logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline genocidal king  
#1 Posted : 23 December 2013 22:05:58(UTC)
genocidal king

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Kai Rollins releases "anti-Christmas single" Fifty Shades

UserPostedImage

Kai Rollins has never been the sort of guy to shy away from controversy. Since earning his first record deal with Ocean Records earlier this year, the frontman has become almost as synonymous with conflict as he has with his own music. However, his constant running Twitter battles with Mariko and Erica Kobayashi, Honor Wynter, Alec Holter and anyone else who dared to tweet something he disagreed with seems like something of a small matter compared to his latest target - religion as a whole. The frontman has chosen the festival of Western religious celebration that has long been the cornerstone of family life - Christmas - to launch his latest tirade, a song that talks about his own ambivalence and mistrust of religion as a whole. Essentially, this is four minutes of Kai calling the bible a work of fiction - standard fare for music's most...challenging personality.

The rather controversial subject matter may raise a few eyebrows around the music world - after all, going after religion at its core and calling it out as fictitious seems to be asking for trouble, but is there anything more funamentally Kai? While others might shirk away from the sort of attention a song like this would undoubtedly bring them, the tattooed, brash, rough-round-the-edges Brit is just as likely to stir up the problem as much as embrace it. His song may be satirical at its heart, and many will argue that it can't be taken seriously - after all, what is music without a creative and theatrical touch? But one thing is for sure; a guy like Kai Rollins is far too smart to not know the sort of reaction this sort of track would bring him. No doubt the pitchforks will be out and the torches lit as school boards around the world get ready to ban t-shirts bearing the lyrical slogan "You say you're a God but your six! six! six!" - definitely the lyrical highlight of Rollins short professional career to date, but it's likely to simply put more of a smile on his face anyway.

There can be no doubt that Kai is an accomplished and dedicated musician, though and it's important that his dedication to pissing people off and having fun doesn't undermine just how good he is as an artist. Despite admitting that he spends most of his life inebriated or at the very least under the influence in some way, the singer has a talent for a tune, and has released two top 15 singles in his short career so far. This third release from him is more of what we all come to expect from Kai. It's angry, it's raw, it's loud and it has that sort of sweeping and thumping Kai Rollins mixture of fluidity and violence that has made his music stand out from the crowd. For those who enjoyed Kai's second single, this effort may be a little jarring and heavier (he called himself out for being a "sell-out fuck" after the release of his second single in October). The mid-tempo pace and the clean vocals have gone again, replaced by the sort of venomous bark that his fans demand.

As a songwriter, Rollins is far more skilled than he would have people believe. As much as his lyrics are controversial, they offer a quite witty insight into his mind. His deciphering and dissection of organised religion is almost exquisite. This is a move away from the sort of thing Kai is comfortable with, though. He has previously sung about angst, teenage feelings and unrequited love on his demos and in his time with his old band, but this offers something deeper, a theme that has more than one layer. The symbolism he uses in his lyrics shows a growth and - can we say this about a guy like Kai? - a real maturing, at least on a professional level. There is a distinct lack of threats for threats' sake, very little in the way of f-bombs gratuitously tossed into the mix, and much more in the way of thought. This is clearly the work of a man who, even if he won't admit it, wants to be respected and presented as a true pioneer of rock and roll music.

And it would be a foolish man who would discount Rollins backing band. They almost get left in his wake, and that's not hard given the sort of ego that comes as a part of the Kai Rollins package deal, but they produce a sound that is quite fantastic. Fans of metalcore will rejoice at the way the genre has been rejuvenated and had its rule book rewritten by a group of angry young English guys intent on making music that is not only angry and loud, but also smart, musically astute and challenging. It brings a new element to the style, as well as to the band themselves, and gives Kai that absolutely stunning platform from which he can look down on us all and preach his own warped ideas of religion. The irony of this song is quite humorous - it's so good that this might be the one that really wins Kai the sort of religious following and love that he parodies so accurately.

Kai says: "Count this as like me seminal moment, or summat. I think all metal singers need to have their moment where they get blamed for being the influence behind some heinous fucking crime, you know? Manson, Slayer, Maiden, even Twisted fucking Sister - they've all been there. This is my song for that. I'm dangling it there and just waiting for some cunt to take the bait. I wanna say, right, there is no way at all that this song is Satanist or whatever - it's about apathy and blind belief in the absence of a thirst for knowledge and true understanding.

But rest assured, the fact it says 666 in the chorus means that the next time some fucked up gothic kid strangle rapes his bird, it'll be "tragic teenager kills girlfriend after listening to Kai Rollins track". I can't wait for the aftermath. I'm not likely to be pissed off by it, am I? Publicity and all that. Give em what they fucking want. Even if the "they" in question is the Daily Mail. They want someone to point the finger at and hold up as a bastion of all that's wrong in the world? I'm more than happy to play their pseudo villain. The song though, right...I wrote it when I were properly fucked up. But then I always am, innit? I wrote it after I had a Twitter conversation wiv that Allison girl. You know the one that looks like a psycho anime character? We decided that religion is an arse-ended concept based on the beliefs of people who were even more fucked up than we are.

It's the angriest song I've released yet, without a doubt, but it's not to be taken all that seriously. It's all about my own atheistic beliefs, and the way I hate having religion forced on me. I'm not against anyone being religious - fill yer fuckin boots - but I'll never accept when some mong stands there preaching to me about it. Look at this sort of like my anti preach in a way. I know, if you take it literally, it's sounding like something of a hatred towards religion, but it's not. Look at it more the way I did - it's like a dismissal of the theories behind it, from my point of view. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Be sure to say that when they come for me with the pitchforks and torches, right?

Oh yeah, and the title. Nearly forgot that. That was a last minute thing, innit? I didn't have a clue what I wanted to call it, but then I were like "I want to show that this is like.....like calling the bible a work of fiction, but I want it to be very offensive at the same time." So I decided that likening a book filled with debauchery, sado-masochism, hate, rape, bondage, dominance and violence...to Fifty Shades of Grey would probably be quite offensive to that untalented bint that wrote it. It has nothing really to do with the track, but hey, who gives a fuck about that?"

UserPostedImage

Artist Kai Rollins
Track Fifty Shades
Genre Metalcore/Deathcore
Length 3:55
Recorded Sheffield, England
Lebel Ocean Records

Sounds like:

Would he who is without sin please cast the first stone,
And pummel her down til she no longer moans
Can those people in glass houses stop throwing bricks
You say you're a God but you're six! six! six!

I refuse! I refuse to bow down to you
To get on my knees and confess all my sins
I refuse! I'll never take my seat on your pew
To listen to you preach about all I could win

Truth is, no one's a champ, we're all gonna lose
Walk into nothing, no clouds, no harps, no fire
Fuck your map, it doesn't matter what path you choose
Put your faith in yourself and accept what transpires

Will you be another puppet, dreaming of your wings
Or will you accept that it will come to fuck all
I hope you choke, I'll see you hang by your strings
Blasphemy, keep pushing, I'll stand you up against the wall

Cauterise the wounds, stitch up your stigmata,
Gimme a break, love, because none of this is fact
When darkness comes you'll realise that nothing mattered
A fictional escape from reality, it's all an act

Rape my senses and tear my logic limb from limb
How can you live a life based on hatred and denial
Take my mind and mould it, brainwash me to cleanse my sin
Who wants to live this way, perpetually on trial

You're a snake, a temptress, leading me to betrayal
But there's nothing after they lay me to rest
Your lips are full, full of promises never fulfilled
Just let me give in and bring my head to your breast

But there will be no consequences, no other backlash
No one will strike me down for what I dare to achieve
So if I never find my senses, even if it goes to trash
A noble gas will never suppress what I choose to believe

I made my choice and I laid it all on the table
Played my cards and waited for your hand
But these promises of fruitful truths were no more than fable
I'm stuck here still with no future planned

Gimme a reason, something I can cling to and see
More than just fiction, bigger than these torn pages
Why should I trust in that which don't believe in me
A Chinese whisper passed idly through the ages

You're an old wives' tale, nothing more than a rumour
Let me be the one to bring this bullshit to an end
Let me be the doctor to extract you like a tumour
A shepherd who can guide the sheep you won't tend

UserPostedImage
thanks 9 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
AmyJayneXoX on 23/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 23/12/2013(UTC), BrownSugar on 23/12/2013(UTC), erich hess on 23/12/2013(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 23/12/2013(UTC), snap_itshannah on 23/12/2013(UTC), Mckenzie- on 24/12/2013(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2013 22:26:42(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Allison : Yep . That's it . You won it all . AND it was inspired by something I brought up ? Hell yeah . Where's my cut ?

OOC : I loved this RP . Definitely not kidding when I say it is flawless . Great job on all of this .
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
genocidal king on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2013 23:23:29(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17917 time(s) in 10411 post(s)
Erica:hey,anime character is MY thing! *narrows eyes at Allison.* regardless,I say lets keep the Christ out of Christmas and worship the altar of Abercrombie. Just like good little consumers.

Nina: fuck Abercrombie,love. I'm all about the RadioShack. I love all the transistor bits and bobs.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 2 users thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 23/12/2013(UTC), genocidal king on 23/12/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#4 Posted : 23 December 2013 23:58:39(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: kandii Go to Quoted Post
Allison : Yep . That's it . You won it all . AND it was inspired by something I brought up ? Hell yeah . Where's my cut ?

OOC : I loved this RP . Definitely not kidding when I say it is flawless . Great job on all of this .

Kai: Thank you ;) glad you liked it, love. And you're damn fucking right it was, mate. Epic conversation. You're cut...? Was that my phone? ;)

Ooc: Thank you :D Glad you enjoyed it. That's high praise but it means a lot so thank you :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
kandii on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 24 December 2013 00:59:07(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
Mandy: Kai...you are scary :'(

OOC: You know this isn't exactly my cup of tea but I commend you for great written work and especially an anti Christmas song since it seems like we all are doing Christmas songs on here haha. This was really well written work, you shine with these type of lyrics. You can tell you're most comfortable with them as well. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for Kai :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
genocidal king on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline AmyJayneXoX  
#6 Posted : 24 December 2013 01:41:06(UTC)
AmyJayneXoX

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3949 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Amy-Jayne: you are a strange guy with a lot of tattoos and you lile someone I hate with that being said, I have a place on my heart for this song it's definitely anti-chrismas just what some people need right now :D

OOC - great job here Scott the lyrics are really strong :)
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked AmyJayneXoX for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#7 Posted : 24 December 2013 02:00:04(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica:hey,anime character is MY thing! *narrows eyes at Allison.* regardless,I say lets keep the Christ out of Christmas and worship the altar of Abercrombie. Just like good little consumers.

Nina: fuck Abercrombie,love. I'm all about the RadioShack. I love all the transistor bits and bobs.

Kai: True, love. But you don't have the weird scary eyes she does. No offence, Allison, love. I agree though, Christmas is about turkey and free shit, not some knob that pissed off some Romans and zombied the fuck out of the Middle East for a bit.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/12/2013(UTC), kandii on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#8 Posted : 24 December 2013 03:14:53(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: You look like a little lost puppy, so cute haha, omg. And the song was amazing. Huge rock fan over here and a teeny tiny Metal so this is my area right now. Honestly, I'm loving all the anti-Christmas songs right now. You do get a little tired of the cheery, merry songs, I love this. It's very..in your face and unexpected.

OOC: Wonderful job on the whole rp and describing it, I love a good description and the lyrics are A1 :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2013 03:15:26(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Famouss7x7 Go to Quoted Post
Mandy: Kai...you are scary :'(

OOC: You know this isn't exactly my cup of tea but I commend you for great written work and especially an anti Christmas song since it seems like we all are doing Christmas songs on here haha. This was really well written work, you shine with these type of lyrics. You can tell you're most comfortable with them as well. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for Kai :)

Kai: BOO! Hahahahahahaha. But thank you for the compliment, chief. You have cheekbones I could cut cheese with. And that's a compliment.

OOC: Thank you :) And thank you for taking the time to read it even though it's not your cup of tea. I appreciate that a lot since I know some people will just see metal and click off, which is fine as well lol. Yeah I think I'm going to be making Kai my main character from now since I'm finding he's the easiest to write as. Thank you again, Jaime, and I'm glad you liked it :)
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#10 Posted : 24 December 2013 03:42:53(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: AmyJayneXoX Go to Quoted Post
Amy-Jayne: you are a strange guy with a lot of tattoos and you lile someone I hate with that being said, I have a place on my heart for this song it's definitely anti-chrismas just what some people need right now :D

OOC - great job here Scott the lyrics are really strong :)

Kai: Strange? Little lady you got me all right. I'm tagged. I'm glad I'm not fucking normal though. It cost me a cunt load of money to look like this. I hate Christmas to be fair, and religion. It just starts fights really.

OOC: Thank you :) I'm glad you liked them :)
UserPostedImage
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#11 Posted : 24 December 2013 05:43:56(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Kourtney: This is certainly different from any Christmas song I'm use to but I love your honesty. If this is what Christmas means to you then rock on Kai.

Ooc: This is superb! Terrific job Scott.
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
Offline freestylechamp  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2013 05:52:45(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Kidd: I don't like christmas songs. there I said it the new ones are all commercialize and the old ones get played to death and remade over and over. Finally I have a song that I can play during the holidays when my friends who are so religious.

OOC: I like Kai that whole bad boy vibe that he has. I think he was the only one on here that could pull off a song like that and I like the chorus very catchy.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline genocidal king  
#13 Posted : 24 December 2013 08:42:59(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Jennifer: You look like a little lost puppy, so cute haha, omg. And the song was amazing. Huge rock fan over here and a teeny tiny Metal so this is my area right now. Honestly, I'm loving all the anti-Christmas songs right now. You do get a little tired of the cheery, merry songs, I love this. It's very..in your face and unexpected.

OOC: Wonderful job on the whole rp and describing it, I love a good description and the lyrics are A1 :)

Kai: A lost puppy? Jesus....here she comes with the insults ;) But thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the song and that. I would not have thought metal was your thing. I take back that time I called you fat now ;) thanks again, mate. Glad you liked it :)

Ooc: Thank you :D I know you like a description Haha :P Glad you liked it :D
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
RoseJapanFan on 24/12/2013(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#14 Posted : 24 December 2013 09:40:16(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: freestylechamp Go to Quoted Post
Kidd: I don't like christmas songs. there I said it the new ones are all commercialize and the old ones get played to death and remade over and over. Finally I have a song that I can play during the holidays when my friends who are so religious.

OOC: I like Kai that whole bad boy vibe that he has. I think he was the only one on here that could pull off a song like that and I like the chorus very catchy.

Kai: Me either buddy, but then I hate all things Christmas. Why would I want to sit in a frigging room with all these people I can't stand just Cos Santa said so? Wtf is That? And hahaha I hope your friends love it, mate. Represent!

OOC: Thanks! :) Kai is definitely my favourite of mine to write as at the moment so thanks :) Glad you liked the song too :)
UserPostedImage
Offline genocidal king  
#15 Posted : 24 December 2013 09:59:22(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Princess_Valentine Go to Quoted Post
Kourtney: This is certainly different from any Christmas song I'm use to but I love your honesty. If this is what Christmas means to you then rock on Kai.

Ooc: This is superb! Terrific job Scott.

Kai: Hey someone gets it! Yes! This is what it's all about. It's about your own interpretation of Christmas. You are smart. I like you.

Ooc: Aww that's sweet thank you so much :D

UserPostedImage