logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Nimrods  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2009 08:52:51(UTC)
The Nimrods

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Interviewer: Hi I'm here with Jimmy Him, Davey Matlock, and Kit Saunders from progressive metal band The Nimrods! How are you guys?

Jimmy:We're tired as hell but otherwise we're great.

Interviewer: That's great now for some actual questions *laugh*. Ok first off, for those who haven't bought the album, how has your sound changed since the last record.

Davey:Well we've gotten a more progressive and experimental style. Some of the verses will start out with just me and kit playing while Jimmy is singing and maybe even a single sustained keyboard note, and then the guitars will come in near the end of the verse or something like that.

Jimmy: We've also added a lot more bridges and breakdowns which give Kit more room to throw in some tight grooves and things like that.The songs are also more riff oriented with lots of variation thrown in as well.I guess I changed my soloing style and made it more emotional, less of a jumble of notes and more of slowed down approached, but there's still good technicality.

Kit:My drumming focuses a lot on tom-tom grooves and less on blast beats, though I still use them in most of the songs, I use less of them.I guess we're out of our usual brutal zone and into a new more mature approach of some sort. I still use double bass a lot though, it's great for accenting my toms, Danny Carey does that a bunch.I use a ton of polyrhythms too, very difficult but it sounds great so I'm gonna keep using them. I guess to sum it up my drumming ha a bigger latin and jazz fusion influence now but with a good amount of metal to add too it. I guess it would be like 25 percent jazz fusion 30 percent latin/world music 25 percent metal and 20 percent rock.

Interviewer: So this album focuses more on the rhythm section and smooth melodies?

Jimmy:Yeah pretty much, a lot less straight forward too, some of our riffs are really thrashy and brutal with like palm muting and stuff but we have a lot of more melodic heavy riffs that are really smooth or a blend of smooth and heavy.We use a lot of clean stuff too we have 1 track that's just me,Davey, and Jaska playing on acoustics, no drums or keys.

Davey: I get to shine on bass a lot here too, I managed to get a really heavy but clean sound that's very percussive, I heard this sorta tone in Korn songs and even though I'm not a fan of them I love their bassist so I decided to emulate him a bit.I still play with only fingers too and I have a lot of bass breaks were I'll play a little bass solo right before a heavy riff comes in. The production is really good so my bass is perfectly audible which is good. I managed to stay nice and tight on the songs too and I'm in pretty good timing so you don't hear those crappy extra notes.

Interviewer: You guys have started a new wave of progressive metal or so it has been dubbed, what do you think about it?

Jimmy:It's cool, lots of good bands out there, that flatters me. But I think they focus too much on the solos and no the songs or structures, it's all good, I'm not trying to diss because the bands are great but they need to stop wanking around so much, we learned that the hard way.

Davey: I like how that bassists are getting more attention. I think it's great, I wanna just jam with them all one day because they're all really cool.I added a jazzy edge to my playing and I hear it a lot in some of these guys, I think they rock.

Interviewer: You guys just got off tour in Australia and New Zealand, how was it?

Jimmy:We've got a decent amount of fans there, we're gonna tour there more though because we really wanna build a fan base so we can move on to Asia and South America to tour. It's a nice area though, nice and warm with cool people and great bars, Kit went diving but me and Davey pussied out.

Davey:I'm not getting killed by a jellyfish, no thank you.

Interviewer: You guys have contemplated breaking up a lot, will there be another record?

Kit:Usually we say nobody knows but we're certain there will be another.We've written 2 songs and we'll be releasing a promo single soon, don't worry.

Interviewer: Can you tell us what the songs sound like?

Jimmy: Ok sure. Basically there's lots of middle eastern sounding riffs in them with lots of tom work but little snare or cymbals. Davey's bass gives of a jazzy feel and the keyboards are really creepy. The songs are very melodic and I guess my vocals are more operatic, a Serj Tankian sort of approach.

Interviewer: Speaking of vocals how are those on the album?

Jimmy: Versatile!I'm getting comfortable with my clean voice but my growling and screaming are my favorite vocal styles. I can do this weird thing with my voice that sounds like growling and screaming at the same time, it's pretty cool. I can also growl pretty fast but my voice hasn't changed much besides my clean style.

Interviewer: What do you think of the music scene today?

Jimmy: Too much pop, I don't think the pop divas are bad it's just there are too many of them *laughs*. My girlfriend Bikki is one, there's that Aurora girl, Madison O Leary, Stephanie Fierce, Stephanie Ortiz, Angel Fierce, see there's 6 right there! I really like Failed Youth and PANIC and The Violent Pyromaniac enemies. I think music has become too superficial though, too glitz ad glam, not as much emotion even though there is a bit of emotion.Not enough metal though *laugh*. I guess the scene is ok but it could be better, that's just me though, I hope I don't get slag for this.

Interviewer: Yeah you might've offended a few people *laugh* anyway how's the work with Sisyphean going?

Jimmy:AMAZING! I love the guys, and I've got lots of ideas we've used so it's cool. I'm really enjoying it, we might win a birdie but I hope the Nimrods do most of all haha.

Interviewer: What was it like making the album?

Davey: A bit strenuous to be honest, we really had to put a lot of work into this because we don't usually work like this. we re-wrote a bunch and had to changed our entire thought process as a band for songwriting. A big influence for the writing was just listening to music together and picking up styles we liked.

Interviewer: What was it like working with Dan from the Black Gates

Jimmy: He's a great guy. Big influence too. He suggested some good ideas and even the ones that didn't work out we still tried because he never pressured us and we wanted to cooperate well. The sound was perfect so we're gonna keep using him until we quit or he wants to do other shit ya know?

Interviewer: Last question. What would you change on the album?

Jimmy:I'd add a little more aggression and we're doing that for the next album so it'll be PERFECT, so wait for us because part 2 will be the best we've ever done!
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)
Jimmy Him- Lead Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Davey Matlock- Bass,Guitars,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Kit Saunders- Drums,additional percussion
Jaska Latvala- Rhythm Guitar,Vocals,Primary Songwriter
Jack Burton- Keyboards,Keytar

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Sigmund-Vocals and Rhythm guitar
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
I knew you'd be back! *cries*

now now, *hugs and steals wallet*

xNightsidex wrote:
Oops I stumbled over and hit the "extend ban" button.

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

What's everyone else do in the real world?

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:
I don't believe in jeans...

well your shit out of luck because they believe in you.....

Offline The Nimrods  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2009 09:38:38(UTC)
The Nimrods

OOC:I at least expected some pop diva backlash
The Nimrods (Progressive Death Metal,Progressive Metal,Progressive Rock.Think Opeth/Dream Theater/Tool/Pink Floyd)

Satyr in the Frost(Melodic Black Metal,think Satyricon/Mayhem/Early Dimmu Borgir/Immortal)
Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline Aj  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2009 09:49:12(UTC)
Aj

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Thanks, that was pretty cool to hear from a band like you. It's good to know our hardwork pays off!

Billy

ooc: No one gives a shit about anything anymore mate. That Ecdysiast album thread took me like an hour and no one cares. Gah. Piss take. Still, good interview x
Offline PANIC!  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:04:53(UTC)
PANIC!

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2741 time(s) in 1013 post(s)
"Shit, I never knew we could be named in between two of the most hardcore bands in the business. Anyways, I agree with you but I've said this before and I'll say it again. The scene is dead. No artist are working their asses off to make it big, now a days all you need is a number hit off of generic, recycled crap and BOOM! That's it your big already. Let me stop here before I say something that offends pop fans because well I'm not allowed to anymore since apparently I'm in a alternative/pop/punk rock band. Nonetheless thanks for the mention, I find it scary to think that someone out there might be a fan of both The Nimrods and PANIC!. Ha."

--.` Ryan Ross Hernandez.
UserPostedImage
User is suspended until 16/05/4760 03:38:29(UTC) stephaniewazhere  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:09:06(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Was thanked: 7557 time(s) in 3439 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:

Jimmy: Too much pop, I don't think the pop divas are bad it's just there are too many of them *laughs*. My girlfriend Bikki is one, there's that Aurora girl, Madison O Leary, Stephanie Fierce, Stephanie Ortiz, Angel Fierce, see there's 6 right there! I really like Failed Youth and PANIC and The Violent Pyromaniac enemies. I think music has become too superficial though, too glitz ad glam, not as much emotion even though there is a bit of emotion.Not enough metal though *laugh*. I guess the scene is ok but it could be better, that's just me though, I hope I don't get slag for this.

Stephanie Fierce: Don't really know who "The Nimrods" are but hey we all have our opinions, but what people forget is that opinions are just opinions so I am not offended. But I do feel as if Jimmy feels threatened by the Pop scene, otherwise he wouldn't bring up so many artist and list them. Also, I think Jimmy doesn't know that I write and produce most of my songs. Many artists take the easy route and have people to do for them. I try to put emotion to my songs and put raw lyrics without
caring what people might say. I put 110% in my tracks. If he or anyone else (cough Ryan) doesn't respect that, he doesn't respect music.
And Hey maybe there many pop artists out there but if metal bands are constantly winning Birdies they shouldn't be complaining.

I also feel that bands have become too cocky, so cocky they don't realize their work is generic. Why can't people just respect music, whether is Pop, Rock or Metal?

Edited by user 11 October 2009 10:15:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Nimrods  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:14:22(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

I also feel that bands have become to cocky so cocky they don't realize their work is generic. Why can't people just respect music, whether is Pop, Rock or Metal?

OOC:Is this ooc? If it is I respect all music

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#7 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:16:11(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

I also feel that bands have become to cocky so cocky they don't realize their work is generic. Why can't people just respect music, whether is Pop, Rock or Metal?

OOC:Is this ooc? If it is I respect all music

OOC: Nope, its character.
Offline bikz  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:47:32(UTC)
bikz

Groups: Moderators, Registered
Woman

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 78 post(s)
About me as a pop musician. It isn't that there's no emotion in my music, he just pretends there's none because he doesn't like the emotions expressed in my music, and thinks that my fake "commercial" attitude is real. (It isn't. I hate people too much to be a "diva".)
About pop music in general. Just listen. If you can hold up a CD from one of the Emmas or one of the Yumis and say that there's no emotion in it and dismiss it as commercial crapola, you haven't even listened to it. Seriously. Just listen ....
-Bikki.
UserPostedImage
There is only one Rockstar Game - and it's your home! <-- still true (:
joshy, neon bras and full frontal neck nuzzling | blacked out by sean smith's neck | startled by joshy's furry presence
#9 Posted : 11 October 2009 10:51:28(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

Stephanie Fierce: Also the point here is that people assume that these artist have no emotion in their music just because they are listed under the Pop genre. I would actually like to know if Jimmy took his time to listen to each one of these artist's music to say what he said. and if he did what about it that doesn't emotion?, what about it that is generic? Elaborate please.
Offline The Nimrods  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:02:02(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
Stephanie Fierce: Also the point here is that people assume that these artist have no emotion in their music just because they are listed under the Pop genre. I would actually like to know if Jimmy took his time to listen to each one of these artist's music to say what he said. and if he did what about it that doesn't emotion?, what about it that is generic? Elaborate please.

Jimmy:I didn't say anything was generic, if anything's generic it's the "Diva" aspect, but I can tell you apart, at least for the most part I guess. No one sounds like Emma Blunt, and the Yumi's sound way different. But other than that, what I hear in the most part or at least on mainstream radio is nothing too deep. Some stuff is, some isn't, a lot of the album songs or which is weird but whatever, I just speak my own opinion I don't really care what you think about it.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#11 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:11:04(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Jimmy:I didn't say anything was generic, if anything's generic it's the "Diva" aspect, but I can tell you apart, at least for the most part I guess. No one sounds like Emma Blunt, and the Yumi's sound way different. But other than that, what I hear in the most part or at least on mainstream radio is nothing too deep. Some stuff is, some isn't, a lot of the album songs or which is weird but whatever, I just speak my own opinion I don't really care what you think about it.

Stephanie Fierce: One, "The Diva" aspect is not part of the music itself, its part of a style, attitude, and cockiness. I don't consider myself a "Diva" but people would assume i am because of my music. No one sounds like Emma Blunt because no one is her. No one can sound like you because no one is you but yourself. I'm pretty sure you know that alreadybut I'm just saying. No one can sound like me but myself. The reason why I'm going at you is because my name is in the list and you still haven't answered the question. Did you actually take your time to listen to each of the artist's music to say what you said and if you did what about it has no emotion? That's all I want to know because my curiosity is killing me, I don't really care what you think or you because personally it does not harm me in no way.

Edited by user 11 October 2009 11:12:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Nimrods  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:15:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Stephanie Fierce: One, "The Diva" aspect is not part of the music itself, its part of a style, attitude, and cockiness. I don't consider myself a "Diva" but people would assume i am because of my music. No one sounds like Emma Blunt because no one is her. No one can sound like you because no one is you but yourself. I'm pretty sure you know that alreadybut I'm just saying. No one can sound like me but myself. The reason why I'm going at you is because my name is in the list and you still haven't answered the question. Did you actually take your time to listen to each of the artist's music to say what you said and if you did what about it has no emotion? That's all I want to know because my curiosity is killing me, I don't really care what you think or you because personally it does not harm me in no way.

Jimmy:I don't listen to any Angel Fierce but I've bought your first album, I've heard Bikki's stuff of course, I've bought one or 2 of O'learys albums, I like aurora so I have her stuff. So yes I've listened to all of them

Edited by user 11 October 2009 11:20:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#13 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:18:49(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Jimmy:I don't listen to any Angel Fierce but I've bought your first album, I've heard Bikki's stuff of course, I've bought one or 3 of O'learys albums, I like aurora so I have her stuff. So yes I've listened to all of them

Stephanie Fierce: And if you did what about it has no emotion? and M has only two albums out. Her third one hasn't been released yet unless, there was a leak....

OOC: LOl, sorry to put you on the spot.
Offline The Nimrods  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:19:59(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:

Jimmy:I don't listen to any Angel Fierce but I've bought your first album, I've heard Bikki's stuff of course, I've bought one or 3 of O'learys albums, I like aurora so I have her stuff. So yes I've listened to all of them

Stephanie Fierce: And if you did what about it has no emotion? and M has only two albums out. Her third one hasn't been released yet unless, there was a leak....

OOC: LOl, sorry to put you on the spot.

OOC: the 3 was a typo it was suppose to be 2 lol

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline The Nimrods  
#15 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:21:27(UTC)
The Nimrods

Jimmy:I said MOST OF I wasn't trying to offended you, I even said a lot of the album tracks had emotion but not the leads, which really shouldn't anyway because they're supposed to be catchy or some shit.

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#16 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:29:33(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
Jimmy:I said MOST OF I wasn't trying to offended you, I even said a lot of the album tracks had emotion but not the leads, which really shouldn't anyway because they're supposed to be catchy or some shit.

Stephanie Fierce: I see what you are saying. Gosh clam down, I just wanted to know if you actually listened to the music. Oh and the leads ( have to be catchy in someway) whether you are Pop, Country, Rock or Metal. What I did with my second album is that I put some type actual "emotion" to all the tracks, whether is something like my heart beat (to show I'm desperate, nervous or happy), me moaning cuz I feel hurt or I'm horny, me screaming cuz I'm angry or me sounding cocky simply just to unleash the "Fierce persona"". It wasn't easy but the fans are pleased so far. I really want you to listen to my second album when it comes out, maybe you will change your mind about my music. Remember my first one was rushed and I hardly had time to put anything I wanted in it.
Offline The Nimrods  
#17 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:33:24(UTC)
The Nimrods

stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

Stephanie Fierce: I see what you are saying. Gosh clam down, I just wanted to know if you actually listened to the music. Oh and the leads ( have to be catchy in someway) whether you are Pop, Country, Rock or Metal. What I did with my second album is that I put some type actual "emotion" to all the tracks, whether is something like my heart beat (to show I'm desperate, nervous or happy), me moaning cuz I feel hurt or I'm horny, me screaming cuz I'm angry or me sounding cocky simply just to unleash the "Fierce persona"". It wasn't easy but the fans are pleased so far. I really want you to listen to my second album when it comes out, maybe you will change your mind about my music. Remember my first one was rushed and I hardly had time to put anything I wanted in it.

Jimmy:I do like the new one, lots of unorthodox stuff on it, avante garde stuff

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

#18 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:39:11(UTC)
stephaniewazhere

United States

The Nimrods wrote:
stephaniewazhere wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

Jimmy:I do like the new one, lots of unorthodox stuff on it, avante garde stuff

Stephanie fierce: OMG, How did you know I was using avante garde as my transportation through the album, though I did have a main vision of it.
Offline The Nimrods  
#19 Posted : 11 October 2009 11:42:16(UTC)
The Nimrods

Jimmy:Just by the sound, I listen to a lot of experimental music

Celt-Drums
Saxon-Lead Guitar
Sauron-Keyboard
Gris-Bass
Rincewind wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:

xNightsidex wrote:

UserPostedImage

Gildermershina wrote:
The Nimrods wrote:
xNightsidex wrote:
Sooo...

Sell pot and jerk off

JK, or am i?

At the same time?

Rincewind wrote:
Synxhard wrote:

Offline troymazing  
#20 Posted : 11 October 2009 12:00:58(UTC)
troymazing

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The Nimrods wrote:
Jimmy:I don't listen to any Angel Fierce but I've bought your first album, I've heard Bikki's stuff of course, I've bought one or 2 of O'learys albums, I like aurora so I have her stuff. So yes I've listened to all of them

Aurora: I'm glad you like my stuff. I think I'm different than the rest of the pop scene.

GirlSpice wrote:
Oh well.. she sits outside then. LOL!