logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2024 04:06:36(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist: Billy, Kara Romero, Kidd Amaze
Title: Model Citizen
Genre(s): Trip Hop
Length: 4:39
Writer(s): B.Khan, Kidd Amaze
Producer(s): Deneil
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: BILAL

Model Citizen is a song by British singer-songwriter Billy, featuring Spanish-American singer-songwriter Kara Romero, and American rapper Kidd Amaze. It was released as the seventh single from his upcoming debut studio album, "BILAL". After being via his social media platforms on March 6, 2024 the track was officially released two days later on the 8th through Five Pesky Kids Records. An early solo version of the track was written and recorded as far back as 2020 before being overhauled and reworked during studio sessions in early 2023. "Model Citizen" follows on from the critically acclaimed release of "The Entertainer", a rap/R&B song which topped the Chart Heat Singles Top 20 and served as a rebooted leading single for the album. Like his previous release, "Model Citizen" was also produced by Khan's younger brother, Deneil. The song has been dubbed by Billy as his "most important to date". The trip-hop song immediately garnered media attention even prior to release due to the multiple high profile names featured on the collaboration, and also debuting a day before the highly anticipated UMA's.

Writing & Production

Lyrically, "Model Citizen" is politically charged and references both Khan's lived experiences growing up in Hackney throughout the 1990's and 2000's, while simultaneously reflecting upon current issues across the globe today. A heavy portion of the song revolves around the untimely deaths of the unfortunate and underprivileged, whether that be from gang violence or complications of societal neglect. Khan briefly spent some time being classed as homeless as a teenager, also finding himself in the care system, thus drawing on many personal experiences. As the song features artists from different continents, the song does not name any specific figures within their firing line in order to maintain a "universal sound", however, Khan has stated that the song is aimed at government officials and policing bodies. He claims that the song is a call to arms against "People who have a duty of care and are just neglectful. People who have so much power and use it for bad."

Known for a highly-sexed public image and "bad boy" persona, Khan often taps into that within his music. Several of his songs feature explicit content and regularly see him play a caricature of himself as perceived by the media. Billy made a conscious decision to tap into all aspects of his personality on his debut album, often offsetting a "typical Billy release" by following it up with a softer, more personal one. Khan knew that he wanted a politically charged song on his album, one focusing on social injustices. Throughout several interviews and statements, Billy has showcased how proud he is of his identity as a Pakistani bisexual who grew up in a deprived area, willingly becoming a voice for several marginalised groups. "I have this gift and golden opportunity. Not many people like me get to be in this position. I couldn't NOT get behind a mic and speak out. The fun and freaky songs are one thing. Real shit like this? That's what I do it for", opined Billy in his British Vogue feature.

In late 2022, Khan brought Kara Romero onto the song and reworked on it yet again with a major overhaul of the lyrics to suit a collaboration between a British and Spanish-American act, removing certain references that would only be understood by the British market. The song would continually be worked on before Khan decided to approach Kidd Amaze for a verse. In Kidd's verse, the rapper speaks on issues such as race, equality, transphobia, and women's reproductive rights. Amaze fires off a string of questions to the oppressors, occasionally mocking their small-minded ways of thinking on several lines. With Kidd joining the line-up and adding his own spin, "Model Citizen" achieved the soundscape that Khan had been working on and envisioning for several years.

Production throughout the entire timeline was handled by Deneil, Khan's younger brother and rapper in his own right. While a vocal performer himself, Billy purposely avoided a feature from Deneil on his specific track as he feared it'd come across as a "vanity project" for the siblings, taking away from the bigger picture and important message he wanted to encapsulate. "Model Citizen" in its very early days started out as a traditional piano ballad before quickly morphing into a trip hop song, elevating elements of "drama". The final 2024 released version includes slight "electronic buzzes" in parts of the song, creating a jarring sense of darkness and urgency. It ends with the original piano production that was initially axed years prior. The tinkering of the keys winds the listener down, juxtaposing the hectic and climactic crescendo of the electronic trip-hop beats built up in the latter half of the song.

Background & Release

Khan initially wrote a version of the song as early as 2020, always intended on inclusion for the album. However, after realising the importance of such a political piece, he refrained from releasing it too hastily. Instead, Billy constantly reworked and refined the song for almost four full years. The landscape of the world and its social issues drastically changed upon entering the decade of the 2020s, allowing Billy to expand upon his statements several times over. Billy, a known supporter of the UK's Labour Party, has vehemently spoken out against the Conservative Party, the ruling opposition, repeatedly over the years. A lot of the inspiration for the song was drawn from his experience living under their 15-year-long rule. As the song lay in wait and evolved into a collaboration, Khan shifted his focus from a national perspective to an international one. "Model Citizen" morphed from being a story of life on the rough streets of London, to a much bigger tale. References of gun crimes and wars were added. Kidd Amaze's verse also touches upon several other social issues and small-minded perceptions. After many rewrites, bringing other artists into the project, and reworking the production, Khan eventually deduced that the song was finished.

The song was released several months after his last success in "The Entertainer" as Khan has repeatedly claimed that he wants each single to "have its own moment" before the full album is released. The track was announced on March 6th, 2024 by Khan alongside the artwork and a caption branding it "The Big One". "Model Citizen" officially premiered on March 8th, 2024. The artwork is a simple black and white image of Khan adorning a black leather jacket, looking off to his right with a rather introspective expression upon his face. The stripped back image helps reflect the serious tone and content of "Model Citizen" whereas several previous artworks of Khan have featured a sexier image, even appearing naked once.

Billy:
Quote:
"This is probably the most important song I've ever worked on in my career. A lot of my lyricism is brash and filled with bravado. I'm partial to a rude rhyming scheme and some overly cocky swagger. That's one side of me but I wanted this album to showcase absolutely everything I am and all that I feel and believe in. When it's time to get serious, I'm really fucking serious. "Model Citizen" is that moment and it's what I'm most proud of on this record. For me, the song sums up both my lived experience growing up in a very poor, underfunded and violent era and also the current state of the world. There's a lot of divide and conquer tactics going on. A lot of dehumanising. There are people, kids even, being blown to smithereens. Folk being murdered and attacked on the daily. Families at food banks, struggling to heat their homes in 2024. They're all just "statistics", though. That's how those in charge want you to see them. They're not real people. "Just you keep looking ahead, pay your taxes, don't question shit and give us a vote at the next election, yeah?" That's the warped mentality of those in charge. Don't question a thing otherwise YOU are the problem. YOU are getting in the way. It's totally not down to corruption, power play, dick-swinging, deep-rooted faults within the structure of our society. No, it's the common man expressing concern for his neighbour."

"When you're underfunded and really need raised up, they don't care. They want to forget about you. Where I lived in Hackney and then falling into the care system, I've seen all that shit. Certain areas of the map are just forgotten about. You're the nation's dark secret. They hope you'll just stay silent and eventually die off. You're not given the help, education, and support. That goes to the ones who don't need it as much. I even see it in my work today. The amount of free shit I've been offered as a "celebrity"...it's sick. I don't need a free car. I can afford one. Why do we continue to fall over our feet after the rich man and turn our noses up at the less fortunate? This song is an ode to those we've lost because people have turned a blind eye and it's also a middle finger to the blackhearted bastards at the top."

"I've been working on this song for about 4 years now. Not lying when I say that this track is so fucking important to me. I wanted to get it just right. I worked away and worked away at it for fucking ages. When it was done, I fucking loved the lyrics and thought I'd nailed what I wanted to say but there was still something missing. It clicked that it needed more voices. It had to become this anthem, this call. Immediately, I knew I wanted Kara on the song. Been a huge fan for years and this was the perfect opportunity to work with her. She has such conviction in her voice and I'm always in awe of how effortless yet raw she makes everything feel. A total pro and fucking talent. She cut her verses and then I decided I wanted to go even bigger, so I reached out to Kidd Amaze. Wasn't sure I'd hear back because he's such a revered figure and he doesn't just work with anybody. I think it was within the same 24 hours of contacting him that I got his full verse back. I was fucking floored. Kidd Amaze? On MY song? Felt so fucking blessed. We didn't have to tweak a single thing. That one response he sent us was perfect and the final piece of the puzzle. Forever grateful to Kidd and Kara for making this very special song what it is today."

Kara:
Quote:
"Man, this song is truly incredible. I feel honoured that I was even thought of as someone that could lend their voice to such a powerful track and thank Billy for bringing me up for this. He’s an artist I have immense respect for in the industry and it’s in a track like this that truly shows the depth of his ability. He can turn on a motherfuckin’ dime with this ability to create something for every single possible mood and feeling and it’s when he steps away from the playful and confident Billy that I know too well and shows this side of him that I love and respect so much as a friend and as an artist. I’ve dabbled in socially conscious music and I know how much of a fine line it is to tread, but this is not just incredibly written and performed but it’s done with such a truthfulness and frustration that you feel in every paused breath and every delivered line.

It's complete rawness and honesty in song and I can’t think of a better pairing on a track than both Billy and Kidd, they’re two artists that are completely at the top of their game right now and it still fucks with my ego that I was even allowed anywhere near a track with such heavyweights of this industry. I think a track like this shows that whatever you think of Billy, you cannot help but listen to him. He’s a voice that speaks truth to power and the injustices in the world and his own story is one of perseverance and unwavering belief in self. I can’t say enough about this entire process, hearing Kidd on the track was the cherry on top for me and hearing how effortless it was for him to deliver magic does not surprise me at all, having been within his presence for most of my own career at Just Record. Put him alongside Billy who literally does not do anything half-hearted and it’s instantly iconic. I was just glad to lend my voice and have a small part in this masterpiece."

Kidd:
Quote:
"This was a moment, I remember this was right as I was working on my album Sides and I was really some type of way in the world. All of a sudden I got a message from Billy. I know about Billy but we have never been like in the same room and got a chance to connect but I'm a music guy so I know about his behavior and he work ethic. Super talented, so I'm interested to see what it is and I'll never forget it was like a calm respectful tone to hit me up. His personality is tone down and I looking at it cause I thought he would be like 'Yo, I got this song I want you to be on so hop to it.' I was taken back because like pop music and pop radio, you reaching the masses. Like they have a following and a crowd and I'm good in rap music but I rarely cross over to that genre. So from one of the biggest pop stars come to you and actually like asking for a favor, like you the top of the shit. That as a 'man I really made a name for myself. ' I try to always do my best and listening to it, I really just took what I was feeling at that time and put it on the track and sent it to him. He sounded shocked that I even responded, let alone did something for the track but I had to. I think the message is important and I think that there is a lot of accountability that needs to take place. "

Critical Reception

"Model Citizen" received universal acclaim upon release, with many reviewers and listeners lauding both the lyrical content as well as the chemistry between all three artists on the song. In a review for NME, Maddie Chisolm described the song as "a powerful and gut-wrenching protest song that raises the hairs on the back of your neck whilst simultaneously making your eyes well up" and stated that it "doesn't outstay its welcome as Khan and Romero deliver gorgeous yet understated vocal performances, letting the lyrics be the driving force before Amaze rains down on us with pure fire for a brief spell." Chisolm rounded off her review by calling the track "perfect, concise and hits where it needs to", positively comparing it against other political songs which often come across as self-fulfilling. Pitchfork listed "Model Citizen" in their "Best New Music" segment. Writing for the publication, Dale Jackman dubbed the song "one for the history books" and "one of the most poignant and important musical releases of recent years".

Pearl Anderson of Clash stated that, "Billy, Kidd and Kara would seem like an obvious cause for collaboration given their admiration for each other and similar circles they move in. Khan recently claimed that everything he does is "for the culture", and that is where his genius and the beauty of this soaring epic lay." She continues; "On paper and to the labels wanting a hit, a Khan/Romero/Amaze crossover could be the most generic made-for-radio cash grab and still sell like hotcakes. However, the significance of both the song's message and three industry heavyweights, all from minority groupings coming together to create such a poignant piece is what takes the song from being a hit to the upper echelon of a being a cultural reset."

"MODEL CITIZEN"

Billy
Kara
Kidd

A moment of silence for all our deceased
Prayer circle right in the belly of the beast
Officers don't want to practice what they preach
Where's the fuckin' law and order in these streets?
Youths just dropping dead in the inner city
Stanley in their pocket in case man's acting iffy
More blood in an alleyway, shit's getting crazy
Another statistic, a point raised for the committee

16 year olds out here lacking guidance
Speak up and the powers go for silence
Trying to get by on a complex, secret code
It's a slippery rock, it's a fraying rope
No room for mistakes, it's so unforgiving
All out here just dying for a living

Thank the Lord it's them and not you
They were never real, another name on the news
We all end up bleeding red, white and blue
It's not perfect but it's what we have to do
Switch the station, nothing can be done
No questions raised, not like it was your son
Don't want to face the barrel of a smoking gun?
Just walk on by like a model citizen

Cross your heart and hope to die
For the piece of fabric flailing in the sky
And if you should go before you wake
Pray to the State, your shit to take

Wake up to find fresh shells on the ground
Politicians don't hear the shots in their town
Haven't been listening much for a while now
Made of bricks, can't blow their house down
Knew a girl around here who fell upon some bad times
Had it rough but still threw up the peace signs
Now I can't walk that road until her blood dries
Can't change a thing so we just watch the doves fly

Joyriding around the block without a license
Probably searching for a new shelter to hide in
It's a war out there, it's a fucking joke
No right direction, just mirrors and smoke
The same concrete jungle, so unfulfilling
All out here just dying for a living

Question, do you know when the last slave was freed?
When was the first time people thought about equality?
Forget the red tape let's redline through the communities
The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice and we need that consistency
Remember it's an US vs them tendency
And mentally keeping them on the wheel
That's what is good for productivity
This is a catch all the color I see green
I'm just blind to your issues when it comes to ethnicity
You know the saying no press is bad press and we need the publicity
To prey on your fears and create a vacuum of toxicity
Make you question the authenticity of professional
Remember the vaccine?
How does it work? Get the facts and douse it gasoline
And if a bitch talks back get the Vaseline
Her place is the kitchen or the bedroom no in between
She thinks she knows best for her body that's so obscene
Look at what happens now boys feeling like queens
Girls trying to be kings world crazy mad
It's safe here in your little box aren't you glad?

Can Be Compared To:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
C4AJoh on 09/03/2024(UTC), 2001clay on 09/03/2024(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 09/03/2024(UTC), erich hess on 09/03/2024(UTC), freestylechamp on 09/03/2024(UTC), Head South Records on 09/03/2024(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 11/03/2024(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/03/2024(UTC), Welat65 on 06/04/2024(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2024 09:05:09(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17917 time(s) in 10411 post(s)
Nina:i think this pretty well captures it. I lived down in Whitechapel
I assume it was the same. I was running around a few years after Billy. Because I'm a bit younger than he is,love.

Erica:* jerks her head up and starts coughing before falling dramatically to the floor.*

Nina: so,like I says. This pretty well captures it ,loves.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 09/03/2024(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2024 21:42:40(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Nina:i think this pretty well captures it. I lived down in Whitechapel
I assume it was the same. I was running around a few years after Billy. Because I'm a bit younger than he is,love.

Erica:* jerks her head up and starts coughing before falling dramatically to the floor.*

Nina: so,like I says. This pretty well captures it ,loves.

Billy: Nina is eternally 18. Though not sure how that works in Whitechapel years. Those streets gotta put an extra decade on you ;)
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 21/03/2024(UTC)
Offline C4AJoh  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2024 22:45:30(UTC)
C4AJoh

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 8536 time(s) in 2673 post(s)
Ashford: Billy, everything you do as an artist is absolutely unequivocally drenched in perfection. I know for certain that not one single element of anything you produce with your name attached will be half-assed. From the outside looking in, it seems absolutely unfeasible to find the time and energy that you somehow do to perfect everything. As an artist, you are singlehandedly the one artist with absolute integrity in his vision because I’m yet to see anything that you’ve produced under your own solo umbrella that could even be considered a slight mis-step. From top to bottom, it’s perfection in detail and this song is absolutely no different. It has your fingerprints all over it, but remains accessible to a mass audience, it’s powerful and full of intent which is absolutely the two main criteria’s when tackling a subject matter with as much social importance as this track tackles.

Having Kara Romero lend her voice to the track brings real soul to the song and compliments the anger and frustration that you showcase so well throughout and the coup de grâce is the addition of Kidd on the track which adds just another layer of true authenticity and weight to a track that was already perfect before the arrival, but just enhanced beyond with his presence. A remarkable, truly raw and honest song that certainly captures a period in time that is so fraught with anger and tension. A voice of a generation, you are Sir. Without any shadow of a doubt. Kudos, bravo, outstanding!
thanks 1 user thanked C4AJoh for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 11/03/2024(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2024 23:38:52(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: C4AJoh Go to Quoted Post
Ashford: Billy, everything you do as an artist is absolutely unequivocally drenched in perfection. I know for certain that not one single element of anything you produce with your name attached will be half-assed. From the outside looking in, it seems absolutely unfeasible to find the time and energy that you somehow do to perfect everything. As an artist, you are singlehandedly the one artist with absolute integrity in his vision because I’m yet to see anything that you’ve produced under your own solo umbrella that could even be considered a slight mis-step. From top to bottom, it’s perfection in detail and this song is absolutely no different. It has your fingerprints all over it, but remains accessible to a mass audience, it’s powerful and full of intent which is absolutely the two main criteria’s when tackling a subject matter with as much social importance as this track tackles.

Having Kara Romero lend her voice to the track brings real soul to the song and compliments the anger and frustration that you showcase so well throughout and the coup de grâce is the addition of Kidd on the track which adds just another layer of true authenticity and weight to a track that was already perfect before the arrival, but just enhanced beyond with his presence. A remarkable, truly raw and honest song that certainly captures a period in time that is so fraught with anger and tension. A voice of a generation, you are Sir. Without any shadow of a doubt. Kudos, bravo, outstanding!

Billy: Thank you so much for your kind words, Ashford. If there's an opinion in the industry that I hold high, it's yours. Not to sound cocky but no, nothing I do is half-assed and I thank you for seeing the work I put in. If it's attached to my name and forever part of my career, I want to be proud of it and be able to stand by it years down the line. It's also a big reason why I leave gaps between releases. Not only do I want each song to have its own moment but they mean a lot to me so I don't wish to fire them out like they're disposable.

Your kind feedback is always appreciated but more so than ever on this track. So many important things had to be addressed and it was an absolute minefield trying to navigate, piece together, refine and package. Didn't want it to come across as too preachy and like a typical celebrity vanity project. Nor did I want it to be too timid and afraid to make a true statement either. Very proud of how it turned out but as you've mentioned, Kara and Kidd did their thing and brought it to a new level. I can't take all the credit and praise...but I'll happily take the title of 'voice of a generation' ;) Thank you kindly, Ashford.
UserPostedImage