logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2015 07:29:57(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Valentina Hart is a name you'll be hearing more of in 2015 if there's any justice in the music world. Currently unsigned and "broke as a toothfairy in a house of meth addicts" in her own words, Valentina recently uploaded "Pantomime" to her Soundcloud and caught our attention. Quirky, yet irresistibly catchy, Valentina's debut is one that certainly commands your attention with its hooks and The Knife inspired production, which is currently helping it to spread like wildfire across the web.

On the Rise conducted Valentina's first ever interview with her over the phone which is set to be published next week, and the promising new songstress wasn't shy in revealing her struggle and sacrifices she's had to make to get this point. "I feel like a clown who's run away from home to join the circus sometimes. Just putting this song out on my own has taken me years and years of meeting strangers and asking for favours. I went to New York and had drinks in bars with anyone as lonely as I was, hoping we'd get a little friendly and I'd have a place to crash for the night, not for anything sexual, I assure you," Valentina confesses. "That's kinda what I've been doing since I got here, how am I not dead yet? Gosh, don't answer that. I really hope my mama doesn't read this."

"Pantomime" seems like the perfect introduction to Valentina as a person and as an artist, she's determined, feisty and theatrical, all of which comes across in her debut single. "I went to an art school, so of course my brain doesn't... function normally sometimes," she laughs. "So of course when I write a love song, it's very loud and bold and dramatic, it's me having a big tantrum over an ex. I'm your average stereotypical girl in that sense, but only sometimes. I mean, I only sometimes shave my armpits and I have pet rats. Live and let live, right?"

"Pantomime"

Sounds similar to:

Let's break a leg
Now the lights expose it all
Bringing out every harsh colour
There's no turning back
No running and hiding from the watchful eyes
Of our expecting crowd
We've got a show to put on
Now let's make believe until we please

Shouldn't have to keep on faking
Don't wanna keep on masquerading
These dying flames and these stupid love games
I want this road, but you want the next turning
But we just keep on reversing

I think we're a little too comfortable
In the safety of home
A little too afraid of the danger zone
This love's gone out of style
But we paint on our smiles
We don't shine like the summertime
We just put on a show like a pantomime

Let's break a leg
Disguising in our costume party
Reality hides behind a fantasy
Dressed up the truth into a fancy lie
That we can't keep covering up
So let's face facts, stop ignoring the cracks
It's all too true to be good
We're just trying to save face

Shouldn't have to keep on faking
Don't wanna keep on masquerading
These dying flames and these stupid love games
I want this road, but you want the next turning
But we just keep on reversing

In the safety of home

Panto-panto-mime, oh, why, why, why?
We gotta have all these twists and turns
Riddles and rhymes, a complicated design

(x2)
In the safety of home

Edited by user 30 January 2015 04:10:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 11 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
erich hess on 24/01/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 24/01/2015(UTC), snap_itshannah on 24/01/2015(UTC), freestylechamp on 24/01/2015(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 24/01/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 26/01/2015(UTC), Andre Gandra on 26/01/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 29/01/2015(UTC), C4AJoh on 31/01/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 02/03/2015(UTC), kandii on 09/03/2015(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2015 07:58:30(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Jennifer: I love you already Ms. Valentina :) And I only sometimes shave my armpits too :P So I understand the struggle! Haha, but seriously, this is really head bopping....est. If that is a word or phrase lol.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 26/01/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2015 09:44:08(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Daisy: Hands up who doesn't like musical theatre. Look at all the NO HANDS! We all love musical theatre and we love you. This business needs as many feisty cool people just doing their thing. You go!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 29/01/2015(UTC)
Online BrownSugar  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2015 09:45:04(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19136 time(s) in 7598 post(s)
Scott: Already gave you a little message on Twitter but just thought I'd tell you how much I love this song again. Jen was the one that got me into it so we can both thank her :P Can't wait to hear more stuff from you, sweetheart :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Offline Famouss7x7  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2015 13:39:29(UTC)
Famouss7x7

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20070 time(s) in 6660 post(s)
James: Very strong record here! I'm intrigued and interested in seeing what else you will be offering us this year. You seem to have the hunger and drive a lot of new artists lack nowadays. Don't let fame change you! Be careful, it gets rough out here. Best of luck V !
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Cristina LakeAubrey MikkelSabinaJames UrieAustin NimmoMandy Williams The Wolverines
Jerry Holmes • Marina Balan • MiamiBYSNaomiSuzieAaron StylesCory DionneThe Kittens
Brittany KnoxDennis Shaw • Gemma • Payton • Cassie Valentine • JT RodriguezJay-CNick UriePRÓXIMO

thanks 1 user thanked Famouss7x7 for this useful post.
Offline freestylechamp  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2015 02:12:39(UTC)
freestylechamp

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6094 time(s) in 2656 post(s)
Chris: We all been there, I was more broke than giving fine china to a four year who just finish eating his whole Halloween candy supply. Muscially though you really talented, and I know a girl can use a talented face.

Banners:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked freestylechamp for this useful post.
Offline GirlSpice  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2015 04:10:06(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ON THE RISE TALKS TO VALENTINA HART

Who is Valentina Hart? This mysterious singer-songwriter is making waves in the industry and she's only been here five minutes. The 22-year-old laughs at this comment and shrugs her shoulders, "Meh, five minutes, five years, who's counting?" Despite being a young newcomer in a frightening industry, where hopeful artists are told they only have one shot to make it, Valentina seems surprisingly relaxed for her very first interview. "I think I've rehearsed this moment so many times in my head, I'm just so well prepared that you can't tell I'm freaking out inside right now. The butterflies are eating away at my stomach!" Her debut single "Pantomime" premiered just last week and seems to be spreading across the web like wildfire, with the help of attention from Jennifer Armstrong and Scott Wellington from boyband Weekend, among others. Commenting on gaining attention from such huge names in music, Valentina doesn't seem to know where to begin, "I feel like a lucky little leprechaun. There's so many new artists around, so I feel super special to have such successful singers take notice of my very first song. I sobbed, Instagram it." The fact Valentina is doing all of this without the backing of a major label is impressive to say the least, something she doesn't seem too bothered about at this stage in her career. "I think in this day and age, music is so easy to make available digitally. Like, what do you need a label for? Once I figure out how to get my song up, I'll feel like I've accomplished everything I've ever wanted. How cool is it to have your own song to purchase on iTunes? I'm a music nerd, sorry," she laughs. "Of course I hope I can get the interest of a label who can fund things that I simply can't, but I'd like it to be on my terms. I wouldn't wanna give up any freedom... or my soul!" Whether that time comes or not is yet to be decided, but Valentina is certainly not shy when it comes to telling all on her struggles to get to this point. "I feel like a clown who's run away from home to join the circus sometimes. Just putting this song out on my own has taken me years and years of meeting strangers and asking for favours. I went to New York and had drinks in bars with anyone as lonely as I was, hoping we'd get a little friendly and I'd have a place to crash for the night, not for anything sexual, I assure you," Valentina confesses. "That's kinda what I've been doing since I got here, how am I not dead yet? Gosh, don't answer that. I really hope my mama doesn't read this."

Born in San Diego, California, Valentina explains that this is all she could ever really see herself doing, even since childhood. "Most kids say they want to be an astronaut, a vet or whatever, but I always wanted to be a singer. Well, it was initially a fairy, but I settled for this in the end," she smiles. "My parents were always very open-minded, creative people, so I never got the whole pep talk about how I should strive for a more realistic career as a doctor or lawyer. They just wanted me to be happy, I wish everyone had parents like mine." Speaking of her own sound, Valentina is clearly passionate and knows where she fits in the music landscape, "My themes and lyrics are very theatrical... as if the song I just put out doesn't show that enough, right? It's sometimes a little quirky, sometimes sounds a little otherworldly, but it's always still very real. I listen to a lot of singer-songwriter stuff and mix in more modern influences for my own sound. It's hard to explain, but it comes very naturally, it's just me." She plays us a few tracks that are still in raw demo form, planned to go onto her debut album. One lyric on a song catches our attention, "I didn't wake up like this / But I thought you knew what you were gettin' with". She laughs and nods her head, "I know that Beyoncé lyric was only ever meant to be playful, but gosh, don't we all believe she did wake up like a perfect creature every morning? I certainly don't... I wanted other guys and gals to have something to relate to." The songs she plays seem to pull from a variety of different sounds, blending pop, electronic and alternative genres into songs that while aren't finished, still sound surprisingly promising and fresh. "If there's one thing working on my first album has taught me, it's that it's okay to have songs with a pop structure. I've written songs that could go on for ten minutes, but I now know it's not a crime for your music to be compact and accessible. I had to teach myself that. I guess I was a clueless hipster girl before... gross."

Before she decided to take her music career more seriously, Valentina attended the California College of the Arts, an experience she was fond of, despite dropping out after two years. "I went to an art school, so of course my brain doesn't... function normally sometimes," she smirks. "It was a great experience, I met great people and friends who I'm still close with. It just took me a year too long to be brave enough to realise it wasn't me and that I should give this music thing a go." The following events have all led to the unveiling of her first single. "Pantomime" seems like the perfect introduction to Valentina as a person and as an artist, she's determined, feisty and theatrical, all of which comes across in her debut single. "I had this weirdo relationship with a guy, where we liked each other and dated because I think we liked the idea of it more than anything. I don't think we were ever in love, but we stayed together because it was convenient, if that makes sense. We had someone. I liked the idea of a pantomime to refer to that relationship, because in a way, we were both faking and putting on a show for each other. I dunno, average love songs aren't me. So of course when I write a love song, it's very loud and bold and dramatic, it's me having a big tantrum over an ex. I'm your average stereotypical girl in that sense, but only sometimes. I mean, I only sometimes shave my armpits and I have pet rats. Live and let live, right?" Yes, you read the last part right, which is what makes Valentina so refreshing in a shallow industry, she does things her way, no matter if they're the ordinary or not. In that way, it's hard to imagine her as a global pop icon, but she could sure bring something new to the table if she had the opportunity. "I don't mind being called a feminist, but there's a lot of negativity surrounding that word. I'm a chill hippie, people can do whatever the hell they want. Whether I shave my armpits or not shouldn't be breaking news to some people, but it does actually provoke a strong reaction still, don't ask why! Sometimes I do though, depends if I'm feeling girly or not." And the rats? One of Val's favourite animals. "I have two pet rats, Dreamer and Wonder, aka my babies. I see rats as an underdog in the animal kingdom, similar to how I see myself... gosh, I'm so deep today and I'm blabbering. Am I boring you?"

Our time over the phone with Valentina comes to an end and she sighs with relief on the other end, "Oh my goodness, I don't think I said anything that will get me in trouble with mom. Oh fuck, I'm remembering the start of the interview now. Bad move," she says with a nervous laugh. "Thanks guys, I'll thank you in my album booklet for this opportunity, I swear," Val adds before hanging up. We're holding her to that promise.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
Famouss7x7 on 30/01/2015(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2015 17:41:09(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Allison: I know there's a buy button, I've hit more times than necessary, but where's the "make Pantomime your theme song so it can play every time you walk into a room" button? God I love this, I love you. Me, you and Radio should get together and make shit happen.
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 11/03/2015(UTC)