logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#21 Posted : 11 June 2009 04:45:02(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Captain Insano wrote:
I dont look at it as right or wrong..just someones choice on what they feel is right for them

I definitely agree with you!
Offline Aj  
#22 Posted : 11 June 2009 05:11:51(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Well, basically all i was going to say was already said. However Maccy D's and KFC will never go away from you choosing to be a vegiterean, i dont believe you can just say your going to be a vegeterean because of that, i believe you should go do something about it.
And in the Rincewind/Gildermershina argument, in my opinion, what right do you have to eat something if you havent done anything to get it is a valid point, but technically you have paid the butcher to kill the animal because it's not your job to kill it, in the society wehave. Insimple terms, in my opinion we have people who do things like accountants and shiz and then the accountants are supplied their meat by the butchers, and they pay the butcher to do their specific job, like an ant colony :) thats how i think stuff should happen anyway. But im HEAVILY against maccy d's and kfc. But, i am hypocritical and sadly i do eat a lot of maccy d's - usualy one ever week. Which to be honest isnt doing my conciense or my health any good.

Basically, i rant a lot. What i mean, is we should be more like an ant colony :) you dont see the queens charging the others for cleaning their swimming pools or buying dog food now do you? ;)
#23 Posted : 11 June 2009 05:17:51(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Aj wrote:
Well, basically all i was going to say was already said. However Maccy D's and KFC will never go away from you choosing to be a vegiterean, i dont believe you can just say your going to be a vegeterean because of that, i believe you should go do something about it.
And in the Rincewind/Gildermershina argument, in my opinion, what right do you have to eat something if you havent done anything to get it is a valid point, but technically you have paid the butcher to kill the animal because it's not your job to kill it, in the society wehave. Insimple terms, in my opinion we have people who do things like accountants and shiz and then the accountants are supplied their meat by the butchers, and they pay the butcher to do their specific job, like an ant colony :) thats how i think stuff should happen anyway. But im HEAVILY against maccy d's and kfc. But, i am hypocritical and sadly i do eat a lot of maccy d's - usualy one ever week. Which to be honest isnt doing my conciense or my health any good.

Basically, i rant a lot. What i mean, is we should be more like an ant colony :) you dont see the queens charging the others for cleaning their swimming pools or buying dog food now do you? ;)

As a Hispanic person is really hard to stay away from meat (Mainly what we include in our foods), but sometimes me and my friends go to Ethos Vegan Kitchen, they serve delicious soy foods. I've bought soy food, but you got to admit they are a bit expensive but it is worth your money.
Offline Gemma375*  
#24 Posted : 11 June 2009 07:04:14(UTC)
Gemma375*

Woman

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've been vegetarian since I was 12, and I'm 19 now and grew up in an all meat-eating family, so I have pretty strong opinions on this debate and have probably heard any argument meat eaters have on the subject a million times!

Personally, I don't think there is any justification for, what I see as murdering an animal for NO reason what so ever. I don't believe eating meat is better for your health; as long as you eat a balanced vegetarian diet you will gain protein and iron from a wide range of pulses and vegetables as well as from meat substitutes. If anything I am much healthier, and have so much more energy, now than I ever was when I was a meat eater. It's also helped me to discover a wider range of healthier, tastier foods. Also, let's not forget that consumption of red meat has been linked to heart disease and stomach and colon cancers.

Slaughterhouses and meat processing plants emit more harmful gases which contribute to global warming than anything else, bar cars.

I agree that people who eat meat should think about what it really is that they are eating, and to see it as a dead animal, rather than just something tasty to eat. People say they couldn't kill the animal themselves, or can't bear to watch programmes about slaughterhouses because they're trying to distance themselves from what it really is in front of them. If you're eating meat, I think you should be comfortable with what it really is. What makes the life of a cow, chicken or lamb less important than a dog's?!

Annnnnd finally, for anybody who plans using the "there would be too many animals about if we didn't eat meat", it might be useful for you to know that most animals we eat are reared on farms in which animals are bred, usually using artificial insemination, to create MORE animals, which are reared specifically to be killed and eaten. No meat eaters = no surplus of animals being bred = no radical increase in animals compared to humans.

Animals are not killed for us to "survive". If they were, myself and millions of people around the world wouldn't be not only surviving, but doing so quite healthily, today.

EDIT: OH! And, I don't see meat-eating as "natural" either, as if that was the case, why is everything used to kill and prepare meat man made? Lions, yes, naturally they can eat meat: their weapons are their teeth, speed and natural strength and they eat it raw, as it is. If we went running after a cow and sunk our teeth in, how far do you think we'd get?!

Edited by user 11 June 2009 07:09:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Live Youth are: ---------------------------------------------- Billy Maddison (Solo artist)
Gemma Ferns (Vocals) -- Dean Keller (Lead Guitar)
Jason Cevallos (Guitar) -- Guy Collins (Bass)
Tyler Albright (Drums) -- Levi Reiss (Keyboard)
Offline forkboy  
#25 Posted : 11 June 2009 07:34:19(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
We are not a meat-eating species, we are omnivorous. We can eat both. It's impressive.
#26 Posted : 11 June 2009 07:36:00(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

forkboy wrote:
We are not a meat-eating species, we are omnivorous. We can eat both. It's impressive.

Thats funny, it reminds me of this guy in my Bio class, we got into this huge argument because he was saying that we were carnivores and were not, we are omnivorous.
Offline Gildermershina  
#27 Posted : 11 June 2009 07:38:46(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Gemma375* wrote:
EDIT: OH! And, I don't see meat-eating as "natural" either, as if that was the case, why is everything used to kill and prepare meat man made? Lions, yes, naturally they can eat meat: their weapons are their teeth, speed and natural strength and they eat it raw, as it is. If we went running after a cow and sunk our teeth in, how far do you think we'd get?!

I think that's a moot point because human ancestors naturally developed hunting techniques millions of years ago. We use to eat mammoths. Humans are capable of eating raw meat, red meat in particular is perfectly edible, but we prefer cooked meat because it allows us to create complex meals and kills bacteria our sissified immune systems can't handle.

But yeah, if I had to kill the animal myself to eat, I'd probably only eat fish and shellfish, or animals that die of natural causes.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline xNightsidex  
#28 Posted : 11 June 2009 09:03:34(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I personally am a Pescatarian purely for dietary and personal health preference issues. Red meat is proven to be very bad for the body, whereas white meat such as fish has been tested as beneficial in adequate amounts.

Plus I don't really like the taste of red anyway. Nice and simple.
Offline Gildermershina  
#29 Posted : 11 June 2009 09:53:57(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

xNightsidex wrote:
I personally am a Pescatarian purely for dietary and personal health preference issues. Red meat is proven to be very bad for the body, whereas white meat such as fish has been tested as beneficial in adequate amounts.

Red meat had also been proven to be very good for the body. Depends what criteria you're using.
Offline Raphaela  
#30 Posted : 11 June 2009 09:54:47(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Like Gemma, I'm the only one in my family (not counting distant relatives that I don't even know) that is a vegetarian. Because of this, they make fun of me almost all the time. I ignore them, but it's not so cool to have someone saying your choice is "wrong" or whatever. This was when I told me cousin I don't eat meat.

Cousin: Want a bit of this steak?
Me: No, thanks.
C: Come on, it's tasty!
Me: I'm a vegetarian.
C: Do you want to lose weight or something?
Me: I do it mainly for the animals.
C: That's dumb.

Not to mention both my father and his uncle have cattle farms where they sell the animals to slaughterhouses.

Gemma375* wrote:
I agree that people who eat meat should think about what it really is that they are eating, and to see it as a dead animal, rather than just something tasty to eat. People say they couldn't kill the animal themselves, or can't bear to watch programmes about slaughterhouses because they're trying to distance themselves from what it really is in front of them. If you're eating meat, I think you should be comfortable with what it really is. What makes the life of a cow, chicken or lamb less important than a dog's?!

This is something that pisses me off. Once there was a video on TV about slaughterhouses and my mother changed the channel in horror. If she thinks it's so bad, why does she eat it?
And also when people get all scared when it's mentioned they eat dogs or other "pets" on some countries, and they have no problem eating other animals. I mean, it's still a life anyway.

Edited by user 11 June 2009 10:52:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline forkboy  
#31 Posted : 11 June 2009 10:48:16(UTC)
forkboy

Gildermershina wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:

Red meat had also been proven to be very good for the body. Depends what criteria you're using.

Yes. Indeed. Like many things, moderation is the key. It's like "red wine is good for your heart": it doesn't mean go out and hammer a bottle a night.

Incidentally, I am a veggie. But out of convenience and habit more than any moral justification. I was brought up a vegetarian, and I find the smell and appearance of most meats to be unplesant.

Edited by user 11 June 2009 10:50:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bikz  
#32 Posted : 11 June 2009 11:05:28(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I'm also the only vegetarian in the family. I got laughed at to start with (especially when my grandma bought me Jelly Babies, which not only contain beef gelatin but are weird anyway, who would want to eat babies?), but they've accepted it more now. I thought I'd be seriously limiting my diet when I turned vegetarian - quite the opposite. There are so many alternatives out there, being vegeterian isn't all about soya and salad. I'm not only eating more moral foods, also tastier and more varied foods than before. (I do occasionally get animal meat on my plate, but only when my kitten Roxy's in a very annoying mood and decides that sitting on my dinner when I'm halfway through eating it is a good idea. But would eating raw cat be any worse than eating any other animal?)
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
Offline Instead of the Everyday  
#33 Posted : 11 June 2009 12:02:36(UTC)
Instead of the Everyday

forkboy wrote:
"red wine is good for your heart": it doesn't mean go out and hammer a bottle a night.

Shit. You're not supposed to do that?
Instead of the Everyday is:

Mike Hurley (Vocals / Guitar)
Kevin DelGaudio (Guitar)
Sam "I am" Winters (Bass)
Rob Palladio (Drums)
Anton Pierce (Keybords)

UserPostedImage

IotE is signed to M/M Records
Offline Rincewind  
#34 Posted : 11 June 2009 23:15:13(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Instead of the Everyday wrote:
forkboy wrote:
"red wine is good for your heart": it doesn't mean go out and hammer a bottle a night.

i don't know, its not doing me much harm....
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline old.gregg  
#35 Posted : 12 June 2009 02:34:40(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I only eat white meat and fish. For a pretty simple reason - I don't like red meat. The taste, the texture, doesn't attract me in any way.

I quite like some of the meat substitutes you can get, too, a lot of them taste really nice.
-
Offline forkboy  
#36 Posted : 12 June 2009 03:17:42(UTC)
forkboy

Instead of the Everyday wrote:
forkboy wrote:

No, that's what vodka is for
Offline Gildermershina  
#37 Posted : 12 June 2009 03:42:09(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

old.gregg wrote:
I only eat white meat and fish. For a pretty simple reason - I don't like red meat. The taste, the texture, doesn't attract me in any way.

I quite like some of the meat substitutes you can get, too, a lot of them taste really nice.

A veggie burger is okay, but man, I just want to taste meat in my mouth.
#38 Posted : 12 June 2009 04:22:36(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

You know whats my favorite veggie dish, and you guys may find it nasty but this is really healthy. Spinash cake. (soy eggs and milk used)
Offline forkboy  
#39 Posted : 12 June 2009 06:00:46(UTC)
forkboy

Gildermershina wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

A veggie burger is okay, but man, I just want to taste meat in my mouth.

HOMO
Offline bikz  
#40 Posted : 12 June 2009 06:31:24(UTC)
bikz

Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
forkboy wrote:
Gildermershina wrote:
I just want to taste meat in my mouth.

HOMO

LOL! That's classic.
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence