logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheCDs  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2009 09:05:30(UTC)
TheCDs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Genre bending rock band AXIOM has released their sophomore album after a lengthy delay. Tales of a Wasteland Hero continues the band's Axiom Saga and contains some of their most experimental recordings to date. The music press has given this album glowing reviews:

"Everything that we didn't understand from their debut makes so much more sense the second time around. This album feels more connected and less stream of thought than the debut.- Rolling Stone

"You may have to listen to it a few times before it starts to sink in, but when it does, when it actually clicks, it becomes something special."- New York Times

"If you didn't like the debut this might not work for you, but Axiom again shows us that there are still many bands willing to step away from radio friendly singles and create something with much more substance."- Q

The album is available online and at many major retailers throughout the U.S. and UK.

UserPostedImage

Tracklisting
1. Section 17: Return to Base Camp
2. Section 18: Analyze
3. Section 19: Eureka Moment
4. Section 20: Breadth of Knowledge
5. Section 21: From Yesterday Comes Tomorrow
6. Section 22: Of Beasts and Men
7. Section 23: The Cure
8. Section 24: The Cure II
9. Section 25: The Cure III
10. Section 26: Hope Dawns

This handy album companion will give you some information as to the recording of each track and its place in the storyline and was written by Tim.

Section 17: Return to Base Camp
This song picks up from the end of the Hunter EP. Our heroes have returned from the Anderson Military Base with a full vial of Genetic Advancement Project Mutagen C-14, possibly the only way to cure the meta infection and contamination of much of the world. The song is a triumphant and admittedly full of itself symphonic rock piece. There are lots of huge flowing orchestral sections and very little traditional rock band arrangements. Mike lays a fantastic piano solo down on this piece and its one of the highlights of the album.

Section 18: Analyze
Now that they have the mutagen they need to begin to analyze it for a possible cure or treatment. This one is filled with a lot of laboratory sound effects. It has a pop-punk feel to it with really simple catchy guitar riffs and a great vocal by Mike. The bridge contains some great drum work by me, if I do say so myself. This is one of the most radio friendly songs on the album and has possible future single potential.

Section 19: Eureka Moment
The breakthrough stage of the research process. The research team has found a strain of bacteria that will reverse the effects of the mutagen in all but the most severe cases. This song is a really quick paced rock song. It takes a lot of influence from The Beatles and specifically Happiness is a Warm Gun and I'm So Tired, we actually do a little homage to them in the bridge. There are layers of guitar work on this one as well as keyboard and piano work. The drum work is minimal and the bass has a really interesting syncopated pattern running on the bottom.

Section 20: Breadth of Knowledge
The research team is collecting and organizing all of the data they have at this point. This track is a short piano interlude that serves as an intro for the next track. Mike took a lot of influence from jazz pianists Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock for this one, its a nice jazz ballad inspired piece.

Section 21: From Yesterday Comes Tomorrow
The title refers to the fact that for the new day to dawn in the wasteland all that they learned before will be necessary. The team is working on applying the cure to some Meta that have been captured. Musically it is a jazz ballad solo piece by Mike. It has a fantastic vocal and piano part complete with a great solo. It is one of two tracks written by each of us solo.

Section 22: Of Beasts and Men
A band of Meta assault the camp and our hero has to drive them off while the science team flees. It is the heavy song on the album. Taking a lot of inspiration from thrash metal it is also the only song to not feature piano or keyboards. Written by Mike and I together Mike plays bass on this track as well as some additional guitar parts. I give my most intense vocal performance on the album. The solo is traded between
myself and Mike, you can tell when we switch off because Mike brings a more melodic style whereas I play a much more rhythmically and punctuated.

Sections 23-25: The Cure Suite
The cure has been completed and now our hero must go and apply it to Meta and water sources out in the wasteland. This is what we call the "dirty blues suite" because of the sound. This is heavily influenced by blues rock like Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, and Cream. The Cure is a heavy driving blues rock piece complete with solos on both piano and guitar and Mike's wailing vocals. The Cure II is a blues ballad with a strong backbeat and driving pulsing bassline. Mike again nails this vocal and I think my guitar work and solo on this track is the best I have recorded, lots of little riffs and noodling throughout this one for me. The Cure III is a big loud dirty blues rocker. I get lead vocals on this one and this track burns all the way to the end. At a little under 10 minutes there are plenty of solos, bluesy riffs, and hard rock to get your blood pumping.

Section 26: Hope Dawns
Seeing positive results from the cure our hero begins to return to the new camp with optimism for the future. This piece is my solo piece on the album. A soft acoustic rock song. I get to play just me and my acoustic. It is my favorite vocal performance of mine, I really felt like I nailed this one emotionally and musically.

The first single from the album will be Section 26: Hope Dawns, the tracklisting for the single is below:

Section 26: Hope Dawns Single
1. Section 26: Hope Dawns
2. Delirious Love (Neil Diamond cover)
3. Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac cover)
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals