logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2009 09:53:50(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
US neo-conservatives are undermining Obama's attempts to close Guantanamo Bay and put an end to torture. We urgently need to respond with visible public pressure -- let's chip in to create a massive 'Stay Strong Obama' billboard right in the centre of Washington: President Obama's commitment to reverse and investigate Bush's brutal and illegal detention and interrogation policies is under real threat. Torture advocates like former Vice-President Dick Cheney, perhaps fearing personal consequences for their actions, have launched a massive campaign to oppose Obama -- and, incredibly, they're winning. Even many members of Obama's own party are now withdrawing support for the closure of Guantanamo Bay. If a country like the US refuses to reject these policies, it will be a massive global step backwards for the cause of human rights. As President Obama himself said in his National Security speech last week - these past 'War on Terror' policies were illegal, ineffective, alienated the United States and increased global insecurity. But, in the last two weeks decisions have been made about Guantanamo, military commissions, and photos of torture that put the "Hope over Fear' doctrine at risk. He is up against dangerous populist forces and unless stopped now, something quite frightening could emerge - a world of indefinite preventative detention, ongoing rendition and impunity.

now you may be able to guess where my personal feelings are.. BUT, what are your opinions on Guantanamo bay. Should it be closed, or by closing it are we letting dangerous men out only so they can attack our way of life and personal safety, especially now after being interred with other "terrorists". If we do close the bay, what should be done with the detainees?
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Raphaela  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2009 09:59:58(UTC)
Raphaela

Groups: Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I remember watching a documentary about it and it made me feel sick.
I'm surely for the closing of the bay, although I don't know what to do with the people there. They can't go back to Iraq (or to whatever other country they were taken) and no way in hell the government will give them a free pass to the USA (and they shouldn't, I don't exclude the possibility that some of those people may be connected with terrorism).
Staying in Cuba could be a possibility, an unlikely one to happen anyway.

Edited by user 26 May 2009 10:04:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Gildermershina  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2009 11:25:35(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Dick Cheney has an extremely accurate name.

If any billboard needs to go up, it's one listing some of Cheney's pertinent records. Like the fact he dodged the Vietnam draft five times. Like his involvement in war-profiteering. Like his secret government. Like his refusal to submit records. Like the fact his name is Dick (and given the too-numerous-to-be-accidental Republican slurs of Obama into Osama, perhaps that'd be appropriate). The only people who should be listening to anything that comes out of his mouth at this point are people who like the smell of fresh slimy horseshit.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Rincewind  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2009 11:51:20(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

very good British documentary on it called the road to Guantanamo bay.
and im just like:
Offline Aj  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2009 23:02:41(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Rincewind wrote:

Look, if the wankers are willing to blow up your children whilst there at school so they can go up to allah with some virgins then i say we should torture the fuckers. If we have unquestionable evidence that their terrorists, and they may know stuff - go for it. And then, once we've got the information, stick them on some man made island in the middle of the no where and leave then some knives and forks and let the bastards eat each other. We should do the same to rapists, paedophiles, mass murderers and all kinds of sick people.

BUT

This will never happen because we're all obsessed with human rights now. Which, I suppose, is a good thing. But surely if your saving the lives of thousends of people, for the exchange of torturing some cock who would quite happily chop your head off and stick it on youtube, SURELY thats a price worth paying?

Obviously, we should never torture kill jail or anything anyone until we have unquestionable evidence. Also, anyone whos been in Guantanamo Bay should not be allowed into any western country.
Offline Raphaela  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2009 02:01:59(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Aj wrote:
Obviously, we should never torture kill jail or anything anyone until we have unquestionable evidence. Also, anyone whos been in Guantanamo Bay should not be allowed into any western country.

That's the thing, most of them don't have much evidence that they're connected with terrorism.
My teacher said that the government pays the people that give them any clue of "possible terrorists", get what I mean?
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Rincewind  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2009 04:05:47(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Aj wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Look, if the wankers are willing to blow up your children whilst there at school so they can go up to allah with some virgins then i say we should torture the fuckers. If we have unquestionable evidence that their terrorists, and they may know stuff - go for it. And then, once we've got the information, stick them on some man made island in the middle of the no where and leave then some knives and forks and let the bastards eat each other. We should do the same to rapists, paedophiles, mass murderers and all kinds of sick people.

BUT

This will never happen because we're all obsessed with human rights now. Which, I suppose, is a good thing. But surely if your saving the lives of thousends of people, for the exchange of torturing some cock who would quite happily chop your head off and stick it on youtube, SURELY thats a price worth paying?

try watching the film... three british men who were sent to the bay, simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time... and for that, they were kidknapped and sent to an illegal prison with no rights, for no reason....
and im just like:
Offline Aj  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2009 05:06:04(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Raphaela wrote:
Aj wrote:

That's the thing, most of them don't have much evidence that they're connected with terrorism.
My teacher said that the government pays the people that give them any clue of "possible terrorists", get what I mean?

Hmmm. Still, i dont have a problem with torturing a few Taliban & Al Quaeda POW's
Offline forkboy  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2009 07:19:16(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Aj wrote:
Raphaela wrote:
Aj wrote:

Hmmm. Still, i dont have a problem with torturing a few Taliban & Al Quaeda POW's

Yeah, they aren't all terrorists though genius. There's barely any evidence is why why they are still holed up in Guantanamo. And frankly, a wise man once said that by giving up liberty for security means you lose both.
Offline TheCDs  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2009 09:38:21(UTC)
TheCDs

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Guantanamo Bay is the public prison but every other western nation has secret prison facilities that function in similar capacities and manners to Guantanamo. Is it wrong? In my opinion it is, but to point a finger at the U.S. and say "oh you are evil stop torturing people" is woefully naive. Every government run military operates them and just because the U.S. happened to have theirs fall into the public eye doesn't mean we were the only ones doing it.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline Instead of the Everyday  
#11 Posted : 27 May 2009 09:56:04(UTC)
Instead of the Everyday

Aj wrote:

unquestionable evidence

Unfortunately, theoretically that is impossible. I'm against torture, in almost all circumstances. The only time I can envision a time when torture might be excusable is on the micro-level... if, for example, my child is kidnapped and I have the kidnapper sitting on my couch. I probably wouldn't be able to control my actions at that point, and if torture occurs that will help secure the safety of my child, there is probability that it will happen.

On the macro-level (IE: Guantanamo Bay) it should not be allowed, in any circumstance. The more I learn about waterboarding, the worse it is. It's truly, truly horrifying. There are several incredibly powerful youtube videos on it. I suggest searching.

Guantanamo Bay should be closed, more for what it symbolically represents as American torture than anything else. Dick Cheney and the rest of his PNAC (Project for the New American Century - VIEW WHO'S SIGNED THE STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES - IT'S SCARY) cronies should also be PROSECUTED for his many crimes against humanity. Click on the link. The website should make you shudder at being American (if you are American.)

Edited by user 27 May 2009 09:57:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Instead of the Everyday is:

Mike Hurley (Vocals / Guitar)
Kevin DelGaudio (Guitar)
Sam "I am" Winters (Bass)
Rob Palladio (Drums)
Anton Pierce (Keybords)

UserPostedImage

IotE is signed to M/M Records
Offline Gildermershina  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2009 10:42:06(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

forkboy wrote:
Aj wrote:
Raphaela wrote:
Aj wrote:

Yeah, they aren't all terrorists though genius. There's barely any evidence is why why they are still holed up in Guantanamo. And frankly, a wise man once said that by giving up liberty for security means you lose both.

Champion kite-flyer Benjamin Franklin I believe.
Offline forkboy  
#13 Posted : 27 May 2009 19:30:47(UTC)
forkboy

TheCDs wrote:
Guantanamo Bay is the public prison but every other western nation has secret prison facilities that function in similar capacities and manners to Guantanamo. Is it wrong? In my opinion it is, but to point a finger at the U.S. and say "oh you are evil stop torturing people" is woefully naive. Every government run military operates them and just because the U.S. happened to have theirs fall into the public eye doesn't mean we were the only ones doing it.

Wait, what the fuck? OK, so hey, out-there claim, the burden of proof is on you. Find me proof of Britian, France, Germany, Spain, Canada, etc and their secret torture prisons.
Offline Rincewind  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2009 22:00:50(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

forkboy wrote:
TheCDs wrote:

Wait, what the fuck? OK, so hey, out-there claim, the burden of proof is on you. Find me proof of Britian, France, Germany, Spain, Canada, etc and their secret torture prisons.

the obvious response is.... i can't because they are secret....

bwahahahhaahha, i love conspiracy theories...
and im just like:
Offline Gildermershina  
#15 Posted : 28 May 2009 00:38:20(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Aj wrote:
Raphaela wrote:
Aj wrote:

Would you have a problem with them torturing a few CIA agents?
Offline forkboy  
#16 Posted : 28 May 2009 01:14:24(UTC)
forkboy

Rincewind wrote:

the obvious response is.... i can't because they are secret....

bwahahahhaahha, i love conspiracy theories...

Ding ding.

Indeed. Kooks are always amusing. Unless it's the band The Kooks, they are just dull.
Offline Chimp Records  
#17 Posted : 08 June 2009 04:30:07(UTC)
Chimp Records

Well, I don't think closing Guantanamo Bay was such a problem. The criminals will just be relocated to another island (hopefully), further away from the States, if possible. Somewhere in the middle of the Pacific is fine. Plus, The US would be getting out of Cuba. Now, the US will have less contact with Cuba. Best to not have another missile crisis and Bay of Pigs again. This I consider more important than secrecy or torture or any of that sh*t.

Edited by user 08 June 2009 04:31:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline Captain Insano  
#18 Posted : 08 June 2009 10:21:26(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Aj wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

BUT

Of course human rights is a good fucking thing...there has been numerous accounts of prisoners in that 'facility' who have been falsely accused of terrorism and tortured. Some from Australia, Great Britian and so on...to torture them on the merest suspicion of having links to terrorists...holy fuck.....close the fucking thing.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline forkboy  
#19 Posted : 08 June 2009 12:35:50(UTC)
forkboy

Chimp Records wrote:
Well, I don't think closing Guantanamo Bay was such a problem. The criminals will just be relocated to another island (hopefully), further away from the States, if possible. Somewhere in the middle of the Pacific is fine. Plus, The US would be getting out of Cuba. Now, the US will have less contact with Cuba. Best to not have another missile crisis and Bay of Pigs again. This I consider more important than secrecy or torture or any of that sh*t.

Poor understanding of international relations. The US wouldn't get out of Cuba, they would continue to use Guantanamo Bay as a naval base, as they have had for 111 years now. And America really needs to normalise relations with Cuba; many of the members of the OAS now want Cuba readmitted to the organisation, and well, the bottom line is that the Cold War has been over for 20 years now.
Offline Gildermershina  
#20 Posted : 08 June 2009 12:47:12(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Americans seem to be of the "break some eggs" style of dealing with terrorism.