logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old.gregg  
#21 Posted : 28 March 2009 08:13:36(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I dislike the majority of Metal, though some of it can be alright, even good on the right occasions. I'll stick with my pop shit :P
-
Offline Captain Insano  
#22 Posted : 28 March 2009 08:54:02(UTC)
Captain Insano

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
forkboy wrote:

Metal needs a lot less metalcore, Killswitch Engage/Trivium type drivel.

I do beleive that Matt Heafy of Trivium once called anyone that didn't like Trivium 'pussy's' which gave me a good chuckle. As far as metal goes they are pretty light on. I'll admit I did have an interest at one stage but I despise them now. Metalcore as a whole is a blight on metal, look at what Cryptopsy have gone and done on 'The Unspoken King'. Now it's not a bad album, though nowhere near 'Whisper Supremacy' or that, 'Worship Your Demons' is pretty damn viscous, but it just came across as ordinary. The clean vocals were weak. I want Lord Worm back dammit!

UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#23 Posted : 28 March 2009 08:59:15(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
See, I think most metalcore is tripe (like the new Cryptopsy). But there's a couple of bands out there I don't mind. God Forbid are far better than they have any right to be.
Offline forkboy  
#24 Posted : 28 March 2009 09:39:22(UTC)
forkboy

Regan wrote:
My favorite lately would be All That Remains. Also, I know he isn't metal but Marilyn Manson put out a new song today. Also his first single from his new album leaked out too. There both good but not as good as he claims they are in the interviews I've read so far about it. He won't never be able to make an album like Antichrist Superstar again.

I don't even want to hear his name single. And Mechanical Animals is surely one of my top 25 records ever, it's just a fantastic collection of music. But since after Holy Wood it's all gone baaaaaad.
Offline Thorgrim  
#25 Posted : 29 March 2009 06:03:17(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
So essentially all you listen to is Iron Maiden, and Iron Maiden wannabes?

Give me gothic pussy shit with violins like My Dying Bride over that lack of variety any day.

What's wrong with being inspired by a band that has released two milestones of heavy metal and is one of the most important bands in the development of the genre itself? I also seem to have the idea that you're not too familiar with the genre, since I only compared two out of six bands listed in my post to MAIDEN. Besides that, who needs variety when you've got riffs, harmonies, solos, pounding drums, powerful bass and helium high vocals? We're not talking about art, movies or literature here - this is metal.

To be honest with you, I don't like much post-"Killers" MAIDEN anyway. Can't stand Dickinson. Give me JUDAS PRIEST any time of day.
Offline forkboy  
#26 Posted : 29 March 2009 06:39:56(UTC)
forkboy

That's where you and I differ. Metal can be art, if it's done by clever people. Ulver for example.

And no, you are right, I'm not too keen on Iron Maiden tribute bands, it bores the shite out of me to be honest. Rather listen to something nasty, dirty & slow myself.
Offline The Nimrods  
#27 Posted : 29 March 2009 09:19:44(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Captain Insano wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Metal needs a lot less metalcore, Killswitch Engage/Trivium type drivel.

I do beleive that Matt Heafy of Trivium once called anyone that didn't like Trivium 'pussy's' which gave me a good chuckle. As far as metal goes they are pretty light on. I'll admit I did have an interest at one stage but I despise them now. Metalcore as a whole is a blight on metal, look at what Cryptopsy have gone and done on 'The Unspoken King'. Now it's not a bad album, though nowhere near 'Whisper Supremacy' or that, 'Worship Your Demons' is pretty damn viscous, but it just came across as ordinary. The clean vocals were weak. I want Lord Worm back dammit!

I live Trivium their new Shogun album was actually pretty heavy and very progressive, I thought it was good
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline SuicideParty  
#28 Posted : 29 March 2009 19:46:56(UTC)
SuicideParty

forkboy wrote:
Regan wrote:
My favorite lately would be All That Remains. Also, I know he isn't metal but Marilyn Manson put out a new song today. Also his first single from his new album leaked out too. There both good but not as good as he claims they are in the interviews I've read so far about it. He won't never be able to make an album like Antichrist Superstar again.

I don't even want to hear his name single. And Mechanical Animals is surely one of my top 25 records ever, it's just a fantastic collection of music. But since after Holy Wood it's all gone baaaaaad.

The new manson with twiggy back is amazing!
Offline Aj  
#29 Posted : 29 March 2009 20:52:41(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
SuicideParty wrote:
forkboy wrote:
Regan wrote:

The new manson with twiggy back is amazing!

Just wanna say first, that thats a double negative. you should have said he wont be able to make an album like antichrist superstar again, otherwise what you said means he will. and secoundly, i dont think its gone that bad, i quite liked his new direction with the kinda electro sound to it. just a thought :)
Offline SuicideParty  
#30 Posted : 29 March 2009 20:54:35(UTC)
SuicideParty

Heart shaped glasses is amazing!
Offline Aj  
#31 Posted : 29 March 2009 20:59:11(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
SuicideParty wrote:
Heart shaped glasses is amazing!

exactly!
Offline Thorgrim  
#32 Posted : 30 March 2009 00:50:32(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
That's where you and I differ. Metal can be art, if it's done by clever people. Ulver for example.

And no, you are right, I'm not too keen on Iron Maiden tribute bands, it bores the shite out of me to be honest. Rather listen to something nasty, dirty & slow myself.

When is something art then, and when is something "just music"? So why is ULVER supposed to be art and a 80s sounding heavy metal band not? And on another note: I'd hardly consider ULVER "metal" anymore, since their last metal album was "Nattens Madrigal".

Nothing wrong with doom, as long as it isn't the slow death metal crap they call "doomdeath" and "funeral doom" or drone shit. CANDLEMASS, PAGAN ALTAR, TROUBLE and SOLSTICE are three of my alltime faves.
Offline Thorgrim  
#33 Posted : 30 March 2009 00:52:06(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Captain Insano wrote:

I do beleive that Matt Heafy of Trivium once called anyone that didn't like Trivium 'pussy's' which gave me a good chuckle.

Hahaha, that cracked me up. I'd better watch out then for all the 15 year old, 50 pound TRIVIUM fanboy kids that are gonna kick my ass, since I'm such a pussy.. :')
Offline forkboy  
#34 Posted : 30 March 2009 01:38:22(UTC)
forkboy

Thorgrim wrote:
forkboy wrote:

When is something art then, and when is something "just music"? So why is ULVER supposed to be art and a 80s sounding heavy metal band not? And on another note: I'd hardly consider ULVER "metal" anymore, since their last metal album was "Nattens Madrigal".

Nothing wrong with doom, as long as it isn't the slow death metal crap they call "doomdeath" and "funeral doom" or drone shit. CANDLEMASS, PAGAN ALTAR, TROUBLE and SOLSTICE are three of my alltime faves.

Ulver are metal in the broadest (and best in my opinion) sense. What's more metal than recording exactly what you want to?

Also, I hate to be pernickity, but you posted 4 all time faves :P Made me chuckle anyhoo. And yes, I love drone, funeral doom, death doom, classic doom, sludge, and pretty much every other ridiculous classification of doom that's ever been thought up.
Offline Gildermershina  
#35 Posted : 30 March 2009 01:46:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Thorgrim wrote:
forkboy wrote:

Here, I won't hear anything bad said about the noble pursuit of that most simple and affecting of musical constructs, the drone, especially with the weight and visceral thrill inherent in the context of a metal aesthetic. Also a tin teardop.

"Drone doom" as a genre, is largely a misrepresentation of the drone, for it can appear in all forms of music to some degree. Bagpipes have drone pipes that each blare out a continues note; likewise the pipe organ uses pedals and stops to control drones; Sitars, and other Indian instruments too.

Anyway, I like the drone doom because a) it's not so full of metal bravado and cock-waving and b) I prefer longer, better notes, to shorter, less important notes.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Captain Insano  
#36 Posted : 30 March 2009 11:02:52(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I still consider Ulver very much metal even though their sound, if we want to be picky about it, has gone way beyond 'Nattens..'. Even the venerable extreme metal mag Terrorizer still loves them to bits.

I love my doom, the more bleak, depressed and full of rage the better, particularly 'Song of Darkness...' era My Dying Bride.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Gorloche  
#37 Posted : 01 April 2009 10:57:56(UTC)
Gorloche

I tend to cast a fairly wide net when it comes to metal. Recently, I've been digging Mastodon (CTS is another god damn masterpiece and I have to catch their new tour; they have Kylesa and Intronaut with them), but I'm extremely excited for the new Dream Theater album. I caught the Meshuggah/Cynic/The Faceless tour recently and it was phenomenal. Seeing Cynic live was a dream come true, Meshuggah was just as amazing as I thought they would be and the Faceless were actually pretty cool. One of my favorite metal shows was one I saw last year, though: Opeth/High on Fire/Baroness. That was a phenomenal show. Looking forward to the Opeth/Enslaved tour coming up in May. Also, new ISIS record coming out soon, who are one of the greatest live bands ever.
Offline forkboy  
#38 Posted : 01 April 2009 12:16:38(UTC)
forkboy

I hate Dream Theater. That whole shtick is just not something I get in the slightest. Aside from Train In Thought, which is a Metallica tribute record to my ears, everything they do is just utterly embarrassing.

I just want to get that off my chest. Dream Theater are like U2 for me. Can't stop hating
Offline Thorgrim  
#39 Posted : 03 April 2009 04:50:53(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

forkboy wrote:
I hate Dream Theater. That whole shtick is just not something I get in the slightest. Aside from Train In Thought, which is a Metallica tribute record to my ears, everything they do is just utterly embarrassing.

I just want to get that off my chest. Dream Theater are like U2 for me. Can't stop hating

Same here. Modern "prog metal" bores me to tears. Even FATES WARNING, who released two brilliant prog/power metal LPs in the 80s, are now about as exciting as a BEATLES reunion. Back then what was called prog metal was basically a mix of RUSH and classic British bands (for example QUEENSRYCHE, CRIMSON GLORY, LETHAL, SACRED WARRIOR and relatively obscure bands like SCARLET RAYNE, OBLIVION KNIGHT and DEAD CALM) and not a stupid wankfest like DREAM THEATER. Not to mention the vocalist's abilities live.... Why listen to another DREAM THEATER record that sounds exactly like the last one, when you can listen to mindblowing records, like FATES WARNING's "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken The Guardian" and SACRED WARRIOR's "Rebellion"?

I hate U2. If there is a band out there that I don't "get", it's U2.

Gildermershina wrote:
Here, I won't hear anything bad said about the noble pursuit of that most simple and affecting of musical constructs, the drone, especially with the weight and visceral thrill inherent in the context of a metal aesthetic. Also a tin teardop.

"Drone doom" as a genre, is largely a misrepresentation of the drone, for it can appear in all forms of music to some degree. Bagpipes have drone pipes that each blare out a continues note; likewise the pipe organ uses pedals and stops to control drones; Sitars, and other Indian instruments too.

Anyway, I like the drone doom because a) it's not so full of metal bravado and cock-waving and b) I prefer longer, better notes, to shorter, less important notes.

I can remember discussing about "drone" a while ago on the old forums with you, but I just can't be bothered now. You like it, I think it's pretentious shite. To each their own huh?
Offline tension101  
#40 Posted : 03 April 2009 05:07:20(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Regan wrote:

Bleh, MM got old after his first album. It's the same shit over and over with him.

But personally, I've been listening to lotsuv underground metal lately. Like stuff you'd hear at a battle of the bands.

There's this really cool Melodic Death Metal band called The Bloodening, who are now one of my favorite bands.

But I'm also looking forward to seeing Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and God Forbid. That'd be fun to go to.
Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.