logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2020 04:14:33(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19114 time(s) in 7586 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Joshua Grimmie
Title: Good Day
Genre(s): Ska Punk, Reggae Fusion
Length: 4:01
Writer: J.Grimmie
Producer: Joshua Grimmie
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: GOLDENHEART

Good Day is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released worldwide on November 7th 2020 as a promotional cut and instant gratification track for the pre-order of his forthcoming second studio album, GOLDENHEART. On the morning of the 7th, Grimmie teased that a new track would be on the way but never clarified a specific date. Later that day, Joshua released the song in a link alongside a celebratory tweet regarding the incumbent President Trump losing the presidential election to Joe Biden. The track was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua Grimmie himself. It is listed on the pre-order of the album as Track 1. The song was written in early 2020, becoming one of the last to be created for the record. "Good Day" continues with the same boisterous soundscapes and self-aware lyrics heard on the previous releases from GOLDENHEART. "Good Day" is a ska punk track with a reggae fusion crossover. While a somewhat "heavier" sound for Grimmie, the song contains a playful and campy vocal delivery alongside his trademark tongue-in-cheek lyrics.

Taking a more experimental and introspective approach with his sophomore record, Grimmie decided that no sounds or topics were off limits while in the studio. The vast experimentation can be heard instantly on album-opener "Good Day" almost instantaneously, opening with slow New Orleans funeral brass and jarringly jumping into punky guitar licks and drum beats a few seconds in. "Good Day" sees Joshua set out on his day with clarity and a new perspective, wanting to lead a more positive life and making an oath to no longer feed into the negativity thrown his way by his spectators. While the overall theme of the song has been clarified, the reason behind Grimmie's new lease of life is open to interpretation. On the surface, it appears as though it is just a moment of clarity on a brand new morning. However, certain lines within the song can suggest otherwise. "It's like I've finally found that clip for my roach" has caused many to believe the song is about getting high to escape negative vibes while, "'Til I grabbed that big spanner, gave me a good fix" may suggest post-masturbation "clarity".

Joshua wrote:
"I wanted to open the record with "Good Day" for a couple of reasons. It definitely has fun, album-opener vibes and it's like the flipside to where I left off the last album with "Breathe Fire". That track was based on one of my typical dead of night breakdowns; reflecting on how much I fucked up that day and in life in general. All that good stuff. "Good Day" is set on a brand new morning, wanting to leave that behind and start again, making this day count. GOLDENHEART is a real journey. It's fucking RAW at times. I don't hold anything back on the album. Sitting "Good Day" at the top of the record represents the positive mood I always try to start my days with and the following tracks are like all the unwanted chaos that inevitably ensues. Contrary to popular belief, I don't bask in misery and drama. It just happens to find its way to me."

Good Day

A hundred different rooms all in my little head
What lurks behind some doors fills me up with dread
Disembodied voices saying things I can't repeat
But today I wanna dance to another beat
Slippery terrain, uncharted territory
And if I should fall, I plan to land on my feet

Shield and sword, I'm a goddamn gladiator
Throw them on the floor; piss off all the spectators
Bloodthirsty roars; no longer rising to the agitator
Don't fuck up my zen, go and find another perpetrator

Set my sights high and marked them with an X
Manifesting outcomes with my whole damn chest
I'm over the shit of yesterday
Gonna let my favorite music play
It's a real good, a real good, a real good
It's a real good day

For a while things were getting really heavy
Tiptoeing everyday just feeling kinda leery
Whatever's in the grass was bound to encroach
Knew I had to take a different approach
Was slippery terrain, uncharted territory
It's like I've finally found that clip for my roach

Forgot all my manners and couldn't give a shit
Was going bananas and ready for the split
'Til I grabbed that big spanner, gave me a good fix
Back in business with a whole new box of tricks

It's a real good day

I know it's a real bitter pill to swallow
But I also plan on smiling tomorrow
Man, I put on my funky socks today
There's nothing gonna get in my way
It's a real good day

Rest assured, my motives aren't ulterior
I'm just tired of the rough and tough exterior
Clogged up and swallowed too much of their bacteria
Threw out the rule book, to Hell with the criteria
Poking and prodding making me feel oh so inferior
Dude, I'm just looking for something a little bit cheerier

It's a real good day

I know it's a real bitter pill to swallow
But I also plan on smiling tomorrow
Man, I put on my funky socks today
There's nothing gonna get in my way
It's a real good day

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 08 November 2020 07:41:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 9 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 08/11/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 08/11/2020(UTC), C4AJoh on 08/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 08/11/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 08/11/2020(UTC), FiveT on 08/11/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 08/11/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 08/11/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 11/11/2020(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2020 04:55:12(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17910 time(s) in 10405 post(s)
Erich: all right,joshua. i can rock ass to this. one cant be "surprise" all the time. sometimes its neat to grab some smoking stuff,yank the old crank and call it a day.

Erica:i see no clues for the urban legend of joshua here. but i still ADORE the song. between joshua and radio,there is some fine music these past few days.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 08/11/2020(UTC)
Offline 2001clay  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2020 05:06:30(UTC)
2001clay

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3540 time(s) in 1266 post(s)
Fatima Amari: Now this song is bloody hell good!!! I love love every minute of it!!!! Oh & congratulation on winning FCA VII

OCC: Can't wait to hear more of Joshua Grimmie album & you doing good job than me
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My Character:
Jade Trembay,
Ava Tuffin,
Gabby Love,
Jamel Jones,
Tamar Gilbert (TikaBKilla),
Rose Harris,
Liam Russell,
Natalie Mays,
BabyCrush
FRESH MIGUEL CA$H
Face2Face,
Murda Bling,
Cosmic Blue,
Camille Preston,
Chanel C. Fox,
Aubrey Cassidy,
Sophia Delaney,
Midnight20,
Sally Parkwood,
Tika Mays,
Diego Lopez,
Samantha Stevens,
Crescendo,
Paige Wesley,
Mr DJ Hurricane,
Keshia Love,
Stardom Boys,
Milian,
Sau'ron,
Alexis Brooke,
JasmineCharm,
Christina Moreno,
iCandy,
Slim Money,
Fatima Amari,
David Dankworth,
Ciara Lovett
thanks 1 user thanked 2001clay for this useful post.
Offline FiveT  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2020 07:35:04(UTC)
FiveT

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 3231 time(s) in 1294 post(s)
Natasha (The Jollies): Well, thanks Joshua for creating a song that feels like my mood right now. The "Forgot all my manners..." verse feels so familiar to me for some reasons I won't even explain, ugh. Good track anyway, dear. I like this sound.

MY ACTIVE ACTS
Titans (Laurence, Jo, Martina, Den, Tanya)
Kegan Dawson - Actor, presenter, radio speaker, model, showman
Cj Frankson - Youtuber, Actor, model, showman
Rashai Mari - Model, Dj
Igor Stanovski - Russian tycoon, businessman
Claire Becker - Writer, vocal coach, presenter, radio speaker
Augusto Lincoln - Enterpreneur, model, manager
Lukas Paradiso - Model, Actor

The Jollies
Zafari Mari 👩🏾‍🦲, Rose Hemsworth 👩🏻‍🦰, David Hernandez 👱🏻, Natasha Stanovski 👧🏻, Fabriano Galore 👨🏻

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Creating Sims content here on my YouTube channel! -----> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Tq0J8bDFMidZWlrFK0gtQ
thanks 1 user thanked FiveT for this useful post.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2020 08:15:29(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

Silver Spoons: Just got the chance to catch up today with a lot of music and this track stood out to me! Joshua Grimmie is the moment!

OOC: One of my favorite No Doubt songs no doubt (no pun intended). Amazing job with this RP :)
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
Offline BrownSugar  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2020 00:54:57(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erich: all right,joshua. i can rock ass to this. one cant be "surprise" all the time. sometimes its neat to grab some smoking stuff,yank the old crank and call it a day.

Erica:i see no clues for the urban legend of joshua here. but i still ADORE the song. between joshua and radio,there is some fine music these past few days.

Joshua: "Yank the old crank" is my new motto. It's been a rough year, Erich. Thank you for your kind words about the song. I hope it yanks your crank whenever you're down. Erica, there's always filth to be found in my work if you squint hard enough haha

Originally Posted by: 2001clay Go to Quoted Post
Fatima Amari: Now this song is bloody hell good!!! I love love every minute of it!!!! Oh & congratulation on winning FCA VII

OCC: Can't wait to hear more of Joshua Grimmie album & you doing good job than me

Joshua: Thank you, Fatima. I appreciate your kind words!

OOC: Thank you! Not long until it's out :)
UserPostedImage

thanks 2 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
2001clay on 19/11/2020(UTC), erich hess on 19/11/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2020 01:02:19(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: FiveT Go to Quoted Post
Natasha (The Jollies): Well, thanks Joshua for creating a song that feels like my mood right now. The "Forgot all my manners..." verse feels so familiar to me for some reasons I won't even explain, ugh. Good track anyway, dear. I like this sound.

Joshua: Thank you, Natasha! While this album is a deeply personal one, I am hoping that everyone can still resonate with a bulk of the lyrics. Glad that this song reflects and showcases your mood. Hope you rock out to it and have yourself a really Good Day ;)

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

Silver Spoons: Just got the chance to catch up today with a lot of music and this track stood out to me! Joshua Grimmie is the moment!

OOC: One of my favorite No Doubt songs no doubt (no pun intended). Amazing job with this RP :)

Joshua: Thank you, Mr Spoons. With what's going on in the world and a lot of subject matters on my upcoming album also being rather dark, I thought I should release something a little bit cheerier as a gift. Glad you like it!

OOC: Thank you! And yes, it's one of mine too. The band have been a huge inspiration for a bulk of this project :)
UserPostedImage

Offline GirlSpice  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2020 21:22:40(UTC)
GirlSpice

Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7399 time(s) in 2464 post(s)
Nadia: JOSHUA. I don't know what I love more - the banana split line, or the one about your funky socks?! I feel like if I tried to write a song this fun, I'd either look like a clown, or a boomer. Maybe both. Probably both. I digress. I'm in love with the ska-reggae vibes, the whole sound is just nostalgic to me and the lyrics are so playful and uplifting - you certainly brightened my day! :)
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

ACTIVE:
Vanity x Nadia Berry
thanks 1 user thanked GirlSpice for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 20/11/2020(UTC)
Offline PANIC!  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2020 06:26:00(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
RRH: Are you trying to revive ska? Should we start a Reel Big Fish cover band? This is a fucking feel good song and I'm all for it. I like to consider myself the sad fuck of the music industry, but that does not mean I can't throw a song like this on and just let loose. Everybody knows you're one of the best songwriters around today, so yo have more than earned the right to write any song with any subject matter you want, without risking sounding "campy." Now gives us that damn album, you bastard!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked PANIC! for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 26/11/2020(UTC)
Offline RoseJapanFan  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2020 06:31:45(UTC)
RoseJapanFan

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 14997 time(s) in 6773 post(s)
OOC: I really love this! I think ska is the one genre I probably have listened to as much as gregorian chants (although both slap if in the right mood) I'm not sure if anyone on here has really taken on ska to this extent, maybe as a featured genre on a song or album but you seem committed to it Laugh And what can I say, I don't think anyone expects a bad lyric from you and even if you wrote one we probably would never know because it all seems top notch to me! Excellent work :)
UserPostedImage
Do you like reading reviews on anime? Manga? Games? Do you wanna support a fellow black nerd? Then click above.
UserPostedImage

Isabel-Pixie-Nova-Jennifer Armstrong-Dylan Shaw-Eden Pryce-Taara Jay-Jupiter Jones-Imani
Kato-Eilidh-Nothing But Trouble-Hayden-Serenity Scott-Anaísz-Kimi Kubo

"My God! We truly are a talented bunch. The fact that we write entire albums all on our own while the biggest stars in the world have 45 co-writers on ONE track?? Where the hell are OUR record deals and GRAMMYS?" -BrownSugar

thanks 1 user thanked RoseJapanFan for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 18/12/2020(UTC)
Offline BrownSugar  
#11 Posted : 20 December 2020 05:08:39(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: GirlSpice Go to Quoted Post
Nadia: JOSHUA. I don't know what I love more - the banana split line, or the one about your funky socks?! I feel like if I tried to write a song this fun, I'd either look like a clown, or a boomer. Maybe both. Probably both. I digress. I'm in love with the ska-reggae vibes, the whole sound is just nostalgic to me and the lyrics are so playful and uplifting - you certainly brightened my day! :)

Joshua: I've created a lot of controversy and written some pretty heavy things in my career but if I have to be remembered for anything, I hope it's for singing about a banana splitting and my funky socks! Honestly, I had that worry too! Thought it'd sound so odd but in the end, I just went for it with gusto. Confidence is key. Also, the manic ska punk production helps aid the slapstick nature of some of these lyrics. Couldn't very well croon those lines over a downtempo piano piece haha! I'm glad it brightened your day, Ms. Berry! That's exactly what I wanted from this fun little oddball song.

Originally Posted by: PANIC! Go to Quoted Post
RRH: Are you trying to revive ska? Should we start a Reel Big Fish cover band? This is a fucking feel good song and I'm all for it. I like to consider myself the sad fuck of the music industry, but that does not mean I can't throw a song like this on and just let loose. Everybody knows you're one of the best songwriters around today, so yo have more than earned the right to write any song with any subject matter you want, without risking sounding "campy." Now gives us that damn album, you bastard!

Joshua: I need to see you "let loose" to this song. Put it on and send me a video recording. Now. Glad that my little song has the ability to make a miserable bastard like you crack a smile ;) Seriously though, thank you so much for your continued support. It's something I'll always appreciate no matter what.

Originally Posted by: RoseJapanFan Go to Quoted Post
OOC: I really love this! I think ska is the one genre I probably have listened to as much as gregorian chants (although both slap if in the right mood) I'm not sure if anyone on here has really taken on ska to this extent, maybe as a featured genre on a song or album but you seem committed to it Laugh And what can I say, I don't think anyone expects a bad lyric from you and even if you wrote one we probably would never know because it all seems top notch to me! Excellent work :)

OOC: Ska music is something I really like, love in the case of No Doubt's material, but not something I ever thought I'd take on or pull off on here. Really, really happy that you and some others like it! I put this song out to test the waters before the album and wasn't expecting such a lovely response. Thank you so much!

UserPostedImage

Offline RadioVine  
#12 Posted : 20 December 2020 05:32:40(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1056 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Radio: Just when you thought you were elevated, you excelled! I just admire that the lyrics are just as fun as the best! It’s gets you going and knowing it’s you, you make it better. This whole album has been great for you and the material is iconic my love. Iconic!
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 1 user thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 20/12/2020(UTC)