logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2020 14:31:33(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19117 time(s) in 7588 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Joshua Grimmie
Title: GOLDENHEART
Genre(s): Rock, Pop, Ska Punk, New Wave, Metal, Reggae Fusion, Spoken Word
Length: 54:21
Writers: J.Grimmie
Producers: J.Grimmie
Format(s): CD, Vinyl, Cassette, Digital Download, Streaming
Label: Five Pesky Kids
Singles Released: SURPRISE! (#1), Tragic Kingdom (#1), Swallow (#1)

GOLDENHEART is the second studio album by American singer-songwriter, Joshua Grimmie. The album is due for release December 4, 2020, by Five Pesky Kids Records. It is Grimmie's first musical output since 2017's "PORCELAINHEART", his critically acclaimed and multi-platinum selling debut album. Joshua and his team were initially intending on releasing an album in 2019, however, Grimmie's highly publicised split from Johnny Carter, several breakdowns and stints in mental health wellness facilities delayed the project indefinitely. By early 2020, Joshua had completed the recording of the album and planned on a spring release. The sudden death of his older sister, Ashley Grimmie, and the COVID-19 pandemic caused further delays until November. "GOLDENHEART" was entirely written and produced by Joshua himself unlike his debut. It is primarily a Pop Rock and Ska Punk record with a blend of an array of genres ranging from Reggae Fusion to Metal. "SURPRISE!" was released as the lead single on May 24, 2020 and debuted at #1 on the Chart Heat Singles. It became Grimmie's first chart-topping single and one of the biggest-selling songs of the year. "Tragic Kingdom" was released as the second single on October 22, 2020 and achieved similar success, topping the charts and receiving critical acclaim.

BACKGROUND

Ever since titling his debut album, Joshua decided upon keeping the "HEART" theme with his first four releases, representing the chambers of the heart and the different stages of his life as both a young man and upcoming artist. Grimmie and his team initially conceptualised the "GOLDENHEART" project as a reissued and repackaged version of his debut album, "PORCELAINHEART". A second disc of new material was proposed as a way of integrating new music for his upcoming world tour in support of the record. After Joshua's first world tour was cancelled due to a terror threat from a right-wing extremist gunman, Grimmie then scrapped the idea of a re-release. He stated that he wanted all four projects following the "HEART" theme to be "full, fleshed out albums" and not "three ideas and a half idea tacked on for extra streams".

Joshua began writing and recording material for a new studio album in late 2018. An overarching theme on this incarnation of "GOLDENHEART" was that of finding and being in love, with his then-boyfriend Johnny Carter as inspiration. In mid-2019, after two years together, Carter and Grimmie split. The separation was caustic and highly publicised. Johnny would then take to a reclusive lifestyle while Joshua constantly remained in the headlines for his public outbursts and erratic behaviour. Grimmie had already been sectioned earlier that year on account of his decline in mental health wellbeing. Following the split, Joshua entered a facility for a second time in 2019. All of the material was scrapped and plans were put on hold indefinitely.

In late 2019, Joshua would begin writing again. The singer admitted that he began creating music again "just to keep [himself] sane" and that the creation of an album was the last thing on his mind. Following a time of relative solitude and crafting his own compositions, Joshua decided to elaborate further, believing that his next record could easily be composed entirely by himself. After a conversation with close friend and label co-owner Dustyn Blue-Conners, Joshua states that he became inspired to write more honestly and take control of his own narrative. "GOLDENHEART" would then finally begin to take shape throughout the winter of 2019, becoming a more introspective and "rawer" project.

COMPOSITION & PRODUCTION

"GOLDENHEART" is a Rock and Ska Punk project with Metal, Reggae Fusion, Glam Rock, Synthpop, Disco and R&B influences with several Pop elements. The album is highly experimental but is held together with recurring sonics such as heavy use of live instruments, rocky and soaring vocals from Joshua and "brutally honest" song writing, creating a cohesive feel throughout the vast blend of genres. The record also contains spoken-word interludes throughout as well as a reprise at the end.

The album has been referred to as a much "heavier" sound for Grimmie in comparison to his debut. Lyrically, the singer also writes extremely candidly throughout. He addresses a multitude of issues within the span of the album such as; his sister's passing, grief, body image issues, mental health, a suicide attempt, celebrity culture, Johnny Carter's infidelity, the political and social landscape of America and his new relationship with fellow singer, Dae Ho Park. The album documents Grimmie's life since 2018 in a purposely non-linear and "chaotic" way. "Good Day" opens the record and acts as the start point of a new morning, with Joshua hoping for a fresh start and a positive journey from then on. The following tracks represent the unwanted turmoil, going back and forth between positive and negative situations, flipping between different time stamps of his life, creating a chaotic and disjointed feel. "GOLDENHEART" then ends with a reprise of the chorus from "Good Day", alluding to Joshua going back to the start and attempting to start all over again in a bid to make it right this time.

Sonically, "GOLDENHEART" is rooted in Ska Punk and Pop Rock with a smattering of many other of Grimmie's favourite genres throughout. When Joshua made the decision to write as candidly as possible and produce everything, he knew that in order to make the project 100% authentic, he would have to take inspiration from his favourite artists and genres. He has cited an array of acts such as "No Doubt", "Operation Ivy", "Joan Jett", "TLC", "Alanis Morissette", "Metallica", "Ryan Ross Hernandez", "Atomic War Bride", "The Harlots", "Isabel", "James Urie", "Riot! In The Boulevard", "Chicago Nobody", "Hayden", "Stephanie Fierce" and "Vanity" all as either sonic, lyrical or imagery inspirations for the conception of this project.

Joshua wrote:
"While this record has quite a rough, punky, not-very-commercial sound overall, my inspirations run deep. If I wanted to truly express myself, I had to dabble and utilise whatever sounded right. I couldn't afford to stick to just one lane. That's not how expressing yourself works. Some days I'd go into the studio and be in full punk mode. I'd have 'Operation Ivy' blasting through the speakers and then go in and just fucking shred the mic. Other days, I'd be really intricate with songs and layer up real pop-leaning, Isabel-esque melodies over heavy electric guitar tracks I had put down the night before. I just did whatever felt right in my soul. On paper, when I'm referring to 'Atomic War Bride' and 'Vanity' in the same breath, it sounds bizarre but it all makes sense in the end. If you look at 'SURPRISE!' - that was a concoction of my love for metal and 90's R&B. Ludicrous to say out loud but it works. This is ME in an album. These are all the sonics I love. These are all my stories. It's all married in one big fucking angsty gumbo."

ARTWORK

The album artwork for "GOLDENHEART" was shot by Wesley Krane, a friend of Joshua's and a photographer most known for his work on fashion magazines. The artwork is in black and white and features a headshot of Joshua wearing a black leather jacket, tilting his head back and looking off to his left. The title of the album is printed on reflective gold foil, best showcased on the physical copies. Like his debut album, "PORCELAINHEART", the cover art features a thick white border, the same font for the title, Joshua's signature logo in the right corner and a Parental Advisory warning in the left one. Three alternative CD artworks were available to order from Grimmie's website for a limited time prior to official release. The back cover features Joshua wearing a striped tee, almost out of frame, as he is sat on a couch, looking off into the distance with a glittery golden heart painted upon his check. Again, the image is in black and white with the heart being printed in a shiny foil.

SINGLES

SURPRISE! was released as the album's lead single on May 24, 2020. In keeping with the title, the song was given a surprise release, with Joshua posting a purchasing link on his Twitter profile alongside the official artwork. Due to the song's experimental approach, sudden release and the candid lyrical content which documented Johnny Carter's infidelity, the first time Grimmie had ever publicly spoken on the issue, "SURPRISE!" quickly went viral. It became a huge talking point on social media and even made headlines across the world. The song was critically acclaim and dubbed as "the biggest UNO reverse card" in history, following an extended period of backlash within the media. "SURPRISE!" became Joshua's first #1 record, debuting at the top spot and going on to become one of 2020's biggest sellers. It is also the longest-charting song of 2020 thus far. Joshua's performance of the song at the FCA VII also garnered acclaim and controversy. During the performance Grimmie publicly called out pop star brothers Adam and Elyar Black, accusing them of sleeping with Johnny Carter while the star was dating him. The FCA performance currently has over 60 million views on YouTube.

Tragic Kingdom was released as the second single from the project on October 22, 2020. The track received instant success and acclaim, debuting atop of the Chart Heat Singles and giving Grimmie his second consecutive #1 single. "Tragic Kingdom" is a pop song with glam rock, synthpop and disco elements. Joshua stated that while "lyrically intense", the production of the song was the most "glossy" and "shimmery" on the album, a reason why he sent it out to radio as an official single. The song portrays a tongue-in-cheek tale of Joshua's 2019 public breakdowns while simultaneously sniping at the media and online trolls for embellishing and making light of his bipolar disorder.

Swallow was released as the album's third official single on November 30, 2020. It became the third consecutive #1 single from the album and Grimmie's third #1 overall.

JOSHUA'S COMMENTS

Joshua wrote:
"The road to GOLDENHEART has been a treacherous one. Even before piecing together a second album, I feel like I was always meant to go down this path. I was constantly working towards feeling so confident within myself to tell my stories so candidly and to experiment with sounds that aren't the norm in my field as a young, mainstream performer. With all the shit that I have endured over the years and all the questions hurled my way, this wasn't just the record that I HAD to make. It was also the record that I NEEDED to make. When you've hit rock bottom you either lay there and die or bounce back up. When people control your own narrative you either unravel or take back control. When people shatter your reputation, you either go into hiding or build it back up. If I came back with a sugary pop record, not address anything that had happened to me and just hoped that my hooks were good enough for people to overlook the last two years, I'd be such a fucking wuss and fraud. I was down and people wanted to keep me there. Trying to keep sweet and stay above the fray would only keep me under their thumb. This is me fighting back, taking ownership, telling my stories and overcoming the hurdles of all those unanswered questions and weighty topics. Admission is the first step to recovery. This is me laying it all out in order to move on to a new chapter in my life."

"In essence, "GOLDENHEART" is about being a really fucking awesome human. I want people who have been screwed over, think they aren't good enough, feel scared of this fucking ugly world around them and all those voices lost in the crowd, to listen to this album and realize that all is not lost. I believe good always triumphs in the end. As long as you believe you are a good person, standing in the right side of history and doing your best, I want you to rest easy tonight. I love you. I believe in you. Keep going. This album comes in waves just like that. There are really ballsy "fuck you!", "I'm in control", "life is great" tracks and a lot of heavier, "life is shit", "I can't do this anymore", "fuck this world" songs. It fluctuates but the idea is that I just keep on going, man. We have to. There are glimmers of hope throughout. We WILL get there in the end. Sadly, we just have to deal with shit along the way. It's why I end the record with a little reprise of "Good Day" - to show that you can always try again and tomorrow is a new day."

"Creating this record was a really cathartic process. It was like therapy. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I smiled, I cried again. Several times over. I felt like the first two decades of my life were leading up to this moment. It was like a brain dump of all my thoughts and feelings on paper. Not just that as this record is also a fusion of all of my favorite styles of music, my favorite artists and I also gave it my ALL in terms of my writing, production, instrument and vocal skills. I took all my talents, passions, emotions and visions and put it into this record. "GOLDENHEART" is me. I said what I had to say. Did what I had to do and sent it off into the world in a neat little package that sits at just under an hour in length."

"The media and trolls will say a lot of things about me. Maybe this will chance some minds regarding how I'm viewed but that's not why I made this record. I did it for my own sanity. I did it so that I can move on from a really fucked up time in my life and just LIVE without having to recoil, dodge awkward questions, rehash the same situations, watch what I say. The album is one big "fuck it, here's what you want to know, bye!". I hope that many people relate to it on a human level. My story is all kinds of bizarre but at its core, I'm just a flawed young person trying to make sense of everything and I know I'm not the only one. I want these songs to be anthems for people who are struggling. I want them to be a wakeup call for people in dangerous positions. I want them to be a declaration of love and power."

TRACKLIST

Good Day
Could've Had It All
SURPRISE!
America's Monster

unwanted visitor
Tragic Kingdom
Bluest Summer

when i grow up...
Starry Eyed Dreamer
Swallow
Flavors

lost in the shallows
Tiny Little Bubbles
On the Inside
ashley
Take Your Place
Some Love
good day, again (reprise)

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 05 March 2021 03:04:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 12 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 20/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 20/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 20/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 21/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 21/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 21/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 22/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2020 16:03:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Joshua Grimmie
Title: Good Day
Genre(s): Ska Punk, Reggae Fusion
Length: 4:01
Writer: J.Grimmie
Producer: Joshua Grimmie
From The Album: GOLDENHEART

Good Day is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released worldwide on November 7th 2020 as a promotional cut and instant gratification track for the pre-order of his forthcoming second studio album, GOLDENHEART. It also serves as the opening track for the album. On the morning of the 7th, Grimmie teased that a new track would be on the way but never clarified a specific date. Later that day, Joshua released the song in a link alongside a celebratory tweet regarding the incumbent President Trump losing the presidential election to Joe Biden. The track was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua Grimmie himself. The song was written in early 2020, becoming one of the last to be created for the record. "Good Day" continues with the same boisterous soundscapes and self-aware lyrics heard on the previous releases from GOLDENHEART. "Good Day" is a ska punk track with a reggae fusion crossover. While a somewhat "heavier" sound for Grimmie, the song contains a playful and campy vocal delivery alongside his trademark tongue-in-cheek lyrics.

Taking a more experimental and introspective approach with his sophomore record, Grimmie decided that no sounds or topics were off limits while in the studio. The vast experimentation can be heard instantly on album-opener "Good Day" almost instantaneously, opening with slow New Orleans funeral brass and jarringly jumping into punky guitar licks and drum beats a few seconds in. "Good Day" sees Joshua set out on his day with clarity and a new perspective, wanting to lead a more positive life and making an oath to no longer feed into the negativity thrown his way by his spectators. While the overall theme of the song has been clarified, the reason behind Grimmie's new lease of life is open to interpretation. On the surface, it appears as though it is just a moment of clarity on a brand new morning. However, certain lines within the song can suggest otherwise. "It's like I've finally found that clip for my roach" has caused many to believe the song is about getting high to escape negative vibes while, "'Til I grabbed that big spanner, gave me a good fix" may suggest post-masturbation "clarity".

Joshua wrote:
"I wanted to open the record with "Good Day" for a couple of reasons. It definitely has fun, album-opener vibes and it's like the flipside to where I left off the last album with "Breathe Fire". That track was based on one of my typical dead of night breakdowns; reflecting on how much I fucked up that day and in life in general. All that good stuff. "Good Day" is set on a brand new morning, wanting to leave that behind and start again, making this day count. GOLDENHEART is a real journey. It's fucking RAW at times. I don't hold anything back on the album. Sitting "Good Day" at the top of the record represents the positive mood I always try to start my days with and the following tracks are like all the unwanted chaos that inevitably ensues. Contrary to popular belief, I don't bask in misery and drama. It just happens to find its way to me."

Good Day

A hundred different rooms all in my little head
What lurks behind some doors fills me up with dread
Disembodied voices saying things I can't repeat
But today I wanna dance to another beat
Slippery terrain, uncharted territory
And if I should fall, I plan to land on my feet

Shield and sword, I'm a goddamn gladiator
Throw them on the floor; piss off all the spectators
Bloodthirsty roars; no longer rising to the agitator
Don't fuck up my zen, go and find another perpetrator

Set my sights high and marked them with an X
Manifesting outcomes with my whole damn chest
I'm over the shit of yesterday
Gonna let my favorite music play
It's a real good, a real good, a real good
It's a real good day

For a while things were getting really heavy
Tiptoeing everyday just feeling kinda leery
Whatever's in the grass was bound to encroach
Knew I had to take a different approach
Was slippery terrain, uncharted territory
It's like I've finally found that clip for my roach

Forgot all my manners and couldn't give a shit
Was going bananas and ready for the split
'Til I grabbed that big spanner, gave me a good fix
Back in business with a whole new box of tricks

It's a real good day

I know this is gonna be hard to swallow
But I also plan on smiling tomorrow
Man, I put on my funky socks today
There's nothing gonna get in my way
It's a real good day

Rest assured, my motives aren't ulterior
I'm just tired of the rough and tough exterior
Clogged up and swallowed too much of their bacteria
Threw out the rule book, to Hell with the criteria
Poking and prodding making me feel oh so inferior
Dude, I'm just looking for something a little bit cheerier

It's a real good day

It's a real good day

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 05 December 2020 11:53:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 20/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 20/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 20/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 21/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 21/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 22/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2020 07:45:12(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Could've Had It All
Genre(s): Ska Punk, Hip Hop, New Wave
Length: 3:31

Could've Had It All is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It serves as the second track on his second studio album, GOLDENHEART. The track was written, produced and arranged entirely by Joshua in his New Jersey home. It was one of the last songs to be written for inclusion on the album, being conceptualised on the same weekend he wrote "Good Day", the album opener. "Could've Had It All" is primarily a Ska Punk song with a Hip Hop infusion as well as elements from New Wave and Flamenco music being incorporated. The song is noted for its split and "jarring" sonic structure, with Joshua delivering "relaxed", "seductive" and "smouldering" vocals over a "cool" hip-hop beat in the verses before erupting into a chorus of thrashing electric guitars and "punchy" vocals.

After successfully penning "SURPRISE!" and receiving positive feedback from those in his camp, Joshua decided that he needed to create another song for the project that also featured an experimental and risky crossover between his love for punk music and R&B. The uptempo chorus and guitar chords were first to be completed before Joshua revisited the verses, for which he would produce a slick, laidback Hip Hop inspired beat and deliver a nonchalant, almost lightly rapped vocal. "Could've Had It All" documents the end of a relationship due to his partner's infidelity. The song has a sarcastic tone, with Joshua believing that they could've made things work had his partner not been such a horrible person. In the bridge of the song, Joshua hints that his partner was trying to deflect and place blame upon Grimmie himself.

Joshua wrote:
"I put "Could've Had It All" and "SURPRISE!" next to one another in the track list not just because they are both wacky R&B and punk crossovers but they are both about that fucking awful situation I found myself in last year. "SURPRISE!" was like the big "fuck you!" anthem whereas this track is more like shaking my head in absolute disgust. When I was writing the song, I wanted to make it clear that my ex totally set himself up for his own fall. He was doing all this shit behind my back and smiling to my face. After we broke up and he started a total hate train against me, I was like "Wait a minute! YOU were the one who did all of this shit. Why are you the one that's mad? If you still wanted to be with me or didn't want your dirty laundry aired, you shouldn't have fucked me over. Simple." There are a lot of songs out there about "what if" and falling in love with someone at the wrong time. Forbidden lovers and all that. I decided to spin in on its head and make it twisted as I like to do. Like, we COULD have been amazing but it's not because of geographical distance, busy schedules, fear of taking that leap. No. We COULD have had it all if you just weren't a lying, cheating, gaslighting piece of shit. What can you do, eh?"

Could've Had It All

No, you're not really that big
I just said that so you'd shut up
Overlooked all of the small things
Underestimated how much little pricks hurt
You'd climb the snake to get to the ladder
The only time you loved being on top
Tread too far and got a bite from the adder
I ain't sucking that, you can drop

My neck was coated in little candied kisses
While my eyes were being covered with wool
A counterfeit product that I found so addictive
When I cut it, a clearer perspective shone through

Maybe if you just shut up
We could've saved the both of us
Yeah, maybe if you buckled up
Could've knuckled down and made it work
It's a recurring theme, had to hit a wall
Sometimes I think we could've had it all
One too many slips, couldn't survive the fall

An abundance of lies to help me sleep
You rest easy with a satisfied smile
Only thing between us should be the sheets
But it hasn't been that way for a while
Feeling like you just love to make me anxious
Cachinnating while I shake and crumble
Unlucky for you, I'm collecting all the answers
Cat's out the bag that you went and fumbled

Wanted to eat it all and still keep your cake
But it spoils and then starts to wither
Fast with your mouth, quick to ingurgitate
When they kiss you, hope they taste how I'm bitter

Maybe if you had the last word
You would've been more than satisfied
Was my love a little too tough?
Did I force you to take a smoother ride?
Push your face into a tray of delights?
Expand your insatiable appetite?
Yeah, right
Yeah, right
Yeah, right

Kinda starting to think you should shut the hell up

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

2001clay on 21/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 21/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 21/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 21/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 21/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 22/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 22/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2020 09:21:47(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: SURPRISE!
Genre(s): Pop, R&B, Rock
Length: 3:21

SURPRISE! is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released worldwide on May 24th 2020 with no prior warning or promotion. It serves as the lead single from his upcoming sophomore album, "GOLDENHEART", and is the third track on the record. The track was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua Grimmie himself, a first for the singer. The track was initially created in 2019 with Grimmie completing it himself in self-isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic and after a break from work following a multitude of personal traumas. "SURPRISE!" is an experimental pop track, marrying a multitude of genres from late 90's R&B, metal and electropop. It opens up with distorted, digitally altered vocals and dramatic strings before the heavy and unexpected thrashing of an electric guitar, which is in turn followed up almost instantaneously again by a switch in style - this time, an acoustic guitar beat not dissimilar to late 90's/early 00's pop and R&B hits. The song is seen as a response to his ex-lover, Johnny Carter, who released an album full of songs documenting their split earlier this year. In the track it is revealed that Johnny cheated, still tries to contact Grimmie and that Joshua is in a new relationship.

"SURPRISE!" is Joshua's first release in almost three years, following the Eilidh assisted "Ticking On It". In 2017, Grimmie experienced a wave of success, following a legal battle with a former record label in 2016. His debut album "PORCELAINHEART" received rave reviews, topped the charts and is still selling strongly three years on. The album also produced four top 10 hits and two successful tours in support of it. However, personal turmoil meant that Joshua had to take a break from the music scene. Multiple incarnations of his second album have been scrapped in the interim as Joshua either "wasn't feeling it" or the muses and topics of certain songs were no longer relevant to him. "SURPRISE!" was the turning point for Joshua, turning the original concept of the album from a heartbreak record into a defiant, self-love project.

Joshua Grimmie wrote:
"With "SURPRISE!" I was in a real "fuck you!" moment. I'd often flip back and forth between self pity and anger during the process of the second album but the songs I created were either too soppy or too aggressive. "SURPRISE!" was the first tangible idea I had in a long time. The title alone is great for a comeback single and as I worked on it over the months, that became the goal - to have this as the lead single. The lyrics, the vibe, the attitude...it just summed up everything I wanted to get off by chest and also reflected the sonic direction I was taking with this new record. I'm known for playing guitar. I'm never without it on stage but I feel like the first album didn't lend itself to live instrumentation as much as I would've liked. For this record, I want to marry live, raw and serious live instrumentation with mainstream-ish pop music. I like to call it this new sound "Anger Management Pop". On "SURPRISE!" there is this really breezy guitar and pop melody akin to old She'kspere, Darkchild productions. Very TLC, DC, early Britney type stuff...then there's this fucking thrashing of a heavy metal guitar thrown in. It's intricately chaotic. It reflects the vibe of the song. I'm breezy and above all that shit...but then there's the very "matter of fact" jibes coming in every so often to knock you around a little."

SURPRISE!

Spilled my last drop into the ocean
Dried my eyes, calmed from the commotion
Tired of giving negativity my devotion
You fucked with my trust so leave my emotions
What did I ever see in you?

I had to clear and rewire my head
Stuck on loop with all the words that you said
Tainted every crevice, needed a reset
Couldn't even rest up with what you brought to our bed
Don't act like you never knew

Do you really wanna know?
Well, if you really wanna know,
I just fucking hate you!
Does that cut right through to the bone?
Does that stick in your throat?
I'm not losing any sleep over you
You thought I'd run and jump,
Well...surprise!

Don't worry, I'm not a walking disaster
These tears are just from dying with laughter
Climbing the snakes and moving the ladders
Rules to you, they just never seemed to matter
Guess it was just one big joke

Always thought that I had a thick skin
But I found it so hard to take it on the chin
I know they say that "he who without sin..."
But I really hope you get a taste of your own medicine
Praying that it burns in your throat

I just fucking hate you!
Well...surprise!

Wanna know exactly where to go?
It's dark out and getting frosty
And no, I'm no longer sleeping alone
Not holding onto hope and my phone
Clinging onto his gorgeous body
Speaking of, he's coming around tonight
Ain't that a surprise!

Who the fuck do you think you are?
Did you want me to fall apart?
Did you just want to dim my star?
But you can't break this golden heart
Oh, I bet that was a surprise!

Never complained when I came out on top
So why do you now want me to stop?

I just fucking hate you!
Well...surprise!

Wanna know exactly where to go?
It's dark out and getting frosty
And no, I'm no longer sleeping alone
Not holding onto hope and my phone
Clinging onto his gorgeous body
Speaking of, he's coming around tonight
Ain't that a surprise!

Who the fuck do you think you are?
Did you want me to fall apart?
Did you just want to dim my star?
But you can't break this golden heart
Oh, I bet that was a surprise!

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

2001clay on 21/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 21/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 21/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 21/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 22/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 22/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 26/11/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2020 23:47:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: America's Monster
Genre(s): Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Avant Pop
Length: 3:23

America's Monster is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the fourth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The track was written and recorded in his New Jersey home on Christmas Eve 2019, being completed within the 24 hour period. Joshua claims the song was entirely off the cuff and barely altered from his initial flow of words. It is a heavy metal track, a first for the singer. The song is noted for its "heavy", "intense", "dark" and "manic" soundscape as well as Grimmie's metal scream towards the end, showcasing his wide vocal range and power. Joshua described the song as the "most aggressive" piece on the album. "America's Monster" was written in response to Donald Trump and The Republican Party's incessant smear campaign against the singer ever since he publicly criticised them in 2016.

Ever since publicly lambasting and opposing Donald Trump and his party in 2016, Grimmie has received an overwhelming amount of backlash and criticism within the media and in online communities. The singer believes he was specifically targeted by the 45th President of the United States and thrown into "The Trump Woodchipper" alongside fellow public figures Rosie O'Donnell and Kathy Griffin. Grimmie believes that he was made to be a "villainous figure" with his words often twisted in an attempt to turn not only the American people against him, but fellow artists. "America's Monster" sees Joshua address the false narrative that was written for him, claiming that Trump and his supporters were projecting their own insecurities onto him and also using the singer as a scapegoat in the media to deter unwanted attention from them. The chorus highlights how they would gaslight him, accusing the singer of being a "monster" whenever he retaliated to any backlash he received.

Joshua Grimmie wrote:
"With this album, the entire theme was "balls to the wall". Even though there is a through line of candid lyrics, live instruments and punchy vocals, when it comes to genre and typical "rules", all bets were off. I just recorded whatever felt right in my soul. If a song felt like it was ska, it was ska. If a song felt like it was metal, it was fucking metal. For years, I was fucking HOUNDED by them and then, by extension, a lot of my own peers who, even though are anti-Trump, got caught up in the narrative that I was a troublemaker and that they shouldn't align themselves with me. I couldn't write about being thrown into Trump's woodchipper, becoming a punching bag for his media goons and being made out to be a bad guy without fucking yell at the top of my lungs. That heavy metal, total screamo moment towards the end really came from stuff suppressed in my core. Years of anger, confusion, frustration and being gaslighted all boiled to the surface when I got behind the mic that day. This song really is an expressive piece. I was letting it all out and going ham. In that moment, I WAS the monster people were making me out to be. In fact, I was even bigger, more powerful and ferocious than they could ever imagine. I hope people listen to this song and fucking scream at the top of their lungs with me, airing it all out and lifting that weight. It beats breaking something or catching an assault charge. I'm familiar with both. In the end, it's best to just rock out and kill them with words."

America's Monster

I'm not even sorry for what I've said
Fuck your free pass out of this twisted web
Even though it's your words attracting flies
Would rather lay here than a bed of lies
I ask questions and I'm suddenly difficult
Outcasted with the force of a catapult

I'm not scared, that makes me your biggest nightmare
Either truth or dare, better start saying your prayers
I burst your bubble, declined the poisoned apple
Guess I'm trouble and will be made an example

You made me the monster, America's monster
Twist my words in any way you can muster
And when you go and jab me there
Tell me why you start running scared?
Don't you know what you're gonna get?
Poke the bear like a lamb yearning for the slaughter

And now I'm the monster, America's monster
You botched me up, no wonder I need a doctor
Yeah, and when I try to ignore
You only want to hear me roar
Each time, you're wanting more
Snap back at the taunts and now I'm the monster

Can paint me as Hyde but you'll never be Jekyll
Slow my pace but you won't win the medal
Casting stones but it's all just projection
This cage is mine but for your protection
Hurl mental jokes because you're short on ideas
But it's me in your head, playing on those fears

Swimming up river against your brutal flow
Calling me a monstrosity when you're what lurks below
Dictate where I'm going, don't know where I'm coming from
You're tiring out, can't stay afloat for long

You made me the monster, America's monster
Twist my words in any way you can muster
And when you go and jab me there
Tell me why you start running scared?
Don't you know what you're gonna get?
Poke the bear like a lamb yearning for the slaughter

And now I'm the monster, America's monster
You botched me up, no wonder I need a doctor
Yeah, and when I try to ignore
You only want to hear me roar
Each time, you're wanting more
Snap back at the taunts and now I'm the monster

Ever thought about looking in the mirror?
Ever thought twice before pulling the trigger?
Ever thought about the bigger picture?
Didn't think so, didn't think so
Ever thought about not taking a shortcut?
Ever thought about shutting the fuck up?
Ever thought about taping that mouth shut?
Didn't think so, didn't think so

FUCK! YOU JUST MAKE SO...
YOU MAKE ME WANNA GO....
YOU MAKE ME WANNA
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HERE COMES THE MONSTER!
RUN FOR FUCKING COVER!
HERE COMES THE MONSTER!
RUN FOR FUCKING COVER!
HERE COMES THE MONSTER!

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 28 November 2020 23:34:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

erich hess on 24/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 25/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 25/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 26/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 28/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2020 01:28:06(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: unwanted visitor
Genre(s): Spoken Word
Length: 1:05

Unwanted Visitor (stylised in all lowercase letters) is a spoken-word piece recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It serves as an interlude and the fifth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". The piece was written entirely by Grimmie. While akin to several forms of poetry, Joshua prefers to avoid that phrase and dubs the interludes on the album as "spoken-word pieces" due to them being off the cuff, conscious stream of thoughts. While in the recording booth, Joshua just let his thoughts and words flow. "Unwanted Visitor" addresses Joshua's battle with bipolar disorder, which he was diagnosed with in 2018. He refers to his episodes as this "unwanted visitor" who either takes control over Joshua's thoughts and actions or lingers in the background, taunting him and threatening to erupt at any given moment. While Joshua speaks, a faint sound of someone knocking on a door constantly loops, growing more intense as time passes before stopping abruptly as he says the final line.

Joshua wrote:
"When I decided to do spoken-word interludes on the record, it was because I tried to write a song about my bipolar but couldn't quite get it down. No rhyming couplets, melodies, riffs, genre really captured what I wanted to say. It was almost like the subject was too big, too weighty to just put into a regular song and also do it justice. I just decided to step into the booth and talk. I didn't care how long or short it was. Didn't care if anything rhymed. I just wanted to get it off my chest and paint an in the moment picture with the words that organically fell off my tongue. It was a one-take situation like the other interludes. All I did when revisiting it was add in the knocking sound effects. Bipolar is...it doesn't define me but it's part of me whether I like it or not. I have to acknowledge it. It's something I struggle with. It's something that impacts myself and loved ones. It's something that's often brought up in questions and conversations. I wanted to show people that it's more than just being really manic or really sad. Sometimes I find it worse when I sense it lingering in the back of my mind. I'd rather have a full manic episode than sit and stew in what may be about to happen. I also wanted people to know that as incessant and dominating as it can be, I'm not letting it define me or steal the show. I am far more powerful and important than this unwanted visitor will ever be."

unwanted visitor

I apologize for this unwanted visitor
He really is no friend of mine
Incessant, yet I never know what he wants
Persistent, but I never get his point

He'll force me to dance
Pulling me to centre stage
A sea of eyes all follow and gaze
When I twirl, I sometimes make others dizzy
But I can't offer a supportive hand
As mine are entwined
He takes the lead like a possessive lover

Sometimes I feel every beat
My feet ache as I constantly clamber
Vibrations rippling to my very core
My heart yearning to burst through my ribs
My ribs searching for freedom beyond my itching skin
Burning, writhing
Ablaze from turning in this torturous tango

Some days he plays a secret chord
A magical wave that drains me blue
Barely aware that my tears have run dry
Following his motions a dead weight
A spectacle but with an utterly vacant meaning
My ghost circles with him
Wading through a translucent waltz

He is worst at his most indecisive, I admit
Lounging on the grass but with teeth still baring
Fearing mania, fearing depression
His next move is my biggest obsession

One day, I'd like to leave him on the other side of the door
Stomp him out along my muddy boots
Step inside and feel safe in the warmth
I can always dream for I am a free thinker
And he'll never change that, this unwanted visitor

Edited by user 04 December 2020 09:45:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

erich hess on 25/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 25/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 25/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 26/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 28/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2020 02:02:00(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Tragic Kingdom
Genre(s): Pop Rock, Glam Rock, Disco, Synth Pop
Length: 3:43

Tragic Kingdom is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released worldwide on October 22nd 2020 with no warning aside from Grimmie revealing the artwork and the elusive release date of "October" the month prior. It serves as the second single from his upcoming sophomore album, "GOLDENHEART", and the sixth track overall. The track was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua Grimmie himself just like previous single "SURPRISE!". The track was written in August 2019, following a string of emotional breakdowns for Grimmie. Ignorant and ill-informed comments and articles regarding his mental health and private life inspired Joshua to write the provocative, tongue-in-cheek track. "Tragic Kingdom", like the preceding single, merges a variety of genres such as; pop rock, glam rock, disco and synth pop. The "1980's inspired" soundscape is filled with "dreamy" and "glossy" synth lines which are juxtaposed with with Joshua's "raw", "gritty" and "rock star" vocals.

The second single from his forthcoming album, "Tragic Kingdom" continues the more experimental, rock infused production and self aware lyrical themes from the leading single, "SURPRISE!". Being diagnosed with bipolar in 2017, an extremely vocal activist and having a string of public relationships and breakups with other celebrities, Joshua has often found himself at the centre of media storms for years. "Tragic Kingdom" is seen as a "kooky", "self deprecating" response to the false narratives and images that people try to portray of him within the media. In the track Joshua embellishes all of his "flaws" and tries to sugar coat them all, in order to woo a potential next "victim" - a nod to his slew of high profile relationships. The track purposely avoids pronouns as Grimmie made a conscious decision to make his music as inclusive as possible. The opening line of "My mainframe fucks with your binary" has caused many to believe that Joshua is non-binary, though Grimmie has not publicly confirmed this.

Joshua wrote:
"For me, this era is all about ownership; controlling my own narrative and standing in my truth. People write shit, make assumptions about me, send hateful things my way on an hourly basis. For the most part, it's either based on ignorance or false information. Fake news, if you will. Going into a brand new album cycle, a new chapter, I wanted the leading singles to really tackle that stuff head on; cut them off at the source, own my situations and leave all the trolls with blue balls because I've already brought it up on a large scale. "Tragic Kingdom" is me playing the caricature that social media and all these gossip columns have painted me out to be. Yeah, I have bad breakdowns. Yeah, I can be a lot to handle. Yeah, I'm on a lot of medication. Yeah, I'm complicated. Your point? That shit doesn't define me. You wanna see the clown trip up? You wanna see the seal clap? OK, here it is. Tenfold! I hope you're happy. I hope it scratched that itch. I'm gonna go do something productive while you get vexed over an out of context picture of me looking sad in 2018. People seem to get off on me being "crazy" or whatever. So...here it is!"

Tragic Kingdom

My mainframe fucks with your binary
I'm a dose of salts topped with a cherry
Do you wanna fly away with the fairies?
I could make you see them if you just let me

I'm an iron fist inside a velvet glove
Don't you wanna fall head over heels in love?
I could take a pill if I seem too tough
I could throw them out if you like it rough

The water is clear and shark infested
Drop me your pin if you're interested

Hello, are you feeling all alone?
I could bring the party and send in the clowns
And if it's too much, I can turn it around
Fall off that beanstalk and smack on the ground
Pretty eyes, please tell me why you frown
Aren't you having fun in the tragic kingdom?
It's falling down, down, down
Oh what a time in the tragic kingdom

Here's a confession, I get slippery when wet
But I'm still left high and dry with every sunset
And if I'm being a little too hot to handle,
Press the button, I got like a million channels

All the screws are loose on my shelf
Oh, doesn't this ad just write itself?

A little bit too upfront
A little bit back to front
Expected to give a fuck
Demanded to shut right up
A barbed wired heart to get to
A beauty once you break through
So much venom in what they wrote
But use my name like it's an antidote
I come knocking and make them scared
I lay low and they poke the bear
Hope I don't seem too complex
I'm still waiting on your text...

It's falling down
It's falling down

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

erich hess on 25/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 25/11/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 25/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 25/11/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 25/11/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 25/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 26/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 28/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2020 23:34:07(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Bluest Summer
Genre(s): Glam Rock, New Wave
Length: 3:12

Bluest Summer is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the seventh track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The track was written and recorded in January 2020, birthed from an old concept taken from a song Grimmie had recorded a year prior. "Bluest Summer" is classed as a New Wave and Glam Rock song, characterised by its thrashing electric guitars, programmed synths and punchy vocal delivery. While working on the song, Joshua was inspired by "campy" records from the 1970's and 1980's that evoked "spooky" and "Halloween party" feelings such as Michael Jackson's "Thriller". "Bluest Summer" was written about the summer of 2018 where Joshua developed an issue with substance abuse on account of his bipolar diagnosis and the ever-growing backlash against him in the mainstream media.

A song titled "Bluest Summer" was written by Joshua in early 2019. The track was still depicting the summer of 2018, however, it focused more on the relationship aspect. After breaking up with Johnny Carter, Joshua binned the song. Liking the title and still wanting to write about that time in his life, however, Joshua made a note to revisit the idea. In January 2020, in the midst of creating the "GOLDENHEART" record, Joshua was looking through his book of lyric ideas and stumbled upon the "Bluest Summer" concept once again. In the studio, Grimmie started to brainstorm ideas while playing random chords on his guitar. The track was created over three days and was far removed from the original song that had the title. On "Bluest Summer", Joshua recalls the vicious cycle of his drug abuse - how it'd lift his spirits and then make him feel even lower once crashing. While Joshua hasn't disclosed the substances he used to take, a line in the second verse regarding a 'tourniquet' may suggest it was something via syringe.

Joshua wrote:
"Obviously, this entire album is deeply personal but "Bluest Summer" is the first time we get real fucking RAW. Previous tracks have either been fuelled by anger or coated in sarcasm but on this track, I open up a whole lot more about a very personal subject. In 2018, when the Joshua hate train was at full capacity and I was diagnosed with bipolar, I started abusing drugs. I had dabbled before with stuff like weed but this wasn't just getting high to chill for a bit anymore. I was taking all sorts to escape myself, escape the world and it was just a vicious cycle. I'd get high, crash, feel worse, get high again. I shut off everyone. My then-boyfriend, my mum, dad, sister, best friends - they couldn't help. As dark as that time and the lyrics are, I didn't want this to sound like a woe is me, slushy, pain-riddled song. The words are very much to-the-point and brutal but I wanted the production to give it a different spin. When I was arranging the track, I was feeling like it should sound like I'm narrating a story. A cautionary tale. I wanted to make it feel as if I'm not only talking about a mental state but an actual physical place that I don't want anyone to dare visit. I was then thinking about MJ's "Thriller", The Rocky Horror Picture Show, stuff that was very campy, a little kooky and spooky. I wanted the song to have a little bit of a kitsch 70s/80s Halloween party vibe but with a little edge that still reflected the brutality of the situation at hand. Talking about severe drug abuse, I could only take the quirkiness so far. I decided to go full glam rock and new wave on this one. I put this and "Tragic Kingdom" next to one another because they are both coated in fun, upbeat production but there's gonna be that moment when the lyrics finally resonate with your mind and your like...DAMN!"

Bluest Summer

Patience wasn't working, too uncomfortably numb
Body glistening like diamonds in the sun
But I heard that diamonds are forever
Might fuck around and turn up the pressure

Every single day, I'd tighten the tourniquet
Glimpse of happiness, was sure gonna chase it
In the haze I'd never felt more beautiful
Melt away in my personal little crucible

Handing over the power to something else
'Cause I don't want to deal with it by myself

I gave everything just to feel something
Was promised it all and left with nothing
Man, it stung like a real motherfucker
Still haunted by memories of the bluest summer
Never going back there, what a hell of a trip

Spent so long down on the reddest knees
Succumbed to how it was going to fuck me
Planned out routes to take me out of the rain
But could never escape the map of my brain

And for a minute, I was on a pedestal
Until my system filtered out the chemicals
Was in a rush with my glass half empty
On a mission to not make it past twenty

Handing over the power to something else
'Cause I don't want to deal with it by myself

Still all bruised from its vice-like grip
Peachy skin showing up in all different hues
A burning summer that went and left me blue
Managed to escape through the eye of the needle
I don't think I would ever survive in the sequel

Never going back there

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 29 November 2020 01:21:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 10 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 29/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 29/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 29/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 29/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 29/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 29/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2020 01:20:36(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: when i grow up...
Length: 0:29
Writer: J.Grimmie, Various

When I Grow Up... (stylised in all lowercase letters) is a spoken-word piece American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It features numerous children stating their aspirations for the future, with Grimmie delivering the opening and final lines. "when i grow up..." is the eighth track on "GOLDENHEART" and serves as an interlude as well as a segue into the following track, "Starry Eyed Dreamer". Throughout the track, noise interference from a microphone can often be heard, creating the illusion that the speaking children or on a stage of some sort, taking turns to speak to the audience via a microphone. For the recording, Joshua asked various children who are either within his family or the offspring of some of his close friends what they want for themselves when they grow up. The responses from the children were not scripted by Joshua and were genuine answers.

Joshua wrote:
"There's nothing more innocent, naïve and honest than a child. They're just so pure, seeing the good in everything and everything. Little people filled with such love and ambition, not scathed or burned by the big bad world. Putting their voices before the following two tracks which deal with the fuckery of our governments and society will hopefully be a wake-up call to many. The children are out future. This next generation is going to grow up in the most frightening of times if we don't push for changes now. Let these little dreamers actually get their wishes. I don't have any children of my own but I'm a big cousin to a few and a lot of my close friends have kids. I even have Shay Blue, Dustyn and Dallas' kid on there. He's a little firecracker. I think I have quite a natural, protective, paternal instinct. It fascinates me and fills me with so much joy talking to a child. They say some of the most unintentionally profound and sweetest things. It was a joy piecing this little interlude together."

when i grow up...

When I grow up, I want to be happy

When I grow up, I want to be a doctor.
When I grow up, I want to be a singer like Isabel.
I want to be a spaceman when I grow up.
When I grow up, I want to be a teacher.
When I grow up, I want to be a vet.
When I grow up, I want to drive a fast car.
I want to live in a big house when I grow up.
When I grow up, I want to be a mommy

When I grow up, I'll let you know
UserPostedImage

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 29/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 29/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 29/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 29/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 29/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 29/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#10 Posted : 01 December 2020 04:41:55(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Starry Eyed Dreamer
Genre(s): Ska, Punk
Length:3:30

Starry Eyed Dreamer is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the ninth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The track was written and recorded in February 2020, with Joshua admittedly intoxicated during his first vocal take, which he decided to keep on the final version. "Starry Eyed Dreamer" is a ska punk song, with bright and bouncing guitar chords and a fast-paced, rapped vocal delivery from Joshua within the verses. The song also diverts from standard pop song formulae; omitting a pre-chorus and a bridge, as well as switching some lines in the chorus during its third repetition. The upbeat, breezy melody and arrangement are juxtaposed by far darker lyrics. "Starry Eyed Dreamer" speaks out against war, the government glorifying the military, as well as police brutality.

The song was written as a result of one of Joshua's many Twitter feuds with Republican party supporters. A veteran went public with his story online; detailing his trauma, his regrets and why he does not recommend serving in the military to anyone. He then received a lot of backlash from mostly right wing politicians and supporters, to which Grimmie retaliated in support of the vet. Angered by the glorification of war and violence, Joshua penned a song which lambasted such things and those who encourage it. Whilst writing and arranging the song on his guitar, Grimmie began to indulge in a few bottles of beer out of frustration. By the time he got around to recording the first cut of his vocals, Joshua was slightly intoxicated. He attempted to re-record the vocals several times over since that day but admittedly wasn't satisfied. Grimmie believed that the first performance was the most authentic and confident take that he had. He also went on to just that his loose lips made the rapping easier, as he often stumbled over his words in the sober attempts.

Joshua wrote:
"OK so I had a few beers when I was on the mic but it still stands! Basically, fuck the police, fuck the military and fuck the government for glorifying war. There's no glory or honor in it. We as a nation as so warped that we put so many of our youngest and brightest on the front line, fighting wars and dying all because of the egos of wealthy, fat, elderly men. Taking bullets, permanently disabling themselves, scarring their fragile minds while those who seemingly want the war hide behind reinforced walls and bulletproof glass, twiddling their thumbs. It's a game of power and greed. They feed lies to us, masking it as some sort of loyalty, the highest form of patriotism. They make it a "we" problem and then use the people as pawns. I'm tired of the propaganda. I'm tired of so many wonderful humans dying and being traumatised for someone else's dick swinging contest and a piece of fucking fabric. From a young age, we're conditioned to stand up and recite our anthem like some sort of cult. Land of the free? With all the grooming done from such a young age, leading us to believe that; dying for your country makes you a true American, that carrying a gun and going to war makes you a real man?? We're not fucking free! I want the next generation of starry eyed dreamers to truly be free and not fall under the years of conditioning. It's a long shot and will probably take a few generations to filter out but I hope that one day, we will get there. We won't be bending over backwards for small dicked men with points to prove."

Starry Eyed Dreamer

Give it up for the starry eyed dreamer
Came into this world a daydream believer
Anything's possible when they spoon-feed ya
Hope you make it when the time comes nearer
Way too short to get on this ride
Eager to grow and reach the front of the line
Never be in a rush to fly through time
I sure wish that I could reclaim mine
Toothless smiles will fade when it gets real
No hearty giggles out there on a battlefield
Won't want to play soldiers once the area's sealed
Unlike grazed knees, those mental scars won't heal
You'll find yourself in a game you didn't even start
Slipped into a role, unqualified for the part
Bleeding for those who don't have a heart
They're your world but they can't tell you apart

What a star-spangled miracle you are
Chase our dream and I'm sure you'll go far
We surely love you, now say it right back
When I give the command, go ahead and attack
My little child made of perfect clay
I love to mold you in my own twisted way

Southern hospitality and California dreams
Are the fortress where you play Kings and Queens
Yet just a pawn in a big old war machine
What protects and serves aren't as they seem
All bleed red, they only care for the white and blue
They're the good guys, it can't be true!
Do you know they cage up kids like a zoo?
It's just another story until it happens to you
While we savage the bird and shovel down yams
They're finding the legs to bring us to arms
Turkeys aren't free even outside of the farm
Will you be headless once they sound the alarm?
They'll bring tears to your mother's eyes
As they grin and destroy innocent lives
And want to know what I really despise?
We only have a knife within this gun fight

We surely love you, now say it right back
When I give the command, go ahead and attack

But when I say you will die, you will die
Don't worry, many will be at your side

Starry eyed dreamer, it's best to stay asleep
Don't become them, just count the sheep
Head in the clouds, no shackles at your feet
Blissful ignorance, what a damn treat

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 01/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 01/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 01/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 01/12/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 01 December 2020 21:36:47(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Swallow
Genre(s): Dance Punk, Pop Rock, Electro Funk
Length: 4:02

Swallow is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released on November 30, 2020, with Grimmie announcing its release and official artwork the day prior. It serves as the third official single from his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART", and the tenth track on the record overall. It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. Grimmie penned the track in February 2020, inspired by his creation of "Starry Eyed Dreamer" that same week. Up until that point, Joshua had solely written about personal circumstances and strayed away from worldly matters. "Swallow" is a dance punk song with elements of electro funk and pop rock infused within its layered production. It is noted for Joshua's "loose" and "sultry" vocals against a backdrop of "aggressive" electric guitars and power chords, as well as having one of the most contemporary beats on the album. "Swallow" has been jokingly dubbed by Grimmie as "electro pop but Marxist", taking a swipe at big companies and the capitalist ways of America in the lyrics.

Joshua initially intended for "GOLDENHEART" to contain songs purely reflecting his personal life over the last two years. However, after drunkenly creating the album track "Starry Eyed Dreamer", Joshua was inspired to branch out. He later stated that it was foolish to pigeonhole himself and that his fans would be disappointed if he didn't speak out on world issues. "Swallow" criticises big companies, slave labour and the consumerist mindset of the world. While admittedly one of the easy to write on account of him "just venting", Joshua stated that "Swallow" was the hardest song to produce on account of its heavy sound and multiple layers and elements. It features electric guitars, 80's inspired keyboard synths, contemporary funk/R&B drum beats and many "buzzing" and "whirring" generated effects, all culminating in a busy soundscape that is equally playful as it is chaotic. The packed production is said to reflect the fast pace of the consumer driven world.

Joshua wrote:
"I initially backed away from such broad matters for two reasons. One, I was self indulgent and only wanted to sing about me and two, my Twitter feed is already a dumpster fire of my opinions. It wasn't until I snapped out of that cloistered mindset when I "accidentally" created "Starry Eyed Dreamer" that I thought, "FUCK! I NEED to tackle this shit". It's part of who I am and so is my music. I can't keep it separate. So after penning an anti-war song, I went to another pet peeve of mine - capitalism. Man, fuck those big companies working people until their fingers are bloody stubs, paying them pennies and simultaneously killing the planet. Fuck Amazon, fuck those fast fashion brands and a major side-eye to those who don't care about it. With "Swallow" being about such a hectic, fast-paced, snappy lifestyle, the production obviously had to reflect that. Like with the rest of the album, I poured a WHOLE lot of influences in there to create a really dense, immersive track. I wanted that gradual, threatening build with something akin to "Billie Jean", chords like a big "Queen" anthem, a big punchy pop chorus that soars and then all these glitchy, weird fixings like a "Daft Punk" or "Buzz & Hype" track. It's the longest I've worked on the production of a song. It sounds so chaotic but it's also very intricate. It's such a rush. It's electro pop but Marxist. Ironically, you can buy it now!"

Swallow

Making you feel like less so you want more
Out of breath raising the flag up the pole
A good soul grinds on their nine to five
Making a nickel to the big cat's dime
Tiny little bows just to make you swoon
Can only eat the cake with a silver spoon

Never reaching the heights that you seek
No paddle and you're halfway up shit creek
No helping hand from those at the banks
This the thanks? This the thanks? This the thanks?

It's a hard and bitter pill to swallow
And you better hope that you don't choke
You'll have to beg and steal and borrow
Repaying the guy who threw the rope
I'd call it tasteless but they market our senses
Bottle them up with major expenses
Supposed to renounce every sin and vice
But 50% off is gonna make us think twice

Promises all laid out on a tempting plate
But not before you say their scripted grace
The little man next door drives all night
Bags under the eyes to give you the best price
Cutting quick deals as the planet withers
At least that old chestnut will be warm this winter

Authentic notes being spent on fakes
Picasso and Warhol are spinning in their graves
When we go, can't take what we purchase
Was it worth it? Was it worth it? Was it worth it?

And you don't have to be an outcast child
To free your mind and let your heart run wild
Declare independence, raise your own flag
Fuck their two cents, make your own stamp

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

erich hess on 01/12/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/12/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 02/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#12 Posted : 01 December 2020 23:04:54(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Flavors
Genre(s): Reggae Fusion, Ska
Length: 5:02

Flavors is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the eleventh track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. Grimmie penned the track in May 2020, becoming the very last song created for the project. The song was written as an ode to his boyfriend, fellow recording artist, Dae Ho Park. "Flavors" is a departure from the rockier sounds heard throughout "GOLDENHEART" but still maintains many sonic elements heard throughout the record. It is a Reggae Fusion song, featuring a simple chord progression and usage of steel drums alongside "nonchalant" vocals from Joshua, creating a very "breezy" soundscape. "Flavors" recalls the initial fear from Park and Grimmie over becoming romantically involved, before expressing how natural it actually all feels now that they are together. With the song's title and certain lines within the track, "Flavors" can also be seen as a double entendre for oral sex. The lyrics also refer to previous songs in the tracklist; "Bluest Summer" and "Tragic Kingdom".

After a cathartic album creation process and the death of his sister, Joshua took several months away from the project, grieving his loss and also feeling creatively blocked. Throughout his hardships, Joshua's boyfriend, Dae Ho Park, had been a source of comfort and pillar of strength. Grimmie decided to dedicate a song to him and wrap up his recording sessions feeling "nothing but love". After months of creating "dark", "heavy", and "angst-ridden" tracks, Joshua realised that he had yet to tap into his love life, which also underwent a huge shift over the last two years. Park and Grimmie had been best friends for several years but did not become romantically involved until 2019, during the recording process of "GOLDENHEART". On "Flavors", Joshua confesses that the pair always held an attraction and deep connection with one another since they first met. However, due to Grimmie's relationship with Johnny Carter and, afterwards, the fear of potentially ruining a close friendship, Dae and Joshua denied their feelings for the longest time. The love song's simple chord progression and relaxed vocal delivery from Joshua, only spanning an octave and a half, is said to reflect the "easy" nature of their romantic relationship.

Joshua wrote:
"This section of songs on the album, "Starry Eyed Dreamer", "Swallow" and "Flavors" is where I'm feeling most confident about myself. A huge part of that is down to love. Now, I hate real fucking soppy love songs but sometimes...you just have to swoon over your partner. Yeah, my boyfriend is real fucking hot and I totally want to make everyone jealous but it's deeper than that. He really is my other half. The only person who truly gets me. I honestly don't think I'd be here today if not for him. I owe him so much and I think dedicating a song to him on an album that will hopefully live on forever is a good start. I played the song to Dae and he blushed. See, Dae is much more of a cool cat. I'm the sentimental, emotional one. If Dae was moved by it then it means that it hit the spot. It definitely had to go on the album, even if it is a detour from the heavier sound. "Flavors" is my "soft boi" moment. There's no hidden meaning. There's no other feelings besides love and gratitude. It's just straight-forward, laying it on the line. I love and adore him. I decided to really lean into the Reggae influenced dotted around the album and amplify it tenfold. "Flavors" is a real old school love jam. I wanted the sonics to make it feel like you're in love, slow dancing and getting intimate with the one you love."

Flavors

A little scared to jump into the deep end
With you, I've found my best friend
Against wicked lips, we'd have to contend
But it was about time we dropped the pretence
Knew me way back when I was fresh and lost
Always a spark but a line we never crossed

A sea of possibilities swirl in your eyes
Man, I think I dreamed you into my life
Count my lucky stars for that beautiful night
Slow on the moves but it was always at first sight

Out of all the flavors, you're my favorite
Goes down a treat, gotta learn to savor it
Chased different highs that never followed through
And every time, it came right back to you
Both spent so long just trying to deny
But you're the best flavor that I've ever tried

You weren't afraid to enter the tragic kingdom
Brightened it up with your incredible vision
Encouraging me with your words of wisdom
The only one to ever catch on to my rhythm
And I can't believe all the time we wasted
The sweetest recipe that we've ever tasted

Opened up and showed off our true colors
Bloomed more beautifully way under the covers
Luscious pinks prettier than any others
Could dive in and get lost in the land of wonder

My sweetheart, it was always you
Always there when it fell through
Brightening up my shades of blue
Warming up the coldest June
You kiss it all and make it better
And I'm always gonna return the favor
My Prince Charming, my savior
My everything, my favorite flavor

Mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm, my favorite flavor

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 02 December 2020 03:52:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

erich hess on 01/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 01/12/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/12/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 02/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#13 Posted : 02 December 2020 03:40:19(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: lost in the shallows
Length: 1:20

Lost in the Shallows (stylised in all lowercase letters) is a spoken-word piece recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It serves as an interlude and the twelfth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". The piece was written entirely by Grimmie. Knowing that he wanted to tackle a very dark theme of self harm and suicidal thoughts, Joshua decided to step into the booth and just let his thoughts flow as a way of easing into the situation. Rather than focus on melody, rhyming scheme, arrangement, genre and anything that comes with creating a song; Joshua just wanted to capture a feeling - treating the monologue as a diary entry of sorts. He recalls one of his lowest moments in life; feeling overwhelmed by his bipolar and contemplating suicide. These thoughts all came to Joshua in early 2018, resulting in him leaving his house to roam in a forest in an attempt to clear his head. However, even the wide open freedoms of nature felt foreboding and overwhelming for the singer. In this spoken-piece, various nature sounds have been added into the background. A constant running stream, boots walking over twigs and leaves, birds chirping and a slight breeze can all be heard while Joshua delivers his lines.

Joshua wrote:
"Before writing the song that would become "Tiny Little Bubbles", I had to really ease myself back into those memories which I try to block out. My diagnosis was one of my darkest hours. There was a lot to unpack and feel out. If I just threw myself into it, I knew I wouldn't be able to do it any justice. Also, I didn't want it to be a shock to the system when I eventually got into the room to create. I don't deal well with sudden stark changes in emotion. This little spoken-word piece was just me being honest with myself, recalling a very poignant moment in my life. I hate to feel defeated. I like to pretend I'm invincible and a fearless warrior but I can't lie, in that moment I felt so small and useless. I went out on that walk for some clarity but the only thing that became clearer to me was how lost and pathetic I felt. Of course, I was in a bad depressive episode then and the fog soon lifted...but that moment will haunt me forever. I was walking in the little stream, wearing the wrong shoes. My feet were soaking and freezing cold but it didn't matter. I was too busy feeling dwarfed by the trees. Too busy fixated on the soil that I'll be under one day. Felt like no matter what I do, say, achieve...it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Was a very low point for me."

lost in the shallows

The trees tower and taunt
As the disembodied voices leave me torpified
Stagnant while life blossoms around me
I stand motionless in the relentless river
Envious of its free-flowing nature
Yearning to succumb to its devious pull

So beautifully devastating
So perfectly unsound
Offering tranquillity with a glistening hand
And a perilous voyage for the wrong foot

It twists and it turns
While vines wrap around and choke
Hazy memories and butterfly sensations,
are all that we have as fleeting souvenirs,
as nature reclaims everything we build
Unforgiving in her path of destructive deviance

Wading through a topography of terrors
There's no escape,
I'm merely acquainting myself
For one day I shall join
and add to the stories whispered in the breeze

Edited by user 03 December 2020 02:10:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 8 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 02/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 02/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 02/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#14 Posted : 02 December 2020 04:29:50(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Tiny Little Bubbles
Genre(s): Soft Rock, Alternative Folk
Length: 4:26

Tiny Little Bubbles is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the thirteenth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. Grimmie wrote the song in December 2019, shortly after recording the "lost in the shallows" spoken-word piece which served as a precursor. "Tiny Little Bubbles" returns to the darker, more introspective themes on the record, following on from the "lighter" love song "Flavors". It is a soft rock and alternative folk song, featuring "ghostly" layered vocals from Joshua, who is also harmonising with himself throughout. A light tinkering of keys also constantly loops throughout the entire song. The tender vocal delivery, unsettling arrangement and heavy lyrical content help to create a very ominous sound. "Tiny Little Bubbles" was written about Joshua's first suicide attempt back in early 2018.

After being diagnosed with bipolar, struggling with numerous depressive episodes and receiving constant backlash online and within the media, Joshua attempted to take his own life in his parents' home by taking a high dosage of painkillers and falling unconscious in the bath. Fortunately, the singer couldn't manage this attempt and threw up the contents of his stomach before being taken to hospital by his mother and father. The haunting alternative rock song creates a sombre, uneasy atmosphere within its production, echoed cooing harmonies and Joshua's fragile delivery, with the listener expecting the song to soar at any given moment. Droplets of water can be heard within the chorus, being an obvious nod to the bath in which he intended on taking his life in. "Tiny Little Bubbles" was admittedly one of the easiest songs to write but one of the hardest to record for the singer. Grimmie revealed he would often break down in the recording booth and had to work on the song for weeks in order to perfect it. The release of "Tiny Little Bubbles" is the first time the star has ever spoken publicly on the matter.

Joshua wrote:
"Only a few close friends knew beforehand but, I've tried to take my own life about three times now. Stuff in the media was publicised about how I had "breakdowns" and had to be sectioned but thankfully, the gory details never leaked. I wasn't ready to talk about this for a long time because, frankly, I wasn't over it. A failed attempt meant that I'd just try it again in the future. Thankfully, I'm in a much happier and healthier place. On the right medication, happy with my love life and about 18 months free from self harm and since my last attempt. As bright as things are now, I couldn't NOT talk about such a pivotal moment in my life. I said to myself that I was going to address everything and, as hard as it was going to be, I had to reveal my suicide attempts. It was therapeutic for me. Finally being brave enough to talk about it, admitting that I'm a damn human, someone with a disorder who struggles at times. I'm not always "on". It was a way of giving up that "dirty little secret" and lifting that weight, lifting that stigma. Mental health issues are so important and with my platform, I want to be as transparent as possible. There's absolutely no shame in it. In no way do I want to romanticise shit like this. I simply want to make it OK to talk about such dark, deep times and feelings. We all try so hard to just get on with it and bottle shit up but, it all comes out in the end. Sometimes in the worst ways."

Tiny Little Bubbles

Weak knees take me to the side of the bridge
Blaring horns still don't drown out my own mind
Nirvana looms below as I peer over the edge
But what if it's all the same on the other side?
Wish I was brave enough to go and take that bet

I'll run the water as I lay bruised in the tub
I left my friends on the other side of the door
Burning around my neck as it fills right up
Still not deep enough, take me in the undertow
Merely breathing is becoming too much

Don't be profound, telling me that the universe cares
When the world only tightens its noose
Can't be fixed with a bottle or by dyeing my hair
It keeps on turning but the wheels are loose

Never been so focused yet so reckless
Long accustomed to the heavy pressure on my chest
Down into the unforgiving waters I go
Until those tiny little bubbles don't blow
Maybe one day I'll win that dangerous game
Like lonely droplets, maybe I'll just slide away

Was once told I had it in the palm of my hands
But I'm well known for my butterfingers
All falls away like the finest of sand
Laughter subsides but why does fear always linger?
I'm so tired of figuring out a new plan

Yet another storm I'm supposed to just weather
No idea which way the bitter winds are blowing
Sanity has slipped, patience at the end of its tether
Sinking like a stone to the bottom of the ocean

Could lie and say that this is all symbolic
Pretend there's a twisted genius to my logic
Like I'm washing away all that is toxic
No, the pain just really is that chronic
Going to extremes to find ways to stop it

Nirvana looms below as I peer over the edge
But what if it's all the same on the other side?
Wish I was brave enough to go and take that bet

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 04 December 2020 09:05:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

2001clay on 02/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 02/12/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 02/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 02/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#15 Posted : 03 December 2020 00:25:37(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: On The Inside
Genre(s): Ska Punk
Length: 3:28

On The Inside is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the fourteenth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The song was written in January 2020 after a reflective period over the holidays and New Year celebrations, causing Joshua to reflect over his time in the industry and the amends he wished to make going into 2020. "On The Inside" is a Ska Punk track, featuring "chirpy" guitar licks, "rolling" drums and a versatile vocal performance from Grimmie; using his chest and head voice, vibrato, a mixture of low and high tones, a rap-style delivery in the bridge and some belted notes throughout. The song was inspired by Joshua's early days within the industry. An insecure teenager, Joshua grew jealous of his fellow young male counterparts within the industry and would often make unnecessarily mean comments about them in interviews, causing rifts in the industry and fan communities. "On The Inside" serves as an apology and explanation for his past behaviour.

After a turbulent 2019 and entering a brand new decade with a new relationship and record on the horizon, Joshua decided that he wanted to enter 2020 with a clean slate. The singer "took stock" and "ownership" of all of his wrongdoings during a reflective period. Grimmie admittedly states that he was "abrasive", "extremely jealous" and "not the nicest person" back when he first broke out within the music industry. He would often make mean and dismissive comments about fellow male pop artists and their work. Prior to releasing the song, Joshua penned an open letter to acts such as Kato, Payton, Austin Nimmo, Lincoln and even his now-boyfriend Dae, apologising for his actions. In the letter, Grimmie explained that it all stemmed from his own self-hatred; not liking his physical appearance, inability to control his emotions and how unapproachable he seemed in comparison. Like a lot of Grimmie's work on the album, the Ska Punk production offers a much "breezier" and "lighter" soundscape in comparison to the lyrical content. However, the urgency and emotion is still extremely apparent in Joshua's varied delivery throughout the song.

Joshua wrote:
"I had to write an open letter before putting this song out. I wasn't sure if any of those guys would care to check out my song and it also felt a bit too impersonal to just drop a song about the situation. I was such an asshole back then. Granted, I was inexperienced and still a teenager but it's no excuse. I hurt a lot of feelings, burnt a lot of bridges, ruined potentially amazing friendships. There are only a small handful of us in the same boat, living similar lives, with advice on similar experiences and I went and capsized that. I was dropping shady comments, giving them the side-eye, being a total bitter bastard all because I was insanely envious and scared of not meeting expectations. I thought that if I push them and that "America's sweetheart pop boy" label away, I'd feel safer and more secure. I just felt even more isolated. "On The Inside" is more than just an apology, however. It's about taking accountability. I point the finger and get mad at the world in my songs. Rightfully so. I'm not perfect, however. I fuck up. A lot. This was on me and it was something I had to admit and own in order to move forward. I was a dick and I'm so sorry."

On The Inside

Pointing the finger at the boy in the mirror
Tension only builds as patience wears thinner
Boy, it's all about to fall
Too cool to go and run their race
When I wish that I could keep their pace
Oh, the mess of it all

High expectations bring the lowest blows
Can't buck me off if I throw the rodeo
I never was the angel child
Self-hatred has a burning chokehold
Pick the worst times to let it unfold
Acidic tongue runs wild

"Nothing wrong with him"
"He's perfectly beautiful"
It's these voices deep within
That are fucking delusional

Making up excuses to say that I hate you
Jealous of the glow when you step into a room
Sitting there comparing to everybody else
Truth is, I should be working on myself
I sabotage and kill myself on the inside
To justify why I'm stuck here on the outside

I really wish I was stood in your place
But I could never admit that to your face
So I go and twist the knife
Always end up with my foot in my mouth
Choking on the soap just to try wash it out
Really is a glorious life

I say that I'm not jealous
While turning shades of green
I grow a little overzealous
Then I start to kick and scream

Should be moving on but always stuck in reverse
Guess I need a little more time to rehearse
I know an olive branch may not be appealing
Since Joshy went and told the world how he's feeling
And I'm so sorry for throwing you under the wheel
Tried to bring you down to validate how I feel

And I know, and I know
And I know, and I know it's dumb
And I know, and I know
And I know, and I know it's wrong

Sitting there projecting onto everybody else
When it's what I really think about myself

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

2001clay on 03/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 03/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 03/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#16 Posted : 03 December 2020 02:09:31(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: ashley
Length: 1:37

Ashley (stylised in all lowercase letters) is a spoken-word piece recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It serves as an interlude and the fifteenth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". The piece was written entirely by Grimmie and is a dedication to his late sister, Ashley Grimmie. The singer's older sister tragically died in February 2020 at her New Jersey home. "ashley" is a dedication to the late singer. On the track, Joshua laments over her passing and speaks out to Ashley, telling her what a wonderful older sister that she was to him and how he misses her greatly. Throughout the piece, Joshua states that he and Ashley will be together again one day. As Joshua speaks, the sound effect of a pencil writing on paper and often scribbling out words can be heard very faintly in the mix. This represents the failed attempts Joshua had at originally penning the piece. Unable to find the right words, he decided to perform it off the cuff like his other spoken word segments.

Joshua wrote:
"Ashley's death is the elephant in the room. It's raw for me to talk about, people expect me to talk about it, so many are wanting closure and answers. I'm still very much in the grieving process and I better explain this spoken piece before I inevitably start bawling my eyes out. Ashley was my favorite person in the entire world. A beacon of strength. A best friend. A shoulder to cry on. A generous soul. A talented, beautiful young woman. I couldn't have asked for a better sister. There's a lot of anger I hold towards myself and the world over her untimely death but I put that energy into another track. Here, I just wanted to take a moment to tell her just how much I miss her and love her. Forget outside noise and complications. At the heart of it, I just want to honor her and have people remember her. I want to make it clear just how loved she was. I tried writing it all down but it felt too calculated so again, I just got into the booth and said whatever came to mind. The only thing that I managed to write down and decided to keep was the "Worlds within worlds..." piece that is repeated. Ashley was big on astrology and astronomy, people's energy, beyond the physical body and all of that. I wanted to give a little nod to that and tell her that she's right - we WILL meet again in another time and place."

ashley

Ashley, I have your name tattooed on my skin
Your laugh echoes in the corridors of my mind
Clutching on to any sort of trace
But nothing can ever fill this empty space

There's an abundance to say
But no clear point to start from
I'll stumble over my words like a fool
I'll deliver a monologue with a lump in my throat
And you'll just giggle
You'll tell me I'm being silly, that it's all just fine

Worlds within worlds that often align
I know that we'll be together in time

I don't know what's on the other side
But I know these prayers must be going somewhere
And I hope that my words bring you peace
Wrap around you just like the hugs I yearn for
Serenity always fell inside your embrace
You wouldn't have to utter a single syllable
Yet everything would fall right at ease

Through blissful days and the stormiest weather
There was no friend like you, my sister
Side by side, we always stood together
Believed that it would last forever
So many adventures could have come our way
So many songs that we never got to play

UserPostedImage

2001clay on 03/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 03/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 03/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 28/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#17 Posted : 04 December 2020 08:53:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Take Your Place
Genre(s): Rock Pop
Length: 4:41

Take Your Place is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the sixteenth track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The song was initially conceptualised by Grimmie in March 2020, a few weeks after his sister Ashley's passing. A loose structure and rough lyrics, the song would remain unfinished until Joshua returned to the studio in the May of 2020, when he was in a 'better frame of mind'. "Take Your Place" is a Rock-Pop song with influences of 1970's stadium rock in its arrangements. The song features "strong" and "emotive" vocals from Joshua layered over a "powerful" and "climbing" mixed structure of both electric and acoustic guitars. "Take Your Place" sees Joshua address and question his role as Ashley's brother. In the song, the singer states how he unintentionally "stole the spotlight" from his older sister and put his needs before hers, only realising that Ashley had issues of her ow after it was too late. Joshua admits to wanting to "take her place" one last time, meaning that he wished he had died instead.

After Ashley's death, Joshua admittedly entered a state of shock and relapsed; abusing drugs once more. His mother begged him to stop as an accidental overdose was officially announced as the cause of Ashley's death. Out of respect for his sister and parents, Joshua decided to kick his habit and temporarily move back in with his parents for his own benefit but to also help them with the grieving process. With clarity, solitude and a lot of reflection, Joshua realised that he took a lot of focus off of Ashley throughout their lives and was angry at himself for not noticing that his sister was in a bad place mentally. The day after Ashley's funeral, Joshua penned the initial draft of the song in his old childhood bedroom but only ever managed to conjure a loose vocal melody as he was taking time away from his own studio. It wouldn't be until May when "Take Your Place" would properly take shape. Joshua decided to create a rock inspired ballad arrangement as an ode to Ashley. Joshua stated that Ashley loved the genre and always wanted to make a record but found her voice "too sweet" to do so.

Joshua wrote:
"As much as I loved and cherished Ashley, never wishing her any harm, I honestly feel like I was a terrible brother to her for the most part. "Take Your Place" is another open apology track. This time, I'm saying I'm sorry to my dear sister. While she truly was a pillar of strength, Ashley clearly had her own troubles in life, especially towards the end. I just always envisioned her as a rock. My big sister. My shoulder to cry on. The one person I could always rely on. My favorite person. Growing up, I was always the dramatic one. I was the wild child. I'd be the one getting detention in school, being grounded at home, copping an attitude while Ashley was and always has been such an angel. Upon reflection, even as a kid, I must have taken a lot of my parents' time away from her. As an adult, you already know how messy my life is. You just have to Google my name. Always screwing up and running to Ashley for help, unconsciously taking her for granted and expecting that she'd have nothing better to do than to listen to me. Even down to our careers, I remember reading a tweet that said something like 'Joshua really took the Grimmie name Ashley built and ran with it'. Like, shit, I really don't think I would have been given an opportunity in the industry if it weren't for her stepping out first. She never expressed any jealousy but looking back, she must have felt so shunned at times. Everything was about me. From our childhood at home, to the media, to our late night phone calls. It was always MY issues and evidently, Ash had so many of her own that I didn't know about until it was too late. I know that I can't make amends but I hope that wherever she is, she knows how sorry I am. The one time where I consciously want to take her place, I can't."

Take Your Place

I got real good at crashing right in
Your tears would run and I'd go swim
My problems were obviously far bigger
I'm the baby brother, you're the older sister
Always thought you had it figured out
But you bit your tongue so not to shout

Swear that I didn't mean to undermine
Was so caught up in this fuckery of mine
I'd spill, I'd swirl and make such a wreck
No second thought for who'd clean the mess

I'd nudge you out of centre stage
Was so eager to go and take your place
And if I could, I'd do it once again
You should be sat here instead of me
Was always fond of a little tragedy
Wish I could take your place again

Battling your own internal conflict
Really didn't need me to constrict
Listening to me whine that life's not fair
All while you're secretly gasping for air
You'd always try to make it right
I'm sorry I couldn't even shed a light

Even back when we were little kids
I'd always find myself in stupid shit
I'd cause a scene over the tiniest graze
And you'd be right there with your band aid

I'd bring you down to where I was
My perfect angel in weighted chains
And now you're soaring high above
Making use of those glorious wings
Here I go again, trying to pull you back
Left me behind and I'm not having that
I'd bareknuckle fight any of the Gods
Tear apart astral and spiritual planes
I'd wager it all against any odds
Just to have you right here again

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

2001clay on 04/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 04/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 05/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 28/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#18 Posted : 04 December 2020 10:13:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: Some Love
Genre(s): Alternative Rock
Length: 4:23

Some Love is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is the seventeenth and final full-length track on his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART". It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. The song was written in December 2019, shortly after "Tiny Little Bubbles" and "lost in the shallows", while still focusing on some of the darker aspects of his life. It is an alternative rock song with elements of a power ballad spread throughout. The track also features a Spanish guitar breakdown after the bridge. "Some Love" is noted for its "dramatic buildup", with the song starting out with sparse chords and a tender vocal from Grimmie before erupting into a cacophony of drums and guitars towards the end with a more guttural, emotive vocal delivery. The song was inspired by a lot of the mean comments and death threats that Joshua has received after the years which have impacted him. Rather than sing solely about his own issue, Joshua opened the track up to talk about bullying on a grand scheme. "Some Love" also makes a point of being gender inclusive, switching the pronouns out in each chorus.

Since the initial planning stages of GOLDENHEART, Joshua wanted to address the subject of online harassment. Known for his confidence and tough exterior, Grimmie seldom approached the matter or admitted that many comments hurt him over the years. Being an outspoken celebrity, often airing his opinions on political and worldly matters as well as engaging in feuds with high profile people, Joshua has received a lot of backlash over the years. Political opposers and social media trolls often harass the singer, even hurling death threats his way. He had to cancel his first world tour due to a terror threat. The song was born after Joshua began to play around on his guitar. Accidentally stumbling upon chords that "spoke to him", Joshua began to expand and soon realised that this was the style of song he wanted to write these long-awaited lyrics too. The initial demo he recorded kept the slower tempo heard in the first verse of the final version. After rewrites and growing more impassioned over the subject, Joshua continued to layer and build upon the song, resulting in the dramatic final version released on the album.

Joshua wrote:
"I knew that I had to address this shit but after writing a few lines, I realised that it could very well become a 'woe is me', 'feel sorry for me' soggy ballad. I didn't want that. While I wanted to talk about a lot of the hurt and pain I have experienced at the hands of incredibly cruel people, I didn't want it to be a 'me' thing. It's why I placed it after "Take Your Place" on the record. I've realized I'm not the only one who goes through shit. It's a much bigger conversation. So many people are taking their own lives, living a much poorer quality of life due to their mental state and it's all because of horrid bullies. It seems like such a childish issue. When you hear the word "bully", you tend to think of a mean kid in the schoolyard. Let me tell you, there are even bigger bullies in the adult world. They may have a 9 to 5 job and thinning hair, but they still exist. Words hurt. Glares hurt. Saying something shocking to get a "hit tweet" or attention fucking hurts. People think I'm untouchable because I've sold so many records and my Twitter account is verified but hey, I'm still a fucking human! I see the shit hurled my way and some of it...well, I still have some messages imprinted at the front of my mind to this day. On "Some Love", I just wanted to open everyone's eyes. I didn't want to fight fire with fire and point the finger. I even talk about some of my own shortcomings in the bridge of the song. Look, we're not perfect but we CAN do better. As stated in the lyrics, I just want people to say something different. If you're going to send a comment to a stranger, make sure it's something that brightens their day instead of ruining it. Share some love. Choose love. "

Some Love

Maybe your words will be nicer when I'm gone
Maybe you'll raise a glass, shed a tear
Maybe you'll realize where you went wrong
But it's a little too late, my dear
Anchoring feeling as you hear the swansong
Haunting notes driven by fear

Words are just silly little sounds
They're supposed to bounce and ricochet
They're the reason why I hate the playground
Daggered syllables that deeply penetrate
You wave the knife just to mess around
When the blade slides in, you look away

Hard to shake it off when you can barely breathe
Hard to rise above when you've shot my knees
Second guessing and becoming obsessive
Over what you thought was a throwaway message

So won't you say something different?
File it down and blunt the edge?
Despite what you heard, I am not that tough
All these acidic tongues, I'm blistering
All the passing comments still lingering
I hate to ask but could you share some love?

He's the boy that's always picked last
She's the one who watches all the coats
They're the one who will always make you laugh
But are never in on the twisted joke
We're all struggling on our muddy paths
No need to go dig a bigger hole

A toxic father screaming down from the bleachers
Deaf ears on the overworked principal teacher
Thrown to the wolves so fragile and young
Light a little candle by where they hung

Despite what you heard, she is not that tough
All these acidic tongues, she's blistering

Despite what you heard, he is not that tough
All these acidic tongues, he's blistering

I've been a gloomy little raincloud myself
Casting ferocious spells over somebody else
I've turned blind eyes to those on the street
Kept on walking, staring down at my feet
There's no real difference between me and him
For one day, we shall both wear our wings
In situations just trying to do our best
Perplexed by it all and both bleeding red

Despite what you heard, they are not that tough
All these acidic tongues, they're blistering

Despite what you heard, I am not that tough
All these acidic tongues, I'm blistering

Hold your tongue, my friend
Won't you say something different?
Oh, oh, oh, oh

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage

2001clay on 04/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 04/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 05/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 28/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#19 Posted : 04 December 2020 10:14:47(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

Title: good day, again (reprise)
Genre(s): Ska Punk, Reggae Fusion
Length: 0:34

Good Day, Again (Reprise) (stylised in all lowercase letters) is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. It is a reprise and outro for his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART", serving as the eighteenth and final track. It is the chorus of the opening song "Good Day" repeated once more to close out the album. After "Some Love" ends, the sound of a crackling and popping spinning vinyl can be heard, representing the end of the record. However, a scratching sound effect is then heard, as if someone clumsily knocked the needle on the record player, causing it to jump back to the first song on the album. The chorus of "Good Day" plays before slowly fading out towards the end before a verse has the chance to arrive. Joshua decided to end the album this way to showcase the "constant cycle" of his turbulent life.

Joshua wrote:
"The "GOLDENHEART" record does actually follow a story. A purposely disjointed one. After all, it does represent my life!! It has a clear start with "Good Day", where I tell myself that everything is going to be OK, it's a fresh start and nothing is going to get me down. From then on, however, it gets thrown upside down. The story becomes non-linear because, in my experience, it never goes to plan. It's all nice and then WHOA! I'm pissed off, I've been cheated on, I'm suddenly single, I'm being vilified, I'm feeling flirty and playful, I'm confused, I find love again, I'm confused again, I'm mad at the world, I'm wanting to take my own life, I go through a loss, I get a huge wakeup call, I feel reflective....it's a fucking ride inside this head, man. Best part of it is? It loops around again each day! Putting that at the end represents that constant cycle of extreme emotions. It's also a little unexpected pick-me-up for the listener as the last few tracks were rather heavy. Again, showcasing a sudden switch in emotion. It's been a journey, folks."

good day, again (reprise)

[Record scratch]

...Set my sights high and marked them with an X
It's a real good day

It's a real good day

[Fade out]

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 05 December 2020 11:54:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline BrownSugar  
#20 Posted : 04 December 2020 10:15:16(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

ALBUM BOOKLET

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 04/12/2020(UTC), erich hess on 04/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 04/12/2020(UTC), FiveT on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 05/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 28/12/2020(UTC)