logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2014 02:46:46(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
French eccentric debuts new sound in return to solo work

UserPostedImage

Not known for being the most accessible or identifiable artists, unique Frenchman Florian LeFevre turned the music world on its head earlier in 2014, when he released his debut single, The 5am Conundrum. Previously known more for his temper, his lack of social skills and his seeming disdain for the very people he performed for, the guitarist and vocalist released a track that sent shockwaves through the music industry, with the alt-rock song hitting number one on a number of charts as well as scooping the Chaos Awards for Single of the Year.

Since his unexpected rise to fame, the response from LeFevre has been somewhat predictable - disappearing into himself rather than embracing the fame and coming back strong with a string of singles that would help to strengthen his star power and push him forth as a real powerhouse in music. In fact, far from capitalising, the difficult and eccentric Frenchman has decided to completely scrap the sound that brought him such immediate success, instead exploring a brand new style and tone that comes from his own exploration of music across the USA in recent months. Gone are the polished alt-rock stylings that flooded airwaves in the early spring of this year, replaced with a raw bluesy feel, echoing, dark and atmospheric in style, frantic in execution in A Study Of Life and Death in the 21st Century as Perpetuated by Greed and Hunger.

For Florian, this is an age of growth and a journey, a new era that sets apart his latest works from those that he tackled early in his career. Whereas his earlier pieces were presented in the form of a multi-layered singularity, A Study Of Life and Death in the 21st Century as Perpetuated by Greed and Hunger is recorded in one sitting, one lone take, with LeFevre playing guitar and vocals while his unnamed drummer performs in the same room. LeFevre believes that the single recording allows the emotion of the music to flow more freely, and allows the listener the chance to experience the very essence and lifeblood of what the music was at that moment in time, without any tinkering, and with no go-overs.

As modern rock music goes, A Study Of Life and Death in the 21st Century as Perpetuated by Greed and Hunger is a different piece from what we're generally used to. But when we're dealing with such an off the wall character as Florian LeFevre, it's almost what we come to expect. Musically, it's as tight and impressive as we would come to expect from someone like Florian. It doesn't need to be the best piece in the world, and it probably isn't - but when it's delivered in such a unique package, and with such a strong background story, it almost transcends traditional critique. Conceptually, it's ambitious, dark and glorious, offering a wonderful insight into the current era of Florian LeFevre's constantly firing brain. In terms of the sound, it's hard hitting, moody, meandering and with a fantastically massive chorus that just explodes out of nowhere time and again, bursting free from the more laid back verses. It's dirty, filthy, muddy and somehow fantastically unique.

This is an artist that is not interested in playing by the rules of the industry, and few pieces of music will show his refusal to conform quite like this bluesy masterpiece. The constraints of the modern industry go out the window as he plays with the boundaries of music and invites us into his studio to enjoy the creations, the spills from his own mind. Once again, it's time to open a bottle of red and sit back and enjoy the eccentric wonder that is Florian LeFevre.

Florian says: "The medium is the message. When Marshall McLuhan said this, he was right in execution and wrong in theory. When he said this, he meant that the medium - television in his case - was and is more important than anything that will ever be seen on TV. When I say it, I mean that the medium - music - is merely the vessel of communication. The term "musician" is one that I greatly despise. For myself, I am an artist and not a musician. Music is merely the mode that I choose to present my art. Would you refer to Renoir as merely a painter? I find the lack of distinction between musician and artist to be somewhat disrespectful, and it's a barrier I would like to break.

"As an artist, I have spent much of the last few months immersing myself in the sort of styles of this form I may not have explored in the past. My early works were distinctly European and polished. It was the nature of where I was at the time, both geographically and mentally. But the last few months have allowed me to explore a different feel. Since the end of this prison show, I have spent some time in New York city, presenting my work as a live show time and again. But I have also used my time to explore new genres. I spent some time in Missouri, where I was introduced more to the blues, a styling that I had up until that point under appreciated. I have used those influences gained by living in New York and amongst blues artists elsewhere to forge this new blues-rock style for my current exhibit, for that is what this is. Look at it less as a single and more as a single piece from what will be a larger collection. Open your ears and your eyes.

"If I could use one word to describe this track...it would be "sex". Sex is everything. Everything is sex.

"The progressive period of Florian LeFevre is dead. Welcome the blues era."

UserPostedImage

Artist: Florian LeFevre
Title: A Study Of Life and Death in the 21st Century as Perpetuated by Greed and Hunger
Genre: Blues-rock
Length: 3:37
Written by: Florian LeFevre
Recorded: New York, NY, USA
Album: Exhibiting the Works of Florian LeFevre - Paris, France (EP)
Label: Florian

Sounds like:

How did it look when I came back to life and shocked you
A knife in the back
I tore your skin and drove through
Takin' life for me, drink it all from you

You shook the life out of me
And took a shot at my throne honey
So don't free what I've caught
Your heaven's never bespoke for you
I got a knife full of life and a crypt with your name on it
And a shard through my heart, my blood beats alone for the money

I never said when
No warnings ever issued then
You fell to the floor
And washed away regrets within

And I'll fall for you
When you swore to me
That these promises we made
Were worth so much fuckin' more than me

Now your blood starts to flow
And I'll refuse to let go
You'll die by my hand

UserPostedImage
thanks 8 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 02/12/2014(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/12/2014(UTC), erich hess on 02/12/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 02/12/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 02/12/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/12/2014(UTC), mebeme101 on 06/12/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 06/12/2014(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2014 03:09:48(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
Erich: if tom waits was moody and French...well,French anyways. I think the moody part comes with being French. This cat knows what he is doing and we love him for it.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
genocidal king on 02/12/2014(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2014 04:53:42(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
Adele: Hooray! New music from Florian! :) Although this is much different than what I had expected. This is very... dark. Not that I don't love it, bien-aimé. Of course, I do. It is a good kind of different. But you've always been a good kind of different. :)
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
genocidal king on 02/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2014 08:25:19(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: if tom waits was moody and French...well,French anyways. I think the moody part comes with being French. This cat knows what he is doing and we love him for it.

Florian: Tom Waits and I would be kindred spirits. His seedy characters would make fantastic subjects in my own mind. He is a good man. As am I. You have impeccable taste.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 02/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2014 22:48:39(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: snap_itshannah Go to Quoted Post
Adele: Hooray! New music from Florian! :) Although this is much different than what I had expected. This is very... dark. Not that I don't love it, bien-aimé. Of course, I do. It is a good kind of different. But you've always been a good kind of different. :)

Florian: Bonjour and merci, Adele! I am more than happy you find it to be different. My aim, difficult as I am, is to make my music as challenging as possible. I don't want it to be easy to listen to. I want people to have to work to be a fan of Florian LeFevre. I adapt, and they must also adapt.
UserPostedImage
Offline erich hess  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2014 23:32:52(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17920 time(s) in 10413 post(s)
Erich: I'd be lying if I said you didn't make me blush like a schoolgirl. Thanks.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
genocidal king on 03/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2014 08:48:14(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: I'd be lying if I said you didn't make me blush like a schoolgirl. Thanks.

Florian: You know we French, more charming than the English and not modest enough to pretend otherwise.
UserPostedImage
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2014 21:37:36(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Ooc: Amazing work :)

Hayden: I love everything about this track, way to show people how to really be about the music and not about success. It's a nice continuation from your last track and I'm all prepped for a full body of work from you. I commend you. But good luck fitting this on iTunes.

Edited by user 06 December 2014 03:46:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
genocidal king on 05/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#9 Posted : 06 December 2014 03:32:17(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Ooc: Thanking ye very much, love.

Florian: Thank you, I'm glad someone got the sentiment behind the art and the whole concept. I'm happy you enjoyed it for the right reasons. Merci.

Edited by user 06 December 2014 03:32:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
RoseJapanFan on 06/12/2014(UTC)
Offline mebeme101  
#10 Posted : 06 December 2014 05:29:16(UTC)
mebeme101

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5703 time(s) in 2512 post(s)
Alex: Well if it isn't my favorite bed burning French hipster to this song is honestly great love that dark sound you got going here and the lyrics are great as well here's hoping you have a bunch of success with this without going mainstream
My Acts

Layla Sanchez|AJ|Brandon Grey|PRÓXIMO|Carmen V|SZ|DREAM

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked mebeme101 for this useful post.
genocidal king on 06/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#11 Posted : 11 December 2014 19:57:50(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: mebeme101 Go to Quoted Post
Alex: Well if it isn't my favorite bed burning French hipster to this song is honestly great love that dark sound you got going here and the lyrics are great as well here's hoping you have a bunch of success with this without going mainstream

Florian: Ah yes, I had forgot about this prison thing! Hello, Frenchy ;) And thank you!
UserPostedImage
mebeme101 on 17/12/2014(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#12 Posted : 11 December 2014 22:25:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19129 time(s) in 7594 post(s)
OOC: Excellent work as always. Florian is a very interesting character and I find myself more intrigued with every release. Great work :)

Oscar: When I read that you were changing things up slightly, I was a tad worried. It certainly wasn't because I doubt your abilities as an artist, far from it. I simply adored The 5 am Conundrum and thought that it was a sound that suited you rather well. This new track just blew me away though and I'm glad you ventured into the blues-rock style. I totally agree with you, you are an artist and not a musician and I can honestly say I am an avid fan of your artistry. Excellent track.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
genocidal king on 11/12/2014(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#13 Posted : 17 December 2014 05:36:59(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Excellent work as always. Florian is a very interesting character and I find myself more intrigued with every release. Great work :)

Oscar: When I read that you were changing things up slightly, I was a tad worried. It certainly wasn't because I doubt your abilities as an artist, far from it. I simply adored The 5 am Conundrum and thought that it was a sound that suited you rather well. This new track just blew me away though and I'm glad you ventured into the blues-rock style. I totally agree with you, you are an artist and not a musician and I can honestly say I am an avid fan of your artistry. Excellent track.

OOC: Thanks :) I find him strange to write as, but I enjoy him because he's so weird and different.

Florian: Unfortunately for people who are fans of mine. "Fans", if such a thing exists, I will never be able to do the same release twice, because no matter what, my mind just wants to deviate from what it has known before and change to something new. I think my mind is an asshole, but then I am an asshole too, so we work well together. Thank you.
UserPostedImage