logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2014 07:21:51(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
TITLE: I Know (feat. Yasmine)
ARTIST: Evangeline Wolfe
WRITERS: Evangeline Wolfe, Yasmine Kiambang, & Moses Wolfe
LENGTH: 4:08
GENRE: Folk
PRODUCER: Reza Vranitzky
LABEL: FREEDOM
RELEASED: June 20th, 2014
From the Alubm: Stay Strong, Drift On (Released on: 2/23/14)

The tenth song on Evangeline's debut album, "I Know," seems to almost be a sequel to her eighth song, "A Secret My Heart Can't Keep." Both of the songs are duets - "A Secret My Heart Can't Keep" featured Carmen Grant while "I Know" features indie vocalist Yasmine - and both of them have to do with somebody not being able to admit that they're in love with somebody else. While in "A Secret My Heart Can't Keep," it was Evangeline (or Carmen Grant) that was too shy or nervous to admit that she was in love with this other person, in "I Know," it seems that the women have the knowledge, and they're waiting for their significant others to reveal their true feelings. Like many of Evangeline's songs so far, she seems to be trying to use her music to discover the way that her life could have gone if she had made different choices or lived in different universes - like in "Out," when she channeled her inner western movie star - so this song could easily be Evangeline asking, "What if the roles in that situation were reversed, and he was too nervous to tell me that he was in love with me rather than the other way around?"

Lyrically, the songs seem very much the same, almost as if they were talking about the same situation. Sound-wise, they also sound very similar, except for "A Secret My Heart Can't Keep" has a slightly country sound, while "I Know" is very distinctly folk. In both of the songs, they sing about how their smile gives it away, and how no matter how much they try to hide it, it's exceedingly obvious the other person and everybody around them that they're very much in love with each other. Evangeline continues to sing, talking about how, when he sends a letter, what he doesn't write "on that bottom line," she knows that even just the letter means that he loves her. Of course, what she meant by what he doesn't write on the bottom line is "Love, [his name]." Evangeline's voice comes in the third verse, singing about how she's glad that he's not fully speaking his emotions, because if he did, she could misinterpret them. Yasmine agrees with her in the next line, saying that she would rather believe what she feels in her heart rather than what actually may be going on in reality. Focusing on those four lines could really possibly put a damper on the entire song as the listener realizes that maybe - in fact - this isn't a sequel to "A Secret My Heart Can't Keep," but actually a foil to it, asking, "What if the person who is in love with somebody else starts becoming obsessive and thinking that the other person loves them and over-analyzing every little thing that person does, thinking that that all means that they love them?" Maybe that was Evangeline, Yasmine, and Evangeline's father - Moses' - intention of writing the song, or maybe not. It seems a little too dark for an Evangeline song, but it is a possibility. The song ends with the man leaving her house, giving her a hug and kiss, but still not saying that he loves her. As he leaves, the woman proclaims that she always knew that he loved her and that she loves him, too. The songs ends there, giving it a happy feeling for the people who want to believe that it's truly a love song to just a shy guy who's too afraid to admit that he's in love with her - or an eerie, uncomfortable feeling to anybody who thinks that maybe the speaker in the song is crazy and obsessive. Either way, it's still a good duet between two amazing indie singers.

Evangeline
Yasmine
Both

It's in our hello
And the way his smile glows
And it's in our goodbyes
And the tear in his eyes
And all in between
When he's looking at me

I know
I know
I know what he doesn't say

And it shimmers through
In the things that he can do
When he writes me a note
And he sends it by post
And what he might not sign
On that bottom line

I know
I know
I know what he doesn't say

Words are not needed
The more my ears could be mislead

My heart can hear instead of
What goes unsaid

He'll leave me with this
A hug and a kiss

Those three words he can't say
But he'll never be blue

Because I always knew
And I know
I know
I know and I love him, too

SOUNDS LIKE:
The Be Good Tanyas - The Littlest Birds

thanks 8 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 21/06/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 21/06/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/06/2014(UTC), erich hess on 21/06/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 22/06/2014(UTC), kandii on 24/06/2014(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 28/06/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 30/06/2014(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2014 23:21:59(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
Michelle: One of my personal favourites on your record, so glad that it's being released as a single! I adore the lyrics to the track and I like to think of it as a love song to just a shy guy. That's my take on it all :P Great work, girls!

OOC: I'm not one for folk music but I do love some Evangeline, one of my favourite characters of yours. I think you're a very underrated lyricist and you always produce great songs :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

Offline snap_itshannah  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2014 00:13:25(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Michelle: One of my personal favourites on your record, so glad that it's being released as a single! I adore the lyrics to the track and I like to think of it as a love song to just a shy guy. That's my take on it all :P Great work, girls!

OOC: I'm not one for folk music but I do love some Evangeline, one of my favourite characters of yours. I think you're a very underrated lyricist and you always produce great songs :)

Evangeline: Aww! Thank you so much, Michelle! It was one of our favorites, too, so we just knew it had to be released as a single! I like to think of it as a love song to a shy guy, too! I don't know where this idea came from that it's about me being obsessed with some guy... Probably from Yasmine. ;) just kidding. But thank you so much again!

OOC: Thank you so so so much. :) That really means a lot to me. That's my ultimate goal: To get everybody to eventually like folk music, one Evangeline song at a time. ;) kidding. But thank you! :)
Offline freestylechamp  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2014 02:04:38(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Kidd: I don't think the newcomer could have went to ANYBODY else but you. You have been doing some great work and it has been a great time listening to you.

OOC: Really great work, you do some of your best work with those feature songs.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2014 02:56:17(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Kidd: I don't think the newcomer could have went to ANYBODY else but you. You have been doing some great work and it has been a great time listening to you.

OOC: Really great work, you do some of your best work with those feature songs.

Evangeline: Thank you so much, Kidd! I wouldn't think a musician like you would like the type of music that I make! I really appreciate that. :)

OOC: Thank you so much. :) I do my best when I'm working with other people. ;) teamwork. Lol

Edited by user 22 June 2014 04:17:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2014 01:56:57(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Stephanie Fierce: Always had a thing for Folk music, I think I just love you Evangeline Wolfe!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2014 04:13:45(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Stephanie Fierce: Always had a thing for Folk music, I think I just love you Evangeline Wolfe!

Evangeline: Aww, thank you so much, Stephanie! I think I just love you, too! Hehehehe. :)
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
stephaniewazhere on 28/06/2014(UTC)
Offline VoS_Music  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2014 01:30:12(UTC)
VoS_Music

Antarctica

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nazarenus Exterminatore: A truly beautiful song. I do rather enjoy some folk music from time to time - it helps open up my mind. Perhaps not the sort of thing one would expect the guitarist of Valley of Slaughter to listen to. But hey, I don't care! (PS. Don't tell Ardens this, even though I know he secretly loves it too...)

OOC: Man. I wish I could actually make good songs. I guess I'll learn.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2014 01:37:35(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Nazarenus Exterminatore: A truly beautiful song. I do rather enjoy some folk music from time to time - it helps open up my mind. Perhaps not the sort of thing one would expect the guitarist of Valley of Slaughter to listen to. But hey, I don't care! (PS. Don't tell Ardens this, even though I know he secretly loves it too...)

OOC: Man. I wish I could actually make good songs. I guess I'll learn.

Evangeline: Oh, good! Thank you so much! I'm always so shocked by the large diversity of people that like my music! It just makes me so happy! :) Your secret is safe with me, sir, I won't tell a soul. Hehehehe. Thank you again!

OOC: Aw, thanks! :) This is one of the best places to get better at it, I promise.
Offline genocidal king  
#10 Posted : 29 June 2014 09:55:18(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: there's a reason they gave this girl best newcomer. Because no one can touch her. And this song just shows that the awards will be rolling in for years to come! Wonderful as always, Eva.
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#11 Posted : 29 June 2014 10:00:42(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Katie: there's a reason they gave this girl best newcomer. Because no one can touch her. And this song just shows that the awards will be rolling in for years to come! Wonderful as always, Eva.

Evangeline: Awww, Katie! Thank you so much, missy! I'm still shocked that I won Best Newcomer, but I hope to keep on doing my listeners proud! :)

PS - You're naming your daughter Evangeline, right? ;) just kidding!
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#12 Posted : 30 June 2014 05:52:47(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: What a beautiful song. I think I'm in love now. Your voice is amazing and quite memorizing.

Ooc: Really awesome lyrics. :D
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

Offline snap_itshannah  
#13 Posted : 30 June 2014 06:59:57(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Kourtney: What a beautiful song. I think I'm in love now. Your voice is amazing and quite memorizing.

Ooc: Really awesome lyrics. :D

Evangeline: Awww, thank you, Kourtney! :) Thank you so much. Yasmine's voice is what made the song so amazing, honestly. She's wonderful!

OOC: Thank you so much! :)
Princess_Valentine on 30/06/2014(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#14 Posted : 30 June 2014 23:36:51(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Nevaeh: You are such a breath of fresh air. Everything you do is stellar and it such an honorr to have you apart of the label :) my favorite track taken from the album btw! This and Out :P
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline Andre Gandra  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2014 08:12:07(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Abie: I'm so obsessed by your music Evangeline. I really am, such a talent you have and no doubt you deserve all the success in this world!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#16 Posted : 01 July 2014 08:28:20(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Nevaeh: You are such a breath of fresh air. Everything you do is stellar and it such an honorr to have you apart of the label :) my favorite track taken from the album btw! This and Out :P

Evangeline: Aw, thank you so much, Mrs. Martinez! I hope I keep making you proud! This is one of my favorite tracks on the album as well! I just love Yasmine!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#17 Posted : 01 July 2014 08:30:03(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Abie: I'm so obsessed by your music Evangeline. I really am, such a talent you have and no doubt you deserve all the success in this world!

Evangeline: Awww, Abie, thank you! Hearing that you're obsessed with me?! That's so crazy! I love you! Thank you again!
Andre Gandra on 01/07/2014(UTC)