logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2014 02:26:52(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Artist: Nadia Berry
Album: Diamond in the Rough
Genre: Indie pop, indie rock, synthpop
Label: Diamond Records
Recorded: May 2013 - December 2013
Lyrics: Nadia Berry
Production: Jared Nevo, Nadia Berry

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 30 January 2014 05:32:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 14 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Walton on 02/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/01/2014(UTC), kandii on 02/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/01/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/01/2014(UTC), Mckenzie- on 03/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 03/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/01/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 04/01/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 05/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), Matticus on 12/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 29/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2014 02:26:59(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It's a new year, new album, new sound for superstar Nadia Berry as she shares her record with Pitchfork readers for the very first time, ahead of its February 3rd album release. The first taster she gives is track one on Diamond in the Rough, the explosive and emotionally heavy "Stone Cold World", and if Nadia's looking to make a statement with the very first song on the album, she's certainly achieved that and more. Going into a new Nadia Berry album can always be an exciting experience, the "Records On" songstress has always experimented with various different genres, but has never taken such a risk until now. However, before you even get a chance to adapt to some of the heavier music on her new album, you're thrown into the deep end with a sudden, explosive guitar intro which really sets the tone for the majority of the album and shows that Nadia's certainly not playing the nice pop girl this time round, she's making a statement and means business. It's no secret Nadia has a smooth, soft voice that works perfect for pop songs, but once her vocals soon come into the song over the top of the razor-sharp guitar licks and energetic drums, you realise how versatile the singer really is, it works surprisingly well and a lot better than the average listener would think.

"Cause the seasons are changing / And the story of my life is rearranging" she sings with a little more power in the chorus, backed by louder guitars. When a singer tackles a personal album, it can sometimes come across as contrived, but Nadia's lived her life in the public eye for many years now and we're all well aware 2013 was a tough year full of changes for her, and it's evident with the way she presents the lyrics to us, making her words all the more believable. Not only does the singer open up about losing a loved one in the first verse, she goes onto sing about betrayal and all the things she's experienced that have made her realise it really is a stone cold world later in the song. Her voice is notably soft and sweet to the ears, before her voice turns a little more aggressive near the end of the second verse, "When you get hurt, I hope it hurts harder than ever before," she almost shouts over the dominant guitars in the track. It sounds bratty on paper, but it works completely and does what we expect she wanted it to do, give the song a little attitude. We don't know who's got on Nadia's bad side, but we'd hate to be in their shoes...

The song takes a vulnerable turn for the middle-eight, where everything drops out but a quiet, distorted drum loop in the background, which Nadia sings over gently. It's a striking moment in the song that stands out purely for its more mellow nature after around two minutes of full-on, powerful music. However, it doesn't take away from the song at all and only makes it all the more effective, letting the lyrics do the talking for a moment. "Now I'm going at it alone, out in the cold / I'll suck it all up and with my head held high / I'll carry on and just walk on by," Nadia sings in true fighting fashion. Nadia has proved time and time again that while she's been through a lot, she's managed to carry on and walk past her demons, making it almost a fitting theme tune to her own life. Although, things don't die down for too long in the song, where the chorus swoops back in more noisier than ever, slightly drowning out Nadia's vocals this time, before the song comes to an abrupt end.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"Just to start off, I want to say that I'm so thrilled to be sharing this album with you guys with the help of Pitchfork, who'll be revealing tracks from the record all this month before the official release. The only reason I love it so much is because you guys get to hear this music so soon! I realise we've just entered a new year and this isn't the most positive song to start it off, but hey, there's nothin' wrong with a little sad song, right? 'Stone Cold World' is a track I did quite late down the line of the making of this album, and I decided to put it as the first track, because if there's any song on this album that sums up last year, it's this one. It's about me realising how cruel the world can be, but I can't do anything about it. The song itself goes through various different subjects where I've realised how hard it can be at times to live in this world, whether it's losing a loved one due to death, breaking up with someone, being betrayed, it makes you realise that we as humans really do go through a lot of heartache in our lives, and I sing about all those hard times throughout the duration of the track.

I wanted to introduce people to a new side of me, and this song was the one I felt would be able to do it best. This album definitely has a heavier sound to it than my previous ones and some songs have that hard edged rock feel, having an almost 90s grunge element to them that I was very much inspired by, because it was the perfect way for me to vent and really get my emotions out on these songs. On the radio, we're constantly hearing pop music that's been tweaked to hell and back to make it as perfect as can be, so I wanted to kinda go against that in a way and make the songs feel more raw, almost as if they're still in demo form. The music is extremely powerful and often drowns out my voice at moments in the song, but that's completely what I wanted. It represents how I've felt at times, as if my head or heart was going to explode, but being in the studio making music like this song in particular kept me sane, thank goodness! I was able to sit down with Hey Lolita's Jared Nevo, who produced this album with me, and tell him the sound I was going for, and we really hit the nail on the head once we made this song. Because that was when a lot of the songs started to form around this one and I wanted to make them a little bolder and rockier. That was when Diamond in the Rough started to take shape."

UserPostedImage

"Stone Cold World"

(Sounds like)

I make friends with people with places to go
A subtle hello and it's time to hit the road
There's no stopping the journey you're on
Couldn't pull you over, cause I know it'd be wrong
To stop you from going to better places, seeing angel faces
You're better off with your foot on the pedal
Ride down that open road, out of time like a Rolling Stone
You said you'd be just a little too far to call me on the phone
But just know that you're never alone

Cause the seasons are changing
And the story of my life is rearranging
Everyone around me's leaving
And I've left that winding road behind
Everyone's packing up their things and retreating
And I've got a new life to find
You said it's a stone cold world, ain't it girl
It's a stone cold world, don't cha know
That it's a stone cold world for a lonely soul

Holding hands with the face of betrayal
When you turn your back, it's more than painful
Kissing the lips of a devil, friends now distant strangers
And I ran from everything that I called home
Just to search for a place to go
No more heartbreak, only so much that I could take
Deceiving eyes, dirty lies, aiming with your Cupid's arrow
No matter how hard you try, you'll always be living in my shadow
When you get hurt, I hope it hurts harder than ever before
When I walked out, I didn't expect you to open that same door

All the people I had to say goodbye to
All the people that broke my heart in two
Every time these tears fall and I start to cry
Made me realise, maybe I should dry my eyes
Cause heartbreak's in fashion this season
You can sleep easy, cause you're the reason
Closed my mouth to silence a story to be told
Now I'm going at it alone, out in the cold
I'll suck it all up and with my head held high
I'll carry on and just walk on by

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 04 January 2014 04:56:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 16 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Walton on 02/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 02/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/01/2014(UTC), kandii on 02/01/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 02/01/2014(UTC), Mckenzie- on 03/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 03/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/01/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 04/01/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 05/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 29/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 01/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2014 05:04:46(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Towards the Sun" is track two on Berry's Diamond in the Rough and is a drastic switch in sound from the heavier influences on "Stone Cold World", Nadia may have been eager to introduce a new sound on the album's opening track, but she throws in this summery pop gem straight after, most likely to appeal to her long-term fans, reminding those of why they came to become a fan of hers in the first place. It can be a scary thing to experiment and switch up a sound that works well for you as an artist, so it's a safe move to ensure she doesn't alienate a large portion of her fan base. Nadia has always had some form of pop at the base of all of her songs, and she's fully embracing those roots with this track in particular. Slightly predictable? Perhaps. We've seen her pop side with the reunion of GirlSpice this year, and there was enough mainstream music on Hera to appeal to the masses, however there's enough in "Towards the Sun" to keep things fresh for the singer, possibly down to input from Hey Lolita's Jared Nevo. Instead of serving up a simplistic pop song, the infectious track infuses disco influences and distorted 90s-esque piano loops to make for a retro sounding track that could very well become another hit for the singer if it was to be released as a single, best suited for the summer.

Of course, this won't be the first time the majority of her fan base will have heard the song, "Towards the Sun" instantly downloads if you pre-order the new album on iTunes, and it's not hard to see why this one was chosen as a taster for the record, showing a more light hearted side. Nadia gave fans an insight into a more indie-pop sound with lead single "Make It Right", and shows she's not straying too far from her previous music with "Towards the Sun". She may have been through a lot recently, but she still know how to have fun in her music and craft a good pop song. She sounds like she's genuinely having a lot of fun based on her vocal delivery, and it makes listening to the song that little bit more of an enjoyable experience. Nadia sounds full of life and almost as if you can tell she was smiling while recording the track. "Cause all we've ever really wanted / Is our chance to walk towards the sun," Berry sings in the energetic chorus over layers of synths. It's a cheerful, uplifting song, that might be a slight rarity on Diamond in the Rough, which fans will find out further down the track listing, but it feels much needed and shows a different, more happier side to Nadia.

For those listening closely, you'll notice Nadia gives a little nod to one of her biggest singles "Records On" in the second verse as she sings "Turn off the radio, I wanna put my records on / And kiss you all over to your favourite song". The middle-eight comes in soon after as Nadia's backed by plenty of background vocals, hand claps and a sole drum beat, whilst the lyrics remain as hopeful as ever, as she sings about overcoming the bad in a relationship. I think we all know Berry's music career is just a tad more successful than her love life, so it's nice to know she's still optimistic.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"You guys should remember this one if you pre-ordered the record! At the time, I said I wanted to make this one available beforehand because it shows some diversity on the record and that it's not all doom and gloom. It's a song I wrote in July 2013 and it's probably why the song reminds me of summer so much, but not just because of when I wrote it, but for the sound of it too, which is something I definitely wanted. Once you hear it, you're straight back to picturing yourself on a gorgeous Maui beach, it's one of those songs that cheers me up big time. You might be able to dance to it, but it doesn't mean I've opted for lyrics that mean less than any other song on the album, because it's definitely a song that holds a special place in my heart. It's about realising why you go through what you do within in a relationship, because you're forever searching for the highs, that's where the paradise is. When you're walking towards the sun together, it's really just a sweet little mushy love song that I hope can be a guilty pleasure to those who don't even like my music.

It's very light and airy in its sound, it reminds me a lot of what's on the Hera album, it's just something you can enjoy listening to, it's extremely melodic and a lot of fun. At the same time, it's not what I'd call a standard club track, it's very pop but it's got a lot of different elements to it and an almost old school feel that helps it to fit in with other tracks on the record that go for that same vibe. I definitely took control mostly of this song's production as I've got a lot of experience within pop, but having Jared's input really helped me to steer away from something that I've done before, and helped me to make an upbeat, fresh track that stands out in my discography."

UserPostedImage

"Towards the Sun"

(Sounds like)

Remember when we used to commit the sweetest sin?
Walking in the sunlight in our summer skin
All we ever needed was a familiar face
A new place, and each other's warm embrace
We're all searching for something more
And that's all I'm living for

Take me to golden California, we can sip on margaritas
And you can make me your señorita
Make me shake my moneymaker, troublemaker
And we'll get hot, hot, hot like Jamaica

And instead of running away, for once
We'll shine together, we'll take a chance
Cause after every bloody war
We find out what we're fighting for
We don't do it cause we dare, we do it cause we care
And instead of screaming, for once
We'll raise our flags and call a truce
Cause all we've ever really wanted
Is our chance to walk towards the sun

Let's run far from the smoke and mirrors
I don't wanna be stuck in a permanent winter
A summer love's so hard to find
So let's not be stuck in these worst of times
Pick me up and drive me round in your car
And we'll rediscover what we are
Turn off the radio, I wanna put my records on
And kiss you all over to your favourite song

Together, we'll be so free
Sail out to sea, come party with me
Give me some fun, dance out in the sun
And it'll feel like our love has just begun

I don't know where we're heading
But baby, I'm betting
That you wanna go somewhere far, far away
Somewhere hotter than today
And we'll burn brighter than before
Start up a fire that we can't ignore
Cause even when the stars are shining
In their perfect design, they're all aligning
The sun's still there, so we fight to carry on
We keep on trying, riding down the valley

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 12 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 04/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 04/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 04/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 04/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 04/01/2014(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 04/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 05/01/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 05/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 11/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 01/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2014 08:31:34(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Track three on Berry's Diamond in the Rough is "We Found Each Other" and surprisingly, Nadia keeps up the hopeful, optimistic act for another song on the record as the lyrics tell the tale of Nadia finding the one. We don't even think Nadia was this positive about love when she actually was in a relationship back in the days of Open Heart Surgery and Hera, so it's funny to see how the singer is only just now starting to be more open about this side to her. Perhaps she's craving for something she doesn't have? Either way, "We Found Each Other" is a euphoric love song with dark, moody verses and a soaring, anthemic chorus of building synthesizers that you could imagine an arena full of people singing along with her. It's a big moment on the album and probably one of the most melodic, memorable choruses you'll hear on Diamond in the Rough. Whilst many electronic tracks can be layered with noise to bulk it up, "We Found Each Other" sounds slick and effortless in its production. It's very comparable to previous song on the track listing "Towards the Sun" with its pop influences and lyrical subject, but the moods in the two songs differ greatly.

Despite "We Found Each Other" being a song about love, there's a large sense of sadness in the lyrics, especially in the chorus as the story Nadia sings makes it seem as if the two people have hit rock bottom and have gone through a great deal of suffering to get to the stage where they're at now. There's a slight coldness in her voice and the song isn't as happy as it sounds when you hear it for yourself as she sings "Picked up one another when nothing else remained", later following it with "We don't always have to be the ones to suffer" near the end of the chorus. The short intro to the song is the same beat used in the chorus, but without any words heard, it's not hard for the listener to misinterpret the true feeling of the song for something much happier, as the title gives off. The style of the verses is largely stripped back and incredibly peaceful compared to the chorus, as there's a slight echo behind Nadia's gentle vocals, maybe the softest you'll ever hear her on the album. There's a relaxed acoustic guitar beside her vocals, the only thing that stands out beyond it all is a pounding drum beat that never dies down throughout the song, sounding powerful but never too much of a contrast to the style of the verses.

The only time in the song where Nadia's voice doesn't sound so restricted is on the chorus, where despite the coldness in her vocals, she powers over the dominant beat and sounds as if she's truly singing away any pain in her life. The vocal delivery and subtle elements of sadness in the song only add further depth and manage to steer the track away from ever coming across as bland or cliché. It's one of the last songs fans get to hear on the album with such a prominent electronic influence, as the shift in sound begins with lead single "Make It Right" next on the track listing, back to the sounds of what we heard on "Stone Cold World" at track one. However, "We Found Each Other" shows that Nadia certainly hasn't lost her touch when it comes to such songs, as she decides to branch out of her comfort zone for the majority of the new record.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"This was another song that I wrote in July of 2013 and I see it as the sister song to 'Towards the Sun', which is funny because I've always felt like I've had sister tracks on every record of mine. With Open Heart Surgery there was 'Hooked on Love' and 'One of Those Days', then Hera had 'Runaway' and 'Glue & Glitter', so it's nice to have some sort of continuation and link to those albums. It's just those two are the poppiest on the record and deal with the subject of love on a pretty happy note, which is quite rare for me! While 'Towards the Sun' is about overcoming your problems, 'We Found Each Other' is a lot more focused on the moment you meet someone you feel that instant connection with, which I think we've all felt at some point in our lives, whether we judged it right or wrong, sometimes we can't help but to fall too fast for someone. But the song is all about embracing those feelings and taking a risk, being brave enough to allow yourself to feel what you do because it may actually turn out to be the best decision you could have made.

There's a mellow, indie pop vibe to the verses on this song and it ends up soaring into this really pop anthemic chorus that I adore, which makes me super excited to perform this one in particular live, because picturing a whole audience singing and dancing along to this makes me want to get up on a stage already. Falling in love can be one of the easiest things we do as people, because we can't help it as much as we sometimes fight it. The lyrics really reflect that, I didn't want to over think it and just went with what felt natural to me when I was writing it. We go through a lot in life and it's not solely about falling in love, it's realising that you might be damaged goods and have those battle wounds and scars and whatever, but you push on through to try and find someone who's willing to see past that, because they have them too."

UserPostedImage

"We Found Each Other"

(Sounds like)

From friends to lovers
And nevers to forevers
You can't plan a love from the start
And you can't predict this wild heart
We're untamed and ready to open up
We're falling fast and there ain't no stopping us

Come and catch me, come and catch me
We're like lions that have been set free
All we ever did was look for a rush
From sunset, we hunted love

And we found each other
We conquered love together
Oh, through all the starry-eyedness
We found each other in the darkness
Picked up one another when nothing else remained
And after one look, we were never the same
We don't always have to be the ones to suffer
Now that we found each other

There was always something telling us to never let go
Always something telling us to never say no
That's when we found a cure for heartbreak
Strong enough to stop all the heartache
We'll replace the pain in each other's veins
And across my heart will forever be your name

Come and catch me, come and catch me
We're like lions that have been set free
All we ever did was look for a rush
From sunset, we hunted love

And we found each other

And who knows what you'll find
In those darkest moments, got nothin' but hell on my mind
Just when you think you've almost been defeated
You find that cure you've always needed
Searched all my life, now I've found that missing piece
Fought day and night, now this heart's complete
Cause we, we, we found each other

And we found each other

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 10 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 05/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 05/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 05/01/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 05/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 11/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 11/01/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 29/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2014 03:37:28(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

original post

Quote:
UserPostedImage

With the soft rock vibes of Open Heart and the more pop/electronic oriented feel to Hera, Nadia confirms she went back to her roots with this new album and wanted to make almost the sister record to Open Heart Surgery, something raw and honest, but with a totally different story to tell in the lyrics. "I feel like I've finally found my sound," Nadia reveals when talking about her new album, "I've experimented with a variety of genres over the years and this album just came very naturally to me, both with the sound and the lyrics. I knew what I wanted it to be like before I had even made it."

From the sound of lead single "Make It Right", Nadia has definitely accomplished that raw feeling, stripping away the electronic, computerised beats on the majority of Hera and putting out a single more authentic within itself, a cheerful and upbeat indie pop sound that keeps that vibe of her Open Heart Surgery record, but expands on it and shows a clear growth with both her vocals and the lyrics to the track. The song itself has an almost 80s feel to it with its funky basslines and handclaps, it's a retro sound with a modern twist and fuses slight R&B with gentle rock sounds, powerful live drums adding into the track around the mid-point to add a new lease of life to the song and kick up the tempo a notch.

Vocally, Nadia has never needed some autotune slapped on top of her to sound good on record, she's a better singer than most would suspect for a GirlSpice member, and is more than showing it with the new single. She's never sounded better and her voice sounds completely untouched, furthering the vintage, old school vibes as she sings effortlessly over the funk-rock groove to the song. "Make It Right" opens gently, Nadia delivering the first verse in almost spoken word, before the chorus kicks in, diving straight into singing and additional vocals from her add into the background. Once the live drums add in straight after, her voice builds with power in the second verse and keeps that force throughout the song and into the following chorus, where her vocals layer on top of each other to add strength to the track. A simple bassline plays underneath her voice for the middle-eight and the delivery of the lyrics is once again gentle and it almost feels like Nadia's holding back for just a moment, before giving her all in the final chorus, belting out the lines as stronger drums burst into the song, before it draws to a slow close, a simple handclapped outro heard before its end.

Lyrically, "Make It Right" is fresh within its sound, but familiar enough in its lyrics to satisfy her long-term fans, whilst drawing in new listeners. Nadia has often sung about love and and sex in artistic ways to avoid making her lyrics generic or played out, her song "Records On" as an example, used to unite love within a relationship and her love of music. "Make It Right" however, lyrically deals with the unexpected turns and troubles within a constant off-on relationship that often gets patched up by getting "straight to loving" as she sings. However, it's in no way a sexual song with raunchy lyrics, and although it may be about the making up after a heated argument, it's in fact bittersweet for the most part, as she proves with the line "Love and hate ain't very far from one another". Later on in the song, she sings "There's a fire in your heart that I'm yet to ignite" almost in a sad tone, her emotion felt in the delivery of the line, suggesting that the other person may not feel as strongly about her as she does for them, and that they'll never make it right, but the highs in the relationship keep them together for the time-being.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"I'm very disappointed in you as a fan if you aren't aware of this song yet! It's of course the first single to the album, but I'd like to think I don't have to tell you guys that, seeing as you got it to number one. I truly was struggling to pick a first single for such a long time, but this song had been a contender from the day I wrote it, because I just loved how it flowed and how it was such a mix between my old and new sound. I thought it'd be a great way to introduce people to a new side of me, and I'm thrilled it did the job, because I'm very passionate about this one. I wrote the lyrics in June last year, so it's been with me for a while, and I think when you feel that strongly about a song for all that time, you have to go along with your instinct. I admit, I was nervous when it came to choosing this, I was scared how people would react, but it definitely paid off... phew! I guess I have all of you to thank.

The song is all about a constant on-off relationship, you have no idea where it's heading and you can't make out if there's a future or not, however the problems always get patched up, so you stick together and keep going around in this never-ending cycle. I think it demonstrates how tiring it can be to be with someone, yet you don't want to quit because it's a habit, you're scared to live without the person. It's really quite a mellow song until mid-way when it really kicks in and you hear those big punchy, powerful drums that I love, it really helps to bring the song to life and I fell in love with the music when I first heard it. It blends together a little bit of everything, pop, indie, R&B, then puts an 80s spin on it all. It's a song I'm incredibly proud of and I'm glad that you guys seem to like it."

UserPostedImage

"Make It Right"

(Sounds like)

Another night spent in different beds
With an imaginary gun pointed to your head
All these thoughts that you make me discover
Love and hate ain't very far from one another
And babe, it's our greatest talent
Each day brings a new challenge
A kiss could turn into a word-made war
But we always get past it all

Stupid, stupid games that we've always played
We fight to look forward to the making up
So I'll kiss your lips to keep your mouth shut
Stupid, stupid games played in our own special way
Cause tonight, we're gonna get straight to loving
We'll make the bad between us fade to nothing
I just want you to go and dim the light
Cause tonight, we're gonna make it right

Make it right, oh, oh, make it right
Tonight, we're gonna make it right, make it right

You and me, we're far from the ordinary
Said you and me, it always felt so legendary
So let me loosen up that heart made of steel
We're hurting from meaningless curses, but we'll heal
The truth lies in your eyes, that's why I'm still here
Your loving always helps to seal the deal

I'm gonna make it right, tonight
And when your mind's screaming out for help
I'm gonna make you see, make you believe
That there's no need to be scared
Dim the afternoon sky into a starry midnight
There's a fire in your heart that I'm yet to ignite
So I'll take out the dark with the brightest light
Start a wildfire to burn away these lonely nights

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
snap_itshannah on 08/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 08/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/01/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 11/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 11/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 11/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2014 02:56:33(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Not Enough" is track number five on Nadia's Diamond in the Rough and is said be the answer to previous song "Make It Right" in a way, "a moment of enlightenment in a relationship, a time where you finally realise where you're at" explains Berry herself. It's definitely a great song choice to follow on from the #1 song, as it carries a similar 80s sound and shows Nadia has really thought out the direction she's wanted to go in for this record. Although she has other elements to the album to add some diversity, there's always that vintage feel at the heart to the record as a whole. This time round, the tempo is brought down a notch or two, stripping away the upbeat drums that swiftly come into "Make It Right" for something more relaxed as a consistent electric guitar carries the song throughout its length, lying underneath Nadia's vocals and never becoming too overbearing at any point in the song's duration. It's unexpected of Berry who either goes for a simple piano or acoustic guitar backing when she decides to slow things down on an album, but it's a pleasant change and shows that Nadia can work extremely well on a seductive sounding slow jam. Let's face it, after all those sexual songs in GirlSpice, it's nice to see Nadia lending her vocals to something with a more sensual sound to suit her vocals.

Despite the sultry sound to "Not Enough", the lyrics to the track are near enough opposite to that and shows that in true Nadia Berry style, it's okay if your music and lyrics contrast with one another, because it makes for an exciting, unexpected result that perhaps becomes more effective than if it was an actual song about sex. There may be a little reference in there along the way, but "Not Enough" is purely about coming to terms with your love life and admitting that you want something more, instead of forever being half satisfied. Which Berry sings softly in the pre-chorus, "Cause half satisfied won't ever do / We'd rather live on the edge of suicide". With the sound of the electric guitars and quiet, twinkling synths underneath her vocals, it puts out a powerful message that empty sex and the pressure of keeping a dying relationship going can only end in tragedy. Along with the soft rock vibes at the heart of the song, there's an evident R&B feel to the track, which isn't surprising as Berry reveals the song was "heavily inspired by Prince", which is clearly evident when you hear the track for yourself.

There's been a lot of moments on Diamond in the Rough already in the first five songs where we hear Nadia in all different lights, almost shouting out the words to opening "Stone Cold World", as well as the soft, echoed vocals heard in the verses of "We Found Each Other", the latter in which "Not Enough" follows most. Berry's faint vocals match the lyrics perfectly, she sounds exhausted herself with the relationship as if it's too much of an effort, crooning her way throughout the song before a guitar outro brings the song to a gradual end.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"Track five is 'Not Enough' and it's one of my favourites on the album because it speaks so loudly, yet it's such a relaxed song, and I feel those songs are the best kinds. You don't need the music to do the talking, it's the words that really leave an impact and that's what I was aiming for, something that really captured the listener and made them think about how I was feeling in that moment of time. Which is all true, because I wrote all the songs on this album when I was going through something and needed to get it off my chest, it really did help me and gave me a clearer head. It allows me to read what I've put down and put things into perspective. The title to this song says it all, when you realise what you have is not enough. It's a moment of enlightenment in a relationship, a time where you finally realise where you're at. Whether someone isn't giving you all of them or you don't have all the things you desire when it comes to your love life, it's all about putting your hands up and admitting it, then walking away from it. Because in the long run, you know things will never improve and you don't want to settle for half satisfied.

When you read the lyrics, it's really quite a sad song that's about giving up and no longer wanting to put the effort in, but if you completely block that out and listen to the music, it sounds quite sexy and seductive which completely contrasts with the sadness in the words. I was listening to a lot of Prince around the recording of this song and was really inspired to make a song that was totally his style, I really like to bring myself out of my comfort zone a lot of the time and do things that I'm not used to, and I think that's what made 'Not Enough' a song that I can be proud of. It's really gorgeous and lush sounding, and totally brings out the emotion in the lyrics, it shows that while there's a reference to sex in the lyrics that pairs up to the sound, it's still not enough to keep a struggling relationship going. It's got a really soft and dreamy sound to it, whilst keeping that 80s vibe I wanted at the heart of a lot of songs on this record, so I'm pleased me and Jared managed to pull this one off so well."

UserPostedImage

"Not Enough"

(Sounds like)

Jumping from train to train at the station
We're on a track that's on its way to nowhere
A car ride with no destination
Doesn't matter where we're going, here, there, or anywhere
Our burning hearts died in the winter snow
We tried to protect all that we can no longer resurrect
Living in the past, searching for feelings from a long time ago
Now all that's left is one lonely regret

Cause half satisfied won't ever do
We'd rather live on the edge of suicide
Than feel nothing whenever we collide
No passion whenever we touch, tonight
There's gotta be something more
Something more we should be living for

Well what if we played out like a love scene?
I'd never roll the credits on you and me
Cause it was great, but it wasn't quite perfect
And in the long run, the heartbreak just ain't worth it
Oh, whenever we're together, it's forever or never
And in the end, we couldn't kill the pressure
So if you wanna quit, we'll throw our hands up
Cause this love's just not enough

Used to be satisfied with the road ahead
Groundhog days ruined the best of us
And now we're hanging on by a single thread
And it's just not enough, said it's just not enough
The will to love no longer lives in our hearts
And this home's just a shadow of its former self
We could put up an act and learn our parts
But all we've got going for us is the empty sex
Before our distant hearts put their heads to bed

Cause half satisfied won't ever do
We'd rather live on the edge of suicide
Than feel nothing whenever we collide
No passion whenever we touch, tonight
There's gotta be something more
Something more we should be living for

Well what if we played out like a love scene?
I'd never roll the credits on you and me
And in the long run, the heartbreak just ain't worth it
Oh, whenever we're together, it's forever or never
So if you wanna quit, we'll throw our hands up

We nearly made it, oh baby, we were almost there
We had it all planned out and it was picture perfect, I swear
One last thing pushed us over the edge and when the going got tough
We let go and surrendered our love

Coulda played out like a love scene
But we let the credits roll on you and me
And maybe this heartbreak just weren't worth it
Said we're sticking together, but said goodbye to forever
So let's throw our hands up

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 11 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 11/01/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 11/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 11/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 11/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 11/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 11/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 13/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 20/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2014 07:05:30(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Nadia Berry brings back the careless, brash sounds that introduced us to the album for track six, "Childhood Fears", a track we can most easily compare to "Stone Cold World". At this stage in the album, we've heard a range of tempos and genres on Diamond in the Rough, but nothing this bold and fearless within its sound, Nadia truly takes a risk with this song and shows a much darker side to her, both sonically and lyrically. It's clear at this stage in her career, the "Records On" songstress is tired of going along with safe pop music and is looking to violently shake away that reputation which seems to surround her, purely for being a member of one of the world's biggest girl groups. Luckily for her, "Childhood Fears" is incredibly different to what you'd hear from the group's material, as she ramps up the electric guitar heard in previous song "Not Enough" intensely, her loud, shouted vocals fighting with the harsh sound of the music as if there's some sort of battle to stop her from being drowned out. Whether it's purposely done to reflect the intense emotions she felt at the time is unknown, but it comes across that way and makes the vocal delivery sound authentic to the listener.

There's a dark, rebellious vibe to the verses whilst menacing drums linger in the background and come into the mix every so often to build the song up, before everything falls silent in the pre-chorus, only Nadia's voice heard, a slight echo behind them. It's an effective move that makes the explosive chorus just that little bit more striking, everything's amplified and it's one of the highlights on the album where you can truly hear Nadia's pain in the way she projects her voice over the intense music. If there's any song that you could imagine working well live so far on the album, it's this one, there's a raw feeling from the use of all live instruments, and Nadia's vocals sound like they could have been taken from a demo cut of the track. They sound almost untouched and as if the song was recorded straight from a live performance of hers, but it fits to the music perfectly. "A bottle of red wine and good company / Could really hit the spot some day", Nadia sings confidently in the pre-chorus, as one of the song's main themes is loneliness. "I wrote it over the duration of many lonely nights and the lyrics reflect that in every possible way," Nadia reveals in her artist commentary to Pitchfork. "It's one of the deepest tracks on the record, about wishing how problems that seem so little to you weren't such a big deal to other people."

Although Nadia doesn't exactly reveal every little detail behind the song, it won't be hard to guess who fans will think this song will be about. It was largely speculated that Ryan Ross Hernandez's song "Living in Fairy Tales" was about Berry, and we can only assume there will be a lot of guessing around this one song as to whether it's a response to him. Whether it is or not, Nadia's angry-sounding vocals pack a mighty punch and make the listener wonder what exactly was going through her mind at the time of the recording of this song.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"This was one of the first songs I ever wrote for this album, and I think it's the song that's changed the most lyrically, compared to when I first wrote it. It was one of those songs that I just had to get right, so I was a little OCD when it came to perfecting it. I'd keep coming back to it every other month and keep tweaking things and re-recording it until I was completely satisfied, but the effort was worth the lack of sleep I got! I wrote it over the duration of many lonely nights and the lyrics reflect that in every possible way. It's one of the deepest tracks on the record, about wishing how problems that seem so little to you weren't such a big deal to other people. I think when we all grow older, we have fears that others sometimes just don't understand, and it brings out that child-like innocence in us all. I felt like I was in that position at times and was unable to completely understand why someone was so scared of something that didn't seem like such a huge issue. It's a song to vent frustration, and even if not everyone can relate to the real meaning of the lyrics, everyone likes a nice angry song to listen to instead of punching a wall and breaking your hand!

'Childhood Fears' is what I'd consider the heaviest song on the album and probably not one I'd consider to release as a single if I was looking for a hit, but who knows, maybe I'll be up for a risk in a few months. It's heavily dominated by electric guitars, and I'm almost shouting the lyrics out over them to give the song a pretty chaotic feel, I think a ballad isn't always the best way to go about putting emotion into the song, sometimes you just have to shout how you feel, so I went for something a little different. At this stage in my career, I feel like I'm moving further away from standard pop music in my solo music and more towards heavier rock influenced stuff that a lot of people wouldn't have expected, so I'm really hoping songs like this one can surprise people and show them a brand new side to me. I'm always looking to change my music up with each album. It's all about growth to me, evolving from one album to the next."

UserPostedImage

"Childhood Fears"

(Sounds like)

This world revolves around more than just you
And darling, we're not gonna stay young forever
Push your insecurities onto me, oh, wouldn't that be easier?
Take the weight off your shoulders and put the blame on me
Cause love needs two people to function
So if you're not gonna be that someone
Pack up your things, your smoking gun
Go ruin someone else, I won't bite my tongue
Go back to where you came from, fuck off and run

Is it such a crime to long, to crave?
Let me dream these lonely nights away
A bottle of red wine and good company
Could really hit the spot some day
Cause one-way conversations
Just don't do the same for me lately

Cause you're nothing like what I was expecting
Making me bottle up my hopes that I keep collecting
I never wanted to watch you run for the hills
Never asked to deal with your childhood fears
Maybe there's some things that I just don't understand
Maybe you don't know what it takes to be a man
But I won't carry on raining down these tears
I'm gonna be the one running from your childhood fears

Makes me wonder why I haven't packed a suitcase
And chased after all the things I really want
Cause I'm not gonna let a broken man hold me back
From fulfilling the needs of this longing heart
So I'm driving off, and I'm never coming back
I'm gonna find happiness all on my own
And all the things that you could never provide
Took a day too long for me to decide
That behind the veil of this bride
Is a love that's screaming suicide

And while you're up on stage acting the showman
Spotlight's on you and you look in my direction
Take a good look in the mirror, cause it ain't me
Who pushed me away until I was standing outside
Cause this blame isn't designed for one woman
Shine the light on all your decisions
Love ain't as easy as romance on the television
We've got troubles that I can admit
Oh baby, don't I know it
Just don't be afraid to show it

(Woah, oh, oh, oh)
(Woah, oh, oh, oh)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
RoseJapanFan on 12/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 12/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 12/01/2014(UTC), Laurelles1 on 12/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 13/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 15/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 20/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2014 06:41:05(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Coming into the middle of the album now is "Homesick", a much anticipated track from fans since the track listing was first unveiled, revealing a collaboration with PURE's lead vocalist Ryan Williams. In our opinion, she couldn't have picked a much better collaboration partner for such a song, and let's face it, the two have a lot in common. Nadia's recently moved into the indie territory which Ryan Williams has mastered perfectly over the years, they're both front-man and front-woman of their respected band/group, and if "Homesick" is anything to go by, they're both a lover of a good, old fashioned sad song. The track was recently revealed to be chosen as Nadia's second single to Diamond in the Rough and we don't think fans will have any problem with the choice once they hear it for themselves. "Homesick" is a song that will appeal to the masses with ease, and could likely be a big hit for Berry and Williams if that's the case; it's a heartbreaking love song about looking to be with the one you belong with, forever reminiscing about better times. An atmospheric introduction kicks off the song with a chilling guitar strum, before electronic elements come into sound. Nadia's voice is soon heard for the first time in the song, sounding soft and wispy, an echo backing her voice which instantly gives the track a dreamy vibe, before a steady drum beat kicks in for the pre-chorus.

Once the chorus arrives, Nadia's vocals smoothly layer on top of each other as she sings passionately over a wall of beautiful, hypnotic synths that come into the song. It's a strong chorus with a definite sing-a-long quality to it, there's no huge build-up, it's simply easy-listening music, putting the message of the song out there in an extremely effective manner. While other songs on Berry's album have a certain rebellious feel to them, this isn't one of them, having a tame, soothing feel to it. The song returns to its dreamy state in the verses, Nadia's voice remaining pleasantly sweet throughout the song's duration as it goes hand-in-hand with the gorgeous melodies in the song. "Candlelight's dancing to the sound of us laughing / By the fire, quickly burning away all the time passing", Nadia sings in the second verse, giving off slight "Records On" vibes with the imagery the lyrics present. It's a moment in the song where you can exactly picture what she's singing and it's something she's always managed to pull of well within her lyrics, making the listener immerse themselves deep into the song. Ryan Williams' verse follows the next chorus, and his voice perfectly contrasts with Nadia's to make it an instant stand-out moment in the song, as his vocals sound deep and gritty, full of emotion and longing. He delivers them in a completely convincing way and fills the song with a great deal of sadness. Nadia follows with her own middle-eight, spacey, ambient sounds in the background, the song continuing to remain elegant and gentle.

As the final chorus hits, Nadia and Ryan sing together for the first time in the song and although there's a large difference in their vocals, they blend extremely well together and bring the emotional song to a memorable ending, the music dropping out for the final line as they sing. It's no secret that Berry has been a fan of Williams and his work for some time now, which makes the collaboration feel genuine. The song sounds good on paper and thankfully, it sounds even better when listening, making for one of the album's finest moments.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"I LOVE THIS SONG. 'Homesick' is one of the more recent songs I wrote, in November. I fell in love with it straight away for its simplicity and the meaning behind it, I really think a lot of people will be able to relate to this one in one way or another. It's about simply missing home, missing the person you love, wishing you were reliving out those good memories again and were with them. We've all had moments where we've wished things weren't how they were, so I hope this song connects to others. Whether you're in the military, working away, or simply suffering from a recent break-up, 'Homesick' is one that I know will touch people from all different backgrounds, I knew it had to be the second single once I heard the final version, it was too beautiful to ignore.

It's an emotional and sad song when you listen to the lyrics, but I was eager to get a male feature on the track to give it a different perspective, which Ryan Williams thankfully agreed to, he sounds incredible and the verse he wrote is absolutely perfect. I contacted him and he was willing to work on it with me which was a huge relief, we were speaking in the studio and it was funny to hear how we both had wanted to collaborate for quite some time, so I'm thrilled we managed to finally do it. His part really adds a new element to the track and the lyrics turn it more into a love song than just a simple, sad ballad, as if we're singing together and taking on the role of two people desperate to see each other. It's just us fighting through the heartache, but no matter how hard you fight it, your homesick heart is forever wanting you to go back down that familiar path to the one you love. I really hope people like this one and support it when it's released, it means a lot to me and I want to thank Ryan for his amazing part, working with him was a dream come true."

UserPostedImage

"Homesick" (feat. Ryan Williams)

(Lyrics by Nadia Berry and Ryan Williams)

Nadia
Ryan

(Sounds like)

Oh, we're only getting older
A winter night like this only grows colder
And I've got a hunger for your warmth
Only your arms could pull me out of the storm
Every rose may have its thorns
But if you defy all laws then I'll let down my walls
Pull me inside and we can watch the rain pour

Hurt a little too much, hurt a little too much
And I closed my eyes longing for your touch
Cried a little too hard, cried a little too hard
And I longed for you to stop this aching in my heart

Suitcase down a path and an open road
I took a turn to where nobody knows
A gypsy soul looking for its destination
One body and a mind in two different locations
I built a fantasy brick by brick
Blocked out the world and took the risk
Now I'm walking forward to fill in the blanks
With a homesick heart that keeps pulling me back
Back, back, back down that same old track

Maybe we could reminisce, I'll put my head on your chest
You tell me to go and put my worries to rest
Candlelight's dancing to the sound of us laughing
By the fire, quickly burning away all the time passing
Suddenly we're replicating those old photographs
And the fences I always build come down crashing

Hurt a little too much, hurt a little too much
And I closed my eyes longing for your touch
Cried a little too hard, cried a little too hard
And I longed for you to stop this aching in my heart

Shadows keep whispering to me softly
Keep changing what they're saying to me
A lonely corridor leads the way
My back to the wall, I want to hear you say;
The sweet things you talked about in the night
The stupid things that always led to a fight
Honey, I need you, I hate this place
Honey, I need you, need to see your face

So if you wanna get lost, come and get lost with me
Cause darling, it ain't such a crime to fall in love with me
We pulled each other out of the dark to our better days
If you can feel yourself falling, no need to push me away
We can mend these homesick hearts, oh, whatever the cost
But a love without you is nothing but a love that's lost

(Both Nadia and Ryan sing)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 13 March 2016 23:20:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
BrownSugar on 15/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 15/01/2014(UTC), Laurelles1 on 15/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 15/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 15/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 20/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline Laurelles1  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2014 06:57:06(UTC)
Laurelles1

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 288 post(s)
Jason: Wow. Fantastic. Genuinely, utterly fantastic. I'm very impressed by the whole thing and especially Homesick. It's a brilliantly executed pop song.
Awards (stroking myself and thinking I'm superior):
@Chaos awards:
Best Band - Mind
Best Album - Shattered Fairytale by Mind
Technical Ecstasy - Jason Smith (x3)
Best Solo Male - Jason Smith
Birdies:
Best Producer - Jason Smith

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Laurelles1 for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 15/01/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#10 Posted : 15 January 2014 07:16:53(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Laurelles1 Go to Quoted Post
Jason: Wow. Fantastic. Genuinely, utterly fantastic. I'm very impressed by the whole thing and especially Homesick. It's a brilliantly executed pop song.

Nadia: I REMEMBER YOU... well duh, who doesn't? So thrilled to hear you think so, never thought I'd hear Jason Smith commenting on my music, ahaha. Thank you very much. :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
Offline GirlSpice  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2014 03:08:39(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Track eight on Nadia Berry's new album is "Sorry", continuing the mellow part of Diamond in the Rough that "Homesick" starts off, showing that there's more to the record than feisty lyrics and angry vocals, which is of course a good thing, as Berry has always thrived best on slower songs that let her vocals take center stage. By now, it's clear to see that Berry and Nevo have been incredibly inspired by 80s pop when it comes to the production of multiple tracks on this album. Taking on slight R&B influences and fusing the two together with "Sorry" in particular, they make sure the song never loses its old-school feel and its big, catchy melodies. Thundering drums power through the track in true Phil Collins style as Nadia simply sings about apologising for the mistakes she's made and realising she's done wrong, going back to the place she walked away from. Lyrically, It's a more simplistic song on the album where it's clear what the meaning is behind it, Nadia's an open book for this one and she's happily making her insecurities and vulnerability exposed for the public, something we don't always see from the singer.

"Sorry" is presented by another soothing, calm delivery from Berry as her vocals are filled with sorrow, as if she's disappointed with her past decisions and is showing that she's doing all she can to apologise for her wrongdoings, wanting to make things right for once. For those with a past of regrets and bad decisions, this will definitely be one to tug at the heart strings, as she sadly sings, "I don't pray to God, I just pray someone's listening / You know I'm far from religious / But you give me a reason to believe in something". It's a powerful moment in the song where Nadia realises who she's truly looking to win over, wanting to prove to them that she's learned from her past failures, turning away from religion to simply find someone to believe in, and who believes in her equally. "I just had to stop running / And turn back around, this is my homecoming", she sings powerfully later on in the track during the middle-eight, her vocals at their strongest in the whole song as she belts over the dominant drums in the track.

Overall, the song is one big moment of enlightenment for Nadia that effectively takes the listener on a struggling journey with her, before she comes to the understanding that she's been running away from her true home all along, the place where she belongs. Additional ad libs fade in and out in the background of the final chorus as she brings it to a strong ending, uplifting 80s synths make their way into the song at this point too and lift the mood of the track a little, where we can almost picture Nadia running back home in the pouring rain, as if we're watching the conclusion to a dramatic movie.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"This was a song I wrote on a rainy September day, I think we all have days where we either feel ugly or we feel like we're not good enough or we simply hate ourselves. Just one of those days where you really struggle to be you and you wish you could be in someone else's skin for 24 hours, I'm pretty sure I was having one of those from what I can remember. Life really hits us hard at times and we feel like we can't do anything about it when everything's falling apart, I'm often someone who blames myself for the outcome of certain situations and this was a song where I was really being open and honest with some of the stuff I had done in my past and apologising for it. For causing any struggles in a relationship, for worrying my friends or family, for letting anyone I've ever met down, it was me throwing my hands up and saying that I make mistakes like anyone else and I hope you can forgive me.

A lot of the time I write about perfection in my songs because I think a lot of people expect that of me after being in such a high profile girl group for many years who have achieved so much. Truth is, I'm very far from it and I can really relate to the subject. "Sorry" is very similar to a song I released during Open Heart Surgery called "Nothing Less than Perfection", both songs are me talking about my flaws and showing that although I have my downsides and day-to-day struggles, I'm a good person and all I look for is someone to see that in me. I'm pretty sure I made a spider diagram with Jared when we were planning the sound of this album and two words were very important to me, "EIGHTIES" and "DRUMS", and this song incorporates both in exactly the way I wanted. I felt like I was back in school for a moment or two, but that method certainly came in handy!"

UserPostedImage

"Sorry"

(Sounds like)

Two little words can be the hardest thing
To spill out of this guilty mouth
You can look me in these honest eyes
And I'll vouch to never let you down
But if that's what you wanna hear
I won't leave you to listen to the silence
Cause every moment that's passing
Is just killing us quietly

Thought I was your golden girl
But I went and broke the crown
Tore up my reputation and your sweet hopes
And I know you're still hanging on
So I'll keep fighting through
You know I'd do it all for you
Just to say that I'm sorry

All the nights that you waited by the telephone
All the days I looked for a place to call home
Well I had it all along, but I was running blind
I couldn't be the one to disappoint you now
All these fears and all these insecurities
They're no longer bottled up and hidden away
I'd break the glass and let the demons out to play
Just to let a little light in
I don't pray to God, I just pray someone's listening
You know I'm far from religious
But you give me a reason to believe in something

I dreamt a little too big in this dark city
And the vultures almost took it all away from me
You can run for miles and never look behind
But your roots will always have you in sight
I just had to stop running
And turn back around, this is my homecoming

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 9 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 18/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 18/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 18/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 18/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 20/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 24/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#12 Posted : 20 January 2014 03:41:58(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Let Go" is track nine on Berry's Diamond in the Rough, a haunting and moving piece from the album that presents some of Nadia's most impressive vocals on the entire record and possibly in her entire career. It's not often we hear Nadia on such a slow song, but when we do, Nadia always makes sure to make a song to remember as we hear delicate piano notes open up the song which she's credited for, instantly setting the vibe of the track. Around thirty seconds into the song, we hear Nadia's voice for the first time, a deepness in her voice that's rarely heard as she sings each word both passionately and emotionally. Although the sound is incredibly subtle, it's a striking and dramatic first verse to the track that takes no time at all to hook the listener in, the lyrics unravelling the story of a broken down relationship, struggling to move on and let go of it as we go through the motions with Nadia throughout the song, finding out her true feelings. There's a heartbreaking tone to her voice that gives off a great deal of sadness, as if she's aching from this relationship and unable to come to terms with what it's become.

As we hear the chorus for the first time, Nadia's beautiful upper register comes into the song which contrasts with her deeper vocals in the previous verse, taking the listener by surprise, as if she's determined to make an impact with the message of the song. "So I'd hold on tighter as the nights turned colder / While I moved further away from being sober, sober", she sings elegantly over the piano notes and soft guitar strums that linger in the background. "And when you've got nothing but the television for company / I start to miss you more, and I hurt even worse so suddenly" she delivers in the following verse, the lyrics dealing with loss and loneliness. Just when the listener gets used to the track being a soft piano ballad, trip-hop inspired drums make their way into the mix around a minute before the song's end in the middle-eight, remaining throughout the last chorus as Nadia closes out "Let Go" with her stronger, chilling vocals.

It's another moment on the album where we see Nadia laid bare, with very little noise throughout the duration of the song to back her vocals as we get to hear her vocal abilities for what they are, no vocal trickery on display or explosive sounds to hide behind. Despite being an accomplished singer, Nadia has been a skilled piano player for many years, taking lessons since her childhood, although she presents these skills on only a select few songs in her discography, thankfully this being another one to add to the list. It gives the song a nice personal touch and shows that Berry definitely is involved with the creation of her songs, aside from just the lyrics alone, something we'd like to see more of in future.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"I think you get a moment on every album where it slows down for a little bit and 'Let Go' pretty much picks up from where 'Homesick' leaves off in that sense, with the mellow tempo and the sadness in both its sound and the vocals. It's a song that I knew had a lot of potential, but I wasn't happy with it in its beginning stages, it was the little rough diamond on the album where I could see it had its flaws at first, but there was something about it that kept bringing me back to it, I loved the message and the story it told. So I worked on it through the final few months of last year to perfect it as much as I could, I think it was totally worth it and I'm really happy with it now. It's such a beautiful song because I think even if you can't relate to it yourself, you can sympathise with it. I wanted the whole song to just really catch the listener's attention, so that when you hear it, you stop and actually take a moment to listen to the words and appreciate the meaning behind them.

The lyrics are simple enough and it's about fighting loneliness, not wanting to let go of someone you loved so much because you're scared to be alone and you're not sure how life will be without them. I guess it's not only fear of losing someone, but fear of change. It's a little depressing in all honesty! I wouldn't listen to this one if I was in a great mood because it'd probably completely ruin it... yup, that's my music for you."

UserPostedImage

"Let Go"

(Sounds like)

Heard from your friend that you moved on
Came round to pack your things for you
Maybe you were too scared to show your face
Years of memories into a cardboard box
Guess time was just never in our favour
Told your friend that you could stop by later
Maybe we could work things out, I had my doubts
Guess you did too, cause you didn't show up at my house

No, we both knew that we wouldn't last forever
But I always dared to never say never
So I'd hold on tighter as the nights turned colder
While I moved further away from being sober, sober
I just didn't wanna let go
Of your arm, this bottle, our love
And when the going got tough
No, I just couldn't let go

If you're feeling lonely, then come join the club
Cause baby, I need you like air in my lungs
Call it desperate, but when your heart gets stolen
It's hard to feel nothing but broken, broken
And when you've got nothing but the television for company
I start to miss you more, and I hurt even worse so suddenly

Well there's only so much hiding you can do
You're gonna have to see me sooner or later
So you can keep on putting it off
And even though we no longer get along
It doesn't mean you can't look me in the eyes
And just put a mask on, tell a little white lie
Say that you're doing just fine, and I'll say the same

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 9 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 20/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 20/01/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 20/01/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 20/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 21/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 24/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#13 Posted : 21 January 2014 09:54:48(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As we come to track ten on Diamond in the Rough, we finally get to hear a song on the album that Nadia has teased at one or two times before we even knew the album's track list, "Heaven's Gates". It's a song that fans have been anticipating for a while now ever since Nadia revealed it was a favourite of hers on the album, and it's with good reason, as she confesses it was a song written about the loss of her grandparents, a moving subject for the singer as she sings about memories of them in the album's saddest, most heartbreaking song. If you thought "Let Go" was a tearjerker, just wait till you hear this one, a song that will likely bring many to tears who have lost someone recently. Berry lays her heart out in the open for the world to hear again on "Heaven's Gates" and we almost feel like we're invading her privacy, as she sings about such a personal matter that she's experienced. The song has an eerie opening, before airy guitar riffs creep into the song, Nadia's delicate vocals are eventually heard over the top of them, introducing the song with a verse dedicated to her grandmother.

The chorus has an incredible melancholic melody to it as the song moves into a mix of gentle snare taps and piano, beside the guitar that's already present. Nadia's vocals have a little more volume to them at this stage, she sounds strong, yet vulnerable all at the same time, as if she could burst into tears at any moment in the recording, it's a little uneasy to listen to purely for the sadness in her tone. She follows it up with a verse then dedicated to her grandfather. "Young and wild and running free on those Liverpool streets / Cheering with the crowds on your winning streak", she sings gently in memory of him. It's sometimes easy to forget Nadia is British sometimes, what with her obsession she seems to have with America and the dramatic loss of her accent, so it's a nice nod back to her roots. "This love ain't dying, no, this love ain't dying / And woah, it's gonna keep on growing", she sings in the catchy, yet touching middle-eight, celebrating the bond her grandparents had.

We hear the chorus for one final time, sonically no different to the others we heard earlier in the song, it simply swoops back in to tug on the heart strings, the vocals with slightly more power this time. It's the type of chorus that doesn't need to be switched up dramatically right at the end to leave its mark, the lyrics that Nadia delivers do that all on their own, fading out slowly until silence. It's no wonder this was a track Nadia was excited to share, it could very well become a fan favourite and change a lot of people's minds on her and her music if they were to give the song a chance.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"I'd say out of every song on the album, this was the one that I wanted people to hear the most, just because of the meaning behind it and how personal it is to me. I would actually say this is one of the most personal songs I've done in my entire career, I'm really exposing a very personal matter to me on this song and letting the world hear it, it's often a hard thing to do, but something that felt right this time round. Putting pain and heartbreak into your music can really have a great effect I feel, it engages the listener and makes them truly feel what you experienced at that moment in time, and this is definitely one of those songs. It definitely took me a few attempts to record this without bursting into tears, but I managed to get there in the end, even if you can hear I was struggling to do so. It's a song I wrote about the loss of both of my grandparents, who both died just months apart from each other, I was inspired to write a song in memory of them.

Although it was hard to record and still makes me cry now just to listen back, it makes me smile at the same time, because it's not a song that's purely about losing them. It's about celebrating their lives, it takes me back to all the memories I had with them and makes me realise what incredible lives they led. It makes me appreciate who and what I have in life, and that I should truly make the most of that and never take anything or anyone for granted. My grandparents were totally different people and it makes me laugh how they even came to be, but if there was ever a poster couple for the saying that opposites attract, it'd be them. My grandmother was so beautiful and incredibly sweet, you could always count on her to make you laugh. She had the biggest sweet tooth and loved a cigarette, she'd always have one in her hand. My grandfather was actually from Liverpool and that's why you hear that in the song. He had such a thick scouse accent, it was hilarious, I could barely understand him at times. But he always had a story to tell and loved a drink, he was just a very loud, happy man, always smiling. It's a favourite of mine on the album and I hope my fans can find comfort in this song if they've ever lost someone near and dear to them, it's an incredibly hard thing to go through."

UserPostedImage

"Heaven's Gates"

(Sounds like)

Small body, greatest mind
Little lady, largest heart
Where'd you find the room to put all that love?
Find the money to put that roof above?
Worked your fingers down to the bone
Back then, and you did it all over again
Give a smile to brighten up the day
Presence to bring colour out in the grey

The brightest flowers couldn't save you
No, couldn't pull you from those final hours
Now the only image left in my head
Is of you, sat up in your death bed
Smoking on another one of your cigarettes
And telling the world you had no regrets

Now you're always on my mind
Stuck forever in my dreams
Stole a place inside my heart
And wrapped it up for keeps
Oh, we will never let go
Not even on the day you let us know
That we couldn't decide your fate
And you'd wait for us at heaven's gates

A man larger than life
And a laugh to lift the saddest of souls
Lived life without a plan, but you conquered the land
With nothing but a heart of gold and brandy in hand
Young and wild and running free on those Liverpool streets
Cheering with the crowds on your winning streak
Sometimes it's just the simplest of things
All the stories you told and the smallest of memories
That all mean the most to me

The brightest flowers couldn't save you
No, couldn't pull you from those final hours
You'd stand tall if you could, raising up a fist
Before you gave me your final kiss
Your eyes shut tight for the journey ahead
You said you'll always be with me
So it's you I should never miss

Oh, we will never let go

You lived two troubled lives
Before being pulled together beyond the chaos
Now there's a new life to start in an angel's playground
Cold in the ground, but you'll never stay down
It's not in the nature of two fighting hearts
That could just never be pulled apart

They say till death do us part
But even then, death could never pull you away
This love ain't dying, no, this love ain't dying
And woah, it's gonna keep on growing
They say till death do us part
But even then, death could never pull you away
This love ain't dying, no, this love ain't dying
And woah, it's gonna keep on growing

Oh, we will never let go

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 8 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 21/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 21/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 21/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 24/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2014 06:31:35(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Slowly drawing us to the end of the record is title-track "Diamond in the Rough" at track eleven, sonically moving the sound of the record back to something a little more light-hearted and easy listening. Thankfully, this song comes at a good time on the track listing after emotionally heavy songs such as "Let Go" and "Heaven's Gates", giving the listener a break from such songs and showing some diversity. Nadia makes sure not to throw together too many similar styles or sounds on the album and helps present it for what it truly is, an eclectic mix of deep, meaningful pop music. Lyrically, "Diamond in the Rough" sets the tone for the entire record, so it's not hard to see why Berry named the album what she did, despite revealing she recorded it after coming up with the album's title. It may not be a concept album, but Nadia deals with several themes in this song that are present in many others tracks on the album, just a few of them being love, loss, hope and heartbreak. She kicks the tempo up a notch with this track, kicking it off with sweetly-sung verses paired with lush melodies, soft backing vocals from her echoing in the background as the sound of handclaps drift in and out of the song over ambient noises and synthesizers.

"Cause when you're built so fragile, all you can do / Is pray for a way to get over you" Nadia sings on the pre-chorus in a near whisper. Seconds later, we hear her vocals burst into life with enormous power, whilst punchy, loud drums back her voice in the chorus, blowing away the easy-going verses and bringing the track into a full-on pop anthem where Berry truly shines. Although, moving away from the ballads on the album doesn't mean she's dulled down her lyrics in any way as she sings boldly, "You thought you'd harm me, but I destroyed myself / Before I could ever give you the satisfaction / Of turning someone you once loved / Into a diamond, a diamond in the rough". The following verse sees Berry take control of her life and walk away from someone who's holding her back, looking to find all that's missing in her world as she admits she's not scared to fail, because hey, at least she tried. It's a powerful statement from Berry, a woman who likely craves a lot of things that she still doesn't have, but when she's able to write stuff like this because of it, we can't help but feel like it's a good thing, in a selfish way.

The dominant drums stay present for around half of the middle-eight as she sings "Cause I think you always knew, maybe I did too / That no matter what you could ever do / It'd never be what I really want". After this, everything fades out and nothing is heard but the echo of Berry's voice in the background while she delivers the final few lines, before heading straight back into the explosive chorus without hesitation. Both lyrically and sonically, it's probably one of the album's best choruses and we can definitely imagine this being played on the radio. If Berry's ever struggling for single choices, we strongly recommend this one.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"And we finally come to the album's title track! This has been a favourite of mine on the album ever since I first recorded it, it's just a really pretty, elegant sounding pop song with a punchy, anthemic chorus that just completely grabs your attention. I can imagine the fans loving this one, because it's not too far from some of the stuff I've done on my past albums, but at the same time, it completely works on this record. I think after a few sad songs, this one was much needed on the track listing to kick the tempo up a notch, I wanted something catchy and easy to listen to, yet still have meaningful lyrics to them that myself and others could connect to.

'Diamond in the Rough' is a song about fear of getting hurt, so you protect yourself before someone has the chance to take advantage of you. You'd rather destroy yourself than let them be the one to do it. You know you have your flaws and you're far from that beautiful diamond you want to be, yet you don't want someone to come along and ruin you, turning you into that rough diamond you were scared of becoming. I actually named my album before I even wrote this song, it's a title that has been with me for over a year now, even before Hera actually. The title always appealed to me and was something I could relate to, I just decided to hold off for a while and wait for the right music to come along so I could use it, and when it came to naming this record, I knew there was only one option I could go with."

UserPostedImage

"Diamond in the Rough"

(Sounds like)

You kept pushing me away, but honey
You pushed a little too hard and I slipped over the edge
You held your hand out, but it was a little too late
For me to hold on and break the fall
You thought that I'd just forever be yours
And surrender all my happiness
Well this time round, you pushed a little too hard
And now I'm forever gone

Once you dampen this soul, there's no going back
Used to shine bright, but for me to shatter, it only takes one crack
And before your eyes, I'll tear apart, break into two
Cause when you're built so fragile, all you can do
Is pray for a way to get over you

This heart's used to being hurt
Seen it all, I've been through the worst
I broke the glass of perfect picture frames
Memories are no good when you're nothing
But a diamond, a diamond in the rough
Tender eyes with the darkest lies
You thought you'd harm me, but I destroyed myself
Before I could ever give you the satisfaction
Of turning someone you once loved
Into a diamond, a diamond in the rough

Forever sacrificing hopes and dreams
Live a life so miserably, a heart full of misery
That ain't gonna be me, I told myself
That I deserve all that you can't give
So if that means spreading my wings
Then I'll take flight, even if I crash and burn
I'll go up in flames for you to see, and it won't matter
Cause I might hurt, but at least I won't live with a heart
That aches for eternity in my afterlife

Once you dampen this soul, there's no going back
Used to shine bright, but for me to shatter, it only takes one crack
And before your eyes, I'll tear apart, break into two
Cause when you're built so fragile, all you can do
Is pray for a way to get over you

You were so happy to stand tall, look me in the eyes
Tell a lie bigger than the diamond's size
Cause I think you always knew, maybe I did too
That no matter what you could ever do
It'd never be what I really want
I let you be the temporary leading part to my heart
Before the very end, and we broke off to look for ideal love
Deep down, we're alone and stranded back at the start

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 8 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 24/01/2014(UTC), PANIC! on 24/01/2014(UTC), Walton on 24/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 25/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 26/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#15 Posted : 27 January 2014 00:09:02(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"Shame on Me" brings the album back to its highly-emotional state at track number twelve, the closest thing you'll hear to another ballad at this stage on the record. Its a mid-tempo synth-pop track with R&B influences as the track's lyrics deal with the break down of a relationship, Nadia confessing that it's shame on her for the reason things turned out the way they did. It makes for another open and honest moment on the album where Nadia exposes her decisions and mistakes. While other songs on the album have gone for more harder-hitting beats with powerful drums and guitars, "Shame on Me" glides along smoothly aside Berry's vocals with an incredibly sweet pop beat consisting of new-wave synths, taking the album's sound back to the 80s influences heard on previous songs. There's an incredibly harmless, almost child-like sound running throughout the track, perhaps done on purpose to emphasise Nadia's vulnerability displayed in the lyrics and her vocals. As she opens the song in the first verse, her vocals sound soft while she presents the song in almost spoken word.

The beat throughout its duration changes very little, the only time we hear a slight difference is in the pre-chorus where all other noises fade out but the synths, before the hand claps and gentle drum loops reappear in the chorus. Despite sounding the same as the verses, Nadia's vocals are what makes the chorus stand out, gaining in strength as they're layered on top of each other while she sings in a heartfelt manner, the self-loathing subject of the song contrasting with the sickly sweet music. "Wish I could slip down the disguise to show the pain in these eyes / I put on a front to hide all that hurts / I'm the reason why I made us cry, honey", she sings beautifully, fighting through her pain. Despite being a very pop sounding track, the minimal approach to the production is what truly makes "Shame on Me" shine. In a time where production seems to be everything in mainstream music, Berry lets the delivery in her vocals and the lyrics she writes make the most impact, the beat is simply her sidekick.

She follows up the second chorus with yet another hook as she declares her love for the person she's no longer with, although Berry reveals it's not entirely a song about her own life, it doesn't take a genius to guess who fans will think she's singing about. "Left in the dark and it's more than painful / I feel like we're so far apart in this world", she sings full of longing in her voice, the atmospheric middle-eight full of distorted noise and echoes, making it slightly harder to hear what exactly Nadia's singing, as if her own feelings are drowning out what she's trying to say. Straight after, the chorus comes in as clearly heard as ever before, then closing the track with a short outro, repeating "It's shame on me" before it fades to silence.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"This is absolutely one of my favourites on the album and I've been looking forward to everyone hearing it. I think on a lot of albums, the material tends to drift off as the record goes on and the worst stuff is usually stuck on at the end, but some of my favourite stuff on Diamond in the Rough is genuinely at the end of this album. It's not easy to make a consistent record, but I hope you guys have been impressed so far and like these final few songs, because they're some of my best if you ask me! 'Shame on Me' is just a really pretty, simple pop song that's incredibly easy on the ears, I feel like you can listen to it any time of the day at any moment, because it's just a really melodic, yet soothing song. It's a song about the aftermath of a relationship, analysing it and putting the blame on yourself for why things ended the way they did. It's not entirely about my own life, but more of a general subject that I think we as humans do, when things go wrong, we often look to ourselves.

It was actually the very last song I wrote for the album and I was constantly getting inspired to continue changing it, I wanted the words to be perfect, because I knew it was my last chance to make something for the album before you guys got to hear it. There was an earlier version of this song and I really liked it, but when I get that sudden urge to write and change something, I go a little crazy... I ended up changing the whole entire thing! So really, the 'Shame on Me' you're all hearing now is nothing like the first version we had made. I called Jared up at around 1 in the morning and ordered him into the studio with me because the album copies were so close to getting manufactured. I was screaming down the phone how I had completely rewritten it and needed to record the song again and he thought I was fucking crazy, but he completely understood why I was eager to get it done once he read the lyrics, because he really knew the message I wanted to get out. I'm just happy I had someone to work with who really believed in me and this album."

UserPostedImage

"Shame on Me"

(Sounds like)

I don't care who has you now
In my mind, you'll always be mine, now I've probably run outta time
Couldn't turn back the clocks no matter how hard I'd try
I was fighting against a world who kept us miles apart
Oh, distance can break down the greatest of lovers
But this empty heart still needs you like no other
We broke down cause I knew it'd hurt harder the longer it carried on
I still think of you, so never feel like you're on your own
Don't ever have to worry, cause you're always what I'm missing
I blame myself for the reason I'm alone

Couldn't tell you how I feel cause I don't know what you're thinking
Maybe I'm just a simple mistake or a distant memory
A piece of old history that ended in misery
You'll never see me in the way I see you
And you'll never want me in the way I want you
I held onto you so tight, cause I never wanted to set you free
Deep down, I knew life would never wait for you and me

Wish I could slip down the disguise to show the pain in these eyes
I put on a front to hide all that hurts
I'm the reason why I made us cry, honey
Don't blame you if you wanna move on from me
Just know that I love you and it's shame on me
Nothing left but a little longing in the morning
A little grieving in the evening
You're what I'm dreaming of even when I'm not sleeping

Ache a little more each time I see your face
Hate myself even more for always looking back
Your brown eyes aren't a place that should ever hold such sadness
When I declared my love, I didn't say it for the thrill
I just hope your words were spoken with the same truth
Life breaks you away from me just like I knew it would
Maybe us parting was for the best, despite all the love that's left
You deserve all the happiness and that's all I ever wanted for you
Just hurts to know these feelings won't fade and we'll never change

Couldn't tell you how I feel cause I don't know what you're thinking
Maybe I'm just a simple mistake or a distant memory
A piece of old history that ended in misery
You'll never see me in the way I see you
And you'll never want me in the way I want you
I held onto you so tight, cause I never wanted to set you free
Deep down, I knew life would never wait for you and me

Just know that I love
Just know that I love
Just know that I love you
And it's nothing but shame on me
Just know that I love
Just know that I love
Just know that I love you
And it's nothing but shame on me

Left in the dark and it's more than painful
I feel like we're so far apart in this world
Now you're a stranger, I'm not your girl
And we're nothing like how we used to be
Maybe I'm just stubborn or too proud to admit
That I still need you even if you don't know it

It's shame on me
It's shame on me
It's shame on me

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 7 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Walton on 27/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 27/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 27/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 27/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#16 Posted : 29 January 2014 05:39:14(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Track thirteen is the lively "Don't Care", a song that we believe a lot of die-hard Berry fans will fall head over heels in love with for its large pop influences, bringing a little joy to the overall sound of Diamond in the Rough. While there's often sad undertones in a lot of Berry's lyrics, she always manages to find the light in situations and turns what would usually be a moving ballad into an energetic and uplifting song about letting someone who doesn't care be the wind in her hair. Berry is confident and bold in her vocal delivery, she doesn't sound upset at all about the situation and actually sounds as if she's glad to be moving on from this person. There's a joyful whistle that pops up throughout the song, maybe cleverly added into the track to reflect Nadia's view on the situation she's singing about, as she too doesn't care either to fix the dying relationship. It's a song that pretty much instantly leave its mark, opening with a short guitar intro before those infectious whistles swiftly introduce the song with a melody that will have you nodding your head along to in no time, fading away for the first verse as Nadia's airy vocals pair up with acoustic guitar and dramatic conga drums.

"If you've got a heart with an empty space / And your dreams are filled with memories that can't be erased", Nadia sings softly in the song's pre-chorus, the whistles appearing every now and then but barely audible at this stage. The beat pauses for just a second as she sings the final line "I gave you nothing but my best", before the chorus hits hard with synthesizers and stronger drums, Nadia's voice soaring on top of the beat, the whistles later appearing again at the end of the chorus, taking over the song for just a moment, then vanishing once more. Despite the moving lyrics of the chorus, the whistles hold a playfulness to them that stop the song from ever becoming dark and depressing, clearly Berry set out for this song to be anything but a sad one and she achieves it well with the balance made between the song's music and lyrics.

The drums are the main focus point for a few lines in the middle-eight before distorted synths appear later on, Berry's voice remaining in its soft and elegant tone like in earlier verses, before the final chorus is heard and the track is played out by a short whistled outro to end the song in a joyful manner. Thankfully, "Don't Care" comes at a perfect place on the album's track list and stops things from becoming samey, it's a much needed uptempo and shows that while Berry still loves those heartfelt lyrics, she knows how to make them work in an uplifting, fun song.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"I really love the uplifting feel to this one, after many mid-tempos, I wanted to bring it up a little for the end of the record just so it didn't get too samey and held the attention of the listener. I think it's important that each song has its own identity and place on the album, so I wanted to switch it up slightly to make these final few songs really stand out. As an album, Diamond in the Rough really has a lot to say and I wanted it to make an impact by the end of the record instead of it just drifting away into nothingness. I think I set myself a bigger challenge in that sense by having so many songs on the track list, it's harder to make a great album when there's more of a chance that certain songs will weigh it down, but I really am confident about this body of work.

"Don't Care" is a song about the sudden change in someone, a person who once showed you a great deal of love and affection is now cold and extremely distant. They act as if they don't care and it confuses you a little because you're not sure where you stand with them any more, which I'm sure is a situation a lot of my fans have been in. Sadly, people do change and sometimes it's not for the better, but it's not really a sad song. "I'll let you be the wind in my hair" is a line that pops up twice in the lyrics and it really sums up the whole vibe of the track. It's like, okay, if you're gonna act like that with me then I don't care either, I used to crave for the old days, but now I'll walk free and you can be the wind to guide me. It's quite empowering in that sense, which is why the music is really infectious and lively, the whistles get me every time."

UserPostedImage

"Don't Care"

(Sounds like)

I write songs to tell you how I'm feeling
Now the tabloids tell you how I'm falling
Cause we don't communicate with each other
Used to speak in poetry for only lovers
We've got a history for the museums
Had a love only the movies dare to tell
But if you don't care, don't care
Then I'll let you be the wind in my hair

If you've got a heart with an empty space
And your dreams are filled with memories that can't be erased
At least we gave it our all and nothing less
I gave you nothing but my best

So you can throw your hands up
Say you're emotionally void
With a heart that don't care
But deep down, I know there's something there
Cause on those painful nights
Where I used to do nothing but crave to see your face
How could we walk through the fire
For you to just say that you don't care

We used to live so high, amphetamine
We see each other, but only on covers of magazines
Another hand you're holding, another lifeless night, another sad song
Another day where we just look for a place to belong
Cause when you rest your head and plan the future too early
You're thrown back out on the road for another lonely journey

If you've got a heart with an empty space
And your dreams are filled with memories that can't be erased
At least we gave it our all and nothing less
I gave you nothing but my best

We did it all, just a boy and a girl looking for love
Just a boy and a girl who chased the world above
Well maybe life ain't fair, we ain't the perfect pair
Yet I remember when you said you'd always be there
These days you don't care, don't care
One look in your eyes and heaven's no longer there
So I'll let you be the wind in my hair

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 6 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 29/01/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 29/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 29/01/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 29/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2014 05:31:40(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Just one song away from the end of Berry's lengthy album is "Mixed Signals", and if there's one song on the album that will take the listener by surprise, it's this one. Just when the album mellows out mid-way with some slower, easier on the ears songs, Berry throws us a storming pop song with "Don't Care", before throwing another curve-ball with "Mixed Signals", a thunderous, but strangely catchy gem on the record that features new wave elements over distorted guitars which power over Berry's vocals, almost shouting out the words in some points in the song to try and be heard over the wall of noise. Despite the difference in sound, Berry reveals there's a link in the lyrics between this and previous song "Don't Care", which is why she chose to place them side by side on the record, explaining "it's another song that deals with the changes in someone and struggling to come to terms with that." She said she wanted the end of the album to make an impact and with a song like this stuck at track fourteen, she's doing more than that with the track's explosive music combined with her solid vocals.

Whilst most songs make sure to get to the chorus before the song's climax, "Mixed Signals" is a song that peaks straight off the bat after its short, distorted intro. It keeps that same energy flowing through the song for its entire duration, never winding down for a gentle moment. It's one we imagine requires a lot of energy to sing and will be a tiring song on Berry's set list next month when she starts her Royal Albert Hall shows, but if there's any justice, concert-goers will go wild over this one. There's a slight fuzzy, low quality sound to her vocals as she shouts out under the dominating guitars, "Nothing wrong in feeling a little desperate / But it ain't no good when I'm more than helpless". Clearly Berry has a lot to say in the song and is using the wild, eccentric vibe to the song as her chance to spill out her emotions without going down a safer route. It's almost hard to distinguish the chorus due to the rare changes that run throughout the track, it's not until we hear the singer mention the title of the song that we realise. However, that only works in the song's favour and the messy lack of structure is quite refreshing for the singer.

It's likely to be a song that Berry's fans will either love or hate, they'll either appreciate the fact that she's experimenting with new sounds and styles, or they'll be completely alienated by the change. Those likely to appreciate this song most probably won't even be in Nadia's fan base, but that's not to be considered a bad thing and could win the singer some new fans. It's a risky move at this stage in her career, considering she has a lot to lose after the success of her two previous records, but we think it'll be one that pays off and will only make the public more intrigued to hear Berry's drastic switch in sound compared to Hera.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"This is one that I was really nervous to put on the record, because I think it's one of the most experimental songs I've ever done and I wasn't too sure how people would react to it. But at the end of the day, I've never been afraid of change or taking a risk, so I just went for it because I truly love this song and I had a feeling my fans would be able to appreciate the new direction. 'Mixed Signals' is very similar to 'Don't Care' in terms of its lyrical content which is why I had to pair them up on the album, it's another song that deals with the changes in someone and struggling to come to terms with that. It's quite a feisty sounding song, because you're tired of being messed around and want things to be put straight, so the chorus is very in-your-face and demanding in a way.

When you're going through something like that, your head is pretty fucked up and I wanted the sound of this song to reflect all the questions and confusion and insecurities in my mind. I had to have something that was a little chaotic and messed up, but still a total earworm, I think me and Jared managed to achieve that balance with this song. I think it comes as a surprise on the album too, because you usually expect an album to wind down near the end with something slow, but this is one of the most hard-hitting songs on the whole record, I definitely wanted people to remember this song and I thought it was perfectly placed right near the very end. I love how the vocals are quite low-quality and you have these amazing distorted guitars just powering through the entire song, it sounds incredible to me and I can't wait to perform it."

UserPostedImage

"Mixed Signals"

(Sounds like)

There's more to love than meaningless labels
Pointless names and throughout our changes
You're still the one I think about
But I wish it was you I could live without
I tried and dealt with loneliness dry-eyed
If I cried it'd wash away the rest of my pride
And I'd have nothing left to hide

One minute you're there, the next you're gone
And it's always for a little too long
Nothing wrong in feeling a little desperate
But it ain't no good when I'm more than helpless
You leave me behind and keep running on
Just don't keep stringing me along

And it's funny with the way things switched up
Cause now you're the one giving me mixed signals
If it's a little too hard, flick off all the switches
I don't wanna be forever stuck in isolation
So run away and cut off all communication
If loving me starts to feel like too much of a mission
Burn our bridges, I'll turn off my systems
And you can shut down your signals

It's been a while since the last goodbye
Think we could be repaired, but neither of us have the energy to try
I remember when you had nothing better to do
Heart wide open, and I so easily fell for you
Got me feeling like a cheap hobby you simply grew out of
Never thought you'd change from the person I loved

One minute you're there, the next you're gone
And it's always for a little too long
Nothing wrong in feeling a little desperate
But it ain't no good when I'm more than helpless
You leave me behind and keep running on
Just don't keep stringing me along

Maybe things have changed, I never expected to be your top priority
But I at least hoped that after it all, you'd still be there for me
And that you'd care, but what you can give is barely enough
We drifted apart, you call it tough love
I just never expected it to hurt so bad

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 3 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 30/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2014 05:31:52(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Berry returns to her pop roots for the very final song on Diamond in the Rough to wrap things up, without a deluxe edition to provide extra songs for that lasting impression, this must have been an important song to Nadia for it to be the last thing we hear. When you listen to the lyrics, it's of course not hard to tell that it's yet another personal song to the singer with plenty of meaning. Despite the cheery sound, there's an underlying sadness in the words, but Berry insists in her track commentary that it's a happy song. "I felt like I had everything, something was missing and I wasn't sure what it was at the time. Now I know, and it's made me realise that although I had the beautiful home, it was a broken home, now nothing but an empty space of forgotten hopes," she reveals about the song's meaning. Clearly the kingdom she was living in wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but Berry doesn't let that end the album on a sad note, instead she makes it a celebration of freedom from being weighed down in the past, and it comes across as one of the happiest sounding sounds on the entire album.

The sound to the track differs greatly from the previous song on the track list and shows more diversity and yet another side to Nadia and her music. Although she's been bold and brave enough to take risks on this album, "Build a Kingdom" is fairly familiar territory for her and shows that while we can appreciate a change, it's nice to have other tracks that give her fans the reason as to why they fell in love with her music in the first place. We can guess it'll be a favourite with her fan base and would be a smart single choice with its power pop sound and breathtaking vocals from Berry that are some of the best on the record. It's infectious and feel-good without ever trying too hard to be, an effortless move on her behalf that ends the album on a soaring, but beautiful note. While she's relied on synthesizers on some of the more pop-oriented songs on the record, this one in particular is completely free of them in its powerhouse instrumentation. Berry returns to the piano for this song which runs throughout, best heard in the track's middle eight before the euphoric chorus arrives for its final time.

Nadia proves that there's more to her than meets the eye with Diamond in the Rough and provides a little something for everyone on her fifteen track album. While she decided to play it safe with her last album, Diamond provides plenty of surprises and gives a real insight into what the singer has experienced in the past year, as well as showcasing her talents which are often hidden away behind vocal tricks and dance beats in GirlSpice's music. If you like what you hear, you can pick up the album on February 3rd, and if you're yet to listen, well, Nadia may just shock you this time round.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"We're at the end of the album! Noooo! It's such a bittersweet moment for me, I'm extremely happy that this record I've worked so long on is finally with you guys, but I'm also upset because it's the end of one part of the process, it's hard to let go of your music once you become so close to it. I've let it out into the big bad stone cold world for everyone to form an opinion on it, I'm very protective of my albums, they're my babies! This is an incredibly special song to me and I'd love to put it out there as a single at some point, because I can already picture the video and everything, it's just a really powerful pop song that really hits you the moment you hear it. It felt like the natural end to the album, it felt big and dramatic, but joyful at the same time, like a huge release of all the negative energy that's on a lot of songs on this album. I didn't want to end the album on a dark, dreary ballad or something that wasn't going to make a statement, so I decided to close it off with this.

'Build a Kingdom' is a song very close to my heart that I wrote about basically living in an empty fairytale. It was a very happy period in my life where although I felt like I had everything, something was missing and I wasn't sure what it was at the time. Now I know, and it's made me realise that although I had the beautiful home, it was a broken home, now nothing but an empty space of forgotten hopes. I felt alone and had all these material things, when what I really needed was my friends and family. The line 'Maybe we shoulda opened the gates' is me confessing that I became too closed off from people because I was so focused on being happy, I regret that a lot. So it's really a celebration of my freedom, breaking away from suffocation and being reunited with people I didn't spend enough time with before. Some may consider this sad, I guess it's bittersweet, but I do think it's a happy song, because I lost something and gained something else that mattered to me, those that I love."

UserPostedImage

"Build a Kingdom"

(Sounds like)

Turned away from hell and never looked back
Let's celebrate our love in the wide open
I was away from all I ever knew, but I had you
And it felt like we were on the edge of the earth
Not a sound heard, just the flowing of a lonesome river
Drifting on by as the days just faded, faded

Maybe I fell a little too quick and just couldn't get back up
Maybe I was hunting for happiness just a little too hard
And I squeezed so tight until it crumbled away
Right out of my hand like grains of sand in the wind
My dreams are out of sight, but never out of mind

We can bond and we can build a kingdom for two
But if you've got a broken heart, you've got a broken home too
We can leave everything behind and say that we'll forever be fine
Won't need anyone else as long as I get to call you mine
Cause we've got each other and we won't need a soul
And darlin', you could make this empty heart who-o-o-ole
Or you could just make me feel alone

If you're hiding away, then I'll duck for cover too
And if you're running, then I'll follow behind you
Through the fires of hell and halos of heaven
Through the good and bad, we'll find the cure to depression
Maybe the silent outback was the secret weapon
Guess I longed for a little chaos in the middle of perfection

Maybe I fell a little too quick and just couldn't get back up
Maybe I was hunting for happiness just a little too hard
And I squeezed so tight until it crumbled away
Right out of my hand like grains of sand in the wind
My dreams are out of sight, but never out of mind

Shoulda known looking for forever ain't a race
I turned away from familiar faces for quiet places
Everything I once knew replaced with something new
A kingdom for just us two, just us two
Maybe we were hiding from everything we feared
To let go of the wheel and let someone else steer
Maybe we shoulda opened the gates
And let the world decide our fate

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 6 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 30/01/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 30/01/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 30/01/2014(UTC), erich hess on 31/01/2014(UTC), C4AJoh on 02/02/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 04/02/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#19 Posted : 30 January 2014 06:48:44(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: Wonderful job on this entire album rp, some really great lyrics here :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 30/01/2014(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#20 Posted : 30 January 2014 07:00:50(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Wonderful job on this entire album rp, some really great lyrics here :)

OOC: Thank you so much, means a lot! :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry