logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kandii  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2021 08:55:15(UTC)
kandii

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 10467 time(s) in 3435 post(s)
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

"WHAT'S GOOD, EVERYBODY? It's ya girl, Rum! I'm back and thicker than ever!! 4 years ago,
I teamed up with Rap Genius to verify all of the lyrics from my debut album, Try Forgiveness.
Now listen, all of this was recorded so long ago, girl, I don't even look the same. However, to this
day I'm really proud of myself for opening up on this album and putting my soul into these lyrics so
I still wanted to give you guys all of these videos explaining what I meant on each song in full.
Hope y'all enjoy watching Rum snitch on herself, go buy and stream my album for me, thanks!"

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 04 March 2021 10:07:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 04/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 04/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/03/2021(UTC), PANIC! on 04/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 04/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/03/2021(UTC), C4AJoh on 20/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2021 08:57:07(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

Quote:
I swear you can smell it the minute you step in, desperation...sin...
It's all so present

The whole point of this song was to draw comparisons between people who go to church every Sunday to the people who go to the club every Saturday. Not even in a disrespectful way either, I'm not trying to call either of these groups out or anything. I'm just making a statement: we're all humans, we're all desperately trying to figure this shit out. We're searching for salvation in different ways and either way, it's pretty pathetic.

Quote:
They put their lives on standby so the speakers can make them feel low, you're entitled if you don't
No thoughts, no questions

Soak it all up like a sponge, a joke without the pun

Church is soooo long and usually, when you go to the club, you stay all night. We waste hours of our days in these settings soaking up these lifestyles, whichever lifestyle it may be. All just to hear someone tell you how to live. You got rappers in the speakers yelling, "Fuck bitches, get money!" and you got people at church speaking, telling you to pray a lot and read your scripture. To be in church and not really feeling the message is heavily looked down upon, you come off as extremely entitled and "too good for the word". It's the same thing in the club, if you not shaking some ass then bitch, what the fuck? Go home. There's not really any excuses or exceptions, not much of anything but the intake of your environment. You're supposed to turn up in the club or let go and let God in the church, it doesn't leave room to question and think about anything. As someone who overthinks and questions everything, I think a system like that is a whole ass joke.

Quote:
I chose my psalm

Whenever people drag religion, they always imply that religious folk are mindless and brainwashed, and the same is thought of party animals and club hoppers. I disagree with both. I think plenty of people realize the faults in the ways they live but just choose to anyway. They chose their path, they're gonna stick with it.

Quote:
Even traced the cracks of 2 rocks with my tongue
If you ask me, it's all the same
Sinner's crowd, glass stained

This song was originally written about alcoholism, where the person was basically like, "who needs the Bible when you got Henny?". This is kinda where that shows most. When I say 'the cracks of 2 rocks' I'm talking about the faults within the ten commandments as well as the literal cracks in ice when you drink something on the rocks. Both the club and church are full of sinners and stained glass is like the decorative glass in Catholic churches as well as like actual glass cups with water spots from alcohol and shit. Check all this wordplay, sis.

Quote:
Monkey see, monkey do, monkey don't, Simon Says what he wants
We dance along blindly

I HATE this line but chile... I'm mostly referring to the songs that like literally tell you how to dance and obviously holy scripture. The 'Simon' in these scenarios are the DJs and the speakers at church, whoever they may be. If I'm wording this weird it's because I'm trying to say preachers without actually saying preachers. I'm not trying to make this all about Christianity...they're not the only religion and aren't the only fuck ups. I'm tryna loosen my grip on their edges. I'm an equalist honey, we universally drag religion 'round here.

Quote:
We say we're here to learn how to live but we came to forget, selective of who to forgive
In the perfect world, it'd help put it all behind me

Missed the whole point, connected dots

I think one of the one reasons why someone would be like, "damn, I definitely HAVE to go to church/the club this week!" is because something has happened and they need to forget about it and receive confirmation that everything's gonna be okay. We go in wanting to forgive and forget but come out like, "Migos and I have decided that it's within my best interests to call up my shooters." A lot of our music and even holy scripture is low-key vengeful as hell, it doesn't help us at all. We take from it whatever we want, regardless of what they might actually be trying to say, which is usually not even all that better.

Quote:
Thank you, Brother Erich, for your testimony
It'd be contradictory if I said I agree, let's just say I don't disagree

My biggest problem with religion is that I used to be religious. Like, I really wasted years of my life trying to be accepted by something I KNEW didn't exist, me and that nigga named God always gonna have beef, bitch. This verse from me is basically my past semi-religious self as well as my present party animal self making excuses.

Quote:
I need something to believe, a trait common among all humanity
Blame it on my being, don't you blame it on me
We're all just looking for salvation, we're all just looking for confirmation
Let's study the stars' formation, maybe they know
Why the fuck are we here? Justify my ego

As I said before, the whole point of this song was to point out how everyone just wants confirmation and salvation. What I'm tryna say here is that as a human I can't find it in myself to actually believe in myself. I need to believe in somebody... something, you know? Just like anybody, I wanna know why we're here, I wanna know the point and if I can't find the answers I need, I'll take what I can get. Being me, that mindset doesn't last long, it's against everything I do believe.

Quote:
It's the worldwide webbing, everything's connected
Same old ladies in the front row used to crowd the dance floor, how much you betting?
Covers the same holes, just calls for different dressing

World wide web...connect...webbing [giggles]. Covers up.....different dressing....church clothes, club clothes... I know, I'm a genius. Lil Niña wid da wordplay always at it!!!

Quote:
Put 'em on payroll just to reflect on our life lessons
I came here not to think, you got the answers? Speak!
If at least I feel better when I leave, I'll take it, one for me

Everybody knows that hella people are excluded from the church but hella people are also excluded from the clubs too! Broke niggas don't have a reason to be happy in the club if they can even get in. They matter too, y'all! Be mindful!

Quote:
All for, "once upon a time, somebody got it right"
But I'll believe when I see it with my own eyes

This line is sort of where I fall out of faith. Whenever you start to lose belief in your lifestyle, you're always reminded of all these success stories. "Moses made it off the Earf, Migos made it out the club alive", and it's just like okay cool but that question of 'when is it going to be my turn?' is just left lingering in the air for soooo long.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
(You were there for me when I got knocked down)
(Shit, I'm bout to try again)
(I don't want you to leave)
(But we both know how this is gonna end)
(Before it all goes wrong, I'ma get you right)
(Before it all goes wrong, we still got time)

Okay well, I'm just gonna say it! This song is about Aikya Balan! We didn't really start telling people until the end but we were together for almost 2 years? It was on and off but it counts. I kinda ran back and forth between her and Brandon, it was a messy era in my life. When I got cheated on live television, I was in a few moods and when Aikya got eliminated from the Big Brother house, we started working together more, and things just sort of fell in place. She was there for me through it all and never felt like a rebound. We had something special and we both knew it wasn't going to go anywhere but we wanted to see how far we could take it.

Quote:
Don’t like the lights off, leave the TV on and bright
It’s like I’m scared of the dark until I see you in some blue light

People always ask me if I like the lights on or off and my answer is always both. Turn the TV on and let's fuck to some paid programming!

Quote:
Gonna let you take charge and do all that freaky shit you like

Aikya is as much of a freak as her music implies. Except she's the exact opposite as she writes... It's so weird. Small girl, small voice but extremely dominant. I was BLESSED, honey.

Quote:
My pride aside, it’s nice to have someone to talk to sometimes
You give great advice

I don’t take it though, no
You still don’t know me well enough
No one does, no one does
Yet sometimes I think you know too much

You could tell me how you feel about me all day but I won't believe any of it until you actually reach out to me. Showing that you trust me and care about what I have to say...that's all the confirmation I need. Since I know what it means to me, I always try to reach out to the people I love but I can never really accept their help and advice. They don't really know me. No one really knows me. I echo that idea throughout the whole album because I really am hiding so much from everyone and I'm tired of hoes playing like they know me. You don't, I swear to God. At the time, Aikya was the person who knew the most about me. Everyone was getting 5 percent of me while she was getting at least 40. That scared me a little, she knew too much. I was always waiting for her to throw her hands up and decide enough was enough but she didn't... Well, she kind of didn't get the chance to. I ran her away.

Quote:
I get you off
You turn me on
Come make me think
I’ll keep you warm

Sex if fun, sex is great. I love sex, honestly. But I also LIVE for some pillow talk. To lay down next to an intellectual​ and just let your mouth move while your mind runs and your heart races... It's such a euphoric​ feeling for me. After sex, some girls need you to tell them that you're in love but I like to talk about politics and astrophysics and aura colors and shit. I kind of miss that with Aikya, everything she has to say is interesting. Aikya in her entirety is just so intriguing.

Quote:
I was looking for balance
You came around and shook that up
You’ll never be mine, that’s why I want you so much
And you only want to know me, because I always make it tough

When the whole thing with Mariko went down, I just told myself that I was going to stick to myself and stay away from relationships but then... Aikya. [laughs] Do I really have to say more? What was so great was that it all felt backwards. We were so on and off because she didn't want to be pinned down. She'd literally break it off just so she could start fucking other people again and it all just made me want her more and more. I love a challenge, she did too. I feel like that's what kept us going for as long as we did.

Quote:
I don’t take this serious
For once, I know where I stand
We’ll never go far
But I’m good where I am
I'm good where I am

I mean, I guess if you know a relationship is gonna end it's probably best not to waste your time on it but I find it a much better alternative to feeling like a relationship is gonna last forever just to find out it won't. I was just really comfortable with our status and even our fate, I knew what it meant to us, I could brace myself for the impact and we'd both recover quickly.

Quote:
Underneath you, admiring the glow from my soaps
It’s like a filter, take your clothes off and put on a show
Make me feel a way I’d be too ashamed to admit
And we’ll never look at this show the same again

This is why I don't have sex to music! I don't wanna turn on my favorite song later and think about all that!! I'd rather YOU turn on your favorite show. I love all the different shadows shows cast in the dark....all the colors, all the movement. It's like a real live Snapchat filter, beautiful shit.

Quote:
I don't want to call this love, I just can't
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I always do
It's fun until you have to shake it off, it's like playing in the sand
I'll find a way to fuck this up, where will that leave you?
Don't want to feel like I do but I can't help it
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I'm helpless
Keeping you here is selfish
You'll realize it soon
I don't want to call this love, I just can't
I'll find a way to fuck this up, I always do
I'll find a way to fuck this up, where will that leave you?

I'm just so selfish, I know how I am but I let people date me anyway. [Sighs] I compare being in love with me to playing in the sand because I imagine it's very annoying and there's nothing more annoying than sand. Ughhhh, it's why I can't stand going to the beach. I've been living by beaches all my life, sand gets everywhere and is so hard to get off. Definition of a nuisance, yo.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
(When the memories come rushing in)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try, try)
(When the memories come rushing in)
(Try forgiveness)
(Try forgiveness)
(Just try)

I think this is my favorite song from this album. Mostly because it was inspired by the most influential trap group of our time, Migos. Legends, I know. I love the overall vibe of the song and the lyrics are so casual but like... at a second glance, you can tell that they're much deeper than what the groovy beat implies. The song is about my entire love life for the past 4 years or so, it's not really focused on just one person as the first verse kinda lets on.

Quote:
You know how I feel about waiting
When I started running my life, I think I ran out of patience

I hate having to wait for other people. It's mostly why I do everything by myself and maybe with those who I know for sure have a fast output. Putting my plans on hold while someone else gets their shit together? Over my dead body. The slows are such a burden, literal cumstains. Even having to wait for my parents or older brothers to do things for me when I was young made me want to punch holes in the wall. My grown ass definitely don't tolerate it now.

Quote:
I forgot you forgot to call, this is day 10
Which one of us gon' stop playing?
Talk shit but still so bad at communicating
Sucks being a wanderer's vacation
You make my mind wonder to day's end
It's why I let you stay, knowing you'll be gone 'fore the day ends

I wrote this with Brandon Grey on my mind. I don't know if I attract these kinds of people or what but niggas keep going ghost on me and it's so annoying. I'm not needy and I'm rarely in my feelings. All I want is CONSISTENT dick! How is that hard??? Just show up! It sucks to feel that way in something that's so loosely defined as a relationship. I never wanna come off as clingy or anything but sometimes I wish it wasn't so hard to say, "Can you stay around for a bit? I kinda like how you make me feel."

Quote:
If I'm gonna chase a grown boy, I'ma make it look sexy

You can talk a lot of shit about the decisions I make but at the end of the day...I did it all with a fair amount of sex appeal and you bitches can't take that away from me!

Quote:
Bought an overpriced bag, can't take you back, would if you let me

I actually don't buy a lot of overpriced things. Designers send me a lot of free stuff and whatever I don't have I just steal from Coke. But I do go all out for sneakers...I'm a big sneakerhead! Jay's, Adidas, Nikes, Yeezy's, KD's... WHATEVERS. Gotta catch 'em all!

Quote:
Messy! I got a soft spot for the hearts I can't have

I don't get rejected a lot so when I do, I don't really know how to deal with it. It's more like a challenge to me, like, "okay you aren't dumb enough to get involved with me NOW but wait a month, sis!" I swear I'm like some frat boy, except not...rapey.

Quote:
My love life's a marathon, same old shit back to back

My favorite marathons are Golden Girls marathons and Maude marathons. Maude is such an underrated classic. I also love The Jeffersons marathons, I mean who doesn't? Amen, a classic. 227, yes yes yes! And you can't forget about Night Court marathons! They're rare but they're out there!

Quote:
No new news, it's back to you, Brad!
Find a new way to hurt and think, "I'm bout to do that!"
Why else would I mistake a discrepancy for a bond?

At this point in my life, it's become really hard not to notice the pattern here. I keep getting the same result and every equation shares a common denominator... Me. Only so many people can leave you before you start blaming yourself. I think I choose the wrong people on purpose. I like putting myself through this, I feed off of draining my own energy somehow. I somehow convince myself it's real every time and act surprised when I realize it's not.

Quote:
I could understand if this was 'cause ecstasy's on the line
Don't know what any of it means, going out of my mind

I think the most stressful thing in a relationship is when you accidentally blur the lines and realize it's becoming more than lust. You don't know if the person feels the same and you don't know how easily you'll be able to get over it. You just know that it's not fun no mo'.

Quote:
I fetishize the shattered cause they reflect me on the inside

WOOH, THE TEA IS EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD TODAY!

Quote:
Outside can't be as fun as laying beside, you'll be back in due time
Close my eyes, if I don't wake up does it count as bedtime?

I'm always super dramatic about everything but at the end of the day, I know these no-good fools are gonna come crawling right back. And you're damn right, I'ma give them that second chance for the millionth time!

Quote:
I could die tonight but that'd just be boring

Honestly, if there is a god up there, they're not killing me off no time soon. I have so many more ways to fuck up left! I know whatever is watching over us is getting their LIFE at the mess of me. I'm probably their favorite antagonist. I keep the show moving, I get thicker with the plot. That bitch knows better.

Quote:
Before you broke my fall, I could've sworn I was soaring

Between fame and success, my life has been really euphoric. I really feel like the only thing that keeps me grounded is my love life. It never fails to knock me back to my senses. Just when I'm starting to have fun too! Ain't that a bitch?

Quote:
Nothing left to prove and yet, still so far from content

If I was a man, people would call me the greatest ever. I'm more than just an established rapper...I've been out here busting my ass for the Hip Hop community and I don't get half the respect I deserve because I rap about dick and sing about feelings. I really don't have anything to prove but I'm still out here craving that recognition. It's never enough for me.

Quote:
Really, I don't mind waiting 'round for it to all make sense
I chase my curiosities, it keeps my mind at ease
Bury me in loose ends, fuck a finale

There's just something so soothing about having questions with no real answers, and at the same time, it's so stressful. I don't like to think about me so distracting myself from doing that by trying to decipher another person is my kink. I want someone who's gonna keep me on my toes and leave me high and dry. I can't fuck with no boring hoes.

Quote:
Can't help but love a good mystery
Even if all they do is leave you sad and soggy

SIGH.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
You're too invested
It only leaves you restless
You swear you never hurt but they're so damn reckless
You're the only reason they're not wrecking
But they always seem to wreck it
You're crashing and burning but they never see it

If I could offer anything valuable to anybody on this earth, it's a strong friendship. I'm talking a whole ass support system. It's like I live vicariously through my friends, I'm happy when they're happy, I'm mad when they're mad. I notice though that when people are having a hard time they like to take it out on the people close to them. People think that since I'm so bold that I can handle whatever they send my way and won't take it to the heart. And I really try not to, but I always end up feeling like I'm letting people walk all over me. This song was about my frustration with that. Because in a way, I am letting people get away with trying me so that I don't have to burn bridges and I shouldn't have to even do that.

Quote:
So you tread lightly
For the sake of everyone else
Muffling your cries
Because you can't remind another of hell

I always want to make the people around me happy and comfortable. I never want to burden anybody with my problems, everybody's got problems, ya know? I just wish every now and then someone would be as selfless. I need an outlet too. It's not healthy for me to keep it all in.

Quote:
They'll never care enough
Enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough
Enough is enough

You ever feel like you're dedicating all your time and effort to someone who couldn't care less? Welcome to the team, bih! We winning...at losing in life!

Quote:
You're too inspired
You're too fucking decent

You know I had to sprinkle some bold ass lies on top of this joint. It's not Niña if there ain't at least 5 alternative facts present.

Quote:
You know well positivity doesn't make peace, give me the real reason
You'll argue over the smallest detail to your deathbed
But when your heart is on the line, you're silent

Treading lightly
For the sake of everyone else
Muffling your cries
Because you can't handle admitting you live in hell

There's a huge difference between debating and arguing. I like to debate but the minute I feel it getting heated, I quickly pull away from the conversation. Arguments are full of so much emotion and passion and they freak me out. I'm not gonna argue with people I care about, especially if I'm holding in a lot of emotions. I have the tendency to hurt feelings and I don't wanna hurt the people I fuck with. After a while it makes you question yourself though. Am I really just trying to stop myself from hurting people or am I too much of a pussy to say how I really feel?

Quote:
If you weren't already dead inside
Consideration would kill ya

Honestly, people are lucky that I'm mostly numb to the pain they cause me. I don't take it to heart, I take it piece by piece and let it build up slowly. I find it extremely hard to forgive people but I rarely act on my grudges. That's the only thing that's keeping the peace in me, or better wording would probably be, it's the only reason why I'm not swinging on hoes at the moment. Inside, it's a shitshow.

Quote:
Imagine if you could be as selfish
If only you cared for yourself this much
I wonder who tricked you into believing you don't deserve love
Why give it away to those who'll never care enough?
Will you ever be enough?
No

Y'all I really do feel like I'm underrated! People really out here leaving me like they never cared that I was in their life in the first place! How can I make an impact everywhere but on a person's heart?

UserPostedImage

Quote:
Today I don't really feel like rapping
But I'm not really too good at singing

I've never gotten vocally trained or anything, my singing comes straight from the soul. Now add the fact that I smoke 3 blunts a day and you're damn right, I'm not a good vocalist. That doesn't matter to me though, I can hold a note and carry out a melody. I'm a rapper first but people like my singing, so I do it from time to time.

Quote:
At least I'm finally writing with meaning
Coming from my heart and I actually mean it

When I write something, it comes from me but it's usually not necessarily about me. Everything I say in a song is something I want to say but there are those songs where I'm really personal and there are others where I'm just writing what people expect me to say. A big part of good songwriting stems from tending to a caricature. A lot of the songs I've made are vague sex bops and dark tracks about this sick sad world, and etc. This was one of those times where I just wanted to write about something that came directly from Niña instead of Rum.

Quote:
Damn right, I'm at a Denny's, and I'm in my feelings
Problem?

I wrote this while I was at a Denny's and mad as fuck at the world.

Quote:
It's not like it matters
But I've always been focused on what matters
Soon as I get done, I sit down, smoke one, and fade into the chatter
And I know it's good good when I just don't hear it

There's nothing more relaxing than rolling a blunt and blazing. Just sinking into the smoke and forgetting about all your problems. It's so therapeutic. It's nothing crazy but it IS the perfect dosage of 'fuck it' that I need in my life. I don't really do other stuff no mo. I don't really have to.

Quote:
I'm tryna get the point, I'm tryna figure out what's got me so down
But I'm so used to life eating me up and spitting me back out
It's not even like I don't care now
I just don't feel it

My life has been trash for 2 decades and some change. It doesn't surprise when shit hits the fan. But nowadays I got the whole world looking at me and I can't be as careless. I got shit to lose!

Quote:
I'm going numb, prone to dumb shit, still got a boo at home
And a best friend, and a cousin, and a whole family to call my own
Some people pray to stop their feelings

From an early age, I've always cared so much more about how the people around me felt rather than how I felt. It wasn't like back then I knew I was going to be a lost cause, that's just the first thing I taught myself to do, I don't know why. Everybody I cared about was just so unhappy and I wanted to make them happy so bad. I thought making them feel better would make me feel better but the whole time I was just neglecting myself. I guess that's why I'm so aggressive about putting myself first no matter what. I HATE that I put my friends and family before me but I just gotta make sure they're good at all times...can't if I'm out here wilin'.

Quote:
(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)
(Feelings)

Ah, yes. Mankind's most useless and arguably, worst, invention.

Quote:
They hit me with the, "ugh Nina you're so fucking dramatic
Been so damn moody lately, if you need space, you can have it"
Almost caused a havoc
But I stopped myself

Do I look like a damn Aries to y'all? I don't make up problems out of nowhere and feel emotions just to feel them! If I'm mad or sad, you better know it's for a DAMN GOOD reason. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve a lot but in those few times that I do? Don't discredit my emotions. You'll get your whole ass neck snapped playing with me like that.

Quote:
I'm fucked up in 'bout a hundred ways, the last 10 is y'all fault
I tried and tried, cussed and cried, it's so hard giving the world your all
And that wasn't even my all, that was barely 10%
Child, don't even get me started

TURN THAT SHIT UP, FAM! I could've been a good person by now but y'all had me fucked up these last 5 years!

Quote:
I'm really truly proud of myself, that's what makes me so sad
Done spent all these years keeping me, now it's all 'bout to go bad
But if it means I can take off this mask
Cool

It's kind of bittersweet. Like I'm 100% giving up on trying to be a good person but at the same time, I'm giving the real me another chance.

Quote:
I really hate living this way, I really hate needing to live this way
But I love this life so much
I miss my last and feel like I'm betraying everyone's trust
Doing what I want, acting like I'm putting up a fuss
Most pray to get this life thing over with

I think when I tried to change myself, I went about it all wrong. The whole time I just lied a lot and hid my true feelings..it was so unprogressive. People around me probably thought it was for the better but I felt so empty. Real change is supposed to make you feel whole.

Quote:
Is this what they mean when they say love slows you down?
I got around to get around all the strings
Still got attached somehow and now they only see love
Instead of the monster in me

All of my greatest bonds start off as loose strings. It's kind of annoying. The whole point is so I don't get tripped up over one person and lose focus or worse, hurt them. I always end up doing that anyway.

Quote:
I'm yelling, "Hide your kids, hide your wives
Get out, run as fast as you can
The real me's been in hiding but she's coming back to town
Forget me before I remember who I am"

Can we just talk about this run?? Ughhh, I really did that. I'm such a cute singer when I wanna be!

Quote:
I need to feel it (feelings)
I don't wanna feel it (feelings)
Prefer not to deal with it (feelings)
But it's not just about me anymore (feelings)
It's best if I feel it (feelings)
Gon' kinda miss the feeling (feelings)
I'm all in my feelings (feelings)
And it's not just about me anymore (feelings)

This is a reoccurring theme throughout the album. I have a family to feed, a career to keep, fans to make proud. I can't just be out here cutting a fool anymore. I spent all these years complaining about how no one had faith in me and bitch, now somebody does.
thanks 6 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
BrownSugar on 04/03/2021(UTC), freestylechamp on 04/03/2021(UTC), Famouss7x7 on 04/03/2021(UTC), 2001clay on 04/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 04/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2021 08:57:48(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

UserPostedImage

Quote:
I lit the world up
‘Cause I could

Unlike everything else on the album, this track isn't actually based on one scenario...it doesn't really have a messy ass story behind it or anything like that. It holds more than one meaning to me and people who listen to it will be able to interpret and relate to it in more ways than one. I'll go with the meaning that's easier to explain: infamy. When I say, "I lit the world up because I could", what I mean is I made a lot of people mad, I'm famous for the wrong reasons and I don't care. I piss people off for fun and it ironically provides me with more opportunities to further my success.

Quote:
Some say you shouldn’t run
Sometimes you should
It’ll take your mind off things

When we started this whole Rum & Coke thing, Coke was the one that had all of the drive and ambition. She wanted to be successful, this was her dream. She had all these resources and opportunities, there was no way she was gonna let herself fail. On the contrary, I was a girl who grew up with no dreams, petty ambitions, and sans any real resources. When she gave me the opportunity to be apart of all this, I was just happy to be there. I lived a horrible life and wanted an out, fame gave me one. Music kept me busy, it was my favorite distraction.

Quote:
Made a mess where I won’t be long
Where they don’t know your face, you can’t go wrong

I'm more infamous than I actually am famous. That doesn't hurt my feelings, long as my music does well, I really don't care. I can act the way I want and whatever people say won't get to me. None of y'all know me, there's not much y'all could say. I get mad when people count me out and try to discredit my work but as far as the random hate? Girl stop. You can't troll a troll.

Quote:
So maybe I lit the world up
‘Cause I lost grip

I love saying I'm this big because I made it happen but that's such a lie. Even when we signed to a major label, I NEVER thought we'd get this famous. I didn't even want to be this successful, this shit is just one more responsibility I don't know how to handle. I can't really do or say anything stupid no more, too many people are freaking out and twisting my words. It's just...ugh!

Quote:
Don’t take it too serious
They’ll forget
The flames will burn out
Ash mistaken for dust
Almost made a memory here
But here, I never was

Honestly, I try not to stress myself out over this shit anymore. Make money, save money: that's my only goal. So many people waste their time trying to make fame last. It's not gonna happen, sis. One day we're all gonna be forgotten, despite how hard we worked to be remembered. Lighten the fuck up, have some fun, suck a dick on camera. Get the people talking, that's all they want!

UserPostedImage

Quote:
It was a good day
Celebrated with cuba libre
But none for you
None for—none for you
A glass to make him feel fancy
2 rocks though he prefers straight
All that just to wish he had a bottle of rum

As a whole, this song is written to my mama. It's like a cute 2 in 1, the first half of the song is a reflection of my childhood and how looking back, I badly wish I was the daughter she had always wanted. The second half of the song debunks that fantasy completely kinda snaps her and I back into the reality of my ways. This song is my life, to be honest. This is my theme song. I wrote these particular lines about the day I was born. My mom was excited, my dad was drunk and I was a problem.

Quote:
Did you cherish my youth, knowing I wouldn't be young for long?
Trauma, his blood, my first song
Who knows where I went wrong

In the family I was born into, you simply don't get to have a childhood. From an early age, you see a lot, you hear a lot, you experience...a lot. There's just no room to be naive and imaginative and dumb and I don't know, whatever the fuck kids do. There wasn't none of that. You can blame it on my environment, the music I listened to, even just the fact that I'm my father's daughter, but who really knows?

Quote:
Hurt you by hurting me, all you ever offered was help
I'll never forgive myself

When you're young, you never truly realize it but your parents just want the best for you. Looking back, I can see that now. I did my mamá so dirty all those times I fucked myself over.

Quote:
It was a good phase
I wasn't in denial just yet, but you were

Mamá really believed I would turn out a decent child, she just knew I'd be the one to do something big and bring abundance to my family. It was just a feeling she had in her heart. And I mean...more or less.

Quote:
Pink knockers and flowy skirts
You put it out into the universe
Just to have it all thrown up in your face

I was so rude! Mamá had to deal with all these snotty nose lil' boys and was so excited to finally have a girl who'd grow up in her image. All that hope, just for me to turn out to be a stud. The change in our family photos is so drastic. Didn't really start wearing feminine clothes until Coke put me on.

Quote:
My quick-paced spring days
Quickly overshadowed by my cold wintered mind
Nothing was ever the same
It all got worse over time

I was very susceptible to my environment but at the same time, I questioned everything. Once I get an idea in my head and I really think about it, it's impossible to talk me out of it. I've always been like that, I just get more hardheaded by the year.

Quote:
Try, try, try, try
I attempt it just for you
Try, try, try, try
Even when I'm tempted to lose
Try, try, try, try
You deserve a better view
Try, try, try, try
But all I ever give you is loose change, I need to change

My thing is, if I can't change for myself then I should at least take the people who care about me into consideration and change for them. Specifically, Mamá. I felt so selfish for putting her through hell, so I got this idea in my head that I'm obligated to be selfless for a change and become the daughter she deserved.

Quote:
Knew I'd be a problem before even getting to see my face
24 years in and mamá, I'm still the same
You weren't afraid, I'd be a girl and we'd let the men be men
Too bad I turned out just like them
You weren't afraid, you should've been

While the first few minutes were about me being a demon child, the lyrics are pretty hopeful, despite it all I'm trying again. The second half of this song is much more pessimistic. I tried and I failed, this part of the track is just full of me resenting that choice and being unapologetic about everything...everything but neglecting myself. I always neglect myself and that shit just isn't cool. This half of the track is where I finally start to put myself first.

Quote:
Didn't mean to fall for the wicked, wonder what you stayed for

Change is what you came for
Loose change is all you're gonna get

Me and my familia joke about this a lot. My dad trapped Mamá. Why else would such a smart woman stay with his crazy ass? That really makes you think though, as a woman. More than likely she stayed cause she was stupid. So many out there put so much faith and hope into what a man could be that they tend to overlook who he actually is. This is where I start to point out that flaw in my mom. It's a useless cycle and it's gotta stop. We both know how this one ends.

Quote:
Try a little tenderness
Far from sensitive but I'm already on my last wish
Been hoping a nigga would like the top of my wishlist

I'm not a sensitive person but we all have those moments where all it takes is that feather on top for us to blow our top. This was my moment. I had repressed everything and it was all coming back up. At this point in the song, I'm ready to spazz on hoes. Watch how you speak to me, think before you act.

Quote:
The mere Audacity got your girl on Protools speechless

Auda-city and Pro tools are both music software programs that a lot of producers use. Kinda just wanted to throw in a little wordplay.

Quote:
I tried forgiveness
But it always finds itself in my writing, I'm left to push it right back down

If you haven't realized by now, nothing on this album has happened in the last 6 months. Lotta this shit hasn't even happened to me in the last year. It's not like everything's still pressing me, I just haven't let myself write about any of it until now.

Quote:
I need permission for when to think
Mind's asking, "is it clear now?", been on standby for years now

The key to repression is to just not think. Like, at all. Go smoke, party, fuck, whatever you gotta do to just not think.

Quote:
Sit back and watch y'all act out, wondering if it's my turn now
You dreamed I'd turn my life around

That's all I really do all day: dream of treating people the way they treat me. I like to think about if that makes me the bad person in all of this, contemplating what that says about the people who claim to be good. Hm.

Quote:
I can't afford to change, I've gotten so good at faking sane
Live out my days behind the mask, pretend that under it we're all the same

I love lying to myself. One of my favorite lies has gotta be the one where I pretend everyone else is hiding their true selves and that deep down inside, we're all horrible people. That's not even slightly true, there are genuinely good people out there. I'm just not one of them.

Quote:
I can't afford to lose someone else and let them walk out of my life
Just because I got a little dramatic and started thinking twice

Y'all really gotta stop leaving me. Shit is starting to get out of hand.

Quote:
Tried but it's just so hard, I don't have patience for myself
I'm harsh, got all these standards but don't hold any when it comes to everyone else

I'm obsessed with trying to be the best version of me but when it comes to the people I love I always have this, "come as you are" mindset. If I was a normal person, this would all be a good thing for me, I'd run with this attitude and live a positive life. But I'm not and I can't...eventually, I need to learn how to accept myself. Constantly forcing myself to change who I am is just not the way to do that.

Quote:
I'm doing them a favor, can't you see?
I'm doing them a favor, what about me?

I always want the people I love to be comfortable around me. My arms are like a safe space. Here, you can be you. The real you. And that's just so ironic coming from me.

Quote:
Hope you weren't hoping for more
What needs to change are your expectations

I'll be 25 in about 2 months. Y'all should know me well by now.

Quote:
I changed and picked myself up off the floor
Hit rock bottom when they get out of pocket
Some change lives on forevermore
But most of it we just end up dropping
Change is what you came for
Loose change is all I can afford

Peep all this wordplay! This is where I start comparing my lazy efforts at changing to loose change...the coins. You find them by picking them up off the floor mostly and there's a ton of random ways you can lose change. Sometimes it falls out of your pockets, sometimes you just throw it out the window. There are even times where you miraculously hold onto different coins for a long period of time without even realizing that shit. Kinda used all of those instances to describe how subjective and arbitrary the change that a person goes through can be.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
I know temporary
I know the ways of the weak and the wary

I love the production of this beat so naturally, I had to go off. This song is about basically all the dummies who think they have to lie about loving me to get something from me. Here, I'm bringing the song in. I know temporary because I'm well aware people don't stay around forever. I also know the ways of the weak and the wary. Notice, I didn't say "weary" here, which is apart of the original phrase. Wary is important here because here, I'm speaking on Hollywood, everyone's on guard.

Quote:
I know you probably find that shit I spew compelling
I'm helpless
Worse than the ones you've already dealt with
No trust and it's telling

This brings me to my next point: Nobody trusts me and I don't trust nobody. For good reason on all sides.

Quote:
I'm a non-believer
Never ran to Mary, knew I'd always leave her

As the album winds down, I wanted to bring it all in and make references back to the album's religious theme. I'm a non-believer because I don't believe what people have to say but also, in the same way, not being able to have faith in people hinders me from having faith in higher powers too. It holds me back because since being very young, I've wanted something to believe in but I just try to play it off like nothing matters to me. Yet it runs on my mind and seeps through my lyrics so much because it does.

Quote:
I'm not fond of the shit I'm prone to do either
But if running keeps my Visa, I'm gon' speed up
"I made it" is not enough, gotta be the first one to be there

Being someone who doesn't believe in sin doesn't mean it makes it easier for you to commit it. We all have a moral compass whether or not we have a religious text constantly reminding us of it. But shiiit, sometimes it's the only way we know how to live and until the day we die, most of us are gonna keep livin'.

Quote:
They always fall
Because I make it so easy
When you give a little less and gain the world, it's always pleasing

If you're ever putting your best foot forward to love a person and it's hard for them to accept it, it's because they know you don't know the full truth. That's where my mind be at. How could you love me if this whole time I've been sparing you from the real me? The lesson here is, if you want to be loved you have to be honest not just with your lover but with yourself. If it scares you to tell someone about who you are and what you've done and how you live, that's probably not your person. It took me years to really learn that.

Quote:
(When I say I try...)
(I try, I try and I try)
(Why?)

Yall! I be TRYING!!!

Quote:
Don't know how to forgive, I'm passive
I let you act up, blow it past us
Not a big deal, it's fucking massive
Just when you start to forget, I hand you reading glasses
Just in case you weren't clear on what you did
Just in case you can't see all the damage
Look at this shit

I think what it is.. is that I'm probably manipulative and not sure how to really deal with problems head-on. I make it seem like everything's okay until I can get you back. I don't like when things happen to me and I can do nothing about it. I prefer to pretend like nothing has happened until I get my chance to retaliate. Then and only then can we really talk about it. Sometimes, no matter how hard I plot I can never get myself to actually retaliate in some situations and after waiting so long to, I just throw my hands up and come to terms with how things have played out. It's okay to not be in control of what people do to you and I'm trying to learn how to be okay with that. It's just hard for a real bitch like me.

Quote:
They treat me like a god for a reason
When I forsake them they don't come 'round for 'bout seasons
Form lines when they see me living right

Fame is by far the weirdest way to experience life. It can be very lonely not because there's no one around but because there are too many people around who don't want anything to do with the real you. They're always there when you're in your prime but on the days where you're feeling your lowest and need the most support, there's no one to turn to. It's like when it's Christmas day and the church is packed to the balcony but on a regular schmegular Wednesday night bible study it's only 15 people in the building. I know cus grandma Nita used to make us go. Now, if EYE was god, I wouldn't do shit for y'all either.

Quote:
You can use me but don't waste my fucking time
You can u-u-u-u-use me as you please
You doing you is always fine cause I got me
But when you use those silly lines you're just holding up the line
Even I can tell you're lying, don't waste my time
Don't waste my time
Don't waste my time

Everything is an energy exchange, it's all about giving and taking. I get bored and use people for excitement just as much as they use me. Ain't nothing wrong with that until you think you're fucking slick. Never try to confuse me, I'm grown, and like I said earlier, I know temporary when I see it. People do too much trying to lie and convince the other that things are more than they appear. I will always prefer someone who's direct and can state what they really want without feeling the need to add all this extra fluff and ass-kissing. Do our intentions align or not? People invest so much time into trying to trick others into doing what they want without understanding that there are people who wouldn't even mind participating. You don't have to lie to people to achieve anything unless you're just a damn snake. So yeah, don't waste my time. Be clear about what you want and you just might get it.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
Look me in the face and say it
Your eyes ain't even true blue
Claimed you've made your mind, I'm gone need proof

The last song on the album is Duality Reality. I think it beautifully wraps up the story I'm trying to tell on this album. I'm speaking on my duality as a bisexual woman and the struggles I've had in love because of it. In the first half of the song, a woman who's on the bisexual spectrum but is a little more on the straight side is trying to convince me that she loves me. As usual, I don't buy it. I think it's something we all run into in the community: gay women having a hard time loving women who clearly prefer men.

Quote:
Let me check your pulse again
I don't even care if our heart happens to be in sync
I wanna buy it but my dollar pink

The pink dollar is basically the buying power of the LGBT community. I'm making it real clear to this girl that I'm gay and I don't buy it!

Quote:
You swore it on the bible but what about a whole stack?
See a kettle and I think black
I got shit to lose here
This could just be a phase for you
Shit like that could take my whole youth
It'll have me creeping round at 42
You'll be happy you never had to choose
Settled down in Malibu
Married to a real dude
He’s still not enough

Yes, this is about a real-life person but I'm not going to namedrop her. I was considering making this a single but at the same time, ehhh. I'm questioning someone's sexuality on this song and I don't want the wrong people to get the wrong idea. Bisexuality is very valid, I'm bisexual. What I'm speaking on here is someone who is bisexual but only has plans to lead a heteronormative life. She says her heart lies with me but she's never going to give up her dream of having that picture-perfect nuclear family and that puts me in a terrible position.

Quote:
I live the best of both lives
It's all about compromise
I know what makes me happy, you're undecided
You gone crave a hybrid, never gonna find it

You can't want the best of both worlds while reaping the benefits of monogamy. Telling the world, "this is the person I love" and then creeping in the shadows and trying to convince me you love me as much as you love him. It just doesn't work like that and I ain't never been a stranger to late-night creeping but I can't participate when I really do love a person and don't want to disrespect myself. I mean, I can hehe, but not for long.

Quote:
We could paint the town a whole rainbow
I'd still have to take you home though
There's comfort in what you already know
Love's short when your money's long
For now, you're the one I want
Wish the feeling was mutual
I just wish the feeling was mutual

Sometimes, we just want what we can't have. In that situation, I think it played a big part in how I felt. Getting to have someone but not fully, that's how I've experienced love all these years and it's kind of sad how used to it I am.

Quote:
Doo-doo-doo-dual
Muffling your moans in my pillow
Here can't nobody here you
This the life you plan to live though

I love being with women. They're so... beautiful. The bodies, the sounds, the taste. It's like every woman is their own sexual goddess and I be honored to explore their powers. This woman I'm with though is living between two realities and even in our most intimate moments, she's concealing her love for me.

Quote:
To be or not
You can't just ignore the real questions
Both is not an answer
Both’s gon leave you backed up into a corner
Constantly questioned, double the lessons
Both gone drain you, leave you with two expressions

I wrote this song because obviously, she and I will never be together but I try to express that it's important that she figures herself out. You can't have me and him or the next woman because you'll just be wasting your time and all of ours. Dabbling in polygamy without honesty and boundaries will leave you hurt ultimately when you realize you can never have the two people you love so much in that way. It will drive both of those people away and you will end up alone.

Quote:
Both can't even make you cum, that's all me

Period.

Quote:
Both won't even question your dichotomy

A lot of these niggas don't know they girl really want Rum, teehee. They don't be paying attention, they think they just got the game on lock. It's a lot of men sitting next to gay women and to me, it's just like.. how you don't know your own girl a lil' fruity? I bet you I'd know it if my man was a lil' fruity. You know why? I'm attentive!

Quote:
Both might not even make you happy but I hope to
Claiming I'm the one but you need two, don't lie
Both can't give you kids or the married life
Girl, both don't even wanna try
But I could buy you houses way out in Dubai
We could rise before the sunrise
Way after it sets
Watching night and day blend
Knowing no matter how beautiful
One side’s gotta win

I'm not a man so I can't give the girls the "perfect" family with kids and all that. I'm not interested in adoption either. So I understand why a woman would choose to go the easier route and just find a man to live happily ever after with. However, girl I'm fun, I'm pretty and I'm rich, there's a lot that I can offer to another woman and I did show that particular woman that I could. At the end of the day, no matter how much fun we can have together, one side has to come out on top and I got the short end of the stick when it was all said and done.

Quote:
(You want your cake)
(You want me and you want your cake)
(You need me but you want your cake)
(I make myself available)
(But I can’t stay)
(You want your cake)
(You need me but you want your cake)
(I make myself too available)

We all deserve real love! No matter how horny we get, repeat after me girls: I WILL NOT BE SOMEBODY'S SECOND CHOICE. I'M THE TOP PICK. IM A FIVE STAR BITCH!

Quote:
He make me feel like I’m Donna
I Love To Love that nigga cus he speed my heart up

The second half of the song is like a brand new song. Here, we explore my duality. I was in love with a woman in the first half but now, the shoe is on the other foot. I wrote these lyrics about Tyron. I love that man, I do. In these lyrics, I'm referencing the song "I Love To Love You" because that song is so sexy. I say he makes me feel like Donna Summers because to me, she's like the epitome of feminity, and embracing my feminity is something that I'm really not used to. Being with a man like that though, he makes me feel more feminine than I ever have.

Quote:
Ain’t see it coming, happened in a way not thought of
Now I’m running ‘cus I love making it harder
He the one that fuck me righter
Ever since we pulled each other out the dark, the day’s been brighter

Tyron and I have a strange history, we used to hate each other but now, we really can't live without each other. I'm glad that we took the wild turn that we did because we're perfect for each other in every way. I mean it.

Quote:
Hold me down by the hips cus I’m a fighter
I push away and he push deep, toes lighter
He’s MacGyver, he can make anything happen
Awww, he could prolly make me happy

In the first half of the song, I brought up what it's like being with a woman and so as apart of my duality, I wanted to bring up what it's like to be with a man. Being with Tyron is a real thrill. We was fucking the shit out of each other, I'll tell you that. Always testing each other's limits.

Quote:
Now a bad bitch really need a fix
When I come through you better not make it quick
I want the demos, album cuts, and the hits
Whatever you got for sale, I want a pick
If it was up to you, you wouldn’t be here
Leave it up to me, I’ll make life fair
Block out all the noise and make it real clear:
You’re what I want

Despite my duality, I honestly feel like I'm 100% sold on this nigga. I don't need anything else. I could totally see us having a threesome and turning somebody's daughter out together but I couldn't see myself going behind his back to be with another woman or anyone in that matter. People think that being bisexual means you can't be loyal because you're always going to want a girl and a boy. That's not true, I can be attracted to both sexes and still be sure about who I want.

Quote:
Who’d a thunk this could be our reality, reality
Switching back and forth through my duality
I think I fully, love the way you free me of all gravity

Tyron is the first boyfriend I've ever had in my life. I've had sex with men before, of course, but to actually commit to a man and really be with him in an established relationship is a big deal for me and the people around me. Nobody saw that coming, not even me.

Quote:
Got everybody thinking it’s insanity, that’s just they vanity

A looot of people do not want Tyron and I together because of our history. But you know what? FUCK 'EM! They ain't making me happy, why do they think I gotta make them happy?

Quote:
My turn to be happy, have me totally
Brutally, immorally, abnormally
You see through me like low opacity
May not know love but you still got the capacity

I want that man in every way and I want to give myself to him in every way. I just don't care about the extenuating circumstances anymore, he's mine and I'm his. That's just how I feel and it took a lot of hell and high water for me to come to that conclusion.

Quote:
I give you all of me...all of me... the real me…all of me

After spending this whole album complaining about the real me and not allowing anyone to have the chance to know the real me, here I am on the last line of the album giving away myself completely. Finally, the real me has found a real home. Somewhere where I don't have to hide my face or conceal my past. Yes, I'm simping! He just gets me.

UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

TRY FORGIVENESS THE ALBUM & SINGLE IS NOW AVAILABLE ON ALL PLATFORMS!

https://www.therockstarg...-IN-FULL.aspx#post445569

https://www.therockstarg...nd-Tyron.aspx#post476925
thanks 4 users thanked kandii for this useful post.
2001clay on 04/03/2021(UTC), erich hess on 04/03/2021(UTC), RoseJapanFan on 05/03/2021(UTC), BrownSugar on 05/03/2021(UTC)
Offline erich hess  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2021 00:01:41(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17915 time(s) in 10409 post(s)
Mariko: ok.while this was super rad, I feel personally attacked in some parts.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
Offline kandii  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2021 06:23:53(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Mariko: ok.while this was super rad, I feel personally attacked in some parts.

Rum: Well, I did have one song that kinda went in on you but I decided not to release that because it's water under the bridge. It's ok to feel a lil hit, it could've been worse but i care about you MWAH!
Offline erich hess  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2021 07:27:46(UTC)
erich hess

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17915 time(s) in 10409 post(s)
Mariko: i was being silly. You should totally do that song. We could make it weird,and I could appear on it. According to some weird internet sites, people think you had me killed since I supposedly look totally different now
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
"I'm not saying its even a good thing to own a chimpanzee. But that's freedom, folks." Alex Jones.
thanks 1 user thanked erich hess for this useful post.
kandii on 05/03/2021(UTC)
Offline kandii  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2021 09:35:03(UTC)
kandii

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: erich hess Go to Quoted Post
Mariko: i was being silly. You should totally do that song. We could make it weird,and I could appear on it. According to some weird internet sites, people think you had me killed since I supposedly look totally different now

Rum: No, it was redundant. But wh- where do they think i got a clone from? imagine killing you and then training someone to take your place, I got problems but not THAT deep oml LOL
thanks 1 user thanked kandii for this useful post.
erich hess on 05/03/2021(UTC)