logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gorloche  
#21 Posted : 29 June 2009 12:30:59(UTC)
Gorloche

Groups: Registered

HellRaider wrote:
Sankarihauta: I realized there weren't any folk/viking/pagan metal bands here so I started one. Sankarihauta means Warrior Grave and is a song by Finnish pagan metal band Moonsorrow. Might expect a name change since I'm not too happy with it as of now.

Don't change it. Also, Moonsorrow is totally sweet.
Offline Chimp Records  
#22 Posted : 29 June 2009 12:31:51(UTC)
Chimp Records

Gorloche wrote:
bikz wrote:
The Nightside Bikithan Cat Collective - xNightsidex + bikz + cat band + The Grand Society Collective (they were a collaboration group back in t'day, as was TNBCC).

Cool! I didn't know that I inspired you to name something.

Gorloche - I like to tell people that it is a portmanteau of two Gaelic words, one being the word for silly and another being the word for lake or a body of water. When taken as "silly body of water", it acts as a self-deprecating joke about people, as we are made primarily of water. So it becomes a witty wordplay thing. The real story is that in class, both before college and now, I would doodle random things to keep my mind busy while I was being bored to death, as most do or did. I drew the Grim Reaper with a backpack and called it Kryolotor, Teenage Death. I then wrote down the name Gorloche as a similar name to come up with something for, but I never got around to it. I use it for online stuff because it is distinctive, unique, and easy to remember for most people (the opposite of Gilder).

Enoch - They were originally called Azazel, which is a name for Satan in Judeo-Christian mysticism. Enoch is a figure who, according to Abrahamic myth, ascended bodily into heaven on a fiery chariot. Also, in the occult text The Book of Enoch, he describes the language of the angels, Enochian. I changed the name to Enoch because he's an interesting mythological figure (I'm not religious, but Abrahamic mysticism is terribly interesting to me). Originally, their first stuff was primarily based around mysticism until I branched out (one was a concept album about someone reaching Solomon's temple in their dreams and some stuff along with that, another had the album and track names all in Enochian, and the third was based around the tribes of Israel).

Sudan - I was in sort of a political mood at the time and was writing really terribly socially-conscious poetry inspired by the later-period work of Death. I wrote one thing called "Sudan" that I thought was alright, so I decided to make a new band that would be a metal band and have that name. If you know anything about Sudanese politics, you'd know why someone would write something scoially conscious about it and be able to get away with just calling it "Sudan".

The Theosophical Society - This goes along with the mysticism theme that I built up around Enoch. The Theosophical Society was a real mystic spiritual group of ritual magicians, occultists and mystics in the late 19th and early 20th century. The name is just so fantastic that I had to use it for a name once I decided to make a supergroup out of Sudan and Enoch. I highly recommend Wikiing the society, because it is all terribly interesting, especially if you have a passing interest in the history of occult groups. It's all pretty bogus, but really interesting. Releases from all three bands are referred to as releases by the Theosophical Society Collective because that is what they essentially are; a collective of bands recording and releasing music under different names dependent on who they are recording with at the time.

The Grand Society Collective - The name was a reference to the scope of the band (comprised of: the Theosophical Society, 10 members; Herr Fische, 8 members; Waterlelie, 6 or 7 members) and has obvious ties to the Theosophical Society name. It was meant to be similar for branding purposes but have Grand to signify both size and quality. Short version: It sounded similar but better.

Pharaohs - I was thinking about Sun Ra, a jazz saxophonist who also lead an orchestra (his Arkestra) and had his band dress like space pharaohs (he was from Saturn, you see), as well as Pharaoh Sanders, another famous jazz saxophonist. This made me think about a jazz band comprised of people dressing as pharaohs, with those bitchin' hats and white-and-gold robes and all to touch on these various references to Egypt in jazz and it struck me as totally sweet. Then I realized I had jazz-trained musicians in my fake, fake bands and decided to make it.

Tremors - I wanted to make a grindcore side-project band and this sounded the most grindcore without also sounding stupid.

Waters (defunct) - A reference to Roger Waters and what I imagine the aural texture of water to be, kind of spacious but bubbling almost. This reflected the major influences on the band as I saw it. I have not remade them in the new game nor do I plan to.

RJ2 (defunct) - When my friend gave me his two accounts, one was named Raptorjesus (which became Waters) and the other was named Raptorjesus2. I didn't like how the names sounded dumb, so i changed the first but couldn't think of another for the second band. So, I just shortened it to initials to tide me over until I got one. But I liked how RJ2 looked and it kind of reminded me of R2-D2, so I just left it as is.

You got some interesting yet weird names It's more of a complement than an insult. Infact, I don't consider it an insult
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline Gildermershina  
#23 Posted : 29 June 2009 14:27:11(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Oh, also:

Mongolbord Surfingturd: This is the label my bands would be on, if they were on one. It partially derives from Secret Chiefs 3 sub-band #7, NT Fan, a name evolved from earlier Trey Spruance band, Noddingturd Fan, which itself is named after Turd, a band featuring his Mr. Bungle bandmates Trevor Dunn and Mike Patton. Noddingturd became Surfingturd when I came up with a guitar tone in my amp modeller which was surf-ish. Mongolbord is some kind of derivative of Mandelbrot, as in Mandelbrot set (look it up), but to do with Mongols, and the bord part being close to board as in Surf Board. So string all that together and you've got MS...
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Instead of the Everyday  
#24 Posted : 30 June 2009 03:36:01(UTC)
Instead of the Everyday

I always wondered where the hell mongolbord surfingturd came from. Hehe.

Instead of the Everyday is intended to conjure up a feeling of uniqueness, or a break from the ordinary. The dullness of everyday life can wear down a body and soul, just as the dullness and repetition of so many bands today using formulaic song structures and lyrics do to our ears and hearts. My band is, as they say when you open a window after using the bathroom the morning after a long night of drinking, "A Breath of Fresh Air."
Instead of the Everyday is:

Mike Hurley (Vocals / Guitar)
Kevin DelGaudio (Guitar)
Sam "I am" Winters (Bass)
Rob Palladio (Drums)
Anton Pierce (Keybords)

UserPostedImage

IotE is signed to M/M Records
Offline tension101  
#25 Posted : 30 June 2009 15:37:11(UTC)
tension101

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
tension101 came from the band I was in at the time of joining TRSG, 1r0n1c t3n510n.

Bodycount conjured up from a song by 1t, "Rockstars are only famous because their dad has a bodycount of, like, 47 and need to go to jail but they cant because they have incredably good lawyers, and their sons are rockstars so they could pay the victims family off well."

Shadows of the Knight was the name of the death metal side project I was in for like, literally, three weeks.

Well, I Think It's Beautiful came from an old inside joke me and my buddy Nic had.

That's it, I suppose, unless I decide to make a new band later.

Edited by user 30 June 2009 15:38:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Too much leather chair is unsightly and greatly increases your risk of leather-smell.
Offline SRankin  
#26 Posted : 01 July 2009 06:41:22(UTC)
SRankin

SRankin - It's my name, so generally my username for a lot of things. It's easier to remember the sign-in names and usernames for things if they're all the same... obviously.

Sunset, Etc. - It's what I'd name my band in r/l, even if I was solo- which I am... er. I just like the idea. People expect sunsets to mean something, so the 'etc' is a play on that. It sort of patronises the word 'sunset'. I like the ambiguity. The 'etc' could be almost anything. Some people associate sunsets with light, day and sunrise. Some people associate it with beaches, walking hand-in-hand, and the colour orange. It's just what you make it.

If I wasn't so hungry, that would have made far more sense.
Offline blueleh  
#27 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:05:14(UTC)
blueleh

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
User name = I took a pic n it came out blue, people called me Leh not Lee...so it kinda went together

Smash Up = no fucking idea xD
YES I OWN:
Smash Up (Signed)/Electrona (unsigned)
Vertical Down (unsigned)/The Electro Theory (Unsigned)
Broken Doll Reviews/Entertainment/Aftermath! Festival
No Guts No Glory tour
UserPostedImage
Offline Mouschi  
#28 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:26:11(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Mouschi : Contrary to popular belief, it does not mean "Mouj-she". xD This was my original forum name when I joined in '06, named after my stuffed cat Katie van Mouschi, Moronics band leader Kaethe van Mouschi, and my personal record label Rekordfirma van Mouschi, led by Katie.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ooc info : debikzification
rp sites : bik.ki | dtbotb5 signups open! | official-g2l.com
kateverse rp : kateoffyourcolours 26/10 | danhellyeah 25/10
Offline Aj  
#29 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:26:23(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Gildy, why don't you rp?
Offline Mouschi  
#30 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:27:19(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

Aj wrote:
Gildy, why don't you rp?

He does. It's just in his head, is all.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Offline Chimp Records  
#31 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:30:23(UTC)
Chimp Records

Mouschi wrote:
Aj wrote:
Gildy, why don't you rp?

I don't mean to sound mean or wicked or anything of that sort but Bikz, using a different account name doesn't really mean you're "putting away your mod hat" cuz you are still on and monitoring the forums.
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Artists Signed To Chimp Records:

Moonwalkers
Raven
Meta
Lycant
Delirium
Eclipse
MC Donalds

Offline xNightsidex  
#32 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:34:28(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Chimp Records wrote:
Mouschi wrote:
Aj wrote:
Gildy, why don't you rp?

I don't mean to sound mean or wicked or anything of that sort but Bikz, using a different account name doesn't really mean you're "putting away your mod hat" cuz you are still on and monitoring the forums.

Removes the temptation?
Offline Gildermershina  
#33 Posted : 01 July 2009 07:43:30(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Aj wrote:
Gildy, why don't you rp?

Because I don't quite get the RP section. People post the track list and then people go "I love the guitar solo on "Joan's Massive Exploding Face""

But you know what, just for you guys, I might do a one off interview of one of my bands...
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline Mouschi  
#34 Posted : 01 July 2009 08:02:17(UTC)
Mouschi

Woman

xNightsidex wrote:
Chimp Records wrote:

Removes the temptation?

It does, it's easier this way. I just want to keep out of moderatorial work for the time being.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage