logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Clampdown  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2014 11:52:59(UTC)
Clampdown

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 398 post(s)

UserPostedImage

Coast 2 Coast Music Review:
Tisha Jackson's 25 reviewed by Leon Peralta

UserPostedImage

Hey guys! My name is Leon Peralta, and this is the first review for Coast 2 Coast Music. Before I get into the review, I feel like I should introduce myself properly. Like I said, my name is Leon Peralta, I'm 23, and I live in Portland, Oregon. So that's that, and now I feel like I need to tell you guys about the site. There will be no schedule for reviews, I'll just post them when I finish them. And for the time being, I'm the only writer so things will go slower. But I'm not going to finish the reviews until they're what I see in my head. So that being said, let's get on with the review. I am reviewing 25 by rap legend Tisha Jackson. Yeah, yeah, this is a hipster website and I shouldn't review mainstream stuff but here's my take on it: obscurity doesn't make music good so it's not just going to be obscure music, I want to do mainstream stuff too because who knows, maybe you guys will like it. So I picked it up on Monday at Target and the first thing I noticed was the aesthetic, it's very simple but the 25 is a bright pink so it stands out and I like that. I buy it, then I take it home and the CD looks exactly like the album cover which I thought was kind of neat because a lot of labels don't put art on the CD and it really sucks because it definitely adds to the experience.

The first song on the album is "Tourist." It's about Tisha, falling in love with a French tourist. Which is really fucking cheesy, and I don't like the lyrics a whole lot but that's a problem I have with all rap and pop. Then there's the beat, it's very catchy and it was very memorable and her voice is very soft in this song, it almost gave me an ASMR, or a head orgasm for you non-sciency types. Although I give it credit for giving me a head orgasm, it doesn't sound like an opening track, it really doesn't so it just feels weird to associate it as an opening track. Overall, I'd rate Tourist at a seven.

On to the next song which is called "Countdown." Countdown is an EDM song with a huge reggae and soul vibe. It's lyrics are a lot better than Tourist's, this time being about something almost everyone has been through, doing drugs or getting plastered to forget your lover. The unfortunate thing is that it lacks in it's beat. It just has too much of a typical Top 40 sound but it does have a better production than most EDM songs. In fact, the first thing I noticed about it was the production. I am very impressed with the production, it has a very full sound so kudos to the producers. I would give this song an eight.

The third track is a trap (fuckkkk) song called "Rehab" about Tisha poking fun at her old boyfriend by talking about her addiction (her new boyfriend.) It's a very clever allusion and I think it's one of the most cleverly written song on the album and the production is very full and I found myself getting into this song and Drew Westbrook's raps have a very strong flow as well. Also, you can't go wrong with an 808. I feel like this would have been a stronger track if it and Tourist were switched around and this was the opening track. Nevertheless, still a great song and I would rate it at a nine.

The next track on 25 is called A$$... Yeah... A$$... I knew I was going to have fun with this one. It's another trap song except this one actually kind of sucks. I did not like it at all, the production for this one was dry and the lyrics were obnoxious and overly smutty. There's not really a whole lot I can say about this one except don't make a song about asses, you've heard Baby Got Back, you know what happens. I would rate this song at a three because it does have some creative verses in it.

The next song comes in to clean up the mess that A$$ made, it's called Thugstyle and it has a 90's Hip Hop influence which I love and I ended up repeating this song because I liked it. And I especially like how it's supposed to be an anthem to women who love a tough and bad ass man because these days, those kinds of men are seen as abusive but that's not true. And the lyrics are very creative and they have a very smooth flow, almost like a good cigarette. It is a very powerful track and I would love to hear this song live. This song is a great song and I would give it a ten simply because I played it twice.

I refuse is the next song on the album and it's an alternative R&B track about regretting being in a relationship which is something I can relate to so I think I got into this track more than if it wasn't about that. It has a slow tempo and a pretty good production, it almost reminds me of Outkast's Ms.Jackson. However, I don't like the vocals on this track, they have a small amount of autotune and some of the verses feel out of place. So all in all, I think the production makes up for the bad vocals so I'd give it an seven.

I've never been a one for slow ballads, especially on the top forty spectrum so this one was a boring song to listen to. It's called Criminal and it's about letting go. It's not the strongest track on the album but it's better than A$$. It has a chill out production but it's still so hard to listen to but the key signature doesn't seem to fit it at all. I managed to get through the whole song but I felt like giving up on the review. I do however applaud the writers, I do like the lyrics a lot and especially at the chorus.

The next song is a pop-rock/soft-rock track called Elope. It's a cute song with a cute meaning about finding true love and never letting go. I really like Tisha's voice on this on and how it's not a rap song and it's more of an indie pop song. I wasn't expecting that at all. So it was a nice break from rap. I love the lyrics and I think it'll be a love song that could stick. I also think that the song is very catchy, I noticed I was bobbing my head to the song as well. So I would give this song a nine.

So we're nine tracks in now and the ninth wonder of this album is a song called "Top" and it features phenomenal rapper, Kidd Amaze. Already, I'm thinking this song is going to be great. You have two greats doing a song together, what could go wrong? Oh, I know. Your sex life! Yeahhhh, I don't want to know what goes on in Tisha Jackson's bedroom and the whole song made me feel pretty awkward. It did have a unique production, I expected it to be a dry rap song but I was impressed with the production, it did stick with me. Kidd Amaze's rapping did make me feel better about this song but I would still give it a five.

The final track on this album, is Ferriswheel. I'm waiting for this epic climax to the album but it unfortunately meets me halfway. I do really like this song but I feel like it could have been so much more like Tisha could have done a lot more with this song. But it's such a hipster hop song and it's right up my alley. Her flow is great and the raps are great to, it's the kind of song I would blaze to, definitely. It has a cool production and it is one of the best songs so I suppose that it's a good ending to the album.

All in all, Tisha Jackson's 25 to me, is a great album but it has it's flaws. These might just be me being a nitpicky hipster but it's the way I feel about it. I think it will be an album I listen to again eventually but I'm not a huge pop fan so the moment would have to be just right. I think that her album could be described as a perfect relationship. You have smooth spots and great moments, but then you have a huge rough patch but in the end, you climb back out. The song is pretty much all about love so it could be possible that this is a theme. Overall, Tisha Jackson's 25 gets an eight from me and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to branch out into pop and rap.

25: 8/10

Edited by user 31 May 2016 06:53:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:
[b]Leon Peralta - Main writer for Coast 2 Coast Music

thanks 10 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 13/10/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 13/10/2014(UTC), erich hess on 13/10/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 13/10/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 13/10/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 14/10/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 16/10/2014(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 20/10/2014(UTC), kandii on 22/10/2014(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 10/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2014 07:06:46(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Great review here, hopefully you can do more of these! It was a great read :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2014 23:40:09(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
ooc: Really great and well written review! You should definitely post more reviews if u get the chance, it is always great to see something in depth from another perspective!
Offline Clampdown  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2014 12:15:13(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Leon Peralta reviews three new singles: Payton's Bend Over Miss, Evalyn Dixon's Bad To The Bone, and Read Hard's Baking Brad

Hey, everyone! It's me again, this time, I will be reviewing three new singles from Payton, Evalyn Dixon, and Read Hard! I started reviewing Bend Over Miss and I noticed my review was SUPER short! To remedy this, I decided to add two other reviews as well. It's a new idea and I like the concept of it so I might just stick to it.

Payton: Bend Over Miss

UserPostedImage

Wow... What to say about this one. This song was quite the stir when I started this review, either people hated it, or they liked it. I'm personally not a fan, I don't like the lyrics at all. Not because they're about fucking your teacher, but because he's under the age of consent and it rubs me the wrong way. I said this on Twitter and I'll say again: I feel like the song is like a drunk old homeless guy you've never met talking to you on a bus about the last time he had sex twenty years ago. Like, everyone would be disgusted by this but because Payton is a teenager and because people think he's attractive, he can get away with it. But in my mind, it's no different. Too much information, Payton. Way too much. Another beef I have with it is that it sounds so obnoxious and poppy and I had trouble getting through the whole thing. I feel like it could have done better as more of a hardcore rap song. So tl;dr: I personally don't like this song, I think it's obnoxious, and Payton is getting more credit than he deserves.

Evalyn Dixon: Bad To The Bone

UserPostedImage

This one is not a piece of shit like George Thorogood's Bad To The Bone. This is surprisingly a pretty good song. It's very new wavey, almost like Tom-Tom Club or Depeche Mode and unfortunately, the critics have just been mixed about it. A lot of people say she didn't take any risks with it but I think it's perfect just the way it is and I think it absolutely has potential to be a hit single. The chorus is literally made to be an anthem song and I think Dixon could absolutely light up a crowd with it, especially if she used it as an opener. I also really like how parts of the song shift from an electronica sound to an indie sound, it's not easy to shift vocal styles but it shows that Dixon has a lot of control with her voice and she absolutely knows what she's doing. To wrap things up, Bad To The Bone is a song I hope stays around for a long time and I think that Evalyn Dixon wrote a very successful song and while her lyrics are a little lacking and I feel like they could have been expanded upon, I believe this is a great song with tons of potential.

Read Hards: Baking Brad

UserPostedImage

I couldn't find album art so here's this to take it's place. :)

I don't know a whole lot about this band but I have a friend who's pretty in to them who wanted me to review them. So they came out with a song called "Baking Brad" Ha, Breaking Bad pun, I see what you did there. Anyway, I though this song was about getting a guy baked. I mean, that makes total sense, they're punk. Nope, this is literally about baking, like cakes and cookies and shit. I died listening to it, I actually like it more for its lyrics which is a rare thing for music. I feel like when you listen to Read Hards, you listen to them for their lyrics because they're so outrageous. Though don't get me wrong, I love their instrumentals but they're lyrics are where it's at. So I don't really know much about the band so I can't really talk much more about them so I guess that this is the end of the review. Thanks for reading this everyone. Peace!
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 6 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 23/10/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 23/10/2014(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 23/10/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/10/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 26/11/2014(UTC), kandii on 17/03/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2014 07:17:21(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

Coast 2 Coast Music: New Artists
Article by Leon Peralta

Hey guys! Today, I'm doing something different. I'm doing an article, not a review, an article, about new artists. Again, I'm trying new things with Coast 2 Coast. I can do that, dammit. Anyway, the first artist I want to talk about is a rising rapper who goes by the name King Taz. I haven't heard much from the upcoming rapper but I just heard his new single "New Day." I'm not going to get into a review of it so I'm just going to say this: I liked it, I liked the meaning, I liked the production, it was a pretty good song. I think he has a lot of potential and I think he'll make it. I also did an interview with King Taz. Here it is:

King Taz:

What's your name, how old are you, and how long have you been writing music?

My Name is Austin Vartez im 22 yo and I have been writing for 9 years

Who are your influences?

My influences are Twista,Buster rhyme,and anybody that sings reggae

How did you acquire the name "King Taz?"

I got the name King Taz from my friend and we where just spit balling and he said King Taz

Being a rapper, it's hard to stick out from all the other rappers. How do you differentiate yourself from bigger rappers, such as say, Kidd Amaze or Big Stacks?

I try to be more loose, funny, and catchy with my verse

Have you played any shows?

I have not played any shows

Do you plan on playing any shows?

For now I would just do award shows but when I think I have great not good great music That's when or if it heats up outside which ever comes first.

Do you have any plans on touring?

IDK on touring maybe when one of my song is hit but I really don't know.

Who do want to collaborate with in the near future?

I would like to collab with anybody to tell you the truth That's number one goal on my list

Any plans on a mixtape?

I might do one if I'm in the mood

On a scale of one to ten, how much did this interview suck?

I'd say about three.

House music has always been a hit and miss genre, mostly miss. But, nevertheless, I'm always willing to let it to come crawling back to me, and once again I'm talking about it. The group I'm talking about is house duo, Groove in Downtown featuring Drake Antonhy Zaslavsky, also know as mISTER_b, and Nate Alexander who is apparently Gia Rose Hilton's brother. Music is supposed to come out November 29th and although I'm skeptical about actually liking it, I am going to give it a solid listen. I did manage to get an interview with the two and here's what they had to say.

Groove in Downtown:

Names, ages, and what genre of music do you play?

Drake: My name is Drake best known as mISTER_b , I’m 24 years old. We don’t have a certain genre to be classified, but if you want to say it, we play underground electronic music with some hip hop influences.

Nathan: My name is Nathan Alexander, I'm twenty-two years of age, and to fully claim what Drake has said, I do not classify with any specific genre.

You have a unique name, how did you get your name?

Drake: The name belongs to a party that used to happen on the underground scene of NY when I was a struggling DJ. The party was called Groove in Downtown and it used to bring streets artists. The concept was about it, the underground scene of music and clubs of a metropolis like NYC, so we borrow the name. Well I don’t know if this party still happens, but whatever.

In the electronic scene, there are three kinds of people: people in the gangster cliques, teen girls, and hardcore drug-addicted ravers. Lout of those three, who do you think your music would appeal to most?

Drake: I don’t like these stereotypes. I don’t believe in stereotypes. I rather like to think that there are people who like electronic music in general, some of them use drugs others don’t and that’s it. Critics and Media always like to separate people I ways that they can stereotype the pop culture and I don’t like to think that way.

Nathan: I would say we are none of the above. We are simply two men who enjoy electronic music. Neither of us are on drugs, or teen girls, and most certainly not any type of gang affiliation either. That would be silly.

Which one of the three groups do you think would be the most fun to play a show to?

Drake: Our music is for everyone who enjoys low BPMs and bass and some hip hop vocals. If you like one of these things, then you might check our album.

[/b]You get the opportunity to tour with whoever you want, who do you tour with?

Drake: I have a long list of people who I toured with and would like to tour with. It’d be hard to say everyone, but mostly I’m touring right as mISTER_b and whoever wants to appear and join me in the cabin, is welcomed.

Nathan: Agreed, I have never quite toured before but my wife has. She has always talked about enjoying it and it looks like a rather fun experience. I'm a friendly man so I would enjoy touring with anyone. Perhaps we could discuss some global issues or converse about wildlife as well.

What is your goal with this project?

Drake: show a different side of my work as a producer. I love the main part of my work, I really do. But I can go in a separate way and s something edgy and different, I like to have this perception of my talent. And it keeps me fresh and updated. I think everything you do that’s different from your main work, ended up influencing your main work. I’m working slowly on mISTER_b’s second record and I have that perception. Also writing music with Nate changed my lyric styles. So I’m really happy and excited about this project. What we have it’s really something cool and high class.

Can we expect an album anytime soon?

Drake: The single comes out November 29th and the album comes out in January, I just can’t say the date yet because our label is figuring it out. You know the bureaucratie and everything.

I've heard Gia Rose-Hilton's brother is in this project? Do you like your brother-in-law, I feel like you two wouldn't get along.

Drake: Nate…

Nathan: Yes, that is me. I am the younger brother of Gia Rose-Hilton. I would say the two of us get along just fine. It would be a weird thing if we disliked each other. I am the second half of the project.

I've also heard that you guys collaborated with Kidd Amaze and Liyah, how was the experience?

Drake: Kidd is one of the best hip hop producers on the scene right now. I was really happy that he accepted the invitation and we worked in a song that has a really deep politic and social critic, It’s a possible next single, I’m looking forward to it.

Nathan: I have never listened to much Hip Hop music but I feel we have broken some new ground. We were able to get to know the other participants of this project. I quite like the two of them, they are very nice people. Although, Liyah has a very rather colorful language but she expresses herself through everything she does.

Groovin' Downtown, Groove (As in a depression) In Downtown, or Musical Flow in a City's Core?

Drake: Both! The depression in Downtown, because the art conception behind the project it’s the streets, but also the musical flow because there’s groove in the songs. So basically, people can think whatever they want to. We’re just happy releasing this project, it has been in the shelter for quite a long time and it finally saw the sunlight, it’s a great feeling.

Check out Groove in Downtown's single Can I Exist out November 29th!

Oh boy, this guy is a fun one to talk about. Just give me a second while I drink myself half to death so I can handle this one. This is Payton, a raunchy seventeen year old rapper who isn't afraid to share his thoughts about his sexy teachers. But on the other hand, he speaks for every horny teenage male in high school right now. So he's basically a yin and yang deal. Anyway, here's the interview:

Payton:

UserPostedImage

Hey, name, age, favorite fast food joint?

Sup. Names Payton, and I don't really eat fast food..back when I was younger I liked McDonalds and then I saw SuperSize me and I backed off of all fast food. Gotta stay healthy and fit, specially as a performer. But to each's own.

Where/Who do you draw your inspiration from?

I think a lot of my inspiration comes from my love for music. It's not like, I can say that I exactly draw my inspiration from a specific person but a collection of things. I've always loved to play the piano, started playing when I was like..5 and started singing. Back in the day me and my cousins would put on little shows at my house during functions and stuff and and I would show off for them alil bit. Couple years ago I started writing music and stuff and my friends were always like "yo payton", you gotta get your music out there, you can make it big. And I started uploading stuff everywhere when I was 13 lol. Soundcloud, Youtube, Dailymotion. Type in Payton and you'll see my stuff there.

You're first song, Bend Over Miss was pretty saucy, how did it come to be?

Well, that's technically not my first song, that's the first song most people really know me for *laughs*. With Bend Ova Miss....It all started as a joke really. I mean like, who hasn't had a teacher that they had a crush on? Paid for a studio session in Orlando with a beat that was sent to me from a small time producer I met on soundcloud, he told he had something for me and I was like why not. Had the lyrics, thought it was funny so I recorded it. Put it on Youtube and next thing you know the reception was CRAZY. Bruh, I had people threatening to kill me over the song.. but then on the other hand, I know people are a lot more brave online and those threats are common I see and now there's so many people who have started supporting me more than ever since then, and it feels good as hell. Got me on a mission!

I did a review of Bend Over Miss a while ago, your thoughts on it?

Yeah, you went in on me but also asked me to do this interview so I see there's in interest in me. Everyone had their opinion so I'm cool wit it, Got me here though.

Do you really want to fuck your teacher?

*Tilts head and grins*

A lot of people think your music is offensive, do you intentionally offend people and try to be the rap GG Allin or does it just kind of slip out?

*Shrugs* next question....

Rumor has it you're recording more music, can you give me any hints towards its sound?

Yeah and I'm about to go ham. The first official single, Player No More, has that big sound to it. I'm not in no cheap studio anymore. Permanent Reminder hooked me up with a nice studio and I was able to get in contact with Will Rocca, we're also working on my album now. He sent me a sick beat and we put together something that's crazy. People are gonna like it.

Are you collaborating with anyone?

Yeah I've got a few. Can't say right now though!

Do you have any plans of touring anytime soon?

I do shows here and there almost every week but in March I'll be going on a big tour.

[b]Final thoughts? Final Fantasy? Final Fight?

I don't play those. 2K15 and Grand Theft Auto is the shit though.

If I were you, I'd watch Payton, I have a feeling he is going to explode, whether or not you like it...

Anyway, if you dug this interview, share it or something, or donate to me. I have a paypal account, it's just Coast 2 Coast, anyone who donates get their choice of a hat, a shirt, or a free tape from a random local Portland band! Next article is going to be about the Northwest's all ages movement and the next review will be Adam Benjamin's I Broke the Internet!

Edited by user 26 November 2014 07:18:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 8 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
erich hess on 26/11/2014(UTC), freestylechamp on 26/11/2014(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/11/2014(UTC), snap_itshannah on 26/11/2014(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 26/11/2014(UTC), BrownSugar on 26/11/2014(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 26/11/2014(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/03/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2014 07:21:34(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17915 time(s) in 10409 post(s)
Ooc: snazzy.

Erich: and with that,Payton is on my shit list. Finally fantasy has always been where it's at.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
Clampdown on 26/11/2014(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2014 07:38:29(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
mISTER_b: It was a fun interview, thank you Coast 2 Coast, and get ready folks for November 29th
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 1 user thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Clampdown on 26/11/2014(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2015 08:08:30(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hello, again! Happy new year, everyone. I'm sorry, it's been so long. I've been so busy, Coast 2 Coast almost got taken down again so I had to get all our ducks in a row and actually pay for the site to be up. So, as a reward for your patience, I'm reviewing an album that came out last month that seems to be on everyone's tongues right now: LOVE? from Vietnamese-American R&B artist, Reese Hollinsworth! Reese began to show up on the radars of bookers all across the nation and he played huge festivals such as: iHeartRadio Music Festival, the VMA's along with my good friend, Jeremy Salazar, and several other televised events. Actually, Jeremy was the one who told me to listen to it. He showed up at my house with some scratch takes of the album and he was like "Check this out, a friend of mine is doing this." so we listened to it and it was great! I refrained from listening to anything else so that listening to it when it released would be a total surprise to me.

Track One: Favorite Kind

Favorite Kind is the first track on LOVE? It's a groovy Eurodance song that uses abrasive synths and hypnotic basslines to hook you into Reese's powerful vocals. The song is about bragging about your significant other and them being your "Favorite Kind." It's a simple message and it works. It has good lyrics and a catchy beat, what's not to love?

Track Two: The Death of Me

When I said that I tried to not listen to any of Reese's stuff until release day, this was the one that slipped out. "The Death of Me" is kind of the continuation of favorite kind, it follows the same theme of bragging about your lover but it picks up more of a minor blues sound, which is something I really like. As usual, he brings powerful vocals to the table which really hooks me in as well.

Track Three: Number One Girl

They say that three is a lucky number and for this album I think this is a pretty lucky song. Reese brings a high falsetto and creativity into his lyrics. I almost get a J-Lo vibe off of this one. Mostly because of the heavy sidechained drums and his voice in this song. I think it stuck out to me because of that, because I regrettably listened to her in my youth, so I guess it gave me some nostalgia.

Track Four: Mine
Mine is a hypnotic and floaty dance track. It utilizes a slow tempo and simple instrumentals with vocals taking the spotlight. It's actually one of the stronger tracks on the album despite it being slow and simple. The lyrics were written by a team of writers and the collaborative efforts really stick out, I love the lyrics a lot.

Track Five: Drunk
This is the lusty song on the album. It's a slow hip hop song that puts a simple but heavy bass drum and snap rhythm to good work. It also uses a strange Arabian sounding arpeggio thing. It's weird, but nonetheless a good touch to the song. Reese also takes vocals that try to escape the tempo of 70 bpm. It reminds me too much of free form jazz and there are some points where the vocals don't fit, it's almost as if they were just pasted in at the wrong time during recording. That's just my take on it, I do think it's creative though.

Track Six: Love Me Back
Oh boy, Edward Barat. Oh boy. I'm personally not a fan of his music; at all! So it was kind of hard to get past the fact that he's in this song. I almost skipped it but I'm glad I didn't. It's a very strong tune and Edward has a lot of power in this song and it's made me reconsider how I feel about Barat. The chemistry between the two singers is incredible. Both of them really put emotion into their voices and I really think that the collaboration worked on this one. Instrumentally, it's just an average slow pop song. There's nothing that really sticks out except for side chained bass drums.

Track Seven: Numb

I've become so numb! I can't feel you there! Hold up, wrong song. Numb is a piano ballad in G minor and in 6/8 which is a pretty rad time signature so that's a plus! However, a writer for the AV Club said that this is more of a "milquetoast ballad." I think I have to sort of agree with this. The writing feels too submissive like I could easily make Reese my bitch based on these lyrics. There's nothing wrong with writing about feeling submissive but he puts these lyrics in with a powerful and soulful song and I feel like it doesn't fit. However, the lyrics aren't overly lewd and that's definitely a plus because good music doesn't come from making an album about sex.

Track Eight: (You Lost Your) Little Bit of My Heart
This has to be the only song on the album that I absolutely didn't like. It's overly poppy and obnoxious. Almost like a Disney musical. I don't feel like this should be a Reese Hollinsworth song because it's so different and poppy. Like, this is the kind of shit you heard on Radio Disney in 2005. Reese is better than this!

Track Nine: No, No, No, No (Done Carin' 'Bout You)
Ahhh, that's better. This is a huge step up from (You Lost Your) Little Bit of My Heart. It's very reminiscent of 90's pop and it's pretty in your face and I like it. It also reminds me of 70's funk and soul because of the rhythm and the life that Reese puts into it. It's the kind of song you listen to when you're driving downtown at 3:00 AM.

Track Ten: Come To Me
Come To Me is funky track that dabbles in 70's R&B and draws its roots from vintage rap. It uses a heavy amount of percussion. It uses a sick looping groove to keep you hooked. I subconsciously turned this one up because it's very catchy and the lyrics fit perfectly. This is a very strong track and I'd love to here this one live.

Track Eleven: Lovin' It (Not Looking for Love)
Lovin' It takes a bittersweet sound. It kind of made me feel sad. It's great that some songs can make you feel sad just by the sound. The lyrics are poppy and cheesy but they work, and sometimes cheesy and poppy is okay. This is another one that'd be great live. I'm sure Reese could get the crowd to go wild to this song. It's groovy and it's a total party anthem.

Track Twelve: Immortal
This song is a progressive house song and it casts itself out from the other tracks because it's a calmer house song. The cool thing about is that it's produced by mISTER_b, or Drake Zaslavsky, whatever suits your fancy. This is another powerful song as well and I especially love the lyrics. I think as the album draws to a close, my stereo gets a little bit louder because each one is better than the last.

Track Thirteen: Come Alive

This is the final track on the album. It was written and produced by Jeremy Salazar. His production in this song is a little too house for what he usually produces but I can still hear the breakcore elements in it. The song itself is actually pretty depressing and it really fits for a closer. It's about telling your lover you're transgender and being afraid they'll leave you and you'll die alone. That's some sad shit! It goes into a pretty cool EDM break which Jeremy usually has as a hella sick breakcore solo when he plays this with Reese. I think this is one of the strongest collaborations I've seen in a while. You can really tell they're good friends when you watch it live.

Overall:

Overall, this is a great album and I'd even call it an essential for pop. Reese delayed this album and I really think it helped him! I think the extra time gave him more time to tie up loose ends. Although there are plenty of loose ends in the album. All albums are flawed but Reese learns from his flaws and always has a pro in the mix. Overall, I'd rate this album 8/10.

Reese Hollinsworth - Love: 8/10 Coast 2 Coast Approved!
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 5 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
erich hess on 02/02/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 02/02/2015(UTC), dohaihoangnam on 02/02/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 02/02/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/03/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2015 08:30:24(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Oh hey, what's this? Another review? Whoa! Who am I reviewing today? Today, I am reviewing teen pop sensation and Cloud Strife look alike, Austin Nimmo and his new single, "Real." There has been a lot of hype surrounding the Australian American singer. This year, he's coming out with an album and if I'm not mistaken, he's touring as well. Austin Nimmo started his career in 2013 by uploading covers of his favorite top 20 singers. Eventually, he became Youtube famous and was given the opportunity to release his first single, Adore You, which he released independently. Nimmo is signed to the label, FREEDOM, which will also be putting out his new album.

Real is an interesting track. It's an easy song to pinpoint Nimmo's growth as a musician. Although it's not radically different, it shows improvement and confidence as a musician. It is theorized that this song is about Nimmo losing his relationship with SYNCO's Layla Sanchez because of his raw emotion and powerful lyrics. It's hard to pull off raw emotion without making an ass out of yourself and sounding cheesy but Nimmo is one of the few. The song gives me a 90's pop feel, using an acoustic guitar, drums, and vocals. Nimmo takes this song to the roots of pop music, shying away from 808s and synths, which I think is awesome! In the second verse, the emotions begin to build up which makes the song's meaning more apparent. One of the best parts of the lyrics is when Nimmo asks "Was it even real?" Which makes me think, were they actually in a real relationship; and if they were, did they not realize that they couldn't work? I love when song lyrics make me think!

The song ends with Nimmo asking again "Was it even real?" Once the song ended, I just sat there for a little bit as this song made me feel so bittersweet. Overall, this song is a very intense emotional song and instead of being your typical pop banger, it is a laid back and somber acoustic song that still has an upbeat pop vibe. Although, pop is a hard genre for me to sit through. Even though this song is good, it's still kind of a cookie cutter pop song. Regardless, I think Nimmo and the producers hit a homerun on this track and I can totally see this song topping the charts and I really hope it does. I've never really thought about Nimmo until this song. Check him out on Up Close and Personal with Brandon Grey! It'll be rad!

Austin Nimmo - Real: 9/10
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 7 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 16/03/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 16/03/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 16/03/2015(UTC), erich hess on 16/03/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 16/03/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 16/03/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 16/03/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2015 11:01:46(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hurt So Bad - Kim Lee Wong - Reviewed by Leon Peralta

I've been really hyper all day. I swear it's the barometric pressure or something but I've just been really hyper. I cleaned my apartment, I drove around for a while, got some coffee, saw some cacti, decided I wanted to be one with them, came home, and now I'm writing this review. Yesterday, I reviewed a huge pop star and today, I'm reviewing someone small. New kid on the block, Kim Lee Wong. He started out his career on Starfactory and he gained the admiration of my celebrity crush, Evangeline Wolfe, and later, he released a cover of Sinatra's Fly Me To The Moon in both Japanese and English. Sugoi! I couldn't really gather any information on this dude so here the actual review!

The song starts out with a very smooth and uptempo piano chord progression and drums. About twenty seconds in or so, Wong's voice shows up. It's soft and it uses a tad bit of vibrato as well. I'm still a little bit unimpressed but then the lyrics actually kick in. They're well written but the mixing of the vocals and the instruments sound a little bit off. Almost like the producer was like "Oh, I'm not done yet, but close enough. Let's just release it." I feel like there's something missing, like the vocals are too overpowering. As far as I know, Wong wrote the lyrics and they're pretty well written, it's a love song about Wong's lover leaving him. There seems to be a lack of raw emotion in this song. It's there but there just isn't enough. That is, until about one minute and ten seconds when his dynamic changes and it blew me away because I was expecting his voice to stay at this low dynamic level.

Overall, I think that Wong has a long way to go before he can really shine. But I definitely believe he can make it. He's talented, he can sing very well. He just needs to work on his craft a little more. I think if we give Wong about year, he will give us something great! I believe he can.

Hurt So Bad - Kim Lee Wong 6/10
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 4 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
Realms Of Darkness on 17/03/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/03/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 17/03/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 17/03/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#11 Posted : 10 May 2015 06:57:02(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Finals suck, finals have always sucked, and will never cease to suck; as I'm writing this double header, I'm studying for my classic literature final. There are some mistakes that aren't worth repeating and Classic Literature is definitely one of them. Anyway, here's a present for all of you, whether because May is the shittiest month of a student's life! I'll be reviewing two new musicians today. Medina with her single "Sundown" and Johnny Carter's "Deadly Love.

Medina - Sundown
UserPostedImage

A good first impression is always a good thing to have when meeting someone new, so I kept this in mind as I googled Medina's new single. Her name popped up immediately with headlines such as "New Pop Singer to Breakthrough!" I saw that people had put in a good word for her so I proceeded to Youtube to find her single. It's doing pretty well, it had a view count somewhere in the 10,000s but I don't remember exactly. My first impression began with an arpeggiated house lead that fades in to the song. My first impression was "Oh god, she's one of THOSE musicians."
Her voice kicks in and she has a pretty good voice, although it feels a little bit lacking in vocal power, she could use a lot more volume. The one thing that impressed me the most about this breakout pop singer was her lyrics. They're very well written and if I'm not mistaken, she wrote them on her own. The song itself has a very clubby feel, it reminds me of a Eurohouse song or something which is pretty cool because that's a genre I can generally get down to.
Overall, Medina's debut is a powerful one but like most things, has its flaws. If she learns from them, she can definitely be the next big thing.

Medina - Sundown 7/10

Johnny Carter - Deadly Love
UserPostedImage

Johnny Carter popped up a couple weeks ago and there's been a lot of buzz around him recently. He also handled some heat over Twitter which may signify that he's gonna get big, at least one person should openly have their doubts about you. Anyway, he's an R&B singer which is pretty cool and he has a very soulful voice. The song starts out with his vocals alone with some reverb which has a very cool effect and by this point I've made the impression that this is a good song. Eventually, the instrumentals kick in and it's what I believe is sampled orchestral hits which complements his vocals nicely. On to the lyrics: I like them but it's a very basic string of lyrics with lines repeating a lot and I feel like he could have written more lyrics. The subject is about being trapped in a "dangerous love" which is kind of cheesy especially with Fifty Shades of Grey on everyone's mind still.
Overall, Carter has produced a memorable song with a lot of quality in it and I hope he makes it big. Contrary to what I said to him on his website, he definitely has a shot in the business.

Johnny Carter - Deadly Love 8/10
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 3 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 10/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 10/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 10/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2015 13:12:11(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Austin Nimmo interviewed by Leon Peralta

Hey guys! Happy Memorial Day weekend! I hope you're all up in central Washington getting ready to get your party on tomorrow at Best in The Northwest Fest at the Gorge. I have a campground spot and I'm planning on doing a special Q&A panel/hangout too so make sure you catch that. In honor of such an event that's happening tomorrow, I got in touch with teenage pop darling, Austin Nimmo. He's only 18 and he's already made a huge name for himself. Plus, considering he's a pop artist, his music is actually pretty good and he's very talented. Just a hint for later, I'm going to be pumping out a lot more of these over the summer. Soooo, enjoy.

Hey, Austin! What's up?
Hey man, nothing really. Doing well, thanks for asking!

I reviewed your single, Real, a while back. Did you ever get a chance to read it?
I actually did. Sometime after the single dropped I went on twitter and the Austies kept telling me about Coast2Coast and how amazing you guys were...yeah, they love you because of that haha. Anyway, they kept sending me links and what not and telling me to go see what you said. I usually don't pay much attention to critics and reviews and all that stuff but I decided to give Coast2Coast a chance and I got to read what you said and it was a really strong, nice and intellectual review and I was happy that you gave my music a listen, let alone say such nice things about it, so I appreciate that. Thank you.

How did Real essentially come about? It is rumored to be about your girlfriend, Layla.
Just to clear the air, when it comes to "Real", yeah, many of the elements in the record does have to do with Layla but in terms of the whole song? Sonically it doesn't and I'll explain why. I started writing Real when I was flying from my hometown the Golden Coast to the U.K to enter the studio with J-Roc Harmon. I started writing the song in lens of being afraid of losing someone that I love, and of course I do love Layla so already that gave me the freedom to just let my heart flow about how I would feel if her and I were to just suddenly break off and that's relate-able to anyone who is into someone. You don't want to experience the day where you're looking back and wondering what went wrong and in the end questioning the legitimacy of the relationship and there's people that have gone through that exact scenario and that's one of th reasons why I feel people took to the single so much. So I began writing and it just started coming to me, all these emotions of doubt and I really don't want to jinx this between Layla and I but having her in mind really made it easier for me to create the song. I started out writing the chorus, which I feel is a deepest part of the track and then the verses came to me simply because I was telling the story as if I was recalling it actually happening. Sometimes being a songwriter really helps you explore your story telling skills through music. So yeah, got to J-Rock, presented him the material and we worked on the sound and a few weeks later Real was all done! Haha

It instantly shot to number one, how did you react when you heard the news?
It was a great thing hear. Even though I don't live and die by where my music charts as llong as I believe in my music and I have my supporters that do too, then I'm satisfied. So it could have not charted and I'd still be proud of what I recorded and released. My sister called me with the news first, and it was nice to hear. It's always great to know that your music is being embraced and appreciated on a high level, you definitely feel a bit more accomplished.

I listened to your debut album Fearless sometime ago and I concluded that although it definitely wasn't anywhere near a bad album, I wasn't really into your style of music. This time however, there has been an obvious presentation of a more mature lyrics and sound. Was this always a plan of yours or did it happen naturally?
A little bit of both actually.... I know there's people who either love Fearless or don't really like it that much and that comes with any artist and music and people will always have opinions so I respect yours. Fearless was my debut and I was still learning who I was musically, still am today, but I didn't really have a lot of control creatively since I was very new. I went from recording in my home with my laptop and mic to recording in the studio with Rami Yacoub in what seemed like over night. By the time the album was released I already had learned so much about everything having to do with being a musician. Sometime later I was ready to release my next album with slightly a more mature feel and a body of work that showed off my skills a bit more, not only lyrically but musically too. Fearless was mostly an album to listen to for fun, this new album has more substance and story telling.

Fearless became a major success commercially. Is there any pressure to live up to expectations?
Yeah, I definitely felt a lot of pressure after the album was done. I'm not the most confident individual in the world so I was pretty nervous that I wouldn't live up to expectations and I learned that I just have to go with the flow, clear my mind and continue to do what I love because when you're distracted or nervous, the music won't come out as good. So there was pressure but I let it fade away and just stayed focused.

Onto your new music! Control, your latest single is a killer track. How did the lyrics come to you?
Thanks man! Control is definitely one of my favorites from the album. The song came about rather easily. Like I said earlier, I like to make music that's relatable to my listeners and I wanted to write a song about us as humans being unable to control how our heart feels and that its natural you know? We make decisions following our heart sometimes and those decisions may not be the best. I didn't initially have all the lyrics written down as quickly as I did for Real. Control was more of a process. I entered the studio with Ryan Tedder with the chorus initially written. We came together and just started writing the jist of the record. Ryan is a really good producer and songwriter and I definitely have to thank him for being apart of Control because I doubt it would be as good as it is without him on board.

Much like Real, Control always became a number one hit. Were you expecting your music to be as successful as it is today, looking back years ago?
No, absolutely not. I've always been ambitious but I use to always hear stories about how competitive and dark the music business can me. I thought I'd never really have a chance of being where I am today and that's why I'm always saying thank you to my fans because it's still so surreal to me.

You have an album coming out, right?
Yes, I do!

What could you tell us about it?
What I can tell you is that the album is named "Unscripted" and it's the follow up to my debut album Fearless. It's gonna to be out this summer and it I'm so excited to get t out there! It will feature a lot of records that explore through different topics and many of them being very personal for me. I'm 18 now and becoming a young adult and my fans will get to hear that. Its my chance to show where I've been musically over the past year, and that's why it's called Unscripted. I've had a lot more control as to what the final product of the album is and it seems like many of the topics are like diary entries made into songs, hypothetically speaking. I can't sit here and say that every single track is something that is currently going on in my life but everything that I wanted to write about went on this album. The album is authentic, laid back and at times even emotional.

How does this album differ from Fearless in terms of sound?
Well for one, this is the first time where I have a backing band who was directly involved with the albums recording process and you'll get to know who those people are when I go on tour later this year. Recording some of the tracks with a band made the album have a bit of an pop alternative feel and that's essentially the sound I was going for. It still has elements of R&B and of course it's pop music but there's a sense of age on the album, and direction.

There's more guitars too, and percussion. I definitely feel like the acoustics became a key element to Unscripted.

Do you have any collaboration on the album that you could tell us about?
Yea I do. A couple. I can confirm one of them is with the incredibly talented Eilidh Green....She's super cool to work with and funny. I can't wait for people to hear the collaboration we recorded for the album, it's called The City That Never Sleeps. I've got another as well, but I don't want to spill all the beans.

You're one of the younger major stars in the industry, do you think this is an advantage or disadvantage?
I get this question a lot and I think there's a disadvantage for everyone in a way, whether you're young or old. People look for anything to try and break you down with, one weakness and they run with it. Whats important is that you get past those boundaries and leave an imprint for yourself. Since everyone is so opinionated, you'll have people who love you or hate you no matter who you are.

A while back, you received the FCA for Best Male Artist. Would you consider that moment monumental for your career?
Of course. It was my first major award win, definitely one of the highlights of last year... It was an honor being nominated with such talented people but to win was really awesome, I really thank my fans for that one! They really showed support.

Your supporters or "Austies" also won you the award for most psychotic fans. Do you think your fans deserve the title psychotic?
I know the award was for laughs and stuff and wasn't serious so I took it as a joke too but no, they aren't "psychotic". They just really have my back, and they know I love them. I'm lucky to have them, they speak out for me. I know they aren't always right and I've had to step in sometimes but calling them that was a bit over dramatic.

I heard a while ago your fans got into it with Billy Khan. What happened to start that? I'm a little out of the loop on that one.
There's been an ongoing thing for a while now and it's all a bunch of social media nonsense. I've told my fans to refrain from even entertaining anything like that anymore. In the past, I've made the mistake of letting certain things get to me and reacting and that's what people want, they thrive off of it and especially on twitter. Now I just use the block button, it comes in handy.

Who do you think has the hottest single right now? Aside from you of course.
Ha, thank you mate! There's really a nice handful of songs that I really enjoy but This Is A Hostile Takeoever by Riot is an awesome record!

A lot of great releases have come out so far this year. What's been your favorite?
Reported Failure's new album is very, very good. I also find myself listening to Groove In Downtown's album. Two favorites of mine this year.

Will you be attending this year's Best in The Northwest Festival? It's gonna be suh-lammin!
I will definitely try and catch a show! Sure it'll be great, glad to see more Festivals showing up, they seemed to have died out lately.

Simpsons or Family Guy?
Ha! Great questions actually, gonna go with Family Guy. Peter Griffin is real MVP that character is hilarious.

There it is, the words of Austin Nimmo himself. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did and there's going to be more to come later. Also, be on the look out for a Riot! In The Bolevard review coming up as soon as I get home from Best in The Northwest. Peace. - Leon Peralta....

Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 10 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
mebeme101 on 24/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 24/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 24/05/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 24/05/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 24/05/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 24/05/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 25/05/2015(UTC), GirlSpice on 25/05/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/05/2015(UTC), erich hess on 26/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#13 Posted : 25 May 2015 06:08:20(UTC)
Famouss7x7

OOC: Had fun doing this, I'm glad you'll start doing more stuff for Coast2Coast! It really has that online music website vibe and a lot can come from it :) hopefully this won't be the last interview we do!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

Offline Clampdown  
#14 Posted : 25 May 2015 06:18:42(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Had fun doing this, I'm glad you'll start doing more stuff for Coast2Coast! It really has that online music website vibe and a lot can come from it :) hopefully this won't be the last interview we do!

ooc: Thanks! I'm so stoked to do more interviews for sure!
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

Offline Andre Gandra  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2015 05:09:08(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
mISTER_b: Greatly seeing your evolving your music Austin, we had such a great moment working together last year, which I really look forward to repeating in a near future.

OOC: Great interview.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 2 users thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 26/05/2015(UTC), Clampdown on 26/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#16 Posted : 26 May 2015 10:59:59(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
mISTER_b: Greatly seeing your evolving your music Austin, we had such a great moment working together last year, which I really look forward to repeating in a near future.

OOC: Great interview.

Austin: Yeah, recording and releasing the remix of Unwanted with you was awesome! You're truly a gifted producer and musician thanks for that opportunity and I'm sure it will not be te last :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Andre Gandra on 26/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2015 13:38:23(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

To Write Love on Her Arms reviewed by Leon Peralta

Hey, guys! What's up? I hope you all just got back from Best in The Northwest Fest! For those of you who couldn't make it, please check out the festival's website, they streamed almost every set so you wouldn't miss the action. Personally, my favorites of the two nights were, Some Kind of Planet, Julia Volkova, My Own Violence, Groove in Downtown, and Reported Failure. I was dropped onto the cold pit floor while crowd surfing during RF, broke my glasses, lost my phone twice, and almost started a fight all during their set. I'd say everything went better than expected.

Anyway, one of the bands I had predicted was playing was Riot! In The Boulevard. They just came out of a hiatus with their single "This is a Hostile Takeover" and it totally blew my mind. It's raw, it's punk, it's pop, it should be an essential pop punk piece. Shortly after words, they released the song I'm reviewing, To Write Love on Her Arms, which was released as a single for a charity under the same name. The charity's purpose is to help people struggling with depression, addiction, and suicidal actions; which I think is awesome. The more help and awareness we have for young people's mental health, the lesser of an issue these things will become. I think it's great that Riot is doing such a thing, especially with their fanbase where a majority of fans have found the band as some sort of savior or reason to live. It's truly inspiring what music can do, I feel like our youth looks up to bands more than some motivational speaker at their high school so it's goo that they want to reach out using a band of this stature.

The song starts out with a powerful two and four drum beat and harmonizing guitars. It's almost reminiscent of U2 though the more distorted guitar riffs give off an early Green Day vibe. The chorus comes in and it's so pop-punky and catchy, it sends me right back to my salad days of being a high schooler. I used to listen to a lot of bands like this so there's definitely a nostalgia value as well. As the song nears it's end, Amy's emotions begin to build up and I can't help but pick up on her emotions, she projects them in such a moving way. The song ends with a fast paced guitar riff that repeats until the song finally ends.

Overall, this song is very well written with a powerful message. I hope as a huge band, Riot can get the charity's message across effectively and hopefully raise some more awareness. I would definitely give this song a solid 10/10! Everything falls into place perfectly in this song, it's well written instrumentally and lyrically, the production is spot on, it's for a worthy cause, and it's pop punk, you really can't go wrong with it. This is literally the first 10/10 I've given ever so give yourselves a round of applause, Riot!

Check out the single and donate to the charity here!

To Write Love on Her Arms - Riot! In The Boulevard 10/10

Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 5 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 29/05/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 29/05/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 29/05/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 29/05/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 30/05/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#18 Posted : 30 June 2015 17:13:15(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Coast 2 Coast reviews Cristina Lake's "Toxic Woman"

Hi. Hey. Hello. How are you doing? How's your summer been? Have you gotten food poisoning from Golden Corral yet? Have you lost your best friend after burying him in the sand? Have you been lost by your best friend after he buried you in the sand? Have you listened to the new Cristina Lake album? No? Well then in that case, your summer has completely sucked! If you haven't listened to it, and you're unsure about listening to the album. Here's this convenient review to hopefully change your mind about the album!

Track One: Toxic Woman

The highly anticipated album starts out with the title track and chart topper, Toxic Woman. It starts out with a heavy bass drop, a floor tom, and a heavy bass synth. Cristina begins singing, she is hypnotic and quiet as she sings the chorus but as a tom fill leads her right into the chorus, she sings with quiet power. Cristina made a great decision making this the first track of the album. A great album always has a great hook. From what I can gather, this song is about letting go of her regrets and letting the bad side of herself out for the world to see. It's a cool concept for lyrics, I like how it's not completely obvious; she hints at this using metaphors and creative verses such as "I'll smoke every last regret" which is surprisingly punk for a pop album. The song ends with a self-harmonized "Then your future ain't with me" and the song cuts out. This is going to be better than I expected it to be, definitely.

Track Two: First Kiss Lipstick

I am very found of good production, definitely. It can make a song so much better. That's why, when First Kiss Lipstick began with a pitch shifting accordion melody. I couldn't help but bump it up a couple notches volume wise. A loud piece of what I can only assume is metal begins playing on the two and four of the song as Cristina's smooth vocals kick in. She's almost whispering as she sings, it's a really cool tone; it adds a gloomy feel. Then, it goes into this neat little instrumental break with a heavy kick drum that's very heavy on my subs. This is the part where my head begins to bob up and down. The lyrics are well written, Lake has a great choice of vocabulary in her lyrics which I really like.

Track Three: Incandescent Romance

The next track starts out with a very hazy bass and synth lead. It almost reminds me of the genre "Vaporwave" where producers slow down a song from the 80's, chop up the sample, and add all sorts of reverb effects to give it this distant feeling. The song then goes into Cristina, spitting out some very creative lines, as well as a snare with delay slapped on it. It's almost like she was trying to fill this song up with lyrics and the oddness of the lyrics mattered more than the meaning, which is okay with me, I personally like it when bands ditch a deep meaning for vagueness. Before the chorus, there is a distorted sample of someone singing as Cristina' vocals come back in for the chorus. Her voice is very powerful, more powerful then we've heard from the last two tracks. This is definitely a standout track, everything falls perfectly into place in this song and I'd love to see it as a closer for live sets.

Track Four: Love When You're Ready

Love When You're Ready, follows the same psychedelic introduction suit that Incandescent Romance did. It starts out with a reversed choir sample and her hypnotic vocals. A piano kicks in as well which gives it this very gloomy feel, almost like the tranquility of driving in the rain. A distorted bass comes in and I do indeed get the image of driving down a rainy highway, which is common in my state of Oregon. Although, I wish since there is a lot of power in the instrumentals that she would bring some power as well. She sings very quietly in a lot of her songs and I feel like it's definitely her flaw, though it does fit a lot of her songs. Even if she bumped it up like one dynamic level, it'd be better. From what I can gather, the song is about finding the right partner and not just jumping on the first person you find attractive. Which I can agree with, considering most of those relationships just end in heart break. Overall, this song is a great song but it does lack a lot. Nevertheless, I'll still be bumping it next time I have to drive the highway in the rain.

Track Five: The Key

The album just gets more and more psychedelic as a hypnotic drum and bass combo hooks you right into Cristina's lyrics. There's a distorted but simple guitar riff in the background that my ears keep focusing on as well, this is a very trippy song for sure. The chorus kicks in with Cristina singing with a phaser attached to her voice as well as snapping on two and four. Her repetitiveness gets extremely trippy as all the instruments come back in. This happens as the time signature seems to change to 12/8 as her rhythm takes on a triplet feel. The time signature changes back to the common 4/4 as she sings up until an instrumental break which cuts off the song.

Track Six: One Day (Featuring Brandon Caulfield)

This song makes it clearly evident that Cristina is an expert at pathos. She sings about missing someone who is gone using gloomy lyrics and an overall depressing vibe. She sings over a very dark beat where the drums are the most obvious feature. Brandon Caulfield, a special guest in this song, also sings gloomy lyrics to match Cristina's though he sings through the point of view of Cristina's dead lover. He promises to patiently wait at the gates of heaven. In the chorus, Cristina promises that they will meet again one day. The way the two get the meaning across brings a very somber feeling in me. They executed the meaning perfectly without making it sappy and just stupid so I applaud them there.

Track Seven: Long Distance Lies

Next up is single, Long Distance Lies, a song about a long distance relationship. The song strays from her synth pop style that we've seen from ever song so far and it takes more of a surf indie direction. It reminds me of the Raveonettes and The Neighborhood sound wise. Her voice is very hypnotic and soft and it matches the song's erratic tempo changes. It really strikes me as a haunting song because of the meaning attached to it, or at least what I interpreted. She sings about the heartache of your love being a thousand miles away and a relationship like that obviously can't hold up very well so it all crashes down. As a person who as experienced this, I can relate to it even more which makes it a lot more emotional. Production wise, the drums stand out very clearly and that gives it this vinyl quality that I love. The snares are very punchy and they sound amazing with fancy speakers; try it out sometime, it'll make the song a whole lot better!

Track Eight: Addicted To Broken Hearts

The genre fluidity doesn't stop with Long Distance Lies; Addicted To Broken Hearts starts out with a distorted power pop guitar riff that signifies that this has more of a pop rock vibe. It's strange hearing this song since it's one of the only uptempo songs on the entire album, but it's definitely a nice way to shake things up and keep my attention towards the album. Cristina's vocals are a lot more poppy than the previous tracks and it has a lot more power in it as well. About halfway through one of the verses, I noticed that this also has a very strong jazz feel; it almost gives it a sleazy feel, like I want to go get drunk and buy a harem of prostitutes while listening to this song. Anyway, what I found the most interesting about the lyrics is that instead of playing the victim of a breakup role, it seems that Cristina is the one who is dumping her partner and she feels empowered by it, hence that she's addicted to broken hearts, the sound when it shatters, and the moment everything falls apart. While this isn't really a standout track and I got bored of it's simplicity, it hasn't stopped me from listening to this album and I can tell that Cristina has a lot of faith in this song.

Track Nine: Quiet Game

Reverbed guitars ring out as Quiet Game lives up to it's name, it's a rather quiet and chill song though Cristina does project a little more power into her singing. This song seems like it's a song about self-deprecation, she sings about being manipulative and ultimately losing her love. The song, despite it's sad message, has a very upbeat sound, with a tempo clocking in at 120 BPM. Though it does have a fast tempo, it's not something that we'll hear in clubs anytime soon, it's not a very dance oriented track. I feel like this song belongs more in a movie anyway; it just has that movie vibe. The song ends with Cristina hypnotically repeating the verse "The quiet game" as the song abruptly ends. Like most of the songs on here, it has great production and it's a good listen though it doesn't hold up to the beginning tracks.

Track Ten: Against A Tide Rushing In

Annnnnd things just got trippy again! Against a Tide Rushing In starts out with complex self harmonies up until simple synth and drums join the vocals. It reminds me of something you'd hear from Alt-J or Fleet Foxes because of that rainy day in nature vibe that it projects. This one utilizes one of my favorite drum samples, the 808 clap, this can be heard in trap and synth pop and I can't help but amp up bonus points to any song that uses it. The song then cuts into a chorus with a punchy synth leading guiding us into a swelling "Ahh" as she begins singing the next verse. The thing that sticks out a lot to me is that the bassline is very simple but at the same time, very powerful; as they say, simplicity is felicity. They don't actually say that, I think it's just me. Shut up, ADD. I have a review to finish! As the song concludes with the chorus dying out with a drum fill, I can't help but feel the necessity to go back and replay this song. I genuinely enjoyed it.

Track Twelve: Stay Young

After Against a Tide, a seemingly non existent track eleven is skipped over with Cristina's vocals saying "We turned twenty-one" with a delay slapped on it. An atmospheric piano lead drives us into a bass heavy drum beat with Cristina's vocals. She projects a Phantogram vibe as she sings about staying young and making mistakes. The buildup to the chorus begins with a deep four on the floor bass drum which sweeps into a heavy house synth lead. I begin subconsciously bobbing my head to this hypnotic house lead. They stop as she begins singing again. The skeleton of the song is pretty basic, it just repeats itself pretty much. However, this doesn't get boring, this is a very interesting song. Even when the skeleton repeats, there's something new to differentiate the track, which is a good move on Cristina's part. I can see how this song could be skipped over because of its repetitiveness so it's good that there's subtle change in it.

Track Thirteen: Live Myself To Death

An acoustic guitar riff throws us out of the synth pop vibe and into more of an indie feel. Cristina's reverbed lyrics give us a bittersweet vibe as a guitar strums on every beat one. Very soft bass drums begin playing to mask the guitar on beat one. Then, it evolves into a tight drum beat as Cristina sings in an operatic manor. It then mimics the beginning while still giving us a dose of hypnotic and woeful singing from Cristina. The bridge comes in and it's a common pop bridge where a synth pad and vocals fill your ears. Her voice is powerful but it feels like it holds back a little bit. She repeats the chorus using a similar dynamic. Towards the end, the chorus is harmonized with male vocals from an anonymous singer. It definitely fills up a tonal void this song has. The song ends with a bittersweet guitar riff slowing down as it fades out. There's a lot of subtle things wrong with this song, such as Cristina's tendency to go under dynamically, it's a bigger deal in this song because of it's minimalistic feel, she needs more vocal power to fill up a void. Other than that, this song radiates a very nostalgic feeling, almost like a feeling of realizing you wasted the best of your youth on partying and doing illegal shit. Which is something I feel the best of us will encounter later in life.

Track Fourteen: The Beat Inside

As the album draws nearer and nearer to its day of reckoning, we are greeted with a similar nostalgic vibe that Live Myself to Death gave us only more of a pop feel and less of that surf rock, do a ton of coke, vibe. She starts out with a deeper voice than usual with a four on the floor kick drum throbbing in the background. She has that same whisper quality in here voice but it fits more in this song. This song feels a little bit repetitive as the chorus repeats several times and there's not very much differentiation until the bridge where she begins to harmonize with herself in a higher pitch but that quickly goes away as the same rave chorus continues. This song definitely isn't the selling point of the album. It feels like she gave up a little bit on writing lyrics.

Track Fifteen: Everything Glitters

Here we are, track fifteen, we're almost done. A common house fade in begins as we're given a cool synth lead into Cristina's vocals. This song seems to be in a non traditional pop tempo of 100 bpm, which is a great mix up from the common 130 that we're used to in this album. Also, good news, Cristina displays a lot of power in these opening lines. I'm very proud to hear power coming out of her. Her vocals are complimented by a heavy bass drum playing four on the floor. An 808 snare leads us into the chorus which utilizes a glitchy sampled lead. This is one of the more club oriented tracks on the album. I can definitely see a crowd of people grinding on each other to this track. Even the lyrics bring on a party vibe as she talks about inhibitions wearing thin. While I'm generally not a fan of club tracks, this one is genuinely a grooving track and I could actually see myself listening to it. At lot more went into it than your standard issue club banger and I applaud Cristina for that. For the entire album, while she's followed the spine of pop music, she hasn't stuck onto clichés at all. It can be hard for a pop artist to stay true to what they want, it's a consumer demand oriented genre, they put out what the masses want to hear and most of the time it's just club bangers. So give a hand to Cristina for being a chart topping artist with her own style.

Track Sixteen: Blinded by Weakness

A good closer is very important to me so hearing the abstract synth work in this closing track really sparked up some hope for me. The song has a tribal feel which I love. I absolutely love it when electronic utilizes a hypnotic conga beat, it just makes the song more likable to me. She uses low-fi fuzz vocals to project her power into our ears as she begins singing. She wants to display a message about how we all go through emotional pain, one way or another. There is absolutely no way of avoiding it, no matter how hard we try. It is also a reflection of herself when she was stuck in that emotional rut. She only subtly hinted at feeling happier in this record and that is a great move. Too much happiness makes me uncomfortable, there should at least be some form of neutrality in your music over one emotion and she finds that balance between happy and sad. I absolutely love how she takes more of the tribal feel mixed with classic prog rock synths. It makes a very unique sound, which got me to bump this song a few notches. There's also an organ, giving this more of a rastafarian feel though it's projected as indie which is unique because she's only subtly experimenting with new sounds and genres.

Overall:

This album started out amazing, then in the middle grew mediocre but rocked again at the end. It definitely had a great hook in to the audience but it should have done more in the middle to hold up my attention. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this album and would recommend this to anyone looking for a darker side of synth pop music and overall just something unique. She utilizes her own style and in her future releases, she really needs to stick with that. The biggest problem I had with this album is that she doesn't come out of her shell power wise. She has a lot of potential with these tracks that she isn't using because her vocals are just a tad too quiet on almost every song. Will there are parts that make it better, she should really focus on bumping up her power next time she goes to write a song.

Standout tracks: Toxic Woman, First Kiss Lipstick, Incandescent Romance, Love Me When You're Ready, The Key, A Tide Rushing In, Live Myself To Death, and Blinded By Weakness

Rating:

9/10
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters:

thanks 7 users thanked Clampdown for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 30/06/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 30/06/2015(UTC), erich hess on 30/06/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 30/06/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 30/06/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 01/07/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#19 Posted : 01 July 2015 04:18:08(UTC)
Famouss7x7

OOC: THIS AMAZING! Thank you so much for taking so much time out to review the album track by track. Just by reading this I can tell your knowledge of production and music is really good and intuitive and it was a very enjoyable read! :) you literally got each of the songs topics down to a tea. Really glad you did this.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Clampdown on 01/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Clampdown  
#20 Posted : 01 July 2015 04:25:32(UTC)
Clampdown

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: THIS AMAZING! Thank you so much for taking so much time out to review the album track by track. Just by reading this I can tell your knowledge of production and music is really good and intuitive and it was a very enjoyable read! :) you literally got each of the songs topics down to a tea. Really glad you did this.

OOC: Thank you so much! It means a lot to me to see people satisfied with my work! I did take a lot of time to analyze the meanings behind the songs and it made for a more in depth review! I would had had it in earlier but I was out of town for a week. Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
Active Bands/Artists:

Some Kind of Planet

Other characters: