logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:01:41(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
TITLE: Sympathies with Satan
ARTIST: Vile Hour (N. Fischer & C. Drake)
WRITTEN BY: N. Fischer
GENRE: Alternative rock
LENGTH: 3:51
LABEL: Chaos Records

Sympathies with Satan

Vile Hour pulls out another gem for their upcoming sophomore album, 'My Phoenixes.' The two previous singles associate this the newly announced album, So Pretty; So Lonely and Like Snakes dealt with personal things in the band's life (the first being the sense of loneliness and depression associated with being famous, and the other being Nichole Fischer's brief relationship with Erica Hess), but this newest single seems to remind the fans of Vile Hour's debut album, where the song's meanings didn't always associate to one thing in the band's life. Sympathies with Satan is less of a story about events, and more of a statement about both Nichole Fischer and Castor Drake's view on the world around them. They start off the song by talking about 'the debt collector' who is coming to break their fingers and cut out their tongues so that they can no longer make their music. Fischer goes on to sing that with her tongue cut out, she'll be forced to just sing "ah-ha-ah-ha-ah / to the top of the pop charts." The whole first verse is a stab at, firstly, the listeners who say that they're too "weird" or "bizarre" to be an enjoyable band. Because the people who listen to music are the people who keep musicians working, if the listeners (or the "debt collector," according to Miss. Fischer's lyrics) don't find Vile Hour's music enjoyable, they would metaphorically break her fingers and cut out her tongue, forcing her not to be able to make music anymore. The last part of the first verse is also a stab at the pop genre of music. Fischer states that with broken fingers and no tongue, she can still make her way to the top of the pop charts, showing how little effort she thinks it takes to be a pop star. She also works in an enjoyable reference to a Simon and Garfunkel song.

Her second verse continues on in this same judgmental attitude as she talks about the Grim Reaper, who is wildly bored and depressed because other people in the world are doing his job for him. This isn't as much of a stab at one single group of people as it is a stab at everybody in the world. After a short scat singing solo, Nichole goes on to sing about Jesus and his second coming, showing not only does she (obviously) have an opinion on the state of religion on the world, but also that she doesn't care that she's probably going to upset some people. She openly calls Jesus a "selfish bastard" for wanting a second coming, but then goes on to make a sexual joke about how "Some of us don't get to come even once." She also mentions a "sealed deal with Satan" to love everybody later in that same verse, and how the Saviour's "fans" avoid her door (talking about Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and any other Christian sect that tends to go door-to-door.) Obviously a stab at the religious people in the word who are hypocritically judgmental, and hate more than they love.

There's another scat singing solo before the song reaches it's last (and probably most offensive, if people were to get offended by this song) verse. It starts off with Nichole saying that the Grim Reaper should kill all of her critics and haters so that she'll never have to stop singing, and then ends with her suggesting that Jesus and Satan should have sex so that they can both see how intolerable they are. Although it's obviously that Nichole has only written lyrics like this to get a rise out of certain people, she also has made her point in the last part of the verse, saying that both sides of the argument (Christians and religious people vs. atheists, agnostics, non-religious people) both have their fair share of people who are annoyingly intolerant and judgmental. The long ends with another scat singing solo, this one much longer. The last line of the song is Nichole softly saying, "Oh..." before the music fades out.

The song starts out with a single guitar strumming before Vile Hour (piano and drums) joins the guitar, all of them playing a fairly upbeat tune together. The upbeat tune starts to slow down and take on a more, slightly depressing, if not ominous tone before Nichole starts singing around a minute into the song. Nichole's voice takes on it's normal, deep, emotional voice throughout the song. The whole song keeps a very slightly ominous, but still rather upbeat tone throughout the whole song, as if Nichole were happy that she's getting to share her opinions about life and the rest of the world, but also rather upset that all of her opinions tend to be negative.

See, the debt collector's coming
He's come to break my fingers
So I can't play piano any, any more
And see, the debt collector's coming
He's come to take my tongue
So I can't sing any songs any more
I'll just go, "Ah-ha-ah-ha-ah"
To the top of the pop charts
"Ah-ha-ah-ha-ah"
In your iPods
"Ah-ha-ah"
That's the sound of silence,
Simon and Garfunkel

And see, the Grim Reaper is coming
He's sharpening his scythe
Until he can see his own reflection
And you see, the Grim Reaper is crying
His business is down the drain
Because people can do it so much quicker
And cheaper, and better...

Ba-da-dum-bum, ba-dum, ba-dum
Oh
And Ba-da-dum-bum, ba-dum, ba-dum
Oh

And, you see, our Saviour's second coming
He's such a selfish bastard
Some of us don't even get to come once
And you see, his fans know to avoid my house now
Because I've signed a sealed deal with Satan
To just love everybody that I can

Oh
Oh

And you see, I think the Grim Reaper should go after
That fucking debt collector
So I can sing whenever I fucking goddamn well please
And our Saviour should just make love to Satan
So both can see that either
Are intolerable
Without the other...

Oh
Oh
Oh
Oh...

SOUNDS LIKE:
thanks 9 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
niggajones on 26/05/2013(UTC), kandii on 26/05/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 26/05/2013(UTC), Walton on 26/05/2013(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 26/05/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 27/05/2013(UTC), mebeme101 on 27/05/2013(UTC), erich hess on 27/05/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 27/05/2013(UTC)
Offline niggajones  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:08:10(UTC)
niggajones

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 739 time(s) in 493 post(s)
Sam: I'm glad one of us makes music that people actually like, or we'd be a very broke couple. In all seriousness, love the song, babe <3
Tony: Vile hour kicks ass like a metal band, while somehow still managing to be attractive. It's a very strange paradox.
Neil: Metal bands can't be attractive? Speak for yourself. *hair flip*
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked niggajones for this useful post.
erich hess on 27/05/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:21:23(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: Enter all of the stuck up religious freaks...now! ;) I'm in love with this song, it's really genius if you really listen to the lyrics and you guys ARE the weirdest duo in music which makes you even more amazing.

OOC: I really enjoyed reading this rp and the lyrics too!
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline snap_itshannah  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:21:28(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Sam: I'm glad one of us makes music that people actually like, or we'd be a very broke couple. In all seriousness, love the song, babe <3
Tony: Vile hour kicks ass like a metal band, while somehow still managing to be attractive. It's a very strange paradox.
Neil: Metal bands can't be attractive? Speak for yourself. *hair flip*

Nichole: Aw, thank you, Sam. :) I love you, and I'm glad you like my song about how much I hate everybody else on this planet. :)

Castor: Neil, if I were a woman, and you were not you, I would sleep with you.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:24:56(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Honor: Enter all of the stuck up religious freaks...now! ;) I'm in love with this song, it's really genius if you really listen to the lyrics and you guys ARE the weirdest duo in music which makes you even more amazing.

OOC: I really enjoyed reading this rp and the lyrics too!

Nichole: Aw! A reviewer likes us! Normally that doesn't happen!

Castor: Thank you, Honor.

OOC: Thank you! :)
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 26/05/2013(UTC)
User is suspended until 28/07/4752 18:55:55(UTC) Walton  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2013 13:02:31(UTC)
Walton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1998 time(s) in 1105 post(s)
Serenity Scott: Ugh, I'm in love with this song. My catholic parents would probably crucify me Jesus-style if they heard me praising this song, despite me being a grown woman. Well, who cares. This song is EPIC! ;)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2013 13:05:55(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Serenity Scott: Ugh, I'm in love with this song. My catholic parents would probably crucify me Jesus-style if they heard me praising this song, despite me being a grown woman. Well, who cares. This song is EPIC! ;)

Nichole: SERIIIIII! :) Thank you, sweetheart! I'm always happy to inspire a little parental rebellion, even if it's when through a grown adult woman. ;) love you, girl.

Edited by user 26 May 2013 14:53:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
Walton on 26/05/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2013 23:28:49(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Stinson: Vile Hour used to freak me out...as a businessman. When Scott signed them I thought...how do we market this? They are very very weird. But now I get it and they give me goosebumps. This band is magnificent and this is yet another absolute gem from them. Bravo bravo Castor and Nichole.

Ooc: Great work as always :)
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2013 01:26:11(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Stinson: Vile Hour used to freak me out...as a businessman. When Scott signed them I thought...how do we market this? They are very very weird. But now I get it and they give me goosebumps. This band is magnificent and this is yet another absolute gem from them. Bravo bravo Castor and Nichole.

Ooc: Great work as always :)

Nichole: Awww... Well, thank you for taking a chance on some weird ass folks like us. ;)

Castor: And thank you for your goosebumps!

OOC: Thank you so much!
Offline ThomasF414  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2013 01:32:17(UTC)
ThomasF414

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thomas - I absolutely love this feackin song it epic

ooc - Great job
Offline snap_itshannah  
#11 Posted : 27 May 2013 01:35:25(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Thomas - I absolutely love this feackin song it epic

ooc - Great job

Nichole: Thanks, T man! ;)

OOC: Thank you. :)
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:38:20(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
Matt: Holy shit those lyrics. I love em. The whole thing is pretty damn good.

OOC: Well done, of course. I wouldn't expect anything less.
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline snap_itshannah  
#13 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:40:22(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Matt: Holy shit those lyrics. I love em. The whole thing is pretty damn good.

OOC: Well done, of course. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Nichole: *curtsies, curtsies*

OOC: Aw, thank you so much. :)
Offline mebeme101  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2013 07:16:21(UTC)
mebeme101

Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alex: Damn I am so in love with this song and band seriously just perfect great job again

ooc: Great job on everything here really enjoyed reading it and I really love Vile Hour lol
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:34:21(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
erica:while i liked the odd ego stroke of "like snakes", what? who doesnt like songs about them? "sympathies with satan" is probably one of nichole and castor's finest works. nobody strings words together like these two.i would gladly send jehovah's witnesses to your door,coleykins. i am more than tired of getting their damned watchtower.

nina:*starts humming "all along the watchtower*

erica:yeah,they wish they were that awesome.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:15:41(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Alex: Damn I am so in love with this song and band seriously just perfect great job again

ooc: Great job on everything here really enjoyed reading it and I really love Vile Hour lol

Nichole: Aw, Alex! We love you, too! Thank you so giving us a listen!

OOC: Thank you so much! :)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#17 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:42:22(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
erica:while i liked the odd ego stroke of "like snakes", what? who doesnt like songs about them? "sympathies with satan" is probably one of nichole and castor's finest works. nobody strings words together like these two.i would gladly send jehovah's witnesses to your door,coleykins. i am more than tired of getting their damned watchtower.

Nichole: Can you fucking imagine if they really were associated with that song? Like, just how much cooler they would be after that...? Fucking awesome.
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#18 Posted : 27 May 2013 12:53:55(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: You know, I think that I'm starting to see a pattern here with your songs. A pattern of hits! Haha sorry guys I couldn't resist. Really awesome new single though. :)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

Offline erich hess  
#19 Posted : 27 May 2013 12:56:52(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17919 time(s) in 10412 post(s)
Originally Posted by: snap_itshannah Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

Nichole: Can you fucking imagine if they really were associated with that song? Like, just how much cooler they would be after that...? Fucking awesome.

erica:god yes! they would be the next....um,i cant name any jehovah rockers. they are usually pretty damn square. the best they can hope for is mormon level of donnie and marie.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#20 Posted : 27 May 2013 14:01:55(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
erica:god yes! they would be the next....um,i cant name any jehovah rockers. they are usually pretty damn square. the best they can hope for is mormon level of donnie and marie.

Castor: Please, can we not mention Donnie and Marie in a conversation about one of our songs? I'm almost slightly offended.