logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Aj  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2009 18:59:23(UTC)
Aj

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
What are your opinion's on Donars? Like giving hearts and stuff when you die?
In my opinion it should be a neccesary thing unless you specifically say so. Because your not going to need them are you? And your just going to be chucked in a fire anyway so it doesn't matter if people have been cutting you up does it?
But still a lot of religeons and such have problems with it, so what are your opinions?
Offline old.gregg  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2009 19:17:32(UTC)
old.gregg

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've got a donor card - as you say, what is the point in wasting organs that could be so vital to someone else? I'm all for it.

The dilemma, I guess, is - if you're going to die for certain but somebody else needs your organs and are gonna die sooner, would you be 'rushed along'? This has been an ethical problem for doctors for years, however, it is now unlikely that your organs will be used for someone in the same hospital, meaning there's little chance they're being treated by the same doctor, however it isn't always the case. Then there's the fact that the other person's body may not even accept the new organ. A heart transplant is very invasive. It therefore costs a lot of money to perform, and some would argue why spend this huge chunk of money on an opperation that may not work when you could spend it elsewhere, perhaps helping hundreds of people instead of just one?

Some religions don't accept another person's organs either (especially vital organs from a dead donor) and some believe that your body needs to be intact for the afterlife. You don't come across this problem so often in the UK, now, but it still exists.

The sale of organs is creepy too - if you're facing death, you're gonna pay by any means necessary. I still believe in a just system. Obviously, if you're better off you get treated quicker, which is another ethical headache.

In my opinion, however, being an organ donor is something that should be a choice. I'd encourage it for everyone but at the end of the day, it's your body. I would however say to discuss it with someone close to you and make sure they know your choice - that way if anything did happen they would not be making a blind decision at such a traumatic time.

-
Offline Rincewind  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2009 19:23:01(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
i thinkt he major problem is that right now it is an opt in system. Whereas i think we should have an Opt out system. Whereby if you do not want your organs to be donated you must carry a card, and if you don't have one then its fine for them to be whipped out and re-used...

it also brings me onto my personal bug bear.... Donating blood. So few people do it and yet it is so important to do so..
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
Offline Aj  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2009 19:27:20(UTC)
Aj

Man

Rincewind wrote:
i thinkt he major problem is that right now it is an opt in system. Whereas i think we should have an Opt out system. Whereby if you do not want your organs to be donated you must carry a card, and if you don't have one then its fine for them to be whipped out and re-used...

it also brings me onto my personal bug bear.... Donating blood. So few people do it and yet it is so important to do so..

Exactly what I meant, about the opt out system.

And I agree about the blood thing, but my whole family have given blood before and I plan to when I'm old enough. I come from quite a medical family though.
Offline Captain Insano  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2009 00:04:37(UTC)
Captain Insano

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
There was a thread here not long ago about one user who wanted to debate about organ donation, in regards to been allowed to sell your organs from a pure economic veiwpoint and from there it expanded very nicely. Excellent thread....anyway, my opinions on donating organs upon death? I am all for it, personally I dont see why you should worry about missing a kidney or heart etc once deceased. I wont be. Your dead and not going to need them and if someone else out there can be given the gift of life through one of your organs than that can only be a good thing surely. I understand that people of various religous persuasions take offence about accepting another's organs or giving them up for donation...that is their beliefs. Better education is probably needed across the board to make people aware of the crisis in organ donation and how they can help. Ultimately it should be a choice and not something that people are forced in to.
UserPostedImage
Psycopathologist- old school death grind

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just that your's is stupid.
Offline sharinganerror  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2009 13:59:21(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm only offering my opinion only due to captain insano sucking the fun out of this.
I'd only offer my organs to someone I choose, if their body rejects it, fuck. Anything else, nah, I'd like my organs to stay where they've always been, I'm getting cremated when I die, viking style.
Offline Captain Insano  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2009 15:48:46(UTC)
Captain Insano

Yeah...I killed the thread....
UserPostedImage

Offline old.gregg  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2009 19:45:54(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Accept it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

Edited by user 16 August 2009 22:32:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-
Offline Aj  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2009 21:01:34(UTC)
Aj

Man

old.gregg wrote:
Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Accept it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

:P

Sharinganerror, why not people you don't know? Is it because you hate humanity, cos I kinda get the feeling... :P
Offline Captain Insano  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2009 22:08:46(UTC)
Captain Insano

old.gregg wrote:
Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Except it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

Now I know where I went wrong...I wasn't flippant enough and was too detailed about morality in regards to organ donation. I promise I shall use brevity in future.

In fact, Elliot sucked the life out of this thread with his long and twisted, inane ramblings.

Edited by user 16 August 2009 22:10:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline old.gregg  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2009 22:32:23(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Captain Insano wrote:
old.gregg wrote:
Oh no. Insano made a long post, raising some serious points?! Except it, or stop posting here sharinganerror.

Now I know where I went wrong...I wasn't flippant enough and was too detailed about morality in regards to organ donation. I promise I shall use brevity in future.

In fact, Elliot sucked the life out of this thread with his long and twisted, inane ramblings.

Yeah. Debating in a debate forum. Seriously?!

Anyway... back on topic everyone.. including mods..
-
Offline xNightsidex  
#12 Posted : 17 August 2009 01:59:56(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Going back up the point about donating blood which Rince brought up, I personally believe the NHS have shot themselves in the foot with that one, especially in refernce to Gay lifestyle and donating. I'd happily donate blood, in fact, two opportunities have arisen in the past year where I could have, as my best friend donates, but I can't because having slept with another man, the NHS automatically frown upon me and I'm slapped with the assumably-STI-ridden stick. Beautiful society...

It's funny because among the guidelines for donating, it states clearly that if you're a male donor and have performed oral sex with another man, you can't donate blood for a set period of time (I think it's either 6-12 months? Heck, it might even be indefinite.) And as I said, if you've had anal sex with another man, you can't donate blood period.

I believe that's a farce, myself.
Offline forkboy  
#13 Posted : 17 August 2009 02:41:31(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
It's being very, very cautious. Too cautious. But at the end of the day, there's a reason why they are ultra-cautious, because you don't want to be handing over tainted blood.

Anyway, all my organs are available when I die if they are wanted, I have a donor card and am on the donors register. I have also advised my family that this is the case, just to prepare them in case the worst ever happens.

Edited by user 17 August 2009 02:42:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Aj  
#14 Posted : 17 August 2009 03:26:27(UTC)
Aj

Man

Couldnt they just do an STD test?
Offline old.gregg  
#15 Posted : 17 August 2009 04:30:08(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

Aj wrote:

If that's in reference to donating blood, with the amount they need, testing for all the common STI's on a large scale would just take too much time.
-
Offline Gildermershina  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2009 06:41:48(UTC)
Gildermershina

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I could go for a donor kebab right about now.

Groan.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Offline xNightsidex  
#17 Posted : 17 August 2009 06:50:17(UTC)
xNightsidex

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Aj wrote:

As Elliot said, they prefer not to waste their time with testing every donor who has engaged in any kind of homosexual activity, so they're either shooting themselves in the foot, or saving themselves trouble.
Offline Aj  
#18 Posted : 17 August 2009 07:53:45(UTC)
Aj

Man

xNightsidex wrote:
Aj wrote:

As Elliot said, they prefer not to waste their time with testing every donor who has engaged in any kind of homosexual activity, so they're either shooting themselves in the foot, or saving themselves trouble.

What the fuck? Hmpf. Idiots.
Offline forkboy  
#19 Posted : 17 August 2009 07:55:36(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
old.gregg wrote:
Aj wrote:

If that's in reference to donating blood, with the amount they need, testing for all the common STI's on a large scale would just take too much time.

Well yes, but Christ. It's not as if only gays get STIs is it? It's quite a risky policy, and certainly prejudiced in one way or another.
Offline old.gregg  
#20 Posted : 17 August 2009 09:16:20(UTC)
old.gregg

Man

forkboy wrote:
old.gregg wrote:
Aj wrote:

Well yes, but Christ. It's not as if only gays get STIs is it? It's quite a risky policy, and certainly prejudiced in one way or another.

No no, I was talking about testing every donor. The gay thing should not be a factor, as STI's are just as common in heterosexuals as they are in homosexuals.
-