logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2013 07:59:28(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Released: December 21st, 2013
Recorded: November 1st - November 19th 2013 Jungle City Studios, New York City, New York
Genre: Hardcore hip hop
Length: 5:25
Label: Permanent Reminder
Writer(s): Tealiyah Phuong, Sarojini Lui, Airemese Smith, Nina Taramino
Producer(s): T-Minus, Mikhil S

Background + Single Description
"Salute" is a song by Asian-American recording artist Liyah, taken from her upcoming debut mixtape which has been pushed back into 2014. It features additional vocals from hip hop artist Lotus and PBR&B's most notorious duo, Rum & Coke. The song was written by Phuong, Sarojini Lui, Airemese Smith and Nina Taramino while the production was handled by T-Minus and Nikhil S. Musically, "Salute" is a downtempo hardcore hip hop ballad that also incorporates elements of R&B, New Age, and space music. The lyrics speak of each rapper's struggles in life but ultimately overcoming them and being able to recognize each other as strong women for it. Liyah references this by the single track, 'Salute' which she deems 'fitting' for the situation. "When you see a real woman, instead of putting her down you should salute her and be proud. You shouldn't be jealous or start talking trash. Females have the game all messed up," states Liyah. Phuong had wanted several rappers to feature on the song with her but she wanted all females at the moment. "I feel like women need something to be proud of and have a hip hop anthem because there's a zillion R&B songs for when they get hurt or cheated on and all that but as far as hip hop? I sure didn't see any so this is what this is." Although some criticized her seemingly diss towards other females in the industry. "It's supposed to be an anthem for women to help each other but she disses some in there as well? Isn't that taking away from the point?" States one critic. Liyah addressed the statement saying, "The point is to salute REAL women, not all women. I didn't write this song for deadbeats or murderers or fakes, you know? So yeah, I called out the females who are fake and who doubted and still do doubt me. That's just proving my point though, you can't say I was never real with females in this business, even if I had beef with them. If I felt they were genuine and real then yeah, I can apologize or congratulate them but if I don't feel that, then I keep it moving."

"Salute" is a relatively slow-paced, retrospective downtempo ballad that draws heavily from hardcore hip hop. It is also influenced by other genres, such as R&B, New Age, and space music.The "anthemic" and "inspiring" song features a low-key, woozy, and snaky production, accompanied by prominent military-style drums, heavy synths, and rough, hard strewn beats. "Salute" has been described as one of the few songs that Liyah's delivery is "calm and collected" while she raps some 'tough' and 'gritty' lyrics. Rum & Coke both add their influence to the song with Coke singing the chorus and Rum giving her own verse which talks about life from Cuba and the hard times she endured. 'Shit and sometimes the T.O was worst then Cuba so you didn't see the fuss/In Cuba you didn't get shot 3 times while you was getting off the bus/You weren't prepared for what too much fresh air does' The next we here from is rising female rapper Lotus as she expands on the theme of the song which is struggling to get to fame. However, she proclaims struggling isn't a problem anymore in the last two lines of her verse, which is similar to the chorus, 'One of the few who refused to become the streets' victim/One of the few to realize struggle is nothing but a phantom'. This serves as the second theme of the song. Originally, the song was going to be named 'Phantom' but all four of the rappers agreed 'Salute' was a much better title.

The last to wrap up the song is Liyah, surprisingly delivering another verse which is very much one of the standouts on the track. She really implements her rapping ability by being able to switch it up from the calm demeanor to the somewhat fire that's been lit underneath her. It's the perfect way to cap off the song with her quick witted metaphors, 'And without competition you just on the stool spinnin/Rumpelstiltskin, tryna turn your shit into gold' and the perfect ending lyric, 'And this don't need a hook, cus this is over/We drvin bitches mad just call us the rap chauffeurs (Go)'. It's clear that Liyah has proven a very worthy and steady competitor in the urban community and this song was the one to prove it. Liyah also takes a personal side in the song when she even mentions the incident with her ex, who committed suicide in front of her at a cemetery. 'I'm praying to my baby cus he's dead/Witnessed as he took his handgun to the head'

"I feel it has the perfect mix of female rappers on there to give the track depth. Despite all the negativity and drama, this is the song that can be positive. Yes, it's like that one song about struggling and all that but it's deeper than that for me. I may not have gotten so personal to the point where I just told all my business but I shed some light on it. I never talk about because it hurts but in the song, it didn't hurt as bad. It happened years ago but it's still something relevant to me. Any teenager that goes through that, mad respect. This song is all about forgetting struggles but remembering what we had to do to get to this point. It's typical Asian Nation."

Lyrics

[Verse 1: Liyah]
This is a fucking anthem, this all the truth
Shout out to my homeboys, at home by the hoop
Anything you been through, put ya fucking hands up
Let em know you never scared, ain't never had no good luck
E-E-Everything I have I had to go out on a hustle
Selling by the gate with my cousins as the muscle
I'm praying to my baby cus he's dead
Witnessed as he took his handgun to the head
I can't go to sleep, without contemplation
Shout out to the lady who let me hide in her basement
Shout out to my partners, my goons, my cousins, Asian nation
My brothers from the block with no blood relation (Yeah)

[Chorus: Coke]
Keep yo' head up above the clouds
Ig' all of those holdin' you down
Keep it moving
Prove to them that struggle is a phantom

[Verse 2: Rum]
Yeah , okay , we made it to Canada
Escaped from the ghetto of Bayamo, Granma
Because even when you were dragged to church by your grandma
You already knew what you were finna do
See , that same night you was about to sneak out with yo' crew
Even though you was only twelve you really thought you were cool
Spliffin' , drinkin' , fightin' and rappin' a little too
Who would've thought after your parents found out they would make you move ?
Shit and sometimes the T.O was worst then Cuba so you didn't see the fuss
In Cuba you didn't get shot 3 times while you was getting off the bus
You weren't prepared for what too much fresh air does
Because nobody told you that stainless steel could rust
So even if you were moved into a good neighborhood , getting in trouble was your must
And that's always what them bitches at the school expected
But throw your middle finger up and point it to the ones disrespectin' and just ...

Keep it moving

[Verse 3: Lotus]
W-w-w-wait , I believe you should already know the drill
If it's me on the mic , you know I'm going in for the kill
If it's coming out my mouth , you know it's nothing but real
If it's coming from my heart it's something you're gonna feel
Shout out to my past , I'll never forget where I came from
I remember the time when I wanted food , I'd have to steal some
Had to hustle for my fam even if it wasn't exactly wholesome
Always had to worry about our needs , never had the chance to focus on my wants
And I guarantee I wasn't the only one
Just one of the few to tell the streets I was done
One of the few who refused to become the streets' victim
One of the few to realize struggle is nothing but a phantom

Keep it moving

[Verse 4: Liyah]
Just when you thought that I was over
Bring it back around shut bitches down, like foreclosure
Yeah, okay you hot for the minute
But if I'm not winnin' then I'm not even in it
And if I'm not in it then there ain't no competition
And without competition you just on the stool spinnin
Rumpelstiltskin, tryna turn your shit into gold
But you didn't even know that the power I was holdin
Wait, you said that I wasn't nothin'
You was sayin I couldn't do this shit and that I need assist
When in reality before this shit came to be you was dismissed
Just a figment of my thoughts, you don't really exist
And every time I hear you talk it adds to my fire
You try to knock me down but then I climb two steps higher
Somebody said you were a queen, call that bitch a liar
I'm always for my team no matter how that shit look
You start swingin' but I come in with that left hook
And this don't need a hook, cus this is over
We drivin bitches mad just call us the rap chauffeurs (Go)

Keep it moving

Keep it moving

Sounds Similar To:

Edited by user 30 December 2013 05:56:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 13 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 22/12/2013(UTC), BrownSugar on 22/12/2013(UTC), freestylechamp on 22/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 22/12/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 22/12/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/12/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 22/12/2013(UTC), GirlSpice on 23/12/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 23/12/2013(UTC), erich hess on 23/12/2013(UTC), Walton on 23/12/2013(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 24/12/2013(UTC), Andre Gandra on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2013 09:27:50(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: All the big guns, huh? Some top top names on this. And it shows. Some great writing from you all. I love the positive aspect of it and the shout out to everyone you know. The lyrics are all really really great. I have to admit to being really uncool though....what does ig mean?
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
kandii on 22/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 22/12/2013(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2013 09:37:15(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Lotus : *Tears* They grow up so fast .

Coke : Loved working on this with all of y'all ! And the way it turned out ? I feel like adding my own rhymes ... My name is Coke ... I'm sitting at home ... blasting this song ... and eating some cheese , prolong-- OHHH ! I killed that !

OOC : *Snaps* We did that ! :P Again , really great job on Liyah's verses !
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 22/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2013 09:53:26(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: All the big guns, huh? Some top top names on this. And it shows. Some great writing from you all. I love the positive aspect of it and the shout out to everyone you know. The lyrics are all really really great. I have to admit to being really uncool though....what does ig mean?

Liyah: Haha, Katie you too cute! Thanks boo :) I'm glad you liked it. Imma let Coke expand on 'Ig' lmao.

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Lotus : *Tears* They grow up so fast .

Coke : Loved working on this with all of y'all ! And the way it turned out ? I feel like adding my own rhymes ... My name is Coke ... I'm sitting at home ... blasting this song ... and eating some cheese , prolong-- OHHH ! I killed that !

OOC : *Snaps* We did that ! :P Again , really great job on Liyah's verses !

Liyah: Lemme get real ratchet for a minute.....Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas bitch, we did that! *Snaps* Ooh, Coke, Imma need you to stick to singing lol, I'm just playin!

OOC: :) Yes we did! *Snaps twice* Lol, thank you, wonderful job on all your parts as well!

Edited by user 22 December 2013 09:53:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 22/12/2013(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2013 09:58:56(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post

Liyah: Haha, Katie you too cute! Thanks boo :) I'm glad you liked it. Imma let Coke expand on 'Ig' lmao.

Coke : Ignore ! Lmao , I had to be at least a little street .
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#6 Posted : 22 December 2013 10:46:21(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne: wow this is fresh Liyah, I love the lyrics very meaning full I can relate them :D

OOC - masterpiece im not actually joking this is great Tequila also nice job on the lyrics both you and Semeria great work :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 22/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 22/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#7 Posted : 22 December 2013 10:51:23(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne: wow this is fresh Liyah, I love the lyrics very meaning full I can relate them :D

OOC - masterpiece im not actually joking this is great Tequila also nice job on the lyrics both you and Semeria great work :)

Liyah: Thank you :) Fresh is my middle name!

OOC: Thanks very much :]
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline freestylechamp  
#8 Posted : 22 December 2013 11:26:56(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Kidd: look at my sister put it down while lifting up the women salute you liyah

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2013 11:38:38(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Kidd: look at my sister put it down while lifting up the women salute you liyah

Liyah: You already know big bro :) I salute a real dude like you too!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Famouss7x7  
#10 Posted : 23 December 2013 01:35:30(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
OOC: Hands down your best written rap lyrics for Liyah, you did a sick job. I really liked this. Kandii, you also did your thing, there's never a time your written bars are less then stellar so great work to the both of you. Ready for Liyah's album lol
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 2 users thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#11 Posted : 23 December 2013 02:19:10(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Glamazon: Went into this predicting all ladies would kill it. Heard it. Was not disappointed. Killer beat, killer lyrics, I'm pretty much wildly in love with this. We need more of this stuff on the radio, because I dread turning it on these days. Well done to all involved!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 2 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#12 Posted : 23 December 2013 05:43:50(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Dominic: Straight up killed that shit! Got mad respect for ya boss ladies.

Ooc: Such a great role-play. Excellent work you two!
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#13 Posted : 23 December 2013 05:57:06(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
OOC: Hands down your best written rap lyrics for Liyah, you did a sick job. I really liked this. Kandii, you also did your thing, there's never a time your written bars are less then stellar so great work to the both of you. Ready for Liyah's album lol

OOC: Thank you :)

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Glamazon: Went into this predicting all ladies would kill it. Heard it. Was not disappointed. Killer beat, killer lyrics, I'm pretty much wildly in love with this. We need more of this stuff on the radio, because I dread turning it on these days. Well done to all involved!

Liyah: I agree, we went in ;) Thank you boo, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Dominic: Straight up killed that shit! Got mad respect for ya boss ladies.

Ooc: Such a great role-play. Excellent work you two!

Liyah: Haha, of course. Did you expect anything less? Had to let these little girls know :O

OOC: THANK YOU DEAR SISTER. :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#14 Posted : 23 December 2013 12:39:52(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17917 time(s) in 10411 post(s)
erich:crushing people like she's god fucking zilla.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#15 Posted : 23 December 2013 19:16:46(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
erich:crushing people like she's god fucking zilla.

Liyah: And you know that ;)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Andre Gandra  
#16 Posted : 24 December 2013 02:27:30(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Magie: This track drove to old school hip hop, if is there an old school hip hop to relate to, well actually I think it has, rap tracks for Beastie boys and Notorious BIG and even Tupac, ‘gal’ I don't know how you were born Asian, but you really have the ghetto blood in your veins! I also see you received some well-done help in this track, it's totally up to the hip hop recently takeover!
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 2 users thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 24/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#17 Posted : 24 December 2013 03:05:35(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Magie: This track drove to old school hip hop, if is there an old school hip hop to relate to, well actually I think it has, rap tracks for Beastie boys and Notorious BIG and even Tupac, ‘gal’ I don't know how you were born Asian, but you really have the ghetto blood in your veins! I also see you received some well-done help in this track, it's totally up to the hip hop recently takeover!

Liyah: Thank you Magie :) I'm very much influenced by old school hip hop and a tad bit of this new hip hop but I'm so influenced by Tupac, you don't even know girl! That's my baby daddy ;) We go waaay back lmao. Ooh, yes, I don't know how I was born Asian either, I'm too ghetto but I embrace that shit! Thank you thank you, can't wait for you to hear my whole work of art!

Edited by user 24 December 2013 03:06:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
kandii on 04/05/2014(UTC)