logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<8910
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#181 Posted : 19 January 2013 10:02:38(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Just purchased the entire 8 season box set of That 70s Show for 80 pounds. Decent deal for what is, without doubt, my personal favourite sitcom of all time. It made me laugh, cry, smile, everything first time round. Can't wait to watch it all again.
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#182 Posted : 19 January 2013 11:02:34(UTC)
Walton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
I wanna see that new movie Mama. Even though I won't be able to sleep at night, I'll try to watch it :O lol.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#183 Posted : 20 January 2013 00:46:04(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Seen The Hobbit two weeks ago, thought it was pretty good. It kinda took the same course as The Fellowship did. Still really good show and im excited for the next two chapters.

Anyone else seen it?
retired x
Offline DistortedAudio  
#184 Posted : 20 January 2013 01:07:02(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Decided to try a new anime out. Last full thing I've seen was [C] - The Power of Money, which was really cool because it had the type of message that the only way to win at the game of economics was to sometimes lose. I felt like it might be one of the better things I've seen. The last thing I really really liked was Gurren Lagann. It had everything I wanted in a tv show/anime.

Trying out Madoka Magica which is something a few of my friends have recommended.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline Gildermershina  
#185 Posted : 20 January 2013 18:39:18(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Seen The Hobbit two weeks ago, thought it was pretty good. It kinda took the same course as The Fellowship did. Still really good show and im excited for the next two chapters.

Anyone else seen it?

Yeah, it's cool. But they stopped just short of my favourite part of the book (Mirkwood).

I just saw Django Unchained. Completely fucking ridiculous and awesome. When it goes all Tarantino towards the end, it's massively cathartic. Christoph Waltz is really great in it. Jamie Foxx too. And DiCaprio to boot. Also, got a kick out of a certain cameo.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#186 Posted : 21 January 2013 03:54:03(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Well yeah, nobody is going to be happy with a Tarantino cameo because the guy remains a painfully bad actor
Offline Gildermershina  
#187 Posted : 21 January 2013 04:54:07(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: forkboy Go to Quoted Post
Well yeah, nobody is going to be happy with a Tarantino cameo because the guy remains a painfully bad actor

He's not so bad, I think the problem is that you know he's Tarantino, so you can't take him seriously as a character in his own movies. That whole "dead nigger storage" scene from Pulp Fiction remains awesome though.

Also, Tarantino's whole thing of contextually anachronistic/seemingly inappropriate soundtrack choices is still fucking cool and surprising after all these many movies.
Offline DistortedAudio  
#188 Posted : 21 January 2013 05:03:24(UTC)
DistortedAudio

Man

Was thanked: 1784 time(s) in 975 post(s)
Wasn't too big a fan of Foxx's acting but Waltz remains amazing. Calvin Candy is an amazing villain. Also everything that Samuel Jackson did in that film was great.
UserPostedImage

I feel numb, born with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun

EARN BY WORKING LIKE A DOG
SPEND LIKE ROYALTY
Offline forkboy  
#189 Posted : 21 January 2013 05:29:45(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gildermershina Go to Quoted Post

He's not so bad, I think the problem is that you know he's Tarantino, so you can't take him seriously as a character in his own movies. That whole "dead nigger storage" scene from Pulp Fiction remains awesome though.

Also, Tarantino's whole thing of contextually anachronistic/seemingly inappropriate soundtrack choices is still fucking cool and surprising after all these many movies.

No, he's bad. And it's made worse by how often his movies have incredible casts. I mean the dead nigger storage scene was terrific. But it was John Travolta & Sam Jackson plus a guy who makes Keanu look like an Oscar winner. It was good because it was fantastically written & well directed. That's what QT does.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#190 Posted : 30 January 2013 03:19:29(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Just watched St Elmo's Fire again. Man, movies like that make me wish I was an 80's kid.

BRING BACK THE BRAT PACK! Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez and the lot of them, we need a Brat Pack.
retired x
Offline Gildermershina  
#191 Posted : 30 January 2013 12:52:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

No, he's bad. And it's made worse by how often his movies have incredible casts. I mean the dead nigger storage scene was terrific. But it was John Travolta & Sam Jackson plus a guy who makes Keanu look like an Oscar winner. It was good because it was fantastically written & well directed. That's what QT does.

The question is, what makes a good actor. I mean people can say person X is a bad actor, but what actually qualifies such a judgement. I think a good actor is able to convince an audience of their character and their characters actions and emotions. Lead actors obviously need to use a degree of subtlety, but character actors get to really exaggerate and create a memorable performance within a certain stereotype. And Tarantino, for my money, is a passable character actor provided for a scene or two. I just think the fact that he's a well known figure as a director makes it instantly obvious that he's the odd one out.

I'm sort of over-defending him here. Yes, he's a not a good actor, but jeez, it's not like he's ruining his own movies by appearing in them too much. Unlike M. Night Shalamalamalomalolamaylianolammcouldn'tbebotheredtolookuphowyouspellthatfuckhimanywayolamo'hanrohan.
Offline asdf  
#192 Posted : 30 January 2013 17:24:38(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)

The question is, what makes a good actor. I mean people can say person X is a bad actor, but what actually qualifies such a judgement. I think a good actor is able to convince an audience of their character and their characters actions and emotions. Lead actors obviously need to use a degree of subtlety, but character actors get to really exaggerate and create a memorable performance within a certain stereotype. And Tarantino, for my money, is a passable character actor provided for a scene or two. I just think the fact that he's a well known figure as a director makes it instantly obvious that he's the odd one out.

I'm sort of over-defending him here. Yes, he's a not a good actor, but jeez, it's not like he's ruining his own movies by appearing in them too much. Unlike M. Night Shalamalamalomalolamaylianolammcouldn'tbebotheredtolookuphowyouspellthatfuckhimanywayolamo'hanrohan.

The problem I have with Tarantino is definitely not his acting in the movies he directs. It's the fact that he directs the movie he directs.
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline Gildermershina  
#193 Posted : 31 January 2013 13:37:55(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: asdf Go to Quoted Post

The problem I have with Tarantino is definitely not his acting in the movies he directs. It's the fact that he directs the movie he directs.

While it is true that all of Tarantino's movies are shite... Wait, no, the opposite is true. Fuck you.
Offline asdf  
#194 Posted : 01 February 2013 07:22:02(UTC)
asdf

Man

While it is true that all of Tarantino's movies are shite... Wait, no, the opposite is true. Fuck you.

It's just my opinion, and not one many people share with me, but when I watch his movies I feel like like I'm watching a movie. I feel like I'm seeing actors on a set acting out a movie(and a drawn out conundrum of a movie at that). He's let his own style go too far and forgotten what a "movie" actually is.

Offline Gildermershina  
#195 Posted : 01 February 2013 18:13:04(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

It's just my opinion, and not one many people share with me, but when I watch his movies I feel like like I'm watching a movie. I feel like I'm seeing actors on a set acting out a movie(and a drawn out conundrum of a movie at that). He's let his own style go too far and forgotten what a "movie" actually is.

Uh okay. I guess it's like how when I'm eating chocolate, I feel like I'm eating chocolate. I feel like I'm putting PIECES OF CHOCOLATE IN MY GODDAMN MOUTH AND CHEWING THEM AND SWALLOWING THEM. I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT "CHOCOLATE" IS...

Nah, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Offline asdf  
#196 Posted : 01 February 2013 22:44:05(UTC)
asdf

Man

Uh okay. I guess it's like how when I'm eating chocolate, I feel like I'm eating chocolate. I feel like I'm putting PIECES OF CHOCOLATE IN MY GODDAMN MOUTH AND CHEWING THEM AND SWALLOWING THEM. I'VE FORGOTTEN WHAT "CHOCOLATE" IS...

Meh, that's alright. What I meant was, that I don't feel like any of what's going on is "real". I can feel the fact that it's staged. But it's apples and oranges. You're Tarantino is my Tim Burton. Whatever that means for the both of us, I'm sure neither of us cares. :)

Offline Thunderoad  
#197 Posted : 02 February 2013 01:05:00(UTC)
Thunderoad

French Guyana

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have been watching Les Barbouzes , a few hours ago ...
Jenna Korkeilen => Bass guitar and main vocals
Talahassa Pohjoinen => Rythmic guitar
Erika de Klerk => Lead guitar
Patrick Van Woerd => Drums and backing vocals
Toshio Otoshima => All other percussions
Levy Saulnier => Synthesizers and backing vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#198 Posted : 02 February 2013 04:03:47(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Meh, that's alright. What I meant was, that I don't feel like any of what's going on is "real". I can feel the fact that it's staged. But it's apples and oranges. You're Tarantino is my Tim Burton. Whatever that means for the both of us, I'm sure neither of us cares. :)

Well out of those two examples, Tim Burton to me would seem the more staged of the two. Tarantino's thing is really good conversational dialogue, dudes just shooting the shit, usually in relatively realistic real-world settings. I mean, there's hyper-violence married to particular musical choices, that I guess could jar you out of the world a little bit, but I've never really heard anyone complain about that.

My old boss did claim Tarantino sucked because he didn't even write all his own movies. Even though he exactly did write all of them. Turns out he was talking about all those imported movies he produced, which is the dumbest fucking complaint I've ever heard. He also said he hadn't actually made a movie in ten years because he was lazy. Even though he'd actually made five. All of which he also wrote.
Offline asdf  
#199 Posted : 02 February 2013 17:18:13(UTC)
asdf

Man

Well out of those two examples, Tim Burton to me would seem the more staged of the two.

I know, he is, but I like his style; that's what I meant. It's just opinions.

I don't despise Tarantino, I just don't find his movies to be as good as his fans think they are.