logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2009 07:54:36(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Let me preface this argument by saying I love going to concerts and seeing music performed live. Music is meant to be performed. However, I am somewhat unsure of how to treat live recordings. I don't actually own any live recordings that I can think of right now, even when collecting an artist's complete works I skip live recordings.

I have two conflicting views on live and studio recordings. The first is the idea that I firmly believe the studio recording is the definitive version of a song. The band takes has the time to meticulously rework, replay, and redo parts of the song until everything sounds exactly how they want it to. There are some effects that cannot be properly emulated live, extra guitar parts the band may not have the people to play, vocal overdubs and harmonies that cannot be perfectly reproduced, etc. They also get to chose which version ultimately ends up being released, while they may have some level of choice as far as choosing which live version of a track to use they are limited to different one-take versions of that track. To me the time and detail available in the studio produces the definitive version of a song.

My conflict is that I also see music as something that is organic and changing. Live performances show this perfectly, songs are changed, solos added, lengthened, covers are played and changed etc. Live recordings are the closest representation of this idea of music as living outside of going to an actual performance. Because of the way studios allow bands to perfect each song the organic side of the music can get lost. It becomes a science rather than an art. Mistakes are eliminated (for the most part) energy and emotion aren't as easily translated, etc.

So in conclusion, I really don't know how I feel about it. I can't decide which is more important.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Gildermershina  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2009 08:03:51(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Robert Fripp has said an album is a love letter, and a concert is a passionate date. I guess a live recording is somewhere in between.

Personally I do like some live recordings, but it really depends on the band. An example of a great live album is the soundtrack to the Talking Heads concert movie Stop Making Sense.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Instead of the Everyday  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2009 14:17:42(UTC)
Instead of the Everyday

It certainly depends on the band.

The merit of these bands aside --- I own a number of "live concert" records, one by the Dave Matthews Band, which is really quite good, and other from Blink 182, which makes me wonder why they would bother to regroup to try to play music again. And all makes and models inbetween. The worth is in the ear of the beholder. I do believe there is a quality live album out there for everyone.. even those who prefer studio albums.
Instead of the Everyday is:

Mike Hurley (Vocals / Guitar)
Kevin DelGaudio (Guitar)
Sam "I am" Winters (Bass)
Rob Palladio (Drums)
Anton Pierce (Keybords)

UserPostedImage

IotE is signed to M/M Records
Offline herrfische777  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2009 06:49:45(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I own a few live recordings. Some are shite and some are brilliant. My personal favourites that I own are Rock in Rio by Iron Maiden, closely followed by Black Sabbath's Reunion recordings. Both are excellent examples of live recordings (for metal acts anyway!!). The audience on both albums are clearly audible and even mistakes that the bands make are on the record. For example, during The Dream of Mirrors on Rock in Rio, the band seem to lose time and rhythym. It's only briefly and I'm no music expert but it's there for all to hear. The Reunion recordings are good because they haven't bothered to touch up Ozzy's vocals or mistakes!! I find the albums enjoyable to listen to. However, I would much rather be at a concert or festival to see live music.
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Featuring the following bunch of freaks:

Chris 'Herr Fische' Fisher: Vocals/Keyboards/Piano etc
Paul 'Foetus' Fisher: Multi Instrumentalist/Electric Wizard/Audio Abuse
Kii Kii Lii: Lead Guitar/Sitars/Background Vocals
Thomas 'TomTom' Thompson: Rythym Guitars/All other stringed instruments
Mr Unknown: Bass Guitar/ Double Bass/Background Vocals
Brenda Hatch: Drums/Drum Machines/Percussion

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2009 07:08:45(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

One of the tricks with live albums is that a majority of them are overdubbed in the studio (which they usually don't put in the sleeve notes), particularly vocals, or compiled from multiple performances. Another classic live album is Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere", which I understand is very heavily overdubbed, and obviously it's from different venues, different nights. Despite this, it's a great, live-sounding energetic recording, something that simply couldn't be captured in a studio.
Offline herrfische777  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2009 06:32:16(UTC)
herrfische777

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
One of the tricks with live albums is that a majority of them are overdubbed in the studio (which they usually don't put in the sleeve notes), particularly vocals, or compiled from multiple performances. Another classic live album is Zappa's "Roxy & Elsewhere", which I understand is very heavily overdubbed, and obviously it's from different venues, different nights. Despite this, it's a great, live-sounding energetic recording, something that simply couldn't be captured in a studio.

Do you know where I can purchase this album? I've been trying to find some Zappa lately but i'm having no joy. I haven't listened to much of his stuff but what I have heard is amazing and I want to listen to more!!!
UserPostedImage

HERR FISCHE

Featuring the following bunch of freaks:

Chris 'Herr Fische' Fisher: Vocals/Keyboards/Piano etc
Paul 'Foetus' Fisher: Multi Instrumentalist/Electric Wizard/Audio Abuse
Kii Kii Lii: Lead Guitar/Sitars/Background Vocals
Thomas 'TomTom' Thompson: Rythym Guitars/All other stringed instruments
Mr Unknown: Bass Guitar/ Double Bass/Background Vocals
Brenda Hatch: Drums/Drum Machines/Percussion

Band Status:

Building Bridges
Offline Gildermershina  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2009 11:29:23(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

In music stores, online (Amazon etc.). It's out there.
Offline tension101  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2009 04:13:10(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I own Slipknot's 9.0Live, Slipknot's Disasterpeices, and Coheed and Cambria's Live at the Starland Ballroom. Slipknot, who, mind you, are my favorite band and I have a very high opinion of them, give off so much energy live. You can sense the atmosphere, and anger they are portraying, especially during Disasterpeices, because you actually see it. I mean... just, come on, look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/v...;</param><param

Can you not sense the energy?

One problem with Slipknot live though, is that Corey screams so fast in the studio version, he can barely duplicate it, as also seen here. It honestly depends on hwat live video you're watching, and by what band.

Edited by user 25 May 2009 04:14:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline Gorloche  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2009 12:03:58(UTC)
Gorloche

I agree that it depends on the band although I must say that it is rare for me to be disappointed by live recordings of a band that I enjoy. Now, my degree of preference of live to studio work depends; a group like Yes I will almost always take live over studio. Yessongs is one of the greatest live albums I've heard. Zappa is another example; my favorite record of his may be Waka/Jawaka, but the live stuff is really where his work came alive. Alternatively, a group like Porcupine Tree or a performer like Peter Gabriel aren't better live, but still stand up solidly, making the products worthwhile.

A place I've found myself recently is favoring live DVDs. If the great part of a studio recording is, like a book, sort of having a one-on-one intimate intellectual encounter with the performer, then a live concert or recording should be the opposite, a melting away of the singular into the whole. And DVDs tend to communicate that a great deal better than most live albums do. That doesn't mean that live albums can't; again, Yessongs is a magnificent live album but is a terrible concert film (also, the CD mix is quite terrible, but most people don't have turntables or the scratch for a 3LP set, so...).

Not exactly sure where this post is going anymore, but i like the discussion.
Offline Chimp Records  
#10 Posted : 06 June 2009 10:38:38(UTC)
Chimp Records

Well studio recordings are always going to be the same. Live is rarely always the same. You can expect the unexpected during live so live is better.
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline Gildermershina  
#11 Posted : 06 June 2009 20:41:58(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Chimp Records wrote:
Well studio recordings are always going to be the same. Live is rarely always the same. You can expect the unexpected during live so live is better.

Yeah, but a live recording, that's always going to be the same too.
Offline Chimp Records  
#12 Posted : 07 June 2009 00:56:21(UTC)
Chimp Records

Gildermershina wrote:
Chimp Records wrote:

lol but a live recording is always more fun to listen to because of the thrill. First time hearing an album is the best. When it's studio, it's all bland and boring. When live, there are solos, fans screaming, the band playing the song perhaps differently in a better way maybe. But that's just me. I prefer live.

Edited by user 07 June 2009 00:58:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline forkboy  
#13 Posted : 07 June 2009 05:55:33(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Chimp Records wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
Chimp Records wrote:

lol but a live recording is always more fun to listen to because of the thrill. First time hearing an album is the best. When it's studio, it's all bland and boring. When live, there are solos, fans screaming, the band playing the song perhaps differently in a better way maybe. But that's just me. I prefer live.

See, I like live DVDs, when you can see the whole experience. But with live CDs, I only really like them if they were at a gig I was at. So I'm really looking forward to Onslaught's 'Live At Damnation 2008' recording. Heard a couple of tracks on their label website and it's shit hot. I'll take actual live, then studio album, then live DVD then live CD. Then shitty quality demos like Mayhem's Pure Fucking Armageddon demo.