logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2021 18:53:33(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 9665 time(s) in 3223 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: April 30th, 2021
Recorded: 2016-2021; Seoul, New York City, Los Angeles
Genre: Pop, EDM, K-Pop
Label: Five Pesky Kids, Dahlhouse Entertainment
Producer: Misu (exec.), inZane, GogoGigi, Flame 1&2, FancyÑ, DrewWB

Law of Time and Space

Law of Time and Space is the debut solo extended play by Korean singer Misu. The record was released on April 30th, 2021 by Five Pesky Kids with additional support from Dahlhouse Entertainment. During the recording of Mi•Mi's third studio album "When I Grow Up" (2021), the group announced that they would be disbanding due to label issues and were producing solo projects to be released immediately after their final album. Recording sessions for the EP took place from October 2016 to March 2021 at several studios around the world. As executive producer of the album, Misu took a wider role in its production, writing all of the songs with minimal help, choosing the direction of production, and sharing ideas on the mixing and mastering of tracks.

Although Misu is not known for being open about her personal relationships, the project explores the topic of love like never before. Playing on the name of the project, the EP is full of songs about time, space, and even the fate of the stars playing a role in a relationship's outcome. The extended play features dance-pop tracks all with lingering elements of EDM accompanied by electro-beats and strong spacey vocals. It is to be noted that sonically, Misu strays even further away from what would be considered K-pop music, insiders reporting that management quietly wants Misu to become a Pop force in the western market. This is the opposite of the direction her twin brother Dae Ho Park is taking, whose debut album "Crash Course Dummy" featured western styles of music but still managed to cater to the K-pop genre with its lead singles.

After spending almost a decade in Mi•Mi as the lead singer, fans have been waiting patiently for Misu's solo debut. Releasing one-off tracks throughout the years, Misu's official debut single "Fade Away" was released on July 23rd, 2017, and debuted #1 on the charts after her appearance on Celebrity Big Brother. Earlier that year, Misu posted the song "This Time" featuring Kyle of BYS on Soundcloud in February 2017. Both songs make an appearance on the mini-album, fitting the theme perfectly. It is said that Misu had originally begun sessions for a full-length album but decided against it once management came up with a better plan that would benefit all 4 of the former members of Mi•Mi. Her solo track "Bird Set Free" from Mi•Mi's final album "When I Grow Up" is also featured as a bonus track on the project.

What stands out most to critics about Misu's first body of work is her excellent vocal performance. In just 7 tracks, Misu successfully shows off her vocal profile where she is described as a Light lyric Soprano with 4 octaves and a whole step, approximately D3 – B5 – E7. A reviewer from Sputnikmusic says, "Listening to 'Law of Time and Space' is like listening to the inner workings of a galaxy and realizing Misu's gorgeous vocals is doing all the heavy lifting." The A.V. Club's Annie Zaleski writes in conclusion that the mini-album "is an effortless leap forward on which Misu comes into her own as a vocalist and performer."

Track listing

1. Law of Time & Space
2. Hold Me
3. This Time ft. Kyle
4. If He Says So
5. S P A C E
6. Fade Away
7. Bird Set Free (Bonus Track)

Total length: 24:40

Edited by user 30 April 2021 18:57:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
¤9LIVES¤Aikya Balan¤Allison Cooper¤Anniken Dahl-Smith¤Bonnie Summers¤Dakota¤
¤Dae Ho Park¤Drew Westbrook¤Flame 1&2¤Giovanni Gigante¤Jake Baskett¤Jayne Moore¤Lotus¤
¤LUXX¤Mi•Mi¤Romeo Lefevre¤Rum & Coke¤WINNIE¤Yasmine Kiambang¤inZane¤
thanks 7 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
2001clay on 30/04/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 30/04/2021(UTC), erich hess on 30/04/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 30/04/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 01/05/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 02/05/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 04/05/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2021 01:52:13(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 9665 time(s) in 3223 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Length: 4:20
Genre: EDM, Synth-pop
Written by: Mi Sun Kim, Yasmine Kiambang
Produced by: inZane

Law of Time and Space is the first song on the mini-album and also happens to be the title track. It opens up the project dramatically, the darker production matched with an unforgettable vocal performance sets a high standard for what is to come for listeners.

The song was written and recorded initially in 2017 by Mi Sun Kim with a few revisions made to it during more recent sessions thanks to the help of Malaysian singer-songwriter Yasmine Kiambang. Production is handled by inZane who does a great job of making the music feel as if 2 lovers are tumbling uncontrollably through deep space, fighting to hold on to one another while the force of gravity overpowers their love. The beat plays on the theme of space and time with reverbed keys playing as the backbone of the verses which are accompanied by a metronome that reminds one of the sounds a clock makes when it tik-toks. This hesitant build-up leads to an array of dark spacey synths that swallow the song whole and creates an electrifying atmosphere. The only way to describe this sonic experience is to compare it to what one would assume getting sucked up by a black hole and traveling through its exhilarating vortex would sound like. Lol.

Misu sings about a relationship that is falling apart and uses the breathtaking track to be direct with her partner about wanting to break up and call it quits. She implies that they've taken breaks from the relationship before but the situation hasn't improved and has become more painful than beneficial for the both of them. Her voice gives a riveting performance of the emotions displayed in the lyrics, the highlight of the song definitely being the chorus where she powerfully belts out every word. In the final chorus especially, Misu takes it up a notch as she harmonizes with herself and this breakthrough moment leads to an incredible outro where she pushes her falsetto all the way up to the notes F5 - Eb6, a stunning feat that shows just how much of a masterclass vocalist Misu has been trained to be all her life.

Albert Einstein is known as a historical figure thanks to his thoughts on the "laws of time and space" where philosophers and scientists alike discuss the illusion of time where many believe the concept of time is relative meaning the rate at which time passes is based on your frame of reference. Things like the mass of objects and the space that exists between them can alter this reference and in a way, creates a different timeline unique to the interacting objects. Misu uses the title, Law of Time and Space, to explain to the partner that the more physical time and space that exists between them, the more the two emotionally grow apart and no longer share linear experiences with each other. Due to this irreversible barrier, she knows that because of their history it will take a lot of time and space before they could just completely forget each other and the things they've felt but she asks her partner to "break the laws of time and space", her way of saying that she wants to fast-forward through the break-up process. It is said people break up in stages which include denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. She wants to skip through the pain that comes with those stages, almost as if she's longing to travel to a period of time in the future where they are already healed and ready to move on.

Misu

I just want to keep you from hurting
You just want to keep me near
There's love out there and we all deserve it
I don't think there's any left here
No, I don't think there's any love here
You want to make me feel the same
I just think it's time we forget
Used to believe there would never be an ending
So I know for sure you'll grow out of it
Hoping you'll grow out of it

I don’t know how I feel, time is ticking away
I don’t know if you’ll heal, we're slipping through space
Don't you wanna skip through it all?
Baby, let's break the law, law, law
Rush through the pain before it leaves us cornered
Rush through the days where memories feel like torture
Should just fast forward through it all

You always wanted me to be selfish
Hate how I put the world first
I think, "maybe if I start to hate him..."
But we both know it would never work
Really thought we would work
Guess that's the law of time and space
Nothing even feels the same
Insane to put us through this pain
Another break and I'll break
Rip off the bandaid

I don’t know how I feel, time is ticking away
Rush through the pain before it leaves us cornered
Rush through the days where memories feel like torture

Oh, oh
Baby let's break it off, off, off
Baby let's break it off, off, off
Let's..break..the..law, oh!
Baby, let's break it off
It’s the law of time and space
Nothing even feels the same
Insane to put you through this pain
Another break and I'll breaaak!
Let's beat time at it's own game

I don’t know how I feel, time is ticking away (I don't know how I feel, oh!)
Rush through the pain before it leaves us cornered (cornered)
Rush through the days where (memories feel like torture)

Oh, oh
Baby let's break it off
Baby let's break it off
Ooh...
Baby, let's break it off
UserPostedImage
¤9LIVES¤Aikya Balan¤Allison Cooper¤Anniken Dahl-Smith¤Bonnie Summers¤Dakota¤
¤Dae Ho Park¤Drew Westbrook¤Flame 1&2¤Giovanni Gigante¤Jake Baskett¤Jayne Moore¤Lotus¤
¤LUXX¤Mi•Mi¤Romeo Lefevre¤Rum & Coke¤WINNIE¤Yasmine Kiambang¤inZane¤
thanks 7 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
2001clay on 04/05/2021(UTC), erich hess on 04/05/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 04/05/2021(UTC), Welat65 on 04/05/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/05/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 04/05/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/05/2021(UTC)