logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline forkboy  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:50:29(UTC)
forkboy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
The war on drugs was a term first used by that fantastic US president 'Tricky Dicky' Richard Nixon 40 year years ago. Since then America and her allies have been prosecuting this "war" with a vigor that verges on extremism.

So do you agree with the ideas of the war on drugs? Do you feel it is a waste of time and money?

In 1994, there were 1 million arrests for drug related offences in America. Nearly a quarter of these were for possession of marijuana. Is this too extreme?

If not, why not?
Offline Paradox  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:54:23(UTC)
Paradox

Man

Well im gonna sound like a junkie but the best move anyone could do it is to legallize drugs then the drug dealers will disappear, and if someone wants to walk down that abyss is by their own risk
RP bands:
Insolent Paradox - Progressive [Forum Thread] - Post-production
Oceans - Fusion Jazz - Writing

stephaniewazhere wrote:
I'm failing? I'm failing??????? LMAO!!!!!!

Mod Edit - you failed...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Offline Captain Insano  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:55:50(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
The war on drugs is completely futile, a shocking waste of time and resources that could be better put to use elsewhere or on a new strategy to minimize the impact of illegal drugs.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline Gildermershina  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:05:25(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Drug agriculture, manufacture, trafficking and dealing are such widespread problems that the only way to move forward is to eliminate the black market by legalising and heavily taxing drugs, and we all know how much America hates government owned public services, so that would simply turn into huge drug corporations making a fortune from addictive dangerous substances. So at least we don't live in a world like that, cough tobaccoandalcohol cough.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline asdf  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:12:54(UTC)
asdf

Man

Was thanked: 539 time(s) in 290 post(s)
Alcohaul - Causes drowsyness makes you not realize what you are doing, makes you goofy and cant see straigt and possibly dangerous not to mention the MASSIVE headache in the morning - LEGAL

Weed- Makes you happy, out of it, and hungary - ILLEGAL

What the heck is up with that nonsense?
Proud member since September 6th, 2007!

Proud to be a mod since May 5th, 2011!

Currently writing the longest Solo-Written RP in Rockstar Game History
Offline old.gregg  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:16:06(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Alcohol - has long term effects on the body and mental state if used in excess

Weed - has long term effects on the body and mental state if used in excess.

My point being - weed is not just some harmless thing you smoke to have a good time, it's bad for you just as much as alcohol and tobacco is. The point here is, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, why isn't weed?
-
Offline asdf  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:17:30(UTC)
asdf

Man

That was what I was trying to say, just worded better. Lol

Offline Captain Insano  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:19:27(UTC)
Captain Insano

asdf wrote:
Alcohaul - Causes drowsyness makes you not realize what you are doing, makes you goofy and cant see straigt and possibly dangerous not to mention the MASSIVE headache in the morning - LEGAL

Weed- Makes you happy, out of it, and hungary - ILLEGAL

What the heck is up with that nonsense?

Yeah, of course, weed is harmeless........Short-term effects of marijuana include problems with memory and learning, distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch), trouble with thinking and problem solving, loss of motor coordination, increased heart rate, and anxiety. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same cancer-causing compounds as tobacco, sometimes in higher concentrations. Of course, it is a rather silly situation.

I obviously see why billions are chucked at fighting the problem but they chuck so much money at it for so little result and people still use drugs and sell it. Drugs are big business and a few narcotic federal agents aren't going to stop someone importing several hundred million dollars in cocaine, heroin etc.
UserPostedImage

Offline Raphaela  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:19:42(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I think drugs should be legalized, it's your body, do whatever you want with it.
Of course, we'd need a massive government campaign to warn everyone that drugs can really fuck you up, so it's an utopic action.
Although weed can be possible, like in Netherlands.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Gildermershina  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:21:50(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

old.gregg wrote:

My point being - weed is not just some harmless thing you smoke to have a good time, it's bad for you just as much as alcohol and tobacco is. The point here is, if alcohol and tobacco are legal, why isn't weed?

Chances are it would have been, if not for various quirks of history. Tobacco is only still legal because it has been legal for long enough to be an enormous worldwide industry that simply cannot be contained. It's a runaway train. Alcohol, that's all a matter of tradition more than anything else. The Egyptians served their slaves very strong beer so that they would enjoy themselves for a little bit then fall asleep rather than incite a riot. Same thing now, working folks drown their sorrows on the weekends rather than actively look for ways to improve their lives.
Offline old.gregg  
#11 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:21:56(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Raphaela wrote:
I think drugs should be legalized, it's your body, do whatever you want with it.
Of course, we'd need a massive government campaign to warn everyone that drugs can really fuck you up, so it's an utopic action.
Although weed can be possible, like in Netherlands.

Depends what we're talking about here - it's your body, yes, but should you be putting pressure on your health service to fix something which you essentially broke yourself?

Drugs tend not to just be a one time thing either - they're addictive, and many people get in way over their heads without even realising it.
-
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#12 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:23:52(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:

It is more addictive and it dominates someone's life more than alcohol and tobacco does.
Offline asdf  
#13 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:25:28(UTC)
asdf

Man

How does alcohaul not dominate your life more than weed? You want to know how many people did because if drunk drivers, you never head someone crashed cause he smoked weed.

Offline sav  
#14 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:26:28(UTC)
sav

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:

because weed market is far more successful than alcohol and tobbaco. i smoke, drink and smoke weed responsibly and think they all are ways of amusement or relaxation that can turn into an addiction (physically for alcohol and tobbaco and mentaly for weed, because maybe you don't *need* weed, but you're always thinking about it).
i will agree on the same everyone said: legalising (all around the world, because in countries like spain almost everyone smokes weed and in argentina is not really that way, but a lot of people smoke it, too) would end with the black market and be the start of a progress in that way. thought i don't know how it would be with other drugs. cocaine is pretty much addictive than other legal and illegal drugs are, and so are heroin and other stuff. so, they should legalise all drugs? because, even without weed, the black market would be still existing.
Offline old.gregg  
#15 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:26:57(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

It is more addictive and it dominates someone's life more than alcohol and tobacco does.

A statement that I'd claim as incorrect. You can become dependant on alcohol, which totally dominates an alcoholic's life. Don't get me wrong here, I'm against legalisation, but I'm just pointing out that it is as harmful as the other substances people put into their bodies on a regular basis.
-
Offline Raphaela  
#16 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:27:45(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:
Depends what we're talking about here - it's your body, yes, but should you be putting pressure on your health service to fix something which you essentially broke yourself?

The people that wanted to have a drug business would have to pay a tax to the government and they'd use it to treat drug addcits.
That on a perfect world, it'd never happen.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Gildermershina  
#17 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:28:02(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

stephaniewazhere wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

There is much more nicotine in tobacco than cannabis, and that's the addictive part. Cigarettes are far more addictive, while cannabis and alcohol are more habitual than physically addictive.
Offline Captain Insano  
#18 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:28:23(UTC)
Captain Insano

asdf wrote:
How does alcohaul not dominate your life more than weed? You want to know how many people did because if drunk drivers, you never head someone crashed cause he smoked weed.

There are plenty of people who have been involved in crashes because they are under the influence of drugs. Its just as bad getting behind the wheel of someone who is stoned (i was the passenger in a car driven by someone who was stoned and it was scary shit...this was along time ago as a teen) as opposed to a drunk person.
UserPostedImage

User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#19 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:29:55(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

A statement that I'd claim as incorrect. You can become dependant on alcohol, which totally dominates an alcoholic's life. Don't get me wrong here, I'm against legalisation, but I'm just pointing out that it is as harmful as the other substances people put into their bodies on a regular basis.

Weed is more dominant because it is easily growable ( i know that's not a word but you know what I mean) Imagine if it was legal, how much access people would have.
Now selling it in stores may be different but people already have a much more negative reception on weed so that can't happen.
Offline forkboy  
#20 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:30:59(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Yeah, figured I'd wait for other people to chirp in before I replied to my own post.

OK, well, I'll just come out from the off and to be perfectly clear, I'm pro-legalisation. But legalisation with restrictions.

OK, the drug trade is bad. It is full of horrible people who exploit others, kill many, many poor people, and so on. But that's why legalisation is the only realistic option. 40 years on from the declaration of war, drug use is up considerabley in the UK & the US, and presumably other western countries too. The war has failed miserably. People are still making obscene sums of cash from the suffering of others, and people are still using and ending up addicted to drugs.

If you legalise the actual drugs, you can then focus the money and the law enforcement agencies on tackling the black market people. Meanwhile, drugs would be taxed heavily to raise money for things like treatment to help addicts get off their habit, or to deal with medical issues, etc. They would be age-restricted (18+, 21+, whatever), and only sold in specially licensed shops, for use in the home only. Obviously people would still smuggle pills into clubs and so on, but the idea is to at least reduce the numbers using in public places, certainly for the very hard drugs.

It's none of my business if you choose to snort some cocaine. Entirely your perogative. I don't want to try any myself, but it's not hurting me so fuck it, fire away.

The other major bonus would be that it would help drag many people in the third world out of poverty. Give special licenses to farmers to grow opium poppies in Afgahnistan, to coca farmers in Bolivia, etc etc, you get the idea.

Of course, depsite the fact that it would reduce numbers in prison for offences which are ultimately minor and hurt nobody but themselves, would increase tax revenues and possibly mean a reduction in other forms of tax, would improve living conditions for many others, and would help put real scummy individuals out of business, real drug law liberalistion is not likely any time in the near future.