logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2009 23:29:37(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
which one is it more like.
A- one small step from a one party state
or
B - a good working example of democracy

discuss
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline forkboy  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2009 01:46:56(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Hmmm. I think it's got pluses and minuses and is more a good example of the flaws inherent in representative democracy. Minority views do not get represented, unless they shout alot, it's far too easily influenced by big business, the parties being essentially two big coalitions who have ended up with a very, very narrow focus point, both largely centre-right and in favour of big business. The problem with this is that because the two parties agree on so much they a) leave a large number of people with views unrepresented by either party, and b) means that the occasions when there are differences they are magnified hugely and you end up with a culture of ignorant open hostility between the two rather than fosteriing a spirit of coalition & cooperation.
Offline The Nimrods  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2009 06:27:25(UTC)
The Nimrods

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Like forkboy said it's got pluses and minuses more minuses than pluses and there really is just democrats at the moment or republicans I'm not really sure, because we agree on everything except the economy and health care and things in that vicinity. Though I'm an American I honestly don't really care as long as I don't live in a cardboard box and have to work as a male hooker due to inflation.But to be honest we sort of forgot about the whole economy thing because we're too busy bitching about Chicago not being picked in the Olympics and Iran making nukes and buying uranium. I asked and Iranian girl at my bus stop what she thought about it and she said "Maybe the bombs are for Israel! I hope so."
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline Mt. Epic  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2009 12:20:34(UTC)
Mt. Epic

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 28 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
Like forkboy said it's got pluses and minuses more minuses than pluses and there really is just democrats at the moment or republicans I'm not really sure, because we agree on everything except the economy and health care and things in that vicinity. Though I'm an American I honestly don't really care as long as I don't live in a cardboard box and have to work as a male hooker due to inflation.But to be honest we sort of forgot about the whole economy thing because we're too busy bitching about Chicago not being picked in the Olympics and Iran making nukes and buying uranium. I asked and Iranian girl at my bus stop what she thought about it and she said "Maybe the bombs are for Israel! I hope so."

it sorta switches off about every 30 years since the beginning of the American Republic
UserPostedImage

Fuck yo punk ass! Da BBC Kingz gon' getchu!
Offline Gildermershina  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2009 12:59:53(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
While the whole tea party movement should more realistically be called Glenn Beck Presents "March of the Idiots", maybe the stupidity of right wing nutbags will kick everyone into action. When it comes down to it, the whole system is ridiculous, because it costs so much fucking money just to FAIL to get elected president, yet even when the economy is in seemingly dire straits, that's the way the system works. The whole thing needs tearing down, because representative democracy as it stands clearly doesn't work.

Also, people should be forced to take some kind of mandatory test, some kind of historical, factual, current affairs test, updated every year, before they're allowed to vote. Hell, the process of becoming a nationalised US citizen if you're not born in the states requires you to know more about the country than most people who were actually born there. I figure being able to make decisions that affect a wider group of people should be a privilege given to people who understand and accept the responsibility of it, at least on a national level. Or maybe votes should be weighted on a scale. Smart people, maybe they get three points, and dumb people get one point. That way intelligent votes on important issues have more say than uninformed knee-jerk Cable News-led votes.

Of course, there is room for corruption and abuse of such a system, so I propose there be one mandatory test at the end of high school, part of the graduation process, the results of this test are then held with the voter registration and the score is never revealed. Then a person would have the right to retake this test every five years or something like that. It'd be like owning a passport or something. Of course Republicans would be like "oh we can't all go to fancy schools, we're just ordinary hard workin' folks" well fuck that shit, because the test would be easy to pass with even a basic understanding of the core concepts of American Democracy, which would be a mandatory subject in all public schools.

After all, Republicans act like when there's a Republican president, they can just sit back and trust the government and everything that happens is probably fine, but as soon as there's a Democrat in office it's "oh so now we can't even trust the government anymore..." Hello? Were any of you even paying fucking attention your whole lives. You should never just "trust" the government to do the right thing, no matter who it is. With this intelligence voting barrier, at least people will be given the incentive to pay attention even if it is their preferred party running the country.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline forkboy  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2009 14:18:50(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Yeah but that won't work because there are huge swathes of (largely but not exclusively conservatives at fault here) anti-intellectualism around America. Less of an issue of here, but it's definitely starting to creep in. But then anti-intellectualism and religious fundamentalism go hand in hand.