logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Captain Insano  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2009 22:29:50(UTC)
Captain Insano

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
It’s been a long time coming, given it was promised just after the band had broken up but The Black Gates have finally released their choicest cuts of prog metal. All the way back from their debut ‘The Blackened Path to Destruction’ to their latest opus ‘Constellations’; they have managed to chose ten songs from an intimidating back catalogue.

‘It was so hard’ admitted guitarist Jack Barrett. ‘Rick was pulling out imaginary hairs from his head (he is bald after all!) when in discussions with myself, Eric and Paul. Having to go through some seventy songs, most of them pretty strong pieces of work, is not easy. Doing this, I was imagining how hard it would be for Sudan to go through their catalogue of some ten to fifteen albums to pick out their best.’

Eric Sanders adds his piece. ‘This covers a whole range of different material, from tech death to avante garde, progressive metal, post metal, drone and ambient epic instrumental madness and so on so basically there is…hopefully…some stuff that will please everyone though that in itself is rare when it comes to us. Though we have a loyal hardcore following, we seem to polarise people with our output’

UserPostedImage

1. Andronicus (Constellations)
2. Shrine of Ruin (Constellations)
3. Riding of the Hordes (Symbolic Failure)
4. The Forsaken Son (The Sorrowful Mystery)
5. Infidel Messiah (The Forbidden Light)
6. Into the Arms of Weeping Women (The Sorrowful Mystery)
7. Hammer of the Tyrant (Towers of Decay)
8. White Light (Equilibrium)
9. Anointed in the Blood of the Slain (Towers of Decay)
10. Ghosts of Vesuvius (The Blackened Path to Destruction)

Rick Fisher had this to add about The Black Gates.[i] ‘I apologize for not letting everyone know whats going on with us. I guess at this stage following the drawn out process that was ‘Constellations’, this is somewhat a stop gap…though the last album wasn’t all that long ago. Besides, we promised a fair while ago just after we reformed that we would put out a ‘best of’ compilation. On top of this, pretty soon will be a collection of unreleased material. There is an absolute mountain of it that goes right back to ‘Towers of Decay’. We have never released un-used stuff before because we felt it cheapened the whole process of releasing inferior music but right now, my mind has changed’

‘Between the whole band we are unsure of where to go next creatively or whether to go on at all…we have gone down so many musical avenues. There are other things outside of The Black Gates that need to be addressed…such as the new stuff from Sisyphean…which I must apologize to Lucas and Jimmy about my absolute slackness on this…which all needs to be put together as all the pieces have been done. I don’t know when, fuck I don’t know anything at this stage but it will be done. Basically we all have no idea at this stage sorry to say’

Edited by user 19 February 2010 18:08:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Gorloche  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2009 20:35:41(UTC)
Gorloche

Actually, it's more like 30-40 albums released under the Sudan name. Luckily, many of them were trilogies, which cuts that number dramatically. But it would still be pretty big.

I have to say that this is not what I would choose for a best-of for you guys, but seeing this list did spark a lot of conversation with the other guys in Sudan. We all agree, for instance, that Constellations is a step in the right direction as to where you could take the band without retreading old ground or radically leaping away. And that "Andronicus" is probably the best song on the album and a perfect choice to head up a best-of. It also got us digging into your back catalog a bit (all of us aside from Harry have been listening to more classic metal recently; you know how he loves you guys). Also, none of us could really think of a better compilation you could have made. We just kept talking about songs we would have had on and, by the time we were done, we were looking at what would have been a multi-disc box that would be pretty much all of your albums released together.

So, kudos for the ferocious restraint that must have gone into this and for creating something that really acts as a fantastic introduction to the band, covering all of your periods save for your earliest material (which was understandably dropped). Also, I'm going to publicly apologize to you here for putting our little secret project on hold for personal reasons and would like to know if you want to get back together on that.

- Daniel
Offline Captain Insano  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2009 23:12:10(UTC)
Captain Insano

I totally get what you are saying...I have a fair idea what Harry would have chosen for a 'best of' too. It was quite hard as I had pointed out...it was a massive balancing act. In all honesty there were other songs that probably gotten the nod based on their sheer monumental presence. I've seen the debate on our forums and also other metal forums as to what should have been on it and you can see how this has polarised opinion as well. Songs like 'Alone in a Sea of Angel Corpses', 'Ageless Reign', 'Bound by the Unholy Trinity' (which we haven't played live in years), 'Conspiracy of Sin','The Dreadful Burden' (which was one that Harry wrote on The Sorrowful Mystery) just to name few, have been hotly debated and dissected and what not. It's amazing to see the passion that was generated by this...cant wait to see what our unreleased collection will do either. And yeah, 30-40 albums...that is just fucking nuts...up against our pissy six or seven. Hah. Anyway's lets get that little secret project going again eh? That was coming along nicely too.

Rick Fisher
UserPostedImage

Offline Paradox  
#4 Posted : 25 December 2009 13:36:10(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Hey, quite a killer album, I never expected a compilation from you guys but well it's still pure killer, well thanks a lot for recommending us, it was you right?, oh and looking forward to any new Sisyphean stuff if there'll be any.

-Eric
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Captain Insano  
#5 Posted : 25 December 2009 23:17:35(UTC)
Captain Insano

Yeah, it was me...I wondered whether Daniel got that email or not. We have been quietly fans of yours for awhile now. Why we haven't vocalized it yet, I dont know but anyway, there definately be new Sisyphean material coming up..that is a promise and I dont break them.

Rick Fisher
UserPostedImage

Offline Thorgrim  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2009 02:03:27(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Fuck me fellas, you've done it again. I can't remember the last time I heard such an absolutely skullcrushing death metal platter. Hammer of the Tyrants has one of the greatest riffs I've heard in years. Any chance you'd like to see this released on vinyl?

- Hans
Offline Captain Insano  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2009 12:06:25(UTC)
Captain Insano

Interesting proposition there Hans...I think in the past when we were with O.F.O.H.A Records, we had 'The Sorrowful Mystery' come out on vinyl but I am not sure, I've heard of them been in existance. So yes, I would be massively interested in that

Rick Fisher
UserPostedImage

Offline Captain Insano  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2009 17:57:19(UTC)
Captain Insano

'‘Hello to all loyal fans, Rick here…couple of important evens to communicate. As promised in our last update, we have compiled a reasonable collection of our unreleased material and put it together as a collectors edition. It’s got some cool liner notes that go right back to the record of some of our earlier demo’s. I am somewhat of a horder and have a desk full of old written material and tapes and CD’s and videos going far back to 1993. All of this video footage was digitally updated and put onto a second disc which runs for some forty minutes and is worth having a peak at, just to see how crazy George Rutan, our old bassist was…and to hear some of the random shit that came out of his mouth.

So basically, the material spans from ‘Inconsolable’, our second demo (there was nothing of use from ‘Invocation of the Wrath of the Gods of War’) all the way to several of the early stage material for ‘Equilbrium’ that was eventually scrapped. The pick of the bunch would be sort of ‘part two’ song ‘Bound by the Unholy Trinity; Fear, Emptiness, Despair’ which is a continuation from the original ‘Bound by the Unholy Trinity’ that came out just before we released our second album after the bands return.

It was supposed to be on ‘Equilibrium’ but we found it’s more traditional tech death structures didn’t suit the heavy prog vibe of that record but it is still a very good song. As always these sort of things will be of interest mostly to the hardcore fans, which is cool. I’ve always thought that I’d never do something like this but time sooths such rough opposition and am totally at ease releasing material that was considered inferior at the time.'

UserPostedImage
1. Salvation
2. Bound by the Unholy Trinity; Fear. Emptiness. Despair
3. Bitter Revelations
4. Desolation
5. Welcome End
6. Bleak Shores
7. A Gold Grasp
8. Fragments
9. An Enemy Within
10. The Divine (Sudan)

'Now...importantly also, The Black Gates will be embarking on our first major world tour in god knows how long. It will be taking in Europe, UK, Australia and the US so there will be plenty of dates for each country, no one will have any excuse in not been able to catch us. THis is important to us as we haven't done something like this since, well the 'Towering Decay' world tour some years back. A band such as us should really be getting out there and showing the fans what they want; we haven't done it enough and its long over due. So, dates will be up shortly and an announcement on possible support acts...if you want, just let me know if your interested in playing for a single show or a whole heap. Cheers!'

Rick Fisher

UserPostedImage

Offline Gorloche  
#9 Posted : 29 December 2009 07:56:08(UTC)
Gorloche

Having heard bits and pieces of this before it was compiled, I can say that this is probably one of the coolest packages you can get of this type. You get liner notes that go into such a great amount of depth that it feels like a tiny book, tons of video footage from all over, some of the best fucking songs the Black Gates have written (it will make sense when you hear them why they didn't appear on any album, though) and it's incredibly affordable. You get a lot and they don't rip you off for it. Rick really loves his fans.

Also, it's been a while and the Theosophical Society is on a bit of a break when it comes to touring together, so how about Sudan hops on as support for the tour? That would also give time to... Almost said it!

- Harry
Offline Captain Insano  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2009 15:25:12(UTC)
Captain Insano

From enterthegates.com come the first dates for the 'Constellations' world tour...American and Canadian dates first beginning on the 4th of January and ending on the 9th of February, all been one off shows, with local supports and special guests.

San Francisco -4/1/10
Los Angeles -5/12/10
San Diego -6/12/10
Las Vegas -8/12/10
Salt Lake City -10/1/10
Portland -11/1/10
Seattle -12/1/10
Sacramento -13/1/10
Vancouver -18/1/10
Toronto -19/1/10
Montreal -20/1/10
Minneapolis -22/1/10
Milwaukee -23/1/10
Green Bay -24/1/10
Chicago -26/1/10
Detroit -27/1/10
Indianapolis -29/1/10
New York -2/2/10
Atlantic City -3/2/10
Boston -5/2/10
Miami -6/2/10
New Orleans -7/2/10
Houston -9/2/10
UserPostedImage

Offline Captain Insano  
#11 Posted : 03 January 2010 11:09:01(UTC)
Captain Insano

From enterthegates.com, posts Rick Fisher 'Well everyone, the tour kicks off tomorrow and unfortunatley we have had a major stuff around with our tour promoter who was SUPPOSED to organise special guests and local supports but they failed to manange that routine task. Which means we had to hastily do it ourself. So I personally am announcing that The Transferium Project which be joining us for the 'Constellations' tour which is fantastic news, hopefully shortly I will have news as to our other special guests as news to hand. All the stuffing around is behind us and I hope we can treat the fans to some genuinely epic metal madness. See you's in San Francisco!'
UserPostedImage

Offline Captain Insano  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2010 19:15:18(UTC)
Captain Insano

Some final words from enterthegates.com prior to the tour...

'Hey all, things are about to get hectic as we kick off our world tour. Just dropping in to let you know some great news; good buddies and allround prog legends Sudan will be joining us for the length of the tour, along with Transferium Project, so basically it's one big prog metal wankfest...in a good way. Plus we at The Black Gates and Sudan are going to have some nice, tasty little treats for you to feast upon. You wont be dissapointed. You know where to find out about the tour. Adios!

Rick Fisher
UserPostedImage

Offline Captain Insano  
#13 Posted : 19 February 2010 18:17:45(UTC)
Captain Insano

Belated update from the battle front by Rick Fisher....

'G'day from Prague, what a fucking city this is...just beautiful. So sorry for the silence on our behalf regarding our awesome 'Constellations' tour. We have been having a great time with the guys from Transferium Project and Sudan, it's just been an amazing mish mash of epic, prog, melodic, tech metal. Each venue has been sold out and the crowds just utterly enthusiastic. Have been having alot of fun with the Sudan boys unvealing some special material that has been bubbling in the background as part of our collaboration's in the past. It's gone down pretty well and as soon as the tour is done we will have to get around to going in the studio and putting it out on disc. If you haven't heard it, you will not be dissapointed. So, we are in Europe until the 3rd of March, finishing in Paris before we take on the UK for the rest of March before going out with a bang in Australia, which is a fitting location to finish our tour given our roots there.

Some other news at hand is that finally, once this tour is done, Jack and myself will finally, finally, finally put out Sisyphean's comeback album that has been sitting gathering dust in the background, so Lucas and Jimmy can stop fucking hounding me about haha. Must be off, soon to hit the road into countries yonder! Stay stuned and stay metal.'

Edited by user 19 February 2010 18:18:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage