logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2020 10:45:53(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Artist: Billy
Title: Attention
Genre(s): Electropop, Synthpop
Length: 3:24
Writers: B.Holmes, S.Hollywood, C.Flores
Producer: IN BLOOM
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: TBA

Attention is a song by British singer-songwriter Bilal Khan-Holmes, known mononymously as Billy, released as the lead single from his upcoming debut studio album. The song was released on February 16 2020, following weeks of teasing posts on social media. The release of "Attention" marks not only the first solo release from Billy but also the very first official single release from any member of Weekend as a lead artist. Several have featured as guest vocalists on tracks beforehand - Billy achieving four #1 hits as a feature. The release of the song sparked controversy for its release during Weekend's third world tour, causing speculation over his future with the band. The lyrical content has also received criticism for its overtly promiscuous nature. The track was written by Billy, Sara Hollywood and Christian Flores, who also produced the song under his stage name IN BLOOM.

Writing & Production

Lyrically, the song pokes fun at Billy's public persona as he's been dubbed as an attention seeker and highly promiscuous. In the song, he paints himself as an unforgettable one night stand and that he's only looking for a good time and some attention to stroke his ego - definitely not on the hunt for love or anything long term.

Sonically, "Attention" is a pulsating electropop and synthpop song, with a powerful dance beat and undercurrents of a more urban leaning bass. The track opens with the sound of a champagne cork popping as well as a sexual "Uuhhhhhhh" from Holmes. With the raunchy nature of the lyrics, Billy opted for a more subdued and sensual approach to his vocals, refraining from huge notes until the end of the song where he powerfully ad-libs over the final chorus. "Attention" features two variants of the chorus and the first is also broken down and used as the bridge of the song. A vocal breakdown of Billy's breathy moans are also used as post-chorus hooks.

Background & Release

The track was written in late 2019 during the roll-out of Weekend's third studio album, "Welcome to the Real World". Holmes had been planning on releasing a solo album for quite some time but had always put his plans off in order to focus on the band. With a new decade looming and another successful Weekend album under their belt, Billy believed he had paid his dues and that the time was right to release music under his own name and under his own terms.

Billy wrote:
"I love Weekend and haven't left, let's get that straight. However, the music we make is a compromise between all five of us. It's a conscious decision we make in order to cater to our fans and the image of the Weekend brand. The music is great but there's only so much of me in there. I've got my own personal tastes and influences that I really want to showcase but can't do that within the confines of a Weekend album. A track like this would not sit well within the band's discography. It's far too "Billy" and that's the reason I chose to release this as the lead single.

I have been writing and recording my own stuff for years either just to keep the creative juices flowing or to save them for a rainy day. I knew I'd release an album but never knew when that would be. When we wrote "Attention", I knew I had found THE single. I don't think anybody else could sing it. It's sexy, it's cheeky, it's f***ing cocky as Hell, it's wild and shouldn't be taken too seriously...which some people will. It's so "me". Releasing it when you're on a world tour for another project isn't the best promo schedule you could wish for but I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I didn't want yet another song to collect dust and then sound dated and of no use down the line. I'm unleashing it to you all know. Hope I've got your attention!"

Critical Reception

"Attention" received positive reviews upon release, with many critics welcoming the first solo Weekend song and dubbing it as the "perfect" single for Billy; William Farrelly of ThatMusicSite being one of them. "It's fitting that the first thing we hear from his solo discography is a sex noise. Let's face it, we've all seen Billy's willy more than our own at this point," he opined, regarding the sexual nature of the track before adding; "The track embodies Billy with lines doubling as nods to his sexual exploits as well as his controversial, headline grabbing person". Idolator's Mike Reid branded the song as a "supersized bedroom and dancefloor banger". Karla Malone of Yahoo! News wrote that "Attention, like Billy, is commanding, bold and brash yet dreamily irresistible". Gay Times magazine stated that the song is "everything we wanted from Billy and more" before adding that he "somehow exceeded already high expectations". K.Lloyd of Chart Heat Company lauded the "mammoth bop" and highly praised Billy's first solo effort, stating "We haven't seen a pop band member gone solo this promising and exciting since Nadia Berry stepped out on her lonesome. BILLY IS HERE!"

Some listeners, however, responded negatively to the themes of casual sex, laddish behaviour and the cockiness of Holmes. Penny Talbot of Evening Standard wrote; "While the tune itself is fine, Khan's lyricism is not. It's clear that the sweet sentiments cooed on Weekend tracks are not the brainchild of Khan. Instead, he wants to have a romp with your daughter and send her on her way. It does nothing to help his public image. Your ears feel riddled after listening to him". Markos Papadatos of the Digital Journal said "We have enough f*ckboys breaking hearts and promoting promiscuous ways without consequence. We don't need Billy, arguably one of the most famous musicians in the world, glamorising it to the masses".

"Attention" was instantly made Zane Lowe's "World Record" on Beats 1, earned the top spot on 10 official Spotify playlists and became Amazon's "Song of the Day" upon release.

"ATTENTION"

Uuhhhhhhh

For tonight, I can make your fantasies come true
Slow, steady, rough, energy, whatever you wanna do
You can have this body, feel this skin on your teeth
But in the morning, it's gonna be leaving with me
If you're looking for love then I'm never the answer
I give you that buzz, hit you like a gold plated hammer

You can call me cocky 'cause I'm damn sure of myself
Bet you couldn't reach these levels all by yourself
So give me all your loving, all your trust and time
And, yeah, I guess I'll give you a little of mine

Not the finest chocolate, we're just chewing gum
Keep you in my mouth 'til the flavour's gone
Only want tangled up if it's all for fun
Don't want complications, so here's my intentions
No strings attached, I just want your attention

Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh

See, it's no fun only putting all my love on me
Enough to share, happy to play for all the teams
I can be whatever you like, there'll be no judgement
Can explore far and wild tonight, pure indulgence
Let's go rounds in the ring 'til we can hardly breathe
You're so lucky, nothing this good should come for free

You can call me cocky 'cause I'm damn sure of myself
Bet you couldn't reach these levels all by yourself
So give me all your loving, all your trust and time
And, yeah, I guess I'll give you a little of mine

What I got on offer should be illicit
I know it's so sweet but don't get addicted
Heard the warnings so now time for the explicit
Come step into Heaven, it's an open invitation
Tell all your friends, I could use the attention

Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh

What I got on offer should be illicit
I know it's so sweet but don't get addicted
Heard the warnings so now time for the explicit
Come step into Heaven, it's an open invitation
Tell all your friends, I could use the attention

Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh
Uh, huh, uh-uh-uh-ah-oh

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 17 February 2020 11:28:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 17/02/2020(UTC), erich hess on 17/02/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 18/02/2020(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 18/02/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 02/03/2020(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 08/03/2020(UTC), FiveT on 03/05/2020(UTC), Welat65 on 08/05/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 31/07/2020(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2020 11:53:38(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Bitch Wat: Oh my god. This is a massive banger. We were NOT ready!! The lyrics, vocals, production. This is IT!! This single is getting all my attention.

OOC: Great work as usual :) Nice to see Billy doing more solo work. Soooo excited for what else you have planned ;)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/02/2020(UTC)
Offline TishaJackson!!!!  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 03:26:51(UTC)
TishaJackson!!!!

Was thanked: 1322 time(s) in 637 post(s)
Tisha: The production on this is fire. Definitely a bop for the spring and summer! Shout outz to Billy!

OOC: I love this song and am so happy someone used it as a sound alike! You did those damn lyrics!
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked TishaJackson!!!! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 19/02/2020(UTC)
Offline freestylechamp  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2020 03:45:24(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: Totally feels like a persona song, however, Billy is also good at his poker face. Never play strip poker with him he has a mean game, the song is fire but I would want the one where he sings about finding that special someone cause I know he has that in his back pocket that makes people melt like crazy. This song is for the fans that like the persona down with friends with benefits. He going to be dropping another song for the couples that is going to be baby-making music.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/02/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2020 06:06:01(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Bitch Wat: Oh my god. This is a massive banger. We were NOT ready!! The lyrics, vocals, production. This is IT!! This single is getting all my attention.

OOC: Great work as usual :) Nice to see Billy doing more solo work. Soooo excited for what else you have planned ;)

Billy: It's been a long time coming so I had to come hard ;)

OOC: Thank you! Weekend solo stuff has been a long time coming. Very excited to finally get it off the ground! :)
UserPostedImage

Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2020 06:07:18(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: TishaJackson!!!! Go to Quoted Post
Tisha: The production on this is fire. Definitely a bop for the spring and summer! Shout outz to Billy!

OOC: I love this song and am so happy someone used it as a sound alike! You did those damn lyrics!

Billy: Thank you, Tisha. Means a lot coming from someone like you. This is just the beginning ;)

OOC: Thank you! I had the idea for a bunch of the lyrics for a while and when they released the song, I knew I had to use it. Just fit so well with the vibe I wanted :)
UserPostedImage

Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 01 March 2020 06:10:36(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Chris: Totally feels like a persona song, however, Billy is also good at his poker face. Never play strip poker with him he has a mean game, the song is fire but I would want the one where he sings about finding that special someone cause I know he has that in his back pocket that makes people melt like crazy. This song is for the fans that like the persona down with friends with benefits. He going to be dropping another song for the couples that is going to be baby-making music.

Billy: Thanks for just revealing my entire album campaign to the world before I did. Seriously though, there's a variety of stuff to come. You'll love it all ;)
UserPostedImage