logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rincewind  
#21 Posted : 17 August 2009 11:11:22(UTC)
Rincewind

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
sigh... donating blood.. In a way.. Yes the rules are very very restrictive... But in another way they are there to prevent harm.
As someone with a sister with a serious Heart defect, i hope i can see both sides... While i want other people (ie not just me) to be donating blood to make sure her four life saving operations to date can actually happen, i do not on any terms want her to catch any kind of disease transimted through the blood.

personally i would have thought the two different tubes of test blood they take in the UK would be enough to help screen for any viral diseases that could possibly be transmited...

but then again we do still live in a thatcherite Britain... And as someone who is not Homosexual i do not know about the possible rules that restrict you from donating.. I would simply hope they would be no different to anyone else in a liberal society
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline old.gregg  
#22 Posted : 17 August 2009 11:19:52(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
The fact is, if you need donated blood, you're going to be weakened. Risking giving someone blood that is infected with anything (not necessarily an STI - there are MANY other things that could be passed) can be fatal. While I believe that discrimination of any kind is wrong, the rules are there for a reason. However, as I said, infections can be spread from male to male, female to female or male to female (vice versa) - there is no need to single out homosexuals, but unfortunately, it's going to happen.
-
Offline Rincewind  
#23 Posted : 17 August 2009 11:33:30(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

i don;t want to sound rude... but if you want to talk about who has had anal sex with who... do so in another topic and not one about donating organs... especially when it effects certain people in a very important way.
and im just like:
Offline old.gregg  
#24 Posted : 17 August 2009 11:35:48(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Rincewind wrote:
i don;t want to sound rude... but if you want to talk about who has had anal sex with who... do so in another topic and not one about donating organs... especially when it effects certain people in a very important way.

Point taken mate. Feel free to post a little more about your sister, if you feel comfortable doing so.

Surgeon is a career I have been considering for the past few years, and I'm looking forward to studying for it after college.
-
Offline xNightsidex  
#25 Posted : 17 August 2009 11:36:55(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Obliged, Rince. To the "well..." thread!
Offline sharinganerror  
#26 Posted : 18 August 2009 01:23:55(UTC)
sharinganerror

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:
Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Accept it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

What the fuck? you dipshit, I have accepted it. This is why I don't have any respect for you, you fail to see the obvious.
Offline sharinganerror  
#27 Posted : 18 August 2009 01:25:42(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Aj wrote:
old.gregg wrote:
Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Accept it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

:P

Sharinganerror, why not people you don't know? Is it because you hate humanity, cos I kinda get the feeling... :P

It has nothing to do with humanity, if it were, I wouldn't donate.
Offline Lepelbos  
#28 Posted : 18 August 2009 11:50:13(UTC)
Lepelbos

I dont trust this whole organ industry. First there is an illegal market mainly in Asia, where maffioso kill people just for their organs and sell it to ritch people in the west. Second, here in the west if they know you are a donor and you are sick yourself they let you die just to give your organs to a person who is on the list. In hospitals they set familymembers under pressure to sign a paper. Third, and this pisses me off, here in Holland there are people who say make it a law that everyone is a donor exept when you sign a paper that you dont want to. I am not relegious, but for me its a principle. I am against such a law. When you are sick and never get better anymore exept it and die.
B O S L E P E L R E C O R D S
NEW ALBUMS

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline xNightsidex  
#29 Posted : 18 August 2009 12:27:17(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
sharinganerror wrote:
old.gregg wrote:

What the fuck? you dipshit, I have accepted it. This is why I don't have any respect for you, you fail to see the obvious.

Time out kiddo, chill yo' beans.
Offline Rincewind  
#30 Posted : 18 August 2009 17:09:40(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Lepelbos wrote:
I dont trust this whole organ industry. First there is an illegal market mainly in Asia, where maffioso kill people just for their organs and sell it to ritch people in the west. Second, here in the west if they know you are a donor and you are sick yourself they let you die just to give your organs to a person who is on the list. In hospitals they set familymembers under pressure to sign a paper. Third, and this pisses me off, here in Holland there are people who say make it a law that everyone is a donor exept when you sign a paper that you dont want to. I am not relegious, but for me its a principle. I am against such a law. When you are sick and never get better anymore exept it and die.

one of the most retarded posts i have ever read...

so what you are saying simply is that when people die.... we shouldn't use their Organs... which they don't need anymore to help save other peoples lives?
Don't you see that your two issues are inter-conected? If we collected usable Organs from dead peoples..
A - there would be no donar shortage in the west thus killing the illegal black market.
B- Take away the preasure and need to get people to sign the donation paper, thus removing a hard thing for botht he doctor and the family after a loved one has died.

Also as i prevoisly said, i have a sister witha serious heart condition... tricuspid atresia.. She also only has one working lung due to a partially paralysed Diaphragm. Now in your honest opinion according to what you just said... She should just accept this and die when the time comes that she needs a heart transplant, rather than a dead persons organs that will just rot away otherwise helping to keep her alive for another 10-15 years?
personally i am all for a law that works on a principle of donate unless you state otherwise... it would save so many lives.
and im just like:
Offline old.gregg  
#31 Posted : 18 August 2009 18:47:24(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

So, I've been looking a bit further into blood donation and found out that they do actually screen all blood they take for HIV and hep B + C, and the reason they have quite tough rules on donation is because these screenings aren't always going to be right. It's an extra insurance policy - if you pass on infected blood to someone who's really ill, you've got a serious problem on your hands. That said, I still don't agree with the men who have had sex with other men policy, which comes into effect even if it was safe sex with a condom, but it's all worked out by figures and something we've just got to accept.

It's all here:
https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

As far as being 'rushed along' goes - if I'm in a state where I'm honestly going to die then they can go ahead and switch off the life support early, if it gives someone else a chance at life. I honestly have every faith in the healthcare system to think that this won't happen, though. There are a few problem areas worth noting. When are you technically dead? When your heart and lungs can't function themselves? And where do you draw the line as braindead? Nothing's conclusive.

Also - sharinganerror, you lovely lad Shhh
-
Offline Lepelbos  
#32 Posted : 18 August 2009 23:12:09(UTC)
Lepelbos

Rincewind wrote:
Lepelbos wrote:

one of the most retarded posts i have ever read...

so what you are saying simply is that when people die.... we shouldn't use their Organs... which they don't need anymore to help save other peoples lives?
Don't you see that your two issues are inter-conected? If we collected usable Organs from dead peoples..
A - there would be no donar shortage in the west thus killing the illegal black market.
B- Take away the preasure and need to get people to sign the donation paper, thus removing a hard thing for botht he doctor and the family after a loved one has died.

Also as i prevoisly said, i have a sister witha serious heart condition... tricuspid atresia.. She also only has one working lung due to a partially paralysed Diaphragm. Now in your honest opinion according to what you just said... She should just accept this and die when the time comes that she needs a heart transplant, rather than a dead persons organs that will just rot away otherwise helping to keep her alive for another 10-15 years?
personally i am all for a law that works on a principle of donate unless you state otherwise... it would save so many lives.

I want to apologize for my last phrase. I know this is offending. I am sorry. But i stay with my oppinion that it can only happen voluntairily. I know there is a law in Belgium that says that everyone is a donor exept when you sign a paper that you dont want to. I am very against this. Thats against every moral. That just means that every human being is a breedingmachine for someone else. I say it a little hard, but think about it and be honest. Will the meaning of life be nothing more than to live for someone else? Will it then happen that when im dead my lungs or my heart will go to someone i would hate when i knew him when i was still alive? I know when you are dead you are dead, and i sayd it im not religious, but i want to be buryd or cremated with all my organs. Thats my right.
So.... im for signing a paper with yes i want to be a donor, and not for signing a paper with i don't want to be a donor.

Edited by user 18 August 2009 23:14:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NEW ALBUMS

Offline Aj  
#33 Posted : 18 August 2009 23:29:14(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Well, in my opionion that would be a great society, if we kept on recycling each other, rather than wasting peoples chance at living by throwing away pieces of body that you wont even need.
Offline Lepelbos  
#34 Posted : 18 August 2009 23:53:19(UTC)
Lepelbos

That means that there will be no limit? Everyone can be recicled? Even mass murders with a heart conditions, pedophiles who need a liver? People who already had a new lung who murdered his sister? A bully? Everyone?
NEW ALBUMS

Offline forkboy  
#35 Posted : 18 August 2009 23:54:49(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Lepelbos wrote:
I want to apologize for my last phrase. I know this is offending. I am sorry. But i stay with my oppinion that it can only happen voluntairily. I know there is a law in Belgium that says that everyone is a donor exept when you sign a paper that you dont want to. I am very against this. Thats against every moral. That just means that every human being is a breedingmachine for someone else. I say it a little hard, but think about it and be honest. Will the meaning of life be nothing more than to live for someone else? Will it then happen that when im dead my lungs or my heart will go to someone i would hate when i knew him when i was still alive? I know when you are dead you are dead, and i sayd it im not religious, but i want to be buryd or cremated with all my organs. Thats my right.
So.... im for signing a paper with yes i want to be a donor, and not for signing a paper with i don't want to be a donor.

No it doesn't. If you are against your organs being used then sign a fucking piece of paper saying so. That's not against morals at all. Refusing to save anothers life because there's a one in a million chance that you'll help someone you disliked is SERIOUSLY petty. I don't dislike anyone so much that I'd refuse to give my organs to others because of a minute chance.

Doctors are morally (& legally) obliged to do what they can to keep you alive. Hippocratic oath and all that. They aren't just going to let you die unless you have a DNR order because there would be serious ethical questions over their heads and a chance of their medical license being revoked. Lets not be silly here.

Yes, doctors badgering families for the organs of their recently dead loved ones is very unfortunate. But come on. There's a reason. A very good one. There are not enough organs for everyone who needs them, and so they really need as many as they can get to help save lives. That's what doctors do.
Offline Rincewind  
#36 Posted : 19 August 2009 00:15:15(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

if i am being honest?
then my answer is still, when i die i want all of my organs, my eyes everything that can be used... to be used. If from my death i can help several other people to live their lives for even just one year more then i have done a very very good thing. Just because someone has killed, does not in my eyes revoke their right to life. If you have an opt out system, you still have the right to say i want to be buried with all my organs intact thank you very much, its not taking that away from you. its just helping Doctors to save lives...

Also no, you can't appologise for your last phrase... Its somthing you obviously agree with and just because somoene on this board has a close family member with a fatal heart disease should not make you back down from that position... You think it, its your right.... I have however knocked out a fundermental christian for saying my sister should have been killed at birth because of her disability..
and im just like:
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#37 Posted : 19 August 2009 00:17:43(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
I'm for it, I donated blood and it felt good after I did it. I felt like a hero.
Offline Lepelbos  
#38 Posted : 19 August 2009 00:27:58(UTC)
Lepelbos

forkboy wrote:
Lepelbos wrote:

No it doesn't. If you are against your organs being used then sign a fucking piece of paper saying so. That's not against morals at all. Refusing to save anothers life because there's a one in a million chance that you'll help someone you disliked is SERIOUSLY petty. I don't dislike anyone so much that I'd refuse to give my organs to others because of a minute chance.

Doctors are morally (& legally) obliged to do what they can to keep you alive. Hippocratic oath and all that. They aren't just going to let you die unless you have a DNR order because there would be serious ethical questions over their heads and a chance of their medical license being revoked. Lets not be silly here.

Yes, doctors badgering families for the organs of their recently dead loved ones is very unfortunate. But come on. There's a reason. A very good one. There are not enough organs for everyone who needs them, and so they really need as many as they can get to help save lives. That's what doctors do.

Just one question and hypothetical. Would you give your heart to a man who murdered your whole family after he raped your mother at the age of 17, got 40 years in prison, suddenly became a good person. He got your heart and 5 years later he rapes someone again. I know you will never know who will get your organs, and thats just the frightenend part.
The point i want to make is that its a matter of principle. Voluntairily yes, but no obligation. When you do it voluntairily you choose for this risk. When you are born as a baby and automaticly are a donor, thats the way i see it when you have to sign a paper that you dont want to be a donor, you are in hands of the state. Than life has no meaning at all anymore. They can do with you what they want.
Rich people come first
You have to pay for it big
There will come all kinds of lists
People who signed a paper that they dont want to be a donor will become outcast
etc etc

1984 Here We Come
NEW ALBUMS

Offline old.gregg  
#39 Posted : 19 August 2009 00:44:59(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

As forkboy said, I don't hate anyone enough to say that nobody can have my organs. 99.9% of people who need them are genuine people, it'd be awful to deny that 99% because of the 0.1% that isn't.

On top of that - they're alive, and from then on it is their choice what they do and no responsibility of mine.
-
Offline Rincewind  
#40 Posted : 19 August 2009 00:54:41(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Lepelbos wrote:
forkboy wrote:
Lepelbos wrote:

Just one question and hypothetical. Would you give your heart to a man who murdered your whole family after he raped your mother at the age of 17, got 40 years in prison, suddenly became a good person. He got your heart and 5 years later he rapes someone again. I know you will never know who will get your organs, and thats just the frightenend part.
The point i want to make is that its a matter of principle. Voluntairily yes, but no obligation. When you do it voluntairily you choose for this risk. When you are born as a baby and automaticly are a donor, thats the way i see it when you have to sign a paper that you dont want to be a donor, you are in hands of the state. Than life has no meaning at all anymore. They can do with you what they want.
Rich people come first
You have to pay for it big
There will come all kinds of lists
People who signed a paper that they dont want to be a donor will become outcast
etc etc

1984 Here We Come

Yes i would still donate My organs, because while my heart may go to someone you think is underserving, my liver may save a childs life, my eyes might help somone see again etc etc

i also think you are being veyr over the top and reactionary over a bit of legislation that would save peoples lives... AND in a socialist society like most european states witha welfare system, no the rich wouldn't come first.
and im just like: