logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GirlSpice  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2015 03:51:44(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Title: Eyelids
Artist: Vanity
Album: TBA
Genre: Electronic Rock/Industrial
Label: Kaleidoscope Records

Vanity returns with her first new piece of new music since 2014's Odyssey, an album created in collaboration with mISTER_b which featured several songs of raunchy, sexually suggestive lyrics with hard-hitting EDM beats that the producer is well known for. While the record received only moderate success and mixed reviews, the pop icon was able to go on a sellout world tour. Since then, Vanity has gone into a "blackout", a process that the singer found crucial to the creation of her twelfth studio album, even inspiring this new single of hers. "I think it's important we all have a chance to step away from the world when we can. Going into a blackout was very important for me as an artist, it's a period of time spent in total darkness, no distractions or interaction with other living creatures. It's an opportunity to cleanse your mind and vision. Sometimes you can become so much more enlightened in the dark, without even seeing anything, everything becomes clearer. That's what inspired this song and I wanted to share this art form with my fans."

Speaking more about what's to be expected from her upcoming album, Vanity adds, "The last album really followed the concept of sexuality, freedom of expression and self discovery. I feel like it really divided my fan base though, because the lyrical themes weren't for everyone. Which is okay, it's important to make sure strong opinions are formed on your music, if it evokes a feeling deep within you, then it's clearly made an impact. This time round though, I wanted the album to be a little less scripted and untamed, more wild and broad. There's a variety of different styles and lyrics that are across the board. I feel it was important to begin this journey into the new album with the first song I created, where it all stated, showing how my mind adapted to creating new material."

Pop Matters Review

While Vanity has gone into more dark electronic sounds in the past, "Eyelids" shows the bizarre pop star at her most extreme yet, showing a side to her that her fans have never seen in her music. Though it's not a surprise based on Vanity's unexpected antics, it's a great moment to see her as an artist delivering something as wild as we all knew she was capable of. In the current musical landscape, "Eyelids" really doesn't fit anywhere and sticks out like a sore thumb, which is both a highlight and its biggest downfall, because pop radio isn't going to touch this. But judging Vanity's recent releases, she no longer holds a desire to be a pop star, it's a 'been there, done that' situation for the singer. While she's never been your cookie-cutter manufactured artist, she's certainly put out mainstream, melodic music that radio would lap up, which "Eyelids" is anything but. The song features wild, untamed vocals from Vanity, pairing with a wall of electronic noise that runs throughout the song. While there's gentle breaks in the track amid all the chaos, it's only an opportunity to build things back to the song's explosive nature, crashing to the forefront even harder than before.

Vocally, this is one of Vanity's most experimental, extreme songs to date, her vocals are front and center alongside the powerful, stabbing electro that sweeps in and out of the track with little warning. Her voice is brutal, harsh and even strained at some points in the song, only adding to the dark, eccentric vibe of the song. "Put me in a permanent dark" Vanity declares in the track's opening, her voice urgent and clear, instantly commanding the attention of the listener. Later in the song's wild, noisy chorus, Vanity delivers the lyrics in near screams, "Stab out my vision / Like shutting off the television". Not a way to win over fans of the blind community, VanVan.

Overall, the song is an unexpected, but welcome addition to Vanity's discography, moving her sound further away from standard pop music and cementing her unique brand of impactful, unique electronic music. Vanity's lyrics have been difficult to relate to over the past few records, and this one is no different, because let's face it, we don't all hibernate in darkness for periods of time and quite frankly, we can't afford to. But for Vanity's loyal fan base, this will no doubt be welcome with open arms after a 15 month musical drought.

"Eyelids"

Sounds similar to:

Put me in a permanent dark
So far from the light, give me vision for the night
To see and believe, to discover and uncover
The truth in what lies deep down
Deep down in my frantic mind
I am, I am undefined

Don't hold me at the mercy of, no
Don't hold me at the mercy of, oh
Don't hold me at the mercy of my wild soul

Like blinds on the windows
Clouds over the sun
I blackout the harsh reality
With my eyelids
Stab out my vision
Like shutting off the television
With my eyelids

The greatest collision
My vivid dreams and the real extremes
No more tunnel vision, it's my decision
To flee from this power in the final hour
I ride away from the world's existence
Into the distance
Away from the sounds, away from the crowds
Into underground

And I make peace with the silence
The voices in my mind and all the questions unanswered
What used to be at war underneath
Is all now at ease, at ease

Clouds over the sun
With my eyelids
Stab out my vision
With my eyelids

Draw the blinds, no more reasons to define
The problems of the girl and the way the world works
Take out my sight, no more reasons to fight
Against the system, I shut off my television
I flip the switch and this time, I quit
And I drift off to a silent trip

Clouds over the sun
With my eyelids
Stab out my vision
With my eyelids
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 12 users thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
snap_itshannah on 22/07/2015(UTC), BrownSugar on 22/07/2015(UTC), erich hess on 22/07/2015(UTC), genocidal king on 22/07/2015(UTC), Clampdown on 22/07/2015(UTC), Welat65 on 22/07/2015(UTC), Realms Of Darkness on 22/07/2015(UTC), Atonic Records on 22/07/2015(UTC), AmyJayneXoX on 22/07/2015(UTC), JohnnyBBB on 22/07/2015(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 22/07/2015(UTC), Princess_Valentine on 24/07/2015(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2015 04:21:22(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17923 time(s) in 10416 post(s)
Erich: you know what I like best about pretty much any quote from vanity? Taken out of context and delivered in a different tone? They could easily be from a serial killer . but if that serial killer made this music? You'd love every minute of being killed and having your skin worn.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 22/07/2015(UTC)
Offline genocidal king  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2015 07:09:09(UTC)
genocidal king

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11549 time(s) in 5886 post(s)
Katie: "I think it's important we all have a chance to step away from the world when we can," is the truest statement I've ever heard. A lot of the time you just need to have that divide between who you are and what your music is. People don't get that a lot, but it really does give you a whole new perspective that can facilitate so much growth. I can see that it's something that's really worked for you here! As much as the world needed and really missed your music, this is so fresh and new. It has that sort of buzzing vibe around it that you only get from something no one else is doing. Actual goosebumps. You never fail to show such amazing progression in your eras.

Cassie: Well well well....look what the cat dragged in...I'm kidding, I'm not like that anymore. I have to say, the dark message, the really sharp electronic sounds and that wonderful morbid atmosphere you've created here just gives me chills. Music with character, that's what we needed. Something that challenges the listener. I could learn to like you, Vanity ;

OOC: As always, your lyrics are just putting us all to shame :P Awesome RP, really well written. Great to see Vanity back again as well, it's always good when she's around. Also that's another ace soundalike I had never heard, so thanks haha :D
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked genocidal king for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 22/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Welat65  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2015 05:26:08(UTC)
Welat65

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 2936 time(s) in 783 post(s)
CosmaMendoza: I loooooooooooveeee this song so much omg. It kinda scared me first, but it gave me life after a few seconds. I think these dark songs are literally ment for you, it's just perfect.

OOC: For real, I jumped at the first second when I heard the sound alike. lol
Aliya RoseBarbie DollEzra Allan • MOON • NicoleYumiRealTalk.com (Talk Show)

• VENUS •

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked Welat65 for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 24/07/2015(UTC)
Offline dohaihoangnam  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2015 01:11:36(UTC)
dohaihoangnam

Groups: Registered
Man
Viet Nam

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Reese: WOW. While you've always been kind of out of the box and definitely not cookie-cutter to me, and I love you for it, but this is definitely the most "bizarre" (it's a good "bizarre" :P) I've ever seen you! The song's production might be kinda new for you and your fan base, but the lyrics are definitely relatable, at least to your antisocial fans (like me lol), cause sometimes you really do need to get away from and kinda block out reality for a moment and come back a new person. In short: kooky but awesome production, amazing lyrics. Love you and your music :)
UserPostedImage
"Deep breath in, deep breath out, now"

UserPostedImage

// REESE HOLLINSWORTH //
thanks 1 user thanked dohaihoangnam for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 25/07/2015(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2015 21:18:00(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: you know what I like best about pretty much any quote from vanity? Taken out of context and delivered in a different tone? They could easily be from a serial killer . but if that serial killer made this music? You'd love every minute of being killed and having your skin worn.

Vanity: If I had to kill anyone for their skin, it'd be you, Erich. I imagine it smells of cigarettes and cologne.

Originally Posted by: genocidal king Go to Quoted Post
Katie: "I think it's important we all have a chance to step away from the world when we can," is the truest statement I've ever heard. A lot of the time you just need to have that divide between who you are and what your music is. People don't get that a lot, but it really does give you a whole new perspective that can facilitate so much growth. I can see that it's something that's really worked for you here! As much as the world needed and really missed your music, this is so fresh and new. It has that sort of buzzing vibe around it that you only get from something no one else is doing. Actual goosebumps. You never fail to show such amazing progression in your eras.

Cassie: Well well well....look what the cat dragged in...I'm kidding, I'm not like that anymore. I have to say, the dark message, the really sharp electronic sounds and that wonderful morbid atmosphere you've created here just gives me chills. Music with character, that's what we needed. Something that challenges the listener. I could learn to like you, Vanity ;

OOC: As always, your lyrics are just putting us all to shame :P Awesome RP, really well written. Great to see Vanity back again as well, it's always good when she's around. Also that's another ace soundalike I had never heard, so thanks haha :D

Vanity: It's especially true if you have a mind like mine... I think about a lot of fucked up things. It's always wonderful to receive compliments from geniuses, so thank you, Katie. I think you're an incredible gift to the industry... does your talent know no bounds? I mean, you were the best person I've ever made out with. I could learn to forgive you for the years of bad-mouthing, Cassie...

OOC: You think so with this weirdo song? Hahah, thank you very much. And you're welcome, I love it too. =)

Originally Posted by: Welat65 Go to Quoted Post
CosmaMendoza: I loooooooooooveeee this song so much omg. It kinda scared me first, but it gave me life after a few seconds. I think these dark songs are literally ment for you, it's just perfect.

OOC: For real, I jumped at the first second when I heard the sound alike. lol

Vanity: That wasn't my intention, I'm sorry, darling. But very pleased to hear you like it, it's always a little unnerving to come back with new material... but as long as you like it, I'm a happy VanVan.

OOC: Heheh sorrrry. :D

Originally Posted by: dohaihoangnam Go to Quoted Post
Reese: WOW. While you've always been kind of out of the box and definitely not cookie-cutter to me, and I love you for it, but this is definitely the most "bizarre" (it's a good "bizarre" :P) I've ever seen you! The song's production might be kinda new for you and your fan base, but the lyrics are definitely relatable, at least to your antisocial fans (like me lol), cause sometimes you really do need to get away from and kinda block out reality for a moment and come back a new person. In short: kooky but awesome production, amazing lyrics. Love you and your music :)

Vanity: Your opinion is highly appreciated, Reese. I think you're wonderful! I know you too like to push the envelope and redefine what a male pop singer should be, I think it's great. I think we all have our antisocial moments, me more than most... it's nice to just be surrounded by nothing but your own thoughts. Thank you so much. X
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
dohaihoangnam on 25/07/2015(UTC)
Offline Princess_Valentine  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2015 05:49:17(UTC)
Princess_Valentine

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2517 time(s) in 1482 post(s)
Lexi: Vanity being back = the rest of the artists not having a chance. Lol glad you're back to slay us Queen Vanity. ;)
DominicBrown|LeslieNielsen|LexiMarieTaylor|JordanSnow|AllyHansen|AriaKingsley

thanks 1 user thanked Princess_Valentine for this useful post.
GirlSpice on 26/07/2015(UTC)