logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline snap_itshannah  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2013 23:25:05(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 6355 time(s) in 2888 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Album Title: My Phoenixes
Artists: Vile Hour (N. Fischer & C. Drake)
Label: Chaos Records
Length: 63:03
Personnel:
Nichole Fischer - vocals, piano, lyricist, composer, songwriter
Castor Drake - drums, guitar, backing vocals

"One of the most impressive aspects of Vile Hour's music is that it is so diverse. From songs such as My Own Personal Oz, which remind us of Kimya Dawson's quick-paced, folksy tunes, to songs like For My Father, the only song to date by Vile Hour that has been solely written by drummer, Castor Drake, that remind us more of Rilo Kiley's indie rock sound, and then even songs like So Pretty; So Lonely and I Don't Know If This is a Love Song (feat. Ryan Williams), which can only be describing as sounding like Vile Hour themselves, every song on Vile Hour's sophomore album is connected by one thing: Emotion. And it is precisely that emotion that makes My Phoenixes such an impressive second album. Teeming with the type of anti-folk energy that, before now, it was thought only singers such as Regina Spektor could pull off, My Phoenixes gets as much mileage out of its massively heart-wrenching songs as it does from Nichole Fischer's indomitable sneer. Songs on the album such as The Single Song, sung with Clara Thompson, which is a humorously blistering taunt towards all of Nichole's exes, while other standout songs like Like Snakes (a very successful single) is so bare and full of emotion that it sounds as if Nichole Fischer will start crying as she sings. Vile Hour also pulls off an impressive metaphor in 'My Phoenixes,' with the phoenixes representing Nichole Fischer's future children (Fischer was between three and six months pregnant with triplets throughout the writing, recording, and releasing of the album). Even in the most serious of songs, Fischer still shows some humor, like in Plan B, where the double meaning of an actual alternative plan and the Plan B pill are the center of the song. The several collaborations throughout the album (Ryan Williams -- formerly of Misery Loves Company -- of PURE, Clara Thompson, Katie Coyle, and Billie Beckett of Reported Failure) are some of the best songs on the album, but also prove to us that Vile Hour is making their name known again since their #1 debut album. Charmingly blunt and unpolished, My Phoenixes instantly casts Vile Hour as a distinct talent among their established -- and more mainstream -- contemporaries." -- Allmusic

Tracklist:
1. Here in Detroit
2. My Own Personal Oz
3. I Don't Know If This is a Love Song (feat. Ryan Williams)
4. So Pretty; So Lonely
5. The Single Song (feat. Clara Thompson)
6. For My Father
7. My Future Twentieth High School Reunion
8. Like Snakes
9. Plan B
10. The Siren Song (feat. Katie Coyle)
11. Home
12. Sympathies with Satan
13. Without You
14. Goodbye
15. Berlin Wall
16. My Phoenixes
17. Hole
18. End of the World (feat. Billie Beckett)
19. See You Again

Edited by user 25 July 2013 22:58:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 15/07/2013(UTC), erich hess on 15/07/2013(UTC), kandii on 15/07/2013(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 15/07/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 16/07/2013(UTC), niggajones on 17/07/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/07/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2013 02:16:07(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Ooc - looking forward to this. Always love a bit of Vile Hour. Looking good so far.
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#3 Posted : 15 July 2013 02:17:23(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Ooc - looking forward to this. Always love a bit of Vile Hour. Looking good so far.

OOC: :) thank you! I hope it's not a total failure. :)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#4 Posted : 15 July 2013 02:43:53(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3950 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne - I can't wait to buy this album, it will be my must buy

OOC - Well done this album is looking great love it :)
UserPostedImage
Offline snap_itshannah  
#5 Posted : 15 July 2013 02:48:49(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Amy-Jayne - I can't wait to buy this album, it will be my must buy

OOC - Well done this album is looking great love it :)

Nichole: Woohooo! :)

OOC: Thank you!
Offline snap_itshannah  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2013 12:04:55(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: Here in Detroit
BY: Vile Hour (N. Fischer and C. Drake)
WRITTEN BY: N. Fischer
GENRE: Punk rock, indie rock, alternative rock
LABEL: Chaos Records

Vile Hour starts off their sophomore album with a very Vile Hour-esque song: A song with an upbeat tune, but a darker meaning. The song is obviously about a relationship that not everybody is too excited about. To Nichole, - or to the woman who is portraying in her song - she doesn't much care about what the man she's sleeping with's friends think (or what anybody thinks) at all, but she can feel that her lover is starting to drift away from her. She asks "why are you not in Detroit?" to him, as Detroit is Nichole's home town. This can be interpreted as her lover has simply left town, and she is asking why; it can also be interpreted as he is not with her in Detroit mentally, and he is thinking about something or somebody else that is not here. She cries out, "put your feet somewehre close to my floor," wanting him back where she is, and then asking again why he isn't there with her.

In the second verse, Nichole begins to reveal that she can see just as well as anybody how her realtionship with this fellow is hitting a rough patch. "We wept on the inside, the outside kept talking," Nichole sings, showing the pain that both of them are hiding from each other. "Because we knew we'd fit together like continents / In the eyes of children who've just learned geography," she continues. When children are first learning about continents, they don't see the continents as how it all used to be one big mass, so they don't see how they could match up. She uses this image to explain her relationship with her lover, saying that they don't match up with each other anymore, but they keep trying to act like they do. She finishes the verse by stating that each of them have different reasons for being in this relationship (And I had a lover / And you had a ticket): Nichole's reason for being in the relationship being for the sex and the emotion bonding with another human being, while her lover's reason for being in it is a ticket, like a ticket to the concerts that Nichole was playing in or were going to. The very last line of the second verse is Nichole stating that, given a few hours together, rather than talking about their relationship and where it's going, they have sex instead, ignoring the idea that they might ever come to an end.

The third verse is when the relationship is ending, or has already ended, and Nichole and her lover are coming to grips with that fact. Nichole seems to have come to an understanding with herself and the relationship, knowing all along that it was never going to work out between them anyways. She sings, "But at least we weren't arrested / For teaching the children about the birds and the bees / Or the birds and the birds," saying that the ending of the relationship was painful, but it could be worse: They could have been arrested for it. She adds in her own little joke with "or the birds and the birds," since it's very possible that the lover that Nichole is talking to is a woman, since Nichole is openly bisexual. She finishes her third verse by saying that she wished that they could have worked it out, but there was no way they could of because both of them are too impatient and stubborn to work on their relationship together. She sings the chorus again, but this time it's different, no longer asking why her lover isn't with her, but saying that it's good that they aren't, as Detroit/Nichole is obviously not what they want anymore. She finishes the song with a metaphorical outreached hand, saying that, if her lover ever wanted to come back, there would always be a place for them in Detroit with Nichole.

For such a depressing subject matter, the song is fairly upbeat, starting off the album with a 90s punk dance party sort of song. Although Nichole's lyrics show that she's obviously hurting because of this realtionship and it's break-up, the beat and tune of the song seem to be shouting "FUCK YOU!" at anybody who has ever or will ever hurt Nichole. Nichole sings ever line so quickly that some of the lyrics would get lost if you weren't listening closely to what she was saying. It's obviously a punk rock influenced song that makes you want to jump on your bed as you dance like a fool with your best gay friend.

I wake with you hand on my shoulder
It's colder outside, where they don't know we're naked
And all of your friends leave messages
That suggest we should not be doing what we're doing
But we do not care, and where there is air, we'll be breathing
Believe me, where there's warmth, we'll share

And why are you not in Detroit?
It's colder here, you know
And the stars are obscured by the sky
And why are you not in Detroit?
There's art in the streets
Put your feet somewhere close to my floor
And why
Are you
Not in Detroit?

Under the house of someone I once slept with
We wept on the inside, the outside kept talking
Because we knew we'd fit together like continents
In the eyes of children who've just learned geography
And I had a lover
And you had a ticket
We wickedly took off with the few hours left to us

And still you're not here in Detroit
It's colder here, you know
And the stars arent't as obscured by the sky
And why are you still not in Detroit?
There's art in the streeets
Put your feet somewhere close to my floor
And why
Are you still
Not in Detroit?

I caught you peeking
When you thought I'd be sleeping
We caught not a wink
For the heat we were breathing
No, there was no rest
But at least we weren't arrested
For teaching the children about the birds and the bees
Or the birds and the birds
But I wish you had turned when I had turned back
I'd turn back the clocks if I thought we could stay still long enough

So maybe it's good
You're not here in Detoit
It's colder here, you see
And the stars aren't as bright as you'd like
But still, there's a place for you in Detroit
My heart's on my sleeve
Wish you feet would come darken my door

You
You and me
I mean, we
Could both be
Here in Detroit
Here in Detroit
Here in Detroit

SOUNDS LIKE:
Ida Maria - Morning Light

Edited by user 15 July 2013 12:05:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
kandii on 15/07/2013(UTC), erich hess on 15/07/2013(UTC), Osprey037[Reported Failure] on 15/07/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 15/07/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/07/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Offline Osprey037[Reported Failure]  
#7 Posted : 15 July 2013 14:37:04(UTC)
Osprey037[Reported Failure]

Was thanked: 1780 time(s) in 805 post(s)
OOC: Vile Hour is just too fun. I enjoy everything you have them do.

Billie: This album is going to be great. I hope your fans, and my fans enjoy the song we did. I haven't heard the rest of it yet, but if our song and this one are any indication, then this should be a fantastic record.
UserPostedImage
I might give Satan a swirly
Offline snap_itshannah  
#8 Posted : 15 July 2013 23:39:15(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
OOC: Vile Hour is just too fun. I enjoy everything you have them do.

Billie: This album is going to be great. I hope your fans, and my fans enjoy the song we did. I haven't heard the rest of it yet, but if our song and this one are any indication, then this should be a fantastic record.

OOC: :) thank you so much! You're too sweet.

Nichole: Awww, thank you, Billie! I hope everybody else enjoys this album as much as I do. And thank you so much for working with me on our song! It's brilliant! :)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2013 09:42:49(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: My Own Personal Oz
BY: Vile Hour (N. Fischer and C. Drake)
GENRE: Folk

Vile Hour switches the genre of music they're playing from the punk rock sound straight into a folk sound. The piano and drums that Vile Hour are known for completely disperse, now with only Castor Drake playing guitar as Nichole Fischer sings. Why does Vile Hour do this? Because they fucking can. When you're in a genre of your own (punk cabaret), you can do things like this without them being completely questioned. After all, this is Vile Hour, and if you didn't expect weirdness out of Vile Hour... well, then what did you expect?

The song, rightfully titled My Own Personal Oz, is another example of a fast-paced fun-sounding song that have very very dark lyrics. The song uses imagery from The Wizard of Oz to show a battle with depressing and search for self-worth in a person's mind. The song starts with a very obvious The Wizard of Oz reference, saying, "My brain is made of straw / and my heart was forged from tin / my courage, although fierce, is endangered." Nichole insults herself using what the Scarecrow (straw), Tin Man (tin), and Lion (endangered) all wanted from the Wizard at the end of the movie. In the next couple of lines, she refers to the flying monkeys as "my monkeys," although her monkeys have no wings. This could be talking about Nichole's friends and the people that help her with her tasks. In the movie, the flying monkeys were used as the Witch's henchmen, so it could be easily said that Nichole is calling her own friends evil in helping her. Perhaps her friends are the ones that are making her feel so worthless? In the next few line she says, "My path is paved in gold and filled with strangers / and the city, made of green / was a mirage filled with diversions / you'll notice when the smoke has cleared away." Nichole is talking about her career now, saying that the road that she's taken in the music industry made itself seem like it was brilliant and beautiful, when it's really all an illusion. Although Nichole seems like a very confident woman, especially in her looks and in herself, she has had a tendency to compare herself to other women in the music industry. Feeling less pretty, as she does have a much more complex look to her than some of the other more popular stars do, she may lower her idea of self-worth, causing her to feel depressed and lonely. "That wizard was a hoax / and this old witch is scared of water" she continues to say, pointing out how fake people can be in the industry as well. "And home is always just three clicks away," she finishes.

But Nichole can't go home because, as she tells us in her next verse, her home as been "... blown away / by a modern age tornado." Nichole feels alone in this industry. She has stated before in one of her many blogs that both of her parents are microbiologists, so it's easy to assume that her parents aren't exactly thrilled with Nichole choosing this career path. Nichole has, several times, mentioned how alone she feels when she sees her husband out on tour, as Nichole, during the time of writing and recording this song, was six months pregnant, and couldn't tour or have fun (or at least she wasn't supposed to. That didn't stop her from being a headliner for the No Venues III tour this year, being four months pregnant throughout all of it). Nichole continues to say "... everything is black and white / Except these choices I am making / About the colored boxes I could fit in." To anybody who pays attention to Vile Hour, this line would be slightly ironic, since in every public picture of Nichole Fischer and Castor Drake you'll ever see, they're both mainly wearing black and white, with their faces whited out to look like mimes. Nichole means the line less literally, and more figuratively. In her mind, everybody else in the industry tends to have a very cookie cutter attitude, making the same cookie cutter music and having the same cookie cutter drama. Nichole's music and drama don't belong in the "black and white" area of music; Nichole's music has it's own colorful boxes that it fits in. This is just her, once again, attacking the rest of the music industry.

After the second verse, the guitar stops and all you can hear is Nichole as she begins to hum to tune to Somewhere Over the Rainbow. She sings a capella her own lyrics to it: "I'm somewhere / Under the rainbow / Way down low." The guitar starts right back up again and they go back into their fast-paced folk music sound. She then sings twice, "I'm under the waves and I am under the weather / I'm under the pump and I am under the pressure / And I am under the spell of a life lived in leisure / And I am underperforming and so under-pleasured," her voice growing in anticipation for the next verse as she complains about her life, an air of regret in the song before launching into the third and final verse. She talks about her friends that she's made while she's been famous, stating that their "plight" is never going to end, and they aren't worth answer why, so there's no point in asking anymore. Nichole ends the song on a rather depressing note, finishing it simply by saying that things are never really going to get better and she's done trying to make them so.

The song, as stated before, is a rather up-beat, happy sounding song, although the lyrics are so full of malice and depression that it's hard to image it as happy at all. The tune of the song could be viewed as ironic because of the lyrics, but many people have viewed the whole song as a metaphor for a crying for help; Nichole's voice and tone match one of a happy song, while what she's actually saying is terribly depressing and worrisome if you actually listen to her.

My brain is made of straw
And my heart was forged from tin
My courage, although fierce, is endangered
My sunflowers still grow
Though my monkeys have no wings
My path is paved in gold and filled with strangers
And the city, made of green
Was a mirage filled with diversions
You'll notice when the smoke has cleared away
That that wizard was a hoax
And this old witch is scared of water
And home is always just three clicks away

Away...
Away...

My home was blown away
By a modern-age tornado
My aunt and uncle now live far away
And the lady riding by
Doesn't seem to make much progress
She's always exercising, night and day
And everything is black and white
Except these choices I am making
About the colored boxes I could fit in
And the room, it gently spins
Like a politician's promise
To fix the weather with a weathered wallet
That she's going to thrown away

Away...
Away...

I'm somewhere
Under the rainbow
Way down low

I'm under the waves and I am under the weather
I'm under the pump and I am under the pressure
And I am under the spell of a life lived in leisure
And I am underperforming and so under-pleasured

I'm under the waves and I am under the weather
I'm under the pump and I am under the pressure
And I am under the spell of a life lived in leisure
And I am underperforming and so under-pleasured
Pleasured...

And that road, it kept on winding
My companions were finding
That their memberships were ripe for cancelling
And that road, it kept on going
I left my friends there, knowing
Their questions were not fit for answering
No
My questions are not fit for answering

SOUNDS LIKE:
Kimya Dawson - Loose Lips

Edited by user 16 July 2013 09:44:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
kandii on 16/07/2013(UTC), erich hess on 16/07/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 16/07/2013(UTC), niggajones on 17/07/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/07/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2013 11:17:32(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: I Don't Know If This is a Love Song (feat. Ryan Williams)
BY: Vile Hour (N. Fischer and C. Drake) & R. Willaims
GENRE: Dark cabaret, piano rock, alternative rock

Furthering the Vile Hour tradition of putting happy tunes on depressing lyrics, this song does quite the opposite: If you were just simply listen to the song, you would think that both Nichole Fischer and her guest on the song, Ryan Williams, of both Misery Loves Company and PURE fame, would be angrily singing about their lives or the world around them. But upon second listen, focusing on the lyrics, you would hear them singing about somebody that they obviously care deeply about. The title lyric ("I don't know if this is a love song") seems all the more justified as the listeners hear the song, as it is very hard to tell if this is a love song or not. Both of the voices, when singing alone, are altered to sound electronic and distant until they sing together. Their voices suddenly become normal and unaltered when they sing together, giving the song a disoriented feeling. The fast pace of the song also makes the lyrics hard to hear at some points, both of their voices getting occasionally lost in the chaos of the instruments and the voice-altering effects. Maybe a song about a relationship that nobody else but the people in it believe in isn't an original idea, but Vile Hour and Ryan Williams make it original.

The lyrics, along with the voice altering, gives the song a sort of "bad acid trip" feeling. In the song, the singers reference The Green Woman and The Oak Men, both of which could either be another reference to The Wizard of Oz (the Green Woman being the Wicked Witch, and the Oak Men being the forest that comes to life and attacking Dorothy and her companions), or it could be a reference to alcohol (The Green Woman being absinthe and the Oak Men being a reference to how wine is aged in oak). Both the Green Woman and the Oak Men tell Nichole and Ryan that their love isn't going to last, but that they don't need somebody else in their life to make them happy - they just need themselves.

The chorus, which asks the question if this song is a love song or not, adds its own element to the song when they sing, "We met each other's matches / Then we set the house on fire / And our faces glowed, our faces glowed." If the couple that Nichole and Ryan are singing as are in love, it is obviously a very unhealthy, destructive love, and one that will probably end in heartache or disaster. Perhaps both members of the couple know this and don't care, or have yet to come to this conclusion, but its obvious that the listeners shouldn't have too much faith in the couple and their relationship.

Nichole
Ryan
Both

I tried to write you a tango
But all we could do was stumble

And I wanted to whisper in your ear
But all that came out was a jumble of mumbles
I don't know you wanted to hear

And I don't know if this a love song
But you have made your mark
You have made your mark

We met each other's matches
Then we set the house on fire
And our faces glowed in the flame light

So hold out, hold out, hold out your palm
And offer it to me, offer it to me
And give me, give me, give me something real
So real that I can hardly breathe

The Green Woman, she said,
"You know this can't last,
So stick your tongue out at life
And just get what you can, what you can
While you can
And you can."

We sharpened our claws on each other
Didn't leave a scratch
No, we didn't leave a scratch
But you tap, tap, tapped my body's hollows
To the count of three (one, two)
To the count of three
One, two, three

And the Oak Men said to me,
"Look inside yourself
And you'll find what you need
What you need."
While you need
And I need...

And I'm not sure if this is a love song
You have made your mark
And our faces glowed, our faces glowed

And I can't tell if this is a love song
You have made your mark
Oh, how our faces glowed in the flame light

SOUNDS LIKE:
The Dresden Dolls - Necessary Evil

thanks 5 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 17/07/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 18/07/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 18/07/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 19/07/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/07/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#11 Posted : 18 July 2013 01:46:37(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Honor: So far, my favorite is 'My Own Personal Oz', genius! I'm so anxious to hear the rest of the album, it's sounding fantastic so far.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

Offline genocidal king  
#12 Posted : 18 July 2013 01:49:51(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Scott RH: Y'all know how I love Vile Hour more than anything. But I was worried about you guys doing a new album....not because I expected your skills to drop - purely because my expectations were so high. Already, I'm happy to say I haven't been disappointed. My Own Personal Oz is brilliant, shows a much softer side musically for you guys. Stripped back and lovely.

OOC - I love that Juno OST.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 18/07/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#13 Posted : 18 July 2013 01:49:54(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Honor: So far, my favorite is 'My Own Personal Oz', genius! I'm so anxious to hear the rest of the album, it's sounding fantastic so far.

Nichole: Aw, thanks, Honor! But we think you'll have a few favorites by the time the album is over. ;)
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 18/07/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#14 Posted : 18 July 2013 01:52:29(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
Scott RH: Y'all know how I love Vile Hour more than anything. But I was worried about you guys doing a new album....not because I expected your skills to drop - purely because my expectations were so high. Already, I'm happy to say I haven't been disappointed. My Own Personal Oz is brilliant, shows a much softer side musically for you guys. Stripped back and lovely.

OOC - I love that Juno OST.

Castor: Thank you so much, man. We enjoyed making this album much more than we did our debut one, and we think it'll show through the music. Thanks so much again!

OOC: Kimya Dawson never fails to blow me away. The whole Juno soundtrack is really just fantastic.
thanks 1 user thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
genocidal king on 18/07/2013(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#15 Posted : 18 July 2013 02:45:10(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
OOC: This look undeniably amazing! The lyrics, the descriptions the concept, you're going to write one of the best recent album RPs. I'm anxious about the rest of it.
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#16 Posted : 18 July 2013 02:55:02(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

Quote:
OOC: This look undeniably amazing! The lyrics, the descriptions the concept, you're going to write one of the best recent album RPs. I'm anxious about the rest of it.

OOC: Oh my gosh, thank you so much. :) really, thank you. That just made my month.
Offline snap_itshannah  
#17 Posted : 18 July 2013 11:04:17(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: So Pretty; So Lonely
BY: Vile Hour (N. Shade & C. Drake)
WRITTEN BY: N. Fischer & C. Drake
GENRE: Cabaret, indie

The whole song is just done on the piano with Nichole singing. It is a simple melody, going from middle C, D, F, middle C, and then doing a downward cycle into the lower F. (OOC: excuse me if I’m using incorrect phrases. I’m a bit rusty when it comes to the piano.) This melody repeats over and over again in the song. It’s a child-like song, with Nichole’s voice very bouncy and happy throughout it.

I have a little house
Close to town, but not to the city
Far from home, but near my family
No water views, but so close to the sea
I see
This is how my little life could be

And I’m filling it with things
Like furniture I find on the street
And all the special things I’d like to eat
Pictures of people that I’d like to meet
I’ll meet them when I’m orbiting the world

The song continues to same melody, but two octaves lower, Nichole’s voice taking on a more depressing sound.

And it’s so pretty
And so lonely

The song goes back to the original, happy, bouncy melody with Nichole’s happy, bouncy voice.

My lovely love affairs
Are all scheduled around the TV guide
And my sex life has all be plagiarized
In an attempt to meet a harsh deadline

I’d like to rent-a-wife
Then rent a husband to keep me for life
The three of us, we could be so happy
Them with each other, me with company
I’ll see them off on a flight around the world

The song continues to same melody, but two octaves lower, Nichole’s voice taking on a more depressing sound.

And it’s so pretty
And so lonely

The song goes back to the original, happy, bouncy melody with Nichole’s happy, bouncy voice, even though she’s singing about depressing things.

And at my funeral
They will say, “Nichole, she was such a nice girl,
She went too early, but she went in style.”
They’ll play my music, and then they will cry

They’ll have a little wake
They’ll drink bad wine and they’ll eat lemon cake
And my mother’s little heart will break
And she’ll say:

Nichole’s voice tries to maintain the same happy melody, but she starts going into the well-known Vile Hour screaming:

“Wait! There must be some mistake!
She can’t be dead!
Take me instead!”

The screaming voice continues as the melody goes back down two octaves, the song taking on a sinister feel.

Oh, but I’m not dead
They tell me I’m not dead
They say that I’m not dead
And I won’t die for some time

The song goes back into the original melody, Nichole’s voice sounding normal again as it slowly starts to fade along with the piano.

I’m in my little house
Just writing little songs to pass the time
Which, incidentally, is precisely nine
So don’t you worry, I’m completely fine
I’m fine

The piano has completely faded out by now, and Nichole’s voice is practically a whisper as she sings the last line:

I am just so fucking fine
thanks 2 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 18/07/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 19/07/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#18 Posted : 18 July 2013 14:42:12(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: The Single Song (feat. Clara Thompson)
BY: Vile Hour (N. Shade & C. Drake) & C. Thompson
WRITTEN BY: N. Fischer & C. Drake
GENRE: Dark cabaret, piano rock, alternative rock

"This is probably the song that I enjoy the most," Nichole has said when talking about the album. "It was the most fun to record, it was the most fun to write, it was the most fun to listen to afterwards. We took the mixture of two of our favorite song themes - disappointment and exes - and then made a song about it with Clara Thompson, who is so absolutely adorable that it's hard not to love her."

As many people may remember, Nichole Fischer went on Twitter a few months before the releasing of Vile Hour's newest album, and asked for people to either DM or RT her their most embarrassing/horrific/upsetting break up stories, either telling how they were broken up with or why. She didn't say why exactly at the time, but this very song is the reason. Nichole and Clara sing are two brokenhearted women who have completely given up on relationships and - as they repeat over and over again - are staying single. Nichole says at one point that she realizes that her lack of romance is turning herself into a nun (And at night there's no finer / Than being home with wine / And I'm ignoring all the signs of my own nunnery), while Clara states that she's afraid to love somebody because if she did, they could use her love against her (But if someone were to love me / They might hold that love above me / And I'd never get enough of all their wants and needs). Both of the girls give their reasons for not wanting to be in a relationship, which are all reasons that women - at one point or another - have experienced. But their loneliness and depression is heavily outweighed by all the hurt that they've experienced from past lovers - so much so that they don't care about being single while the rest of their friends run off with their boyfriends and lovers.

Nichole adds some of her own break up stories into the mix ("You left me for a midget Nazi / So I'm staying single" & "You took all of my money and ran away to Canberra / What the fuck is the point of Canberra as a city anyway?"), all of which we wanted to hear more about. Hopefully one day she'll write songs about those break up. But then she turns the song around to being less about her break-ups, and more about the breakups of people who contacted her when she asked for it. Nichole and Clara had taken all of the breakup stories that Nichole had received when she asked for some over Twitter, written them down, and put them into a bucket between them in the recording session, picking the stories out of the bucket at random and reading them into the mic. In the last half of the song, as Nichole and Clara are reading the responses they had gotten, you can hear them digging in the bucket and giggling a little before the sing the response, trying to keep it with the beat of the piano that is constantly playing the same tune over and over until they've finished. It's an entertaining moment of the album as you can clearly hear Clara and Nichole having fun and laughing as they read the responses, sometimes fully gasping out in laughter before they're able to be calm enough to read some. Nichole reads the last response (""My girlfriend left me for a man while I was on a reality TV show, fooling around with another woman...") with some hesitation, fully bursting out in laughter when she gets to the "another woman" part. This message was clearly from Erica Hess, whom Nichole Fischer fooled around with on Big Brother. Erica Hess' girlfriend at the time was Nina Sangria, who later married the other half of Vile Hour, Castor Drake.

Nichole ends the song on a happy note, singing, "Your name is Sam / So I'm staying... / In a totally committed relationship now." This is a shoutout to Nichole's husband, Sam Fischer, who she is happily married to and was carrying his children at the time of this album's release.

The song's general feeling is joyful, yet intense. The two women singing are obviously okay with being single to begin with, but become angrier and angrier the more they think about the reasons why they're single, and the people that have made them so bitter towards love. Nichole, as always, mostly uses her guttural singing as the song goes on - until, of course, they reach the reading of the confessions, where she goes back to her normal - almost speaking - voice. Clara Thompson keeps her same clear, sweet voice throughout the song, which is a major contrast to the way Nichole Fischer sounds. The juxtaposition between the two women's voices shows how every woman of every walk of life, so to speak, has had that one lover that made them question love all together. And that's what this whole song is all about, of course. Questioning if love is even worth it.

Nichole
Clara
Both

Everyone I flirt with has another lover, I discover
Or they want to keep me for eternity

Everyone I sleep with have a pre-existing non-commitment
Or need a place to live with urgency

And where's the fun in that?
No, thanks
I think I'm staying single

The ants go marching two-by-two into the night without emerging
Urging me to stay at home and watch TV

And at five AM, I hear them screaming empty words devoid of meaning
It could be orgasm or agony

And where's the fun in that?!
Fuck, I don't know, Nichole...

And at night there's no finer
Than being home with wine
And I'm ignoring all the signs of my own nunnery

But if someone were to love me
They might hold that love above me
And I'd never get enough of all their wants and needs

They'd play the game and then I'd lose
I'd rip it up and kill the mood
And then I'd give them attitude

No way

Fuck you!
Oh, wait, no, let's not
Because I'm staying single

Keep yourself to yourself
I am staying single

I don't really care if you're in an open relationship
That still means you're taken, fuckwit
I am staying single

You left me for a midget Nazi
So I'm staying single

You took all of my money and ran away to Canberra
What the fuck is the point of Canberra as a city anyway?
I'm staying single

(PAUSE)

"Turns out we were related."
So I'm staying single

"Dumped at a soroity ball. Woke up next to her roommate. Unwittingly one month later..."
I'm staying single

"His sister was in love with me, and when I told him, his reaction was like, 'Uh, yeah, I knew that."
So I'm fucking staying single

"He broke up with me using a link to a Taylor Swift song."
So I'm staying single

"I learned the hard way you can't text message breakup. Frowny face."
So I'm staying single

"On Facebook, through a private message to all of her friends, EXCEPT ME."
I'm staying single

"My dad caught his girlfriend fucking his dog. True story."
So I'm staying single

"My girlfriend's dad caught me smoking pot inside his house."
I'm staying single

"I've never had a boyfriend so, like, fuck you."
I'm staying single

"My boyfriend called my parents to tell them he was married."
I'm staying god damn single

"My boyfriend got deported to Canada, and I haven't seen him since."
So I'm staying single

"He edited his new girlfriend's face over mine in a sex tape we made and sent it to me."
That's why I'm staying single

"My girlfriend left me for a man while I was on a reality TV show, fooling around with another woman..."
I'm staying single

Your name is Sam
So I'm staying...
In a totally committed relationship now

SOUNDS LIKE:
The Dresden Dolls - Backstabber

Edited by user 18 July 2013 14:43:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 19/07/2013(UTC), erich hess on 19/07/2013(UTC), niggajones on 19/07/2013(UTC)
Offline snap_itshannah  
#19 Posted : 19 July 2013 03:22:06(UTC)
snap_itshannah

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage
TITLE: For My Father
BY: Vile Hour (N. Fischer & C. Drake)
WRITTEN BY: C. Drake
GENRE: Indie rock, indie pop

This is the only song that the dummer, Castor Drake, has solely written. The song to written to his father, Walter Drake, who died when Castor was in high school. "It's not something I talk about a lot. Even my wife has been asking for a while what happened to my father. Well, this is it. He died in a drunk driving accident when I was in high school. He was drunk... he was an alcoholic. My mother misses him, but she still hasn't forgiven him for leaving us like that. I don't think any of us have. At least not yet." Castor comes from a large family (he has five sisters), and his mom has made a living as an aritst since graduating college. Luckily, soon after Walter Drake's death, Angelique Drake (Castor's mother) hit a break in the art world and is now one of the top known artists for lawn decorations. "This song was really personal for me, and I was really happy when Nichole and I decided to put it on the album. It gives me a sort of closure with my father's death. I just feel like... like the last words I said to my father are different now," Castor has said about the song.

The song's tune matches the tone of the words perfectly for the first time on the album. The song has almost a sickly tone to it, like a mix of depression and cancer of the soul. The music is very quiet as Nichole sings over it, her voice taking on the same sort of altering sound as it did in I Don't Know If This is a Love Song. She sounds distant and far away, as if to give the song the effect of these words not being her own words, but somebody elses that she's speaking for - which is entirely true, of course. These are Castor's words that Nichole is singing. The song even makes a mention to the suit that Castor wears to each show, stating that it is his father's suit that his father wore when he was getting married.

"There's not a lot of anything else I can do to try to make things right between me and my father," Castor stated. "I've planted the flowers, I've gone to his grave, I've been angry, I've been sad... but this song is finally what makes me feel like I'm done grieving over him. I won't ever forget my father, but at least now I feel like I'm at peace with his death."

I can't afford flowers
But if I could
I'd not know where to plant them
I don't know species
I'd probably sneeze
But rest assured
If I could, I'd weep a bunch once a week

My very first car
I bought from you for a dollar
It's still on lay-buy
I would pay by any means that you could take
It drove me further
Than I had dared to dream
We spoke at length
When you said to "fly away" and fly, I did

I didn't mean to miss your funeral
But like you said, I've got to play from my heart
Your words like whispers written on my skin
And I wear your black suit
That you married my mother in as I play

Dear Headmaster,
Irreverent pupil would like to venture
Some advice if he might
Learn to spell your own name
Before you give it away
It makes things easier
When you climb down the family tree
To get to me

You led a protest
Right to the ending
Ending up where you started by the water
I hope you're swimming
I hope you're swimming
I hope you're spinning
In orbit of the stars I'd like to chase

SOUNDS LIKE:
Rilo Kiley - The Good That Won't Come Out

Edited by user 19 July 2013 03:23:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked snap_itshannah for this useful post.
erich hess on 19/07/2013(UTC), niggajones on 19/07/2013(UTC)
Offline niggajones  
#20 Posted : 19 July 2013 06:00:37(UTC)
niggajones

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 739 time(s) in 493 post(s)
OOC: these lyrics....they give me feels. fantastic job, as always :)
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage