logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<7891011>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gildermershina  
#161 Posted : 06 November 2009 23:46:12(UTC)
Gildermershina

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Difference is, what we, the atheists, believe is what we can touch, what we can test, dictated by logic and reason. What you believe is apparently based on a fleeting sensation that could just as easily be described scientifically, but you choose to assume that it means something you have read or have been brought up to believe. Had you not been told about God, you would not be looking for God, and you would not find God. The reason belief in God existed in the past is because people couldn't explain certain phenomena, and from what you're suggesting, that's the exact reason you believe in God too. What you choose to see as God, scientists will study and analyse and reduce to simple chemistry, and hey, that's just not as pleasant therefore God must be the real answer.

For you it's a matter of belief, but for us it's a matter of science, and no matter how you word it, those are not the same thing at all. Belief is nothing more than an unquestioned assumption, which is fine and all, but if you believe that then why do you also choose to accept all the goof things science brings you? The medicine, the technology, astronomy... Why choose to believe God wanted people to endure surgery without anaesthetic for centuries before finally revealing to someone through a divine vision, a safer way to operate, but only after a certain number of people had died in agony?
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#162 Posted : 06 November 2009 23:58:39(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
Gildermershina wrote:
Difference is, what we, the atheists, believe is what we can touch, what we can test, dictated by logic and reason. What you believe is apparently based on a fleeting sensation that could just as easily be described scientifically, but you choose to assume that it means something you have read or have been brought up to believe. Had you not been told about God, you would not be looking for God, and you would not find God. The reason belief in God existed in the past is because people couldn't explain certain phenomena, and from what you're suggesting, that's the exact reason you believe in God too. What you choose to see as God, scientists will study and analyse and reduce to simple chemistry, and hey, that's just not as pleasant therefore God must be the real answer.

For you it's a matter of belief, but for us it's a matter of science, and no matter how you word it, those are not the same thing at all. Belief is nothing more than an unquestioned assumption, which is fine and all, but if you believe that then why do you also choose to accept all the goof things science brings you? The medicine, the technology, astronomy... Why choose to believe God wanted people to endure surgery without anaesthetic for centuries before finally revealing to someone through a divine vision, a safer way to operate, but only after a certain number of people had died in agony?

I see what you mean but when it comes to what I am talking about you are incorrect. The feeling of the holy-spirit while someone is speaking to you and they have never met you and they know a single detail about you, must be something unexplainable, which according to the bible is the holy-spirit. It is not just a feeling it is a journey. You don't just feel something, you fly away. I know it sounds crazy but that is the best way I can explain it because the feeling is unexplainable. I had this experience when I was younger. No scientist will ever get to know what feeling we are talking about unless they feel the holy-spirit. No scientific book to my knowledge has explained the feeling correctly to me.

Edited by user 07 November 2009 00:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Raphaela  
#163 Posted : 07 November 2009 00:17:05(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:
I see what you mean but when it comes to what I am talking about you are incorrect. The feeling of the holy-spirit while someone is speaking to you and they have never met you and they know a single detail about you, must be something unexplainable, which according to the bible is the holy-spirit. It is not just a feeling it is a journey. You don't just feel something, you fly away. I know it sounds crazy but that is the best way I can explain it because the feeling is unexplainable. I had this experience when I was younger. No scientist will ever get to know what feeling we are talking about unless they feel the holy-spirit. No scientific book to my knowledge has explained the feeling correctly to me.

That can be easily explained by chemical reactions on our brain.
But I'm not wasting my time researching and posting here, since you won't believe it anyway.
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
#164 Posted : 07 November 2009 00:19:13(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Raphaela wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

That can be easily explained by chemical reactions on our brain.
But I'm not wasting my time researching and posting here, since you won't believe it anyway.

Exactly that's why you should keep re-reading what I had in bold.
Offline forkboy  
#165 Posted : 07 November 2009 00:36:29(UTC)
forkboy

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 82 post(s)
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Well we should keep Religion off-limits. Talking about it and debating is a whole different thing.

The original premise of the thread is a perfectly valid philosophical debating point. "Is the Abrahamic God as portrayed in the Bible/Koran/Torah a decent chap by modern standards of morality?"
#166 Posted : 07 November 2009 00:52:22(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

forkboy wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Well we should keep Religion off-limits. Talking about it and debating is a whole different thing.

The original premise of the thread is a perfectly valid philosophical debating point. "Is the Abrahamic God as portrayed in the Bible/Koran/Torah a decent chap by modern standards of morality?"

Well if you think so go ahead. I have not seen a real debate on this topic (Because this topic is not debatable), looking back on the posts. All i see is "I know what I believe it is true and that's it". And it is all you are going to see. No one is going to prove anyone wrong.
Offline Rincewind  
#167 Posted : 07 November 2009 01:10:59(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
the first few pages were debate, based on the bible... I took certain bits of it to prove that God is a homicidal maniac, and have yet to see much proof to counter this.
I hate it when people see me at the supermarket and they are like:
Hey, what are you doing here?
and im just like:
Oh you know, hunting elephants
#168 Posted : 07 November 2009 01:29:38(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Rincewind wrote:
the first few pages were debate, based on the bible... I took certain bits of it to prove that God is a homicidal maniac, and have yet to see much proof to counter this.

Well I believe a debate should have about an equal amount of people on each side. In this forum most people don't believe there is a God so it is unfair. To be more specific all the people on this forum except me and someone else believe there isn't a God.
Sorry but no debate here.
Offline forkboy  
#169 Posted : 07 November 2009 01:42:01(UTC)
forkboy

lol thats a new one
Offline sharinganerror  
#170 Posted : 07 November 2009 02:25:30(UTC)
sharinganerror

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Rincewind wrote:

He's homicidal, genocidal even, but labeling him a maniac... not really, he's God remember...
Offline sharinganerror  
#171 Posted : 07 November 2009 02:26:44(UTC)
sharinganerror

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Well I believe a debate should have about an equal amount of people on each side. In this forum most people don't believe there is a God so it is unfair. To be more specific all the people on this forum except me and someone else believe there isn't a God.

True, and just by sheer number fuels the argument to completely unneeded terms..
Offline sharinganerror  
#172 Posted : 07 November 2009 02:32:16(UTC)
sharinganerror

Gildermershina wrote:

Hey, to say it simply, you have your way, and I'll have mine. Religious dogma has always been a bother and people fail to realize it, that's why there are so many hypocrites and extremists. If we really followed the Bible, then things would be alot different and we wouldn't even be having this debate. The plain fact is that everyone sees different, does differently, acts differently, and thinks differently. Besides, even if in the end, you're right. What the hell have we lost? Most of us live in peace(the christians I know that is) and go on living completely normal, happy lives(by your standards). So why must we continue this debate, all you learned is that god is the way he's always been, people won't change something thats been going on for thousands of years just because you disprove it. Humanity is ignorant like that(and arrogant, and stupid....).
Offline Rincewind  
#173 Posted : 07 November 2009 02:53:19(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

untrue... A debate is a topic withtwo or more sides, with exponents of each viewpoint trading ideas and discussing their views, whilst also pointout the defects in the other sides views....
Numbers have noting to do with it.... Your inability to actually debate does.
and im just like:
#174 Posted : 07 November 2009 02:56:00(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Rincewind wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

untrue... A debate is a topic withtwo or more sides, with exponents of each viewpoint trading ideas and discussing their views, whilst also pointout the defects in the other sides views....

This cannot be a debatable topic and has not been. All we have been doing is pointing out what we believe in. At the end of the day no one is going to be right. So it is not a debate, its more of an argument. A debate is an argument but at the end of the day someone is right.

Edited by user 07 November 2009 02:57:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rincewind  
#175 Posted : 07 November 2009 03:02:41(UTC)
Rincewind

Man

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

This cannot be a debatable topic and has not been. All we have been doing is pointing out what we believe in. At the end of the day no one is going to be right. So it is not a debate, its more of an argument. A debate is an argument but at the end of the day someone is right.

and once again thats where you are wrong... Asking if god exists or not isn't a debate thats just an argument, there i agree...

however this topic was asking based on the bible, do you think that God deserves our worship? Or is he a homocidal killer?
that is something that can quite easily be argued, backing up your stance using quotes from the bible is also quite easy..

Now the fact that i really really don't believe in any God and especialy not the biblical one does not negate the fact that i can argue that based on the bible he is a mass killer who is intent on Genocide on well... a biblical scale.
and im just like:
Offline sharinganerror  
#176 Posted : 07 November 2009 03:16:04(UTC)
sharinganerror

Rincewind wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

and once again thats where you are wrong... Asking if god exists or not isn't a debate thats just an argument, there i agree...

however this topic was asking based on the bible, do you think that God deserves our worship? Or is he a homocidal killer?
that is something that can quite easily be argued, backing up your stance using quotes from the bible is also quite easy..

Now the fact that i really really don't believe in any God and especialy not the biblical one does not negate the fact that i can argue that based on the bible he is a mass killer who is intent on Genocide on well... a biblical scale.

If we really want to debate that specific point, then it obviously differs because of belief. I honestly say that whether or not he deserves to worshiped is not exactly something we really can debate. Our choice though, wquld probably not sit well with people who honestly describe him as you have. I honestly believe he deserves to be worshipped because he created us and has continued to deal with us, despite our worthlessness.

EDIT
Even in the Bible it says that he shortened our lifespan because the problem of Noah's time would continue to an even more massive scale after the flood. We would destroy ourselves if he didn't restrain certain parts of society. That meant that for a major point in time after the flood he chose to kill off thousands after thousands just because they were more evil than we are now.

Edited by user 07 November 2009 03:18:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TheCDs  
#177 Posted : 07 November 2009 05:30:02(UTC)
TheCDs

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Now onto Gay people. I am gay. If God loves everyone he does loves gay, but does it give me the right to “be” homosexual. I don’t know, I’m still confused about it. Rules are rules and if I have to follow them to be safe (go to heaven) then eventually I will have to give up that and leave it. Which is sad, I love being gay.

See that point right there is why it is just insane for me to actually consider the possibility that God is a decent guy. If you want to get into heaven you have to give up a part of your lifestyle that makes you happy. Not only is that insane to say "God loves me, but he hates gays, so he will eternally damn me if I don't become a licensed hetero," but more and more research is starting to find that homosexuality is probably a genetic/chromosomal trait and not a choice (it has been witnessed in animals). So God loves you, hates homosexuals and will eternally damn you to Hell, and then has you born gay. Where is the nice guy in all of that because I see a hypocritical bigot.
UserPostedImage
Axiom is
Mike Peck- Production/Guitars/Piano/Keyboards/Hammond Organ/Vocals
Tim Dunn- Production/Guitars/Bass/Drums/Saxophone/Vocals
Offline sharinganerror  
#178 Posted : 07 November 2009 06:18:08(UTC)
sharinganerror

TheCDs wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
Now onto Gay people. I am gay. If God loves everyone he does loves gay, but does it give me the right to “be” homosexual. I don’t know, I’m still confused about it. Rules are rules and if I have to follow them to be safe (go to heaven) then eventually I will have to give up that and leave it. Which is sad, I love being gay.

See that point right there is why it is just insane for me to actually consider the possibility that God is a decent guy. If you want to get into heaven you have to give up a part of your lifestyle that makes you happy. Not only is that insane to say "God loves me, but he hates gays, so he will eternally damn me if I don't become a licensed hetero," but more and more research is starting to find that homosexuality is probably a genetic/chromosomal trait and not a choice (it has been witnessed in animals). So God loves you, hates homosexuals and will eternally damn you to Hell, and then has you born gay. Where is the nice guy in all of that because I see a hypocritical bigot.

Bunch of bullcrap dude, ya'know the (real)gay penguins? one of em left the other for a female. God doesn't hate homosexuals, he hates homosexuality. It's against what he wanted for mankind, but mankind, being the real assholes of nature, defied him. Nobody's born gay, they just wake up one morning, believe they're gay, and convince themselves they were always like this. God isn't hypocritical, and for one why bother calling him a bigot? Human ideology doesn't apply to him. He's GOD. The most simple lesson in the Bible is that GOD IS GOD, that mean he's the God of everything,anything,nothing, and so forth. He makes the rules, but he never breaks them. You'd just like to believe that wouldn't you?
Offline Thorgrim  
#179 Posted : 07 November 2009 06:32:28(UTC)
Thorgrim

Man

Rincewind wrote:

But if you follow that line of thinking you consider the bible as a completely true historical document, which is more of a fundamentalist approach to Christianity and not at all part of mainstream Christianity.

sharinganerror wrote:

Nobody's born gay, they just wake up one morning, believe they're gay, and convince themselves they were always like this.

Seriously...? :')
Offline forkboy  
#180 Posted : 07 November 2009 06:53:16(UTC)
forkboy

sharinganerror is a buffoon who lives in fantasy land. But then he's also an ardent Christian fundy as shown by his intolerance even to other forms of Christianity.

Only he has the true understanding of the word of God, clearly.