logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2012 23:29:27(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I begrudginly added soccer into the title for any Americano's who like football too.

For me, transfers are one of the best bits about football these days. Some enthusiasts say they ruin the game, but I think it's part of it now and we should embrace it. They add a whole extra dimension to the way the games played and makes it more challenging for sides.

Anyway, the man purpose of this thread is for people to discuss transfers as the Summer window is opening relatively soon. Also tons of rumours going around at the moment........

http://menmedia.co.uk/ma...sir-alex-fergusons-radar
http://www.fifa.com/worl...news/newsid=1593274.html

Modric to United? What do you reckon? I can see it happening, especially as Modric's only getting older and yet again Spurs haven't qualified. Admittedly they should have, but they didn't, is he going to pass up another opportunity?
Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2012 23:44:08(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
We (Dunfermline Athletic) released no less than 11 players yesterday after our relegation from the SPL. Kinda glad really. We had an awful season and the squad was festering and full of ageing players who were doing little more than claiming a wage. It'll be good now to see what youngsters we bring in to replace them.
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2012 23:48:12(UTC)
Aj

Man

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
We (Dunfermline Athletic) released no less than 11 players yesterday after our relegation from the SPL. Kinda glad really. We had an awful season and the squad was festering and full of ageing players who were doing little more than claiming a wage. It'll be good now to see what youngsters we bring in to replace them.

Are Dunfermline generally a good side? Never heard of them before. Silenced
Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2012 23:51:30(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
We have mostly played top flight Scottish football for the majority of my life, but we spent the four years prior to this one in the Scottish First Division. We had our best years in recent times when we were top 4 in Scotland and qualifying for Europe, got to three cup finals, between sort of 2002 and 2006/7.
UserPostedImage
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2012 00:02:14(UTC)
Aj

Man

We have mostly played top flight Scottish football for the majority of my life, but we spent the four years prior to this one in the Scottish First Division. We had our best years in recent times when we were top 4 in Scotland and qualifying for Europe, got to three cup finals, between sort of 2002 and 2006/7.

I don't understand why Rangers and Celtic dominate so much? Is it just down to the other teams being poorer? Because it's not like it's a recent thing either is it from my knowledge it's always been that way. I get that their both from Glasgow but Scotland isn't that barren other than Glasgow is it?
Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2012 01:16:06(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post

I don't understand why Rangers and Celtic dominate so much? Is it just down to the other teams being poorer? Because it's not like it's a recent thing either is it from my knowledge it's always been that way. I get that their both from Glasgow but Scotland isn't that barren other than Glasgow is it?

It's not really just about Glasgow, it's all caught up in a particularly Scottish West Coast & Northern Irish problem. Religion. Aside from the fact that fans naturally gravitate to more successful teams, meaning they have more money to improve their side, Rangers are viewed as a protestant side & Celtic a catholic one, also an Irish one. Basically it's the entire 20th century history of the island of Ireland in a sporting setting. And so it gets passed down from generation to generation, without people really knowing what their believing in. Honestly, trying to explain it to folk who haven't experiened in either Ulster or Scotland is really hard.

The Old Firm have always been the biggest teams in Scottish football, but until the 1980s the other sides at least got a sniff in occasionally. But with TV revenue being a bigger deal for football clubs, Rangers & Celtic get a much, much bigger slice of the pie than everyone else, & then they get European revenues too. Where as when Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup in the 80s, or Dundee United got to the UEFA Cup final there was much lower prize money than there is for even making the Europa League group stages.

But mainly it's a legacy of bigotry & gloryhunting combined.
Offline forkboy  
#7 Posted : 24 May 2012 01:18:51(UTC)
forkboy

Did you finally get shot of Keddie and or Dowie? What a fucking nightmare defensive partnership they were at County, got us relegated to the Second Division, thinking they could cut in the First was madness. Keddie was fine next to Scott Boyd but I reckon I'd look good next to the Ginger Pele.

So far County haven't signed anyone new, just resigned players from our record beating undefeaten side which is important. The only loss is Michael Gardyne to Dundee United, great lad, wish him all the best. Absolutely no idea how he can be replaced to be brutally honest.

We need a left back, some sort of winger, & a guy to play in the hole, the Midge role. Probably another striker & a better keeper too if we want to stay up, depends how much Uncle Roy wants it.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2012 02:04:07(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Was thanked: 1511 time(s) in 943 post(s)
Safe to say ill be crying myself to sleep. All the papers and TalkSport are reporting that United are in talks with us to sign Leighton Baines. It will be a sad, sad day for us Evertonians when he walks out the door. A fee of around 15 million being talked about. Talk Sport also reporting we are trying to sign Aly Cissokho as a replacement for roughly 6 million. Don't know much about him, but a player starting for Lyon must be decent at least!

I suppose the other 9million will go towards re-signing Steven Pienaar (A MUST SIGN) and possibly fund another transfer target. Heard Landon Donovan wants to return to Everton, would welcome him back with open arms!
retired x
Offline Aj  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2012 04:31:33(UTC)
Aj

Man

Originally Posted by: Mckenzie- Go to Quoted Post
Safe to say ill be crying myself to sleep. All the papers and TalkSport are reporting that United are in talks with us to sign Leighton Baines. It will be a sad, sad day for us Evertonians when he walks out the door. A fee of around 15 million being talked about. Talk Sport also reporting we are trying to sign Aly Cissokho as a replacement for roughly 6 million. Don't know much about him, but a player starting for Lyon must be decent at least!

I suppose the other 9million will go towards re-signing Steven Pienaar (A MUST SIGN) and possibly fund another transfer target. Heard Landon Donovan wants to return to Everton, would welcome him back with open arms!

Only know the Aly Cissokho used to have a potential of something ridiculous like 91 on FIFA 11....

+ heard that about Donovan too he's a quality player, suprised none of the other Premier League teams have snapped him up far, far too good to be playing in the MLS in my opinion.
Offline Aj  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2012 02:23:04(UTC)
Aj

Man

http://www.telegraph.co....Eden-Hazard-signing.html

Just thought I'd remind everyone.

Hazard ------------> Chelsea
Offline Mckenzie-  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2012 02:59:12(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: Aj Go to Quoted Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9295242/Chelseas-rebuilding-grows-with-78m-Eden-Hazard-signing.html

Just thought I'd remind everyone.

Hazard ------------> Chelsea

It's strange. Still neither clubs, player or agents have confirmed this. The player wrote on twitter "i will be joining the european champions". There has been no word at all from any of the parties involved except this 1 tweet.. I'm not saying that the transfer isn't true, it may very well be. Look how social network has changed things.

Im also seeing good sources on twitter saying that they expect Kagawa to sign for United before the end of the week for around 15million. What a bargain! The guy is rapid, and will eat full-backs up in the Premier League.

So who is going to be the next ongoing transfer saga? I expect Jordan Rhodes to start a bidding war with Premier League teams. And Van Persie to cause a long dragged out transfer, unfortunately for Arsenal fans I can't see him being there next season.
retired x
Offline forkboy  
#12 Posted : 30 May 2012 04:24:20(UTC)
forkboy

Kagawa will be a terrific signing for whoever gets him. Eager to see him on MOTD.
Offline Taylr2  
#13 Posted : 30 May 2012 04:35:29(UTC)
Taylr2

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 312 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Apparently us at the Villa are after Jordan Rhodes, despite us not having a manager. Usually I'd say go for it, but Hudderfield want £8 mill for him, which is insane for a player who's never had a chance to prove himself in a top division.
Offline forkboy  
#14 Posted : 30 May 2012 04:37:32(UTC)
forkboy

Originally Posted by: Taylr2 Go to Quoted Post
Apparently us at the Villa are after Jordan Rhodes, despite us not having a manager. Usually I'd say go for it, but Hudderfield want £8 mill for him, which is insane for a player who's never had a chance to prove himself in a top division.

Hope Rhodes is able to do better than Villa tbh. No offence but your clubs a bit of a shambles under Randy Lerner.
Offline Taylr2  
#15 Posted : 30 May 2012 04:44:09(UTC)
Taylr2

Man
United Kingdom

I completely agree, the best team that want him are Everton, but they seemed to have pulled out because of the price though. We were never gonna do well with McLeish though, just hope the next manager has good capability. McLeish's defensive tactics just never suited us and honestly, we work better as an attacking team, especially with Agbonlahor's pace up on the wings or upfront. Back under Martin O'neil we were pushing for UCL but now we're fighting to remain in this league. It doesn't help that we're selling the best players we have. Losing Milner was the worst thing that happened to Villa in recent years because it caused MON to leave.
Offline Mckenzie-  
#16 Posted : 30 May 2012 04:54:53(UTC)
Mckenzie-

Man

Originally Posted by: Taylr2 Go to Quoted Post
I completely agree, the best team that want him are Everton, but they seemed to have pulled out because of the price though. We were never gonna do well with McLeish though, just hope the next manager has good capability. McLeish's defensive tactics just never suited us and honestly, we work better as an attacking team, especially with Agbonlahor's pace up on the wings or upfront. Back under Martin O'neil we were pushing for UCL but now we're fighting to remain in this league. It doesn't help that we're selling the best players we have. Losing Milner was the worst thing that happened to Villa in recent years because it caused MON to leave.

We don't have a chance of signing him with an 8m price tag. It's not that we don't have the money (which we probably don't anyway) but as you said, Moyes would never pay 8m on a League 1 player.. nobody would, it's ludicrous. Especially after Jermaine Beckford who flopped for us, however he was a free transfer and we managed to make a profit on him. Unless they reduce the price tag, I can't see it.

According to SSN, we (Everton) are sniffing around the top scorer in Holland Bas Dost. Everytime I see his name I think of Das Boot. Apparently West Ham are also looking for him along with a few German sides. From what I've seen/heard, I don't want him. Fair enough he bagged 30 in the Dutch league, but he is very slow and tall. We have Jelavic as a poacher, what we really need is some speed. Unless Moyes is confident that Cahill can go on for another season and that Barkley is ready to step up to the Premier League we will need another attacking midfielder. What a talent Barkley is however, lets hope he avoids the same fate as Rodwell (injury prone) and follows on from another one of our successful academy prospects, Rooney.

Yet again though, im expecting another frustrating summer transfer window for Everton. Linked with little names, free transfers etc. When we will make our first signing on deadline day, and it will either be a loan or free transfer. Tough times without investment.
retired x
Offline Taylr2  
#17 Posted : 30 May 2012 05:05:24(UTC)
Taylr2

Man
United Kingdom

We were apparently after Bas Dost aswell, doubt he'd wanna go to us though. We've made our first signing, signing an Australian international from AZ Alkmaar I think, called Brett Holman, who's been having a few good seasons and has been showing his worth in the Europa League aswell. Also we got him on a free which makes it sweeter. I'm excited to see more of the Villa youths, especially Gary Gardner, Samir Carruthers and Andy Weimman (Although he's proving himself already) in the future. Gardner's been incredible for the reserves and England U21's (when picked) and had we had a decent coach at Villa last season, he'd probably have been a regular since Stiliyan's illness. Carruthers looks like he's gonna be one of those cocky skillsters in the league, which I have no problem with. And Weimman has already become a hit at Villa Park, because he pretty much saved us from relegation. Also the news that Ireland, Given, Agbonlahor and Bent are likely to stay is promising, as they're the best we have now. Although we need new full backs, Hutton has been dire all season and Warnock's not been that much better.
Offline Aj  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2012 06:07:50(UTC)
Aj

Man

Never seen Jordan Rhodes play but pretty much what everyone's already said, 8 mil on a player from League 1 is insane. Then again isn't that just what the club wants? Not nessasarily going to get it.

Genuinely don't understand how Villa did badly last season. I always thought they have a pretty good team. I dare say losing Petrov was a part of it but still no excuse for HOW badly they did. I reckon they'll do aright next year though bring in a good manager and they'll be fine.

Also I'm beginning to think Van Persie won't leave. Just have a feeling about it. If Barca and Real are being put off by his wages, the only option is City, and while I can see City wanting him is Van Persie really that much of a dick to go to them? I dunno, Nasri yes, Toure yes, but Van Persie? He seems too loyal.

& Most exciting player for me in the Dutch league last year was John Guidetti. On loan from City, he's brilliant. He got one of the highest goal to game ratios in Dutch league ever, yet there doesn't seem to be a great deal of excitement over him??
Offline Aj  
#19 Posted : 06 June 2012 22:07:12(UTC)
Aj

Man

Shinji Kagawa to UTD is a done deal. Good bit of business I think. Don't know what formation Fergie is expecting to use him in though?

Also anyone know of any good football forums on the web?