logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Synxhard  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2009 08:48:07(UTC)
Synxhard

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hey everybody, its Jackson, coming to you with some news on our third album. We've been in the studio during all of our off time from touring, and I gotta say, this is gonna be a big departure from what we've been doing. We've kinda carved ourselves out as a purely progressive group, and for a long time we've been denying our melodic death metal and thrash metal roots. Now, you may be thinking that I'm hinting at a very un-progressive album but thats not exactly the case, cause we're actually gonna be releasing a double sided album, one half being even more experimental than our previous material, and one being a much more straight forward kick your ass in metal record.

Many fans will be complaining about us no longer spitting out generic new wave of prog metal albums, but to tell you all the truth we don't want to just fit in with the crowd. For the first time the riffs we're writing sound like Nile's Fear riffs, not something that could be written by any other band of our genre. I'm not saying the New Wave of Progressive Metal is bad, its just The Wicker Man set up a sort of unique formula, and now all the rest of the bands in our style are simply repeating that. This will be a major test to see if our fans are fans of Nile's Fear or of experimental death metal.

Any way, on to the album. The first side will be called 'The New Genocide Plot' and is set for release in 3 weeks. Every day I will release some track descriptions, and occasionally extra material.

Fate Takes A Turn For The Worst (5:19) - Araya - There is not much that can be said about this brutal, dark song which sings about chaos, death and there being no escape, hinting at Armageddon. It is composed of pure melodic death metal riffs and leads, accompanied by intense blast beats and growls that would give even the most professional of screamers a bloody cough. Somehow Matt and Jackson manage to pull off a 1:30 second shred-tastic harmonized solo, which when paired up with the breakneck speed of the track should prove nearly impossible and demands every bit of attention possible from both players.

Spared by a Coma (3:14) - Carver, Araya, Adler - For the first 5 or 6 seconds there is silence, and then the band rips into a face smashing set of intro chords, over which Lucas pounds out furious drum fills. They quickly rip into a relentlessly fast riff, which at first is only played by Jackson, before accompanied by everyone else. They change to a slightly more melodic riff and Lucas slows his beat, signaling for Matt to come in, screaming out violent and throat ripping lyrics. They slowly increase the speed of the riffs and drums, until the song reaches its climax at a vicious chorus, whose anthemic lyrics are unmistakable: 'Where has it come from? How can it be stopped? So quickly we're to meet our end, our empire we have lost. Karmatic armegeddon, no religion could foresee a planet once forsaken, not even a memory'. Matt takes an interesting solo, which is quite memorable, and they repeat some of the earlier passages, which lead out of the song.

Spared by a Coma LEAK!:

More coming tomorrow.

-Jackson
Nile's Fear

Edited by user 12 October 2009 10:15:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Nimrods  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2009 09:20:23(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Jimmy:I like this direction, but the Wicker Man set up a formula? Excuse me? I don't think so. But I really like how you guys are much heavier than usual.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Synxhard  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2009 09:37:11(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

I was referring to the *New* wave of prog metal, which took influence from you guys. Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for the support though, definitely reassuring that someone likes our new approach.

-Jackson
The Wicker Man
Offline The Nimrods  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2009 09:39:15(UTC)
The Nimrods

Synxhard wrote:
I was referring to the *New* wave of prog metal, which took influence from you guys. Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for the support though, definitely reassuring that someone likes our new approach.

-Jackson
The Wicker Man

Jimmy:Yeah it's awesome, my band is simmering down but we still love brutal.Thoough I'd consider us New prog too because we weren't like this until the Iliad which was our 3rd album. Anyway wanna tour again? Our old fans will love you guys.
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Synxhard  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2009 09:54:10(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

The Nimrods wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

-Jackson
The Wicker Man

Jimmy:Yeah it's awesome, my band is simmering down but we still love brutal.Thoough I'd consider us New prog too because we weren't like this until the Iliad which was our 3rd album. Anyway wanna tour again? Our old fans will love you guys.

Yeah, I really am excited about the direction you guys are taking too, especially the combination of Kit's Tool influenced drumming and what Davey's been doing on the bass, not to mention your playing and the entire layout and diversity of the new songs. That explains a lot about my earlier confusion, sorry bout that. And we would kill to tour with you guys again. It'll be interesting to see how different it is now that word has gotten out about us. Thanks for the great opportunity. Also, can't wait for Sysiphean to kick in to gear, that'll be a trip.

-Jackson
Nile's Fear
Offline Synxhard  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2009 10:15:36(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Hey guys, its Matt here, with a MAJOR update. We've decided to release 'The New Genocide Plot' 3 weeks earlier than planned. That's right, its on sale right now, and is a massive success. So far we've sold 125,000 copies in one week alone, and it is our first record to crack the top 40 in the world. Stay posted for more free downloads and track descriptions. Here are the positions:

UK: 69
US: 1
Australia: 1
Europe: 1
World: 34

OOC: Sorry got the release dates wrong :)
Offline bdylan88  
#7 Posted : 12 October 2009 10:32:17(UTC)
bdylan88

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm really digging this metal!

Marc Rolan
I own...

The Bards

Jack Frost (deceased)

Jimmy Merchant

The Bards are signed with HOT EYE RECORDS

Offline Paradox  
#8 Posted : 12 October 2009 11:03:45(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Hey!, there is few bands in the new prog scene, and everyone is unique, kick-ass album anyway, a lot of new albums coming, there is Schadenfreude Ecdisyast's album, our album, your album, Wicker Man's cover record, etc. great month for metal.
-Erick , Insolent Paradox

OOC: congrats on #1 and #2 for your bands
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Synxhard  
#9 Posted : 12 October 2009 11:16:52(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Yea, didn't mean to to put anyone down. You guys are mind blowing and anything Liam touches is phenomenal. Thanks for the support, this will probably go down as a legendary month for metal as a whole, especially prog metal. I was thinking maybe after my band finishes touring with The Nimrods we should do a joint headline tour. Also, thank you Marc, glad to see you appreciate a wide variety of music. It's sad to see you guys disbanding, although I'm not sure all of my bandmates agree (OOC: rp).

-Jackson
Nile's Fear

OOC: Thanks, I'm still trying to get accustomed to both of my bands being really successful in game. I'm used to The Wicker Man selling 100,000 records in a week and Nile's Fear 10,000, so this is kinda exciting. Thanks once again.
Offline Captain Insano  
#10 Posted : 12 October 2009 11:35:34(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Hey guys, fantastic stuff, cant help but be impressed with the way you guys go from strength to strength. Once Sisyphean is done and all that, us, you guys and The Nimrods should do a kicka ass tour to show just how awesome prog metal is.

Rick Fisher
The Black Gates
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Paradox  
#11 Posted : 12 October 2009 11:42:22(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Well, I think you guys are in Negative Tour, that will be kickass, I think the Nimrods are there too, and Liam's project, only thing missing is Sisyphean.
-Erik, Insolent Paradox
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Captain Insano  
#12 Posted : 12 October 2009 11:49:44(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yeah, Sisyphean was a part of Negative Records once...now that would be a tour and a half.

Rick Fisher

UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Synxhard  
#13 Posted : 12 October 2009 12:03:23(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

I just got this fantastic idea. What if we got a bunch of the prog bands together and did a 'Road Runner United' type of disc, where for example you took Lucas from Nile's Fear, Erik from Insolent Paradox, Davey from The Nimrods among others and they wrote a song, and you end up with 10 or so different combinations, resulting in 10 or so songs that would go on a disc. Possibly a tour after that? Who knows. Any way glad to see you like it Rick, and yes, that would be a kick ass tour, we should talk about it some time.

-Jackson
Nile's Fear

Edited by user 12 October 2009 12:05:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Nimrods  
#14 Posted : 12 October 2009 12:07:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

Synxhard wrote:
I just got this fantastic idea. What if we got a bunch of the prog bands together and did a 'Road Runner United' type of disc, where for example you took Lucas from Nile's Fear, Erik from Insolent Paradox, Davey from The Nimrods among others and they wrote a song, and you end up with 10 or so different combinations, resulting in 10 or so songs that would go on a disc. Possibly a tour after that? Who knows. Any way glad to see you like it Rick, and yes, that would be a kick ass tour, we should talk about it some time.

-Jackson
Nile's Fear

Jimmy:I like that, Roadrunner United was a good record we'll be Negative United dude!

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Synxhard  
#15 Posted : 12 October 2009 14:29:46(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

If we can pull it off that would be kick ass! It would go right with the 'Negative Tour'!

-Jackson
Nile's Fear

OOC: Priest, if you're reading this you better try to set it up!
Offline Synxhard  
#16 Posted : 12 October 2009 14:34:50(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Here's the artwork to the first disc:

UserPostedImage
Offline Synxhard  
#17 Posted : 13 October 2009 13:40:52(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Hey everyone, Matt again, with a few more downloads. Also, 'The New Genocide Plot' has maintained its 3 #1's and jumped to #31 in the world, selling 125,000 in its second week. (OOC: I wrote the rp's, but there were deleted by mistake, I'll have them up shortly)

Life is an Unholy Thing:

Bury The Bones of Your Martyrs:

Only for Download Here: Hallowed be Thy Name cover:

Offline Synxhard  
#18 Posted : 24 October 2009 17:10:14(UTC)
Synxhard

Man

Here's some updates:

New Single: The Words Still Echo
Released: October 21st, 2009 (2 weeks so far TRSG time)
Sales:300,000 copies

Charting: Current (Last)

South America: #41 (51)
Australia: #1 (8)
US: #7 (12)
UK: #14 (51)
Europe: #4 (5)
World: #34 (43)

'The New Genocide Plot' Review:

Wake Up To Death At Your Door

Nile's Fear leaves no doubt about the direction this newest installment to their catalog will take when the first spine shattering riff, courtesy of guitar virtuosos Matt Carver and Jackson Araya, skipping straight past the experimental interludes of 'Warlock' and the technical build-ups of 'Human Death Fields'. The song progresses nicely, with no outstanding characteristics other than a strong bass solo by David Demmel. A strong album start, though there isn't much to seperate it from run of the mill melodic death metal. 7.5/10

Spared By A Coma

A slightly better though out track then the previous one, 'Spared by A Coma' manages to take a rather common song structure and infect it with a variety of different riffs, ranging from poly-rythmic chromatic triplets to crisp and melodic leads, over which drummer Lucas Adler seems to switch on to auto-pilot, adding some un-conventional yet mildly predictable drum fills. Overall, this track picks up where the last one left off, expanding on this new shift to a more straight-forward sound, without providing any jaw-dropping uniqueness. 8/10

Cancerous Bullets

This is where the album finally kicks off for me. The thrashing riffage is tight, as is expected, and technically demanding, yet the band finally seems to land back in their home territory, blending different styles with their own special Nile's Fear sound. In particular the guitar-bass harmonies, well thought out drum solo, and vocals, which abandon the past 2 tracks strict death metal growl for a more sophisticated mix of raspy singing and thrash grunts, power this song forward, making it one of the better pieces on this album. 9.5/10

1349 (Corpses)

For me this is the only real disappointment Nile's Fear has offered us. In their quest to create something new, they have crafted a hybrid of progressive metal with old school thrash, which under certain circumstances might work out, but in this case ultimately fails to deliver. The 2 styles are blended rather sloppily, and in particular the technical riffing needs to be tight and above all else brutal, but it comes out as rather clumsy and light-weight compared to some other gems on this album. A filler at best. 4/10

Fate Takes A Turn For The Worst

Carrying on from the success of 'Cancerous Bullets', this song stresses the new found combination of infectiously catchy groove oriented riffs with melodic and technical proficiency, an style which could become quite career defining if they learn how to expand upon it. Although the shred-tastic soloing may get old after 5 songs straight, it is a huge step up from the blunder of '1349', and justly lands a spot right up near the top of the album. A graceful recovery, matching the best tracks of this album toe-for-toe. 8.5/10

Boy In The Bloody Pajamas

The perfect compliment to 'Fate Takes A Turn For The Worst', this 28 minute masterpiece doesn't present itself as a art piece as much as it does a flowing line of thought, never repeating itself nor becoming run-on. The acoustic work on this song is mind-blowing, a well needing turn away from the slightly over used pure shredding, and Matt's vocals are brilliant, for they don't just tell a story through lyrics, but also through melody. The brief reign of military snares and heavy guitars sets up the perfect contrast for the following clean passage, which beautifully mixes victoriousness with absolute horror. All hail Nile's Fear/ 10/10

Bury The Bones Of Your Martyrs

An interesting trip away from the previous work. I know that I'll only receive a hoard of hate-mail for this, but 'Bury The Bones Of Your Martyrs' is most easily described as an interesting take on prog metal, injected with mediocre metal-core, which is better suited for the next album from The Wicker Man. Don't get me wrong, this song is rather good, but it only repeats upon other band's innovations, and when compared to those it falls rather short. Much better than I would've anticipated if you had told me they were going to have metal-core vibes on one of their tracks, but they really should stick to what they do best. 7.5/10

Life Is An Unholy Thing

A strong pick, this track utilizes Jackson's lead skills to their fullest potential. The various riffs and arpeggios are interesting and fresh, yet they are missing some of that wow-factor that gave such gems such as 'Cancerous Bullets' that extra boost that made you instantly remember that this particular riff belongs to this song, but by the second or third time through you should have absorbed enough of it to remember it. Lucas' drumming is rather predictable, and it seems they could use a bit more balance, for Jackson's playing over-shadows everyone else. There is more work to be done, but a good sign that their headed in the right direction.8/10

The Words Still Echo

Definitely the oddest of the 10 songs. The use of various electronics and synthesizers will turn off the more close minded metal heads, but will have fans of experimental music screaming for more. The combination of only occasional guitar and drums allows David's bass playing to really shine, not to mention the interesting Pro Tools composition, formally credited to friend of The Wicker Man fame Charlie Haner. A solid and well done departure from an otherwise metal album. 8/10

Into A Strange New World

Once again, Nile's Fear has strayed off into the vast expanse of music, this time focusing on the moving prowess and skill of Iron Maiden. Although I have criticized them multiple times now for not staying true to themselves, I must say that to their credit this modern take on the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal is quite good, and doesn't feel like it's quite as much of a copy as the previous songs, and it actually carries strong traces of Nile's Fear's unique playing style. A powerful finishing track, which sums up the quality of the album I think. 8.5/10

Overall: 8/10