logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Infinite Jester  
#1 Posted : 15 September 2009 08:53:13(UTC)
Infinite Jester

Groups: Registered
Man

Ratner's Star are excited to announce the forthcoming tour dates they are set to play in support of their third studio album Fear of Modern Life.

The "Everything's So Normal It's Crazy" tour shall take in North America, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand and will see the band playing with an expanded 18 person line-up, with additional instrumental augmentation provided by the contributors to their most recent album (except for Prisoners guitarist Favorite Son, who is being filled in for on this tour by Vid Phoenix, a close friend of the band from back home).

Additionally, the band are pleased to announce the first single release off of the new LP. The album track Living Under Gunfire will be the first cut from the album to be released in its own right, with likely B-side tracks for the single being The Death of the Afterparty and The Ever So Complicated Consequences of Confronting The Man in the Big Suit. More news on this will be released as details are confirmed by the group.

In the meantime, the tour dates for the U.K. leg of the tour are:

U.K.
-Bristol Academy, 18/09/2009
-Cardiff NEC, 19/09/2009
-Swansea Grand Theatre, 19/09/2009
-Portsmouth Pyramind Rooms, 21/09/2009
-Southampton University Students Union, 22/09/2009
-Brighton Ballroom, 23/09/2009
-London Camden Koko, 25/09/2009
-Leeds Carling Academy, 28/09/2009
-Manchester University Students Union, 29/09/2009
-Glasgow King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, 01/10/2009

Edited by user 16 September 2009 22:34:00(UTC)  | Reason: To draw attention to updated chart news.

"This ain't no party/This ain't no disco"-Talking Heads

"I still believe that peace and plenty and happiness can be worked out some way. I am a fool."- Jailbird, Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Offline Raphaela  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:02:25(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Well, I'm free after the 25th if you want me.
If not, I'll be at some concerts and kick Vid's butt haha.

-Favorite Son [Guitar/The Prisoners]
I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Infinite Jester  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:10:31(UTC)
Infinite Jester

Man

Raphaela wrote:
Well, I'm free after the 25th if you want me.
If not, I'll be at some concerts and kick Vid's butt haha.

Jonathan Foster Frantzen: "Excellent, that'll be brilliant...Vid can take the night off for that London gig on the 25th, you can pop in and play that date with us, and then we can get you back on stage again for a couple of gigs in October when we hit the States. We're all looking forward to getting you on stage and really whipping up a storm on these unsuspecting punters. It's gonna be epic..."

"I still believe that peace and plenty and happiness can be worked out some way. I am a fool."- Jailbird, Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Offline Raphaela  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2009 09:28:13(UTC)
Raphaela

Woman

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Done. See you at the concerts, Jon! You pay the beer.
Actually, vokda, there's nothing that makes a Russian guy happier than a shot of vodka.

I own:

Andrew Guinnard (Post-punk/acoustic)
Lucy Tankeray (Pop diva/weird)
Offline Infinite Jester  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2009 10:10:57(UTC)
Infinite Jester

Man

News from the official Charts Tracker group:

The new Ratner's Star single Living Under Gunfire has entered the U.K. singles charts at #16, the U.S. singles charts at #24, and the World wide singles charts at #30. Additionally, the single has not entered any other territory's chart any lower than #77 (in Europe), making it the most internationally successful single of the group's career to date.

Also, here are some intial press reactions to the new album Fear of Modern Life:

- "The new record from Ratner's Star is many things: maddening, disparate, oppressive and disturbing are four words that spring to mind. But, to other ears and with some open mindedness on my part, this collection collection can be an utterly compelling listen in some other respects... There are no really obvious big hit singles on it in the vein of 'Inherent Vice' or 'I've Lost My Balls Inside My Computer' on the last LP, but we were kind of expecting the band to step away from that highly commercial direction that they never seemed quite comfortable with. And, of course, if you subscribe to the theory that all really, truly great records are complete commercial non-events anyway, then this suggest they are getting much closer to that goal. However, if (like myself) you're into moer immediately gratifying music, then it's not going to be your cup of tea." : Paul Theo-Lucas, Q Magazine, *** out of 5

- "They've done it again, completely confounding is and befuddling two reviwers before me who have been assigned to review this disc...Those Ratner's Star buggers definitely know how to devide their audience and their critics. The new LP is very dark, difficult and hugely ambitious-and therefore not to everyone's tastes. However, for me, even after trying to be impartial, I just can't help but think it's the best thing they've done and may well be an Album of the Year contender already." : Nicky Blackmarket, NME Magazine, 9/10

- "Easy to admire, challenging to to dance and listen to, hard to love...Ratner's Star's new LP Fear of Modern Life cuts the mustard, but doesn't make this the best sandwich you ever had." : Sara Reed, The Face, *** out of 5

- "Afro-futurist funk married to geeky white angst and gloomy synthesized dance pop with the color muted results in dank, industrial feeling album of contemporary doom. File under, 'What the f&%$ is this?'...but then dig it out again to solve this Chinese puzzle box of an album." : Sick Nikki Janis, Blender, 7/10

- "And so now we get the 'difficult-third-album' from that most quintessentially arty and difficult six piece, Ratner's Star...and there are definite signs of improvement and progress. 'Afterlife', 'Living Under Gunfire' and 'Hold Those Thoughts' are all excellent and show that this is a band not afraid to push itself and the people it chooses to work with in new directions...It doesn't quite totally gel and cohere, so there is a faint feel of it being very much a transitional album to it, a marked change of gears and period of adjustment and growing pains...However, I have a hunch that this one might not be quite as big a seller as the previous two, but that in the long run, it will be seen as more important to their development in retrospect-and that what they are making the transition to could be very interesting indeed." - Michael Xeroaz, Rolling Stone magazine, **** out of 5

- "Expect to overhear cooler-than-thou teenagers and college students bragging about buying this record first in years to come....the perfect example of intelligent college alt. rock with experimental edges." - Allmusic.com, ****1/2 out of 5

" "After all the hype and the Birdies performance that got people talking...it doesn't rock as much as anticipated. A few numbers sound a bit turgid and tired, while other do show signs of promise. Not a rocker's wet dream, but (only just) a credible example of not totally self indulgent art-rock weirdness and geeky alienation. Buy for your weird elder sibling or ex-boyfriend who jabbers on abotu conspiracy theories and government cover-ups as a soundtrack for his life until he finishes at college and become a yuppy scum Young Republican and Wall Street banker." : Charlie Nix, NYC Snub TV, *** out of 5

Offline Infinite Jester  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2009 22:25:26(UTC)
Infinite Jester

Man

Latest New Update:

The third album by Ratner's Star , Fear of Modern Life, has been officially released.

The first week global total sales of the album are 103,775, a significant step up from the last album Further Thoughts About Politics and Culture. The sales of Fear of Modern Life worldwide and it's current [as of 16/09/2009] chart positions are:

U.K. = #6

U.S.A. = #9

Canada = #25

Europe = #49

World = #42

Although the album has charted slightly lower in the U.S.A. and the U.K. than the previous album, there is every chance that it may rise up the charts based on second week sales. However, the charting positions in Europe and Canada are the first the band has attained in these regions, while the world chart position is a significant improvement on the previous LP, which is very nearly at 1 million copies sold. The debut album, Ratner's Star, has sold just over 1,200,000 copies worldwide since release and is still selling

In the singles chart meanwhile, Living Under Gunfire has stuck at #16 in the U.K. and risen to #12 in the U.S.A.

Ratner's Star have done a brief run of warm up shows in South America and are ready to start their U.K. tour on Friday at the Bristol 02 Academy.