logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2021 20:55:32(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
UserPostedImage

"Chart Heat Chat" is a new music podcast for 2021, hosted by Konstantin Lloyd and Fayette Morgan [often referred to as "K & Faye"] and run in conjunction with Chart Heat: The Official Charts Company. The podcast will feature a new guest each week in the form of a musical artist, writer and/or producer. Each episode will see the guest interviewed in-depth regarding their current musical project(s), career beginnings, musical influences and memories, as well as taking part in some light-hearted games involving Chart Heat trivia. "Chart Heat Chat" episodes will be posted every Monday after the Official Chart Radio Show, also hosted by Konstantin and Fayette. The first season is set to include 10 episodes. You can listen via the official Chart Heat website, Google Podcasts, Apple Podcasts and Spotify. "Chart Heat Chat" is sponsored by Bose.

THE HOSTS

Twitter: @OfficialKLloyd
Instagram: @KONSTANTIN
UserPostedImage

Konstantin Darius Novikova-Lloyd (born January 28 1994), known as Konstantin Lloyd or simply even K. Lloyd, is a British-Kazakhstani radio host, DJ, TV presenter and personality. Konstantin joined the Chart Heat family in 2018 as part of our huge relaunch. Since then, Konstantin has hosted our weekly Chart Show on the radio, counting down and playing the Top 20 songs as well as revealing that coveted #1 every Monday. Before joining our family, Lloyd was alumni of the prestigious Berkhamsted School, a private preparatory school in Hertfordshire, England. Between the ages of 18 and 21, Konstantin moved back to Kazakhstan, his country of birth. During those three years, Konstantin found work at Radio Astana. He cut his teeth on the broadcasting circuit as one of the station's late-night DJs, playing club records until the early hours. In 2015, Konstantin returned to the UK and found similar work at House Nation UK. He made his TV debut as a host on music and entertainment channel The Vault in 2017. That same year, Konstantin joined the Capital team, hosting The Capital Weekender on the Capital DANCE station. When the Chart Heat family were looking to adopt a spunky, zealous, energetic and friendly host for our iconic chart show, there was only one option.

Twitter: @FayetteTalks
Instagram: @MsFayette
UserPostedImage

Fayette Naima Morgan (born November 14 1987), often simply referred by as Faye, is an American radio host, author and music journalist. Fayette is the newest addition to the Chart Heat family, debuting alongside our revamped logos, studios and programming. She may be a new face to some music lovers but Fayette is certainly no stranger to the airwaves. Ms. Morgan left her home city of Rockville, Maryland at the age of 17 and found herself in London on account of her father having to be relocated with his new job. Rather than flounder like a fish out of water, Fayette took hold of the abundance of opportunities that simple weren't available to her back home. She continued her education in England and went on to graduate from Goldsmiths, University of London with a MA degree in radio practice and audio production. After starting out as a host on her campus radio, Fayette would later go on to earn a weekend hosting gig on Soul Radio UK in 2013. Fayette departed from the station in 2016 to give birth to her daughter, Eloise, and to focus on her writing. 2017 saw the release of her self-help book, "Beyond All Fear" and, later that year, returned to radio as a stand-in presenter on BBC 1Xtra and BBC Radio 6. Whilst working under the company, Fayette started her own podcast on BBC Sounds titled "Unearthing Wonders", focusing on independent musicians and stories from people connected to music of Black origin within the streets of the UK.

THE EPISODES

Episode 1 - "Electrified & Revitalised" - [Guest: Mandy Williams]
Episode 2 - "All Grown Up" - [Guest: Mi•Mi]
Episode 3 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 4 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 5 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 6 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 7 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 8 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 9 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]
Episode 10 - "Title TBC" - [Guest: TBC]

CHART TRIVIA LEADERBOARD
1. Mandy Williams (4/5)
2. Mi•Mi (4/5)

Edited by user 15 March 2021 22:09:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 04/01/2021(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/01/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 04/01/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 04/01/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/01/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 05/01/2021(UTC), kandii on 05/01/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2021 00:46:26(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

K: Hello, gorgeous people! I'm Konstantin Lloyd but you can call me K.
Faye: And I'm Fayette Morgan, Faye if you're nasty.
K: And you're listening to Chart Heat Chat, a brand new podcast by music lovers for music lovers.
Faye: We are so blessed, K. For our first ever episode we have actual modern day pop music royalty in our presence. She has topped the charts several times over, collaborated with the likes of Tisha Jackson, Dominic Brown and mISTER_b, helped define the teen pop era of the 2010's, grabbed headlines, scooped up awards and has done so while still remaining pop music's humble little sweetheart.
K: Yes, Faye, and she has also just released her show-stopping second studio album, "Electrified", after almost SEVEN years since her debut. Oh and she's currently #1 on both our Album AND Singles Chart! If you haven't guessed it already, we are joined by the one and only Mandy Williams!

EPISODE ONE: MANDY WILLIAMS - ELECTRIFIED & REVITALISED

UserPostedImage

K: Mandy, how are you? Welcome to Chart Heat Chat, our very first guest!
Hi and so nice to meet you both and I'm really excited to be here. But wow! Honestly, I'm so flattered with that intro! It made me blush, you too are so sweet! Honored to be your first guest here on Chart Heat Chat. Really excited.

Faye: How does it feel to be back in the swing of things, promoting a new album after all this time?
It feels quite...wild? To say the least? I've had so much down time over the past few years, it feels a bit surreal but I also feel so invigorated and inspired. Getting into the full swing of things really gives me a rush and it reminded me of how much I actually miss doing what I'm doing. Releasing an album, doing interviews. It feels really good!

Faye: And do you feel like much has changed? Some people might not think 6, nearly 7 years is that long but in the world of pop it can seem like a lifetime. Everything moves so fast. Your first album dropped in 2014. This was before streaming really blew up, before social media became such a key component in promoting music and of course, you were a whole lot younger then. How does it feel to be Mandy Williams: Pop Star in 2021?
Well, first going back into it, it was really nerve wrecking! A lot has changed since 2014 like you said so I was really going into this thinking that I didn't want it to seem forced, I wanted it to be natural and hopefully the people will take to it and still love me after so many years because really, my love for my fans and supporters have always stood the same and I think now getting back into it, it feels absolutely amazing. Like, a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders and I also think that time has really gone by so fast. It's already 2021, isn't that crazy?

K: Before we talk about now, I just want to touch upon back then. Your debut album, "The Teenage Years", was released in 2014. You had a gradual and steady build to success and by the time the album came out, everyone wanted a piece of Mandy Williams. It topped the charts and with only one album to your name, you were already an icon and role model to a young generation. Do you ever sit back and think "Wow, I did that!"? It must have been such a whirlwind at the time.
Absolutely. Especially while recording this album, the long process, I would think back and really just take it all in. Where my life and career has gone over this 7 year period. I always think about how lucky I am to even be in the position that I am to be a role model to the younger generation. It's a task that is kind of "given" to us and I think it's important to follow through with it and take those people on your ride and story. But definitely a whirlwind...to say the least.

K: You came up during the time of Weekend, Andrea, Dominic Brown, Hayden, Cassie Valentine, The Zone, acts that were propelled to superstardom with only one album to their name at that time. This was a new generation of fandom. A wave of zealous, devoted youngsters creating this online mania that then spread to the masses. We're talking about the generation that coined fandom names, mobbed artists when they went out to buy milk, would club together to frantically vote and trend things for the artist they loved. With all the sudden love, attention and eyes on you, did you ever feel pressure to act a certain way? Did you feel pressure to be some sort of role model?
That makes me think of all my amazing COOKIES who are probably listening right now. Sort of like I said, it's a role given to us and the way we choose to go about that is really just up to us. It comes with the territory and I've never wanted to change who I truly am just to be a role model, I've taken it as a way to just be myself and represent myself as a good example to my fans and such. There's thousands and thousands of people watching who love you for being you and I've always shown my authentic self and I guess with that comes the pressure but I never felt the need to act a certain way because pretending to be someone else really just becomes exhausting and we've seen it before, when we aren't being ourselves it comes out and then it's kind of like...who have you really been all this time? So I just wanted to always be my authentic self to my fans. You know, take me for who I am or don't take at all! *laughs*

Faye: What would you say was your real goal back then? What did you wish to achieve when you decided to forge ahead with a career in music?
That's such a good question Faye. Wow...um...I would say my real goal back then was to reach as many people as I can and continue to push myself musically and inspire others. I'm the kind of person where I kind of just let life take me where it takes me. I wanted to get out there and really just show the world who I am and inspire. That was my real goal.

Faye: Well, I hope you're ready to relive just a smidgen of the past because we're about to play one of your earliest records. Mandy, this is "Teenagers"!
Ohhhhhh wow! A real throwback! Hehhe, I love this.

"Teenagers" by Mandy Williams plays

Faye: What an anthem! That was then, however. This is now. You're back. I really mean you are BACK. You sort of dipped on us for a while. It has been almost 7 full years since "The Teenage Years" and even a few years have passed since you actually launched your second album era. So fill us in, my girl. Why the big gaps?
Thank you, thank you Faye. So sweet, but that's the big question. Where have I been? There were gaps in the recording of The Teenage Years when in the beginning, everything was moving really smoothly. I had just recorded every song at the time for the album and then I had a really public break up, and break down where I was just trying to find the inspiration again. It was hard. When you're dealing with depression, everything just seems so gray and it got hard to push myself to get in the studio and do what I love. I kind of just felt really empty and spent all of this time with myself and my thoughts, um, I ended up in the hospital and that kind of pushed everything back as well and created a large gap in between writing and recording and during that time, I did a little recording here and there but I never felt the real push to get in the studio and finish the project on a consistent basis.

K: Was there a pivotal point, maybe a lightbulb moment or a specific song that made everything click and for you to say "OK, the album is coming NOW", after so many delays?
In October of 2020. And you said it perfectly. I woke up one day and I just felt like it was time. I had been sitting on so much amazing material and I just felt inspired. Seeing other artists out there doing so many amazing things, I thought to myself. "Mandy...what have you really done? It's time to get back out there". I also give it to my therapist as well who really pushed me to get back out there and I felt like, in order to heal, you have to do what you love, you have to be able to push yourself out of that dark tunnel because at the end of th day, you control your life and your destiny and I feel like I was put on here to deliver music to my fans and connect with them and it was really long since the last time I did that I felt like I was ready finally.

K: And, like I mentioned, the "Electrified" project was often delayed. I wanted to know what the recording process of this album felt like to you. Was it cathartic? Therapeutic? Did you find yourself getting frustrated at times?
Most definitely therapeutic. Whenever I was able to get in the studio and sing about the way I felt, it allowed me to tap back into those emotions and to let them out.

Faye: The end product is amazing, I must say. It's a wonderful record and such a great way to kick off 2021. Your debut was a fun, solid pop record but "Electrified" is just next level. There are many reasons I could list as to why this record blows the first one out of the water but what would YOU say is the biggest difference between "The Teenage Years" and "Electrified"?
Awwww that’s so sweet! Hehe, thank you. Honestly I think sonically Electrified has more of a concept. Every song serves as a purpose. Although I love the Teenage Years, I feel like it just was a bunch of catchy songs that kind of reflected on my teenage years, it was immature in many ways and it’s a fun album and brings me back to the good ole days but it just doesn’t have the same strength, vulnerability and overall story that Electrified has.

K: "Electrified" definitely is a far more honest record, regardless of how dressed up in pop it is. Was it difficult to really open up? I know that you're a relatively private person.
It was very difficult to open up some times and that’s what initially caused some delays with the album. Just not feeling comfortable enough to tap in to those feelings because they were so raw. It really took time for me to really feel like I was ready to open up the way I did. Especially after the fallout. It was really tough. Before them, it wasn’t hard to talk about intimacy but it got really hard to open up about heartbreak and depression among darker topics that show up on Electrified.

Faye: And how have you found it so far? The response has been amazing. Do you feel somewhat liberated in a way?
Very liberated! Even if the response was poor, I’d still feel liberated because I know that I’ve worked so hard to deliver an album that I could truly connect with and it has helped me so much in healing. The fact that the response has been as good as it has been is just the icing on the cake. It feels amazing.

K: We'll be talking about the album some more in a few minutes but first up, we've got another track to spin. This is one of my favourites on the record. It also happens to be Mandy's most recent #1 hit. This is her comeback single, "Truce".

"Truce" by Mandy Williams plays

Faye: Truce is such a wonderful track. It's one of those songs that supersede just a typical lead single drop. It really felt like you came back with a bang, with a statement. People weren't just loving the catchy nature of the song but were really invested in you, what you had to say and were totally caught off guard by the surprise drop. How did it feel to receive that sort of feedback?
Thank you so much Faye! It felt really good! Releasing a track like that with so much truth put into it and it being a surprise was something that was quite scary at first. It was my first time releasing music in a long time so I wasn't sure how people would respond to it. I was so flattered by the reception and I really do feel grateful for it. Felt amazing to say the least.

K: Was it intimidating coming back with a song like "Truce"? Releasing after a long time is one thing but to just drop quite a statement of a song after a period of silence is another.
Absolutely. I was counting the days up until it's release. My heart was speeding when 12AM hit. And when it was out there, wow, the amount of pressure that was lifted off of my shoulders was really such a relief!

K: Now, it seems to me that you're just not stopping. Yeah, "Truce" went to #1. Yeah, "Electrified" has been acclaimed and adored but that's not enough. You're not letting up as you've just serviced a new single, "Guilt". Tell us a bit about that song and why you've chosen it as the next single.
"Guilt" was really a track that I wanted to release as a follow up to Truce, but in many ways it so much different than Truce. It's a track that allows listeners to really tap into how I feel on the flip side of the message I'm giving in "Truce". "Guilt" delves into deeper emotion. Reflection on a deeper aspect that doesn't beat around the bush. I decided to release it as a single cause I felt it'd allow people to hear me in a different light, it's captivating, it's dramatic which juxtaposed the light sounds heard in Truce. I wanted to release something that was a surprise, something that isn't the same as a traditional single release. It was daring, and I was willing to do so.

Faye: "Guilt" is one of my favourites on the album. K and I were both discussing the record before you came in and we both pretty much agreed that the final few tracks of the record are the crown jewel. A song I want to touch upon is "Trust". Beautiful track, very heavy subject matter. You quite bluntly say; "Now there’s a lesson to learn. Don’t trust." I was wondering how you navigate feeling betrayed and unable to trust while also being very open and honest in your latest work. Do you fear that by putting those words out there, another dramatic situation might evolve from that?
Thank you Faye and I'm really happy that's one of your favorites! It's not the traditional radio single so I'm happy you and K were able to really connect with the record. With "Trust", I don't really think another dramatic situation may evolve from it because everything's a learning experience and in Trust I say those words because well, that's something I've learned. Not to let your guard down too fast. And I think maybe that's a personal thing I've got to deal with in the future but being able to learn from experiences will help to alleviate something that may happen in the future. I can't take back what happened in the past, but I can keep my eyes open to not end up in a situation again.

K: You've recently spoken about him for the first time in an interview and he's obviously the source material for the bulk of this album. The elephant in the room is of course Deneil. I don't wish to pry too much about what went down. We can just listen to the album to hear about how you felt. I was wondering how things are right now. Do you know if he's heard the album? Where are you at now with the situation after finally releasing all these thoughts and feelings?
Yeah...the elephant in the room. First and foremost, I want to say that I don't commend any constant bullying of Deneil, or hurtful things being said to him. I know with the music and subject matter that it could go there but I also know that I'm transparent with my music and how I felt so I could not, not release them music and the source of a lot of it is Deneil but I'm gonna say here that I don't wish for people to kind beat down on him and bully him because that's just not something I stand for. As of right now, I think I've grown to live with it. Like I say in my song "Alone", I go.... "It is what it is, it was what it was." And I mean it. I've closed that chapter in my life now and it is what it is. Now that Electrified is out and I've gotten so much off of my chest I've moved on. I do still care for him and don't wish any bad on him no matter how much I may resent him. But in order to truly move on, you've got to make one with the past. And I've done that. 5 years is long enough and I won't let him, or that situation define me for any longer. In terms of whether or not I think he listened to it, I'm not really sure and I haven't thought about that. I focused on more of my fans listening to my journey through this album and if he hears it maybe he can understand how I felt because we never spoke about it face to face.

K: Since we're on the subject of that time, don't worry I'm not going to dwell on it or push the subject too hard, we know that you obviously had a rough patch and were once hospitalised. What happened there? Is everything OK now? I don't have to go beat someone up do I?
.....At that point in my life...um..I felt that I needed an escape and the way that I went about it wasn't healthy. It's not the right way to do things but I was young, I was heartbroken, and the only way I really looked to escape early on was to party and experiment with substances that numb the pain and I took it too far and ended up at the lowest point in my life. I think that was that was the turning because brushing with death is a scary, really dark situation and I knew I was really low and I needed to build myself up again. No K *blushes*, you don't have to beat any one up because it was my decision to mix things that shouldn't be mixed. Like I had said, it was a learning experiences...a big learning experience and everything is okay now thankfully. I never want to put myself in that situation again and I thank god every day for giving me a second chance. This time I won't take it for granted.

Faye: The journey to "Electrified" has certainly been far from easy and one filled with mistakes and a lot of growing and learning. You have a lot of older songs on the album, all from a few years back when things were greatly shifting in your life, not really for the best. Was it a difficult decision to keep those older songs filled with memories or was it essential for you to have them stay as part of the story?
It wasn't really difficult because in order for the album to be complete, I needed everything to be on the album that defined who I was at the time and who I am now and through it, that's what makes me Electrified. Pushing through the heartache and depression and being able to stand tall is what makes me or anyone else who overcomes an electrified being. Because at the end of it, you feel stronger and you feel that sense of electricity that I feel now so it had to be full of memories of the past and how I'm feeling now. It's a story through music.

Faye: The older tracks still stand up today and my favourite from the bunch is "Ecstasy" with mISTER_b, which we're spinning now!
One of my absolute favorites from the album! yay! Here's Ecstasy by mister_b and I!

"Ecstasy" by Mandy Williams & mISTER_b plays

K: What a tune! I miss that guy. I wonder what he's up to now. He produced some bangers. Also, bit of random information for you, mISTER_b? HUGE back in Kazakhstan. I used to spin his records all the time. What was it like working with him? He was untouchable at one point.
I'm sure Drake was huge everywhere! Still beloved for everything he's done for dance music. Working with Drake was so much fun. Not only is he so supportive, he GETS the artist. He knows what sounds work best for a particular artist and we've had a working relationship since "The Teenage Years", which he had a hand in producing and writing with me so it was only right that Ecstasy was kept on the album. It's also an electrifying bop. We actually touched based recently and he told me how proud he is of me and it's always nice to hear from people like him again. He's great, and I look forward to working with him again when he puts out new music.

Faye: And of course, he's not the only famous face you have alongside you on the record. Nick Urie features on "Beautiful Nightmare". I think he's a fantastic young musician and one of my favourite new artists. What was it like working with him and bringing someone from a new generation of artists on board?
Yessss love Nick Urie. He's so eager and so talented. He offers some really strong vocals on "Beautiful Nightmare" and I'm truly a fan of his. Beautiful Nightmare was initially a solo record, but after getting back to recording and finalizing the writing, I wanted a new male artist who could be on the album and I listened to his debut on repeat, fell in love with his vocal style and felt it would mix really well with mine. I contacted him personally and we just made it happen. He's such a sweet guy and a total professional at such a young age.

K: Of course, newcomer aside or not, Nick still holds a lot of weight due to his surname. The Urie's have been heavyweights in the industry since...well, before I was on the wrong side of 25 and didn't need to shave! Speaking of musicians from back then, you have Ian Hanson playing guitar on "Guilt". For those not in the know, Ian was a member of Two Equals Three - pop duo which featured Madison. A total throwback. Always wished that project flourished more than it did. How did that come about? Was that through Nick or...?
Yes it was quite random how Ian Hanson got on "Guilt" and I really, really appreciate how fast he was on getting to the studio and working on Guilt. It wasn't Nick, surprisingly. The collaboration actually came really last minute. I felt like guitars would really take up the chorus of Guilt a notch and was looking for guitarists who could do just that. Ian was doing some work over at FREEDOM and he was referred to me. He's REALLY good on the guitar and knew exactly what would work and the results were astounding. He really brought Guilt up to the next level.

Faye: I feel like you are very hands-on with your music. You are often the sole writer on a lot of your tracks. Is it easy for you to open up to collaborators and let them do their thing or do you have very specific ideas of what you want a song or musical idea to sound like?
I'm really particular about the music idea and how I want my records to sound. It has to all make sense to me and be authentic, so even when I do get in the studio with other writers, I'm really particular about what I want to get across and how I want it to sound. I love hearing ideas from others too, but it really has to be true to me.

Faye: Have you ever had to turn down or maybe even scrap a collaboration because it didn't feel right? I know a lot of artists who feel a lot of pressure to work with someone because their fans want it or they're on the same label and the label sort of forces that upon them.
I've had to in the past just because it wasn't at the right moment. I love collaborating but it just has to be right. We've all turned some collabs down and I feel so bad about it sometimes but I try not to let the pressure get to me.

K: I'm guessing you have a great relationship with Freedom Records? Not a lot of labels would be happy about delaying an album, no matter the circumstances. They're big business machines and don't seem to have much of a heart.
FREEDOM has been so supportive and have worked with me so well. I feel really lucky to have the ability to control my own release dates and have full creative control. Since day one of signing with them, I've been my own entity and they've back me one hundred percent. Nevaeh, although the CEO, is like a mother to us all. She's frequently checked it and assured me I can take as much time as I need. I'm sure they're happy that I'm out here promoting again but not once did I feel pressure from the label to rush the album and I know at other places I may have not been treated with that kind of respect so thank youuuuu to FREEDOM for being so easy going and supportive with this project and even my self care.

K: Do you enjoy having a major label behind you? Would you ever go down the independent road? I feel like a lot of the latest artists to break out are doing it independently or are on rather small labels. It's actually becoming rarer to find a big pop star on a big label nowadays.
I don't know, being with FREEDOM kind of makes me feel like I'm independent with major backing. I've been with a major label since the start of my career so it's all I've really known.

Faye: Well, we are going to play one last song before K grills you with his music trivia questions and I put you under the microscope to examine your musical history. Mandy, which song of yours would you like us to play?
Awwww I've had such a great time here with the both of you. I think it's important for me to play the song that started it all and that's "Electrified"!

[Electrified by Mandy Williams plays]

K: Welcome back. I have Mandy Williams in the hot seat. She has seen and done if all over the last decade in the industry. Nothing can shake her...until now that is. Her reputation of Pop Princess is on the line here. I'm going to ask five pop culture questions. Will she leave with dignity or egg on her face? Mandy Williams, are you ready to feel The Heat?
Oop! Okay, let's do this. Hehe!

K: What was the name of the Public Warning member who was infamously dismissed via email?
Ummm....was it Declan! Yeah! Declan!

K: Correct! Which one of these albums did NOT achieve #1 status last year; "Sides" by Kidd Amaze, "ELECTORHEART" by Sabina or "Strictly Business" by Tika Mays?
Strictly Business by Tika Mays! Love that album, by the way.

K: Correct! Which member of Weekend was born and partially raised in Australia?
Scott!

K: The judging panel on the very first season of Star Factory included Scott Rose-Hilton, Alicia Lena, Michelle Green, Brittany Knox and which other male artist?
ooooh...has to be Hayden.

K: Correct! What was the title of Elyar Black's cancelled second studio album?
No clue. Was it called "Elyar?"

K: Ah, that one was wrong! It was titled "Expectations". His debut was titled "Elyar". Mandy, you scored a total of 4 out of 5! Pretty impressive. You know your stuff!
I'll take it! hehehe!

Faye: Now that K has shown of his knowledge, it's time for some more relaxed girl chat. Mandy, I want to talk to you a little bit about your love for music and how it has impacted your life. I want to know the music that made Mandy and what makes you tick. So, first, I'd like to take it way back. What is your very first memory of music?
Listening to my mom play the piano. I remember this from waaay back when. I remember being so young. It's one of the many memories I have of her since her passing that I still hold close to me.

Faye: Do you remember the very first album that you bought?
"...Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears. Such a defining album.

Faye: Are there any songs that hold a deep, emotional connection to you? Can be good or bad. A song that might make you really nostalgic over a period of time, remind you of someone you love, someone you'd rather forget...just something that gives you that knot in your stomach. A song that holds more weight than just being enjoyable.
"Vision of Love" and "Always Be My Baby" really just gives me that nostalgia and like you said, gives me that knot in my stomach. I always get in my feelings when I heard music by Mariah.

Faye: I'm going to give you the names of three artists. You can write a song for one, get one to feature on of your songs and one of them, you don't create with but you just sit and pick their brains about music. Nadia Berry, Joshua Grimmie and Amy Meyer.
I would love to write a song for Nadia. That would be such an honor! I'd feature on a song with Amy because the music she makes is really different than the music I make and I loooove trying new things. I'd pick Joshua's brain because he's outspoken and I'd love to hear what he says to say and get to know him better. His album is also really timeless innovative, I'd love to pick his brain about that. So yeah, those are all really good artists!

Faye: Lastly, what do you want people to take away when they play your new album?
That it's a story of love, heartbreak, overcome, among other topics and because of that that's what it makes it Electrified. I want people to take away that this album will hopefully inspire others to push through their dark days and and emerge electrified at the end of it all. I've poured my heart out and I want people to take that away when they hear this body of work. I also want people to take away that it's a closing of a chapter and an opening of a new one. I'm so thankful.

Faye: Mandy Williams, it has been a pleasure.
Thank you so much for having me. I had a wonderful time here today.

Edited by user 12 January 2021 00:51:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks 7 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 12/01/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 12/01/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 12/01/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 12/01/2021(UTC), kandii on 14/01/2021(UTC), RadioVine on 19/01/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/03/2021(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2021 01:54:47(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Yay, more podcasts! I'm glad someone started one before I could finally get mine off the ground lmao. I just always thought that's one of the things missing on this forum were podcasts. I find them kind of more interesting than just interviews because it's kind of just fun listening to people speak about stuff without visuals so I can make them up in my head lol, I don't know. But great job with all of this! It really has been a great album release for Mandy, we're getting a lot of background information and stuff that maybe I should have known but just didn't remember or pay that much attention but regardless it's a great way to get an in depth look of the character. I personally think the album release elevated her because I did not know all these facts about Mandy. I also loved the trivia game! I'm a trivia nerd so I hope whenever my artist can grab a spot I won't fail misterably Laugh
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 31/01/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/03/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2021 22:10:45(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage

K: Hello, gorgeous people! I'm Konstantin Lloyd but you can call me K.
Faye: And I'm Fayette Morgan, Faye if you're nasty.
K: And you're listening to Chart Heat Chat, a brand new podcast by music lovers for music lovers.
Faye: We have K-Pop royalty with us today, K. One of, if not THEE most successful K-Pop girl bands have decided to bless us with their presence. They've reached dizzying heights on the charts, their music has spread to all corners of the globe, they're no stranger to controversy or two and they've done it all whilst looking and remaining absolutely flawless.
K: Yes Faye, and they have just dropped their epic third and, sadly, final studio album after a lengthy legal battle. "When I Grow Up" finally dropped two months ago and while a triumphant return, it all has a rather bittersweet feel to it. Here to give us an insight into the music and their hectic lives, it's none other than the ladies of Mi•Mi!

EPISODE TWO: MI•MI - ALL GROWN UP

UserPostedImage

K: Misu, Miki, Mae and Daena; welcome to the show! How are you?

Mae: We are so excited to be here with you guys!

Misu: SO excited! Thank you for having us.

DAENA: I think we're all doing pretty good right now. All is well.

Faye: I feel like we're starting the show off the same way we did when we met Mandy Williams. That was a big comeback interview for her too. So I'll ask you ladies the same question I asked Ms. Williams. How does it feel to be back promoting a new record after so much time away from the promotion cycle?

Miki: It definitely feels different this time. Promoting music with content that is actually close to your heart has been really great so far because we finally feel heard.

Misu: I'm just glad this is our last time having to wait on 4 girls to get ready every morning! [laughs] If only you guys knew how early we have to wake up.

Faye: So, let's just jump right in to it and rip off the band aid. Get those difficult questions out of the way. What happened with SM Entertainment, ladies?

Mae: There were 3 main reasons why we had to free ourselves from that relationship.

DAENA: Yep. There were a lot of creative disagreements and they even wanted to kick me out of the group over a back injury.

Misu: Being an international group, it's like they wanted us in so many places at once to promote. Mi•Mi was constantly on the road and when not, had to take nonstop looong flights from here to there and back. Most of the sleep we've gotten in the last 8 years has been on a plane. We didn't have time to breathe.

Miki: And they didn't even want to pay us right! Had us splitting small ass percentages 4 ways! I can put up with a lot but playing with my girl's MONEY while you're making millions off of our names is where I draw the line!

Mae: It just wasn't a good situation all around. We're very thankful that our other supporting companies were more compatible for us. They couldn't save us from disbandment because SM Entertainment formed us all by themselves but both Five Pesky Kids and Dahlhouse Entertainment fought hard for us and made sure that the right thing would be done.

K: Dahlhouse Entertainment also went on a hiatus for a few years too. What happened with all of that? It all seemed to be running like a well oiled machine and then silence fell. Were you aware that things were going to slow down?

Misu: For Mi•Mi, as an individual act from the management company, things were already slowing down for us. They had to because after the release of The Show Must Go On, it became clear that SM Entertainment exercise full control over us if we had continued to work and would have sabotaged When I Grow Up, an album we knew wanted to tell our truth. We never saw the Dahlhouse hiatus coming but witnessing a company actually focus on our personal lives instead of money helped keep us, mentally. We didn't have to worry about coming out of our pockets or making anything back for those few years. We just got to take care of ourselves and learn how to live.

DAENA: Looking back, the timing just wasn't right in 2018 for us to continue being in the spotlight. Instead, it's like we got to go to summer camp! [laughs] We're very thankful.

K: Did you ladies ever feel stifled and disenfranchised at all? Fighting a giant like SM for years and then Dahlhouse falling silent, it must have been a very draining experience. Did you ever feel like admitting defeat?

Mae: At the beginning, we were very discouraged. Even though we took legal action, it still felt like there was nothing we could do. Dahlhouse going on hiatus made it clear to us that it was going to be a long fight but we had hope.

Faye: What was the atmosphere like in Camp Mi•Mi when you discovered that the courts had sided with you, Dahlhouse switched its lights back on and the album was finally coming out? I can't even imagine the sheer elation that must have been in the air.

Miki: The atmosphere was celebratory, for sure. We threw a huge party that same night!

Misu: Friends, family, everybody we knew was invited! We started to feel so loved all over again It was the end of an era but the beginning of some really beautiful times.

Faye: Now you're back with "When I Grow Up" - a fantastic album which we'll be diving into in just a few. First,
I want to play the title track and open our listeners' ears to some brand new Mi•Mi.

"When I Grow Up" by Mi•Mi plays

Faye: That was "When I Grow Up" by Mi•Mi from their new album of the same name. The response to the record has been amazing thus far. How does it feel seeing all the goodwill and the fans' response?

Mae: So many of our fans and artist friends really came back from the dead just to congratulate us on our last record. That showed us just how much of a legacy we really left behind. It's so much more important to us than anything else that everyone who was here with us from the beginning got to see all the progress we've made as a group.

K: If I'm correct in saying, some of the oldest songs on the record date back to 2015. Six years is a long time to cling onto some songs. What made those songs so special as opposed to some others that were culled over time?

Miki: It all came down to subject matter. One of the reasons there were no love songs on this album is because we felt like our fans deserved to hear the truth and directly addressing our situation was the truth we wanted to give. No fluff, no fillers, just what was really on our hearts throughout all this.

K: And of course, the single "The Show Must Go On" is nowhere to be seen on the tracklist. Dare I say that move was a middle finger to the record company?

Miki: You know it!

Misu: we really didn't like that song because it felt like a middle finger to us. DAENA was being pushed out of the group and the first single you demand us to put out is, "The Show Must Go On"? Come on, now.

Faye: I've got to say, the production is really lush on this record. Who did you work with on the album?

Mae: We had a newer producer GogoGigi on this album, a producer who I absolutely loved working with. On our more authentically K-pop tracks, she was great in creating a sonic vision that felt like home.

DAENA: Other than GogoGigi, we've always worked with the same producers on our albums. Big shoutout to FancyÑ, DrewWB, inZane and Flame 1&2.

K: There is this theme that all K-Pop groups are heavily manufactured, told what to sing, what to do, treated very poorly, and a whole bunch of other not very nice things. You all really pushed against that and fought for your own identity. How important is creative control to you? I want to know how hands on Mi•Mi get in the studio.

Misu: Creative control was very important to us, we fought for it every step of the way. There was a lot of "okay this is great, this is good, it's going on the album" and there was also a lot of rewriting songs, scrapping ideas, rethinking everything. In the end, we got what mattered most to us and that was a chance to use our own voices to say goodbye.

Faye: You're definite trailblazers in the girl group scene for sure. iCandy is a new K Pop group who seem to be following in your footsteps, breaking that mold, and making waves in all different markets. I love that you collaborated with them on the song "Be You" for this album. A real girl power moment. I know a lot of fans adore this song already. What was the idea behind getting together with iCandy and what was it like working with another all-female band?

Mae: Even in the beginning stages of this album, we wanted a big girl group collaboration. Initially, we considered SYNCO but we never really fleshed out the idea of the song. Of course, through the years they've disbanded and moved on from the group so then we thought, why not just collaborate with another K-pop girl group instead? We wanted to choose a group that was still active and making huge moves on their own and iCandy fit the bill without a doubt. I was honored to put them on my solo track, 'Be You'!

K: We'll be chatting to Mi•Mi some more in a few but first, here is the aforementioned "Be You" with iCandy.

"Be You" by Mi•Mi feat. iCandy plays

Faye: That was "Be You" by Mi•Mi and iCandy. My favourite song on the album follows this one, "Bird Set Free". Such a beautiful, emotional track. It brings tears to my eyes. It really feels like an ascension. The sense of freedom bottled and put into a song. Misu, you really did that! Just how important is that song to you and the story of Mi•Mi?

Misu: Words can't even explain how important "Bird Set Free" is on the album. As the lead singer of the group, I've always been a guiding light for the girls. I wrote that song so that whenever the girls are having trouble in their solo career or feel alone, they can just play it back and be reminded of how strong they are. We accomplished the impossible during our time in Mi•Mi, the song is truly a reminder that it's nothing we can't do.

K: Misu is the lead singer and you all have your roles. I suppose it differs with each group but I always wonder how bands delegate and make decisions when it comes to the music. There can be 3, 4, or 5 different opinions and tastes but ultimately you'd have to agree on the one thing. I was wondering how decisions are made in Mi•Mi.

Miki: The more successful you are, the more people that have to be involved in the music process. We always encourage each other to write songs beforehand so that as a group, we can decide on what we're going to present to the rest of the team.

Mae: The lead singer is always going to have the most say because, you know, it's already so many writers, producers, managers, A&R's, label executives and etc involved. We outsmart that by just letting Misu represent us as a group. When she makes a decision, it's never just about what she wants. It's something that we've all discussed prior and decided on, she's simply our voice.

K: You are all very talented, strong individuals. Did you ever find yourself getting lost after years of compromising and being 1/4 of Mi•Mi?

DAENA: Of course, for a long time we felt like we just had to be this perfect unit that was consistent and equally good at everything. Eventually, we did realize that it's okay to be 4 completely different women and the only way we could achieve harmony is by playing off of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Misu: Yeah, we got so much better at this when we made it a goal to really get to know each other and just let everyone individually shine at what they're individually good at.

Faye: Like K said, you are all individually strong and talented which brings me to the topic of solo projects. Miki, girl, you KNOW I couldn't go this entire podcast without bringing up your mixtape. "How To Get 'Em Heated" indeed! You had had ENOUGH! Tell me a little bit about that project and what fuelled that fire. No need to censor yourself, come on now.

Miki: Whew! Where do I start? See... I think as one of the more popular girls in the group, people assume that it must mean I'm treated well behind the scenes. Out of all of the girls, I had the hardest time getting a say, I mean I had to fight for lines in songs that I wrote! I'm a rapper in a K-Pop group, most of the time when I tried to add a verse I'd be told that the song is good without one. They'd ask me for a verse and I'd send it back just to be told that it was too vulgar or too aggressive for Mi•Mi's image. I'd just try to stick to singing by submitting regular songs and they'd suggest that DAENA or Misu would sound better on it instead of me...I couldn't take it anymore! They were doing us so wrong and giving me hell so I went behind their backs and recorded a lot of material with Rum, one of our producers. They tried me for the last time and I just dropped it.

Mae: It got us all in a lot of trouble [giggles] but it was worth it. We were proud of her, you could tell how liberated she felt after doing it.

K: Daena, you gave us "Team". Coke, Drew, Yasmine all involved in the creation of the track. Ms. Misu as well. Talk about star-studded. What was it like stepping out on your own for that release?

DAENA: It was a lot of pressure. I only got that opportunity because "THEY" were trying to kick me out of the group. Nobody aside from SM Entertainment wanted that to happen so we all banded together to make some magic and voila! I really had to prove myself with "Team" and I had this whole army behind me depending on me. My life was on the line but it all worked out like Anniken said it would.

K: Misu, you also released a couple singles in between the second and third Mi•Mi album, most notably "Fade Away" - a monster of a track, I must say. Being the lead in the band, what was it like doing it solo? Did you feel extra pressure because you had so much success upfront within Mi•Mi?

Misu: Um...nah. [laughs] I had released solo singles before and they didn't make much noise but I never minded. I never want to be ungrateful knowing that I was receiving privileges that the other girls were fighting for. When it went #1, I was shocked honestly but very appreciative of my fans.

Faye: And what about you, Mae? Did you ever feel tempted to release any solo material while seeing the other ladies do it?

Mae: I was content with not having any solo material out. I didn't mind rooting for all my girls. Now, it's a different story. I'm ready to take on the world on my own.

Faye: We'll be taking a trip further down memory lane with Mi•Mi right after we play this throwback joint. This is Mi•Mi with "Take It Off".

"Take It Off" by Mi•Mi plays

K: A classic. I remember when that initially leaked. How do you feel when you hear your older material? Are you the type that cringe or do you embrace it all.

Mae: We are definitely cringing.

Faye: "He Say She Say" really was the album that cemented your status in the pop world. What was the buzz like during that album cycle and how do you feel about that project today?

Miki: It was a moment, it was history. We had a lot of fun during that time, all considered.

Misu: To this day, we still feel like it was one of our greatest.

K: Like Faye said, that second album really took you to new heights. You even had a Weekend collab on there for goodness sake. Talk about fandom mayhem. I think that second album is when your fanbase really blew up and grew to an epic scale. You must have some crazy stories regarding experiences with them.

Mae: Yeaaa, we learned the hard way not to go to the mall without security. [laughs]

Misu: One time, we were in a traffic jam and once they realized who was in the truck, people literally hopped out of their cars to come to our window and ask for autographs and pictures. We ended up getting fined!

Miki: Woww, I remember that! Like, what the hell? If the people want to risk their lives and make a traffic jam 10x worse, that's them! Why do we have to pay?? [laughs]

Faye: Going even further back, way before the huge success and acclaim, I want to take you to when "In Our Youth" was in the works. I want to know what the goal was for Mi•Mi back then. How did you think it was all going to go? Did you achieve what you wanted to?

DAENA: In Our Youth had been in the works since we were 12 years old! Our only goal was to be successful as would any rookie group's goals. We just wanted people to love us and you know what? Most people did.

Faye: Fast forward to now. Your third and sadly, last album. We're here at "When I Grow Up". What is the goal these days? What do you want people to take away from this album and the journey of Mi•Mi?

Misu: We wanted this album to be a map for all the girl groups out there to flip through to help them take the best route to their destination. We were blessed to be in the position that we were and even more blessed to make it out.

DAENA: We just wanted to let everyone dreaming about taking this route understood what they should expect and the types of standards and boundaries they should set for themselves and those around them. We aren't the first to go through this and we won't be the last. Hopefully, this album will reach the ears of whoever is up next.

K: Why is this the last album, ladies?

Miki: Well, SM Entertainment is our home. Without them, this group would've never formed. When we decided to go through with this fight, we understood that we wouldn't be able to have our cake and eat it too. If we wanted to part ways with SM, we have to part ways with Mi•Mi.

Misu: It's okay though. We can now say that we've gotten the chance to do everything we've wanted to with Mi•Mi's music. All of us are ready for this change and we hope the fans are too.

K: Would you ever rule out a future reunion or tour?

Mae: Of course not! One of these days, we'll get together and do something big. We'll always be a unit, no matter what.

Faye: So, with the final album out, will you be taking a step back from the industry? Finding love perhaps?

Mae: Oh wow, don't make us blush. [giggles]

Misu: Absolutely not. We will be building our profiles as solo acts from here on out. No time to waste.

Miki: ...Damn, she's so cold-hearted.

Misu: Whaat? I'm the mom of the group. I have to make sure no one gets distracted!

Miki: You need to be distracted, girl.

DAENA: Don't get them started.

Faye: That's.. wonderful to hear. Well, we have one final song to play before K pieces together his music quiz and tests your knowledge. I'd like to hand the honour over to you ladies. Would you like to choose which final Mi•Mi track we play?

DAENA: We want to play "Step It Up", our latest single from the album!

"Step It Up" by Mi•Mi plays

K: OK, so I have the girls of Mi•Mi in the hot seat. They seem like pretty fearless ladies but will my game of chart knowledge be the one thing that actually breaks them? Where will they rank on our leader board? I have five questions but only four lovely Mi•Mi members in front of me. That means one of you will have to answer two questions. Who's the bravest? Ladies, who do you nominate?

Misu: Mae is the smart one!

Mae: Huh?? Since when???

K: OK, Mae, I'll give you the first and last question. First one. We're starting off easy. What is the name of iCandy's debut album?

Mae: Easy! Nolza is their debut album, I bought it and know all the words!

K: Correct! Daena, true or false? Mercedes, Tika Mays and Adam Black have never had a #1 single.

DAENA: Um... true?

K: Correct! Miki, The Zone were a four-piece American boy band consisting of; Blake Williams, Jason Ochoa-Steele, Chris Adams and ...?

Miki: Baby, I have no idea...Michael?

K: Sorry, Michael was a member of ELMNT. The correct answer I was looking for was Liam Allen. Misu, which of these artists have NOT appeared on a track with Payton? Andrea, Serenity Scott or Brittany Knox?

Misu: Serenity?? She's so sweet!

K: Correct! Finally, back to Mae. What are the full names of the ladies who go by the monikers of Rum & Coke?

Mae: Wow, maybe I am the smart one! Niña Rumillani Tarantino and Airemse Nicole Smith! We know the full government, they're on all of our royalties! [laughs]

K: Correct! Mi•Mi, you scored a total of 4 out of 5, tying with Mandy Williams!

Faye: Now that K has grilled your knowledge on other acts, I want to end the interview by bringing it back to you all. We're going to get a little more personal and delve into the music that made you and what makes you tick. My first question is; what is your earliest memory of music?

Misu: My earliest memory is of my twin brother Dae and I dancing to traditional music with our family. Good times.

Faye: Do you remember the first album you all bought?

DAENA: "The Great Rebirth" by Drunken Tiger! They were one of the first hip-hop groups in South Korea!

Faye: Is there a song or piece of music that resonates deeply with you because you associate it with a very specific time, moment or person in your life? Something that, as soon as you hear it, you're immediately transported back.

Mae: "Turn Up The Volume" by Weekend honestly got me through my first breakup. It randomly came up on shuffle the other day and I could feel it all over again, the need to avoid what was being said by using music as an escape. Ahh, they are really legends.

Faye: Nowadays we are starting to see more of a push with K-Pop into the mainstream Western market. We still have a long way to go but things have been really snowballing these last few years. I want to know, as talented young Asian women, do you remember when you first saw yourself represented in the media?

Miki: Good Morning America was one of the first American media outlets that embraced us and ever since then, we've visited them for every album. They showed us so much love and warmth when they didn't even know who we are. We are grateful for them.

Faye: What I love about you ladies is that you stand for a lot. You fly the flag for women, sisterhood, underrepresented minority groups and you also showcase hard work and dedication. Still standing after everything that has been thrown your way. There's a unity there and I love that. So, before we go, I really want to capture and embrace that love like a firefly in a bottle. I'd love for each of you to turn to the gorgeous lady next to you and say one thing you love about that member.

DAENA: Awww, okay okay I'll go first. One thing I love about Misu is that she is a born leader. No matter how hard the task, she steps up to the plate and looks out for everyone.

Misu: One thing I love about Miki is that she is like an older sister who gives great fashion advice and isn't afraid to war for you, even if it means breaking a nail.

Miki: One thing I love about Mae is that she is a quiet storm that you'd never see coming. People underestimate her and I think sometimes she underestimates herself but she is such a force to be reckoned with. Every day she surprises me by doing all of the things she thought she couldn't.

Mae: One thing I love about DAENA is that she is so fierce and she's just as strong as her voice. Watching her step into her own power is so motivating. She has no idea how many people out there she inspires.

Faye: Misu, Miki, Mae and Daena, it has been a pleasure. Thank you for stopping by Chart Show Chat.

Misu: Thank you for having us.

All 4: We are the B-E-S-T, Mi•Mi! *bows and poses*

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 15/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 15/03/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 15/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 15/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/03/2021(UTC), FiveT on 16/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 16/03/2021(UTC), kandii on 16/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 21/03/2021(UTC)