logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2014 06:55:04(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Single : #Concussion
Artist : Lotus
Release Date : February 16th, 2014
Genre : Hip Hop
Label : Permanent Reminder
Written by : Sarojini Lui
Produced by : NinaT
Length : 1:24

#Concussion is a song by Chinese-American recording artist Sarojini "Lotus" Lui released worldwide on February 16, 2014 . The track is a hip hop song , and was produced by NinaT ; it's lyrics impersonate fellow artists in the industry that Lotus likes to call "ringtone rappers" as well as attacks and picks the scabs of their recent downfalls , being their career's "concussion" and ultimately daring them to sleep on her . #Concussion received generally favorable reviews from music critics , who complimented its overall production and lyrical content which ironically managed to outdo a lot of the "ringtone raps" the rap industry has began to familiarize itself with as of late .

After post-poning her album's release date December 22nd just last year , Lotus had decided to head back in the studio to complete the album she had previously mistaken for being finished . Not much has been heard from Lotus musically during this time other than her freestyle A Lil' Too Cocky that went viral . Now she is officially releasing her first single in 2014 and her first single for #SarojiniSunday . When asked about the single and it's inspiration behind it , Lotus answered :

" Well , after recording and writing a lot of songs that talked about my past life and stunting on all the people who doubted me , I just felt like going in the studio and having some fun this third time around . I know that my true fans appreciate all of my music but I wanted to give them something more on this album than me just bitching all the damn time so when I started recording more songs , I let loose a little bit . I remember going in the studio one day in the best mood . I just started joking around and told Nina to drop a beat . Next thing you know I was in the studio freestyling ... but like , ringtone rapper style . [Laughs] I promise my accent changed 85 times during that track . It was just messy . Half of it didn't even make sense . Just a lot of yelling and basic bars . Then there was this part where out of nowhere I said something like 'This is evidently not the Beatles , so don't put this shit in reverse .' and everybody in the studio busted out in tears because I was just saying some of the randomest shit . Even I admitted I didn't even know what I was saying ... but it rhymed . And that became my ringtone rapper motto , #ItRhymed . It's also the name of the track . After that I just thought it would be a good idea to have a section of my album where I just made fun of ringtone rappers . You know , imitating them and showing them that I could to it too ... and better . That's where #Concussion came from . Though I put a few off-bars in it , it turned out to be the best freestyle from the bunch . "

#Concussion is a hip hop song ; it commences with "a persistent piano thump and a message in a deep voice included in the intro similar to that in the bridge of her hit single Forgotten Ceremony" , after which Lotus begins rapping about taking over the rapper's career by stealing their fans and even airplay (Seeing how she holds a few records on the airplay charts) . Her verses highlight many topics from her global celebrity status and even poking fun at the name 'Li Lang and Lo Lang' with the lines , rhyming it with Lo Mein , something people on Twitter and including celebrities have been poking fun at . With the very same line |He said I taste like Kung Pao but he snack on me like Lo Mein| she also references to Lana Del Rey's infamous line |My pussy taste like Pepsi-Cola| , which she has previously tweeted about finding hysterical and "messy" .

UserPostedImage
One of Lotus' tweets about Lana Del Rey's Cola song .

#Concussion received generally favorable reviews from music critics . Rob Markman from MTV News appluaded the single saying "Lotus cleverly found the ultimate way to burn every ringtone rapper ever known" , saying , "what better way to kill a career than with it's very own medicine ?" and later joking , "and not with that CVS bullcrap . No , we're talking full on , 'get a prescription from your doctor first' , under the table medicine ." TheFader.com complimented that "this lyrically life threatening Lotus we are just being introduced to in 2014 is byfar more minatory to the 'status-quo' of the rap industry than anything we've seen" with her earlier projects being notable for having more of an inspirational kick to them . Many critics pointed out how the freestyle reminded them of her last freestyle A Lil' Too Cocky fused with her title track single Forgotten Ceremony which also brought many to wondering if the single was another jab at rapper Sonyae . While Lotus has assured everyone via Twitter that #Concussion is "just a threat to all of the ringtone rappers in general . Nothing personally directed to anyone in the biz" , one could only think the opposite with references to things like New York and plastic surgery .

[Intro]
Yeah , just a concussion .. that's all . Nothing to see here .
They probably won't remember your name 10 years from now but it's nothing ... really .

[Verse 1]
True story , making history
Breaking records selling records , erasing his story
I meant her glory , them niggas turnt for me
Heard yo song , turned the station , explain that for me
Got yo stans clapping for me , it's a wrap for thee
He was so stoked to run into me , lil homie started quoting my raps to me
Damn , the irrelevancy ! They know all about me on yo territory
Yea I was in New York the other day , they was blasting my shit on Queens
No really , who is the queen ? Who is deemed king ?
Point me in the direction of the real niggas that put you over me
All of the hoodlums respect me , now what about you ?
Got them screaming my name from Shanghai to Malibu
We ain't playing no games , only bitches to remain is Li and Lo Lang
He said I taste like Kung Pao but he snack on me like Lo Mein
He said why fuck with the plastic when all me all his ?
Killing careers like it's nothing ... personal -- all biz
You want me to swallow my pride ? Bitch , you can swallow my jizz
Yea , you can choke on this , choke on these rhymes
'Cause I know you'll attempt to record a track like this , but we both know you can't copy I
But you can try , I'll just let you dream on
'Cause it's yo' damn fault if you still think I'm something to sleep on

Edited by user 13 April 2014 13:09:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 18/02/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 18/02/2014(UTC), erich hess on 18/02/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 18/02/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 18/02/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 18/02/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 18/02/2014(UTC), Walton on 18/02/2014(UTC), DistortedAudio on 18/02/2014(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2014 07:02:37(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17909 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
Erica: nina,Chloe and myself loooove to sing along with this. Sure,each time kills hip hop a little more,but we have fun.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 2 users thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 18/02/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 18/02/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2014 07:07:31(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Josh Isaakson: If you don't believe Lana Del Rey tastes like Pepsi....I'm willing to take one for the team. I'll try it and report back. I'm that much of a nice guy ;)

Ooc: Nice work as always. Your raps are always totally on point :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
kandii on 18/02/2014(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2014 11:48:59(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Liyah: "We ain't playing no games , only bitches to remain is Li and Lo Lang
He said I taste like Kung Pao but he snack on me like Lo Mein"

Yes, say that. Actually, there's so many good lines, shit, this is a straight killa! You don't even need 3:00 minutes, you be discombobulating bitches careers in 84 seconds, respect!

OOC: Love lol, made me laugh.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 18/02/2014(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2014 10:58:47(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: nina,Chloe and myself loooove to sing along with this. Sure,each time kills hip hop a little more,but we have fun.

Lotus ; See , that's the spirit ! The thing about my music is there's never EVER anything wrong with promoting it ;)

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Josh Isaakson: If you don't believe Lana Del Rey tastes like Pepsi....I'm willing to take one for the team. I'll try it and report back. I'm that much of a nice guy ;)

Ooc: Nice work as always. Your raps are always totally on point :)

Lotus : Initially , I wouldn't want anyone to get caught in a situation where they ate bad vajayjay buuuut , if you insist ...

OOC : Thank you , Scott ! :)

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Liyah: "We ain't playing no games , only bitches to remain is Li and Lo Lang
He said I taste like Kung Pao but he snack on me like Lo Mein"

Yes, say that. Actually, there's so many good lines, shit, this is a straight killa! You don't even need 3:00 minutes, you be discombobulating bitches careers in 84 seconds, respect!

OOC: Love lol, made me laugh.

Lotus : Bahaha ! This is why I love you on so many levels ! Thank you so much boo ! Now when are you gonna jump in this studio with me ? Forgotten Ceremony wont be complete without Li Lang ;P

OOC : Lol , thanks !

thanks 2 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 21/02/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 21/02/2014(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2014 13:07:59(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
Track : #Concussion (Full version)
Artist : Lotus
Leaked : April 12th, 2014
Genre : Hip Hop
Written by : Sarojini Lui
Produced by : NinaT
Length : 2:07

[Intro]
Yeah , just a concussion .. that's all . Nothing to see here .
They probably won't remember your name 10 years from now but it's nothing ... really .

[Verse 1]
True story , making history
Breaking records selling records , erasing his story
I meant her glory , them niggas turnt for me
Heard yo song , turned the station , explain that for me
Got yo stans clapping for me , it's a wrap for thee
He was so stoked to run into me , lil homie started quoting my raps to me
Damn , the irrelevancy ! They know all about me on yo territory
Yea I was in New York the other day , they was blasting my shit on Queens
No really , who is the queen ? Who is deemed king ?
Point me in the direction of the real niggas that put you over me
All of the hoodlums respect me , now what about you ?
Got them screaming my name from Shanghai to Malibu
We ain't playing no games , only bitches to remain is Li and Lo Lang
He said I taste like Kung Pao but he snack on me like Lo Mein
He said why fuck with the plastic when all me all his ?
Killing careers like it's nothing ... personal -- all biz
You want me to swallow my pride ? Bitch , you can swallow my jizz
Yea , you can choke on this , choke on these rhymes
'Cause I know you'll attempt to record a track like this , but we both know you can't copy I
But you can try , I'll just let you dream on
'Cause it's yo' damn fault if you still think I'm something to sleep on

[Verse 2]
Yea , I see you tryin real hard
Lotus make a hit and you take it to the heart , head
Yea , yea , I see you tryna stack that bread
Be grateful that even though I'm the breadwinner , I left crumbs for you roaches
Gotta do the most so you keep the gimmicks posted
You thought you was going ham , girl , don't get roasted
A reef for your coffin , and look ! I got you the good roses !
Your forgotten ceremony and look who's hosting !
Tryna , tryna say these are just my 15 minutes as if you were gonna last for more than 10
Bitch use ya head
Head , head , maybe you should try giving out free blowjobs instead
Pussy free zone , this is where we do business
Best believe there's heat in the kitchen
Wouldn't want you to sweat out your weave or melt wax
This shit is just too real for the barbies , so I'm putting y'all out of ya misery ,
NO ANOMALIES
I AM THE ONLY NOMINEE , FUCK A MONARCHY ,
THIS IS THE MONOCRACY OF THE CENTURY
I let y'all keep the illusion of a democracy , 'cause really , I've just been waiting for you niggas to cross me

Edited by user 13 April 2014 13:16:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 13/04/2014(UTC), erich hess on 13/04/2014(UTC)