logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline asdf  
#101 Posted : 20 January 2013 15:22:26(UTC)
asdf

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
CHAPTER NINE

Night had fallen. But still they crept on through the darkness. Derek was slowing down and Amborn was feeling sorry for him. He had offered to step down and continue walking but Derek had waved it off and declined. But when every step seemed to be causing him pain Amborn hopped down without asking for permission first.

“We can’t go on like this. You can’t go on like this. I can walk now.” Amborn put a hand to Derek’s shoulder as Derek himself had done before to Amborn. “I owe you so much…can you continue?”

Derek stretched his back and arms and let out a long sigh of relief. He nodded and they started walking again. Amborn wasn’t sure of what the time was but he knew that it was late. It had been dark for hours and the moon was at the top of the sky directly above their heads. Stars were few and far between as the night was cloudy and worse; Amborn could smell rain coming. He was hoping they would make quite a bit of distance before it began falling, for it would surely slow them down. Having to trudge through the mud and water is exactly what we don’t need right now! He thought begrudgingly.

“You can smell it too.” said Derek. “I know…we have to make it as far as we can before it starts.”

Amborn looked to the sky and was alarmed at how thick the sky really was. He could see the rolling thunderclouds in the distance and he could see exactly how quickly they were moving towards their location.

“We don’t have long, an hour maybe.” He said.

Derek only lowered his face and kept walking. If they were going to make it to Narsik in a matter of two days, they needed to cover at least forty miles per day. It wasn’t completely impossible but the rain would slow them down to a near crawl. The landscape already consisted of soft dirt and heavy grass and Amborn could only have nightmares of what it would all be like when it was wet and muddy.

When it finally did begin, it poured down like no other storm that Amborn had ever experienced. The sound of thunder shook him with every crack of lightning. Derek was looking grim but he said nothing. Amborn kept wishing he could find the perfect words to say but he had to keep his mouth shut in the end. His robes had become heavy and it was only serving to wear him out even faster than before. His feet were sinking into the ground with every step and his legs were caked with mud.

“We should rest.” Derek said at last. Amborn stopped walking immediately. But his better judgment told him otherwise.

“We can’t stay here for long. We have to keep going.” Amborn knew that his words were drenched in desperation. Derek knew it too.

“We won’t be any use to the world if we’re both dead somewhere between here and Narsik. We need to be able to stand when we get there.”

“But…” Amborn brushed his long hair out of his face and looked towards the night sky.

“We have to rest.” Said Derek flatly, and Amborn sat down.

Minutes passed by and they both grew rather anxious. They could have both sat there for hours in the rain. But they finally kicked themselves up from the ground and continued walking. Just before the sun rose again over a new day, Derek picked Amborn up and carried him for a while. The rain broke early in the morning but the mud would remain thick and deep. The second day passed in a haze of frustration and silence but they covered more ground than they could have hoped for.

On the third day the sun rose and Amborn found himself back on the ground with his own feet carrying himself. Derek was looking hopeful at last and said several times that they may indeed make it to Narsik after all. At mid-day they found themselves facing a large hill that took a lot of energy out of Amborn but just as he managed to step over the curve he could see it. There before him he could see the twisted and broken remains of what was most certainly a beautiful green tower of emerald in the center of a mighty city. It was smaller than Palamoore perhaps, but not necessarily any less magnificent.

“We made it!” He said with a smile plastered across his face.

“Not yet.”

It was quite some way yet, but the sight of it put a spring in Amborn’s steps and he found himself nearly jogging. Derek caught up with him and pulled him back.

“Don’t waste too much energy. We have plenty of time before Zaleth’s forces get here. They might not even make it by nightfall.

“But we have much to do.” said Amborn, nearly laughing.

He was being immature and a bit foolish but he was reveling in it all and didn’t care. The sight of the city had rejuvenated him in nearly every way. As they drew closer he grew only more entranced by the beauty of the fallen city. The emerald make-up of the bricks still shone brightly in the sun and the glow reminded Amborn of a dream he had once had. The tower at the center was still very tall despite having been collapsed to about half of its original size. The grassy fields that encircled the city were wet and fog was rising up from the ground. There were several broken guards towers but none of them appeared to be manned. As Derek and Amborn stepped up to the main gate they found themselves alone. There was no-one to open it and let them in, nobody to question them.

“Do you think they are hiding somewhere? Underground or in the buildings perhaps?” asked Amborn awkwardly.

“Maybe we’re too late…” said Derek and there was an awful resonance to his words.

“No…we’ll just have to find a way inside.”

Amborn began walking along the outer walls searching for some other way to enter the city. What he thought he’d find he didn’t exactly know; a ladder maybe, or just a weak spot in the brick and mortar. Finally he came upon a strange stone door.

“What do you suppose this is here for?” he asked Derek.

“I don’t know…it’s odd though. A door like this would make the cities defense weak. See if it will open.”

Amborn lowered his head and grabbed onto the glass knob. It turned and the door swung open slowly. The passage way through the walls was nearly seven feet thick but through it Amborn could see the desolate remains of Narsik. Homes had been destroyed and other buildings had large gaping holes in their foundations. Stepping through the door they were greeted by no-one. The city seemed to be completely empty. The stone roads were wet and moss was growing through the cracks.

“What is this madness?” He asked.

Derek turned around several times and sat down in the middle of the street.

“They…their all gone.”

Derek was shaken and his voice trembled as the words left his mouth. But Amborn wasn’t quite ready to accept such a terrible conclusion. There has to be someone here.

“I’m going to search the palace.” He said, and he left Derek sitting there alone.

There was a large stair case that led to a round courtyard that sat in front of two massive oak doors that had been painted red. The handles had been rusted over and Amborn had to squeeze hard to get the door’s latch to open. Inside there was a long blue rug that led forward towards a throne that was positioned in the center of a room filled with chairs and an empty court. To the left of the throne there was a door. At first Amborn was inclined to head through it, but he noticed a desk sitting on the other side of the room that drew his attention away from it. The desk was black with green emerald handles on the drawers.

Amborn knelt to investigate but found that every drawer was empty spare one. Inside the last drawer that he opened he found a piece of paper that had been folded several times. Careful not to rip it he unfolded it and read the writing that was sprawled across it.

"The Emerald Tower Has Fallen
The Ivory Gives No Relief
The Horn of Death is Calling
But Underground is My Belief"

Amborn laughed aloud and in his excitement pulled back from the desk, taking the drawer with him. As it fell out onto the floor there was a loud crash that echoed throughout the empty room. But in the noise there was a very distinct sound that Amborn would never have expected; the sound of stone scraping across stone. In the center of the court room there had opened a large hidden staircase. Amborn nearly tripped as he ran down to the door at the bottom of the steps. Within he found a long winding staircase that took him several minutes to scale before reaching the bottom.

The door was blood red and marked with a green emerald at the center of a sliding slot at eye level. Amborn knocked and the slide slowly opened. To his left and to his right he heard the sound of quivers being drawn tight.

“State your name and your business.” Said a voice.

“My name is Amborn. I am here to speak with the survivors of Narsik about an alliance with Palamoore and The White Oak Forest.” Amborn lowered his register and tried to sound as official as he could given his muddy robes and dirty hair.

“Palamoore has abandoned us. The Gargils are at war with Palamoore. I declare you to be a liar!” The slide shut violently and the voice was heard calling for someone to let loose the arrows.

“Wait! I can prove it!” called Amborn desperately. To his relief the slide opened once again.

“You have one minute.” The voice said firmly.

“I have with me a gargil named Derek who can attest to the alliance. He has been my guide and my ally through one of the most perilous missions I have ever taken part in.”

“How do we know that both of you aren’t liars?” He said. “Why should we believe that you aren’t servants of Zaleth?”

“Because I have no weapons and because I have not brought an army. That should be proof enough for anyone.”

The voice behind the door spat and groaned. He called for someone to bring him the shackles and opened the door. There were several large men standing there before him and Amborn was quickly taken by two of them and chained up. His hands and legs were bound and another rope was put around his neck.

“You will explain yourself before our leader. He will decide your fate.” Said the largest of the men before he turned to the other three, “You three will go topside and apprehend the gargil he speaks of, if in fact there is one up there. Bring him down to Brandon. I’m taking this one with Rat and Lizard.”

Amborn felt the man’s hands close around his shoulders and nearly fell when they shoved him forward. Down a large stone hallway that was dripping with water and then through another large guard door they went. There were several doors along their way but it was the large one at the end of it all that they went through. It opened into another large court room where there sat many men. Some of them looked old and beaten but others were confident and wore cold expressions. At the top of a stand sat a man with long brown hair and a light beard. He had a strong jaw line and his eyes were hard but something about his face gave Amborn the sense of a caring individual.

“Sorry to disturb you Sir…but this one was found at the opening door. He says he is here to discuss some sort of alliance with the survivors. Something about Palamoore and The White Oak Forest, he said.”

The one they called Brandon looked Amborn from head to foot and then gave them orders to unshackle him. His voice was as strong as his features, but still Amborn could hear a kindness in his tone.

“What is your name?” He asked.

“Amborn, sir.”

“Where are you from?” He asked.

“I come from Palamoore, sir.” Amborn lied, but his words sounded true.

“Why has Palamoore only now decided to send aid? Why would they wait so long to send us you? Surely there were others more worthy of giving us aid?”

“I come on behalf of Palamoore and The White Oak Forest. There is an alliance forming with the hopes of combating the forces of Zaleth and driving him out of Lamerith.” Amborn was shaking and could only hope that Brandon and the others wouldn’t notice.

“Why should I believe you?” He asked Amborn in a voice that said he would need a lot of proof to sway his opinion on the matter; a lot of proof that Amborn simply didn’t have.

“Your guardsmen will be bringing a gargil from above. He can attest to the alliance between the men of Palamoore and the gargils.”

“Really?” said Brandon. “We shall see.”

Brandon sat back down and waved his men away.

“Take this one to the cells. I wish to interview the gargil without this fellow getting in the way. We should be able to figure the truth easily that way, wouldn’t you say Amborn?”

“Yes, most probably.” said Amborn with a false smile on his face. Derek and he had never discussed what their story should be if they found themselves in some kind of trouble. If Derek told Brandon and the guards something different in any form from what Amborn had, they would be doomed.

The cell they threw him into was dark and the bars were thick and solid. Amborn struggled to find a dry place to sit and eventually gave up and sat down in the corner. His robes were already wet anyway. It was there he sat for nearly thirty minutes. He was just beginning to wonder if they had even been able to find Derek when the guards came to return him to Brandon. They said nothing and their faces were impossible to read. Please let this have gone well… Once again Amborn found he was hoping against all logic.

Derek was sitting beside Brandon next to the throne without any sort of bindings. He was calmly smiling as they brought Amborn across the floor and left him standing before their leader. Brandon smiled as well.

“You have lied to me, Amborn.” He said. “Normally, I would punish such a thing with death.”

Amborn felt his stomach lurch but he couldn’t help but be relieved by the smiles on the two men’s faces.

“However, Derek has set things right.” Brandon said at last. “I welcome you to my council. You will join us for supper tonight and afterwards we can speak on the plans and situations of Lamerith.”

Amborn was confused.

“I don’t understand. What have I missed?” He asked.

Brandon took his chain mailed left arm and threw it over Derek’s shoulder.

“I have known Derek since we were both boys. My father took me with him on a trip to The White Oak Forest. We were friends. He explained the situation in the fullest of details. By his words, you are quite the formidable man Amborn. Someone like you is always welcome in Narsik.”

Amborn’s eyes flickered back and forth between Derek and Brandon as they began to chuckle and soon Amborn smiled as well.

“Well then…” he began, “That is a relief.”

They all laughed for a while before Derek and Amborn were shown to their room. The guards were still stiff and obviously had some resentment for outsiders but the rooms they were led too were actually quite nice and much larger than Amborn expected. After the inn in Ailforth, anything was a welcoming sight. Before he left them the guard showed them to a large wardrobe cabinet in the back of a room and gave Amborn a set of clean robes. They weren’t quite the right size, but they were dry.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you knew the leaders in Narsik?” asked Amborn as soon as the guard had closed the door behind himself.

“Because I didn’t know I knew the leaders. Brandon’s father was not the King. His family has been soldiers but never leaders. After the King died last year and the kelts attacked Narsik, Brandon led the survivors underground. He’s been sort of elected into his power.”

“The King had no heirs?” asked Amborn.

“Apparently not, and if he did they are dead. Brandon wouldn’t take power he didn’t deserve.”

“But you didn’t ask about the King’s heirs?”

“I thought it would have been disrespectful. We can ask tonight during supper.” Derek sat down and sighed. “I’m just glad we made it here in time.”

Amborn nodded and turned to face the outer wall of their room. It had been painted to don a mural of a map of Lamerith. There were more villages than Amborn had noticed on the map he had received from Derek. Some of the cities had different names.

“It must have been painted long ago.” said Derek suddenly.

“I was just going to ask about it.” laughed Amborn.

It was really quite beautiful and Amborn couldn’t peel his eyes away from it for some time. Derek on the other hand was unpacking a few of their things and threw their bag to the ground.

“When we leave this place, we will be taking much less with us.” He said with a grin.

“I’m sorry Derek. I should never have asked you to carry that with all of those books in it.” Amborn had nearly forgotten about them.

“It’s alright. But if we could leave them here…”

“Of course.”

Derek nodded and continued working.

By the time that there were alerted that supper was nearly ready to be served, Amborn had worked up a strong hunger. He hadn’t done much other than rest, but it had fueled his desire to eat more than he might have expected. It didn’t help that they hadn’t eaten in more than a day, or that Derek had been talking about food non-stop for the last several hours.

They passed several guards and Amborn noted that they all had the same distasteful expression on their faces when they noticed him and Derek walking through the halls. But the smell of dinner had washed that all out of his mind when they turned the final corner into the King’s dining room. There was only one table but it was overflowing with food. There were chickens and various vegetables that Amborn didn’t recognize and some that he did. Potatoes, salads, and beans, and it all made Amborn’s mouth water.

“My guests have arrived.” spoke Brandon from the end of the table. He was sitting in a chair that looked as if it had been built around the same time Narsik had been. But with its age came a certain beauty and it was very well crafted. Fit for a King, really, thought Amborn.

“It’s a good thing we are hungry.” said Derek with a laugh. “You’ve enough food here to serve an army.”

“Come the break of dawn and you may very well be in my army. I’ve told the men to prepare for battle. We will be heading topside as soon as we’ve finished eating.”

Amborn didn’t hesitate. He sat down and immediately reached for a fork and began feasting. It was all cooked to perfection and every bite was more than Amborn could have hoped for.

“I’m shocked at how well you and your people can live underground like this.” He said at last.

“Well…” began Brandon. “It has not been easy I’ll tell you. We’ve had our fair share of troubles. But we refuse to have the simple things in life stripped from us. I imagine the people of the Lamerith must believe Narsik to be a fallen ruin with no survivors these days. But we are here, and we are surviving.”

“Have you ever returned to ground level to defend yourselves before?” Amborn asked hesitantly.

“No. But if what you say is true, and the people of Lamerith are gathering to march on Zaleth together…then we must prove that we can hold our own city with strength and determination. We will not be made out to be fools.” Brandon looked down at his hands and back up from the table. “My city is alive. They will not fail.”

Amborn took strong note of the way Brandon spoke. Every word was drenched in his drive to see Narsik rise again. He spoke like a hero and Amborn could very easily see how so many people could have rallied behind him and made him their leader. He had a strong tone and a tight control of his language.

“It will be dangerous.” Said Derek.

“You think I do not know the danger that several kelts could pose? You forget yourself and you forget me.”

“I’ve never faced one.” Amborn interrupted. “Anything you would have me know before I find myself in battle?”

Brandon looked at Amborn from head to toe and nodded his head.

“They are fierce creatures. They have no reservations and they are thoughtless. Mindless beings that want nothing more than to destroy everything in their path. You will have to stop at nothing to kill them, because they will not show you mercy.”

Brandon closed his eyes and continued nodding his head. Finally he resumed eating.

The rest of the dinner was mostly silent. Amborn finished when he could barely stand to continue chewing. His stomach hurt but he felt energized and renewed. Derek seemed to be feeling the same way as he was pacing the room and gazing at the various works of art on the wall. Brandon finally stood as well and began describing each one to them. Amborn was feeling at ease, until the door crashed open.

“My King we have sighted them! They will be here within the hour.”

The three of them all turned their eyes towards Brandon who pulled his sword from his side and held it out.

“Thus it begins.”
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline asdf  
#102 Posted : 20 January 2013 15:22:49(UTC)
asdf

Man

CHAPTER TEN

There were people everywhere and the sounds of armor being belted on and swords clanging could be heard down every hallway. Brandon was standing at the base of the entrance steps and giving orders. Derek and Amborn were at his left side while two of his best soldiers were on his right. Brandon had been suited and looked like a man made of steel. Amborn couldn’t help but be in awe as he watched the commander give his orders. Derek had also been given some specially made armor to wear into battle. They had offered to give Amborn a suit but he had declined. He would be walking into the battle with only his robes and the staff that he had carried into Narsik.

“Come on men! We have not the time for mistakes and hesitation!” Brandon was calling as he waved them to line up in front of him. “Let us go.”

He gave a quick glance to either side and began ascending the steps. The two soldiers followed first, followed by Derek and Amborn, and then the massive group of men lined up and followed them all.

Narsik was quiet. Topside, the city was as still as it had been before. Brandon led his men out through the courtyard and into the city streets where he began dividing them into groups of infantry. Finally they all stood in attention as he took his place at the top of the stone steps that led to the court.

“Too long we have allowed the defiler Zaleth to hold us in thrall. Too long we have stood by and allowed our city to fall. We have hidden underground in fear; but no longer!” He turned to Amborn and spoke in a whisper. “Where would you like to be placed?”

“The vanguard,” Amborn hadn’t given it a moment’s thought. He knew he would be needed at the front.

“Very well then, you will be going with my brother Peter.”

Amborn was shocked that he hadn’t noticed the strong resemblance that Brandon and the soldier called Peter had shared. There were noted differences of course, but their relation was fairly obvious now that it had been revealed to him. Peter had Brandon’s brown hair and strong jaw line, but was obviously much younger than his brother. Peter was also taller than Brandon but more lanky than muscular. He gave Amborn a nod and held out his hand.

“By the time we’re done with them there will be nothing left for the others.” He said with a grin.

“Don’t be so over-confident.” Brandon spat. “We’ll be facing death today.”

Peter’s expression sank and he hung his head.

“Men of Narsik!” called Brandon out to the crowd of soldiers. “You know what comes our way. You have faced these creatures of destruction before and you know the price we have all paid. Do not fear for they have already taken everything we have to lose besides life itself. If we can’t risk losing that to regain our honor and our independence, then what are we? Cowards?”

A resounding “No!” rang through the city.

“Then let us fight until the last breath is pulled from our lungs!”

The sectioned groups of men all began marching in various directions to whatever posts had been assigned to them. Peter too Amborn’s shoulder and began walking down the steps towards his battalion.

“Men, form up!” It was on at this moment that Amborn noticed that Peter had a much gentler voice and was more soft-spoken than Brandon. Whereas Brandon was a strong leader who could command easily, Peter sounded as if he genuinely cared for every man he was leading.

“We will be standing outside the main gates. When the kelts are in seeing distance, we will begin our mach towards them. We will march alone. The rest of the corps will stay behind to guard the city. Our task is to slow them down and do as much damage as possible. May we all return home.”

Peter’s eyes strayed towards the gates and his mouth pursed slightly as he finished speaking but he quickly straitened his back and held his head high. “Amborn, Derek, walk beside me would you?”

The gates opened slowly and the view of the world outside of Narsik gave Amborn a shiver. It was dark and the air was cold. The leaves of the trees were blowing in the wind and the sound of it echoed in Amborn’s ears. But nothing sent a rush of fear through him more than the sound of the rusty gates being barred shut behind them. There were roughly two-hundred men with him, but Amborn felt as if he were alone in the dark until Peter began talking again.

“I’m sorry I hadn’t introduced myself to you before. I…” His voice trailed off. “I’m a bit cautious. I wanted to be sure that Brandon trusted you before I did so myself. You understand?”

“Of course.” said Amborn quickly. “I should have noticed the relation. You and your brother share a great deal of your looks.”

“I’m not sure I ever noticed. Brandon’s always been the leader though. I’m afraid I’ve been drug into this a bit unwillingly. He claims I have skill in battle, but I often wonder if he’s just sending me out here in hopes that I’ll be killed.”

“Do you not get along with him?” Derek asked.

“We never have. Father always thought Brandon would be some kind of hero someday…I admit I was resentful. It led to problems between us as boys. It only got worse after Mother died but enough of all that though; we need to talk strategy for a moment.”

Peter obviously was finished speaking on the subject so Amborn nodded in agreement.

“The scouts have reported that two kelts are coming our way as opposed to the three that had been reported previously. One is made of wood and the other of stone. We’ve faced these before. Wood can be burnt and hacked at, easy to bring down. But the stone one…he will be tricky.”

Peter held out his hand and held up a steel bar the size of a quill.

“We have found that shoving these steel bars between their heads and shoulders will bring them down. But it’s not easy getting that close to them…we have given every man a steel bar. Here are yours.”

Derek and Amborn accepted their bars and pocketed them carefully.

“If we’re fortunate…around thirty of these men will return home safely. I know I shouldn’t speak of it like that but…”

Peter suddenly stopped talking and his eyes widened. Amborn jerked his head towards the south and saw the rustling of trees had grown to much more than just wind. Some were being ripped from the ground and thrown to the side. Just above the tree-line Amborn could see something that resembled a face. But it was empty and expressionless. Like I half finished sculpture.

“This is it! Forward!” Peter called out and began walking slowly building to a jog.

Suddenly the creatures in the trees burst out into the field and Amborn nearly stopped dead in his tracks. Nearly thirty feet tall and more horrible than he could have envisioned the kelts were rushing towards the walls of Narsik. The wooded Kelt took first notice of the band of men that was barreling towards it and turned to face them. Several men burst out around the sides of Amborn and began hacking at the creature’s feet but in the midst of it all several were thrown and pushed away. Blood was staining the grass and Amborn felt something wet splash his face. Turning to seek its origin he realized that several men had just been complete obliterated underneath one of the kelts giant feet.

“Loose the fire!” screamed Peter in the distance.

Narrowly missing his head several arrows flashed by Amborn and into the Kelt. Where they penetrated his side burst into a flame that soon engulfed him. The sound was horrific. Amborn could hear the creature screaming in agony but it sounded more like a great tree being dropped in a forest. Finally it succumbed and fell to the ground.

“Form up! We must attack the stone kelt!” Peter was holding his sword in front of him and rushing back towards Narsik where the stone Kelt was smashing his fists into the walls as arrows were loosed on him from several newly manned guard towers.

Amborn took a quick glance around and noticed that more men had been killed or injured than he had expected. Around a fourth of the men that had begun the march were now rushing back with him. Amborn almost became worried that Derek was missing until he found him tailing at the back of the group.

When the stone Kelt noticed that the men had brought down his opposite he became enraged and turned his frustration towards them. He abandoned his effort to get into the city and began grabbing men from the ground and tossing them across the fields. Some of the soldiers were wasting their swords on him while others were trying to lasso a rope around his arms and head.

“Amborn, help me!” called Peter and Amborn hurried to his side. “Take this rope and help me bind his feet. Perhaps we can drop him together.”

Peter took one end of the rope and gave Amborn the other. In a haze of confusion they both rushed through the crowd of men and bodies and began a sort of continually running circle around the feet of the Kelt while others held his attention. When the rope was tight the Kelt began stumbling and his balance was thrown off. Peter gave a hand signal for Amborn to run back towards the city and he obeyed. When all of the slack was pulled out the Kelt finally stumbled and fell to the ground. Within seconds he was being covered in men in an effort to hold him down and tie him up.

“Let me through!” Peter was yelling. “Make way!”

He marched through and took his steel bar from his belt. With a flash of rage on his face he dug it deep down into the shoulder blades of the creature and it finally stopped thrashing around. It was done.

There were so many bodies lying across the field. So many had died in such a short time that Amborn thought he was going to be sick.

“We have done it! The city is safe!” Peter held his sword up and yelled. “Narsik is safe!”

But just as he said it there was the deafening sound of thunder. The rushing noise of a waterfall could be heard making its way through the trees. When it emerged nearly everyone fell to their knees. Amborn finally hurled and hung his head.

“Oh my god,” Was the only thing he could hear Peter say.

The screams were coming from every direction. The beast was consuming the men and drowning them. Those that weren’t drowned were tossed and washed away. Amborn lost sight of everything in the chaos. He couldn’t see Derek or Peter no matter where he looked and the creature seemed to be everywhere. The water that served as the kelts legs were like a tidal wave and no-one was safe. Voices of hopeless soldiers were crying out for aid but the gates of Narsik remained tightly shut.

“Where is Brandon?” cried a voice.

“We’re all going to die!” roared another.

Amborn could stand it no longer. The water was crashing over the walls and taking what was left of the guard towers down along the way. Amborn was barely thinking. He had felt this way before. He could feel nearly nothing of the pain he had been experiencing before and his stomach was like that of iron. He held out his staff and approached the Kelt. It turned to acknowledge him but quickly turned back to the city. Amborn continued walking until he reached the edge of the water. Without pausing to flinch he stepped into the creature and held up his staff. The beast roared and water began spewing in every direction. But the cold air was changing as well. It we becoming hot and the water was turning to steam and evaporating away.

Amborn could feel his chest clinch tightly around his lungs and heart. Every inch of his body was burning and he found himself unconsciously screaming in pain. His robes erupted into flames and he fell to the ground. In an instant he was away from Lamerith and the horrible field of death and destruction. Ortanu was seated before him at a long stone table.

“I told you there were limitations.” He said.

“What happened?” Amborn cried out.

“There are limitations.” He said as his face imploded into blood and shattered bones like that of splinters.

When Amborn awoke again everything was quiet. Derek and a medicine man were beside him.

“Where am I?” He said in a hoarse whisper. Clearing his throat he continued, “What happened?”

Derek looked at him with wide eyes and spoke in a tone of astonishment.

“You destroyed it…we thought you were dead. You were burnt and…well…you’re fine now…”

Amborn sat up and looked at his own hands. They were clean and pale with no sign of injury.

“Where is Brandon?” he asked, and before anyone could answer he was standing and heading out the door towards the courtyard.

The city was buzzing and upon his appearance they all gave a raucous cheer of applause and saluted him. Amborn had his eyes focused on only one person however; the man standing at the top of the courtyard steps looking like the champion of the world. Brandon graciously smiled and held out a hand to greet Amborn but he found his hand shoved away.

“Where were you and the army?” Amborn shouted, angrier than he had ever been.

“We were at are battlements…preparing to defend the city should Peter and you have failed. Luckily you did not.”

“You would have let them all die!” Amborn screamed and several guards stepped forward with their hands firmly grasping their swords.

“I could see that you had it all under control.” Brandon was still smiling and he waved for his men to stand down.

“What about Peter? Where is he?”

Brandon’s grin was washed from his face. “Ah…my brother is as of yet missing in battle. We have not found him.”

Amborn was breathing hard in his frustration and could barely restrain himself from wrapping his fingers around Brandon’s mighty neck.

“You will answer for this.” He said and he quickly turned and headed back down the steps where Derek was waiting for him with a nervous expression.

“What are you doing? You could have gotten yourself killed!” He hissed.

“I almost was. Many men did get killed! Peter is missing…and…worse things that I don’t quite understand have taken place as well.” Amborn collapsed onto a nearby chair and held his head.

“What is it that’s happened?” Derek asked desperately.

Amborn shook his head and brushed his hair out of his face.

“The world is in more danger than you could ever imagine.” He said.

The sounds of celebration were echoing through every hall and room. The monotony of it was driving Amborn insane. No word had come on where Peter could have vanished too and Brandon seemed almost entirely unbothered. Whenever Amborn passed someone yelling “Praise Brandon!” or the like, Amborn would stop them and remind them that it was Peter who had led his men to death and victory. But it was all to no avail. The image of Ortanu was haunting Amborn and the city seemed completely care-free now that the immediate threat had been vanquished.

Derek was still trying to question Amborn on what he had meant earlier but Amborn simply wasn’t prepared to share that sort of information. He knew that he could trust Derek with it, but he was under direct orders from Ortanu to keep his existence a secret. But if Ortanu has been…killed? Is that even possible? Every thought only took a moment to ramble in Amborn’s mind before flying away and allowing another to make itself at home. Finally, Brandon called Amborn to return to the court building to attend a meeting and discuss future strategy.

The room was nearly empty. Besides Brandon there were but three other men joining them. The first was tall and much older than everyone else. His hair was gray and short and he stood with a slight inclination to his right side as if his leg was causing him pain. The second man had red shaggy hair similar to Amborn’s own, but he was short and round. The third man was black headed and had a squashed sort of face that caused his eyes to wander in opposite directions. Still, he held himself as if he were important in some way. Amborn restrained himself from laughter and shook everyone’s hand.

“This is Amborn, everyone.” said Brandon with a smile. “This is Alan Redwyn, my uncle. The short fellow is Herin Leafly; before Narsik fell he was captain of the city guard.” Herin and Alan both smiled gently before Brandon continued. “The man to your right is Tesley. He’s a good strategist and led many excursions from down below when I sent men up here to search for food and check for danger.”

Amborn shook his hand and nodded in greeting. “Nice to meet you all,” He said. “Is Redwyn your family name as well Brandon?”

Brandon smiled and shook his head. “Yes it is. Alan was my father’s older brother. They are quite alike…too much sometimes.”

Alan laughed. “It is good to meet you at last Amborn. I’ve heard of what you did out there. You protected our city when it was needed most. I look forward to working with you.”

“Amborn…” said Brandon nervously. “I’ve asked you here to discuss what it is you plan to do. You’ve told me of your plans to unite Lamerith against Zaleth of course…but have you any notion of what that means? Do you have any plans?”

“Well…I’ve been thinking it over for quite some time now. I’m not entirely certain on how to convince everyone to come together and put aside their hatred and old angers…but I know that Narsik will be our most important base.”

Amborn could see the wheels turning behind everyone’s eyes and he could feel his own wheels turning as well.

“I would have the armies of Palamoore and the White Oak Forrest march to Narsik to join your forces before marching on Zaleth.”

There was an audible gasp from every mouth in the room. Amborn was sure of his plans though. There was simply no other way.

“You would have everyone meet here and expect it to go over well?” said Tesley in a low voice that was thick with phlegm.

“Why make the first move?” said Herin loudly.

Brandon on the other hand was biting his lip and grinning.

“Amborn is right. If we are to put an end to this devilry…we must take up arms. The fight would be useless without Palamoore and the gargils on our side…they must be brought here to prepare. But Amborn, you would have to convince them to come. I can spare no-one to go with you…it grieves me to have to send you away.”

“I understand. All I need from you is your agreement and for Narsik to be waiting for us.” Amborn lowered his eyebrows and frowned. “You must defend the city.”

“Of course; no longer can the people of Narsik sit idly by and let our city be destroyed. You have given us hope; the common folk will not forget that. The soldiers will be strengthened with it.”

Brandon was speaking loudly now and his mood had lifted considerably.

“Then I will go.” said Amborn. “I can leave by the morning if that is alright.”

Alan and Herin were glancing around and pursing their lips. But Brandon shushed them when they began to speak.

“You may go.” said Brandon at last.

“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone…I may not return at all.” Amborn took a deep breath and turned to look them all in the eye. “But I will try.”

They all understood and agreed accordingly. Brandon led them all out into the city where the sun was going down. With the night sky above him Amborn felt very small. Lamerith was a nation divided and somehow he had found himself in the middle of it all.

“I’m sorry you have been put in this position.” said Brandon. “I don’t know where you came from, but I assume that it wasn’t anywhere near here. Now the entire country depends on you. It’s astounding really.”

“It’s alright. In times of darkness…we all do what we must in order to bring back the light.” Amborn smiled but Brandon just laughed.

“Nobody says those things and means them Amborn. Not anymore. But I hope you are right. We will need a lot of people to do what must be done if we are to bring light to this place again.”

With those words Brandon retired to his chambers. Amborn soon found himself in his own room preparing for bed. So much had happened in a period of a few days…what would the morning and a new journey bring?

Offline asdf  
#103 Posted : 20 January 2013 15:23:21(UTC)
asdf

Man

CHAPTER ELEVEN

“My uncle informs me that I am making a disastrous mistake.”

The morning had been strange and unusual. Brandon had woken them up himself and led them to the gates. He hadn’t spoken and his posture was upright and tense. Amborn found he was the opposite. Whereas Brandon was standing tall and striding through the city, Amborn was slumping and barely awake. He hadn’t slept well and he was still feeling a bit out of sorts. Derek was keeping to himself and it all added up to make Amborn very uncomfortable.

“I hope that your uncle is wrong.” Amborn replied.

“Yes, well…” Brandon gave a wave to the men to signal for them to open the gates. “I made my decision. I trust you Amborn.”

They bowed courteously to each other and Amborn found himself leaving the city of Narsik behind him. Derek and he had spent a bit of time planning their course before retiring to bed but the farthest they had gotten was a strong decision that they wouldn’t be taking the route through the Black Forest again. Instead they would be heading south of the Black Lake and across the Bluecular River. In order to do so, they would be passing through the Bluecular Forest. Derek had remained rather quiet on how much safer it would be, but Amborn figured anything was better than facing an army of deranged sorcerers.

“Amborn?” said Derek.

“Yes?”

“I have to ask…did we accomplish what you had hoped we would in coming to Narsik? After everything, was it really worth it?”

Amborn lifted his head and eyed Derek with a look of bewilderment.

“Of course it was. We protected the city from what may have been its utter downfall…and we succeeded and making sure that the army of Narsik would be waiting for us when it’s time for war.”

Derek rattled his head but he looked uncertain.

“We’ve got a long way to go…backtracking really.” He said at last.

“Perhaps, but we now have Brandon’s approval. We can supply this information to the King of Palamoore and it may convince him to join us in the fight. This was right Derek.” Amborn finished matter-of-factly and Derek smiled and let out a sigh.

“You’re right of course. I was just being foolish.” His eyes wandered to the trees ahead of them. “I should tell you about the forest Amborn.”

Amborn’s heart skipped a beat.

“Again?” he asked.

“Well…it’s not the same really. I’m not even sure if it’s even true…just rumors and old stories.”

“Let’s hear it then.”

Derek laughed lightly and continued.

“You remember when I told that my people believed that the spirit of the chemist…Bluecular…they believe that he still resides here.” Derek looked gravely at the tree they were passing.

“I remember you telling me. You said that some people have told stories of travelers getting hanged by vines and branches. But surely it’s just stories.”

“I used to think so. I always believed that the tales only served to fuel an idiotic religion that my people were holding on to. But now I have to wonder.” Derek stopped and turned to Amborn. “I’ve seen things I never would have believed possible. I think now that such stories may indeed be possible.”

“Well…” Amborn began but their attentions were drawn away by the sound of rustling bushes a few feet away.

“Do you hear that?” Derek asked in a whisper.

Amborn raised a finger to his lip and carefully began making his way to the bushes. Pausing to take a deep breath, he plunged his hands into them and pulled out the eavesdropper; throwing him to the ground. Amborn felt the air leave his lungs as he looked down at the face staring back up at him in fear.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I just…I wanted to help.” stammered James as he climbed his way back to his feet.

Amborn laughed but Derek sat down and rolled his eyes. James was glancing at both of them sheepishly.

“I guess we’ve picked up a straggler Derek.” Said Amborn, but Derek was anything but happy about it.

“He must go home.” He said simply.

“But Derek…he’s come so far already.”

“Amborn, the road we take is far too dangerous to bring him with us. He could meet his death if he comes with us…and I find this coincidence a bit…suspicious. I’m not sure I trust him.”

“You can trust me!” said James loudly.

Derek shook his head.

“Of course you would say that. Amborn, the risk for all of us would be far too much.”

It was true. Amborn knew that the road would be perilous and that a young man like James would be in even more danger than Derek and he would be in. Still…

“If we send him back…in times like these…” Amborn was thinking fast and speaking slowly. “It would be more dangerous for him to make that journey alone than to come with us. Besides that, he knows our plans and would be an asset to the enemy if he were captured.”

It all sounded very convincing. Amborn had wondered where the words had actually come from. Did I actually say that?

“I…” Derek hung his head and stood back up. He shoved a small dagger into James’ hands and kept walking. “Once again I trust your judgment Amborn…I don’t know how you do it.” He shouted back.

James smiled and Amborn took his shoulder. Together the three of them began walking further through the woods.

“How far behind us were you?” asked Amborn curiously.

“I went to gather my things not long after you two left town.”

“Didn’t you have any family or friends who will worry after you?” Amborn asked.

“Not really.”

“Wait a minute…were you near Narsik during the battle?”

“Yea,” began James. “I saw everything from the forest…I’ve never seen anything like what you did out there sir.”

Amborn started thinking and a quick thought popped into his mind.

“James! Did you possibly see what happened to see anyone being taken away from the fields; a tall skinny man in extravagant armor and brown hair?”

The complete disappearance of Peter had been troubling Amborn deeply and any hint of what might have happened to him would have been valuable information that Amborn could send back to Brandon when they reached a village.

“I’m sorry…I was trying to keep track of you and Derek…that was hard enough. Was he someone important?”

“Perhaps.”

They continued walking on in silence. There were questions Amborn knew he should be asking, facts he knew he should be informing James and more importantly, Derek, of. His mind was full of so many secrets that he had been keeping and he was finding it hard to keep telling his friend lies. James will ask questions as well…more lies I will have to tell.

“You’re lucky to be alive then.” said Derek. “You could have been killed at any point…following us. You should have let us know.”

James looked at Amborn as if hoping that he would come to his defense again but Amborn merely motioned for James to respond himself.

“Well I was afraid. I thought you might have sent me home or…worse.” James looked sad.

“You should have told us.” Derek repeated firmly.

“James,” said Amborn. “You seemed happy with your place in Ailforth. Why would you leave?”

“I was…content. But the truth is that there was nothing for me in Ailforth. It’s a small village and I hadn’t many friends…any family. I didn’t have a future there and the two of you were kinder to me than many of the people there.”

“So you left…” said Amborn understandably.

“I had the feeling that you guys were doing something important. I didn’t know what you understand, but I knew that there was something different about you both. When I saw you fight those kelts…I knew I had made the right decision.”

Amborn felt his teeth grind into his lower lip.

“About that…” he said.

“It’s alright!” said James quickly. “I won’t tell anyone.”

“That’s good. But there’s something else that you both need to understand…just because I can do these things…it doesn’t mean we should take any unnecessary risks. I can’t always control it and I have next to no understanding of the rhyme or reason of it.”

Derek looked back and nodded. James was obviously trying to figure out which question he wanted to ask first.

“Sometimes,” said Amborn. “It’s best just to say nothing at all.”

“I only have a few questions…” said James, nearly stuttering.

“This is one of those times.” said Derek stoutly.

James finally understood and kept his mouth shut for quite some time. After about an hour of stumbling through the trees with nothing but the wind to listen too, even Amborn felt the need to talk again.

“I suppose you should know where we are going…and why we’re going there.” He said to James. James nearly jumped at the sound but he opened his eyes wide and tilted his head to listen.

“We are going to Palamoore. Derek and I have been arranging an army to march against Zaleth. The men of Narsik have agreed to wait for our return…now we must convince the men of Palamoore and the other gargils to make peace with each other and march their armies to Narsik. I suppose you know about the hatred between Palamoore and the gargils?”

“Of course…how will you bring them together?” asked James.

“I don’t know yet.” Amborn said flatly.

James looked shocked and turned to Derek for some explanation but Derek merely said, “He’ll figure it out…just before everyone dies and the world burns down…I’m sure.”

“It’s amazing that the two of you alone could be sent on such an important task! Who arranged all of this?” James was excited but he was doing very well at keeping himself under check. He almost sounded like an adult; Amborn had to remind himself that he wasn’t.

“No-one…actually. We’ve set out on it under our own impulses.”

“So you brought Narsik to agree with you just by meeting with them? Without any official orders or anything?”

“Yea.”

“Amazing!” James laughed and shook his head. Derek even smiled.

“We’ve been very lucky so far. But Palamoore will prove a completely different situation I fear. Derek knew the current leader in Narsik as children, so he was willing to trust me. Palamoore will do no such thing. I’m not even sure I should let Derek come with me.”

Derek looked a bit upset but then turned and continued walking. There was no way around it, the city of Palamoore deeply despised gargils and marching straight up to the city gates with a gargil as your ally would be a good way to abandon all hope of getting inside. They had been lucky enough to pass him off as Amborn’s slave before, this would be different.

“But that’s a ways off yet…we may have other things to worry about. Keep your eyes and ears open and keep a look out. Do you know how to use that dagger?”

James held it up and turned it over a few times in his hand. Amborn could tell right away that he was experienced with a blade.

“I learned a bit…different people would show me how to protect myself when times got real bad in Ailforth…I don’t know how much good I’ll be sir…but I know what I’m doing.”

“Right then…I’m glad. Enough with that sir stuff though, you can call me Amborn. I’m nobody special here, so don’t give me any titles that don’t belong to me.”

“I was only trying to be polite.” said James. “But if you insist…”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound rude. I’ve just had a lot of compliments and praise lately…I’d rather not.”

“I understand…” but Derek held up a hand and shushed them. Quietly they stood there in the midst of the wilderness.

“Do you hear that?” asked Derek so quietly that Amborn could barely make out his words.

“No…what is it?”

“I’m not sure…it sounds like…voices….” Derek was staring out into the deepening darkness. Amborn was listening as closely as he could but he couldn’t hear anything but the wind.

“I don’t hear anything.”

At that moment a very distinct sound was heard however, by all three of them. Amborn recognized the noise immediately. He had heard it many times in his past life. Somewhere in the forest a tree had fallen.

“What do we do?” asked James.

“Find it.”

They took off towards the sound and soon walked right into a clearing where several straggly men were chopping down trees.

“It is…considered evil to cut down the trees of Bluecular.” Said Derek slowly as the men turned around and drew their swords.

“Who are you? What do you want?” They asked.

“I want you to stop cutting down these trees! What business do you have?”

“Amborn…those who cut down the trees can create great poisons…these men can’t be trusted.”

The first of the three men lunged at them and Derek quickly sliced his throat. The second jumped at James who barely managed to evade him. Amborn took a knife from his pocket and threw it at the man and caught him in the neck. The third man stood watching as his friends continued to spray blood across the earthy ground. Finally he tossed his blade to the ground and began to run.

“Well…that was something.” James said with a smile.

But something began to move. The man was suddenly sprawled out on his stomach and being dragged back towards the company. From what Amborn could see, a vine was pulling him by his feet. Just when he was about to collide with Amborn’s legs, he was lifted up and hung upside down from a branch on a nearby tree. Derek drew his sword again and James held up his blade.

“What is this? What’s going on?” screamed the man through fear and pain.

Amborn watched in horror as another vine quickly grabbed him by the neck and pulled until his head became detached from the rest of him. James hurled and collapsed on the ground.

“Who is doing this?” shouted Derek.

“I am…” said a low rumbling voice that made Amborn shiver. Following the sound of it with his eyes, Amborn came upon a very old tree that was positioned behind him. It was very large, but stranger than all of that; it was covered in thick red bark…and it had a face.

“What are you?” said Amborn as gently as possible.

“You stopped the men from harming the trees…” the face in the tree was speaking slowly and thinking out every word before managing to say it.

“Yes…we did.” Said Amborn

Derek had been standing perfectly still and looking as grim as death. He was staring at the face intently and every blink came slower than the last.

“Who are you?” asked Amborn.

“I am the tree of life. I am the sea of knowledge…and I am the man Bluecular.” The face scrunched up a bit at the sound of it’s own name. “But that was long ago.”

Derek fell to his knees and James nearly followed if not for catching himself on his knee.

“That’s impossible…” said Amborn doubtfully. The face took quick offence to it.

“Nothing is impossible…I did many things that were deemed impossible in my time as a man. I have continued to do new things.”

“How is it you came to this…how?” said Derek, standing back to his feet. The face turned and gave Derek and quizzical examination before answering.

“Like all men I knew that death was coming for me…my time was drawing to a close….after everything I had done I knew there would be a way to prolong my life. I began searching for answers,” the face was enjoying itself and its story. “I found what I was looking for. I soon realized that I could create a…potion of sorts…that would give me life…but at a great cost.”

“You’re a tree.” said James. In an instant a vine had swooped down and was holding James by his feet.

“I am no mere tree!” The face bellowed. “My spirit has been contained to this…shell. But I am much more than that…”

Amborn was panicking now and the situation as growing more and more tense.

“Please!” He said. “Put my friend down. He is an honest boy…just a bit new to socializing I’m afraid.”

Bluecular nodded for an excruciatingly long time and then slowly put James back down.

“I owe you a kindness.” Spoke the tree. “Name your price for helping my children.”

Amborn thought on it for only a moment. He knew what he needed to ask.

“Would you please help us in our efforts against Zaleth?” he said.

“Zaleth, you say? I do not know such a being.”

“The one who is taking your trees and the water from the river…he’s creating…foul creatures.” Amborn was nearly pleading. He could easily see the advantage having Bluecular’s aid could be.

“The Dark One!” spat the face. “He has killed many of my children…taken water from the precious rivers that I created…not for life and knowledge…but for evil and treachery!” The face was glaring off into the distance at the large gashes in the sides of the trees.

“Yes…that would be Zaleth.”

“What would you have me do, human?” asked Bluecular.

“There will be a battle in the coming weeks…we will be taking all of our forces and meeting Zaleth at his castle at Talay-Sul…I would have you give us any help you could.”

The face thought and thought and then a wide smile spread across the gnarled bark.

“I promise you this…you will have my aid…beyond that I can share no further details. Do you accept this as your final payment?”

“I do.” said Amborn with a grin.

“Then be gone.” said Bluecular.

They wasted no time. It seemed like they ran much longer than the time they had actually spent speaking with the face. By the time they came to a rest Amborn’s knees were shaking and he was out of breath. James let out an exasperated sight and laughed.

“Can you believe it?” He asked excitedly.

“Not really.” was all Amborn could manage.

Derek was still silent. He seemed to be re-evaluating his entire life. It puzzled Amborn how such a creature as Bluecular could have existed without Ortanu’s efforts. It confused him terribly, but more than that it hurt Amborn to let Derek believe that Bluecular could actually be something worth believing in as a religion.

“Do you suppose my people have been right…all of this time?” He asked Amborn at last.

“I honestly do not know. But Derek, what I saw was a man who is now a tree…not a being worth worshiping…but someone who has made many mistakes during his existence.”

Derek’s eyes widened and then closed. Whatever he was thinking Amborn could only imagine. They spent the night under a large tree and staring up at the stars, but none of them bothered to discuss the events of the day. For Amborn, he wished only to mull it over in his mind anyway, so he was thankful. Before he knew it, he was asleep.

His dreams were filled with visions and darkness. The image of Ortanu imploding replayed itself over and over again amidst other visions of the battle at Narsik and the creatures of the black forest. Now however, there was a new vision of a large red tree with the facial features of a man mixed into the rest. Amborn’s brain would have exploded if he had not been suddenly awoken by the sound of voices.

James was sitting next to a fire and asking questions. Derek was cooking breakfast and refusing to give answers.

“It’s a good thing I’m starving.” He said as he sat up to wish them a good morning. They returned the favor and all three of them sat down to eat. It was a delicious, if not entirely exciting meal, of fried fish and berries. Afterwards they packed their things and continued off through the forest. According to the maps, they would be soon arriving in a small village called Alberoux; the one that Amborn had seen when he had first arrived in Lamerith.

“You will feel much at home here.” said Derek to James. “Alberoux and Ailforth are quite similar. Of course, there used to be many such small villages in the country…but it’s not a safe place for a city without walls anymore. Most of them have been left abandoned.”

“How have the two survived?” asked James.

“Perseverance and bravery, some might say; luck and stupidity, according to others.” Derek grinned and even James had to agree.

Alberoux did have much in common with Ailforth. But there were noted differences as well. Amborn could tell right away that the village of Alberoux was in much better repair than Ailforth, and its people seemed to be in much better health and spirits. There had been men and women on the streets of Ailforth begging for change and food, but Alberoux had no such beggars. The buildings were finely crafted and sturdy, despite being built of many of the same materials as Ailforth had been.

“There’s no well handler.” said James with a laugh. “Everyone is doing it for themselves.”

“Do you know this place well?” asked Amborn. Derek turned and smiled.

“Well enough to know that we won’t be welcomed here.”

“Why? What have we done wrong?” James asked.

“We’re outsiders…I am a gargil…Alberoux will not take kindly to us. We should stay no longer than a night if we have too. I would sooner leave and continue travelling to be honest with you.” Derek pressed forward.

Amborn hadn’t noticed it before, but now that it had been brought to his attention he could see that several people were staring at the trio disdainfully. There were frowns and scours and some were even whispering and pointing. So much hatred… It amazed Amborn how many people had become distrustful and cynical throughout Lamerith. It reminded him of his previous life and the world he once lived in.

“I think we should go.” said James suddenly.

“Why? Is something wrong?” asked Amborn.

James bit his lip and turned to point at a group of men who were drawing their swords and marching towards them. Amborn nodded and motioned for them to leave through the other side of town. It had disappointed Amborn to be forced to leave the village so soon. He would have enjoyed the time to rest and the opportunity to speak with others on the latest news and world happenings but the men and their swords stayed at the border of town and glared after Amborn and his friends until they were completely out of sight.

“Why would they draw their blades?” asked Amborn.

“They are probably trying to weed out anybody that could be a spy for Zaleth…many people are doing it…smaller towns have to be more careful…you mustn’t blame them.” Derek was mumbling and walking slowly.

“Why don’t we just stop here for the night? We can continue tomorrow.” Amborn stopped and threw down his bag. James followed suit and so did Derek eventually. Amborn wasn’t sure what was wrong with Derek, but he was growing quieter and his words were not as hopeful as they had been before leaving Narsik. I can’t blame him…this has been a journey through madness and insanity…I’m not as hopeful as I was before either…