logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BrownSugar  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2020 08:23:43(UTC)
BrownSugar

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Artist(s): Joshua Grimmie
Title: Swallow
Genre(s): Dance Punk, Pop Rock, Electro Funk
Length: 4:02
Writer: J.Grimmie
Producer: Joshua Grimmie
Label: Five Pesky Kids
From The Album: GOLDENHEART

Swallow is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter and producer Joshua Grimmie. The song was released on November 30, 2020, with Grimmie announcing its release and official artwork the day prior. It serves as the third official single from his second studio album, "GOLDENHEART", and the tenth track on the record overall. It was written, arranged, mixed and produced entirely by Joshua himself. Grimmie penned the track in February 2020, inspired by his creation of "Starry Eyed Dreamer" that same week. Up until that point, Joshua had solely written about personal circumstances and strayed away from worldly matters. "Swallow" is a dance punk song with elements of electro funk and pop rock infused within its layered production. It is noted for Joshua's "loose" and "sultry" vocals against a backdrop of "aggressive" electric guitars and power chords, as well as having one of the most contemporary beats on the album. "Swallow" has been jokingly dubbed by Grimmie as "electro pop but Marxist", taking a swipe at big companies and the capitalist ways of America in the lyrics.

Joshua initially intended for "GOLDENHEART" to contain songs purely reflecting his personal life over the last two years. However, after drunkenly creating the album track "Starry Eyed Dreamer", Joshua was inspired to branch out. He later stated that it was foolish to pigeonhole himself and that his fans would be disappointed if he didn't speak out on world issues. "Swallow" criticises big companies, slave labour and the consumerist mindset of the world. While admittedly one of the easy to write on account of him "just venting", Joshua stated that "Swallow" was the hardest song to produce on account of its heavy sound and multiple layers and elements. It features electric guitars, 80's inspired keyboard synths, contemporary funk/R&B drum beats and many "buzzing" and "whirring" generated effects, all culminating in a busy soundscape that is equally playful as it is chaotic. The packed production is said to reflect the fast pace of the consumer driven world.

Joshua wrote:
"I initially backed away from such broad matters for two reasons. One, I was self indulgent and only wanted to sing about me and two, my Twitter feed is already a dumpster fire of my opinions. It wasn't until I snapped out of that cloistered mindset when I "accidentally" created "Starry Eyed Dreamer" that I thought, "FUCK! I NEED to tackle this shit". It's part of who I am and so is my music. I can't keep it separate. So after penning an anti-war song, I went to another pet peeve of mine - capitalism. Man, fuck those big companies working people until their fingers are bloody stubs, paying them pennies and simultaneously killing the planet. Fuck Amazon, fuck those fast fashion brands and a major side-eye to those who don't care about it. With "Swallow" being about such a hectic, fast-paced, snappy lifestyle, the production obviously had to reflect that. Like with the rest of the album, I poured a WHOLE lot of influences in there to create a really dense, immersive track. I wanted that gradual, threatening build with something akin to "Billie Jean", chords like a big "Queen" anthem, a big punchy pop chorus that soars and then all these glitchy, weird fixings like a "Daft Punk" or "Buzz & Hype" track. It's the longest I've worked on the production of a song. It sounds so chaotic but it's also very intricate. It's such a rush. It's electro pop but Marxist. Ironically, you can buy it now!"

Swallow

Making you feel like less so you want more
Out of breath raising the flag up the pole
A good soul grinds on their nine to five
Making a nickel to the big cat's dime
Tiny little bows just to make you swoon
Can only eat the cake with a silver spoon

Never reaching the heights that you seek
No paddle and you're halfway up shit creek
No helping hand from those at the banks
This the thanks? This the thanks? This the thanks?

It's a hard and bitter pill to swallow
And you better hope that you don't choke
You'll have to beg and steal and borrow
Repaying the guy who threw the rope
I'd call it tasteless but they market our senses
Bottle them up with major expenses
Supposed to renounce every sin and vice
But 50% off is gonna make us think twice

Promises all laid out on a tempting plate
But not before you say their scripted grace
The little man next door drives all night
Bags under the eyes to give you the best price
Cutting quick deals as the planet withers
At least that old chestnut will be warm this winter

Authentic notes being spent on fakes
Picasso and Warhol are spinning in their graves
When we go, can't take what we purchase
Was it worth it? Was it worth it? Was it worth it?

And you don't have to be an outcast child
To free your mind and let your heart run wild
Declare independence, raise your own flag
Fuck their two cents, make your own stamp

Can Be Compared To:

Edited by user 02 December 2020 00:14:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 11 users thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 01/12/2020(UTC), 2001clay on 01/12/2020(UTC), PANIC! on 01/12/2020(UTC), Atonic Records on 01/12/2020(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 02/12/2020(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 02/12/2020(UTC), stephaniewazhere on 04/12/2020(UTC), GirlSpice on 04/12/2020(UTC), Andre Gandra on 10/12/2020(UTC), RadioVine on 20/12/2020(UTC), kandii on 22/12/2020(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2020 08:36:47(UTC)
erich hess

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17929 time(s) in 10421 post(s)
Erica: comrade Erica approves.

Nina: "comrade Erica" in her Stella McCartney...

Erica: there is no ethical consumption in a capitalist society. This outfit or the phone you're tweeting on. There is no real difference.

Nina: whatever lets you sleep on those hello kitty sheets at night,love.

Erica: you leave hello kitty out of this!!! Besides, the sheets were on sale. Bed shit is expensive.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 01/12/2020(UTC)
Offline FiveT  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2020 09:40:35(UTC)
FiveT

Groups: Registered
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 3231 time(s) in 1294 post(s)
Natasha (The Jollies): Ah, this rocky mood in this makes me want to become a total bitch and yell out on Christmas Day. Great.

David (The Jollies): OOOOhhh my, Joshua is such a man with such big big big balls. He's singing on this like he knows what he's doing. THAT metaphor on such political matter... Wow, isn't that powerful? Applause

JO Frankson: Man, this stuff is fuckin' high

OOC: Great one, once again, a very Joshua track! Tongue I can totally picture him singing this, with the whole rocky and sultry vocals and the lyrics are so on point with him, his story and personality. It's so cool what you are doing with him! Feels like a real singer with an actual message and something to say. Always liking that about him.

MY ACTIVE ACTS
Titans (Laurence, Jo, Martina, Den, Tanya)
Kegan Dawson - Actor, presenter, radio speaker, model, showman
Cj Frankson - Youtuber, Actor, model, showman
Rashai Mari - Model, Dj
Igor Stanovski - Russian tycoon, businessman
Claire Becker - Writer, vocal coach, presenter, radio speaker
Augusto Lincoln - Enterpreneur, model, manager
Lukas Paradiso - Model, Actor

The Jollies
Zafari Mari 👩🏾‍🦲, Rose Hemsworth 👩🏻‍🦰, David Hernandez 👱🏻, Natasha Stanovski 👧🏻, Fabriano Galore 👨🏻

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Creating Sims content here on my YouTube channel! -----> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Tq0J8bDFMidZWlrFK0gtQ
thanks 1 user thanked FiveT for this useful post.
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2020 23:42:49(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)

OOC: Some of these lyrics definitely reminded me of "Bjork's "Declare Independence" :P I"m a huge Bjork fan btw! Spectacular track! This is more of my style coming from him so great job!
thanks 1 user thanked stephaniewazhere for this useful post.
Offline BrownSugar  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2020 04:33:49(UTC)
BrownSugar

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 19148 time(s) in 7605 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Erica: comrade Erica approves.

Nina: "comrade Erica" in her Stella McCartney...

Erica: there is no ethical consumption in a capitalist society. This outfit or the phone you're tweeting on. There is no real difference.

Nina: whatever lets you sleep on those hello kitty sheets at night,love.

Erica: you leave hello kitty out of this!!! Besides, the sheets were on sale. Bed shit is expensive.

Joshua: Bed shit really is expensive. That's a price tag I'm not willing to swallow. Sorry, morals!

Originally Posted by: FiveT Go to Quoted Post
Natasha (The Jollies): Ah, this rocky mood in this makes me want to become a total bitch and yell out on Christmas Day. Great.

David (The Jollies): OOOOhhh my, Joshua is such a man with such big big big balls. He's singing on this like he knows what he's doing. THAT metaphor on such political matter... Wow, isn't that powerful? Applause

JO Frankson: Man, this stuff is fuckin' high

OOC: Great one, once again, a very Joshua track! Tongue I can totally picture him singing this, with the whole rocky and sultry vocals and the lyrics are so on point with him, his story and personality. It's so cool what you are doing with him! Feels like a real singer with an actual message and something to say. Always liking that about him.

Joshua: Natasha, I hope you still plan on yelling this out on Christmas Day! David, "big big big balls" is going on my tombstone now. Thank you! When it comes to politics, people are willing to swallow many things besides their pride and the truth. Maybe one day they'll listen! Jo, I wouldn't have my music any other way!

OOC: Aw, thank you! Joshua has such a strong personality and is highly opinionated so I find it quite easy to craft songs for him. He's always got shit to say! haha. Thanks again <3

Originally Posted by: stephaniewazhere Go to Quoted Post

OOC: Some of these lyrics definitely reminded me of "Bjork's "Declare Independence" :P I"m a huge Bjork fan btw! Spectacular track! This is more of my style coming from him so great job!

OOC: And here was me thinking I was being smart and original with this concept lol but thank you!!
UserPostedImage

WEEKEND: BILLY • DUSTYN • OSCAR • RILEY • SCOTT
PUBLIC WARNING: BEAU • CARTER LEE • JAKE • MYLES • ZANDER
THE STAT NERDS: BRIAN • CHRISTOPHER
THE ZONE: BLAKE • CHRIS • JASON • LIAM

JOSHUA GRIMMIE • LINCOLN • LAYLA • MERCEDES • MICHELLE GREEN
ANDREA • DENEIL • CHICAGO NOBODY • BLOOM • SONNY • VICTORIA BLACK
REUBEN • ELLIE-GRACE SUMMERS • ALFIE SUMMERS • MICAH DELISLE
JAMIE JACKSON • KONSTANTIN • FAYETTE • SAYYID

thanks 1 user thanked BrownSugar for this useful post.
erich hess on 20/12/2020(UTC)
Offline RadioVine  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2020 05:58:12(UTC)
RadioVine

Was thanked: 1056 time(s) in 339 post(s)
RadioVine: I don’t know why this song makes me wanna go get a black dress rip it up a little, with some red lipstick and some fucked off makeup from the night before.. I can’t listen to music like this because I’ll be inspired to go and fuck up some houses with bats. But it’s so good I can’t stop listening to it.

OOC: I never heard this song from NoDoubt but you’ve introduced me to a new song that I loved. This song with the Joshua’s album lay out works really well with the material. I can tell you wanted things to make sense sound wise and management wise. I love this.
UserPostedImage

PRE SAVE NOW!

thanks 1 user thanked RadioVine for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 20/12/2020(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 22 December 2020 15:55:00(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
Dae Ho Park: *sniffles* The fact that I really am in love with someone who isn't afraid to take a stand against all the evils of this world is so beautiful. Putting it all on the line just to speak the TRUTH, this is exactly what I wanted for me, for us. My dream guy. See you at the safehouse <3
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 22/12/2020(UTC)