logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2009 04:38:46(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Opinions on Banksy's art and graffiti as general? I think most of Banksy's stuff is beautiful, a lot better and with a lot better meaning than most 'modern art'. What just makes him all the more brilliant is that no one knows who he is, its great! In my opinion he's one of the greatist artists of our time, if not the greatest. Obviously, he's not on the same level as people like Da Vinci, but still, a brilliant artist.
Also, on the subject of Graffiti, I think it should be legal in some area's and there should be assigned Graffiti Areas. Because the more you outlaw it, the more people are going to want to do it anyway. Obviously there are exceptions, for instance when someone writes 'G0 W@NK YA M0M' on an old peoples home, then possibly it should be illegal. But as long as it doenst have any racist/discriminate/rude messages or word's, it should be fine.
Offline xNightsidex  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2009 04:41:52(UTC)
xNightsidex

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I did one of my GCSE Art modules using Banksy as a reference. Particular the "This is not a photo opportunity" series of work. I adore the man, even though I'm not particularly into the graffiti area of art myself.
Offline Raphaela  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2009 04:43:46(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I LOVE Banksy's art. I totally do.
And graffiti, should be legalized. Not those stupid kids writting Im Da BeSt on walls, the art.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2009 04:45:03(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
xNightsidex wrote:
I did one of my GCSE Art modules using Banksy as a reference. Particular the "This is not a photo opportunity" series of work. I adore the man, even though I'm not particularly into the graffiti area of art myself.

I can't actually do graffiti, however I do like looking at it. Unless it's stupid, obviously. That's one thing that I cannot stand - when people right abusive things with no skill at all, just too look cool. It give's graffiti a bad reputation and means sticks Banksy in a bad light.
Offline xNightsidex  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2009 04:48:49(UTC)
xNightsidex

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Aj wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:

I can't actually do graffiti, however I do like looking at it. Unless it's stupid, obviously. That's one thing that I cannot stand - when people right abusive things with no skill at all, just too look cool. It give's graffiti a bad reputation and means sticks Banksy in a bad light.

Ahah it's never something I've given a thought to, that actually. See, the term "Graffiti" and the term "Graffiti art" mean two entirely different things to me, or at least they did when I was still at school with my art class. So it's not really a blurred margin. But I do give you that it's a grossly underrated area of expressionism.

Culturally speaking though, Banksy was always cast in a bad light by those who opposed the ideals he portrayed in his work. A good example would be the defacing of the Israeli wall; designed to keep the citizens inside the area. They expected Banksy would work upon the wall and so guarded it, but still he managed to graffiti the wall with images depicting the citizens' wishes to escape and how ridiculous the idea was.

For the most part thankfully however, Banksy gains immense respect in the art world.