, let's remember when we first met Carmen Grant: She released an EP titled "Pet" almost immediately after she was discovered, which went triple platinum is the charts before Carmen disappeared from the music world for a little bit, only to come back with "Not Going to Lie," which blogger and music critic Honor Wynter gave a 4/5 and said that the highlight of the song was "the entire song." But, of course, Carmen Grant disappeared from us again until several months later when she came back with "Stop Looking," which had 240,000 downloads in it's first week, and has been wildly successful ever since. Carmen's fans assumed that Carmen would be disappearing for several months again after Stop Looking, but she has surprised everybody by sticking around a little bit longer to give us another new single titled "Ernest and Mabel."

The song, of course, is another emotional rollercoaster that Carmen has decided to take her listeners on as she tells us about one of her past relationships. Fans have learned from Carmen's other songs, and from the little bits that she's let people know, that she does not have a great track record with men. "Not Going to Lie" tells the story about how she's broken up with a man, but wants to remain fuck buddies with him. "Stop Looking" is about how she's looking for love again after the man that she was in love with left her. And more recently, she let her fans know that her short relationship with Neil Williamette, metal band Acts of Hate's drummer, ended suddenly. Yes, Carmen Grant was dating the drummer for a metal band. No surprise why that didn't work out.This new song, however, doesn't seem to be related to Carmen and Neil's recent breakup. This new song tells a new story of heartbreak.

Throughout the song, Carmen speaks directly to her lover. Her voice is serene and almost happy, as if she's completely accepted this situation that she and her lover are in and she's no longer upset by it anymore. The music of the song has no dramatic twists or turns in it. It stays serene and happy as well with her, the whole song one big ode to accepting the things that you cannot change. When Carmen begins the sing, her first line is, "Got your little secret, no, I will not tell" and already the listener knows that nothing good is going to come from this situation that Carmen is singing about. Carmen Grant and secrets? That can never be good. The second line, she reveals to the listeners that she and her lover are in a highway motel while her lover is sobering up. Beautiful scene, right? Pure romance. The more Carmen goes on to describe what is going on, the more the lines between "dirty hook-up" and "pathetic hook-up" get blurred. The man begs for Carmen to stay with him in the highway hotel and sing to him, but instead Carmen dances around in her underwear to turn him on, making it obvious that while to the man, this relationship is for the companionship and possibly the love he feels towards her, for Carmen it's all about the sex - making this the second song Carmen has released about wanting a relationship just for sex. The chorus of the song is, "And if you weren't so old, I'd probably keep you / If you weren't so old, I'd tell my friends / But I don't think your wife would like my friends." Woah. Brand new insight into the relationship, and it's delivered by Carmen so nonchalantly. If the listeners were rooting for this relationship to work out, they are going to be sourly disappointed now. The listener knows now that this man is much older than Carmen - and judging by the fact that Carmen is only twenty-one years old and how much she seems to rely on the judgement of her friends on who she should date, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that this relationship Carmen is singing about happened when she was much younger - possibly even when she was sixteen or seventeen. Yet nothing that she is singing seems to upset her all that greatly, almost as if she didn't understand the magnitude of sleeping with a married man - another sign that this situation took place when she was much younger - or that she just simply does not care about what happens to the man she's with and his wife. "I've got a hit for every day of the week / I gave you something of mine that was so sweet / That I've been holding on to since I was sixteen," Carmen continues in the third verse, the new information coming in that Carmen has lost her virginity to this married man. Even with this information, Carmen still seems very nonchalant about the whole situation, making the listeners think that maybe she's trying to hide all her shame and regret about how she lost her virginity and hooking up with this married man.

It's odd to think about Carmen Grant, who has such a lovable and adorable character, feel regret. It has always been said that music is how musicians show their true selves, and in Carmen Grant's case, that is certainly the truth. Perhaps Carmen's child-like and innocent personality is just a ruse to cover all the pain that she feels over her past. Something to think about, yeah?

Anyway, Carmen goes on to sing, "I'll call you Ernest, and you call me Mabel / You passed out, so I flicked through cable / And I stole your gold watch off the bedside table." Yeah, Carmen is definitely not the innocent little redhead that she has tried to make us believe she is, and she's trying to show us that through her own depiction of herself in this song. Carmen repeats the chorus twice before letting out a small chant of, "Ernest Hemingway and Mabel Normand / Ernest Hemingway and Mabel Normand" and then repeating the chorus twice more before the song ends. Ernest Hemingway was the author of several famous books such as A Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, and The Old Man and the Sea. Mabel Normand was a famous comedic silent film actress who appeared in several films with Charlie Chaplin, and later going on to write silent films. It is normal for people to use the names of famous people when checking into a motel - especially seedy ones - if they do not want anybody to know that they were there, so that explains why they used the fake names. But also the personalities of their two aliases say a bit about the person who chose them. Ernest Hemingway was a manly man, but with several disabilities that were kept unknown to the public until he killed himself later in life. Mabel Normand was beautiful and funny woman, but had her name attached to many scandals and rumors. Carmen's Ernest had his secrets - most of them involving Carmen herself. And Carmen is like Mabel in the way that although she's a friendly, beautiful girl, she's made horrible decisions that will always haunt her for the rest of her life. The names that they chose to represent themselves during their meetings were not coincidental.

Got your little secret, no, I will not tell
You're trying to sober up in the highway motel
And my hands are covered with your smell
You begged me to stay and sing you a song
I dance dirty for you because it turns you on
And I'm a little redhead with white pants on

And if you weren't so old, I'd probably keep you
If you weren't so old, I'd tell my friends
But I don't think your wife would like my friends

I've got a hit for every day of the week
I gave you something of mine that was so sweet
That I've been holding on to since I was sixteen
I'll call you Ernest, and you call me Mabel
You passed out, so I flicked through cable
And I stole your gold watch off the bed side table

Ernest Hemingway and Mabel Normand
Ernest Hemingway and Mabel Normand

SOUNDS LIKE:
M. Ward - The First Time I Ran Away

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Mercury
LENGTH: 3:58
GENRE: Alternative rock, dream pop, acoustic

Carmen wastes no time immediately going into a slower, dream pop sound as she reminisces - again - about her past. The song is short and simple, like much of Carmen's work, feeding off of the drug-use themes and shoegazing feel to create of a scene of young adulthood in Carmen's life. The act that Carmen is talking about in the song - driving out to an abandoned school's parking lot to get high - is obviously one that has happened before, and the repetition of the few lines in the song shows that it was an ongoing occurrence. The lines "And it's like you said / I would've turned up dead in the car" is Carmen saying that if somebody hadn't of stopped her, she probably would have stayed in her car for the rest of her life, getting high. The song has a very teenager-y feel to it, expressing the sort of "teenager ideals" of wanting to just sit around and get high all the time, added with the almost-drowsy sounding instrumentals and Carmen's soft, tired voice, definitely gives the song a feeling that all of these events took place a few years ago, and that Carmen is a different person now than she was then.

Although the song is a shorter song, which not much meat to it, it's another example of Carmen using her debut album to show a side of her that before the public has never gotten to see. Even with only a few singles out, and a generally well-received EP, Carmen Grant's personality has become a known identity, and perhaps it more famous than her music itself - which has only done mediocrily well in the past few months that Carmen Grant has been in the music scene. But her fans will enjoy knowing this piece of her past, as well as the other pieces that she slowly reveals over time in her album, and maybe by the end, her fans will feel like they know Carmen as how she truly is, and not just as a musician anymore.

And it's like you said,
I would've turned up dead in the car
And it's like you said,

Want to go get high?
Mercury is parked outside
Want to take me to
The parking lot of the old high school?

Want to go get high?
Want to take me to

And it's like you said,
And it's like you said,

And it's like you said,
And it's like you said,

And it's like you said,

SOUNDS LIKE:
Mazzy Star - Cry, Cry

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Not Going to Lie
LENGTH: 3:45
GENRE: Indie rock, folk rock, blues rock

Carmen's first single off of her upcoming debut album, Speak Soft, is Not Going to Lie, a song that she wrote a few years ago after a rough breakup. The song talks about the aftermath of her breakup, and how, even though they were no longer in a relationship anymore, she still wanted to continue to sexual relationship they had. Carmen felt that this was something that a lot of people could relate to. In the first few lines of her song, she sings to her ex, as if they were in the same room together, explaining to him that the situation that they are not in is very complicated and she needs to get away. She goes on to sing that she's "not going to smile at all the shit that's happened," talking, of course, about their dead relationship, and that she doesn't want to be friends. She finishes the two verse by singing, "Just take off your clothes and get into my bed." It's obvious that, while Carmen's wants out of the relationship are now purely sexual, the ex still wants some sort of romantic relationship between them. In the third verse, she talks about "the press." One interpretation on that line could be the literal press, as in perhaps Carmen once dated a famous person, and the media was constantly trying to figure out how their relationship was. Another interpretation, and one that was been considered the true one for most people, is that what Carmen calls "the press" is actually just the people who are trying to know everything about Carmen and her ex, even though that information should only be strictly between she and them. With social media/websites on the rise, and people able to see who is in a relationship with who in just a few seconds, its easy to feel like you're being pressed and interviewed for information about your love life now. We also learn in the third verse that Carmen either broke up with her ex, or was definitely the reason for their breakup. The very last verse of the song is the verse that brings everything together. Carmen seems to be speaking very sternly to her ex as she explains that she doesn't need to explain anything to them because they are no longer dating, and that her ex no longer has any sway over what she does and what she thinks. At the last line, we see a glimpse of the Carmen that we've grown to love, where she mentions that instead of dealing with all the crap that her ex is throwing her way, she's just going to drink all day instead.

From the very beginning of the song, we know that this is not going to be a fun song. Carmen Grant, although being known in some group because of her bouncy, colorful personality, tends to write very emotional songs. Not Going to Lie is not different from the other ones in that aspect. The song starts with a slow jazz feeling to it, a piano starting the song off, and then a saxophone joining in to truly give the song the "jazz club" type feeling. When Carmen starts to sing, her voice is low and sultry. Even though the song is about not wanting to be romantic with a person anymore, she still sounds like she's trying to seduce him, almost as if the whole song were one big tease. A soft drum keeps the beat throughout the song. In the second verse, her voice gains some confidence, getting a little bit louder, and then going back to her original low voice. This continues throughout the song, as if she gets up the confidence to take her ex back, and then backs away from it. Because of her voice, many people can walk away with different interpretations of the song: Is she denying her ex a romantic relationship because he doesn't deserve one, or is she denying him one because she is teasing him and only wants sex? Was it really her fault that they broke up, or was it something that he did, and not everybody knows that? Of course, the listener will probably never know the answers to these questions, so the song is completely up to how that certain listener wants to interpret it. In the very last verse, Carmen's voice finally grows much more confident than ever before. All the instruments speed up their pace, the sax playing a much more upbeat tune than before as the song takes on less of a jazz club feeling and more of a musical theatre feeling. The whole last verse develops the feeling of Carmen really telling her ex off before she sings her last line, and all of the instruments go back to their original tune. The sudden change back to the slow tune could make the listeners have a few other questions: Was the sudden change because she only had enough confidence to tell him off just that once, or was it because she immediately regretting telling him off like that? Or maybe it goes back to the relaxed feeling because she truly is more relaxed now that she's gotten him out of her hair? Who knows. That's only up to the listeners to decide.

I'm not going to lie
Not going to make up my mind tonight
I'm not going to pretend
I cleared out of town so I could clear my head

I'm not going to smile at all the shit that's happened
It's going to take a while
I don't want to be your friend
Just take off your clothes and get into my bed

And the press is after you
Jumping over fences just to see who's cool
And now I stand accused
I put a hole in your heart
And then I fed it to you

I'm not going to think
About all the shit you want me to think
I'm not going to say
Who I spent my time with yesterday
I'm not going to choose
In the end, either way, I still lose
I'm not going to
I was thinking about drinking my way through the day

SOUNDS LIKE:
Cat Power - Lived in Bars

thanks 10 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/12/2013(UTC), freestylechamp on 24/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/12/2013(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 24/12/2013(UTC), DistortedAudio on 26/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 30/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 30/12/2013(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 30/12/2013(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2013 08:13:12(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow
LENGTH: 3:46
GENRE: Alternative rock, indie rock, experimental rock

"The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow" is another story-song from Carmen Grant, this time written about a specific relationship that she was in before. Keeping with the theme of the overall debut album, Carmen lets us in on another experience in her past, this time using the characters of the Wolf and the Scarecrow to represent her lover and herself. She describes her lover as "the lone wolf." From the very beginning, the listeners - and Carmen herself, years after the experience - can tell that the Wolf isn't a great guy. He's a lonely liar who never lets people get too close to him. But, of course, in young adulthood, men like that sometimes seem appealing, and the Scarecrow got sucked into his world. Carmen describes herself as the Scarecrow - a nervous, lost, sad woman. She sings the line, "All the hunters came and took her memories back," talking about all the men that she had been with before, and how all of them took something from her - more specifically her memories, or her time - and then leaving her again.

After the introduction of the "characters" of the song, she sings about how the Scarecrow and the Wolf met. "Once they met inside a dirty curtained room / And the rain fell down hard that day on the tin roof," she sings, the setting of the story seeming like a very poor, rundown place. Possibly a dive bar or a club. The Scarecrow recognizes the Wolf as a like-soul and immediately falls in love with him, but warns him that he should keep his heart close to his chest - like the Scarecrow hasn't - or the "hunters" will come and take memories from him as well. The Wolf responds that he's seen what will happen if he gives his heart up to people before, but he's always gotten away from them before they take anything. He refers to the Scarecrow as one of the hunters, and warns her that he'll never stay with her, therefore she will always been looking for him again.

That seems like the end of the story - two people who are probably meant for each other, but have been hurt far too many times to even try to make their relationship work - but in the next verse after the chorus, the story continues. Although the Wolf and the Scarecrow have both been hurt and have agreed to not give their heart up to anybody else, the Wolf charms his way into the Scarecrow's bed, making the Scarecrow think that the Wolf is in love with her. But that night, the memories all of all the heartbreak that the Scarecrow had endured returned to her. Instead of fully giving into the love that she could have shared with the Wolf, she sends him away, killing the idea of any relationship with him and all the lies that she had believed. The song ends on a sad note, leaving the Scarecrow back to looking for real love, and the Wolf unscathed, going on to lie and cheat again.

The song, although folksy in it's story-telling ways, is the most pop sounding song on the entire album. It's obvious that it was Carmen's experiment with other sounds besides her own normal, indie-folk sound, but while still using indie-folk type lyrics. It definitely still has an indie sound to it, but it's not the type of song that listeners would automatically recall was a Carmen Grant song, like Stop Looking and Not Going to Lie are.

He was the lone wolf, you could see it in his eyes
The way he held his heart, the way he held his lies
Sometimes he'd just show up outside on the porch
An hour at a time, like a lonely whore

She was a scarecrow, the way she always looked around
For something she once had and never could be found
Time was on her side, but she never kept track
All the hunters came and took her memories back

Once they met inside a dirty curtained room
And the rain fell down hard that day onto the tin roof
She said, "I've seen you before, I've been looking for you
Better keep your heart close, hunters are coming for you."
He said, "I've seen them before, and I always get away
Because you will never stop looking, and I will never stay."

The lone wolf kissed her mouth, like so many before
Scarecrow closed her eyes and then she closed the door
And the rain fell down on the tin roof when the memories returned the night
Those stolen thoughts killed the wolf and all his lies

SOUNDS LIKE:
PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder

Edited by user 28 December 2013 09:07:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
freestylechamp on 28/12/2013(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 28/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 28/12/2013(UTC), erich hess on 28/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 30/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 30/12/2013(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 30/12/2013(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2013 00:54:25(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
OOC : Absolutely love the way you laid out the lyrics of The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow . Really great song . Definitely my favorite so far . As usual your lyrics are marvelous . Psyched for the rest .
Offline snap_itshannah  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2013 01:15:43(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
OOC : Absolutely love the way you laid out the lyrics of The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow . Really great song . Definitely my favorite so far . As usual your lyrics are marvelous . Psyched for the rest .

OOC: Thank you so much! :) you're too sweet.
thanks 2 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
kandii on 30/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 30/12/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2014 07:05:23(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Hockey Skates
ARTIST: Carmen Grant (written by Carmen Grant & Reza Vranitzky)
LENGTH: 4:08
GENRE: Indie rock, indie folk, folk rock

After "The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow" with it's indie pop genre sound, Carmen Grant is quick to bring us back to the type of music that she is know for - indie folk and folk rock. The song was written by Carmen Grant and Reza Vranizky, and is the first song Carmen has ever co-written. Most all of Carmen's songs have been solely written by herself. But Reza Vranizky made sure that the song, although partly written by her, still had the same feeling that Carmen brought to all of her songs.

Like several of the other songs in the album, this song is another story-song about another relationship of Carmen's gone terribly wrong. It's a relatable story about trying to stay friends with one of your exes, and then beginning to resent them for all the choices and mistakes that they made in your relationship. The song starts out setting the scene of Carmen walking "down the same streets, to the same bar." It's obvious that this was a bar that she and her ex used to frequent a lot when they were together, and now are trying to not attach any of those memories to it anymore. The people that they used to see when they were together say hello to her, but Carmen doesn't answer, trying not to give into the memories that they evoke either. "And I, you know, I don't even order anymore," she finishes the first verse, finishing the explanation that they've been there enough that the bartender knows exactly what she drinks and so she doesn't need to order anymore. The chorus is, "I am so sick of consequences and the look on your face / I am tired of playing defense, I don't even have hockey skates / Don't even have hockey skates." The chorus, along with most of the song, is so full of bitterness and malice towards Carmen's ex that the statement, "I am tired of playing defense, I don't even have hockey skates," is extremely laughable and almost coquettish sounding. It's a small reminder that even though Carmen is using this album to confess some dark parts of her past, she is still the same adorable, childish Carmen that everybody came to know and love through her interviews and Twitter. She continues on, now using the song to berate her ex, telling him that she won't be meeting him any time late - especially at a place that sells alcohol because then there's more likely a chance that she'll be going home with him - and that when they try to talk about their relationship like their friends, it turns into him telling her everything that she did wrong, so she would rather not see him at all. The next verse is, "Do you wish your nose was longer / So you'd have an excuse not to see past it? / Do you wish the lights were / Brighter in the city that you live?" Carmen sings this, attacking her ex even further, the irony of him blaming all of their problems on her while she is doing the same thing back is not lost of Carmen. The line about the lights in his city Carmen uses metaphorically to ask him if he wishes that he wishes he could see everything about their relationship a bit more clearer - in the light - and if he did, would he be able to see how Carmen feels? Or does he even want to see how she feels? It's a more depressing and thoughtful line than the rest of the song. She finishes the song by repeating the first three lines: "Going down the same old town / Down the same streets, to the same bar / And the same old faces saying, "Hi," and I don't care," showing that even though she seems like she's so against seeing her ex again, she'll end up going to this bar again and again every time he asks her to.

Going down in the same old town
Down the same streets, to the same bar
And the same old faces saying, "Hi," and I don't care
Going down in the same old bar
And I, you know, I don't even order anymore

I am so sick of consequence and the look on your face
I am tired of playing defense, I don't even have hockey skates
Don't even have hockey skates

You can meet me at ten-thirty
And I won't be there, I'll be gone
We can talk like we are friends, going over it all again
Talking about everything I am doing wrong

Do you wish your nose was longer
So you'd have an excuse not to see past it?
Do you wish the lights were
Brighter in the city that you live?

I am so sick of consequence and the look on your face
I am tired of playing defense, I don't even have hockey skates
Don't even have hockey skates

You can meet me at ten-thirty
Well, I won't be there, I'll be gone
We can talk like we are friends, going over it all again
Talking about everything I am doing wrong

And do you think your boys club will crumble
Just because of a loud mouthed girl?
Just because of a loud mouthed girl?
I don't even have hockey skates

Going down in the same old town
Down the same street, to the same bar
And the same old faces saying, "Hi," and I don't care

SOUNDS LIKE:
The Decemberists - Foregone

thanks 6 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
Walton on 01/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 01/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 01/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 03/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Realms Of Darkness  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2014 07:10:06(UTC)
Realms Of Darkness

Man
Argentina

Was thanked: 961 time(s) in 386 post(s)
OOC: Awesome work! Love all the lyrics!
UserPostedImage
UNVEIL THE DARK MYTHOS!
Mythos, the successor of the #1 album The Arcanum Circle OUT NOW!
Available through Kaleidoscope Records! Click on the banner!

UserPostedImage
WELCOME TO THE JOURNEY!
A Journey Through The Innermost, the debut album Bill Owens' prog-metal act OUT NOW!
Available through Songs To Love And Die By! Click on the banner!

My Artists:

The Enlightened || Aeons || Bill Owens

Other:

REVER MUSIC STUDIOS
The World's best recording studios!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2014 07:10:41(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
OOC: Awesome work! Love all the lyrics!

OOC: Thank you so much! :)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2014 05:21:35(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: One More Song
LENGTH: 2:57
GENRE: Indie rock, alternative country, indie folk

Although Reza Vranitzky didn't help write "One More Song," which was the last song that was written for "Mercury," she was partly the inspiration for it. In a discussion that Carmen and Reza were having about the album, Reza made the comment that when she first heard Carmen's EP "Pet," she thought that there was no way that the radio would ever play one of her songs because they didn't seem like the type of sound the "radios would like." Carmen knew that she had a different sound than what was normally played on the radios, and in response to Reza's confession, Carmen wrote this song.

Like many artists before her, Carmen uses this song to call out to other artists and people in the music industry, asking why the pop stars and rock bands are getting more radio time than the folk artists and alternative bands are. Following the other tracks before this one, she asks this question in a story-song, talking specifically about one unnamed rock star who uses his undeserved stardom to get what he wants without a care for others. The rock star - or as Carmen refers to him throughout the song "little rocket star" - and Carmen seem to be a team together, as if maybe Carmen knew him before he became famous, and is now comparing his new self to his old self. Carmen tells him, "You can't even make up my mind," saying that even though they are friends, he doesn't even have the ability to make her like his music, so obviously people who don't know him personally aren't going to like it either. "Just one more song the radio won't like," she says at the end of the chorus, speaking about how the sound of the song isn't the type of music that is normally played on the radio, but also how rock and pop stars on the radio aren't going to like Carmen speaking this freely and negatively about them. "Reel it in and shut your mouth / Reputations are in doubt / Write a hit so I can talk you up," Carmen tells her rockstar friend, asking them to do something worth wild with their new found stardom so that Carmen feels like she has a reason to talk them up besides being their friend. "No one likes a girl who won't sober up," she finishes the verse, saying the all-magical truth that nobody likes the constantly drunk girl, but also that nobody likes the girl who can't come to terms with the fact that her friends' rockband sucks, or isn't as great as she's trying to talk to them up to being. "Brush your hair and straighten up / Put down the drink that you just got / Their little rocket star / Picked up a girl at the bar," Carmen sings in the next verse, making the listener think that maybe her rockstar friend has gotten the message and is trying to make himself better for his music and for the other musicians out there, but as the verse ends, it becomes obvious that the rockstar was only pretending to be this serious artist to impress a girl at the bar. "So I keep my sanity / Wire cars and everything / I guess that we are through / The bad advice from you," ends the song before the final chorus, with Carmen giving up and saying that she'll never become one of the stuck-up musicians out there, and that she'll always "keep her sanity" and stay herself. The song ends on an upbeat note, as if there's hope for the musicians that act like this, and also a hope from Carmen that nobody will be too offended by what she's said about the state of the radio today.

Their little rocket star is flashing the label's credit card
His name is at the door, but no one knew what for
He says he's got a strategy, I'm a test of his sanity
Wire cares and whiskey, bad debts and dirty laundry

You can't even make up my mind
Just one more song the radio won't like

Reel it in and shut your mouth
Reputations are in doubt
Write a hit so I can talk you up
No one likes a girl who won't sober up

And you can't even make up my mind
Oh, one more song the radio won't like

Brush your hair and straighten up
Put down the drink that you just got
Their little rocket star
Picked up a girl at the bar

So I keep my sanity
Wire cars and everything
I guess that we are through
The bad advice from you

Oh, one more song the radio won't like
One more song the radio won't like

SOUNDS LIKE:
Jenny Lewis w/ the Watson Twins - Handle with Care

Edited by user 03 January 2014 05:22:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 03/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 03/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 03/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 10/01/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#10 Posted : 07 January 2014 01:30:11(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Inside
LENGTH: 3:21
GENRE: Psychedlic rock, roots rock, country rock

Carmen greats us at the end of "One More Song" - which is a fairly upbeat and chipper song - with "Inside", which is much more somber song. Her voice sounds drugged and lazy as she sings the ultimate origin story song. "Inside" is the climax of the entire album, as all the other songs have basically been setting us up to hear this story of what happened to Carmen years ago that made her who she is today.

Carmen waits no time immediately setting the scene of the story she is about to tell. Her boyfriend, who she still loves very dearly, has had a mental breakdown from the pressures of life in general, and now has a gun. Whether he's threatened to shoot, or is just considered a dangerous to himself or others is never said, but it's obvious that everybody is taking this situation very seriously, as the first line of the song is telling us at what position the policeman is with his gun loaded. The drugged sound of Carmen's voice makes the song that much more depressing, as if Carmen can only speak of the occurrence if she's under some sort of substance. She continues on, stating that her boyfriend spent half his life trying to turn the other half around, so it's clear that her boyfriend may not have been that great of a guy in the past, and has been trying to make up for it. The chorus of the song is, "And I tried to come clean, but I guess it's no use / Face is all over the six o'clock news / They cleared the streets and then they closed the schools / I can't even get inside." It's a heartbeaking chorus that Carmen echoes throughout the song, reminding the listener of how badly Carmen wants to talk to her boyfriend and try to calm him down, but the police won't let her. There's a slight desperation in her voice, as if she's reliving the whole event, hoping that maybe - just this once - the police will let her talk him down and everything will turn out alright.

The next verse is Carmen asking her boyfriend what it was that made him so upset. She first asks if it had anything to do with him farm going under - which would have been a recent event - or if it was when his father died after he moved away - which would have been an event in the past. It's concluded at the end that no matter what it was that made him this upset, it probably had something to do with his mother, who thinks that he's a failure and doesn't want anything to do with him - which is enough to drive anybody a little crazy. As if the song weren't heartbreaking enough, Carmen goes on to tell her boyfriend in the song that she's pregnant with his child. The listeners and Carmen both know that her boyfriend can't hear her because the policemen won't let her talk to him, so he's never given the information that Carmen is pregnant with his child. She pleads with him in the song to give himself up so he will only have to do a little time in jail, and then they can be together again. But, of course, a song like this can't have a happy ending. The policeman, in the end, shoots Carmen's boyfriend, killing him on the spot. The song ends with Carmen repeating, "And I can't feel my broken heart, I can't feel my broken heart."

This song will, of course, open up a lot of questions with Carmen's fans. Carmen has never mentioned having a child, and nobody has ever seen her with a child before, so the question of what happened there comes into play. The question if this song is even a true story is a big one, although Carmen has been known to use her music to tell the story of her life, so there's no reason for her to write this tragedy, knowing that people will probably assume that it's a true story when it isn't. The emotions in the story are so genuine, but perhaps Carmen is just a good actress. The unanswered questions that this song creates will probably fill many fan's minds, but more than likely, they will never be answered.

Policeman on the corner and he loaded two rounds
And I can't even cross a line to talk you down
And, love, sweet boy, where'd you get that gun?
You spend half you life trying to turn the other half around

And I tried to come clean, but I guess it's no use
Face is all over the six o'clock news
They cleared the streets and then they closed the schools
I can't even get inside

Did you lose your head when the farm went down?
Or was it when your daddy died after he moved to town?
And I know your mother calls you, "good for nothing"
She says her baby is a failure, and she doesn't want you calling

I can't even get inside

Love, sweet boy, there's just something I need to say to you
I'm going to have your baby this coming June
We could get a little place down by the park
You could do a little time and save my broken heart

I can't even get inside

Policeman went ahead, and he just shot you through
Now you're lying dead on the avenue
And I can't feel my broken heart, I can't feel my broken heart

SOUNDS LIKE:
My Morning Jacket - You Wanna Freak Out

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Stop Looking
LENGTH: 3:56
GENRE: Indie rock, folk rock, blues rock

For a while, Carmen's fans were beginning to think that Carmen Grant would never return to the airwaves. After a wildly successful triple platinum EP, Carmen released one single off of the EP, and then disappeared. She briefly reappeared a few months later, releasing another single - "Not Going to Lie" - off of her newly upcoming album - which was originally titled "Speak Soft," but has recently been changed to "Mercury" - and then disappearing from us all over again. Her listeners going to start getting abandonment issues if she keeps this up. But now it looks like Carmen is finally back to stay, releasing another single from her upcoming album, this time titled "Stop Looking." In her EP and her first single, Carmen Grant had shown exactly what kind of music she was going to be making: The kind that makes you want to curl up and cry. In this single, she seems to be doing no different, and you don't see anybody complaining.

The song starts off with a slowly played electric guitar, which is soon accompanied by a soft fiddle, making the listener think, "Oh, Carmen. It's so nice to have you back, throwing the sound of a fiddle into a relatively contemporary song. Please don't ever stop doing what you're doing." Carmen seems to respond to them by beginning to sing, and making all of their hearts melt. In "Not Going to Lie," her listeners remember Carmen's soft voice and the way that every emotion echoed through her voice and into our hearts. "Stop Looking" is no different. Carmen Grant holds nothing back as she lays out her heart and soul for all to hear. There are points in the song where it seems like the guitar is going to overpower Carmen's voice as the emotion of the song over takes her and she drops into a tone slightly louder than a whisper. By the end of the song, when Carmen's voice completely fades out and all the listeners are left with again is that guitar and the fiddle, they feel thoroughly emotionally exhausted, as if they've experienced all the hurt Carmen has experienced in her life in a four minute time frame.

Although "Not Going to Lie" told the rather empowering story of a girl just wanting to sleep with her ex and then never see him again, "Stop Looking" has a slightly dark - yet still unbelievably upbeat - message to it. The song starts with Carmen talking about one of her past relationships, stating that there are things in her life that nobody needs to see - "Desk drawers filled with picture frames / Postcards tucked in underneath." It's obvious that there's a part of Carmen Grant's life that she doesn't want to think about all the time, but that she doesn't want to forget either. She goes on to explain that it was a young love that she had, and the boy moved away, leaving her all alone. It's a sad story, and one we know all too well. The expectation for a song like this is for the singer to start crying about how much they miss their ex and how much they wish they could have the old times back. But not with Carmen Grant. Although its very obvious that she does miss her old lover and wants him back, she goes on to tell her listeners - especially the ones that have perhaps gone through something similar - "But don't get down / Good things come when you stop waiting around / Good things come when you stop looking / Don't get down, you've just got to stop looking." The chorus throws the listener off immediately, as we were already mentally preparing ourselves for the sob fest of the century. But no. Rather than explicitly say all the emotions that she is feeling towards this situation, Carmen instead offers sound advice about not getting down on yourself if she can't find love again, because love will find you in the end. She goes on to talk about the good things in her life, like her family, the control that she has over her life, and a career that she loves. Of course she's still upset over losing somebody that she loves, but she recognizes that there are other things in life to be happy about. As she finishes the song, she sings, "There are some things I used to be / Won't you find the will just to remind me? / Because you are so safe inside my memory / Like the scar underneath my knee." She is still very much in love with this man, and she'll keep him locked inside her memory forever, like a scar. At the end of the story, the listener is left to wonder if Carmen Grant really does think that good things will come if she stops waiting for them, or if she's just saying that to try to reassure herself that everything is going to be okay.

I've got a long, long list of things
That no one needs to see
Desk drawers filled with picture frames
Postcards tucked in underneath

We were only young when we moved away
It went on and on for years
You fell in love and now you live in the city
Now I'm my own company out here

But don't get down
Good things come when you stop waiting around
Good things come when you stop looking
Don't get down, you've just got to stop looking

There are some things that I believe
Like if you've got nothing, you've still got your family
And when you are no one, you're still the queen
And there's not a dollar enough in the world that would make me not sing

But don't get down
Good things come when you stop looking
Don't get down, you've just got to stop looking

There are some things I used to be
Won't you find the will just to remind me
Because you are so safe inside my memory
Like the scar underneath my knee

SOUNDS LIKE:
Cat Power - Good Woman

Edited by user 07 January 2014 01:30:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 07/01/2014(UTC), Tman on 07/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 08/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 10/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Tman  
#11 Posted : 07 January 2014 02:04:21(UTC)
Tman

Man
United States

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Deadeye Baulschoff: I usually don't like this kind of music but yours is really good.
Active People:

James 'Deadeye' Baulschoff
Raymond Lyzakyan
Lucas Kyargo
Zeke Azako
Matthew Ray Vaughn

Inactive People:

John Baulschoff
John Buck
Sam Bell
Christina Baulschoff
Geoff Rodriguez

Offline snap_itshannah  
#12 Posted : 07 January 2014 02:07:44(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Deadeye Baulschoff: I usually don't like this kind of music but yours is really good.

Carmen: Thank you, Mr. Deadeye!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2014 05:49:27(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: It Will Never Be
ARTIST: Carmen Grant (written by: Carmen Grant & Reza Vranitzky)
LENGTH: 3:40
GENRE: Indie rock, power pop

We already knew from "Hockey Skates" that Reza Vranitzky and Carmen Grant are a power couple at writing heartbreaking songs about failing or failed relationships, but just in case the listeners weren't exactly sure of that yet, they bring out "It Will Never Be" for the third to last song on the album. It's another fairly relatable song written from the girlfriend's point of view - although anybody in the relationship could feel this way - about how complicated a relationship can become when you're trying to mix your life with your significant other with the life you have with the rest of your friends and the world.

Although the one-sided conversation that the girlfriend is having in the song makes it seem like the relationship is on the rocks, she seems willing to keep on trying for the sake of them being together. Unlike most of Carmen's other songs on this album, where the relationship seems doomed from the start, this one shows that the character we've been following in this album is growing and maturing, and trying harder to make their relationships work. The song starts off with Carmen singing, "This is not my town and it will never be." She goes on to describe a situation where Carmen left her hometown to be with this person, and while her significant other thinks that everything is going great between them, Carmen feels out of place because this town that she now lives in isn't her town, and her significant other's apartment that she's now moved into is filled with her significant other's things and feels more like his apartment than their's. She describes the situation perfectly by telling him, "This is your life, I get copied keys / Try and force a little smile, hold it a little while for you." She continues on to talk about how, while her significant other knows everything about the town that they live in because he grew up in it, his excitement to show her around isn't matched by her's at all. All of his favorite local shops and restaurants are his secrets, not hers. Maybe in Carmen's hometown, she had favorite shops and restaurants that she could have shown him, but she decided to move to his town and not the other way around, and she's stuck herself in this situation without thinking it through. "Try and hide a little pain for the things I can't explain to you," she sings at the end of the second verse, wishing that there were a way for her significant other to understand why this town and situation is so upsetting to her.

The third verse talks about an even more difficult portion of moving to somebody else's town for them: Their friends. Carmen states that she likes her significant other's friends because they're the reasons why her significnat other is the way that he is, but she wonders if he would be the same person if he would have left them behind the way that she had to leave her friends behind. "All of the things I used to be, all the things I miss of me for you," she tells him, trying to explain that when she left her hometown for him, she was also leaving behind a huge chunk of herself. She reaches the end of the song by trying to explain to him that she likes his friends and she likes his town, and they are his friends and his town, and they'll always be just his friends and his town - never their friends and their town.

As the upbeat power pop rhythm from "It Will Never Be" starts to fade out, the slow guitar from the song "Mercury" starts to flow in, and slowly the song turns into a reprisal of "Mercury," with Carmen's soft voice singing, "Want to go get high? / Mercury is parked outside / Want to take me to / The parking lot of the old high school? / And it's like you said / I would've turned up dead in the car," over and over again until she finally fades out all the way, giving into the next song, "I've Been Away."

This is not my town and it will never be
This is our apartment, filled with your things
This is your life, I get copied keys
Try and force a little smile, hold it a little while for you

These are your old streets and you know them well
One way shortcuts all the way downtown
But your favorite find is just my secondhand secret
Try and hide a little pain for the things I can't explain to you

These are your good friends and I like them fine
Because they are your past and present time
But would you even be the same if you left them behind?
All the things I used to be, all the things I miss of me for you

Because these are your good friends and I like them fine
These are your old streets and you know them well
This is not my town and it will never be
And it will never be and it will never be
And it will never be and it will never be ours, ours

Want to go get high?
Want to take me to

And it's like you said,

Want to go get high?
Want to take me to

And it's like you said,

SOUNDS LIKE:
The New Pornographers - Sweet Talk, Sweet Talk

Edited by user 08 January 2014 05:50:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 08/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 08/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 10/01/2014(UTC), GirlSpice on 11/01/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2014 01:22:18(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: I've Been Away
LENGTH: 3:36
GENRE: Indie folk, alt-country, American Primitivism

As the listener near the end of the album, they are greated by the penultimate song titled "I've Been Away," and already they begin to prepare their bodies for another song about heartbreak and disillusioned love. But she surprises us with a song that is a tiny bit less depressing as her other ones. In "I've Been Away," Carmen tells the story of returning to the town that you're from, remembering all the good times you've had in it, and hoping that the people you used to hang out with remember them as well.

The song's tune is like "Ernest and Mabel" in the way that it's very serene and calm, Carmen's voice never leaving one octive as she sings about coming home, grasping for the chance that maybe everything will go back to way it was before she left. The song starts with her driving back to her home in the rain - not a good sign - speeding the entire way. On the way, she starts to remember a memory she had of hanging out with her friends at a bar, and the way that they used to act together. "I was rehearsing a part / From down at the bar," she sings as she tries to 'get into character' of the girl she was in that bar before she sees all of her old friends again. As she continues, she wonders if her friends would even talk to her again as she asks them - although not really them, but the them in her mind - "Do you pick up your phone? / Do you check your mail? / Do you answer your door, even if it's late?" Carmen hasn't told anybody that she's coming back to her hometown, and she's hoping that at least somebody will be willing to see her when she's there. She doesn't know how to call or talk to, and states that she thinks she forgot what her friends' faces look like. This may be an exaggeration, but it shows how scared she is of returning back to her home and finding that everything is different from when she left. "Do you think that I've changed?" she continues on in the third verse. "I swear, I never tried." Carmen tries to explain to the friends she's having a conversation with in her head that if it's her that's changed and not them, she wasn't conciously trying to change and it was just something that happened. She tells them that she had tried to forget them when she was away, but now that she wants back, she hopes that they never tried to forget her. During the last part of the song, Carmen repeats, "I've been away," in between each line, almost as if to try to guilt her old friends by saying, "This isn't my fault, I've been away. If you forgot me, you're bad friends, because I've just been away." The song, although another good song for the Mercury album, is another song that doesn't shine the best light on Carmen Grant as a person.

I remember the way
Driving home late
Speeding all the way
Alone in the rain
I was rehearsing a part
From down at the bar
My mouth smelled like a drink
We were laughing, I think
I've been away

Do you pick up your phone?
Do you check your mail?
Do you answer your door, even if it's late?
I don't know who to call
I don't know who to write
And I think I forgot
What your face looks like
I've been away

Do you think that I've change?
I swear, I never tried
Memory is a terrible thing
When you use it right
I was rehearsing a part
From down at the bar
My mouth smelled like a drink
We were laughing, I think
I've been away

Do you pick up your phone?
I've been away
Do you check your mail?
I've been away
Do you answer your door, even if it's late?
I've been away

SOUNDS LIKE:
M. Ward - Rave On

Edited by user 09 January 2014 01:23:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AmyJayneXoX on 09/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 09/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 09/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 10/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 10/01/2014(UTC), GirlSpice on 11/01/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#15 Posted : 10 January 2014 01:59:10(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: What Are You Still Hiding?
LENGTH: 5:28
GENRE: Americana, folk rock, country rock

"What Are You Hiding?" is the last song on Carmen Grant's debut album, and also the longest song. Carmen takes her time in finishing up what definitely equals about a month of intense therapy for her. The song she leaves us on is one of finalization, as if she's literally saying goodbye to everybody that went on this adventure through her mind with her. She sets the scene of her final story-song with her openly mentioning all the mistakes she had made in the past, including all the songs that we just heard that talk about those mistakes. She refers to her past as her "old life," which is very fitting because anybody who knows Carmen now would have never guessed that Carmen had ever been through anything tragic or overly upsetting in her life, judging by how happy and upbeat she is all the time. But in the story, Carmen is in her "new life" and sees somebody from the old one, and picks them up. Speaking to the person from her past, she tells him that all of the wrongs that she ever committed in her past never made that person right, and that the silence between them is a constant reminder that people are now ashamed to have known her during her past life. But this person from her past and her were way too familiar of a sight in the old days, and they need to try to keep it together in public. "What are you still hiding? Are you even trying? / Why have you come? What are you waiting for?" she asks this person, wanting to know why, out of all the times in her life, did this person have to show back up right after she was trying to turn her life around. She tells him that she's waiting for him to begin speaking - waiting for him to manipulate and seduce her into going back to her old ways, but he never speaks. Finally, when the person in her past does speak, they tell her that they like her better the way she was in their memories, to which Carmen replies, "You've got to be fucking kidding me." Carmen and this person from her past drive around her old town together, seeing all the neighborhoods and corners where they used to hang out. As Carmen drives, she realizes that her past life was shitty and she enjoys the new one she has much more, writing off this person from her past and everything they have to say to her. The song finishes with her asking the person from her past those four questions again - "What are you still hiding? Are you even trying? / Why have you come? What are you waiting for?" - but never expecting an answer.

But maybe that's too easy of an analysis of a Carmen Grant song - especially the song that she chooses to end her heartbreaking, twisted debut album with. No, like all of Carmen Grant's songs, there's something much deeper to this than just meeting with an old friend and realizing that your old life was shittier than the one you have now. If you look throughout the song, you'll find several references to other songs and other feelings that Carmen had conveyed towards other people - like when the person from Carmen's past tells her that they like her better in their memory, that almost directly parallels what Carmen told her past lover in Stop Looking. She uses a rainy day as a metaphor for an opportunity for her person from her past to convince her to come back to her old life, but she also uses rain throughout her album - like in The Ballad of the Wolf and the Scarecrow, she talks about the rain falling on the rooftops when the Scarecrow decides that she's in love with the Wolf, but also when she remembers how the Wolf hurt her, and decides to leave him. She also mentions rain in the song before this one, "I've Been Away," when she's attempting to change herself back into the type of person she was in her old life. The person from Carmen's past seems to talk and feels a lot of the same ways that Carmen did in her past, so it would be a pretty apt analysis for somebody to say that the person in the car with Carmen during "What Are You Still Hiding?" is a metaphor for Carmen's old life. As Carmen drives around her old town, that temptation to go back to the way she was shows up, and Carmen flirts with the idea of going back to it for just a little bit. But after driving around her town and having all of the memories of the way her life was in her past life, she decides that the life she has now is much better and that she would never want to go back to the old one. She asks her past life those four questions as she music fades out, ending the song and the album in it's entirety.

All the things I tried
Mistakes made in my old life
I picked you up that night
All my wrongs don't make you right
Silence reminds me
I'm a secret too dirty to keep
And we're such a familiar sight
I gave you my word, and it cost your life

What are you still hiding? Are you even trying?
Why have you come, what are you waiting for?

All the words you had
Planted seeds inside your head
Just waiting on a rainy day
Well, I'm standing soaking and you still can't say
All the dreams you had
It's been years and you're still mad
You say you like me in your memory
You've got to be fucking kidding me

Why have you come? What are you waiting for?

And we drive through the old neighborhood
All the corners where we stood
An hour passes, you don't even blink
I'm writing you off and you still can't speak

SOUNDS LIKE:
Lucinda Williams - Lake Charles

Edited by user 10 January 2014 02:00:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AmyJayneXoX on 10/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 10/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 10/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 10/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 10/01/2014(UTC), GirlSpice on 11/01/2014(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#16 Posted : 10 January 2014 08:45:15(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Kidd: Okay so while I was on tour tour I got a chance to listen to fellow "label mate" Carmen Grant and I like her stuff. in a weird sort of way. Not the type of music to put on with other people though, but it's different in a change of pace kind of way. You forget we have so many rapper on this label that rock, is this rock?, Anyway good job Carmen it was a good CD and kinda matches your personality because I still don't understand you or your style but I like it.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#17 Posted : 10 January 2014 09:00:44(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Kidd: Okay so while I was on tour tour I got a chance to listen to fellow "label mate" Carmen Grant and I like her stuff. in a weird sort of way. Not the type of music to put on with other people though, but it's different in a change of pace kind of way. You forget we have so many rapper on this label that rock, is this rock?, Anyway good job Carmen it was a good CD and kinda matches your personality because I still don't understand you or your style but I like it.

Carmen: Thank you very much, Mr. Amaze! :) mwah!
Offline erich hess  
#18 Posted : 10 January 2014 09:26:34(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17918 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
erich:carmen....nobody else is like her. this album is as unique as she is,and nearly as likable...at least from what ive seen of her on the the internetz. sometimes i like a little something that isnt like being stabbed in the ass with an icepick.i want stories,i want warm acoustics...carmen delivers like a prized mail man.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#19 Posted : 10 January 2014 09:31:57(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
erich:carmen....nobody else is like her. this album is as unique as she is,and nearly as likable...at least from what ive seen of her on the the internetz. sometimes i like a little something that isnt like being stabbed in the ass with an icepick.i want stories,i want warm acoustics...carmen delivers like a prized mail man.

Carmen: Awwww, Mr. Erich! Carmen didn't know you had such a soft side to you. Carmen thought you only had an insane side. :) Carmen will continue to deliver acoustical stories just for you.
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 10/01/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#20 Posted : 10 January 2014 09:47:12(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Bianca: This album is an euphoric feeling for me, it's so good. My little indie heart is smitten. I'd just like to say I'm so glad you're an artist and you're so good at what you do, don't ever change, at all. My favorite has to be 'One More Song' I just love it but I love the entire album :) Sooo insanely good.

OOC: Wonderful job on the album and lyrics, everything :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar