logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PANIC!  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2020 03:43:23(UTC)
PANIC!

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
UserPostedImage
Released: October 16, 2020
Recorded: 2020
Studio: Oro y Plata studio (Bozeman, Montana)
Genre: Folk, electronic
Length: 5:12
Label: Studio 60 Records
Songwriter(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez
Producer(s): Ryan Ross Hernandez

"Darkness in the Light / Light in the Darkness" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Ryan Ross Hernandez, released on October 16, 2020, through Studio 60 Records. It is the second song Hernandez has released in 2020 and just a month after the official release of "In Hate We Trust, USA". The release conceded with Hernandez's forty-third birthday. Proceeds from the song will go towards the National Breast Cancer Foundation, in honor of Hernandez's late mother, Maria Rosa Hernandez, who passed away from breast cancer in early 2017. The artwork features a black and white picture of Hernandez from 2005 taken by his mother backstage at one of his concerts, the photograph serving as some inspiration for the the idea of darkness and light explored in the track. Upon release, "Darkness in the Light / Light in the Darkness" received positive reviews from music critics, many praising the latest bold move sonically that Hernandez has made, along with his unfiltered songwriting approach. Some critics believe that the musician has shifted courses for the next chapter of his storied career, no longer using his romantic relationships as inspiration or writing songs that can be speculated to be about an ex, after his previous single "In Hate We Trust, USA" served as a protest song for social justice.

Background and composition

"Darkness in the Light / Light in the Darkness" is an understated cinematic track, the first half built around a gentle acoustic guitar and layered vocals, while the second part takes a more upbeat turn with an electronic keyboard playing through the remainder of the song. Hernandez sings in a mostly hushed tone, at certain points his delivery getting shaky. It does not follow a typical song structure with no chorus, instead serving more as a stream of consciousness. Lyrically, through the song it is revealed to be inspired by the death of Maria Rosa Hernandez, Ryan's late mother who passed out in 2017, a fact that was not known to the public prior to the release. "Darkness in the Light" takes the listener through the heartache, grief, and regrets of a loved one passing away. The final stance of the first section questions the existence of an afterlife and apologies for an attempted suicide if his mother could have seen it. "Light in the Darkness" bounces between the two ideas of darkness and light, trying to find which outweighs the other in the long run. Ultimately, while still carrying some reservations, the narrator decides against giving up on himself, with an eye towards the positive that can come in the future.

Darkness in the Light / Light in the Darkness

The day of your funeral, the rain it did not stop
My hair and suit were drenched as I collapsed to my knees
I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing out of me
I watched your body being buried in the ground
You would just decay away there
And I’m suppose to keep on living
I questioned what’s the point of anything in this world while we’re alive
We’re breathing and living day to day
Until one day it all stops and we vanish away into nothing

I kept your phone and I still pay the bill
‘Cause somehow I think you’d still use it to call me someday
The years since you’ve left they’ve been pretty tough
I haven’t been doing too well for myself
You never liked it when I drank too much
Now I do it every day just to try and forget that you no longer exist
I’m sorry for being a disappointment to you
I never visited you enough
I only called you when I remembered
I bought you that house you always wanted but I forgot that I left you alone in it
I don’t have the guts to sell it
I don’t want to give your things away ‘cause it’s not my right to do so
It should have been yours
It should have been yours

You were stronger than you ever gave yourself credit for
I know you shed so many tears for so many years
Yeah, I probably got my depression from you
But it’s given me a living for the last twenty years
And in darkness I never feel alone because the shadows are always here

You did the best you could as a single mother
Did I ever thank you for that?
Have I always been so selfish and caught up in my own problems?
My memories get more blurry as the minutes pass by
Now that you’re dead, I have no family

Lying on your death bed, you looked at me and smiled
A few tears rolled down your eyes
You knew the end was near
I held your hand as I tried not to break down
And after a night of no sleep, seeing your soul slowly leave your body
You were dead by 6:33 am on a Thursday morning
And I screamed
"Fuck cancer, fuck the world, and fuck everything"
Now that you're gone I'm all alone

All the regrets I have
All the grief I carry
I try to drown them in a river of liquor
That would not have solved anything
But at least you wouldn’t have to see your only child buried before he even hit forty
I don’t believe in heaven
I don’t think that you’re watching over me
But if somehow you can I’m sorry you had to see the suicide attempt
I’m sorry you had to see me on suicide watch

Don’t you give up on this world so easily
There’s so much you still have to experience
Marrying someone who fills the gaps in your heart and you grow old with
The birth of your children and raising them to be good people
For every shed of darkness on Earth, there’s some light cracking at the seams

You should give up on me
There’s a good reason why I’m in my forties and single you see
I carry so many demons on my back
They’re all trying to drown me in self-loathing
Happiness is something you need
But what if I can never find it?
What if the darkness carries more power in this world than the light ever can?

Don’t you give up on me
I’m not perfect by any means but at least I’m trying to get better
I’ve cut down on drinking and empty sex with strangers
It hurts that you won’t be by my side at my wedding
And that my kids will never meet their grandmother
But I’m trying to become someone you would have been proud of
I’m learning how to become a light in someone else’s life
I wanna be a light in someone else’s life
Just as you were for me, mom

Credits and personnel

Ryan Ross Hernandez - vocals, acoustic guitar, keyboard, songwriter, producer
Autumn Webster - backing vocals
Christopher Draper - engineer, mixer

---

Comparable To:

Edited by user 18 October 2020 04:30:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 11 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 17/10/2020(UTC), erich hess on 17/10/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 17/10/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 17/10/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 17/10/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 17/10/2020(UTC), FiveT on 17/10/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 17/10/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 18/10/2020(UTC), freestylechamp on 20/10/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 13/11/2020(UTC)
Offline GirlSpice  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2020 05:56:00(UTC)
GirlSpice

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Vanity: The race to #1 is on. *manic laughter* I'm kidding. Is this the time and place to be kidding over something like this? Because damn, this song... the lyrics made me cry, the tone of your voice gave me chills, it's so good to hear raw, passionate music like this, and from you of all people. So good to see a veteran still around, and putting out their best material at that. You haven't lost it, mister!

OOC: The feels! Ryan's lyrics are always phenomenal, but this one really hits hard with the emotion & meaning. So good!
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
PANIC! on 18/10/2020(UTC)
Offline Andre Gandra  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2020 07:20:06(UTC)
Andre Gandra

Man

Was thanked: 3513 time(s) in 1683 post(s)
Abie Lena: No matter how long it has been, you're always going to be missing something. Like if the reality of your world has been torn apart and you can clearly see that even though you find joy and happiness in life there's always the other part of yourself which is gray and blue. I have lost a father and an auntie for cancer, I have also lost a friend for a tragic accident. You really reached my soul with this track. Thanks for that... I guess...
Characters

Magie Lena
Abie Lena
Julia Volkova
mISTER_b
Groove In Downtown

I was gone for a while, but I'm back (not that you care about LOL)
thanks 2 users thanked Andre Gandra for this useful post.
Atonic Records on 18/10/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 18/10/2020(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2020 01:42:20(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
Serenity: This song is absolutely beautiful, Ryan. It made me miss my mom so much and I can't say I know how you feel because everyone is different but I definitely know the pain of losing a mother. I'm sure she would have loved this song just because it came from you. As you know, my mother never got to hear me sing or hear my songs either but I just know they would have loved giving birth to two talented individuals who put their all into their craft.

OOC: Amazing lyrics, once again. I'm always baffled how you're just so good at songwriting and storytelling with your songs, it is a serious talent.
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
PANIC! on 21/10/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2020 01:22:06(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19124 time(s) in 7592 post(s)
Joshua: I lost a close family friend to cancer and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. So cruel and undeserved. I can't imagine what it must be like not just to lose your mother but to something so ruthless and unforgiving. Fuck cancer. I'm sure you read my message regarding a donation. You have my full support with this. I've downloaded the track and have also been streaming to help with its numbers. Such a sad yet beautiful song. Well done, Ryan.

OOC: Once again, top notch work here. I love reading your lyrics and imagining the stories being told within.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
Offline RadioVine  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2020 15:21:41(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1056 time(s) in 339 post(s)
RadioVine: I’m just fuckin jealous you never disappoint.. you are a diamond in the rough Ryan.. of course I’m the dirt you’ll buried in. I’ll play this song again I get off meds.
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 1 user thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
Offline 2001clay  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2020 04:37:31(UTC)
2001clay

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3544 time(s) in 1268 post(s)
David Dankworth: Man your song just really hit home for me. My grandpa died when i was in high school junior & it was a low time for me to get over but now i'm getting there it just so hard to talk about it & kept it hidden but right now i'm finally speak up about it & love your song by the way.

OCC: That was very good concept of this song & i love love love it
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
PANIC! on 29/10/2020(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2020 04:53:14(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Vanity: The race to #1 is on. *manic laughter* I'm kidding. Is this the time and place to be kidding over something like this? Because damn, this song... the lyrics made me cry, the tone of your voice gave me chills, it's so good to hear raw, passionate music like this, and from you of all people. So good to see a veteran still around, and putting out their best material at that. You haven't lost it, mister!

OOC: The feels! Ryan's lyrics are always phenomenal, but this one really hits hard with the emotion & meaning. So good!

RRH: I am still in disbelief that you are not at #1! Thank you for the very kind words. I am honestly terrified to perform this song live in the future because listening to it still breaks me down. I don't even know how many vocals takes we did and I just decided to say fuck it, this song is not meant to sound perfect. I appreciate you, a true icon in this business, for checking it out and supporting what I'm doing after all these years.

OOC: Thank you! It was a tough one to write, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by: Andre Gandra Go to Quoted Post
Abie Lena: No matter how long it has been, you're always going to be missing something. Like if the reality of your world has been torn apart and you can clearly see that even though you find joy and happiness in life there's always the other part of yourself which is gray and blue. I have lost a father and an auntie for cancer, I have also lost a friend for a tragic accident. You really reached my soul with this track. Thanks for that... I guess...

RRH: I completely agree with you. There are certain events you go through that will always stick with you like a cloud hanging over your head. It's difficult to even find that will to continue on. I am sorry to hear about your losses. I can't say this song gives the listener much comfort but it is impactful for anyone that has lost someone close. It's bound to be something everyone has to go through sooner or later.

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
Serenity: This song is absolutely beautiful, Ryan. It made me miss my mom so much and I can't say I know how you feel because everyone is different but I definitely know the pain of losing a mother. I'm sure she would have loved this song just because it came from you. As you know, my mother never got to hear me sing or hear my songs either but I just know they would have loved giving birth to two talented individuals who put their all into their craft.

OOC: Amazing lyrics, once again. I'm always baffled how you're just so good at songwriting and storytelling with your songs, it is a serious talent.

RRH: Thank you, Serenity. I know you've experienced the lost of your mother at a young age. I can't even imagine how I would have processed that, when I lost mine when I was 39 years old and it felt like a limb was taken taken off my body. I'm sorry your mother never go to hear your music or see where you are today, but I am certain she would have been incredibly proud of the woman you have become. I have that slight comfort that she got to see me perform and hear my songs, even if she never got that one song she wanted from me. Now let's have a drink soon, please! Haha.

OOC: Haha, I try! I'm not great following typical song structures, so I prefer the storytelling songwriting style. Thanks so much for the kind words!

Originally Posted by: BrownSugar Go to Quoted Post
Joshua: I lost a close family friend to cancer and it hit me like a tonne of bricks. So cruel and undeserved. I can't imagine what it must be like not just to lose your mother but to something so ruthless and unforgiving. Fuck cancer. I'm sure you read my message regarding a donation. You have my full support with this. I've downloaded the track and have also been streaming to help with its numbers. Such a sad yet beautiful song. Well done, Ryan.

OOC: Once again, top notch work here. I love reading your lyrics and imagining the stories being told within.

RRH: It's fucked up, man. Most people have a story about cancer affecting someone close to them and it sucks. I wish I had never had to write this song because it would have meant I'd never gone through it and my mom would still be here. I did read your message and I greatly appreciate it, my friend. It means a lot. Thank you for everything.

OOC: Thank you! Some lyrics come easier than others, this one was not one of those. I had it lingering around for months before I got it down in the way I wanted.

Originally Posted by: RadioVine Go to Quoted Post
RadioVine: I’m just fuckin jealous you never disappoint.. you are a diamond in the rough Ryan.. of course I’m the dirt you’ll buried in. I’ll play this song again I get off meds.

RRH: Shit, diamond in the rough? Thanks! You're far too kind. It's a heavy song and I wish I could have released it with a disclaimer. It's a song that does not need to be played all the time, but it is there tucked away for when someone needs it.

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
David Dankworth: Man your song just really hit home for me. My grandpa died when i was in high school junior & it was a low time for me to get over but now i'm getting there it just so hard to talk about it & kept it hidden but right now i'm finally speak up about it & love your song by the way.

OCC: That was very good concept of this song & i love love love it

RRH: Thanks. It's a constant battle you will have when you lose a close family member or friend. It's not easy for anyone to talk about and it took me literally years before I was at a point emotionally and mentally where I could even release such deep-cutting, personal song. I'm glad you enjoy the song and I'm sorry for your grandpa.

OOC: Thank you!
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
2001clay on 29/10/2020(UTC), BrownSugar on 29/10/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 29/10/2020(UTC)
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2020 04:37:44(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Silver Spoons: One of my biggest inspirations! I was heavily inspired by you and The Rockers when I recorded "Man of Your Dreams"! I know how personal this song was to you but sometimes that's how we heal from situations. I hope that this record does that for your situation.

OOC: Always doing the damn thing! Love it! I have been enjoying Ryan Ross Hernandez's comeback; love how he's touching on real-world issues with the first single; kind of separates his music from most of the stuff that's out! This single on the other hand seems more personal and it was a good contrast to the last!
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
PANIC! on 13/11/2020(UTC)