logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2021 09:58:20(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Studio album by Ryan Ross Hernandez
Released: March 12, 2021
Recorded: 2015 - 2017, 2021
Studio: Capitol Studios (Hollywood, California)
Electric Lady (New York City)
Oro y Plata Studios (Livingston, Montana)
Genre: Electropop, synth-pop, R&B, alternative R&B, pop, funk rock, post-disco, indietronica, country, soul
Length: 46:47
Label: Studio 60 Records
Producer: Ryan Ross Hernandez

Singles from Sex with Former Lovers

1. "The Younger Heart"
Released: February 19, 2016
Charts: #1

2. "Grandeur"
Released: March 5, 2021

Sex with Former Lovers is the seventh studio album by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. The album will be released on March 12, 2021, through Studio 60 Records and is the first of two solo LPs Hernandez plans on releasing this year. Hernandez first announced the album in early 2016, with its first single "The Younger Heart" releasing February 19, 2016. The album was originally canceled in its mastering stage a year later, mostly due to Hernandez's mother entering hospice care in March 2017. In the midst of recording its follow-up album, on February 22, 2021, "Controlled Substances" leaked online, causing a shift from Hernandez and Studio 60 Records to quickly plan a release for the completed, yet abandoned project. "The Younger Heart" will see a new album version, paired with "Point of View", a song that was teased by Hernandez on social media.

The album marks the first full-length LP released by the veteran musician since 2013's Traveling Tales. While Traveling Tales and its preceding album Break in the Clouds incorporated elements of folk and Americana, Sex with Former Lovers marks yet another change in Hernandez's musical style, shifting towards funk rock, electropop, and alternative R&B. The album's sound has a strong presence of synthesizers, drum machines, and vocoder usage. It also has influences of hip-hop and disco throughout.

From its initial announcement, the album title was a source of much speculation, given the many high-profile relationships he has been a part of since the late 2000s. Drawing from his highly-publicized life, Sex with Former Lovers is a loose concept album written around the tabloid speculation of his personal life, and the aftermath of breakups while being under the limelight. It is speculated that much of the inspiration came from his respective romances with former GirlSpice front woman Nadia Berry, pop singer Isabel Merjos, and country-pop artist Ellie-Grace Summers.

Background

Following the release of two albums in the span of sixteen months, between May 2012 and November 2013, and a world tour that kept him on the road for nearly two calendar years, Ryan Ross Hernandez admitted in a 2015 interview with Rolling Stone that he experienced an "anxiety bender" when the touring cycle ended and became more "isolated" with the world. Break in the Clouds received critical acclaim, earning multiple album of the year nominations. It was a huge commercial success, selling over six million copies in the United States, and spawning three top-ten singles - "Fighting Shadows", "California's Unknown", and "Another Shot of Whiskey". Traveling Tales had a more lukewarm reception from the public. While contemporary critics praised it as a rightful follow-up to the previous record, some found it as Hernandez playing it safe musically, and his songwriting uninspired. Commercially, while the album featured top-five single "Living in Fairytales", it failed to replicate the sales of his previous full-length LPs.

During this time, Hernandez's status as a celebrity skyrocketed, finding himself as a fixture on tabloid websites. His reputation took several blows after engaging in many public feuds with the likes of then head of Studio 60 Records Gia Rose-Hilton, British boy group The Weekend, songwriter and former friend Katie Coyle, among others. The fallout of some ill-advised loose lip interviews and social media misuse resulted in Hernandez removing himself from the public eye for years. His love life carried plenty of press, as he was romantically involved with several of his female counterparts, resulting in being branded a serial dater, womanizer, and cad.

Hernandez and Nadia Berry dated on-and-off for nearly three years starting in 2010, getting engaged in the fall of 2012, before calling it quits for good by the following summer. Izzy had a short-lived romantic relationship with the guitarist that ended sometime in 2014. In 2016 "The Younger Heart" was heavily speculated as being about his relationship with Izzy. Rapper Miami was involved with Hernandez in late 2015, before she confirmed that they had ended their romance in the spring of 2016. "Don't Read the Headlines", a track released in March 2016, is rumored to be about their time together. Serenity Scott was speculated to have dated him for a short period of time during this span too, after both were photographed together. His most criticized relationship was with then 18 year old country-pop singer Ellie-Grace Summers in 2011, while he was 33 at the time. The two met in 2010 when he produced her debut self-titled record and the pair collaborated later that same year on "Somewhere Between Love and Passing the Time" featured on Hernandez's Running Changes album. Both were scrutinized by the press. He received accusations of cheating, and more serious claims of grooming and abusing his stature in the industry, when some tabloids reported that the two had met when she was still underage. These claims have been refuted several times. Although the pair never officially confirmed their relationship, Hernandez publicly dismissed any wrongdoing on Summers' part during an interview in December 2011, when she was being targeted by the press in a negative light.

Writing and Recording

Originally believed to seek outside help for producing the album, due to its extreme shift in sound, Hernandez found the record to be "too honest" to have someone else behind the boards. "I want to record a song and have a good cry after. This album did not have the space to bring someone else in," he explained in an interview on After Dark with Cara Zayn in March 2016. The album was primarily recorded by himself at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles and his home studio in Livingston, with most of the session musicians recording at Electric Lady in New York City. "It is meant to sound loud, brash, poppy, and commercial," admitting that he was growing bored of the understated sounds of his previous two records.

The unapologetic pop sound is cited as a nod to his exes, "whether accidentally or by designed, if you remove Hernandez's voice from most of these songs, you can easily visualize them finding a home on a Izzy or [Nadia] Berry record, even some of Ellie-Grace Summers most recent work," wrote Madison Clark for Pitchfork in a review of the album.

The reoccurring themes throughout are sex, recreational drug use, binge drinking, jealously, heartbreak, and self-reflection. In a press release announcing the release of Sex with Former Lovers, Hernandez confirmed that while the first ten songs were written and recorded between late 2015 and early 2017, the closing track "According to Sources" was a last minute addition once the album was confirmed to release in March 2021. "It is meant to tie together the time span in which the majority of Sex with Former Lovers was written, and the last year of recording my next record," he explained, confirming that his eighth studio album will be released "within the next next nine months."

Artwork

Joseph Stevens of Billboard described the artwork as "a satire of [Hernandez] and everything you think you know about him." Most of the picture cutouts included are references to Hernandez's past, such as the shirtless shot that was the cover for his 2011 Rolling Stone interview, hugging ex-girlfriend Ellie-Grace Summers, and photographed by paparazzi's with ex-fiancée Nadia Berry, although none of their faces are shown. The artwork features many adjectives that he has been described as in the press, along with names of women he has been linked to. In a press release, Hernandez said the artwork was "a collage of basically what you find if you look up my name on the internet."

The cover art has received some criticism due to the direct mentions of some of his exes on it, some viewing it is cheap marketing, while others defend the decision stating that Hernandez is "beating the tabloids to the punch" already knowing what could be said about himself and the album upon its release. Sydney Robertson wrote for Rolling Stone that the main photograph of Hernandez proudly holding an electric guitar is a shot at longtime fans who have asked for his guitar heroics at live shows to make it onto a record, stating that it felt as if "[Hernandez] is in on the joke and doesn't care if it pisses you off."

Press Release

Ryan Ross Hernandez wrote:
LP7. Sex with Former Lovers. March 12th, 2021.

"It feels very strange to be writing this in 2021. This album was suppose to come out in the spring of 2017. It was about to enter the mastering stage in March of that year, before I decided to cancel the release entirely for an array of different reasons which most I won’t share. The main factor in my decision was my mother entering hospice care around that time. It did not sit right with me to go through a promotional cycle and tour in support of the LP, while my mom was slowly dying.

By the time she passed away later that same year, my focus was not on getting back into the public eye, so those songs slowly took a backseat in my mind. There were many conversations had between myself, my team, and Studio 60 Records regarding the fate of Sex with Former Lovers. As recent as last year we were discussing a possible format and correct timing to give you all this album. Fast forward to present day, we have reason to believe that whoever leaked that particular song that has been making the rounds has access to other tracks from this project. Soon into the renewed conversations, it became apparent that the only way forward was to release Sex with Former Lovers and doing so as quickly as possible, in order to preserve artistic rights.

Upon listening to some songs that had been collecting dust for years, I came to the conclusion that I was proud, as a musician, of the final product. I’ve realized that for the sake of you (the listener) getting the full story of myself as an artist and overall human being, it is a must to release this record. These songs were written during an odd period of my life. Selfishly, I also want this album out there for public consumption to no longer carry the weight of these stories. In healing, whether it be from pain you’ve been handed or dished out yourself, you have to clear your closet. It is the only way forward.

The artwork is a collage of basically what you find if you look up my name on the internet. If I had dropped this album a half decade ago, it would have been career suicide. There would have been no coming back because I would have taken the lit torch and burned it down myself. Maybe it was what I wanted at that point in time; To be forgotten. I am not the same man that I was when the bulk of these songs were written and recorded. That’s not my way of making any excuses either. These are time marked chapters of my life that deserve to be out in the wild.

It may very well not be your jam. I understand. Hopefully you’ll give me another listen in the future. The closing track "According to Sources" was recorded last month and it is meant to tie together the time span in which the majority of Sex with Former Lovers was written, and the last year of recording my next solo record.

To everyone who has continued to show me so much love and support over the years, even when I did not deserve it, I can never thank you enough. I have given everyone plenty of reasons to leave. Thank you for sticking by me."

Track Listing

1. "Postmodern Romance"
2. "Dissonance"
3. "Controlled Substances"
4. "The Younger Heart / Point of View"
5. "Loudest in the Room"
6. "Grandeur"
7. "Past Tense" (Fuck Love)
8. "In Delay"
9. "Questions I Never Asked You"
10. "According to Sources"

Edited by user 13 March 2021 14:07:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 11 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 05/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 05/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 05/03/2021(UTC), kandii on 05/03/2021(UTC), genocidal king on 05/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 06/03/2021(UTC), FiveT on 06/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 08/03/2021(UTC), Mckenzie- on 20/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2021 00:01:35(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Song by Ryan Ross Hernandez
from the album Sex with Former Lovers
Title: Postmodern Romance
Genre: Electropop
Length: 3:34
Songwriter: Ryan Ross Hernandez

"Postmodern Romance" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the opening track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. The song was written and produced by Hernandez between his home studio in Livingston, Montana, and Capitol Studios in Hollywood. It is one of three instances on the album where Ryan is responsible for playing all the instruments on the song. "Postmodern Romance" is an upbeat electropop synth-driven track, with a dance-hall beat around it. It has elements of hip-hop and R&B attached to it, incorporating bouncy keys, Afropop percussion, and openly sung vocals through an Auto-Tune processor. Thematically, the song touches upon the central album themes of sex, relationships, and self-loathing. Hernandez explores dating in the 21st century with each verse discussing a different relationship.

Contemporary critics received "Postmodern Romance" with mixed reviews upon album release. Some praised Hernandez's experimentation with using synths, drum machines, and vocal effects, deeming the song as one of the catchiest in the singer's discography. Others were not impressed with the final result, calling the production bland and a weak album opener compared to previous releases by Hernandez. Overall, most critics agreed that lyrically, the track sets the tone for the rest of the record. There is speculation that the song references pop singer Nadia Berry and country-pop artist Ellie-Grace Summers.

"While composing Sex with Former Lovers, I became enamored with the idea of building these very upbeat, danceable songs, and having lyrics that are the counter opposite of that. It's a social experiment in a way for me to see the reaction of people and where their respective consumption of music takes them. To me, it is just a fun song to listen to and play, at least when I can disconnect myself from it. There's not another song in my discography that is this unapologetically poppy and I love that about it. On the surface, it may sound like a fairly simple structure, but it has a lot of layers to it. It took around five or six months to get the arrangement right. The idea for this track came to me while I was touring in Europe, and at the time I had started seeing someone, just as I had to leave for two months. The song isn't about that relationship but rather the conceptual notion of dating in the 21st century and how vicious it can be. You have all these ways to stay in touch and connected, but is it a good thing or is it overbearing? Everybody who dates in this era is guilty of looking up an ex on Instagram. If you say you haven't, you're lying to yourself."

Postmodern Romance

Falling asleep to the sound of former lovers
Videos of them AirPlay on an endless loop
‘Til they haunt your dreams and turn to nightmares

Do you remember the first girl that ever held your hand?
The childish secrets you’d share with each other after school
That one moment you swore you’d marry her one day when you’re both older
This was way before you knew how much you needed sex to keep a romantic love alive
This was way before you knew how much you used alcohol to drown your depression
You searched her name a few times in recent years
She was so unique in your eyes back then
Now you find over hundred different girls who share the same name as her
But none of them are ever the right one

That one time you loved someone more than life itself
That tear that never fell
The memories are surrounding you
The memories are ready to kill you

‘Til they haunt your dreams and turn them to nightmares

Cybersex, camming, phone sex, sexting
All that fake touch no longer stimulates your mind or even gets you hard
It’s been over a month since you last had sex
She was a two-night fling, you can’t remember her name now
She spent forty-nine hours at your place
She had some Adderall that she split with you
She sent you a naked picture a few days later
You only masturbated to it once
Then you deleted it and blocked her number

There once was a time where you wanted a monochromatic kind of love
That one woman who had an accent and almost no bad habits
She wanted a family home, a wedding ring, and a few kids
You accused her of living in fairytales
The truth is she wanted the same things you do now
It took you so many years to realize that I was the one in the wrong
You wanted to fuck other women, she wanted to stop you from being my own worst enemy
She had a thing for boys who play guitar, you had a thing for girls who loved the idea of you

‘Til they haunt my dreams and turn them to nightmares

The accusations attached to the report are disheartening
Your eyes went from turquoise blue to ruby red in an instant
Your head nor your feet have touched the ground in months
You’ll always have a place to stay in Montana if you ever need to reset
Turn off your phone and I’ll make you a cup of coffee

That one time you loved someone more than life itself
That tear that never fell
The memories are surrounding you
The memories are ready to kill you

You fell asleep with a gun in your hand ‘cause you never know when you’ll need it
The soundtrack in your head is stuck on repeat once again
Am I finally becoming a better person or will I always have some asshole tendencies?
Red versus Blue, White versus Black, Reality versus Sobriety
The world feels like it’s finally ending anyways
So call up all your exes and try to get yourself some

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 08 March 2021 00:02:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 08/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 08/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 08/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 09/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), Mckenzie- on 20/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2021 04:36:06(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: Dissonance
Genre: Electropop, post-disco, dance-pop
Length: 4:00

"Dissonance" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the second track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. The song was written and produced by Hernandez across the three studios that were his hubs for recording this album, Hollywood, New York City, and his home in Montana. While some songs on the album took months to complete, "Dissonance" was done within a few days after it was demoed with every instrument other than guitars recorded at Electric Lady studios. It is one of the more upbeat songs on the album, musically using elements of electropop, post-disco, and dance-pop to construct a loud, cinematic-like sound. Building on a stripped down piano and vocal start, before the first chorus kicks in to create a thundering dance track. Hernandez delivers a memorable performance vocally, experimenting with his voice, singing most of the song with an angry rasp and self-harmonizing throughout. "Dissonance" along with the following track "Controlled Substances" are strongly rumored to be about former GirlSpice front-woman Nadia Berry and the failed engagement Hernandez's had with the singer. The lyrics describe possible infidelity and the aftermath of a breakup.

The song received received acclaim from contemporary critics, most of whom who lauded the production and vocal performance by Hernandez. Madison Clark of Pitchfork felt the song was "Hernandez's version of Robyn's "Dancing on My Own" with a more earnest delivery," and calling it as a highlight on the album. In a less favorable review, Billboard's Sydney Robertson wrote that "Dissonance" is a "prototypical bad boy song that Ryan Ross Hernandez has built the last ten years of his career on," describing it as "honest, yet uninspired" songwriting effort.

"When I wrote "Dissonance" that's when I knew this record was going to have a much different soundscape from everything else I've done in my career. I've always had this strange relationship with being a pop star and being a guitarist. I know some people love when I jam out and play a ten minute guitar solo at a concert, but that's never going to make it on a record because at the core of it I'm a pop artist. As a pop artist, my goal is to try and capsule my feelings in a three to six minute song length. With this song, I was messing around on the piano, which I'm not an expert whatsoever but I wanted to challenge myself because very few of my songs have ever started on piano. I had this idea of wanting the chorus to be sonically massive and a lot of the elements you hear to accomplish that are inspired by dance anthems. Those songs that you can put on in the car or at a party and everyone you're with knows the words and can dance to it. That's not me suggesting that "Dissonance" will become that some day. The song was just born out of that. The lyrics are pretty straightforward. They are a brutally honest account of a breakup, while the smoke still lingers."

Dissonance

Your best friend's friend hit me with those eyes
The kind that you know will only lead to trouble
She chatted me up with a glass of vodka neat in hand
I gave her one look from head to toe
'Fore I knew it she was pulling me in for a kiss
And I grabbed her hips 'cause I'm easy to tempt

And I'm sorry if those are the words you don't want to hear
You always wanted honesty, so here it is
It's the best I can give you after all this time
I know that it still stings to hear my voice come on
Your friends still want me dead
And I'm doin' my best to disappear

The moment I knew that this would never last
It was late Summer and you were talking wedding invitations
I disconnected from the conversation
You were counting down the days 'til ever after
I was mustering up the courage to end it
We broke up on a Wednesday
The tears ran dry by Saturday
I already had a date set up for the following Friday

That Google search will always have my name suggested next to yours
I know we'll never get to a place where we will speak again
The last words you told me in a shouting rage linger on
As does your perfume in my bedsheets for months after you left
You know there's plenty of sex without love
But there's no love without sex
So I'll keep sleeping around until I find it again

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 09 March 2021 06:37:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 09/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 09/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 09/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 09/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), Mckenzie- on 20/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2021 12:43:21(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: Controlled Substances
Genre: Funk rock, new wave
Length: 4:43

"Controlled Substances" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the third track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. The song originally leaked on February 22, 2021 on YouTube before being taken down due to copyright infringement a few hours later. It eventually made it onto music sharing website SoundCloud the following day. The leak of "Controlled Substances" created a domino effect in the once canceled album being released, as Studio 60 Records and representatives for Hernandez scrambled to release the record, believing that there was a potential for further leaks to come. Compared to the demo version that surface online, there are not any notable changes, aside from an additional chorus added and an overall more crisp recording.

A funk rock and new wave song, "Controlled Substances" is built around a charming guitar riff, kick-petal drum beat, and dreamy synthesizers. The song's production consists of funk-inspired guitars slipping in and out and a lo-fi vocal performance in its verses, before becoming clear in the chorus. Lyrically, the song is a burn-off to a former lover, who many speculate to be pop singer Nadia Berry, while also lightly touching upon his follow-up relationship with singer and actress Isabel Merjos in its bridge.

Upon release, "Controlled Substances" received positive reviews from critics, who praised the song's production, some considering it a throwback in style to Hernandez's time as a member of American pop-punk band PANIC!. While it was well-received by contemporary critics, fans have been more critical of its lyrical content, with some calling out Hernandez as hypocritical. Most of the negative remarks have come due to the lyric "you had a prescription to offset the troubles in your brain" in the pre-chorus, which some believe is Hernandez making light of Berry's publicized battle with bipolar disorder. Ryan has been outspoken about his own mental health issues, so the belief that he is belittling someone else's problems has stir up some debate.

"Both "Dissonance" and "Controlled Substances" were born out of the same vein. They were recorded during the same weeklong recording session. I was in a state of mind, as a songwriter, to not get carried away with some fancy wordplay or worried about the markability factor. I wanted both songs to be direct. Both touch upon the same relationship, so it was important to have them one after the other on the album. And they work well together sonically too. "Controlled Substances" has this infectious groove, which is just fun to play on guitar. I wanted to give this song some space to breathe. I did not want to overpack it. If I ever decide to perform it live, I think there are a lot of cool peaks and valleys that you can build with it. The only thing I will add about the theme of the song is that everybody has their own truth. I'm singing about my truth in this song. It's not for everyone. It won't make you like me any more or less than you do before hearing it. As much as I wish people could disconnect their opinion of me when listening to my music, I know that will never be the case."

Controlled Substances

Big city girl in a small town
Big dreams painted up in a small frame
You haven't seen me at my worst yet
Everything you've known about me is mild still
You should've listened to your friends but you never did
You bought fully into all my lies
I drove the car off the cliff
Don't worry about me
I escaped just in time without a scratch
I watched the flames destroy your high hopes
You gotta get down from that high horse
I'll accept half the blame if you do the same

You wanted to live the suburban American dream
Well you were already halfway there before you even met me
You had a prescription to offset the troubles in your brain
You couldn't hold your liquor and were attracted to bad boys
You were only living in the wrong country and sleeping with proper Brits
Instead of assholes like me
Sorry honey, welcome to your American nightmare

Shit, you really believed me when I said I had changed
That I was done fuckin' around and being a mess
Did that diamond ring cloud up your better judgement?
Women like you always get hurt by guys like me
It's a story as old as time
Girl meets boy, girl falls in love, boy breaks her heart
At least we're both old enough to recognize it was time to move on

A glass of red wine and some puff is all I need to sleep
A girl from the gulf coast introduced me to blow some years ago
I couldn't keep up but I still needed that kind of living
You think I'm narcissistic for how I carry myself
I think you're the same as me
You're only better at keeping it concealed
And that pretty little face makes you look like an innocent
Hope you enjoy being the self-righteous one

There you go, you can say you lived the suburban American dream
You wanted to go all the way with me
A love story with some babies and a dog
While you still took prescriptions to offset the troubles in your brain
You still can't hold your liquor but you gave up on the bad ones
You moved back to your birthplace and went back to dating bores
Instead of assholes like me
Sorry baby, farewell to your American dream

It's a tale as old as time

Now I will admit
It's fucked up what I did
A few months from the last time I saw your face
I saw your best friend in a crowded room
And all I could focus on was her
I felt a little shame until it turned to
Friday nights, hot sex, in the moonlight
You can hold the gun to my head but I committed no crime

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 09/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 09/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 09/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 09/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2021 22:19:24(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: The Younger Heart / Point of View
Genre: Indietronica, synth-pop, R&B, funk
Length: 7:58
4:12 (The Younger Heart)
3:46 (Point of View)

"The Younger Heart / Point of View" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the fourth track on his seventh studio album, Sex with Former Lovers. "The Younger Heart" was previously released as a single in February 2016, with more of an acoustic country twang, and spanned over six minutes in length alone. The album version is described by Hernandez as a "reimagined, hyper frantic" synth-pop and indietronica song, consisting of looping drums, synthesizers, and every vocal heard being layered to create a booming effect. The unexpected change was done for the song to fit more accordingly to the overall sound of the record, while also providing a fresh take on the original song that was released over five years prior. Upon its original release, the song drew some controversy for its uncensored candor on sex, presumably written based on his relationship with pop singer Isabel Merjos.

After a synth heavy transition, the song shifts to its "Point of View" portion, a moody R&B track with psychedelic guitar riffs and a hip-hop inspired beat, featuring the only prominent guitar solo on the album. In relation to the former, "Point of View" shifts thematically to an intimate account of fame, mental health, and mortality. The final verse is believed to be added shock value for the tabloids to read into and analyze, as Hernandez mentions in the track, while also capsulizing the overall themes of sex, drugs, and alcohol found throughout the album. Some fans believe that the pairing marks a shift of muses, with some speculation that subtle references are being made at rapper Miami, who the guitarist dated for a handful of months between 2015 and 2016.

The updated version of "The Younger Heart" along with its companion song "Point of View," received acclaim from contemporary critics, who commended Hernandez's fearless songwriting and musicianship, some comparing the seamless sonic shifts to American singer-songwriter Joshua Grimmie's second studio album "GOLDENHEART." Critics found the album take of "The Younger Heart" to be more authentic to the overall aesthetics of Sex with Former Lovers, many agreeing that it should have been the single rather than the stripped-down recording. "Point of View" was described by Pitchfork as a "trippy, drug-fueled R&B song" with lyrics that will soon flood social media posts.

"The song that both saved my career and nearly ruined it. I dealt with a severe lack of creativity between the completion of "Traveling Tales" in 2013 and the time when "The Younger Heart" was recorded almost three years later. I was touring nonstop. I felt burned out physically and mentally. At the time, I didn't know if I wanted to record another album or tour ever again, until I wrote "The Younger Heart." That song saved my career in the sense that it gave me a shot of adrenaline when I needed it most. It nearly ruined it because of all the other bullshit attached to it, which I won't go into. The new version of the album I recorded probably a year or so after the single came out. Once I had the direction I wanted to take this LP on, I knew I wanted to change it up with "Younger Heart" and make this reimagined, hyper frantic indie-pop song. If any song on this record survives the test of time when it comes to being played at shows, it's this one. I could only pair "Point of View" with "The Younger Heart," that much came rather natural when I had this notion floating around. If "Younger Heart" is the most vulnerable song I've ever released up to that point, then "Point of View" is this whole other monster where it felt like I was free-styling more than I was singing. In my mind, it is an almost indirect response to everything that has been said and written about my songs and their supposed subject matters."

The Younger Heart

Could you see my hands shake
When I opened the front door for you?
Where I showed you a part of my life
That I keep far away from the view of everyone
I still have the artsy, naked pictures I took of you there that early morning
Your raven hair uncombed, you had no make-up on
But your smile could shine this whole place
While the sunlight crashed against your soft, gentle skin

Your thin fingers tracing over my chest
Like you were designing what my next tattoo should be
My hands roamed all over your body that night
You wore a buttoned-up shirt and a pair of your ripped jeans
When you stole my hat, you looked right out of the dream woman
The one I always envisioned in my head
You came to life on the quietest of nights

How many times do we gotta fuck before we can call it love?
'Cause somewhere between the cracks of sunshine that hit your tanned skin
As you sleep so soundly, so peacefully
And the way your lips kissed mine
Between moans the night before
It makes me believe that this could be the start of us
Falling into something
Something that we could call love

Are there nights when you still think about me?
Does my name ever come up in conversations?
Is my number still on your phone?
'Cause you can't just erase me from your memory
You can't mask all those nights we spent together
From the bedroom
To the kitchen
To having you up against the shower wall while the steam surrounded us
You can't replicate those lazy winter days in Big Sky
You can't forget those stolen kisses and spilled glasses of wine
While we danced in Los Angeles on a rainy night in
Have you thrown out the flannel shirt you kept after our third date?
The one that was always covered in your strands of hair

And I should have been more honest with you
I tried to make you believe my life was altogether and the sail wasn't torn
When in reality I was falling apart when you weren't around
I'm not proud of my past still defining who I am today or who I was to you

Falling into something

Maybe it's for the best now
After all this time has passed between then and now
I fell in love with someone who left
And I'm the only one to blame once again
While I heard through mutual friends
That you went back to your ex-boyfriend
And I just smirk because you deserve to find the love we were never able to make

Some nights I still wonder what could have been
Sometimes romance is all about timing, which we never got right
I think you were swallowed up in some guilt of a past ghost in our lives

Falling into something

How many times do I have to make you cum before you can forget about him?
'Cause somewhere between your eyes shut, head hanging back
With my head between your legs
You were biting your lips so hard that you drew blood
Was that because of the way I made you fly and feel alive?
Could we have been starting something that night?
Or was it your fear of saying his name as I ate you out?

Maybe I'm a selfish piece of shit who could not set his eyes on somebody else
Maybe you got scared of actually falling in love with someone like me
Maybe you never got over that other guy whose name I just can't place
Maybe there's no one to blame here and life just got in the way like it usually does
But maybe we were just a phase in each other's lives
You learn from it and keep on changing

---

Point of View

Tell me how much money do I need to make
So it can outweigh the pain
'Cause if money buys happiness
I still haven't found a store that sells it
If I could be happy all the time
Would I even want it?
I'm never in the moment enough to recognize my own happiness
Everything is fleeting like my mind, like my love, like my time on this Earth
Fuck if I know what I want while I'm here

Please let me just play my music with no preconceived notion
Please let me just have some sex with no strings
Please let me just drink some whiskey with no chaser
My whole life has been a movie and I'm trying to figure out what the ending will be
Will it come all natural?
Will it come from the family tree?
Will it come thanks to my bad habits?
Will it come disguised as an escape?
Will I do it to myself?
Will that hurt you later more than I'm hurting now?
It's never the answer but the question has been lingering on my mind
Yeah, the question has been hangin'
Kick the chair out

Can I call you when this episode ends and I feel like myself again?
That goes to all my former lovers
I'm not being selfish, I'm only caught up in my head
Where my problems stack up like towers with no windows
No light cracking through, only darkness everywhere
But that's not what they want to hear from me
That won't get them any hits on their website
That won't get any likes on social media
So here's a verse to analyze on your podcast

She's drug lusting and likes that I have my own demons
She used benzodiazepine as her savior
The sunshine annoyed you in the morning
You rather have that light running through your veins
Hotel California can't compare to what you pack
The views behind you make it feel like I'm shooting a POV porno every time we fuck
You always joked that my ex could barely hold a glass of wine
Now here you are drinking bottles of flavored rum
Were you really about that life or were you trying to impress me?
We saw your ex out on the town once
We made out in front of him and you told me to smack your ass
That night we had a foursome with your best friend and her best friend

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 09/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 10/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 10/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 10/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2021 09:28:12(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: Loudest in the Room
Genre: R&B, pop
Length: 3:41

"Loudest in the Room" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the fifth track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. It marks a slight music shift on the record, as it continues with the R&B sound that "Point of View" began the previous track. The song was one of the later additions to the album, being recorded in early 2017, with some production tweaks taking place in February 2021. Written and produced by Hernandez himself, it is an R&B and pop song, carrying a pulsing continuous synth line, programmed drums, and distorted vocals at various points. The song possess one of the more hip-hop feels on the album, Hernandez bouncing between verses in almost spoken fashion, before singing more traditionally in a slight falsetto on the chorus.

Contemporary critics praised the song's production and many viewed it as a change of pace songwriting for the singer. On the latter, Travis Perry of New York Times described the song as "an angry response to an exes actions, not dissimilar to [Joshua] Grimmie's "SURPRISE!", while USA Today critic Stephen Smith said "Loudest in the Room" was "all burn" and no "self-reflection" referencing the overall theme of Hernandez owning up to his own flaws, which is not the side taken on this song. On the production side, some writers saw the song as being done in the same vein and about the same subject matter as its follow-up song "Grandeur", with both having a careless, breezy sound to them, and scathing lyrics.

"I wanted to write a song as if I were a hip-hop artist. I'm never going to rap, there's no Ry-Ry Rizzle rap album coming out. However, I've always had a lot of respect for hip-hop and the freedom that comes with that genre. Obviously, I've written songs in the past that are completely uncensored, such as the rest of this album for example. This track has more of a diss factor to it though, which I've rarely done in my writing before. "Loudest in the Room" was probably the first song that I've ever constructed entirely around a beat. I had this boppy R&B-like beat and added some synths around it to give it this futuristic vibe. I was tweaking it for a few months, but it turned out pretty cool. If you know me, for the last twelve or thirteen years, I've dated women in this industry and most of those relationships never felt like I was a celebrity in them. They felt very natural. This song is about a toxic relationship that is caught up in fame and the dark side of that, on both sides. It wasn't healthy for either party and it ended without anyone bringing those issues up, so the same mistakes were likely repeated in the future with others. Some of the lines do come off as a bit cocky but it fits the vibe that I was trying to create with this song. I wanted to drive home the story, even if it made me look like a jerk in the process."

Loudest in the Room

Please make a line to remind me how much you hate me
Isn't it bad enough that I have to see pictures of you all the damn time?
You'll argue otherwise 'cause you're an angel and everybody believes you
Your cheeks got bright red when I mentioned sex in a song
"Oh my god, that's so scandalous!"
"That R-R-H, he's such a bad influence!"
But nobody ever saw when you would lose your shit on me
Throw a glass across the room when things don't go your way
Your parents spoiled you to bits when you were a kid
They deserve some credit in your personality flaws

Some days I wish you were somebody else
I wish you could turn it on and off so easily with me like you do in public
You're calling someone to tell them how much I suck
If I were you and you were me
I think you might see it differently

The devil says he can’t take it anymore, well neither can I
You can go on and live your pretty little life from afar
Don't worry everyone will still blame me at the end
'Cause I'll keep pleading the fifth and you'll keep running your mouth

Super Bowl weekend, party after party, we'd be drinking 'til sunrise
Ain't it funny when you're rich, you get almost everything for free?
You got your crew taking pictures of you at every outing
Get the angles just right so the photoshop is minimal
The more time I spend with you, the more I miss my ex
I know how much you hated seeing her

Are you trying to make me jealous with your fucking games?
You must have forgotten who I am
I'm that R-R-H who haunts the hills
I have unlimited access to sex in every major city
Private beachfront house for the weekend, sex on the beach 'round the clock
I'm that motherfucker who was here before you and still will be after you
Fuck your subtleties!

The devil says he can't take it anymore, well neither can I

You and all your friends are living it up in the height of youth
Wait, do they really got your back or are they around for the perks?
Your milk chocolate eyes turn pitch black when you get angry
Maybe one day you won't see me as the enemy anymore
If that day ever comes, you can find me at the same bar we broke up
I’ll have your cosmopolitan ready
I really fucking doubt it but believe people change every few years like the fashion trends

Some days I wish you were somebody else
I wish you could turn it on and off so easily with me like you do in public
You’re calling someone to tell them how much I suck
If I were you and you were me
I think you might see it differently

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
RoseJapanFan on 10/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 10/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 10/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 10/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 11/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2021 22:52:10(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Single by Ryan Ross Hernandez
Title: Grandeur
Released: March 5, 2021
Genre: Pop, disco, alternative R&B
Length: 5:02

"Grandeur" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the sixth track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. It was written and produced by Hernandez. The song was released for digital download and onto streaming services as a promotional track on March 5, 2021, the day after the album was confirmed, and a week before its release, without any prior announcement. It was also sent as a surprise track via e-mail to anyone who had pre-ordered the vinyl pressing of the record.

The song delivers on the promise of Sex with Former Lovers being the most "commercially pop" album Hernandez has ever released, featuring the most synthesizers that we've ever heard on a song by the musician. Grandeur is an understated pop song, with crisp and airy production. It carries a disco and R&B funk to it, from its thumping drums, finger-picking bass, groovy guitar licks throughout. It has has no big drop or key changes, staying at its same rhythm for its runtime. Grandeur is led at the helm by the soulful vocal delivery that Hernandez performs on it, his harmonies fading in the song's outro.

Lyrically, the track touches upon the subjects of fame, the aftermath of a breakup, and reckless alcohol and drug usage. The central theme of sex is also touched upon. The chorus is a direct shot at the image tabloids have built of him, while also bragging about his own success, especially when compared to someone an ex-girlfriend of his is dating after him. Unlike previous songs heard off the album such as "The Younger Heart" and "Controlled Substances", Grandeur is more subtle on who the subject matter may be, although listeners began to formulate theories online shortly after its release.

The song received universal critical acclaim from reviewers. Travis Perry of New York Times named "Grandeur" as "one of the most ambitious and among the best songs" Hernandez has composed. In an early review of Sex with Former Lovers, Madison Clark of Pitchfork complimented the song's "infectious dance groove" as a standout moment on the album. USA Today critic Stephen Smith commended the song as "the perfect balance of braggadocio (reminiscent of his PANIC! days) and brutally honest songwriting approach", while Heather Sandberg of Billboard called it an "undeniable" earworm that will get your head bopping. Writing for the LA Times, Jason Williams praised its use of synthesizers, commenting "when Hernandez commits to a particular sound, he goes all in on it." Rolling Stone's Sydney Robertson wrote that the song is one of the "cleanest" vocal performances Hernandez has delivered, complimenting the falsetto delivery during the pre-chorus and outro. Insider writer Sebastian Santos admired the song for its "hip hop-esque" songwriting approach, highlighting the "inner battle" between Hernandez's celebrity status. On the contrary, Annabelle Olsen of AllMusic criticized the lyrics, calling the chorus "lazy," while stating that the song's saving grace was the music behind it.

"This album, more than any other I've recorded, has certain songs that would not exist without others existing in the same universe. There is probably no greater example of that in my eyes than the one-two punch of "Loudest in the Room" and "Grandeur", the latter of which is somewhat of a nod towards my days in PANIC!. That entire chorus is very much written in the same mindset that a lot of the mid-2000s PANIC! songs were set in. Those shamelessly braggadocio lines are probably a good reason why some folks still think I'm an asshole. At its essence however, it is a dark deception of fame. So while the chorus may romanticize being an entertainer, the verses counter that argument. Before anyone asks me, the boy band comment is not aimed at Weekend or any other modern group like them. Those dudes are cool. I'm talking about the clean-cut version of being in a boy band, like late 90s NSYNC or Backstreet Boys. Sometimes I go into the recording booth with these holes in my lyrics that I kind of improvise with whatever comes to mind at that moment. Most of the bridge for this song was done on the spot. I wanted "Grandeur" to have this Michael Jackson feel to it, sonically speaking. That's why most of the song is sang in falsetto. There's no vocal distortions or strange manipulations. The goal was to keep my singing as clean as possible. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics much, I'm pretty sure this song is something you can play while you're having sex."

Grandeur

Sleep three hours, call it a night
I’m falling on unhealthy ways to cope
Drinkin’ ’til I forget everything
Do a line of coke and split a molly
Have some sex and not remember her name
That’s not the best light to see me in
It’s a dangerous game every time in Los Angeles

You’re terrified whenever I’m in town
You’re scared about seeing my face somewhere
It’ll take you right back to the moment you fell in love with me
And in the same vein the moment I let you down
My sorry gets lost in all my grandeur

Ain’t my fault that girls born in the 90s love my style
Ain’t my fault that I’ve aged like fine wine
Ain’t my fault that Michelin star restaurants always got a table for me
Ain’t my fault that I can sellout a stadium in two minutes and your man is struggling with theater capacity
Ain’t my fault that your husband or wife fantasizes about me
Ain’t my fault that in my forties I do it even better than a twenty-one year old

You accuse me of ghosting you whenever I was on tour
At least my career isn’t fictional like your boyfriend’s
I could have treated you a lot better but it’s too late now
There’s not enough liquor in the world to drown out all the noise
I lose myself on the regular while you keep on being so composed
I fucking hate it when you act all proper
Only I know every inch of your body with my mouth

You’re terrified whenever I’m in town
You’re scared about seeing my face somewhere
It’ll take you right back to the moment you fell in love with me
And in the same vein the moment I let you down
My sorry gets lost in all my grandeur

Ain’t my fault that I can sellout a stadium in two minutes and your man is struggling with theater capacity
Ain’t my fault that in my forties I do it even better than a twenty-one year old

I will never be a role model
You better call somebody else if you want that boy band, heartthrob shit
I’m still racking up the hits and occupying screen time
You didn’t want me to lie
Although you grew to loathe who I really am
You were in Vegas with my ex-girlfriend to see my ex-girlfriend
It’s a little ironic given all the shit you spoke about them
It’s not my place to call you out, baby
I’ll leave it open-ended like the book of you and I
Do you wanna fuck again?

(It ain’t my fault that girls born in the 90s love me)
(It ain’t my fault that I’m top shelf)
(It ain’t my fault that I always got a table)
Ain’t my fault that I can sellout an arena in a minute and your man is struggling with theater capacity
(It ain’t my fault that my fans are loyal)
(It ain’t my fault that your spouse fantasizes about me)
(It ain’t my fault that at forty I still do it better)

It ain’t my fault, baby
It ain’t my fault
It ain’t my fault, babe
It ain’t my fault
It ain’t my fault, honey
It just ain’t my fault

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 10 March 2021 22:57:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
RoseJapanFan on 11/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 11/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 11/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 11/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2021 01:47:35(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: Past Tense (Fuck Love)
Genre: Synth-pop
Length: 6:07

"Past Tense" (Fuck Love) is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the seventh track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. The song is the second eldest to end up on the album, conceptualized in 2015, and recorded in early 2016, right after the single version of "The Younger Heart". The music video for the aforementioned, features a snippet of "Past Tense", which at that point was considered to be the title track for the entire project. An instrumental version of the song was performed live at various shows over his 2015-2016 An Intimate Night with Ryan Ross Hernandez tour.

It is a synth-pop ballad with a dreamy key melody and haunting vocal samples. At its first chorus, the song picks up with a looping programmed drum beat that continues through the rest of the track. The electric guitar licks are complimented by a hand clap effect in the background that fades in and out at various points. Hernandez sings in a rather calm demeanor the entire song, slightly raising his pitch for the chorus. Thematically, the song is written in an effort to dismiss love as an unnecessary notion emotionally, physically, and mentally. It is speculated that the lyrics reference various of Ryan's exes, including rapper Miami, country-pop artist Ellie-Grace Summers, and pop singer Izzy.

Upon the album release, "Past Tense" became a fan-favorite and garnered widespread acclaim from music critics, with praise towards the understated vocal performance by Hernandez, rich instrument arrangement, agonizing lyricism, and complex production. Music critics picked it as a standout on Sex with Former Lovers, questioning why it was not a single choice, believing it will be the song that is most remembered on the album. "There is no façade put up unlike other moments on Sex with Former Lovers, this is Hernandez at his most vulnerable, reminiscing on past relationships with a knot in his throat," Heather Sandberg of Billboard wrote, going on to explain, "the bridge is devastating when you read into it, as he goes through a checklist of things he desires such as money, sex, alcohol, but is unable to check off love, both for himself and romantically." Rolling Stone's Sydney Robertson named "Past Tense" as an "early contender" for 2021's song of the summer and predicted that it would become a staple at future Ryan Ross Hernandez concerts.

"If we're talking about what the centerpiece of this record is, that's "Past Tense", which was formerly known as the title track in 2016 when the project started being teased. I will confidently say that it is one of the best songs I've ever done. The lyrics came pretty organically and did not have any edits in the recording process. The composition of the song took months. I had about five or six different versions demoed across a spectrum of sounds, so it took some time to lay down the structure just right. It is a soul cleanser. Every idea, every subject matter, everything that was in my mind while writing the bulk of this album is thrown on this track. It pieces together the conceptual vision of Sex with Former Lovers. The entire notion of the song is bullshit and I think it conveys that feeling throughout. You know you're going to fall in love again no matter how much it has fucked you over. You will meet someone, you will be open, you will have sex. You will probably get torn to shreds again too, but you'll continue to put yourself through it because life is pointless without being in love or in the active search for love. We all want that. We all string ourselves up for love."

Past Tense (Fuck Love)

I thought that we could talk about anything
But when I started being honest to you for the first time in forever
You kind of shut off on me, platinum blonde
So why should I bother in a vapid one-way conversation with myself to someone that is staring out the window
I much rather put it over a melody that you and your friends could dance to when you don't bother listening to the words
Who bothers listening to the words anyways?

Fuck love
It's never done me any good to have my head bouncing
Against the walls, across any room I enter
Yeah your body was quite attractive
And I still dream about having you in my bed
But that doesn't mean I need you back if it's all about the sex anyways
I can still masturbate to the pictures of you on my iPhone
Which surprisingly makes me feel a little less lonely

Fuck love

I had a porcelain date last night when I saw a picture
It was you with your new, tall, and handsome young man
He looks like a man with that boyish look you’ve always liked, southern belle
A man who had a good childhood and has no baggage to him
If I squint hard enough he kind of looks like me in a different outfit
Yet it still makes my stomach twist and turn when I think of how he fucks you in your bed
'Cause I just hate to think you're moaning someone else's name
It’s not rational but when has love ever been?

Fuck love

Fuck love

All I need is the memories of you back when we were good (Fuck love)
The many times we fucked and tried to keep it down 'cause your roommate was home (Fuck love)
All I need is the pictures of you 'cause I'm sure you're still the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen (Fuck love)
And the many times we had phone sex when there was miles and miles between us (Fuck love)
Now tell me are you lying with somebody new? (Fuck love)
Are you lying to somebody new? (Fuck love)

I want a little bit of money (Check)
Enough to not worry about money
I want a little bit of sex (Check)
Enough to rest my weary head
I want a little bit of booze (Check)
Enough to not think as much
I want a little bit of friends (Check)
Enough to shit talk on weekends
I want a little bit of time (Check)
Enough to breathe in the fresh air
I want a little bit of humor (Check)
Enough to laugh until I cry
I want a little bit of material things (Check)
Enough to fill the vacant spaces in this room
I want a little bit of love
Enough to believe in myself
I want a little bit of love
Enough to keep around for the rest of my life
I don't mind getting second place
I only mind who I am every time I wake up
That time someone told me I'm no fun unless I'm drunk
It's still ringing in my head
So to that girl I tell her

Fuck love

Fuck love

And I still have dreams of having sex with former lovers
And I still have fantasies about having sex with forever lovers

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
BrownSugar on 11/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 11/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 11/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), Mckenzie- on 20/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2021 03:51:14(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: In Delay
Studio: Oro y Plata Studios (Livingston, Montana)
Genre: Country, pop
Length: 3:24

"In Delay" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the eighth track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. It was a last minute addition, where along with the closing track "According to Sources" was sent to the record label the same day the album was confirmed for release, originally not part of the planned track listing. The song marks a departure sonically from the rest of the album, finding itself in more of a country territory reminiscent of his last studio effort Traveling Tales. While still possessing some pop elements, it does not include any synthesizers or programmed drums, which are staples on the majority of Sex with Former Lovers. Lyrically, it reflects upon heartbreak and a failed relationship that's in the past. It is the first song on the album to feature no explicit lyrics or blunt sexual remarks.

The song leaked online on March 10, 2021, two days prior to the official album release, after it was accidentally uploaded to streaming services that morning. "In Delay" is believed to be Hernandez's first public admission to his past relationship with country-pop singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers, although reps for Ryan have declined to comment on it. Upon release, listeners found several lyrical references that could be tied to Summers.

"In Delay" received generally positive reviews from music critics, most praising the songwriting behind it and emotional performance by Hernandez both vocally and on guitar. Samuel Anderson of The Tennessean said, "Nine years after the industry collectively sighed when Hernandez switched his sound from sensitive adult contemporary guitar darling to country-folk, "In Delay" is proof that the singer-songwriter can effortlessly sway back into the genre when he pleases," adding, "albeit with more commercial appeal and a possible nod to Tennessee native Ellie-Grace Summers." Pitchfork's Madison Clark wrote, "the glossy cover of Sex with Former Lovers is replaced with raw emotion, which remains Ryan's forte." Annabelle Olsen for AllMusic said that song needs to be sent to country radio "ASAP", adding that Ryan finds a right balance between "autobiographical" and the "board appeal" that country fans seek.

"It had to be stripped down to have its effect. It might seem like a sudden change from the rest of the record, but this song needed to be here. The whole act had to be dropped for this song to work. As an artist, particularly when you're seven albums into your career, you pick up on the things that you need to do for the audience and the things you need to do for yourself. This song is for me. It is one that I'm going to keep close to chest. It's likely the saddest song I've ever written. It breaks my heart to hear it back. I will never perform it live. The recording you hear of it is the only one where I didn't fucking break down crying."

In Delay

This song is in delay
Just like returning your calls
Back when I was somewhere in Australia
And you were waiting around the phone in your hometown
I tried to keep my drinking in check with you
Until I drink two bottles of wine by myself and it’s not even sunset
You were always skilled at seeing through my malarkey

The love we made was safe and sound
I fell for you somewhere between hearing you sing
And seeing you dance so carelessly to the radio
Your hair was short and you wore black the last time I saw you
It tore me up when we made eye contact
And you turned your head the other way

This song is in delay
Just like when you were eighteen
Back when the world was meant to be simple for you
Before I showed up and strictly business changed
I let you go when I knew I wasn’t ready to grow with you
Now I only think of you every other day
Until I pretend with some girl who will never be the one
Your space beside me is still empty

On one of my good days, when I was staying in line
I made the mistake of getting online
I saw some candids of you holding hands with some guy
You looked happy and he seemed nice
That don’t change how I feel right now
The sorrow flooded my vision in an instance
If I could turn back time, I would have changed so much
‘Cause I still wish you’d be here in my arms

This song is in delay
Just like sleep every night we were together
Back when we could talk about everything
And I was not so cynical about life itself
I miss that smile that cracked each time I kissed your lips
It was pure and innocent
Until you got tired of waiting for when I made time for you
You’ll make a wonderful partner one day

So you’ll get right ‘cause you have all the time to figure it out
While I’m living through old texts and pictures
Do you ever think about me when you hear our song come on?
You’re the one that got away
You don’t need any love in delay
You deserve it with no strings attached

This song is in delay
Just like my apology to you
Back when I broke your heart with my selfishness
The opinions of others got the best of me
In another life you could've been my home
You dodged a bullet when I left
But that don't mean it felt right
Baby, I wish we had met when you were older and I was wiser

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 19 March 2021 02:08:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
BrownSugar on 11/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 11/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 11/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2021 01:23:43(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: Questions I Never Asked You
Studio: Oro y Plata Studios (Livingston, Montana)
Genre: Pop, soul
Length: 4:19

"Questions I Never Asked You" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the ninth track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. The song was written, produced, and performed in its entirely by Hernandez with the recording session taking place in his home studio in Livingston, Montana. Musically, the song is a stripped-down, soulful piano ballad that delivers a powerful vocal performance by the singer. Thematically, the lyrics address Hernandez's wrongdoings in a relationship, scolding himself for ultimately failing his partner, while also asking an ex-paramour about her point of view and how she feels about him.

While most of the record has been marred in gossip rag speculation on his love life, "Questions I Never Asked You" quickly became a trending subject upon its release, due to the lyric "was it an abuse of power on my end?" Many view the lyric and its ensuing verse as a response to allegations of Hernandez abusing his presence in the music industry to formulate a romantic relationship with country-pop singer-songwriter Ellie-Grace Summers when she was 18 years old. The two reportedly began their romance while Ryan was producing Summers debut record. The claim that Ellie-Grace is the inspiration further gaining traction later on in the song where Ryan suggests they meet when she is 33 years old, the alleged age he was when they dated. It was immediately met with a mixed reaction from the public. Some felt that it was important for a popular mainstream male artist to call into question his own possible misdoings and cutting away past traits of toxic masculinity. On the other hand, some listeners saw it as an underhanded attempt to save face nearly a decade after the relationship in question ended.

Contemporary music critics lauded Hernandez for committing to a mostly traditional piano ballad and continuing to expand his artistry, praising his versatility and no-limits lyrics. A positive review by AllMusic commended Hernandez for his bold and honest songwriting, mentioning that the artist had discovered a new depth of "emotional vulnerability" to perform and write such a track. Madison Clark of Pitchfork wrote, "in 2021, there are not many male artists who would put into question their character so boldly," going on to explain, "[at] the height of cancel culture, putting the question out there itself may cost him some fans, but in turn may also have created one of the more important conversations in the music industry today." USA Today critic Stephen Smith said that "Questions I Never Asked You" is "the most honest and vulnerable moment on the record" and possibly in Hernandez's entire career. Writing for Rolling Stone, Sydney Robertson described the song as a complete ballad, albeit one that could have a "lasting impact for better or worse" on the artist's legacy moving forward.

In review of the album, while giving the overall record a negative rating, Stereogum's Lacey Wainwright praised the song along with "In Delay" saying that both songs set the precedent that Hernandez has "buried" the brash, self-absorbed version of himself that appears in most of the earlier songs on Sex with Former Lovers, going on to explain that the tracks are a "breath of fresh air." Olivia Benson of The Guardian noted the song as a highlight on the album, but stated that the songwriting may overshadow the overall song. "Many will view the lyric as guilty enough which devalues the greater question; if as a society we are writing off people who are owning up to their mistakes and trying to actively change, how are we suppose to improve?" Benson wrote, ultimately stating that it was in Ryan's hands to prove where he stood in the court of public opinion.

"The conceptual sound for this song had been floating in my head for years before it was ever recorded. I felt for a long time as if my discography was missing that one raw piano ballad. Every instrument I have ever played has been self-taught. I picked up a guitar when I was thirteen and that has been my tool of choice for my entire career, and it always will be. I do like to challenge myself and add to my wheelhouse so to speak. I've messed around on a piano before but it was not until this song was composed that I knew I wanted to keep it as bare as possible. It was an instance where the music and the lyrics came almost hand in hand. I got back home after a night of drinking and immediately sat down in front of the piano and everything started flowing out. I recorded this shitty quality demo on my iPhone that night and from that to the actual recording, I don't think any lyrics changed. I'm honestly unsure where this record would stand without a song like "Questions I Never Asked You" on it. It needed a such an authentic moment. From a lyrical standpoint, if you write songs for a living, you are sort of an anomaly. I've had that conversation with peers of mine before. We have this emotional scope that we can connect with when needed. Even if it may not portray us in the best light, we understand that it is a means to an end. Sometimes you have to dig the knife into yourself."

Questions I Never Asked You

Was I your first love?
I remember your eyes staring into mine
That night over dinner
When we went from friends to lovers
We didn't even have sex
We stayed up until sunrise
We only spoke and made out
You were peeling back layers of me
That I had never seen before

Was it an abuse of power on my part?
When we met I felt high and grand
I was untouchable and you were my type
I know I was self-absorbed back then
I would only see my own desires
I told you I loved you every morning
Whether you were right beside me or far away
Until I just stopped and quietly left you alone
Resting in your pain and I didn't even notice

Everyone sees the parts that I let them
They've never seen me when I stayed inside
Fifteen days straight, barely eating, always sleeping
Everyone thinks they knew us back then
They never saw us share secrets and stay inside
For twenty eight days straight, no arguments, only loving

These are the questions I never asked you
It must've looked like I didn't care at all
I swear if I think too much about it, it'll break me down
Now that we're older, do you think we can talk things out?
And if you hate me, I won't hold it against you
You have every right to bury me alive
I shut you out when I painted you the most beautiful canvas
And I'll always regret letting myself lose you

Was I cruel to you?
I have a tendency to say things off the cuff
I tried my best to not hear the whispers outside
They ate away at my being when they spoke about you
So I stepped forward and defended your honor
Why do I feel even worse than I did before?
I'm not the victim nor am I claiming to be
I wanted to do a good thing
Now I only attached your name next to mine again

Everyone sees the parts that I let them
They've never seen me when I stayed inside
Fifteen days straight, barely eating, always sleeping
Everyone thinks they knew us back then
They never saw us share secrets and stay inside
For twenty eight days straight, no arguments, only loving

It must've looked like I didn’t care at all

Do you think we could sit down for a chat one day?
When you're thirty-three, I'll have some more gray hairs by then
We could meet in the summer, if you like
Playing what if's is a dangerous game
I swore I’d never go back to what I knew again
But it's been so long
We've shed our past skins
We are new people and maybe that is something
Can you forgive me for all my mistakes?
Do you believe me when I say I'm changing?

It must've looked like I didn't care at all

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
BrownSugar on 12/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 12/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 12/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 12/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#11 Posted : 13 March 2021 03:51:07(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Title: According to Sources
Genre: Electropop, synth-pop, R&B
Length: 3:59

"According to Sources" is a song by American singer-songwriter and producer Ryan Ross Hernandez. It is the tenth and final track on his seventh studio album Sex with Former Lovers. Musically, it incorporates both sides of the overall aesthetics found on the album, blending the electropop and synth-forward production on earlier tracks, into an R&B-esque ballad that follows the slower tempo, emotional one-two punch of "In Delay" and "Questions I Never Asked You". The song has an airy sound to it, with a rolling set of programmed drums, atmospheric synths, and layered vocal effects. It features a heavily distorted guitar riff and bass, with some piano notes thrown into the mix as well.

Thematically, Madison Clark of Pitchfork described the lyrics as Hernandez "successfully dissing the tabloids who are obsessed with his love life, an introspective chorus on mental health, the social awareness similar to his September 2020 comeback single "In Hate We Trust, USA" and closing the chapter on Sex with Former Lovers and all its relationships that inspired it," going on to praise the songwriting as still Hernandez's best trait as an artist. The song has lyrical references to his own notoriety, mental health, mass shootings, racism, the political climate, and direct references to Donald Trump's Make America Great Again propaganda, and Vermont senator and former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. The latter of which is a direct dig at the backlash Hernandez received due to his outspoken support of Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic Primaries and Presidential General Election. He performed at various fundraisers for Clinton throughout that time as well.

Upon release, much like "Postmodern Romance" the opening track on the album, "According to Sources" received polarizing reviews from critics, with some lauding the writing and production, while others were disappointed with either or both aspects. Travis Perry of New York Times mentioned that "for better or worse" everyone has an opinion on Hernandez, "whether he is singing about potentially dating a 20 year old while in his 40's or playing the role of a fierce political advocate for change, which he does both on this song." Vanity's Sarah Baker praised Hernandez's full embrace of synth-pop, calling the effort "successful" in backing his "love me or hate me" attitude. Writing for the LA Times, Jason Williams commended the song, deeming Hernandez's ability to create such juxtaposition between his music and his songwriting a talent "rarely seen today," also mentioning the singer's cadence vocal performance as one of the more impressive moments on the record.

In a more lukewarm review, Rolling Stone's Sydney Robertson wrote that "undeniably, some fans of RRH will be clamoring for the artist to release a politically-charged album after "In Hate We Trust, USA" or a study in mortality after "Darkness in the Light / Light in the Darkness" which was inspired by the passing of his mother. If history were to be trusted there should be no expectations on what Hernandez does next. If "According to Sources" is any indicator, we may get a follow-up LP that falls somewhere in between, only moderately appealing to most listeners, while still keeping songs about romantic failures at the forefront." Olivia Benson of The Guardian wrote a negative review of the song, criticizing its "scatterbrained" lyrics and Hernandez's "unexciting" vocal input, stating that "unless it was done on purpose, this is about as boring as it gets on an otherwise satisfying album." Heather Sandberg wrote for Billboard that the song is effective as a "middle finger" to anyone who indulges in the singer-songwriter's celebrity status or any individuals that don't share his views on a particular subject, but missed the mark in "just about every other possible aspect." Some critics suggested that the album should have ended on "Questions I Never Asked You" for a more potent closing track.

"I wrote the bulk of this song in the spring of 2020, before "In Hate We Trust, USA" which was done right after the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis at the hands of police. At that time I wasn't working on an album or anything but there was nothing else for me to do when the entire world went on pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I was in Montana and I just went into my studio out back and started messing around with different ideas. Even without a worldwide pandemic, there's not much to do in Montana, there aren't many distractions out there. The music for this one actually came before the lyrics, which usually doesn't happen for me that way. I usually base the sounds on what I write, not vice versa. I'd say the majority of this song was created behind a computer more so than a guitar. I was just having fun messing around with synths and drum machines, I honestly did not include any true instrumentation until I was actually recording it a few weeks before release. Writing it, I wanted to capture not only my perspective on my life, but also wanted to include the things that occupy a lot of my thoughts and headspace. The state of things in the US is toxic for various reasons and I wanted to include that. It's going to piss some people off but screw it. It was also important for me to use the song as closing the chapter on Sex with Former Lovers. I think most of the stories touched upon this record as a whole when talking about the failed relationships, all those are done. There's nothing else for me to write about them, so I wanted to specifically reference that "farewell former lovers, goodbye old friends" may you have found your happiness, 'cause now it's time to work on myself. It's still very much a Ryan Ross Hernandez song at its core."

According to Sources

If you see me out and about
Whether I'm walking alone or got a new woman holdin' my hand
Do your best to keep your opinions to yourself
I know it's easier to talk shit about my life
Than working on fixing your own problems

After 20 years of the same ol' bullshit
I need you to shut your mouth
Even if my date for the night was born in 2000
And she doesn't remember compact discs
Ain't none of your business to play that record until it starts skipping
So won't you please keep them judging eyes to the ground

All this time spent running in place is not helping my mental health
You've spent an hour mindlessly searching the web for pictures of them
At which point does heartbreak become pure sadness?
The kind where every sad song comes from a sad fuck with a guitar
The same pills that are suppose to keep you sane will one day end your life

And the glass broke when you moved too fast
You let it all spill like a thawing river after the most brutal winter in decades
Now the house is flooded and you can't seem to escape
But is it even a life when I haven't been using it, just doing enough to survive
At every accident scene I pass I ask "why them and not me?"
Nothing makes sense and nothing is right
So let's keep on drinking as if it's still an easier time

Back in the spring of 2016 I remained such an oblivious man
Acting like I had changed but not realizing what that really even meant then
Now mass shootings are becoming something that we are desensitizing ourselves from
The sight of a MAGA baseball cap makes me sick to my stomach
When you're white and get scared of a different colored skin
And conservative media is infecting the minds of those dumb enough to buy it
I don't think the times we're living in are that different from the ones our parents went through

Now I stay up late obsessively thinking about every bad thing that hasn't happened yet
And I know positivity is the message that most of my friends are carrying
But I feel buried alive under the weight of all the negatives in this world
And my hope was left behind with the booze that I gave up

All this time spent running in place is not helping my mental health
You've spent an hour mindlessly searching the web for pictures of them
At which point does heartbreak become pure sadness?
The kind where every sad song comes from a sad fuck with a guitar
The same pills that are suppose to keep you sane will one day end your life

And the glass broke when you moved too fast
You let it all spill like a thawing river after the most brutal winter in decades
Now the house is flooded and you can't seem to escape
But is it even a life when I haven't been using it, just doing enough to survive
At every accident scene I pass I ask "why them and not me?"
Nothing makes sense and nothing is right
So let's keep on drinking as if it’s still an easier time

I'll keep my ear close to the ground
The time for being passive is long gone
Republicans are making me hate half this country
And Bernie Sanders' supporters who rather sit on their ass and let it all happen again
Yeah, I get it, kid
Things are feeling pretty bleak right now
But keep your fist in the air and your feet on the streets
The world is misery right now and it can't get any worse

So call up that ex whose name still makes your heart miss a beat
And if you end up having sex with them, take it in stride
You, me, and everyone you know will be forgotten one day
So stop being so damn hard on yourself
Farewell former lovers, goodbye old friends
I hope you've all found happiness far away from me
I've ran out of apologies and self-loathing
I'm going easier on myself and starting to like who I am

'Cause the broken glass has been cleaned up
After it all spilled out like a thawing river after the most brutal winter in decades
The spring sun came to lead the way back home
And I no longer want to only survive, I want to find love
My friends can finally count on me
No more binge drinking until I blackout on a weekday
It'll all make sense one day and life will treat you right

---

Comparable To:
UserPostedImage
2001clay on 13/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 13/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 13/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 13/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 13/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2021 07:16:53(UTC)
2001clay

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3543 time(s) in 1268 post(s)
Marianne Roberts: I'm absolute fan of you RRH & tbh i love this album it has that sort of soulfulness

OCC: Amazing job
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
PANIC! on 13/03/2021(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#13 Posted : 13 March 2021 13:09:50(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: RRH and Joshua 2024! Let's go america, if we do all the other stuff we can get these two in the white house with write-ins alone.

OOC: Panic has one character so all of the creative juices and connection between the artist and the user is tight and thick. This album is a real project that given the chance could really go in real life. I think you really outdid yourself with this one truly a fantastic job that was worth the wait.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
PANIC! on 13/03/2021(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#14 Posted : 16 March 2021 03:50:18(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
OOC: Happy that this project finally seen the light of day. With Kandii rebooting stuff too, it seems like 2021 is the Year of the Revival! Was great seeing a different sonic style to RRH. Was a nice little switch up but also made a lot of sense. Didn't seem forced or done just to be different. The concept of the record as well as the lyrics were all still very "Ryan". Excellent work here. Wonderfully executed and presented. Oh and whoever made that artwork deserves all the awards in the world...

Ellie-Grace: Imagine writing songs about exes? Couldn't be me...

Joshua: I like to think this album is out there in the world because you love me and put it out as a gift. Totally nothing to do with the person who leaked that song. Anyway, it's a weird feeling actually listening to this album. I was really excited for it back in the day and it's certainly such a joy to have it. Don't get me wrong, I still love your work but now that I know you and pretty much all the people you're alluding to in the record, I've woken up in cold sweats due to the sexual lyrical content. Filth! You're all my friends. I need to go have a cold shower.
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
PANIC! on 16/03/2021(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#15 Posted : 17 March 2021 06:37:46(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Fangz: My pussy throbs severely for Hernandez. Don't worry king, those peasants did not deserve you at all. Call me!

Daniel: So versatile in sound, but you come out on TOP. It's crazy how long this was kept in the vault but I understand the personal life circumstances. I feel like this release definitely adds a new layer to you. I think my favorite to go songs at the moment are "Loudest in the Room" and "Grandeur". Sonically I was completely surprised with "The Younger Heart / Point of View". I know you as an artist may feel like this is "out of your element" but sometimes those tend to be the best releases. I look forward to the 2nd album coming later this year. You deserve any kind of success that comes your way!

OOC: I honestly enjoyed seeing you dwell on to this somewhat controversial side Ryan, with the label following up to the official release. It definitely feels like something that would happen in real life with some record labels. I know Ryan has been controversial in the past in a funny kind of way lol but I loved this RP from you because its so different from what I'm used to from you from a sound standpoint, down to the soundalikes, it's definitely a refreshing spin on Hernandez. You never disappoint man :)
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
PANIC! on 17/03/2021(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#16 Posted : 20 March 2021 01:59:44(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Marianne Roberts: I'm absolute fan of you RRH & tbh i love this album it has that sort of soulfulness

OCC: Amazing job

Ryan: You gotta have some soul when you're singing about penetra... nevermind.

OOC: Thank you!

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: RRH and Joshua 2024! Let's go america, if we do all the other stuff we can get these two in the white house with write-ins alone.

OOC: Panic has one character so all of the creative juices and connection between the artist and the user is tight and thick. This album is a real project that given the chance could really go in real life. I think you really outdid yourself with this one truly a fantastic job that was worth the wait.

Ryan: Lil' Grimmie is another 13 years away from being of age to be in the white house, so that puts us on track for 2036? I'd be a year away from 60 at that point and still considered young for president. Sure, I'm down.

OOC: Thank you for the kind words! It's been about ten years since I shifted all my focus from other characters to just RRH. I wanted to create a greater arching connection to building and developing one character, so I appreciate that a lot.

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Happy that this project finally seen the light of day. With Kandii rebooting stuff too, it seems like 2021 is the Year of the Revival! Was great seeing a different sonic style to RRH. Was a nice little switch up but also made a lot of sense. Didn't seem forced or done just to be different. The concept of the record as well as the lyrics were all still very "Ryan". Excellent work here. Wonderfully executed and presented. Oh and whoever made that artwork deserves all the awards in the world...

Ellie-Grace: Imagine writing songs about exes? Couldn't be me...

Joshua: I like to think this album is out there in the world because you love me and put it out as a gift. Totally nothing to do with the person who leaked that song. Anyway, it's a weird feeling actually listening to this album. I was really excited for it back in the day and it's certainly such a joy to have it. Don't get me wrong, I still love your work but now that I know you and pretty much all the people you're alluding to in the record, I've woken up in cold sweats due to the sexual lyrical content. Filth! You're all my friends. I need to go have a cold shower.

Ryan: *whistles innocently*

Ryan: We are still investigating you as the possible leaker, Grimmie. Don't think you're off the hook. With the rest of what you're saying, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Everyone I'm talking about are fictional characters I created for the sake of an album. I am saving myself for marriage.

OOC: That is a good way to look at it! I had so many of these songs sitting around for years that I felt I had to get them out before they got misplaced and I lost interest in them. I've always tried to make the progression of RRH tackling different sounds and genres seem as organic as possible, since I do try to tie in my own wide-ranging music taste while keeping Ryan's character development at the forefront. A HUGE thank you for that kick ass artwork, Sean! It seriously gave me that final push I needed to finally tackle this album thread! The concept you mustered up was spot on, my friend. Thank you for the kindness!

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post
Fangz: My pussy throbs severely for Hernandez. Don't worry king, those peasants did not deserve you at all. Call me!

Daniel: So versatile in sound, but you come out on TOP. It's crazy how long this was kept in the vault but I understand the personal life circumstances. I feel like this release definitely adds a new layer to you. I think my favorite to go songs at the moment are "Loudest in the Room" and "Grandeur". Sonically I was completely surprised with "The Younger Heart / Point of View". I know you as an artist may feel like this is "out of your element" but sometimes those tend to be the best releases. I look forward to the 2nd album coming later this year. You deserve any kind of success that comes your way!

OOC: I honestly enjoyed seeing you dwell on to this somewhat controversial side Ryan, with the label following up to the official release. It definitely feels like something that would happen in real life with some record labels. I know Ryan has been controversial in the past in a funny kind of way lol but I loved this RP from you because its so different from what I'm used to from you from a sound standpoint, down to the soundalikes, it's definitely a refreshing spin on Hernandez. You never disappoint man :)

Ryan: Um.. I don't even know what to say to that. Thank you?

Ryan: As I've gotten older, my new approach to recording is that if I don't feel challenged while working on it, I shouldn't release it. I could be fifteen albums into my career if I phoned it in as that "guitar guy" but I want to be more than that. I want to push the boundaries and experiment with as many different sounds and elements as I can. Thank you for listening and the continued support.

OOC: Thank you for the kind words, Daniel! When I opted to go forward with releasing the album, I wanted to write up a realistic chain of events as to how we got to this point. I'm always trying to reinvent Ryan sonically and keep things fresh. If I was writing the same album aesthetic as I did ten years ago I would still not be here haha. Thanks again!
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 20/03/2021(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 20/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#17 Posted : 21 March 2021 01:41:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
Ashford: Ryan Ross Hernandez, the chameleon of the music industry. You are a true artist, your ability to change and adapt to the times one moment and revert to labour's of love and create records influenced by styles that are no longer "popular" and somehow make them popular in this modern era is remarkable. This is why you can perform alongside anyone in the industry and not feel out of place. Consider that my opening statement, sir. Cards on the table, I'm a big fan!

That doesn't stop me from thinking to myself, "What the fuck is he doing now?" and that's exactly the thoughts that I had when I heard this record was going to see the light of day. It's just not something that a dude would get away with without any backlash and I'm sure you've received a lot of it. But you write the best verses when they come from experience and to be able to go inside of your thought processes throughout this record, however questionable at times is a gift no matter how you look at it.
I don't buy into the obsession of tabloid fodder and who's dating who, I don't look at this record any differently than you would a Joni Mitchell or early Clapton record, or even Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" or Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks", as a theme it's a confessional record that many have done over the years, it shouldn't receive scrutiny for that reason alone. Sure, there's statements on the record that I think "That's a little fucked up." but everybody is in some way.

I admire the bravery of knowing what putting this out there would do and still putting it out there. You stand by your art and I have respect for you for doing that.

OOC: Outstanding effort with this, really intricate and the detail throughout is insane as always. Such a difficult concept to pull off, but it fits the character very well and just adds more layers to him. Great stuff!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
PANIC! on 21/03/2021(UTC)