logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<111213
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#241 Posted : 31 May 2012 10:22:38(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Glamazon: It saddens and warms me at the same time to read this interview... just when I think I've found a way to cope, I get some sort of reminder that I'm still not over it. But I guess you never get over losing the one you love, you just find the best way to deal with it. Eric seemed his usual charming, cheerful self in this interview, which is why I'll forever treasure it, so I'm grateful that it came out. I'd like to meet with the rest of Infinite soon, I haven't seen them all in a while and I think it'd benefit us all.

OOC: Very enjoyable read, hope to see you around more often!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
infinite135 on 19/06/2012(UTC)
Offline infinite135  
#242 Posted : 19 June 2012 07:53:51(UTC)
infinite135

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 328 time(s) in 157 post(s)
UserPostedImage

When the Beatles broke up, four successful solo careers were launched. When Infinite imploded, one of the members became a social pariah, another attempted suicide. Only one of them has gone on to lead what a sane man would consider to be a happy life. And all he had to do was completely cut himself off from the life he once had. His first album, 'When the clock starts ticking..' might as well have been made by a different man. It was cold, distant, as far away from the 'heartbreak record' one might have anticipated after such a brutal year. 'Pretty Speeches' was a different beast; many consider it to be the final Infinite record, as it dealt with bringing closure to such a legendary tenure.

But anyone who hoped that this album would bring about Oldson's willingness to discuss the past, they were sorely mistaken. He remained as aloof as ever, preferring to discuss current events during interviews. Eric Quillington was taboo, Amelia Florentine was taboo. But, strangely enough, these tactics seem to have worked. While not commanding the attention that Infinite once held at it's heyday, Oldson has still managed to carve out a beloved solo career. This success has reached a peak when he played at the O2 Arena last night, marking the first time he's played at a venue of this size by himself. If ever there were feelings of self-doubt, it never showed, as he delivered a powerhouse performance. But nary a mention of Infinite, not even a cover song. And yet, the fans didn't mind. In a funny way, it seems the world has moved on.

Though it never could. The true tragedy of music is that bands only become universally adulated after their end. And Infinite had such a tragic story, that such nostalgia was inevitable. Even though Eric Quillington, the frontman and chief architect of the band, has long since passed on, a reunion of Greg Oldson, Matt Roberts, and Amelia Florentine is still an eagerly anticipated event. Sadly, it may never happen. The closest to a true, new glimpse of the band is a rare interview from Mr. Oldson, in which he has agreed to discuss the band that has long since cast a shadow over his life.

First off, congrats on your success at the O2!

"Thanks, man. I've finally escaped from the steel trap that is the drum. Next to Phil Collins and Dave Grohl, I think I'm the only one who managed to break free. It's just startling, but I very much think that this was a fluke. I only have 50,000 fans in the world, and they all came tonight. I'll spend the next two years playing empty bars, because everybody already got their fill."

I wouldn't say that. Your QuixoticMusic festivals always seem to attract a vast crowd.

"Yeah, but they aren't really there for me, y'know? They're still hoping that a ghost will appear every time Matt and I perform together. But it won't happen; we were in a band with Eric Quillington, not Jesus Christ. I think people just forget that from time to time. Everything that Infinite's done has become very mythologized these past few years, which is why I love doing stuff by myself. People expect fuck-all from me, and that's fantastic.

Actually, no, not anymore. I think, nowadays, I've reached a point where the critics are expecting the best from me. And I have mixed feelings about that. It's great that people think I have the potential in me to do something great. But on the other hand, I miss being in the gutter. I got to be there as a teenager, when I was just a drummer who hadn't showered in two weeks. And I got to be there again five years ago, when my first album was considered to be a piss-stain on Eric's legacy. You can do anything in the gutter, you really can. There's no one to let down. Now the hype has set in again, so I have to be very wary of that. We'll see what happens. It's a problem of success. And I'd rather have those problems than deal with the issues of failure."

Do you ever expect to one day be seen in the same light as Infinite?

"No. No, I couldn't handle that. I'd become the biggest egomaniac on the planet, and that's no fun. I don't think solo artists really deserve that sort of recognition, though. There are, obviously, exceptions to this. Ryan is a genius, as is Glamazon. Wish I could talk to them, I really do. They'd be fantastic sources of inspiration. But they were Eric's friends, not mine. I'm a very difficult person to get along with. But, anyways... yeah, for the most part, I think it's bands that deliver the best work. It's a very basic mentality; three heads are better than one. When the world unleashes all their love on this one person, you can't be surprised when she loses her shit. Band members need each other, they keep one another sane. So, if I became a very, very successful solo artist, the universe would be sucked into the black hole that'd be my ego."

There have been rumors that Infinite was overrun with ego, though.

"Yeah. I'm not going to lie, it got bad at points. Rock stars are awful human beings for at least one part of their life. We became one of the most respected bands on the planet, for some unknown reason. And that changes you, in a very bad way. Eric got it the worst. He was the lyricist, the singer, the everything. People went apeshit for him. So, naturally, he lost it for a little. There's that infamous stint on Big Brother, where he could barely form words because he was so stoned. That wasn't even as bad as it got. He wasn't the guy I knew growing up, he was just this entity that breathed rock n' roll. It may sound cool, but it's not. He was just completely, utterly consumed by the madness. Tragically, I think he only really recovered when his illness progressed to a serious, critical level. That sorta snapped him back to reality. Before that, it was Quixotic Quillington to the absolute apex.

And I'm not guilty of it, either. I'm really not. When Blue Nebula dropped, and started selling, I thought I was John Lennon. I was only the drummer, but Jesus Christ, did I develop a complex. Eric finally calmed me down, in a very indirect way. He just burned like a fucking sun, y'know? He was a genius, just absolutely spectacular. That's what it takes to be a legend. And I'm not there, I never will be. Once I realized that, I started to get it back together. I just played the drums, and sung a song or two. I was never important. I think that's why I get so irritated when people say that I'm writing different material than what I wrote in Infinite. No, no, I didn't write anything in Infinite. I did 'Ciel' and 'Strobe', that's it. Show me a fan that lists those as their two favorite songs, and I'll show you a liar.

So you never achieved a fully collaborative songwriting partnership like, say, Lennon/McCartney?

"No. People say that we did, and it's bullshit. It was Quillington/Smith, or Quillington/Glamazon. Those were his two partnerships. I, to this day, think that Infinite should have been Eric Quillington, Jason Smith, and Glamazon. Matt Roberts will back me up on this; we were absolutely useless. Just two Ringos, in a band with a mixture of John and Paul. It's why Infinite can never get back together. It's like a solo artist reuniting after he dies. Utterly, stupidly, impossible."

But a lot of things have yet to be released. Light in Motion, a recording of the final Wembley Performance..

"Yeah. Yeah, and maybe that'll happen down the road. We're not just selfishly keeping these things for ourselves, it's not that. I just can't face up to it. Too painful. I think, deep down, I like the fact that not everything has been released. That means it's not over. But it is; we're just prolonging the inevitable. Light in Motion has been finished for years, we just need to get over ourselves and get back together to put on the final touches. I'd like to go back and fix everything, to end the band properly. Nothing happened the way I wanted, which is why I don't talk about it. Those were dark days, and it was a bitter failure on my behalf. If only, if only, I could go back to make things right. But it's far too late now."

And is it safe to assume a sixth Infinite album, with Oldson/Roberts/Florentine, is out of the question?

"Probably. I don't want to say never. I just despise what Amelia has done since Infinite. Poppy, shitty garbage. If that bridge was ever fixed, then maybe. Matt and I have never had difficulties together. I'd cross hell and back for him. We write music all the time, and not many people know that. Believe it or not, we've released three EPs together, under an alias. Won't reveal what it is, because that'd ruin it. But it just proves to me that, if we did continue in a public working relationship, it'd be a success because of name alone. The music that Matt and I have made is good, but nobody gives a shit. I think Pitchfork gave one of them a 6.0/10, and that's the biggest coverage we've gotten. That was very eye-opening to me. If we reunited, the music would be the least important about it. I don't think I want to do that. But, as I said before, never say never. Tomorrow never knows..."

__

[OOC: I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll return as a regular contributing writer for this forum. I'm working on a novel at the moment, so it's doubtful. But I love writing these characters, so it's safe to assume little posts like this every now and then until the day I make a full return, if it ever comes]

Edited by user 19 June 2012 07:55:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Kurt Ulysses - Songwriter, Guitarist, Backup Vocalist
Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Eric Quillington (Deceased) - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Piano, Primary Lyricist
Matt Roberts - Bass
Greg Oldson - Drums, Backup Vocals, Secondary Lyricist
Amelia Florentine - Keyboards, Piano, Lyricist, Backup Vocals

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
thanks 4 users thanked infinite135 for this useful post.
PANIC! on 19/06/2012(UTC), GirlSpice on 19/06/2012(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 19/06/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/06/2012(UTC)
Offline infinite135  
#243 Posted : 25 August 2012 05:44:45(UTC)
infinite135

Man

UserPostedImage

[PrettySpeeches: Hi. I'd like to share a few song titles. A Phantasmagoric Illumination, Sitic Things, Old and Blue, A Turning of Sorts. #LightInMotion]

With this quiet, casual tweet, Greg Oldson dropped a bombshell on Infinite fans across the world. His return to the studio was previously assumed to be for his third solo album. All that changed earlier today, as the album which has been anticipated for what felt like eternity now seems to be one-step closer towards finally, finally being released.

To call Light in Motion an album with a difficult recording process is to make the underestimation of the year. Infinite's fifth album was put on hold following Eric Quillington's tragic suicide at Wembley Stadium. As the days turned into months and years, many lost hope that it would ever see the light of day. Further discouraging was the bickering between former bandmembers; the rivalry between Greg Oldson and Amelia Florentine, for instance, quickly turned into something unfixable. Not to mention the simple practically of finishing such a record. Quillington was, in many ways, the driving force behind Infinite, both conceptually and musically. With such a pivotal figure removed from the equation, carrying on seemed unthinkable. But, oh, how the times have changed. Oldson, Florentine, and Roberts have all reconvened in the studio, promising to keep true to Eric Quillington's vision.

"It's achieved an almost mythological position in the minds of our fans," Greg Oldson remarked, "And that's frightening. We won't please everyone with this, it'd be like walking on water. The expectations are enormous. The album, at the time of Eric's death, was about three-fourths of the way finished. All we have to do is make sure that final fourth is brilliant. Which is much, much more difficult than it sounds."

In his final days, the enigmatic frontman professed a deep, growing fascination of literature, particularly the idea of something having a beginning, middle, and end. Therefore, it makes sense that his final work would be, in his own words, "Sort of like sitting around the campfire, listening to all these wonderful, scary, sometimes beautiful stories." Greg Oldson has described the album as being deeply lyrical, with each song around ten minutes long. This should surprise none of Infinite's fans; each of their records is completely different from the last, so a rehash of the relatively simple Dancing about Architecture was expected by no one.

"I want to make Jason Smith proud, I want to make Glamazon proud," Matt Roberts said quietly, humbly, "I want to make Eric Quillington proud. Infinite will bow out in style."

__

'Too rosy, too sweet, to dictate the dream'

'He figures, in the end, feeling happy and cruel, that no one will miss a bartender and fool.'

'There was a house old and blue, this much is true.
The rest is simply the way Mr. Ember chooses to remember
On the rare occassions he looks back on that cold, bleak December.'

'A turning of sorts began,
They soared through the air together, girl and man.
And they spun and they twisted,
Stunning the crowd with a beauty they never thought existed.
“Never let me go,”
The girl said to the man, her voice lost amongst the show.'

Light in Motion, the final album.
[Winter 2012/2013]
Kid Anything- Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze; influenced by Sigur Ros, XXYYXX, Kanye West, Blur, Oasis

(Bringing together an eclectic group of influences, Ulysses' songs are sung with carefree abandon by Nick Junk)

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Infinite- Alternative/Experimental Rock; influenced by Muse, Radiohead, and The Beatles

(Known best for their experimental music and their frontman's eccentric behavior, the band disbanded after Eric Quillington's death to pursue solo careers or, in Matt Robert's case, peace of mind. Infinite released four albums over the course of their career; Blue Nebula, Midnight Skies, Insomnia, and Dancing about Architecture.)

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

"When asked 'how do you write?' I invariably answer, 'one word at a time', and this answer is invariably dismissed. But that's all it is. It sounds too simple to be true, but consider the Great Wall of China, if you will: one stone at a time, man. That's all. One stone at a time. But I've read you can see that motherfucker from space without a telescope."

- Stephen King
thanks 2 users thanked infinite135 for this useful post.
erich hess on 25/08/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 25/08/2012(UTC)
Offline infinite135  
#244 Posted : 27 August 2012 06:32:07(UTC)
infinite135

Man

[A Perpetual Motion Machine ; Q Magazine Cover Story]

Greg Oldson's face is lit by the dull light of the computer screen, revealing all its flaws and imperfections. There are bags under his eyes, too many to count, the skin is weathered and worn, and a grey hair can be spotted peeking out of the blonde. Music is blaring out of the laptop's thin, reedy speakers, but it's obvious that he's unimpressed by the sound. He listens for several more seconds to the abstract, minimalist piano interlude, before shaking his head decisively and cutting off the noise with a click of the mouse. He sighs almost inaudibly, and rests his head in his hands. It's obvious, without even asking, that he's feeling a bit overwhelmed by the task at hand. He is, without question, the most unenviable man in the world.

And how could he not be? It's been five years since Wembley Stadium, a night that has haunted his every waking hour since. The details surrounding it still remain, to this day, unclear. All that's clear are the broad, important details; Infinite performed their last concert together, Eric Quillington waved goodbye to the crowd with a smile on his face and tears in his eyes, before backstage and overdosing on heroin. A career once filled with promise and wonder, magic and chaos, ended in the most brutal, heartbreaking form imaginable. It's taken an eternity, but one former drummer has finally found the courage to pick up the pieces, and carry on.

"Alright, let's try again," Greg Oldson says to the redheaded girl, and the (perhaps, we all hope, formally) suicidal bassist he's flanked by, "I'm gonna bring out more of the vocal this time, if no one objects..."

He doesn't wait for an answer. The voice, once spectral, now takes full center. And what a voice it is. For a time, it captivated the world. It's mighty and cracked, alien and familiar, all at once. Eric Quillington may be gone, but his resonance still remains, always and forever. And no one knew him better than Greg Oldson. Though he's spent the past five years running away from the memory of the iconic frontman, time has a funny way of catching up with us. In between takes of recording the music for Light in Motion, him and I have a little chat about the last few days of Infinite's singer, guitarist, lyricist, heart, and soul.

__

What was Eric Quillington like, towards the end?

"I don't think you would have recognized him. Very, very thin, very frail, and always wearing these giant black sunglasses. He was hiding himself for the first time, I think, which shook me to the core. If you knew him, you'd know that he was always someone who held nothing back. If he had an idea, even if it was crap, he'd shout it from mountaintops. Eric was, as you'd expect, a motormouth the likes of which I'd never, ever seen before. So for him to shut himself off like that was... scary.

He couldn't really play guitar or piano like he used to, which bothered him to absolutely no end. He was still fantastic at what he did, it just didn't have that old... I dunno, edge. His hands were always shaking, and he hid them in his pockets as best as he could. And he never spoke about his disease; that was the elephant in the room. If we could get any words out of him, it'd be about the music. Nothing more, nothing less. He fell off the world, and away from everyone who loved him. In retrospect, I think we should have tried harder to bring him back."

Did he display any suicidal tendencies?

"No. At least, none that breached through my thick skull. He did mention several times about how Wembley was the 'end'. And like an idiot, I assumed that he was talking about his career. I believed that he would've gotten better once he left Infinite, and the stress it brought. Not physically, of course, but mentally, emotionally. And I still believe that. If he would've held on for just a little bit longer, he'd have... next question please."

What was the Wembley concert like, in Eric's last few hours?

"Unbelievably uplifting. We played at the top of our game, and Eric shone like an angel. That might sound sappy or melodramatic, but it was so true. Throughout his life, he'd always cast a cynical eye on his past. He was never content to just go onstage and rehash the old classics. When it came to performing, it was either the most recent album, or nothing. So to hear, and see, him put his whole heart into songs like 'Supernova' and 'Fusion Paranoia' was nothing short of breathtaking.

Playing like that, before everyone who mattered, our friends and lovers, was the greatest feeling in the world. And the final embrace, and bow, before the crowd felt like euphoria. Our lives had built up to this, and we succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. It felt like this huge burden had been lifted off my chest. Eric was leaving, but Infinite could continue without him. We'd be okay. That feeling lasted for about five minutes backstage. We walked off together, the four of us, like a family. Eric shook up a bottle of champagne, and sprayed it all over Amelia, laughing happily. And he was skipping, literally skipping, with joy. He stopped before a dressing room, saying that he wanted to get changed out of his sweaty clothes. He kissed each of us on the cheek in this jokey, French-esque manner, took one final bow, walked in the room, and closed the door."

And that was the final time you saw him?

"Yeah. It didn't feel like anything monumental at the time. We all just rolled our eyes, like 'oh, what are we going to do with that one!', and continued on our merry way. But something started to feel wrong. It happened slowly, like a migraine, this creeping sickness. I don't remember which of us it was, it might even have been me, who suggested that we go back and check on Eric. The whole thing was odd; this was party time, our moment to shine! Who gives a fuck about sweaty clothes, y'know? So we go back, and knock on the door. No answer. I don't think any of us were all that worried yet. Amelia was tugging on my arm, telling me that he'll catch up with us. I shook my head, and opened the door. What I saw broke my heart.

It's the little moments that stick out in my mind. There was music in the air; U2's 'Achtung Baby', Eric's favorite album. A note was tapped to the mirror, written in Eric's beautiful little scribbles. And lying on the floor, motionless, with a needle still in his arm, was my best friend. Someone screamed, and I thought at first that it was Amelia. But then I realized that my mouth was open, and noise was coming out. She did join in after a moment, when the initial shock wore off. Matt just stood there, looking like the wind had been knocked out of him.

Some morbid sense of ceremony took hold. Without thinking, I took the note, and read it aloud, my voice shaking and sobbing. Matt was crying at this point, too, which just nailed it home for me. Matt's the most stoic, controlled person I've ever known. He has never shed a tear in the decade I've known him. So to see him like that, on the verge of hysterics..."

Do you want to stop?

"I'm fine. The sense of ceremony was still there, telling me that others had to know. A proclamation had to be made. I motioned to the others to follow, and we walked back on stage. People were still cheering, still chanting our name to the high heavens. When they saw the three of us reappear, it was like all their dreams had come true. The cries of happiness died away pretty quickly, though. I don't remember how Amelia had gotten the note, but I'm glad she did. I didn't have the strength to read that note...

'These words will be mythologized more than anything I’ve ever written for a song. And that’s a shame, really, because I already poured all I have to give in the music. There’s nothing else that really needs to be said; this honestly feels like I’m writing out a grocery list. I’ll never see PANIC reunite with Ryan Ross Hernandez, I’ll never see Jason go through his fat Elvis period and play at Vegas, I’ll never see Glamazon continue to be the greatest human being on the planet, and I’ll never see Amelia Florentine soar as the new singer of Infinite. But you will. And I promise, each of these moments in your life will be just as poignant and worthwhile, with or without me'.

You never forget something like that. At least, I didn't. It spread throughout the world pretty quickly. At first, it seemed to unreal, too over-the-top. 'Singer overdoses mere minutes after farewell gig'. But that's Eric for you; even with suicide, he was the best showman on earth. I can't say that I know what each individual reaction to his death was. There have been many, many musical tributes following his death, so I'm sure a few people were affected. All I know is how I personally dealt with it; I retreated to the far reaches of the Earth, and drank myself into a stupor. I think, looking back, I wanted to follow him."

Let's stop talking about the past. What about the future? Will Infinite finish after Light in Motion?

"It finished with Eric's death. This is just the postscript, the afterwards at the end of a book. Eric Quillington didn't want to end his career with 'Dancing about Architecture'; it was a good album, but he didn't want that to be his swan song. He wanted this album to have that honor. And we respect his wishes. This is his band, even now."

__

And with that, our interview was at in end. As expected, it was heartfelt and more than just a little depressing. But that's pretty much the only way to describe Greg Oldson these days. Once a bohemian, swaggering rock star who'd get in brawls with bandmates one minute and drunkenly crash his cars the next, both death and life have changed him in unexpected ways. He's a bearded recluse, a musician who maintains a respectable distance from the rest of the world, devoted entirely to his art. This devotion, this commitment, is exactly what Infinite's final album needs to see the light of day. Though envied by none, his greatest success may be mere moments away.

Nick Junk - Vocals, Mojo

Matt Roberts - Bass

UserPostedImage

- Stephen King
thanks 2 users thanked infinite135 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 27/08/2012(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/08/2012(UTC)